PDA

View Full Version : Is Baseball just not what it used to be?

CubsBullsBucs
10-29-2012, 02:12 AM
I feel like baseball is getting more boring and becoming just not that interesting. I am a diehard fan and i have diehard friends, but none of us cared to watch the world series at all this year. The games just were not fun to watch this year. I give great respect to SF, they had a great year, but no one other than Pablo is fun to watch on their team. Yes, you can make arguments that so and so is fun, but get the point here, baseball is on the decline i now i see why. It seems like people care more about a post season run than the actual post season! (i am not talking about fans whose team is in the post season, but fans that dont have their fav teams in the post season). I was very interested to see who made the playoffs, but after the first round or so, i just simply did not care who won. Talking about the Superbowl, NBA Finals, or in some cases the Stanley Cup, even if you are not a fan of the game, you know who won. With the World Series, i am a die hard baseball fan and i didn't even hear that SF won until hours after the game. Yes, i wasn't watching, but nobody was really talking about it. Pitching is becoming more dominant, and hitting is on the decline because of the crack down on steroids. No, i am not suggesting that we make steroids legal, but watching dominant pitching game after game is simply not as fun as seeing balls fly out of the park. People would always tell me that baseball is boring and i would never understand why, but now i kind of know. I dont know, maybe its just me, but i feel that if the post season is not interesting for a nuetral fan, then something is wrong. To be completely honest, i did not care at all if SF or DET won, and i wonder if others thought the same. Sorry, but Theriot, Bumgarner, Vogelsong, Cain, Belt, Scutaro, Pagan, etc.... just isnt doing it for me. (Im not taking anything away from their talent at all). It was just not fun to watch. I think we need more polarizing players in the league. Sorry if i dont make any sense and please dont attack specific points i made, but as a whole, do you think that baseball just isnt as fun/exciting as it was years ago, due largely in part to better pitching and non-interesting players? If your team was not in the playoffs, were you really interested?

This is so hard to word and a lot of people obviously wont agree. Just wondering what others thought...

Sleeper
10-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Maybe cause the Cubs suck?

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Baseball is everything as it's always been, ratings are up, attendance is up, revenues are up.

The game is great

And as I said in the other thread

It was boring because it was a 4 game sweep and neither team had a special back story. Both were solid, good teams. Not great, and not likely dynasties (although the Giants are trying to make a case)

However, as a self proclaimed die-hard fan, I have no idea how a die-hard fan can call the game, or a game, boring. That seems rather contradicting.

metswon69
10-29-2012, 02:19 AM

:laugh2:

Yeah its kind of hard to watch playoff baseball when your team isn't in it.

Rush
10-29-2012, 02:20 AM
Sorry, but Theriot, Bumgardner, Vogelsong, Cain, Belt, Scutaro, Pagan, etc.... just isnt doing it for me.It was just not fun to watch. I think we need more polarizing players in the league. Sorry if i dont make any sense and please dont attack specific points i made, but as a whole, do you think that baseball just isnt as fun/exciting as it was years ago, due largely in part to better pitching and non-interesting players?

This is so hard to word and a lot of people obviously wont agree. Just wondering what others thought...

*Bumgarner

Kinda jumping off what Jeffy said, how can a die-hard not appreciate Vogelsong's story and the rest of the pitchers in Bumgarner, Cain, and Lincecum coming out of the bullpen? Seeing players like Scutaro batting crazy good in the NLCS and seeing great defense by Crawford, Blanco, and co. and just everyone playing for each other executing? I can see why it would be boring because it was a sweep and I don't want to make it seem like I'm questioning your fandom for baseball, but in my opinion, I think a die-hard would appreciate all these things and enjoy watching it.

CubsBullsBucs
10-29-2012, 02:21 AM

ya and it shouldnt be that way! the NBA playoffs are so fun to watch, even if my Bulls are eliminated. All the games are fun, but baseball, i just cant get hooked on it

dodgersuck
Baseball is better than the NBA and NFL combined.

metswon69
Ask any of the team's fans that were in the playoffs they would probably disagree.

metswon69
10-29-2012, 02:23 AM
ya and it shouldnt be that way! the NBA playoffs are so fun to watch, even if my Bulls are eliminated. All the games are fun, but baseball, i just cant get hooked on it

Basketball has inherently more action and more excitement at times than baseball.

Although i don't care for it personally, it has constant movement, theatrics, and action.

Baseball although a lot of us love it can be very boring when you get games like 3-0 or 2-1.

It's a standing around sport at times.

Over Da Pence
10-29-2012, 02:23 AM
You are just not a true fan of baseball. Panda is not the only fun person to watch. Giants scored a good amount of runs year round. Baseball is better than ever. It's not supposed to be a fast paced game, it's a a slow patient beautiful game. Does everything in your life have to be a quickie?

theproof
10-29-2012, 02:24 AM
It is what it is. You can't choose what teams play each other in the WS. I can understand why you thought the series was boring because of the sweep and pitching but saying that there where no interesting players on both teams is ridiculous. I guess every WS needs to have the Yankees or Redsox to be interesting nowadays.

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 02:24 AM

Honestly it just sounds like you aren't much of a baseball fan.

CubsBullsBucs
10-29-2012, 02:25 AM
You are just not a true fan of baseball. Panda is not the only fun person to watch. Giants scored a good amount of runs year round. Baseball is better than ever. It's not supposed to be a fast paced game, it's a a slow patient beautiful game. Does everything in your life have to be a quickie?

this is coming from a giants fan......... this thread isnt directed towards you. Im not saying i dont like the game of baseball at all!!! Im saying its has become more and more boring!

theproof
10-29-2012, 02:25 AM

Well this explains a lot.

CubsBullsBucs
10-29-2012, 02:28 AM
I have season tix to the cubs, go to many sox games, pirates games, and always center my vacations around baseball and visiting other parks. i love the game of baseball, i have MLB extra innings, and ive played baseball all my life. so no, it is entirely inaccurate to say im simply not a fan....

Over Da Pence
10-29-2012, 02:29 AM
this is coming from a giants fan......... this thread isnt directed towards you. Im not saying i dont like the game of baseball at all!!! Im saying its has become more and more boring!

Does everything in your life have to be a quikie?

Jeffy25

I love baseball for all the small moments. Every action, every pitch, it's interesting because it's a quiet, but interesting, and consistently strong strategical game.

Most people see baseball as 6 minutes of action crammed into 2 1/2 hours. Not me, every pitch has a lot going on. How the pitcher is attempting to set up the hitter, what pitch, location. The strategy as the game moves on. The way the bench and pens are managed, hit and runs, how the running game can be eliminated by the catcher, etc. How the players should be positioned. All of that. The game has a lot of excitement in the little things. But if you don't know about those things, or you don't care. Then I'm sure it is boring. But it isn't for me. I love those little things.

And again, it's because this was a 4-0 sweep. It's the worst ratings in the world series since 05 when the Sox did that to the Astros. Last years ratings were sky high because it went 7 games and game 6 was an epic extra inning game. That's just going to be inherently more interesting. If there was a 6th or 7th game in this series, it would have been more popular. A sweep is never popular.

metswon69
Maybe when the Cubs are in the WS one day you will feel different Cubsbullsbucs.

But yeah again watching baseball when you don't have a vested interest in the teams in the playoffs or the WS can be very boring nonetheless.

theproof
10-29-2012, 02:31 AM
I love baseball for all the small moments. Every action, every pitch, it's interesting because it's a quiet, but interesting, and consistently strong strategical game.

Most people see baseball as 6 minutes of action crammed into 2 1/2 hours. Not me, every pitch has a lot going on. How the pitcher is attempting to set up the hitter, what pitch, location. The strategy as the game moves on. The way the bench and pens are managed, hit and runs, how the running game can be eliminated by the catcher, etc. How the players should be positioned. All of that. The game has a lot of excitement in the little things. But if you don't know about those things, or you don't care. Then I'm sure it is boring. But it isn't for me. I love those little things.

And again, it's because this was a 4-0 sweep. It's the worst ratings in the world series since 05 when the Sox did that to the Astros. Last years ratings were sky high because it went 7 games and game 6 was an epic extra inning game. That's just going to be inherently more interesting. If there was a 6th or 7th game in this series, it would have been more popular. A sweep is never popular.

Well said as usual.

Over Da Pence
10-29-2012, 02:32 AM

I can't put it in words but you don't KNOW what you are missing. Baseball is not basketball okay? I love the nba. But u need yin and yang. Do not compare baseball to the nba. 2 different games. The spurs weren't action packed but in their dynasty era they were true champs

CubsBullsBucs
10-29-2012, 02:33 AM

i agree completly with what you are saying. those are the reasons that make baseball unique and great. im not attacking the game itself, but rather the interest level to fans whose favorite team isnt in the world series. Yes, giants and tigers fans are going to say the game is better than ever! yes the NBA and MLB are completely different games obviously.

metswon69
10-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Baseball is the same as its always been if not better like most of the posters mentioned.

It's really hard to complain about the state of the game.

If you want to complain about the state of any particular sport, complain about hockey lol.

(Insert What is hockey jokes here)

Over Da Pence
10-29-2012, 02:40 AM
Hey chicago guy do u know all the adversity sf went through to get here? Do y know the stories? It's the BEST season ever!!!! And hunter pence is fun to watch like Brian Wilson! And timmy the freak! Did u see pence hit ball 3 times with his bat? Or the way he swings the bat like a hockey stick on deck? The giants are Dam fun! Giants boring? Scuttaro hit like 375 with us. Posey won batting title. The team has personality. How dare u critique vogelsong! Do u know the adversity? Do u know we won 6 elimination' games? Just admit u r not as much of a fan of the game. You're into nba. I am too but MLB is great for true fans

Illa215
10-29-2012, 02:42 AM
*Bumgarner

Kinda jumping off what Jeffy said, how can a die-hard not appreciate Vogelsong's story and the rest of the pitchers in Bumgarner, Cain, and Lincecum coming out of the bullpen? Seeing players like Scutaro batting crazy good in the NLCS and seeing great defense by Crawford, Blanco, and co. and just everyone playing for each other executing? I can see why it would be boring because it was a sweep and I don't want to make it seem like I'm questioning your fandom for baseball, but in my opinion, I think a die-hard would appreciate all these things and enjoy watching it.

I can appreciate any Giants' pitcher except for Zito and Vogelsong. Honestly, neither one of them are any good at all. Give them credit for getting hot, but that's just how the playoffs go now-a-days, though... I guess.

CubsBullsBucs
10-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Does anyone feel like legends are retiring and no new ones are being made? im saying do you feel like there are any players these days that you will tell your kids, "i saw _____ play when i was a kid", im not talking about jeter, rivera, ortiz, etc...., but younger guys who will truly be remembered forever? once again, it might just be me.

Rush
10-29-2012, 02:45 AM
I can appreciate any Giants' pitcher except for Zito and Vogelsong. Honestly, neither one of them are any good at all. Give them credit for getting hot, but that's just how the playoffs go now-a-days, though... I guess.

Zito had some good starts, but all year was really inconsistent, I can understand that. Means more to a Giants fan than a fan of another team. But the way Vogelsong has come back from what he went through to get here and have solid back-to-back years and then dominate in the Postseason? Seriously, how is Vogelsong not "any good at all" and you credit it to "getting hot"? That just sounds ignorant.

metswon69
10-29-2012, 02:47 AM
Does anyone feel like legends are retiring and no new ones are being made? im saying do you feel like there are any players these days that you will tell your kids, "i saw _____ play when i was a kid", im not talking about jeter, rivera, ortiz, etc...., but younger guys who will truly be remembered forever? once again, it might just be me.

There aren't prospective legends out there?

I know it's early but you don't consider Strasburg, Harper, Trout, (Stanton for me) etc etc those type of players possibly?

Those players are some of the more exciting group of young guys to come up in quite some time.

CubsBullsBucs
10-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Hey chicago guy do u know all the adversity sf went through to get here? Do y know the stories? It's the BEST season ever!!!! And hunter pence is fun to watch like Brian Wilson! And timmy the freak! Did u see pence hit ball 3 times with his bat? Or the way he swings the bat like a hockey stick on deck? The giants are Dam fun! Giants boring? Scuttaro hit like 375 with us. Posey won batting title. The team has personality. How dare u critique vogelsong! Do u know the adversity? Do u know we won 6 elimination' games? Just admit u r not as much of a fan of the game. You're into nba. I am too but MLB is great for true fans

ok well you are an angry poster who just joined this month, and are a giants fan like i already said. but to answer your questions..... No, timmy the freak is not that fun to watch, especially now that he sucks. he is simply a freak, thats it. posey is an amazing catcher, but not a guy that my kid is going to imitate while batting. hitting the ball '3 times' was a freak play of baseball, has nothing to do with the world series or my thread. when did i say the giants had a cake walk and that they werent any good or deserving? idk if ur drunk or just a kid. but stop, you are a giants fan and this thread was not directed towards you because your team just won the world series, so whatever you say will be biased.

CubsBullsBucs
10-29-2012, 02:50 AM
There aren't prospective legends out there?

I know it's early but you don't consider Strasburg, Harper, Trout, (Stanton for me) etc etc those type of players possibly?

Those players are some of the more exciting group of young guys in quite some time.

you basically named the only 3. any more? and harper is just a kid so far, so to call him a prospective legend when he put up pedestrian numbers is dumb. hes a great story because he is 19 and in the MLB. but to call him a propective legend this early without any proof is silly. trout on the other hand, i can see your point.

iggypop123
10-29-2012, 02:52 AM
baseball is tough. if you fail 65 % of the time you are a hall of famer. it isnt particularly fun watching teams bat something like 150 with risp day after day. the offensive years spoiled people. i just think when their team isnt being represented people stop caring. that means you like a team not the sport. using this world series to cite a decline in the love of the sport is probably the worst example. it was not a compelling series, it was boring, it wasnt close, it was about risp failure, tigers had plenty of people on but they were allergic to rbis.
stories are for the journalists not the people watching.
its always going to be tough for baseball when comparing to football or basketball. there is always progress in those respective games. team gains yards here and there even if no td is scored, field goals happen. in basketball the sport is predicated on scoring and its quick turnarounds. baseball? no progress. good at bat means you made an out, there isnt a point for getting a guy to scoring position. people give outs on purpose(sacrafices)

metswon69
10-29-2012, 02:54 AM
you basically named the only 3. any more? and harper is just a kid so far, so to call him a prospective legend when he put up pedestrian numbers is dumb. hes a great story because he is 19 and in the MLB. but to call him a propective legend this early without any proof is silly. trout on the other hand, i can see your point.

The only way to have those moments is to see how those players careers unfold down the line (operative words being prospective legends)

Did anyone know Jeter, Rivera, etc etc would be those type of players in 1996?

If you read my post, i said possibly but those are some of the younger guys that yes people can look at down the line and say " I saw those guys play"

If you want to bring up other guys that aren't particularly young but still amazing how about Pujols, Cabrera, Braun, A Rod etc etc?

This was your criteria remember?

NYMetropolitans
10-29-2012, 02:57 AM
Whoever wrote this OP is on crack.

The end.

utl768
10-29-2012, 02:58 AM
I feel like baseball is getting more boring and becoming just not that interesting. I am a diehard fan and i have diehard friends, but none of us cared to watch the world series at all this year. The games just were not fun to watch this year. I give great respect to SF, they had a great year, but no one other than Pablo is fun to watch on their team. Yes, you can make arguments that so and so is fun, but get the point here, baseball is on the decline i now i see why. It seems like people care more about a post season run than the actual post season! (i am not talking about fans whose team is in the post season, but fans that dont have their fav teams in the post season). I was very interested to see who made the playoffs, but after the first round or so, i just simply did not care who won. Talking about the Superbowl, NBA Finals, or in some cases the Stanley Cup, even if you are not a fan of the game, you know who won. With the World Series, i am a die hard baseball fan and i didn't even hear that SF won until hours after the game. Yes, i wasn't watching, but nobody was really talking about it. Pitching is becoming more dominant, and hitting is on the decline because of the crack down on steroids. No, i am not suggesting that we make steroids legal, but watching dominant pitching game after game is simply not as fun as seeing balls fly out of the park. People would always tell me that baseball is boring and i would never understand why, but now i kind of know. I dont know, maybe its just me, but i feel that if the post season is not interesting for a nuetral fan, then something is wrong. To be completely honest, i did not care at all if SF or DET won, and i wonder if others thought the same. Sorry, but Theriot, Bumgarner, Vogelsong, Cain, Belt, Scutaro, Pagan, etc.... just isnt doing it for me. (Im not taking anything away from their talent at all). It was just not fun to watch. I think we need more polarizing players in the league. Sorry if i dont make any sense and please dont attack specific points i made, but as a whole, do you think that baseball just isnt as fun/exciting as it was years ago, due largely in part to better pitching and non-interesting players? If your team was not in the playoffs, were you really interested?

used to love baseball but hardly even care anymore because baseball has become the who will the yankees and redsox sign this offseason to a 100 million dollar deal

metswon69
10-29-2012, 02:59 AM
used to love baseball but hardly even care anymore because baseball has become the who will the yankees and redsox sign this offseason to a 100 million dollar deal

That just angers you because the Mets should be doing that too and can't/won't.

NYMetropolitans
10-29-2012, 03:00 AM

So so incredibly false.

metswon69
10-29-2012, 03:01 AM
So so incredibly false.

Yeah especially since the last 3 WS winners were not the Yankees or the Red Sox.

NYMetropolitans
10-29-2012, 03:04 AM
Yeah especially since the last 3 WS winners were not the Yankees or the Red Sox.

and especially since some of those moves have backfired in a big way.

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 03:06 AM

He is also, potentially the best 19 year old ever.

A few others had better years at that age, but not many.

Both he and Trout are the Mantle and Mays of this generation.

metswon69
10-29-2012, 03:10 AM

And i never definitively said any of those 3 guys would be legends.

I said "possibly" but like Jeffy said Harper had one of the best seasons from a 19 year old in MLB history.

That's certainly a good start for a guy who has his type of talent.

giants73756
10-29-2012, 03:10 AM
no one other than Pablo is fun to watch on their team.
Uh, what about the probably MVP, Buster Posey?

That's not saying much, considering how terrible the NBA is.

Well this explains a lot.
Yeah it does...

DerekRE_3
10-29-2012, 03:17 AM
If you don't enjoy watching Brandon Crawford play shortstop, Sergio Romo throw sliders and Marco Scutaro line balls into right field then **** you.

CHIhatzi333
10-29-2012, 03:21 AM
Once big market teams are good, baseball will pop again. The Chicago teams, Boston, Philly, dodgers

Over Da Pence
10-29-2012, 03:24 AM

I will tell my kids about the pence 3 in 1 at bat broke hit. The way he is a 1920 throwback player who swings the bat like a hockey stick. The epic speeches.

I will tell them about Tim the freak. And Brian Wilson and how romo did the tongue thing in the last innings.

Pablo's 3 homers off verlander. Verlander is another legend. Cabrera. The way verlander said wow.

Buster posey is a future hall of famer if he continues.

Other players who will be legends are Joey votto, mike trout, klayton Keyshaw, josh Hamilyon, and possibly Bruce Harper.

Plus we still have the Yankees and Jeter and all.

So I don't know what you are watching brother.

jakedajewler
10-29-2012, 03:25 AM
I thought the baseball playoffs this year were the best in a long time minus the final which was a sweep, the other rounds were great and the one game playoffs were pretty exciting

Coupon
10-29-2012, 03:27 AM
Baseball is everything as it's always been, ratings are up, attendance is up, revenues are up.

The game is great

It was boring because it was a 4 game sweep and neither team had a special back story. Both were solid, good teams. Not great, and not likely dynasties (although the Giants are trying to make a case)

However, as a self proclaimed die-hard fan, I have no idea how a die-hard fan can call the game, or a game, boring. That seems rather contradicting.

Are you kidding? Ratings are down, WAY down.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wstv.shtml

If attendance is up it's because they now count "paid" tickets rather than turnstile clicks like they used to.

The problem with the World Series is there are now too many rounds of playoffs. Because in baseball the best teams only win about 60% of the time and the worst will probably win about 40% of the time - over a large sample size - results in the post season have become almost random.

The teams that have made the World Series in recent years are uninspiring, don't have the best records, and don't even really belong there. I can't blame people for losing interest.

QueensG_718
10-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Baseball=zzzzzzzz

GA16Angels
10-29-2012, 03:33 AM
It's still the same great game, this World Series was just really boring. Even more boring than the 2006 World Series (which also had the Tigers coincidentally). But a lot of the series leading up to the World Series were good this year.

metswon69
10-29-2012, 03:33 AM
The teams that have made the World Series in recent years are uninspiring, don't have the best records, and don't even really belong there. I can't blame people for losing interest.

How can you call the last 3 years of WS teams uninspiring?

The Giants pulled off 2 miraculous comebacks this postseason and won the WS in pretty dominant fashion.

The Tigers caught fire at the end of year, beat a really good A's team, and then swept the mighty Yankees to get to the WS.

That WS last year was maybe one of the best ever with what Freese did in game 6 and how the Cardinals got to the playoffs in the first place.

The Rangers were a great story in 2010 and 2011 and let's not forget the Giants winning in 2010 was the first time since they moved from the Polo Grounds in Manhattan to San Francisco that they had won the WS.

abe_froman
10-29-2012, 03:36 AM
thats a pretty special ability,to know that guys you saw as kid was a legend and no one now will be for sure.that certainty of knowing just wow. having insight into the future about who will be a legend upon instantly seeing them in their first appearance.

so i guess we can just forget it guys. harper,trout,stanton,strasburg,kershaw,sale,posey( the kid just lead his team to 2 titles in 3 years,i dunno how thats not a legend in the making),mccutchen,ect,ect. despite what we've been talking and getting excited about, all the talk this year of the league being taken over by young stars at the all star game. because he says it(remember you have special insight that we dont) everyone is wrong about these guys and they'll all be forgettable

Rush
10-29-2012, 03:39 AM
No, timmy the freak is not that fun to watch, especially now that he sucks. he is simply a freak, thats it. posey is an amazing catcher, but not a guy that my kid is going to imitate while batting.

"No, timmy the freak is not that fun to watch, especially now that he sucks."

So because of one bad year after four phenomenal ones, including two Cy Youngs and the Babe Ruth award in 2010, he sucks now? I'm glad you made me realize that so I don't have anything to look forward to in 2013. Not like he looked like his old self coming out of the pen in the Postseason or anything.

"posey is an amazing catcher, but not a guy that my kid is going to imitate while batting."

I find that hard to believe. Posey is a star that will only get bigger. There's no doubt kids will emulate him.

Over Da Pence
10-29-2012, 03:41 AM
Listen Chicago guy. I don't hate u I see where u r coming from. But your thinking is a little incorrect. People who don't follow the game never will. People who only wanna see home runs are not real fans. Let the game be what it is. If u don't like it please don't claim you're a fan. If your cubs did what the giants did and u made a thread like this I would feel so sorry for u. Screw ratings. U personally don't get paid for their ratings... I'm trying to help u see the light. 2012 rules........... And super stars in MLB are overrated. It's a team game and it's a strategic and fundamental game mixed with some physicality. You said maybe its just you. I assure you that it's mostly you. Accept it.

ZitoAce
10-29-2012, 03:49 AM
The rampant steroid home run fest era is over, but that just means the game is balanced again.

Baseball is special because the defense has the ball. The pitcher 'attacks' the offense. It's a game that has uncanny similarites to life, it's a grind, a series of failures punctuated by triumphs. Baseball is a game of personalities, when you follow a team you get to know their players and eventually the players on the other teams, their quirks and tendencies. Some opponents you respect, some opponets you love to hate. There is no clock, it's never over until it's over. Sort of like death... we usually have a chance to recover from mistakes at least as long as we are alive and healthy enough to get around.

Nothing in sports beats the intensity of the pitcher-batter duel. It's as much mental as athletic ability. It's a finesse sport, trajectories, tiny margins of error. Raw strength plays a part, but it's only one component, and whole careers are often made without it.

Something you haven't seen before happens every season. This year my team came back and won historical amounts of elimination games in the post season. Someday your Cubs are going to get rolling again and you will be glued to the edge of your seat. There is no shame in losing interest during your teams down eras. Sometimes, maybe the personalties on your team may not capture your imagination so much. But eventually the stew hits the sweet spot.

I watched plenty of bad Giants teams during rebuilding eras. Sometimes with uninteresting players. But it's always in flux. Then rookies like Lincecum and Cain come along and your interest perks up. You start following a little more closely again. My whole family are fans and we feel lucky to have witnessed the great personality soups of the 2010, 2011 and 2012 teams. You get more invested when you like the players, it's not all about numbers and wins.

Games with goals on either side (most games) are by nature fast paced. It's so much different than baseball that it's hard to lump baseball in with other sports. And that's as it should be. Variety is the spice of life.

abe_froman
10-29-2012, 03:54 AM
I thought the baseball playoffs this year were the best in a long time minus the final which was a sweep, the other rounds were great and the one game playoffs were pretty exciting

same,i liked it alot.it was very exciting ,so many game 7's and the giants final run over the tigers was pretty fun(guess its only for those with a taste for fine pitching performances)

Quinnsanity
10-29-2012, 03:55 AM
Here's how I know baseball isn't what it used to be. I can talk casually with ANYONE about basketball or football. If I mention the name LeBron James or Kobe Bryant or even someone not as well known like Durant nobody in my life wouldn't know who I'm talking about. My mom, my sister, people I work or go to class with, anyone. Same goes for Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or any of the most well known football guys. If I mention Miguel Cabrera's triple crown (something that hasn't been done in 45 years) to someone who didn't know sports they wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

ZitoAce
10-29-2012, 04:04 AM
Here's how I know baseball isn't what it used to be. I can talk casually with ANYONE about basketball or football. If I mention the name LeBron James or Kobe Bryant or even someone not as well known like Durant nobody in my life wouldn't know who I'm talking about. My mom, my sister, people I work or go to class with, anyone. Same goes for Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or any of the most well known football guys. If I mention Miguel Cabrera's triple crown (something that hasn't been done in 45 years) to someone who didn't know sports they wouldn't know what I'm talking about.
That says more about big media/tabloids, who you hang out with, and possibly your geographical region than anything else. I'm rolling in baseball fans in my daily life. It's a big deal around northern California. You can't walk 5 feet without seeing baseball stuff.

Over Da Pence
10-29-2012, 04:11 AM
That says more about big media/tabloids, who you hang out with, and possibly your geographical region than anything else. I'm rolling in baseball fans in my daily life. It's a big deal around northern California. You can't walk 5 feet without seeing baseball stuff.

Exactly right. Game has not changed, the people have and the world has.

WadeKobe
10-29-2012, 04:11 AM
(1) Dominant pitching is boring? Get out of here.

(2) Home runs are more exciting? Nope.

The problem is that neither team was compelling. Neither team was interesting. Neither team was one of the better teams in their leagues. They both got hot at the right time. Aside from Verlander, there wasn't really an interesting player in this series. Even Miggy, as great as he is, isn't really an exciting player. Maybe Fielder?

I dunno. Both teams are boring teams and were not the best representatives from their leagues. Sometimes that sucks. But it, in itself, is what makes baseball great.

Someone on here once said that baseball is great because the playoffs are a sprint, but they are a sprint that you get to participate in if you qualify, immediately following an ultra-marathon. I agree.

Watching meh teams win is part of what makes baseball great. Even if I hated watching both of these teams with every bone in my body. I'd have preferred a Yankees WS championship over either of these teams, but it is what it is --- and that's what makes baseball great.

And for the record, no. The Giants are not and will not be a dynasty.

Rush
10-29-2012, 04:21 AM

The problem is that neither team was compelling. Neither team was interesting. Neither team was one of the better teams in their leagues. They both got hot at the right time. Aside from Verlander, there wasn't really an interesting player in this series. Even Miggy, as great as he is, isn't really an exciting player. Maybe Fielder?

I dunno. Both teams are boring teams and were not the best representatives from their leagues. Sometimes that sucks. But it, in itself, is what makes baseball great.

Someone on here once said that baseball is great because the playoffs are a sprint, but they are a sprint that you get to participate in if you qualify, immediately following an ultra-marathon. I agree.

Watching meh teams win is part of what makes baseball great. Even if I hated watching both of these teams with every bone in my body. I'd have preferred a Yankees WS championship over either of these teams, but it is what it is --- and that's what makes baseball great.

It's hard to become a dynasty, but with the core players the Giants have intact - Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner, Sandoval, Posey, Crawford, Belt, Romo, Wilson, along with the scouting and drafting department they have - why couldn't they become a dynasty? Everyone except Romo and Wilson are either 28 or younger.

WadeKobe
10-29-2012, 04:35 AM
It's hard to become a dynasty, but with the core players the Giants have intact - Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner, Sandoval, Posey, Crawford, Belt, Romo, Wilson, along with the scouting and drafting department they have - why couldn't they become a dynasty? Everyone except Romo and Wilson are either 28 or younger.

I don't think their core is that good. I think their pitching has been good enough that if/when they've gotten hot at the right time, it has worked out for them. Lightning struck twice. I still believe it's nothing but lightning and I don't think they have it bottled. Does that make sense? That's the best I got. I'm more than open to being wrong, and time will tell.

I don't think they've got the talent in place to become a dynasty. I don't even think I see them consistently winning the division in the future to come.

WadeKobe
10-29-2012, 04:37 AM
The guy is a idiot nba fans know nothing. I like the nba but he is an idiot.

Bro....

(1) If you really want to talk baseball, I'll gladly take you to school whenever you like.

(2) I'm a baseball fan. If the NBA ceased to exist, I wouldn't bat an eye.

(3) You're a Giants troll so far who has already had 2+ threads deleted for trolling. Come on.

I've been more than open and honest on this site about my thoughts/feelings regarding the Giants as well as admitting my biases on the topic. They're the champs. I've got nothing to say beyond that right now. If they prove me wrong in the future about them becoming a dynasty, I will gladly and graciously eat my crow.

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 04:47 AM
Bro....

(1) If you really want to talk baseball, I'll gladly take you to school whenever you like.

(2) I'm a baseball fan. If the NBA ceased to exist, I wouldn't bat an eye.

(3) You're a Giants troll so far who has already had 2+ threads deleted for trolling. Come on.

I've been more than open and honest on this site about my thoughts/feelings regarding the Giants as well as admitting my biases on the topic. They're the champs. I've got nothing to say beyond that right now. If they prove me wrong in the future about them becoming a dynasty, I will gladly and graciously eat my crow.

I banned him, don't worry :)

Rush
10-29-2012, 04:48 AM

NO!! SAY IT AIN'T SO JEFFY! He was our Giants forum mascot :(. How long? Permabanned?

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 04:50 AM
NO!! SAY IT AIN'T SO JEFFY! He was our Giants forum mascot :(. How long? Permabanned?

3 days

Rush
10-29-2012, 04:50 AM
:phew:

WadeKobe
10-29-2012, 04:59 AM

Not worried. I'd eat him alive.

giants73756
10-29-2012, 05:11 AM
3 days

Darn, I knew that was going to happen after that last thread he made. But this is what temp bans are for... if he learns his lesson he can stay.

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 05:38 AM
Not worried. I'd eat him alive.

:nod:

Knowledge
10-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Ratings are up? It seems like every time I read an article about baseball ratings, specifically the WS, its seems they are down. Maybe I just happen to read articles on baseball ratings when they are down. . . . .

lincecum=future
10-29-2012, 06:12 AM
I can see why you could say the World Series was boring with that domination but the first game was pretty crazy with panda and this last game was pretty good. But besides that I though the NLDS and ALDS was Exciting baseball

Knowledge
10-29-2012, 06:20 AM
I can see why you could say the World Series was boring with that domination but the first game was pretty crazy with panda and this last game was pretty good. But besides that I though the NLDS and ALDS was Exciting baseball

No disrespect intended to the series you guys played. I'm a casual baseball fan so when my team isn't playing, I normally don't watch, but the series you guys played wasn't boring, just ended quickly.

I think it has more to do with the league not properly marketing the appeal of the game and each team because San Fran has a big TV market. I haven't read up on the rating prior to the WS or kept up with attendance figures, so I could be out of the loop, but I feel like I am constantly reading about baseball popularity being down in the media.

GrumpyOldMan
10-29-2012, 06:59 AM
I love baseball. It's basically the same game it has been for many decades. It's slow at times especially with all the pitching changes they make nowadays, but to me it's still a great game to watch and it will be forever for all the lifelong fans out there.
The thing MLB has to be careful of (and I'm reading it a lot between arguements in this thread) is that while other sports are finding ways to speed up the games and increase offense baseball remains relatively slow paced. I love it the way it is, but I think a lot of young sports fans are having a hard time getting into baseball. I hope I'm wrong, but I know my grandson is 8 and loves sports, but he had no interest in watching the playoffs with the rest of the family. He was playing videogames instead.

7chuck7
10-29-2012, 07:21 AM

Baseball is better than ever. It may be that you are just becoming an old fart and many things are not as interesting to you as they used to be. When you stop looking at pretty women it is basically over.

Ian.
10-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Baseball is and always will be my favorite sport. If anything, its gotten better over the years.

A true die-hard wouldn't make this thread.

t_money25
10-29-2012, 07:53 AM

Lol yea right

Yankees90.
10-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Boring? No. Different? Yes

I think the fact that the players you were used to seeing growing up, and the teams you are used to seeing in the playoffs changing could have an impact. You don't have players like Bonds, or Griffey Jr. etc. anymore. And it's not all about Yankees vs. Red Sox in the playoffs or some 100 win team winning it all. These were usually things that jacked ratings up.

Now you have 80+ win teams going to the WS and even winning it all. You have more complete rosters, and not just 50 HR guys or a pitching staff that just dominates everyone elses. You don't have teams just coming in and homering every other team to death. It has become a more complete game IMO. A game where everything, hitting, power, speed, defense, pitching, fielding is all playing an equal role at times.

To the poster who brought something up about "legends in the making". Well, you may not see any now, but that's because they haven't been "made" yet lol. I think a guy like Trout, or Stanton, if they continue playing the way they do, definitely have potential to be legends. Of course, tasting the postseason would help too.

SenorGato
10-29-2012, 08:13 AM
If anything I'm getting more interested in baseball again after a short vacation. The game is changing and it's very interesting to watch it happen.

It's because the Cubs suck. Have no fear, in 5 or more years they might be able to make some moves to get better.

keymax
10-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Mentioning the NBA as an example disqualifies your opinion The NBA is in terrible shape and it seems to me that it's more of a soap opera than a real sport.

But one thing that I want to ask everyone:

Why do people say football is so fast paced? I like my fooball(especially college) but most of the time you see people stand around in a huddle and millions of commercial breaks. I mean a football game most of the time takes over 3 and a half freaking hours with maybe 25-35 minutes of net action and people say it's so much more fast paced than baseball?

getfoul
10-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Baseball would be better if they shortened the regular season by two weeks...156 games and play 6 day/night doubleheaders with an expanded roster spot.

I think Playoff ratings would be better if Game 7 of the World Series was scheduled no later than October 20. The internal clock wants baseball over by then. I also think the players would be better in the postseason with a shortened season...fresher bodies and possibly better weather than what starts creeping in in late October.

HowFit
10-29-2012, 09:25 AM
I did expect a much more tighter match bt Giants & Tigers but it wasn't. Would been more exciting if series were more challenged...

SenorGato
10-29-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm not even sure NFL football is as real as wrasslin.

pacofunk64
10-29-2012, 09:41 AM

This is the most offending post ever on here...please ban!

:D

pacofunk64
10-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I have to agree with a lot folks on here. I don't follow baseball like I used to and I have to admit I truly think it's because I am a Cubs fan and they do suck...all the ****ing time.

Sportfan
10-29-2012, 09:43 AM
not a chance.

i agree with the OP and it's bee like this for me since about 2010, when the red sox were really good. I don't know what it is but i just lost interest in it. I guess some of it has to do with games being every night and if you're busy it's almost impossible to keep up with it. Not watching your team through the season and just checking the box scores has a huge effect on the affection of your team IMO.

Of course on a site that is FOR mlb diehards you're not going to get a lot of people to agree with you, but just notice how the MLB even during the WS isn't as active as the NBA and NFL forums.

10-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Baseball would be better if they shortened the regular season by two weeks...156 games and play 6 day/night doubleheaders with an expanded roster spot.

I think Playoff ratings would be better if Game 7 of the World Series was scheduled no later than October 20. The internal clock wants baseball over by then. I also think the players would be better in the postseason with a shortened season...fresher bodies and possibly better weather than what starts creeping in in late October.
That's something I've said for years - shorten the season. I remember when it was a 154 game season. Of course there were far less teams then, but when you add more playoff teams, and playoff games, it extends the season into the 'nobody cares anymore' part of the year.

And get rid of that one-game wildcard playoff joke. Sheesh! The team with the better overall record getting in makes way more sense than a one-game elimination of a possibly better team.

thrice4
10-29-2012, 09:49 AM
i think die hard gets used when it shouldn't.....

10-29-2012, 09:52 AM
I love baseball. It's basically the same game it has been for many decades. It's slow at times especially with all the pitching changes they make nowadays, but to me it's still a great game to watch and it will be forever for all the lifelong fans out there.
The thing MLB has to be careful of (and I'm reading it a lot between arguements in this thread) is that while other sports are finding ways to speed up the games and increase offense baseball remains relatively slow paced. I love it the way it is, but I think a lot of young sports fans are having a hard time getting into baseball. I hope I'm wrong, but I know my grandson is 8 and loves sports, but he had no interest in watching the playoffs with the rest of the family. He was playing videogames instead.
With all respect to your overall premise, I think that's more of an indictment of "young sports fans" than the game of baseball. :)

GrumpyOldMan
10-29-2012, 10:16 AM
With all respect to your overall premise, I think that's more of an indictment of "young sports fans" than the game of baseball. :)

I dont disagree with you, and maybe it's just me, but I find that a 3 hour baseball game doesn't hold a young sports fan's attention the way it used to.

CubsBullsBucs
10-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I dont disagree with you, and maybe it's just me, but I find that a 3 hour baseball game doesn't hold a young sports fan's attention the way it used to.

exactly! ya, im a college student, so those saying im old and lost my passion, shut up. i dont have a kid, but i was using that as an example of my main point. there arent as many exciting/polarizing players as they used to, the MLB does nothing to draw us neutral fans in and get us excited to watch, Joe Buck makes me think im watching Rock Center with Brian Williams, and the list goes on and on. I still love the game, it is unique and i grew up on it, so i am and always will be a die hard fan. But this year and recent years past have not been a whole lot of fun to watch. From when i was 10-18, i always LOVED watching the playoffs and seeing who won it all. Now, i just feel like its not that interesting. Yes i agree, its going to take the major markets to get back to the WS to make it interesting for everyone, but i am sorry, the giants were not fun to watch at all. all the negative feedback i am getting is from giants fans. Why was watching the postseason run more fun/interesting than watching the postseason itself??

CubsBullsBucs
10-29-2012, 10:33 AM
i think die hard gets used when it shouldn't.....

season tickets, mlb extra innings, going to every game i can, played baseball literally all my life, etc..... maybe your right, but not with me. i used to be love watching the post season, but now not so much. so to say im a fan of the team and not the game is false. ill watch any regular season game thats on, but the postseason is lacking excitement and just seems very plain to me these days

getfoul
10-29-2012, 10:44 AM

It may help if they started the World Series games at 7:05 eastern time.

When you know you can't stay up, or have the kids stay up until midnight, there's no point in starting to watch the games for some people.

I wish baseball thought about the future of the game more than just grabbing every last dollar today and not caring about the future. If there are fewer young fans today, there will be fewer adult fans 10-20 years from now. Then those kids have kids and they won't play the game or watch the game. The decisions they make today could impact the game for decades.

miller74
10-29-2012, 10:46 AM

If you didnt find the last month and a half of baseball entertaining, your not a baseball fan.

Infamous916
10-29-2012, 10:48 AM
season tickets, mlb extra innings, going to every game i can, played baseball literally all my life, etc..... maybe your right, but not with me. i used to be love watching the post season, but now not so much. so to say im a fan of the team and not the game is false. ill watch any regular season game thats on, but the postseason is lacking excitement and just seems very plain to me these days

How can you say last years World Series isn't exciting? A true fan would've enjoyed that series, regardless of who's teams were in it.

Diehard fan lulz...

Pierzynski4Prez
10-29-2012, 10:59 AM
My team wasn't in the playoffs, therefore it wasn't as interesting to watch, therefore baseball just isn't what it used to be.

What, you mean what it used to be back in 1908 in the good ol days?

CubsBullsBucs
10-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Yup, ur totally right, glad someone gets my point. No but really, the sox were in first place all yearr and they never sold out. Sox fans almost had a care a leads attitude, like cmon. If ur in first place, u should at least get increased attendance from your fans! And A.J. is gonna leave buddy, change ur name. I'll miss him, the only grain of true rivalry left between the cubs and sox....

Kelly Gruber
10-29-2012, 11:26 AM
I think anytime there is a sweep in the Finals of any sport people say it's boring. Don't think it's baseball's fault.

JobaRules26
10-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Last years WS was crazy awesome. I didnt watch this year. I have no desire to watch a Giants-Tigers WS. Sure the game has changed. The days of 2 guys with 60+ home runs are probably over but I enjoy seeing a dominate pitching performance too. Not to mention we just had a guy hit for the Triple Crown. Congrats Miggy. I think its as exciting as its ever been, just in a different way.

Driven
10-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Ratings are down, and have been declining for years. Viewership for games 1 and 2 were down 15 percent from last year, even though the markets were quite equal.

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Ratings are down, and have been declining for years. Viewership for games 1 and 2 were down 15 percent from last year, even though the markets were quite equal.

In the World Series, yes.

But I was referring to baseball in general. Across the board, the ratings are up for the sport in general.

Driven
10-29-2012, 11:56 AM
In the World Series, yes.

But I was referring to baseball in general. Across the board, the ratings are up for the sport in general.
The problem is that those ratings are mostly due to the market that they are in. It's hard to take anything out of those ratings, especially when there are differences in the scheduling. If you can provide more info then "ratings are up" I'll listen. But I need to know the exact details and the exact breakdowns.

The fact of the matter is that the World Series did horrible ratings, as did the All-Star games. These are national numbers that are far more important due to the fact that you're going to have casual and non-fans watching. It is important to note the markets, because some will spark ratings and others won't. But we're dealing with practically the same markets as last season.

Attendances and revenues are more related to the market. Markets are going to support their teams. NHL has very good attendances. Better than the NBA in many regards.

But when talking about overall appeal, basketball kills hockey and in my opinion has passed baseball.

Baseball as a business is going fine, but in terms of appeal and marketing, it's been on a slow decline.

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 12:00 PM
The problem is that those ratings are mostly due to the market that they are in. It's hard to take anything out of those ratings, especially when there are differences in the scheduling. If you can provide more info then "ratings are up" I'll listen. But I need to know the exact details and the exact breakdowns.

The fact of the matter is that the World Series did horrible ratings, as did the All-Star games. Attendances and revenues are more related to the market. Markets are going to support their teams. NHL has very good attendances. Better than the NBA in many regards.

But when talking about overall appeal, basketball kills hockey and in my opinion has passed baseball.

Most definitely, context is everything here.

Just in general, more fans are watching their team in their market on a nightly basis.

It also helps that the population is also up, and that there are actually local tv markets. It isn't really an indicator of the sport being more healthy necessarily, but it is a sign.

All Star game and the World Series ratings have greatly diminished.

MetsFanatic19
10-29-2012, 12:04 PM
I watch every Mets game, try to watch every postseason game, watch the MLB Network and Baseball Tonight as much as I can. I would go to see any game in person, whether it be a Subway World Series, or an Astros vs Twins Tuesday night game in freezing September.

I love baseball, no matter how boring it may seem to others.

getfoul
10-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Most definitely, context is everything here.

Just in general, more fans are watching their team in their market on a nightly basis.

It also helps that the population is also up, and that there are actually local tv markets. It isn't really an indicator of the sport being more healthy necessarily, but it is a sign.

All Star game and the World Series ratings have greatly diminished.

And it's possible MLB doesn't really care about October ratings. They know they have 2,430 regular season games that they're trying to draw fans to their own team...either by going to the park or watching on TV or internet.

Adding the second wildcard team brings in more interest for more teams later into September, which helps that goal.

Maybe the 26-43 postseason games just don't matter that much to the overall health of the game. As a real fan of the sport, I want the postseason to be the strength of baseball. But to the league, they just may not care at all.

10-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey, I'm an old basterd now, been a die-hard Giants fan over 50 years. And I just don't think the younger fans respect and appreciate the game for what it is.

As a Giants fan, I'm a natural Dodger hater. But my love of the game is more important to me than the hatred of our life-long rivals. As much as I dislike the Dodgers, I respect our rivalry enough to give them credit if/when due. I don't see that same respect in the younger generations. They equate hating a rival as being a fan. There's no appreciation of the history and traditions of the game. And to me, baseball is all about tradition and history.

Love the game first, then your team. Hatred has no place in sports. I think, and hope, that as these younger folks get older, they will realize how truly ugly hatred - of any kind - is. Hatred is what Brian Stowe faced. That's not what sports or being a fan is about. Bottom line is that it's a game. It's for fun and entertainment. And hatred and bitterness have no place in it.

Something I grew up learning, that you never hear about anymore, is sportsmanship. When you go out there and play your butt off, the other guys play their butts off, and when the game is over - win or lose - you hold your head up and shake the other guys' hands and tell them, "great game".

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Hey, I'm an old basterd now, been a die-hard Giants fan over 50 years. And I just don't think the younger fans respect and appreciate the game for what it is.

As a Giants fan, I'm a natural Dodger hater. But my love of the game is more important to me than the hatred of our life-long rivals. As much as I dislike the Dodgers, I respect our rivalry enough to give them credit if/when due. I don't see that same respect in the younger generations. They equate hating a rival as being a fan. There's no appreciation of the history and traditions of the game. And to me, baseball is all about tradition and history.

Love the game first, then your team. Hatred has no place in sports. I think, and hope, that as these younger folks get older, they will realize how truly ugly hatred - of any kind - is. Hatred is what Brian Stowe faced. That's not what sports or being a fan is about. Bottom line is that it's a game. It's for fun and entertainment. And hatred and bitterness have no place in it.

Something I grew up learning, that you never hear about anymore, is sportsmanship. When you go out there and play your butt off, the other guys play their butts off, and when the game is over - win or lose - you hold your head up and shake the other guys' hands and tell them, "great game".

:clap:

Giambino16
10-29-2012, 12:33 PM

The game is great

Attendance isnt up. Its actually declined a lot. Yankees used to average over 50,000 a game, even in regular season. In the playoffs they couldnt even get over 45,000... In the playoffs!

getfoul
10-29-2012, 12:35 PM

This made my day. Thank you.

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Attendance isnt up. Its actually declined a lot. Yankees used to average over 50,000 a game, even in regular season. In the playoffs they couldnt even get over 45,000... In the playoffs!

It has been consistently increasing almost every season (minus 09).

And the Yankees did that to themselves, you have to mortgage your house to attend a game.

Around the league, attendance is up.

Giambino16
10-29-2012, 12:41 PM

Your saying its bad to hate teams? I respectfully disagree with you there. I think hating teams makes the game so fun! Because not only do you always root for your favorite team to win, but you also always root for your least favorite team to lose, which I think just makes the game a lot more interesting. I dont give the yankees credit. I hate them, and im fine with that because that makes me more interested in the game. I understand sportsmanship, but whats the fun in that?
Havent you ever heard the saying "teams you love to hate"? Its because its honestly fun hating a team.

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Your saying its bad to hate teams? I respectfully disagree with you there. I think hating teams makes the game so fun! Because not only do you always root for your favorite team to win, but you also always root for your least favorite team to lose, which I think just makes the game a lot more interesting. I dont give the yankees credit. I hate them, and im fine with that because that makes me more interested in the game. I understand sportsmanship, but whats the fun in that?
Havent you ever heard the saying "teams you love to hate"? Its because its honestly fun hating a team.

I will never, in my lifetime, understand the idea of 'rooting against' someone or a team.

Same with booing, but I think I'm more like #24 here.

I will never be able to hate a team, and it makes no sense to me to do it. To each their own, but it doesn't make sense to me to hate someone.

ManRam
10-29-2012, 01:06 PM
The MLB is still going strong. Attendance is up, teams are worth more than ever and revenue is strong. TV viewership has dropped drastically, but some of that could be due to the attendance climb. The World Series TV ratings are all time lows right now. Fox, TBS and ESPN had their worst seasons in terms of viewership in 7 years. Fox's Saturday games averaged a 1.7 rating this year...and have been steadily declining since 2001. ESPN regular season games barely cracked a 1.0 rating this season (including Sunday night games). TBS ratings are the lowest ever and have decreased every year.

Generally it's doing as well as it has recently. It isn't growing at a far more impressive rate than baseball, both domestically and overseas. The NBA's global prowess is on its own level right now. It has more lucrative TV deals than the MLB does. 238 regular season games were shown on TV last year. Its stars are more marketable. The Finals ratings have been stellar the last 3 seasons, significantly better than World Series ratings. ABC averaged a 3.3 rating, up from 2010-2011. TNT games pulled in a 1.7, up slightly from the year before. The highest rated games in TNT history all came last year. Both channels have steadily seen increases over recent years, even increased as high as 20%. NBA TV had 30%+ viewership increases last season. Everything in the NBA is trending up.

If the NBA hasn't already surpassed the MLB, you have to think it will soon. The NFL is obviously in its own tier right now.

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 01:09 PM
What kind of tv deals do NBA teams?

Half the teams in the NBA lost money last year, correct? How is it in a position so surpass the MLB when the financial structure of the league is still in question?

It seems like the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, Heat etc carry the rest of the league financially, is there some truth to that perception, or am I just greatly ignorant on how the NBA is doing?

keymax
10-29-2012, 01:14 PM

But 3 and a half hours of football(or mostly commercials) obviously do. The length of the game hasn't anything to do with the decline of popularity with young people.

I think most people love the big hits, the explosive plays, the dunks in football or basketball more than they like the X's and O's or the strategy of the game. To love baseball it's essential to know the situation of the game to really appreciate it.
And one thing I've learned is that people love to overreact. In a 162 game season it's really hard to get worked up over a single loss. TV networks and radio stations fuel that with endless football talk. I mean they talk about Jay Cutler's freaking body language all the time.

Basketball and football are star driven leagues and baseball obviously isn't. So you get less storylines and talking points when your utility infielder drives in the game winning run. And considering how popular TMZ is, everyone loves stories about celebrities ;)

And let's not pretend that gambling doesn't help the popularity of the NFL.

VRP723
10-29-2012, 01:16 PM

The game is great

Yup

Yup

Umm, Mike Trout and Bryce Harper just had two of the greatest seasons ever at 20 and 19 respectively. There's a catcher who's won 2 rings in 2.5 seasons. There's a 24 year old who should win his 2nd Cy Young Award and just won the Roberto Clemente Award.

The MLB is still going strong. Attendance is up, teams are worth more than ever and revenue is strong. TV viewership has dropped drastically, but some of that could be due to the attendance climb. The World Series TV ratings are all time lows right now. Fox, TBS and ESPN had their worst seasons in terms of viewership in 7 years. Fox's Saturday games averaged a 1.7 rating this year...and have been steadily declining since 2001. ESPN regular season games barely cracked a 1.0 rating this season (including Sunday night games). TBS ratings are the lowest ever and have decreased every year.

Generally it's doing as well as it has recently. It isn't growing at a far more impressive rate than baseball, both domestically and overseas. The NBA's global prowess is on its own level right now. It has more lucrative TV deals than the MLB does. 238 regular season games were shown on TV last year. Its stars are more marketable. The Finals ratings have been stellar the last 3 seasons, significantly better than World Series ratings. ABC averaged a 3.3 rating, up from 2010-2011. TNT games pulled in a 1.7, up slightly from the year before. The highest rated games in TNT history all came last year. Both channels have steadily seen increases over recent years, even increased as high as 20%. NBA TV had 30%+ viewership increases last season. Everything in the NBA is trending up.

If the NBA hasn't already surpassed the MLB, you have to think it will soon. The NFL is obviously in its own tier right now.

19 of the 30 teams lost money like, last season. Baseball naturally won't have the TV ratings that sports with half the games will, but obviously people are making money, as pretty much every big market team is getting billion dollar plus television contracts.

The Padres are getting 400 million for their contract, how much do you think the Bucks are getting for their games?

theslick1
10-29-2012, 01:19 PM

I don't know how you measure "surpass" but if you do it with gross revenues generated by the sports, the NBA is nowhere close to MLB. MLB generates more than 7 billion in gross revenues per year and the NBA generates only about 3.5 billion.

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 01:21 PM
But 3 and a half hours of football(or mostly commercials) obviously do. The length of the game hasn't anything to do with the decline of popularity with young people.

I think most people love the big hits, the explosive plays, the dunks in football or basketball more than they like the X's and O's or the strategy of the game. To love baseball it's essential to know the situation of the game to really appreciate it.
And one thing I've learned is that people love to overreact. In a 162 game season it's really hard to get worked up over a single loss. TV networks and radio stations fuel that with endless football talk. I mean they talk about Jay Cutler's freaking body language all the time.

Basketball and football are star driven leagues and baseball obviously isn't. So you get less storylines and talking points when your utility infielder drives in the game winning run. And considering how popular TMZ is, everyone loves stories about celebrities ;)

And let's not pretend that gambling doesn't help the popularity of the NFL.

Yup.

And I don't mean this in a condescending way (but it will sound like it).

But as a child, or someone with very little interest. It is very easy to follow a football or basketball game. There is always action. Football is up and down the field, basketball is back and forth with a lot of scoring and the final couple of minutes in each quarter are managed.

Baseball is a slow moving process, and unless you understand the game, you won't appreciate what you are watching. As I said earlier, there are tons of little strategies inside the game that most people don't notice or pay attention to. It's what makes the game so great to someone like me. But for most people, they see baseball as 6 minutes of action in 3 hours of game time. That isn't fun for people.

Plus, baseball is played everyday, football only on sundays when everyone is home, and basketball is every couple of days with a 37 month long playoff schedule :p

It's easy to understand why basketball and football would be more interesting to someone not interested in knowing a lot about the details of a sport, or not interested in knowing the lengthy marathon battle that is baseball. It's just a different animal.

But has baseball progressed for the worst?

I don't think so. I think there have been a lot of very good, very productive changes in the game. And once instant replay is expanded, it will only be better.

It's a great game, but probably not if you don't know what you are watching.

ManRam
10-29-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't know how you measure "surpass" but if you do it with gross revenues generated by the sports, the NBA is nowhere close to MLB. MLB generates more than 7 billion in gross revenues per year and the NBA generates only about 3.5 billion.

Sure. It's hard to judge these things, especially when you're comparing a 162 game season with 50,000 capacity parks to an 82 game season with 18,000 capacity stadiums. Also, the NBA generated 4.3 billion last year.

It's something that you can't definitively prove at this point. There are strong arguments for both being "more popular" at this point. I do think the NBA's growth is far more obvious and real, however. That's always a telling sign of "popularity". The global aspect I think it huge. The amount of revenue being made in China is growing almost exponentially. In the long run, that will be huge. It's the closest thing to a global sport that the US has (recently, by most every measure, toppling hockey).

On a personal level, yes, baseball isn't what it used to be for me. It used to hands down be my favorite sport, without a shadow of doubt. I loved going to game (been to 15+ parks), I loved watching any game that was on TV and I loved playing it. But recently, I couldn't care less unless it's the Pirates or the Sox. I watched maybe 30 minutes of playoff baseball. Do I know why I don't care any more? Not really (it isn't because of the Red Sox woes either, my interest started waning more than 3 years ago). I wish it wasn't true...but it is what it is. I'll watch any televised football or basketball game really, but sitting in front of a TV to watch the Tigers and the Giants play, even for the World Series, is the most unappealing thing ever. I literally watched ******* 3.5 instead of the World Series last night. Yikes...

metswon69
10-29-2012, 01:57 PM
If you didnt find the last month and a half of baseball entertaining, your not a baseball fan.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showpost.php?p=24110163&postcount=48

I said i enjoyed it personally for the compelling stories but to be honest i could give two ***** about the Giants and the Tigers as baseball teams.

I get the impression that if this was an East Coast team having the run the Giants had you would feel the same way.

Honestly, i enjoyed the last postseason better because of how the Rays and Cardinals got there.

metswon69
10-29-2012, 02:06 PM
It's ok to be selfish too.

I still love baseball and am a die hard Met fan but i'll be honest if there is a year the Diamondbacks and Twins are in the WS, there's a pretty good chance i'll be moving on to hockey and the Rangers (except in the case of this year :()

AWC713
10-29-2012, 02:07 PM
two parts. its not like the nfl or nba in that any fan can really watch when their teams are out of it. baseball simply doesnt have the excitement that the nba or nfl posses. Everyone will watch the super bowl. A lot of people will watch the nba finals, or at least the playoffs.

baseball is a slow moving game. so, unless your teams out out of it, it can be hard to really sit down and watch unless you have some vested interest in the game.

thefeckcampaign
10-29-2012, 02:25 PM
You are just not a true fan of baseball. Panda is not the only fun person to watch. Giants scored a good amount of runs year round. Baseball is better than ever. It's not supposed to be a fast paced game, it's a a slow patient beautiful game. Does everything in your life have to be a quickie?A lot of people have no patience for the beauty of baseball. It is all about the long haul; the past time. Like music, there is just as much importance in the rest as there is what is played.

HoodedSB
10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
They should lower the mound again.

j/k

dodgerdave
10-29-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm kind of been feeling that way too. But maybe it's because the Dodgers haven't gone to the World Series in a quarter of a century by next October.

lol, please
10-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Yup.

And I don't mean this in a condescending way (but it will sound like it).

But as a child, or someone with very little interest. It is very easy to follow a football or basketball game. There is always action. Football is up and down the field, basketball is back and forth with a lot of scoring and the final couple of minutes in each quarter are managed.

Baseball is a slow moving process, and unless you understand the game, you won't appreciate what you are watching. As I said earlier, there are tons of little strategies inside the game that most people don't notice or pay attention to. It's what makes the game so great to someone like me. But for most people, they see baseball as 6 minutes of action in 3 hours of game time. That isn't fun for people.

Plus, baseball is played everyday, football only on sundays when everyone is home, and basketball is every couple of days with a 37 month long playoff schedule :p

It's easy to understand why basketball and football would be more interesting to someone not interested in knowing a lot about the details of a sport, or not interested in knowing the lengthy marathon battle that is baseball. It's just a different animal.

But has baseball progressed for the worst?

I don't think so. I think there have been a lot of very good, very productive changes in the game. And once instant replay is expanded, it will only be better.

It's a great game, but probably not if you don't know what you are watching.
Well said.

:laugh2: over da pence with a championship-ban? I love it.

There he is! I was wondering when you were going to show up. Grab this plate while it's hot!
http://www.straferight.com/photopost/data/500/eating_crow.jpg
Thanks for that last comment by the way, it can replace your quote I am wearing in a couple years maybe. Might look quite stylish.

Well said. But it's easy to say from our perspective of recent times.

WadeKobe
10-29-2012, 03:41 PM
There he is! I was wondering when you were going to show up. Grab this plate while it's hot!
http://www.straferight.com/photopost/data/500/eating_crow.jpg
Thanks for that last comment by the way, it can replace your quote I am wearing in a couple years maybe. Might look quite stylish.

It won't be the first time I'm wrong on predicting outcomes. :rolleyes:

You know by now I'll eat crow. I was wrong. I'm more than comfortable with that. The Giants still were probably the very worst team in the NL playoffs. But they did what it took. That's why they're the champions. Congratulations. They deserve it. Most of their fans I know don't. Whatever. There are plenty on here who do. Congrats. I don't see you all in the playoffs next year. Dodgers win that division next year if Kemp is healthy. Quote me. It's fine.

SenorGato
10-29-2012, 03:46 PM
I think most fans miss the steroid era. I don't think very many people have adjusted to today's offensive numbers. Just a guess...and only one small factor in this.

lol, please
10-29-2012, 03:51 PM
It won't be the first time I'm wrong on predicting outcomes. :rolleyes:

You know by now I'll eat crow. I was wrong. I'm more than comfortable with that. The Giants still were probably the very worst team in the NL playoffs. But they did what it took. That's why they're the champions. Congratulations. They deserve it. Most of their fans I know don't. Whatever. There are plenty on here who do. Congrats. I don't see you all in the playoffs next year. Dodgers win that division next year if Kemp is healthy. Quote me. It's fine.

How are the bandwagon fans in SD? You must hate seeing them. :laugh2:

abe_froman
10-29-2012, 03:51 PM
I think most fans miss the steroid era. I don't think very many people have adjusted to today's offensive numbers. Just a guess...and only one small factor in this.

i have to agree to some degree.the people who are *****ing about losing interest in baseball, is because they do miss it("chicks dig the long ball" and all).its funny because most of them are the first to ***** about steroids and how evil and damaging to the game they were...but they miss the effects of it

(coincidentally,i lost interest in that era,because of it)

WadeKobe
10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
How are the bandwagon fans in SD? You must hate seeing them. :laugh2:

The worst aren't even the bandwagon fans. The worst are the droves of 18-30 y/o Bay people who flock down here bc they like SD better than the bay, then continually rep "Bay area, it's the best" and talk about the Giants the same way, irregardless, and start **** with LA people all the time.

Most LA people who live here are here because their job took them here. Most SF people who are here live here bc "SF is too cold, I wanna surf, it is nicer here". Yet, the Bay Area people still talk and act like the Bay is the best, and start **** with people who moved here for legitimate reasons.

The whole dynamic pisses me off and I hate seeing those people rewarded. Bandwagon fans? They exist everywhere. It's whatever.

thefeckcampaign
10-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Something I grew up learning, that you never hear about anymore, is sportsmanship. When you go out there and play your butt off, the other guys play their butts off, and when the game is over - win or lose - you hold your head up and shake the other guys' hands and tell them, "great game".Unfortunately sports have evolved to, "It's all about me!"

dodgerdave
10-29-2012, 04:47 PM

And we're entering the "bandbox era" with teams like the Mets, Padres, and Mariners moving up their fences.

WOwolfOL
10-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Personally, I don't think it's boring. But I do think it's easy to see why some feel that way.
It's not just the lack of drugs, it's the over-abundance of information that is being used against hitters. Pitchers aren't dominating the way people like to see. How many pitchers K'd 200? 300 will probably never happen again. You go 6 innings, take advantage of hitters tendencies, and give way to relievers. The game has become too specialized and the uber-information age is not exactly helping keep interest.

Although I admit, I watched about 4 games this postseason. But that wasn't because of the quality of play. I just didn't like the teams.

YanksNats1987
10-29-2012, 05:16 PM
To me baseball is fine, but it's my favorite sport by far so I guess I'm biased. Just depends on the person really because the game isn't for everyone.

Heck, I flew home just so I could see games 3 and 4 in the Nats/Cards series with my dad. Don't know if I'd do that for another sport. To each his own.

LongIslandIcedZ
10-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Isnt this question by in large an opinion?

Personally, baseball has been boring me more now than any time in the past. I'm not sure why, it just happened.

ChiSox219
10-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Sure. It's hard to judge these things, especially when you're comparing a 162 game season with 50,000 capacity parks to an 82 game season with 18,000 capacity stadiums. Also, the NBA generated 4.3 billion last year.

It's something that you can't definitively prove at this point. There are strong arguments for both being "more popular" at this point. I do think the NBA's growth is far more obvious and real, however. That's always a telling sign of "popularity". The global aspect I think it huge. The amount of revenue being made in China is growing almost exponentially. In the long run, that will be huge. It's the closest thing to a global sport that the US has (recently, by most every measure, toppling hockey).

On a personal level, yes, baseball isn't what it used to be for me. It used to hands down be my favorite sport, without a shadow of doubt. I loved going to game (been to 15+ parks), I loved watching any game that was on TV and I loved playing it. But recently, I couldn't care less unless it's the Pirates or the Sox. I watched maybe 30 minutes of playoff baseball. Do I know why I don't care any more? Not really (it isn't because of the Red Sox woes either, my interest started waning more than 3 years ago). I wish it wasn't true...but it is what it is. I'll watch any televised football or basketball game really, but sitting in front of a TV to watch the Tigers and the Giants play, even for the World Series, is the most unappealing thing ever. I literally watched ******* 3.5 instead of the World Series last night. Yikes...

+1 to all of this, though I had Sex on the City on during one of the games no homo

I don't what know exactly what caused me to drop interesting so severely. Couple ideas:

-Steroids (Barry Bonds cartoon numbers make a mockery of the sport)
-Complexity (Realized the game I grew loving for it's charming strategies is by far the simplest of the major sports)
-The athletes are much more specialized and imo less talented than other leagues
-White Sox winning in '05. I was there for Game 1 and it was amazing but every year since I have been less interested even though the teams Kenny Williams put together were intriguing to me.

You all probably think I'm crazy but I used to be a diehard, you ever score a game from your couch at home during summer vacation? I have. I still like going to Wrigley but that's more about the social aspect than the sport.

SenorPerro
10-29-2012, 07:08 PM
We need more Brady Anderson 50 HR seasons.

I would like to see guys like Pablo Sandoval, Robinson Cano, Justin Upton, Mike Trout, Yoenis Cespedes, and Chase Headley hit 40+ HR and guys like Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Curtis Granderson, Adam Dunn, Josh Hamilton, Albert Pujols, Matt Kemp, and Giancarlo Stanton hit 65+ HR.

SenorGato
10-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Personally, I don't think it's boring. But I do think it's easy to see why some feel that way.
It's not just the lack of drugs, it's the over-abundance of information that is being used against hitters. Pitchers aren't dominating the way people like to see. How many pitchers K'd 200? 300 will probably never happen again. You go 6 innings, take advantage of hitters tendencies, and give way to relievers. The game has become too specialized and the uber-information age is not exactly helping keep interest.

Although I admit, I watched about 4 games this postseason. But that wasn't because of the quality of play. I just didn't like the teams.

Pitcher usage is one of the most interesting things about the game right now for me personally. Its different, but I am learning to like it.

At some point they will find a way to inflate runs scored a little anyway. Theres plenty of data for hitters, parks are shrinking again, more relievers being used more often = less talented pitchers being used more often, more young hitters are developing better swing mechanics earlier with the aluminum bat being phased out, and probably a few other things.

long ball
10-29-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't know. I thought these playoffs were very entertaining.

lol, please
10-29-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't know. I thought these playoffs were very entertaining.

Agreed.

jonnydanger1
10-29-2012, 08:10 PM
ITT: Morons

Fly
10-29-2012, 08:31 PM
We're just at that point where old legends are getting older and past their primes and new ones are starting to be made.

NYMetros
10-29-2012, 08:32 PM
I could see how people could think the WS was a little boring. It was like I was watching a SF Giants baseball fundamentals camp. The rest of the playoffs were awesome I thought though, very entertaining.

Jeffy25
10-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Yeah, if you think about it. The Maddux, Clemens, Glavine, Bonds, Griffey, Johnson, Pedro era is over. And we don't have too many guys that are carrying the torch of +100 WAR players. Pujols, A-Rod....that's it.

This young blood that is entering the game could see some guys like that. It's good to have stars you really root for.

TRUTH-TELLER
10-29-2012, 09:14 PM
the older i got the less i cared about baseball

flea
10-29-2012, 09:25 PM
I thought this baseball season was great. Until early-mid September there were 8 teams in the playoff hunt in the NL and 8 in the AL. This was largely a product of the new wild card but it made for some very fun regular season baseball (say what you will about the new playoff format, I'm just talking regular season). We had 2 of the more remarkable rookie seasons we've seen in a while, one of the best seasons by a reliever ever, a triple crown, and lots of good young pitching. This has been one of my favorite regular seasons in a number of years.

However, the OP sounds like the kind of "diehard" fan that bases the season on the playoffs (and may only watch the playoffs for all we know). The playoffs are great in baseball but not for the same reasons as the other major sports. The NBA is basically a reality TV show that only gets interesting midway through the playoffs so of course that seems better by comparison - although the competition is awfully boring. The NFL is starting to get those same character dramas since it's become such a QB focused league and we've got a few dynasties winding down (Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, and Peyton Manning). However, this season had probably the best division series across the board in a number of years.

So, all that in mind, I don't know how a "diehard" baseball fan could lose interest. Maybe you're going through puberty.

AsfanSince99
10-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Yeah right... is that why this was the lowest World Series ever?

I could see how people could think the WS was a little boring. It was like I was watching a SF Giants baseball fundamentals camp. The rest of the playoffs were awesome I thought though, very entertaining.

This, lol..

ccugrad1
10-29-2012, 09:36 PM
I can only speak for myself, as a Marlins fan, but baseball wasn't exciting for me because my team wasn't in it. Doesn't necessarily mean that the playoffs weren't good. I had a lot of fun watching the Yankees-Orioles series, at least what I watched of it.

Public Enemy #1
10-29-2012, 10:09 PM
It all really depends. Baseball fans differ in my opinion. There are the hardcore fans that watch no matter if their team is in it or not, those who only watch when their team is in it and those that just watch the playoffs and find a team to root for.

It's understandable if people found this World Series boring... if you weren't a fan of either team. I could throw it back right at people who had their teams in the World Series in the past. 2006 World Series sucked, same with 07... Hoped 08 would be good but it ended quickly and the underdog Rays lost to the big market Phillies. 09 was the Yankees which wasn't even worth watching, how boring. It all depends on the team, players and level of interest. 2010-12 were great in my opinion.

I find it hilarious that people say certain teams are undeserving of a championship because they DON'T have the best record in the regular season.
Red Sox 96 in 2007 2nd Best Record in MLB
Phillies 92 in 2008 5th Best Record in MLB
Yanks 102 in 2009 Best Record in MLB
Giants 92 in 2010 5th Best Record in MLB
Cards 90 in 2011. Tied for 8th best record in MLB
Giants 94 in 2012. Tied for 4th best record in MLB

So the only real standout is last years Cardinals... wow, and that was a very exciting World Series as everyone knows. Playoffs are about catching fire... I feel like people discount teams that have won the World Series just because they didn't have the best record, which most years is a 4-5 game differential in wins. :laugh: 4-5 wins and your discounting a team winning a World Series? Come on...

Badluck33
10-29-2012, 10:14 PM
I think the Giants won the world series and no body cares...

lol, please
10-29-2012, 10:45 PM
I think the Giants won the world series and no body cares...

That's what it is.

LionsFan..LOL
10-29-2012, 10:49 PM
It still fun for me to watch despite just getting my heart ripped out. I have it second under the NFL for me. NHL would be up there but this lockout pisses me off.

whitesoxfan83
10-29-2012, 11:06 PM
It was an un-interesting postseason that's all...

Personally I think the new playoff format is ruining the game... and i'm not just talking about this past season i'm talking about the wildcard system as a whole.

If you're going to add in another round like they did then you HAVE to make it 7 games. It's ridiculous to me that a 162 game season boils down to a 5 game series where the worse team now plays the first 2 games at HOME. It's crazy.

I've argued for years, and will continue to argue, the only way 3 rounds work in baseball is if you make the 1st round 7 games, the LCS 5 games, and the WS 3 games. It makes everything much more exciting and deters the hot teams from storming through the 1st round like they have been recently.

However, I would prefer they just contract some of the garbage franchises out there and go back to just taking the top 2 teams from the AL and NL, start in the LCS round, and make both rounds 7 game series.

lincecum=future
10-29-2012, 11:54 PM

Personally I think the new playoff format is ruining the game... and i'm not just talking about this past season i'm talking about the wildcard system as a whole.

If you're going to add in another round like they did then you HAVE to make it 7 games. It's ridiculous to me that a 162 game season boils down to a 5 game series where the worse team now plays the first 2 games at HOME. It's crazy.

I've argued for years, and will continue to argue, the only way 3 rounds work in baseball is if you make the 1st round 7 games, the LCS 5 games, and the WS 3 games. It makes everything much more exciting and deters the hot teams from storming through the 1st round like they have been recently.

However, I would prefer they just contract some of the garbage franchises out there and go back to just taking the top 2 teams from the AL and NL, start in the LCS round, and make both rounds 7 game series.

:facepalm:

CubsBullsBucs
10-30-2012, 12:38 AM

that definitely ruined the year for me.... i agree with the MLB that the xtra wild card makes for greater drama down the stretch, but cmon! the braves were 6 games better than the cards, chipper played his heart out all year, and all of that was erased by 1 stupid play in game, in which a bs call was made. thanks for the reminder, that was the first domino to fall in this less than stellar postseason to me.

whitesoxfan83
10-30-2012, 12:52 AM
:facepalm:

Yea that wouldn't put it on par with the Superbowl or anything...

Less is more in the playoffs. The problem with baseball is they mixed that up in the rounds. The first round is not the round to make it 1-game or 5games.

ManRam
10-30-2012, 10:50 AM
One last thought I had.

For me at least, I still LOVE going to baseball games. You couldn't pay me to watch many of those games on a TV, but I love going to the park...even if it's a game that I have no rooting interest in. I'd rather go to a baseball game than any other professional sport (rowdy college basketball games are pretty amazing tho). I think this is true for many people. At least a lot of people I know say the same thing; they don't like watching games on TV, but going to games is still a blast. Maybe that's why attendance is up, yet ratings are struggling a lot.

There's a lot of talk about how NFL fans prefer watching games at home on their big screen HD TVs, with friends, food and cheap beer. A lot of fans prefer that. Basketball is more of a tossup..there are less distinctive pros and cons. I like going to NBA games, but you catch a lot more watching it on TV.

Oh, and this is the most trivial of things ever...but PTI lead off with 5 stories yesterday before they mentioned the World Series champions. I think they have a solid gauge on what the TV viewing audience cares about these days.

jetsforever
10-30-2012, 11:00 AM
I watched my first full baseball game on Saturday night. Thank god I was drinking while I was doing it because it was awfully boring to me. Hate it.

Black Betsy
10-30-2012, 11:38 AM
The Diamondbacks vs Angels or yankees I want to see a 2001 rematch now that was fun. WS would be fun.

flea
10-30-2012, 02:47 PM
One last thought I had.

For me at least, I still LOVE going to baseball games. You couldn't pay me to watch many of those games on a TV, but I love going to the park...even if it's a game that I have no rooting interest in. I'd rather go to a baseball game than any other professional sport (rowdy college basketball games are pretty amazing tho). I think this is true for many people. At least a lot of people I know say the same thing; they don't like watching games on TV, but going to games is still a blast. Maybe that's why attendance is up, yet ratings are struggling a lot.

There's a lot of talk about how NFL fans prefer watching games at home on their big screen HD TVs, with friends, food and cheap beer. A lot of fans prefer that. Basketball is more of a tossup..there are less distinctive pros and cons. I like going to NBA games, but you catch a lot more watching it on TV.

Oh, and this is the most trivial of things ever...but PTI lead off with 5 stories yesterday before they mentioned the World Series champions. I think they have a solid gauge on what the TV viewing audience cares about these days.

NBA personality/clutchiness drama, who is banging Kim Kardashian, and Tim Tebow must be the extent of the sports world these days, then.

ManRam
10-30-2012, 02:50 PM
NBA personality/clutchiness drama, who is banging Kim Kardashian, and Tim Tebow must be the extent of the sports world these days, then.

Or...football. And James Harden.

dee279
10-30-2012, 02:52 PM

No

willsayanything
10-30-2012, 07:00 PM
No

Maybe there are millions of people who WILL NOT listen to Buck and McCarver. And FOX is as canned as soup. The BS about bringing the fans closer to the game is elite stupidity. It's not far away from jock strap cam.

thomass
10-30-2012, 07:51 PM
move up the playoffs so that they dont interfere with football. when football is on, no body gives a **** about the tigers and giants, unless you are from one of those cities.

getfoul
10-30-2012, 07:56 PM
move up the playoffs so that they dont interfere with football. when football is on, no body gives a **** about the tigers and giants, unless you are from one of those cities.

There's no amount of moving up that won't coincide with the football season.

The fact is, the World Series doesn't get ratings unless it has big market teams or the Series starts 2-2, and then people will watch Games 5, 6, and 7.

And like I mentioned before, maybe MLB doesn't even look at the postseason as something important to showcase the game. They have 2,430 regular season games that they're more worried about people going to and watching locally.

nirvana235
10-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Baseball has way too much downtime and games are waaaaaaaaay too long. That combined with the decrease of attention spans among youth equals lack of interest.

MLB needs to do w/e it can to speed the game up a bit.

theproof
10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
So many babies in this thread. You know that no matter how you feel about the NBA, MLB or NFL being better than one another your answer will always be wrong if you pick one right? It's all subjective.

iggypop123
10-31-2012, 02:23 AM
let me add more gasoline to the fire

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/31/163951231/the-american-pastime-fades-in-popularity?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Vintage
10-31-2012, 03:47 AM
A cubs fan posted this thread. All i have to read is his username to know this is useless fighting over. :facepalm:

infernoscurse
10-31-2012, 10:55 AM
its not but just like basketball and football, they have all gotten soft

Pinstripe pride
10-31-2012, 11:29 AM

well the NBA ius a subtraction in that equation

Diggity D
10-31-2012, 05:12 PM
I think it's important to remember that baseballs ratings will always be conidered "down" because we can compare them to the ratings games received when their were only 3 networks.

Baseball will never pull the 30.4 again,but nothing not branded NFL ever will. Baseball dominates the NHL and NBA in regional markets - I mean, it's not even close. Sports Media Watch did a study on it a couple years ago. And when the playoffs roll round, history skews our perception. If the NBA gets a 10.6 for a Finals broadcast it's time to celebrate, the World Series would receive all gloom and doom reports.

The WS still fared well on TV despite gong head to head w/ NFL programming in 3 of the 4 games.

Jeffy25
10-31-2012, 05:36 PM
I think it's important to remember that baseballs ratings will always be conidered "down" because we can compare them to the ratings games received when their were only 3 networks.

Baseball will never pull the 30.4 again,but nothing not branded NFL ever will. Baseball dominates the NHL and NBA in regional markets - I mean, it's not even close. Sports Media Watch did a study on it a couple years ago. And when the playoffs roll round, history skews our perception. If the NBA gets a 10.6 for a Finals broadcast it's time to celebrate, the World Series would receive all gloom and doom reports.

The WS still fared well on TV despite gong head to head w/ NFL programming in 3 of the 4 games.

:clap:

Rivera
10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
i agree with the OP. when i was growing up i was all about baseball and up until about 08-09 i just cared less and less and less about baseball. before i could never miss a postseason game nonetheless a WS game i mean its the WS! a championship game! i love sports and consider myself a sports junkie! there is no way i would miss a pitch.

again, since about 08-09 i hardly ever watch postseason baseball and i dont think ive watched the past 3 WS not even a full inning. i cant explain why but i just cared less about baseball as i got older

i LOVE going to the games and to the park! i go to at least 1 game a year cause its become religious to go. i would much much rather go to a baseball game rather than sit infront of the TV and watch a baseball game. now its hard just to watch any baseball game that my team isnt involved in even postseason and WS games. i wish i knew why but i dont

Bowman53
10-31-2012, 06:03 PM

Correct.

Cosmic_Canon
10-31-2012, 08:59 PM

Felix Hernandez; Miguel Cabrera, and Pujols ? Then again, we won't ever see players hyped up as legends such as Mantle/Aaron/Mays/etc because many are pissed over steroids and baseball players aren't that big of stars compared to the pre-1970s. In actuality, Pedro; Clemens, Bonds, A-Rod, Griffey, and Manny should be seen as legends of the past two decades. While the guys I listed earlier(Miggy, Pujols, Felix) should be seen as legends of today's era.

SirHizz
11-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Baseball has way too much downtime and games are waaaaaaaaay too long. That combined with the decrease of attention spans among youth equals lack of interest.

MLB needs to do w/e it can to speed the game up a bit.

I think I can agree with that statement. I love Baseball, but the downtime is klling me nowadays. As a Red Sox fan, I obviously love the rivalry with the Yankees, but the games constantly lasted longer than 4 hr's...it's getting annoying at some point.
I used to see Beckett taking 5 minutes after every goddamn pitch. Pitchers should just speed up and throw the ball. That's why you gotta love pitchers like Buehrle pitch, he just receives the ball from the catcher and throws back to the plate around 8-10 seconds later.

thefeckcampaign
11-03-2012, 10:44 AM
I think I can agree with that statement. I love Baseball, but the downtime is klling me nowadays. As a Red Sox fan, I obviously love the rivalry with the Yankees, but the games constantly lasted longer than 4 hr's...it's getting annoying at some point.
I used to see Beckett taking 5 minutes after every goddamn pitch. Pitchers should just speed up and throw the ball. That's why you gotta love pitchers like Buehrle pitch, he just receives the ball from the catcher and throws back to the plate around 8-10 seconds later.How much of that 5 minutes is the batters stepping out of the box after every pitch? Back in the 80's the batter had to ask for time. Now they just step out, unless the pitch is in motion. The only time they stepped out back in the day was after they hit a foul ball.

dodgerdave
11-04-2012, 04:15 PM

I hate that it's theoretically possible for a 3rd place team to win the World Series.

hoggin88
11-05-2012, 01:20 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with baseball currently as the OP suggests. But nevertheless, I think it is has definitely lost a lot of interest in the public eye. Besides myself, I can hardly think of anyone I know who even watched a world series game. And honestly I only watched a couple games because I would have felt guilty as a sports fan if I didn't. In the other sports even non-sports fans will often watch. Even the Stanley Cup draws interest from the public, at least around here in Illinois.

I think it's just harder to be a casual baseball fan than a casual fan of the other sports. It takes a lot more patience and dedication, and that's something that Americans run low on these days (myself included most of the time).

Jeffy25
11-05-2012, 01:49 AM
I hate that it's theoretically possible for a 3rd place team to win the World Series.

Call me crazy, but isn't it possible for a 3rd place team to win the championship in all of the major 4 sports?

Baseball it's a lot less likely to happen at least.

And you aren't likely to see a sub .500 team in the post-season in the MLB like you will and do see it in the others.

PraiseJesus
11-05-2012, 02:23 AM

It was the lowest rated World Series in history.

My opinion is that the season is toooo long and by the time the World Series rolls around everyone is sick of Baseball and ready for NBA or NFL

I watch more MLB in the first month of the season than the post season

Rndy
11-05-2012, 02:23 AM
Baseball is amazing when the Cubs are playing good. Just like Basket and Football when the Bulls and Bears are playing good. It's called only being a fan of winning. It kind of means you're a ****** fan.

AsfanSince99
11-05-2012, 04:56 AM
I used to see Beckett taking 5 minutes after every goddamn pitch. Pitchers should just speed up and throw the ball. That's why you gotta love pitchers like Buehrle pitch, he just receives the ball from the catcher and throws back to the plate around 8-10 seconds later.

This and every other team has to sing God Bless America..