PDA

View Full Version : Are the Rockets now a more attractive destination for FA

alexander_37
10-28-2012, 12:23 PM
This off-season they will still have room for a max contract. But do you think they can draw someone in?

theheatles
10-28-2012, 12:31 PM
absolutely, the city is an attractive destination for an NBA player, the teams management look determined to win and now the surrounding players would look appealing to a player like Dwight Howard

KB24PG16
10-28-2012, 12:43 PM
things are looking up for them...what a change of events

Dade County
10-28-2012, 12:44 PM
absolutely, the city is an attractive destination for an NBA player, the teams management look determined to win and now the surrounding players would look appealing to a player like Dwight Howard

lol... Not happening with Howard...

But I do see BYNUM!!!

Asik would be a perfect back up for Bynum, Houston making moves:clap:

Chavacano
10-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Having Harden helps but the harsh reality is that big market teams will always be more attractive no matter how well constructed a small market team is.

^^ No because Houston isn't included in his shoe deal.

Avenged
10-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Yep but I doubt star players are going to line up to go to Houston just to go play with Harden.. Harden is good but he's not at that level yet. It all depends on how he does as the main option.

A potential Bynum and Harden duo does look enticing..

shep33
10-28-2012, 01:26 PM
They still have a very strange mix of players on that team. Probably not playoff contenders now, but they will be eventually. Don't see CP3, Dwight or Bynum leaving their spots though.

mvb815
10-28-2012, 01:33 PM
this team wont contend for a title they have too much money invested in decent players

lin, asik, harden

1 max contract player on top of this wouldn't win a title unless it was lebron or dwight

shep33
10-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Bynum may move, but I doubt he doesn't take the money. A lot depends on how he plays this year. Maybe he doesn't get along with Collins.

beasted86
10-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Their glaring need is a PF or SF, but unfortunately there really aren't any free agents this summer.

Al Jefferson will be a free agent, but I'm not sure it would be smart to commit long term to a core of Lin - Harden - Parsons - Jefferson - Asik. Also I'm not sure Jefferson is a PF anymore at his weight.

Igoudala will probably sign an extension midseason. Josh Smith is probably the next best SF, but again suffers from position identity issues like Jefferson and is probably not a fulltime 3 anymore. And again Lin - Harden - Smith - White - Asik ....is not a core I'd commit to long term.

THE MTL
10-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Houston has ALOT of money tied up into a few guys now. They probi only have space for one max deal and I dont think another max player would make them contenders.

Chill_Will_24
10-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Money talks

RLundi
10-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Having Harden helps but the harsh reality is that big market teams will always be more attractive no matter how well constructed a small market team is.

^^ No because Houston isn't included in his shoe deal.

This team is not small-market at all; Houston is the 5th or 6th biggest market in the U.S.

alexander_37
10-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Their glaring need is a PF or SF, but unfortunately there really aren't any free agents this summer.

Al Jefferson will be a free agent, but I'm not sure it would be smart to commit long term to a core of Lin - Harden - Parsons - Jefferson - Asik. Also I'm not sure Jefferson is a PF anymore at his weight.

Igoudala will probably sign an extension midseason. Josh Smith is probably the next best SF, but again suffers from position identity issues like Jefferson and is probably not a fulltime 3 anymore. And again Lin - Harden - Smith - White - Asik ....is not a core I'd commit to long term.

Are you serious?? Parsons is a borderline top 10 sf with no camp as a rookie last season. He is definitely a top 5 defender at the position. Then there's Terrence Jones who honestly has the highest ceiling of anyone on the team.

Patterson had a sophomore slump but I solid and motie has dirk nowitzki offensive potential.

JNA17
10-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Houston is a big market but Texas?

Ew...just saying lol. XD

Chavacano
10-28-2012, 02:07 PM
This team is not small-market at all; Houston is the 5th or 6th biggest market in the U.S.

^^ Still doesn't compare to the "NBA's" big markets: Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles and New York.

Supreme LA
10-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Does anyone think Harden was overrated a bit?

I certainly do. The guy was good dont get me wrong. He just didn't strike me as the max type player. He shoots decently, can get to the rack, but I hardly ever saw him pass the ball or rebound. He doesn't strike me as a leader but maybe I haven't seen him enough to judge.

I will say that I was very high on Jeremy Lamb during the summer league. To answer the question, it certainly couldn't hurt Houston but I don't see many people rushing to play with Harden.

RLundi
10-28-2012, 02:21 PM
^^ Still doesn't compare to the "NBA's" big markets: Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles and New York.

Definitely NY, LA and Chicago, but I wouldn't put Boston up there with the first tier of big-market teams. I think Boston and Houston are equal, all things considering. Before KG and Allen came to the C's, Boston wasn't exactly a hotbed for free agents- only once they started winning. Winning makes any market more desirable. If Houston starts winning like Boston, I put them right up there in the second tier of desirable locations for free agents right with Boston.

AWC713
10-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Houston has ALOT of money tied up into a few guys now. They probi only have space for one max deal and I dont think another max player would make them contenders.

people are really overestimating this.

they're paying 8 mil a year for Asik and Lin.

THATS NOT RIDICULOUS. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY'RE NOT PAYING ANYONE ELSE.

8 mil/year is very respectable for a sevicable big man. Deandre in making 11/year. Dalembert made 7/year and he was consdiered to be a great bargain last year...

abe_froman
10-28-2012, 02:23 PM
depends if they win.as highly liked all the guys are that they got.asik,lin,and even harden still have question marks about them.could be great,could be disappointing

Chavacano
10-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Definitely NY, LA and Chicago, but I wouldn't put Boston up there with the first tier of big-market teams. I think Boston and Houston are equal, all things considering. Before KG and Allen came to the C's, Boston wasn't exactly a hotbed for free agents- only once they started winning. Winning makes any market more desirable. If Houston starts winning like Boston, I put them right up there in the second tier of desirable locations for free agents right with Boston.

^^ Boston may not be included in the first tier of big market teams but is still a notch above Houston. And I disagree with the bolded part 'cause if it's true then OKC may still have Harden.

Hawkeye15
10-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Its weird, players who play in Houston end up staying here forever, meaning, they build a house, buy a business, etc. Tax reasons, cost of living, weather, night life, etc. But for some reason, recently, they haven't been able to lure big time free agents.

Having Harden locked up quickly, and STILL having max contract room will probably change that next year, as the Rockets can even get involved in a SnT with a lot of young assets they still have. I don't think they make the playoffs this season as they are, but they sped up their rebuilding process in a huge way.

RLundi
10-28-2012, 02:56 PM
^^ Boston may not be included in the first tier of big market teams but is still a notch above Houston. And I disagree with the bolded part 'cause if it's true then OKC may still have Harden.

I disagree. Houston is a bigger city and its warm-weather.

Also, there's no indication that Harden didn't absolutely love Oklahoma City. He left there solely because he wanted more money than Presti was willing to offer. I don't think it had anything to do with OKC's desirability.

b@llhog24
10-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Does anyone think Harden was overrated a bit?

I certainly do. The guy was good dont get me wrong. He just didn't strike me as the max type player. He shoots decently, can get to the rack, but I hardly ever saw him pass the ball or rebound. He doesn't strike me as a leader but maybe I haven't seen him enough to judge.

I will say that I was very high on Jeremy Lamb during the summer league. To answer the question, it certainly couldn't hurt Houston but I don't see many people rushing to play with Harden.

There you go.

lakerboy
10-28-2012, 03:02 PM

So much fuss about "big market NBA teams" getting the advantage. The truth is, there are 3 big market NBA teams and only one is doing well.

Instead of giving credit to Laker management, people say LA is doing well because of the big market. That's ish talk. The Clippers suck, the Dodgers suck, the Knicks have always sucked, and the Bulls suck.

BY THE WAY. San Francisco is a big market too. Warriors are bad.

Chavacano
10-28-2012, 03:08 PM
I disagree. Houston is a bigger city and its warm-weather.

Also, there's no indication that Harden didn't absolutely love Oklahoma City. He left there solely because he wanted more money than Presti was willing to offer. I don't think it had anything to do with OKC's desirability.

^^ By what you said previously, "winning makes any market more desirable" which would've thus result to an increase in OKC's profit or potential to increase which would've been able to cover Harden's money demands or convinced their team management to further invest in him.

Chavacano
10-28-2012, 03:10 PM
So much fuss about "big market NBA teams" getting the advantage. The truth is, there are 3 big market NBA teams and only one is doing well.

Instead of giving credit to Laker management, people say LA is doing well because of the big market. That's ish talk. The Clippers suck, the Dodgers suck, the Knicks have always sucked, and the Bulls suck.

BY THE WAY. San Francisco is a big market too. Warriors are bad.

^^ Having a competent FO helps too, you know. :eyebrow:

Showtime Steve
10-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Nice core, young team, most importantly, willing to pay.

Matrix3132
10-28-2012, 03:13 PM

They don't have a single max player, the lin deal is what, 3 years? That's nothing. NYC has ALOT of money tied up into a few guys.

YoungOne
10-28-2012, 03:17 PM
al jefferson could be a good fit

MagicBucsSox
10-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Harden hasn't even signed, ppl need to relax. He can still get his max thru S&T

astrosmaniac
10-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Or matched. He's a RFA. And everyone is reporting its practically a done deal anyway. Hardens here for the next 5 years at a minimum

MagicBucsSox
10-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Oh he's RFA? My bad . Hope he like tex mex. wish they didn't waste on Asik n Lin

RLundi
10-28-2012, 08:15 PM
^^ By what you said previously, "winning makes any market more desirable" which would've thus result to an increase in OKC's profit or potential to increase which would've been able to cover Harden's money demands or convinced their team management to further invest in him.

Not at all. Desirability has NOTHING to do with a team's finances. Just because a city is desirable to free agents doesn't mean the team is automatically flush with cash. Miami is very desirable, but if they have no money, they have no money, what does desire have to do with that?

It's very simple stuff: winning teams are more attractive than losing ones. I don't think this is a novel concept.

kblo247
10-28-2012, 08:55 PM

Houston is far more attractive to black athletes than Boston because of stories of racial discrimination there. Is one of the reasons Boston trades for and doesn't sign anyone of substance out right that often. In fact their biggest signings have probably been Terry, Sheed and old Shaq. They trade for and draft talent cause of the city as even KG didn't want to go there until they added Allen. It's just one of those things where you don't hear good things from non Celtics about how they were treated visiting the city and slurs directed at them, same with Utah.

b@llhog24
10-28-2012, 09:42 PM

^^ Having a competent FO helps too, you know. :eyebrow:

Why do you "^^" when you're directly quoting the person?

Chavacano
10-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Not at all. Desirability has NOTHING to do with a team's finances.

^^ Market desirability affects a team's finances both directly and indirectly.

Just because a city is desirable to free agents doesn't mean the team is automatically flush with cash. Miami is very desirable, but if they have no money, they have no money, what does desire have to do with that?

^^ Which is why I said "or potential to increase."

It's very simple stuff: winning teams are more attractive than losing ones. I don't think this is a novel concept.

^^ Not all the time.

Houston is far more attractive to black athletes than Boston because of stories of racial discrimination there. Is one of the reasons Boston trades for and doesn't sign anyone of substance out right that often. In fact their biggest signings have probably been Terry, Sheed and old Shaq. They trade for and draft talent cause of the city as even KG didn't want to go there until they added Allen. It's just one of those things where you don't hear good things from non Celtics about how they were treated visiting the city and slurs directed at them, same with Utah.

^^ Damn!

Why do you "^^" when you're directly quoting the person?

^^ Habit I got from another forum. :)

rockbottom2010
10-28-2012, 10:50 PM
kevin love might be next if t-wolves don't make the playoffs

jam
10-28-2012, 11:28 PM

I just peed my pants.

Jahari Kavi
10-29-2012, 02:10 AM

Lol, exactly....we aren't NY, LA, or Chicago...but after that we are just as "big" as anyone else......I say if we were to finish between the 6-8 seed, while Lin and Harden play well, then we can attract that big name FA....I look at the Dwight situation as the Lakers have a one year window...if they don't win the ring this year, then why in the hell would you stay if you're Dwight???....You'd be wasting your prime on an aging team who already had their window closed........Rockets positioned themselves nicely with this move...

Jahari Kavi
10-29-2012, 02:11 AM
al jefferson could be a good fit

I used to be a fan of his, but I'm not too sure about Jefferson anymore...I think I'd pass.........

RLundi
10-29-2012, 04:51 AM
^^ Market desirability affects a team's finances both directly and indirectly.

^^ Which is why I said "or potential to increase."

^^ Not all the time.

^^ Damn!

^^ Habit I got from another forum. :)

I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem like you have any idea what you're talking about. You're talking in generalities and in circles. Desirability in itself has nothing to do with finances, period. The owner and the market size/revenue dictate that, NOT desirability.

And logically and typically-speaking, winning situations are more attractive than losing ones, again, not a novel concept. This is why veterans like Grant Hill will take less money to go to contending teams- the possibility of winning a ring. Don't see how you can argue this.

Chavacano
10-29-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem like you have any idea what you're talking about. You're talking in generalities and in circles. Desirability in itself has nothing to do with finances, period. The owner and the market size/revenue dictate that, NOT desirability.

^^ Which are part of a market's desirability. Like the fans, the arena, the area, the team's track record, cap space, etc which may affect revenue directly or indirectly otherwise we wouldn't be having "big" and "small" market teams.

And logically and typically-speaking, winning situations are more attractive than losing ones, again, not a novel concept. This is why veterans like Grant Hill will take less money to go to contending teams- the possibility of winning a ring. Don't see how you can argue this.

^^ I didn't say that winning situations aren't attractive to players. I said "not all the time."

JasonJohnHorn
10-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Are you sure they will have enough cap space to sign a max contract? Lin, Asik and Harden are going to be making a boat load of money (though I do realize that the Lin and Asik contracts are back loaded). I know they got rid of a lot of contracts( Flynn, Dalembert, Scola, Lowry, Flynn, Thabeet), but I don't know exactly what their rooki contracts look like and how long the rest of the roster is signed for. I know Lin is making almost 9 million this year, as is Asik, and I expect that Harden will be signing for 15 mil.... that puts the team at 33 million with just those three players.... the cap is at 58 million, so if there is nobody on the books other than those three that will give them 25 million to work with, but I'm sure there are a few contracts that will eat up some...

Well... we'll have to wait until the summer to fnd out what they do with that cap space... it'll be interesting.

torocan
10-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Are you sure they will have enough cap space to sign a max contract? Lin, Asik and Harden are going to be making a boat load of money (though I do realize that the Lin and Asik contracts are back loaded). I know they got rid of a lot of contracts( Flynn, Dalembert, Scola, Lowry, Flynn, Thabeet), but I don't know exactly what their rooki contracts look like and how long the rest of the roster is signed for. I know Lin is making almost 9 million this year, as is Asik, and I expect that Harden will be signing for 15 mil.... that puts the team at 33 million with just those three players.... the cap is at 58 million, so if there is nobody on the books other than those three that will give them 25 million to work with, but I'm sure there are a few contracts that will eat up some...

Well... we'll have to wait until the summer to fnd out what they do with that cap space... it'll be interesting.

Lin AND Asik's contract are treated as $8.37M per year for 3 years in terms of cap hit.

SO...

Harden - $15m
Lin - $8.37M
Asik - $8.37M

Total Cap hit - $31.7M

The backload of the contract is only how much they take home on their paycheck, for Houston it's not the amount that gets counted against their cap.

They also have a number of expirings and non-guaranteed contracts that they can dump, trade, waive, etc.

They have enough room to get a Max player if they want one.

Htownballa1622
10-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Lin AND Asik's contract are treated as $8.37M per year for 3 years in terms of cap hit.

SO...

Harden - $15m
Lin - $8.37M
Asik - $8.37M

Total Cap hit - $31.7M

The backload of the contract is only how much they take home on their paycheck, for Houston it's not the amount that gets counted against their cap.

They also have a number of expirings and non-guaranteed contracts that they can dump, trade, waive, etc.

They have enough room to get a Max player if they want one.

:clap:

Funny seeing people's comments about large contracts when they're misinformed.

Wrigheyes4MVP
10-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Still way too much money for Asik lol.

torocan
10-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Still way too much money for Asik lol.

Name some better Centers you can get for $8M through FA?

Dade County
10-29-2012, 05:35 PM
They still have a very strange mix of players on that team. Probably not playoff contenders now, but they will be eventually. Don't see CP3, Dwight or Bynum leaving their spots though.

I do...

All 3 of them can bounce to a new team, and I wanted be shocked.

astrosmaniac
10-29-2012, 06:13 PM
The rockets have enough $$$ for a max contract even after considering rookie deals for next years draft and if they pick up options on Parsons, Morris, Patterson.

Also it's a great testament to Morey's foresight as a GM in how he structures his contracts for 2nd round picks. 2 years guaranteed, 2 more as Team Options. Imagine if parsons has a good year and then we'd have to worry about teams poison pulling him with deals like we did with asik and Lin.

John Walls Era
10-29-2012, 06:19 PM
It was already a tax free state so it might be attractive to a second or 3rd tier star.

John Walls Era
10-29-2012, 06:21 PM

Ever since Lebron left and went to his biggest rival in the East, nothing surprises me. Especially those 3 who have shown very little loyalty (not saying they're unloyal guys, but they all wanted to leave -- cept Bynum, but he didnt mind leaving kobe's team).

Daze9900
10-29-2012, 06:34 PM
"The Rockets are back!" (in my Amare' Stoudamire voice)

SINCESTARBURY25
10-29-2012, 06:34 PM
The rockets should get josh smith,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I like smith,,,,,,,,,,,, im from georgia,,,

Hawkeye15
10-29-2012, 06:35 PM

in 4 years maybe...

JordansBulls
10-29-2012, 08:45 PM
This off-season they will still have room for a max contract. But do you think they can draw someone in?

They always have been especially with the Yao and Tmac combo.

Ebbs
10-29-2012, 08:48 PM
I doubt it. I would say their best bet is Bynum

Matrix3132
10-30-2012, 01:22 PM

Don't bother, many don't realize how difficult it is to find a legit big man in today's nba.

I actually think asik could be a most improved player candidate...

WhiteSoxGod
10-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Houston is a big market but Texas?

Ew...just saying lol. XD

Texas is way better than California economically speaking. Tax-free state, Top business state, great weather, top economic climate, good education, budget surplus, it's own electrical grid (there is 3 in the country eastern U.S., Western U.S., and Texas) meaning lower energy costs (this leads to lower goods costs such as food, clothing, and luxury). Many athletes make Texas home in the off-season.Usually when athletes come here they stay.

Its weird, players who play in Houston end up staying here forever, meaning, they build a house, buy a business, etc. Tax reasons, cost of living, weather, night life, etc. But for some reason, recently, they haven't been able to lure big time free agents.

Having Harden locked up quickly, and STILL having max contract room will probably change that next year, as the Rockets can even get involved in a SnT with a lot of young assets they still have. I don't think they make the playoffs this season as they are, but they sped up their rebuilding process in a huge way.

Exactly. The Rockets still have a lot of Assets. They can sign a max, pick up all options, and still sign another $ 11 million contract. I doubt they would do that more apt to do a S&T.

Rangers72
10-30-2012, 07:11 PM

the city is an attraction? Have you ever been to Houston? Obviously not

WhiteSoxGod
10-30-2012, 07:23 PM
the city is an attraction? Have you ever been to Houston? Obviously not

Yeah Houston is nice, WAAAY better than Dallas or the DFW area. i mean you want to talk boring its the DFW area. At least in the Houston area there is shopping, nightlife, Galveston beach and the island, Woodlands Pavilion, the Galleria. You can hop over to Louisiana to do some gambling. Oklahoma is close to Dallas guess you hop over there and do some farming.

Rangers72
10-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah Houston is nice, WAAAY better than Dallas or the DFW area. i mean you want to talk boring its the DFW area. At least in the Houston area there is shopping, nightlife, Galveston beach and the island, Woodlands Pavilion, the Galleria. You can hop over to Louisiana to do some gambling. Oklahoma is close to Dallas guess you hop over there and do some farming.

:facepalm: we will agree to disagree lol

WhiteSoxGod
10-30-2012, 07:29 PM

You Houston vs Dallas has been happening for decades, lol.

Houston is bigger, better, and has more NBA Titles.

rockets-fan
10-30-2012, 08:41 PM

Houston was named the "coolest" city in the U.S by Forbes earlier this year...idk what area of Houston you've been to...but then again I'm guessing your from Dallas so that explains your logic.

IndiansFan337
10-30-2012, 08:42 PM

The only potential max contract players available this summer will be Howard and Paul. Josh Smith will be available too, but I feel that if you pay him a max deal you probably are not going to be able to field a competitive team. I think Howard is a lock to re sign with the LAL. Paul is a possibility to leave the LAC, but I do not expect it, considering the teams with potential max cap space.

rhino17
10-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Houston has always been a top destination for big time nba players. Clyde Drexler, Charles Barkley, Scottie Pippen, Steve Francis, Tracy McGrady, Ron Artest, etc have all requested and gotten trades to houston.

ChicagoFan4Eva
10-30-2012, 09:27 PM
No..

mrblisterdundee
10-30-2012, 10:29 PM
They absolutely are. The next step is getting a power forward.

alexander_37
10-30-2012, 11:40 PM

I love how no one answered it, yet people love to run their mouths still.

WhiteSoxGod
10-31-2012, 12:05 AM
Houston has always been a top destination for big time nba players. Clyde Drexler, Charles Barkley, Scottie Pippen, Steve Francis, Tracy McGrady, Ron Artest, etc have all requested and gotten trades to houston.

Exactly, most NBA top Caliber players have business advisers. They let them know the business and investment climate of Texas is superb. Then add in the versatility of scenery and activities. Texas is huge.

Quinnsanity
10-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Why is nobody mentioning the no state income tax thing? That's the dirty little secret behind Miami pairing up all three of those guys, they didn't really take less money, it's just a smaller cap hit. You save a ton without state income tax, Assuming Miami and Orlando are out of the market for top FA's Houston can offer more total money than anyone other than a player's original team (and I don't know the math behind this, but maybe even more than them). For that reason they're a major player now with any big free agent.