PDA

View Full Version : MKG: Another Bust For Jordan?

JasonJohnHorn
10-28-2012, 10:52 AM
I know it's just the pre-season, but usually the young kids get a lot of plays run for them. MKG is getting just 20 minutes a game and is shooting less than 32% from the floor! and averaging less than 6 points per game (though he is rebounding well).

I'm rooting for this guy to do well, he seems like a really good kid, but his pre-season has been awful.

Is this another bust from Jordan, to be lumped in woth Kwambe Brown and Adam Morrison? Or is he just getting his feet wet.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
No. Too early of a thread as well.

RLundi
10-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Way too premature, but even in college I never liked MKG and I can see him being a Darius Miles-like player and not much else.

Gators123
10-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Too early, but he didn't look good in Preseason.

Swashcuff
10-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Way too premature, but even in college I never liked MKG and I can see him being a Darius Miles-like player and not much else.

This.

RipCity32
10-28-2012, 11:18 AM
I dont think hes ever going to put up alot of points but I think his defense will have a chance to become elite.Jordan should of traded the #2 pick for more assets because that team needs alot of help.

b@llhog24
10-28-2012, 03:47 PM
He would have been great on a team like the Cavs but the Bobcats reached when they drafted him.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-28-2012, 03:49 PM
He would have been great on a team like the Cavs but the Bobcats reached when they drafted him.

He was the projected 2nd overall pick...

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-28-2012, 03:49 PM
The Lakers were after MKG as well. Just saying.

b@llhog24
10-28-2012, 03:50 PM

Based on the makeup for their team, they reached.

HouRealCoach
10-28-2012, 03:52 PM
I hate that they decided to draft him and force him into that situation because he is no franchise player and I think he will be a Andre Iguodala or a Luol Deng at best but Charlotte doesn't have any great scorers that he can feed off of

If he does become a bust, which I think he won't, it's because the situation he's placed in because it's the worst possible scenario for him. If he went to a team like Washington or Kings maybe then he would have been much better.

Bobcats will be horrible again this year and hopefully they snatch a damn good scorer next year

theheatles
10-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Wayyy too early to tell

HouRealCoach
10-28-2012, 03:53 PM

I agree... He could have fed of Kyrie Irving and they could have became lethal

Raps18-19 Champ
10-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Based on the makeup for their team, they reached.

Based on the BPA from college, he was right where he should've been.

yaswaggin
10-28-2012, 04:00 PM

I agree... He could have fed of Kyrie Irving and they could have became lethal

They were teammates in high school and AAU

spreadeagle
10-28-2012, 04:02 PM
I heard they are trying to fix a "hitch" in his shot....not a great sign lol

kobebabe
10-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Really? This early? Dude, chill. Give the Kid time to define what kinda player he is going to be

Gritz
10-28-2012, 04:09 PM
He's gonna be a bust only because Jordan drafted him

b@llhog24
10-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Based on the BPA from college, he was right where he should've been.

Except the talent differential between MKG, Beal and Trob (more so Beal than Trob) is negligible at best.

Rome
10-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Way too early...

ShockerArt
10-28-2012, 04:17 PM
I don't think he'll be a star. But, he works too hard to be a bust. He'll be a good player.

king4day
10-28-2012, 04:21 PM
It's funny how he had a killer summer league when he was healthy. People raved about him. Now he has a bad preseason and it's total reversal.

Who should Charlotte have taken? Beal? Robinson? Outside of Davis, there were no sure things.
If they dealt their pick, what do they get back? the 3rd and a late first or the 4th and a late first? How would that be any more helpful? It's all a risk and you are praying you made the right decision. No matter how MKG pans out, the Cats made a safe choice and if he becomes a bust, there're no regrets.

MKG has a chance to be a really good defender. I don't recall anyone thinking he'd come into this league and be an elite scorer.

Phenomenonsense
10-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Everyone in this thread is thinking "this season" only, while the Bobcats have to be in "6 seasons from now" mode. They will still be bad, but they got a 1st to take on a contract that doesn't really hurt them; it simply delays their cap space (which is good for them with the new cap floor). They picked up a player that has All-star potential, with unbelievable intangibles, who really isn't expected, nor even wanted really, to do well this year. In a few years, however, he will be great given the proper environment and nurturing.

The next two drafts should have some 2003 level talent to put around him, assuming they hit #1 overall in the draft in one of the years. They restarted their rebuilding process and look to be far removed from the playoffs for now.

topdog
10-28-2012, 04:24 PM

According to who? Some mocks had T-Rob, others had Beal, others had Drummond, it all really flipped with the intel mocks were getting because they rated 2-6 (excluding Waiters) as pretty much interchangeable.

The issue with MKG is that he's a complimentary player on a team full of bench players. When you have a historically bad team, I feell like you should be drafting someone with the potential to be a superstar - MKG does not have that.

At the very least, they could have traded with the Cavs and picked up some late 1st/early 2nd rounders. Cavs take Beal, Wiz take T-Rob, Bobcats take MKG (Barnes and Drummond are still better choices imo).

yaswaggin
10-28-2012, 04:24 PM
It's funny how he had a killer summer league when he was healthy. People raved about him. Now he has a bad preseason and it's total reversal.

Who should Charlotte have taken? Beal? Robinson? Outside of Davis, there were no sure things.
If they dealt their pick, what do they get back? the 3rd and a late first or the 4th and a late first? How would that be any more helpful? It's all a risk.

MKG has a chance to be a really good defender. I don't recall anyone thinking he'd come into this league and be an elite scorer.

Great post. MKG isn't a scorer, he's an Iggy type all around player that will be a good 2nd/extremely good 3rd option

jam
10-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Dumbest thread of the year.

"Kwambe" Brown, lol.

I know it's just the pre-season, but usually the young kids get a lot of plays run for them. MKG is getting just 20 minutes a game and is shooting less than 32% from the floor! and averaging less than 6 points per game (though he is rebounding well).

I'm rooting for this guy to do well, he seems like a really good kid, but his pre-season has been awful.

Is this another bust from Jordan, to be lumped in woth Kwambe Brown and Adam Morrison? Or is he just getting his feet wet.

JEDean89
10-28-2012, 05:14 PM
i personally thought they should have taken Drummond or Beal but MKG is going to be a star. MKG is a team player, think Landry Fields to the Max. He isn't a natural scorer in that he can score 1 on 1 but he can score off a team. When the Bobcats get a nice big (Noel, Zeller) they will be much better off. They then just really need time to Gel, and a FA or 2 to put around these guys. Once that happens, then MKG will be a star, not an MJ star, a Scottie Pippen star.

b@llhog24
10-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Dumbest thread of the year.

"Kwambe" Brown, lol.

Let me introduce you to Cfreys world:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=707400

bigsams50
10-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Jordan isn't the Gm anymore. Its Rich Cho.

As for MKG, its way too early to call him a bust. The kid just turned 19, and if i recall correctly, he is the youngest player in the league. People need to relax sometimes with their judgements. No rookie has even played a regular season game yet

NYKnicks4511
10-28-2012, 06:02 PM

I vehemently disagree. First off, in terms of work ethic Darius Miles was awful. He had all the talent, couldn't put it together consistently - whereas MKG has the inner drive and the right attitude to succeed. I don't think MKG will become a scoring champ or anything, but he can be a solid 1b option given the right situation. His basketball IQ is also extremely high, and he doesn't force shots when they aren't there. I see him as a 20-5apg-7rpg guy in the future. He will be one of the best players out of this class, mark it down.

RLundi
10-28-2012, 06:28 PM
I vehemently disagree. First off, in terms of work ethic Darius Miles was awful. He had all the talent, couldn't put it together consistently - whereas MKG has the inner drive and the right attitude to succeed. I don't think MKG will become a scoring champ or anything, but he can be a solid 1b option given the right situation. His basketball IQ is also extremely high, and he doesn't force shots when they aren't there. I see him as a 20-5apg-7rpg guy in the future. He will be one of the best players out of this class, mark it down.

Wow, 20 points a game? I highly doubt it. You know who also has a great work ethic? Shane Battier. Or Tony Allen. But neither of them are averaging 20 points a game anytime soon. MKG's offensive game is limited and he's not a good shooter. That's not to say those things can't improve but again, unless he makes leaps and bounds, I see him as a solid defensive stopper with some scoring punch. Think Ruben Patterson/Gerald Wallace-type but not much more.

smith&wesson
10-28-2012, 06:37 PM

i really cant see him being worst then brown or morrison.

HotMayo
10-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Too early, but he didn't look good in Preseason.

not too early. He just is not that good to be #2 pick. Remember when I did not list him in my top 5 on the pistons forum and you guys tried bashing me. hahaha funny stuuf.

CavsYanksDuke
10-28-2012, 07:01 PM
I would bet ten out of ten times that Jordan doesn't know what he's talking about off the court. On the court, he's the man. No argument. However, he may be the worst evaluator of talent since Isiah Thomas. I won't even list the team he could have now because it's been said a million times. The Bobcats could be damn good if not for him.

VillaMaravilla
10-28-2012, 07:10 PM
The kid is gonna be good no way no how is he gonna b e a bust

jimm120
10-28-2012, 07:13 PM

Bismack was a good pick.

btw, yeah, the last 3 picks were supposed to reform the team and build a good core of 3 to build a winner

Gram
10-28-2012, 07:16 PM

I can't wait to see how great Dion Waiters will be, because Cleveland sure didn't reach for him. :up:

CavsYanksDuke
10-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Think about some of the great players of all-time taken #2 in the draft, then rethink about what you're saying. Nobody is saying he is going to get fired tomorrow or something, but he's not quite at the level of some of the other #2 picks.

1. Bill Russel
2. Jerry West
3.Bob Pettit
4. Isiah Thomas
5. Jason Kidd

Do you really think he'll beast as much as those guys did? Because I don't. That's a very high bar to set for his particular draft number. However, he still has to be compared to the other people taken at his spot. If he were taken in the second round and was an average starter, I would call him a beast because of low expectations. But this kid came off a national championship squad that might have made him look better than he really is.

I wish the best of luck to him, but he has a lot of pressure on him because of Jordan's terrible previous picks.

THE MTL
10-28-2012, 07:31 PM
I think Jordan and bobcats are due for a prime prospect. They really havent drafted well outside of Okafar and Felton. I hope MKG becomes good.

fadedmario
10-28-2012, 07:54 PM
His jump shot looks like Ben Wallace...lol

fadedmario
10-28-2012, 07:54 PM
I can't wait to see how great Dion Waiters will be, because Cleveland sure didn't reach for him. :up:

Waiters is pathetic.

Shouldn't even have been a lottery pick.

b@llhog24
10-28-2012, 08:18 PM

He sucks. I actually like MKG and he does have a tremendous upside in the intangible department. I just think he went to the wrong team. I'm indifferent to Waiters however, he has talent but I doubt he ever realizes it. And since the Cavs choose to pick him to surround Kyrie instead of say (Lamb, Ross, Barnes). I grow to loathe him more and more as the days go by.

thekmp211
10-28-2012, 10:52 PM
nope

Raps18-19 Champ
10-28-2012, 11:02 PM
According to who? Some mocks had T-Rob, others had Beal, others had Drummond, it all really flipped with the intel mocks were getting because they rated 2-6 (excluding Waiters) as pretty much interchangeable.

The issue with MKG is that he's a complimentary player on a team full of bench players. When you have a historically bad team, I feell like you should be drafting someone with the potential to be a superstar - MKG does not have that.

At the very least, they could have traded with the Cavs and picked up some late 1st/early 2nd rounders. Cavs take Beal, Wiz take T-Rob, Bobcats take MKG (Barnes and Drummond are still better choices imo).

According to many. MKG was projected by most to go in the top 3. Him saying the 2nd pick is a reach isn't the smartest thing to say.

Showtime Steve
10-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Mkg will be great, but he needs a pg or a scorer. His offensive game isn't there yet.

ewing
10-28-2012, 11:06 PM
You should not based a players career potential on preseason fg%

koreancabbage
10-28-2012, 11:07 PM
from what I've seen, he's looked horrible- won't really know till 3rd year. he may just end up being a Trevor Ariza type player- better defensively than offensively.

not everyone in the top 10 will be a star as we all know, but if there were gonna be busts in the this draft from the top 10 only, maybe MKG, Waiters - just from their draft positions alone. def higher expectations. if you're a top 5 pick, theoretically speaking, you should be a franchise changing player.

Hawkeye15
10-28-2012, 11:10 PM
did Jordan even pick him?

xILLN355
10-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Think about some of the great players of all-time taken #2 in the draft, then rethink about what you're saying. Nobody is saying he is going to get fired tomorrow or something, but he's not quite at the level of some of the other #2 picks.

1. Bill Russel
2. Jerry West
3.Bob Pettit
4. Isiah Thomas
5. Jason Kidd

Do you really think he'll beast as much as those guys did? Because I don't. That's a very high bar to set for his particular draft number. However, he still has to be compared to the other people taken at his spot. If he were taken in the second round and was an average starter, I would call him a beast because of low expectations. But this kid came off a national championship squad that might have made him look better than he really is.

I wish the best of luck to him, but he has a lot of pressure on him because of Jordan's terrible previous picks.

and then compare him with other 2nd overall picks

danny ferry
darko
thabeet
stromile swift
marvin wiliams
keith van horn
okafor

shall i keep going on?

GiantsSwaGG
10-29-2012, 12:08 AM
He's going to be a bust BOOK IT

SugeKnight
10-29-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm rooting for him to succeed, and I think he will

203 Uconn LaL
10-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Never was a fan. I thought they should have traded down to get Barnes and some other asset

b@llhog24
10-29-2012, 12:39 AM
According to many. MKG was projected by most to go in the top 3. Him saying the 2nd pick is a reach isn't the smartest thing to say.

Semantics. You don't think another player like Beal, Barnes or TRob would thrive better than he will on the Bobcats? I'm not using hindsight btw, I never felt as though the Bobcats should have taken him and apparently those sentiments are echoed on this board. He's a great finisher, decent ball handler, has good court vision, and he has the tools to be a defensive juggernaut. But I doubt about 2-3 of those skill-sets are realized on the Bobcats.

Aust
10-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Too early, has yet to play a regular season game

Bravo95
10-29-2012, 12:46 AM
He will definitely not be a bust, like others have said he's like Iguodala. But I thought they should have traded the pick, because it just seemed like a bad fit for a team so desperate for offense.

b@llhog24
10-29-2012, 12:48 AM
He will definitely not be a bust, like others have said he's like Iguodala. But I thought they should have traded the pick, because it just seemed like a bad fit for a team so desperate for offense.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. :win:

Bravo95
10-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Semantics. You don't think another player like Beal, Barnes or TRob would thrive better than he will on the Bobcats? I'm not using hindsight btw, I never felt as though the Bobcats should have taken him and apparently those sentiments are echoed on this board. He's a great finisher, decent ball handler, has good court vision, and he has the tools to be a defensive juggernaut. But I doubt about 2-3 of those skill-sets are realized on the Bobcats.
Yeah, I understood not taking Beal because they already invested in Kemba. But passing on Robinson and Barnes? Especially Barnes since he has local ties.

CavsYanksDuke
10-29-2012, 01:38 AM
I still crack up at how the UNC GOAT snubbed Barnes like a piece of trash and it's probably what Roy Williams said about him.

"Harrison Barnes fell only a few places, ending up with Golden State at No. 7. But that might have been a result of his North Carolina coach, Roy Williams, telling a few NBA people that Barnes would have achieved more if not for his inconsistent effort."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/deron-williams-follow-money-back-nets-new-brooklyn-franchise-offer-26m-article-1.1105483#ixzz2AfCZQ6zq

Come to UNC where the coaches don't just throw you under the bus, they drive the dang thing.

chitownredbulls
10-29-2012, 01:53 AM
Shoulda went after t-rob IMO

SMH!
10-29-2012, 01:56 AM
:facepalm: stop making threads

astrosmaniac
10-29-2012, 01:58 AM

1. Bill Russel
2. Jerry West
3.Bob Pettit
4. Isiah Thomas
5. Jason Kidd

but do you really think anyone else in this draft class is gonna be a russell/west/pettit/thomas/kidd caliber player? cause i dont. and if you dont then it isn't fair to say "well, he isnt one of the all time greats, so hes a failure"

Sactown
10-29-2012, 04:19 AM
I don't think anyone expected MKG to be able to support the offense of that team, although it seems they have some nice defensive complimentary parts in place, you would just how you could get a franchise player with the 2nd pick..

Although I do think MKG was the safe choice at the 2nd Pick I also think Barnes has more star potential, but has a higher chance of busting, ultimately I think they knew what they were getting with MKG.

OaklandsFinest
10-29-2012, 04:35 AM
LOL we already knew he couldn't shoot!! He brings a lot more to the table than that, and I think he might end up being one of the best players in this draft. His work ethic is KG esque and if anyone in this draft will put in the work neccesary it's MKG.. Watch him this year, not just the stats he will make a HUGE impact..

bigsams50
10-29-2012, 06:41 AM
did Jordan even pick him?

He sure didnt. It was Rich Cho. But fans just love to hate on MJ, so every pick will be counted as his.

torocan
10-29-2012, 09:42 AM
It's pre-season... :facepalm:

h2r09
10-29-2012, 10:21 AM
He isnt a leading scorer type of star. He is going to be an Iguodala, Gerald Wallace, Shawn Marion type of player.

More defense then offensive leader. Which is fine. You dont HAVE to be the best offensive player to make huge impacts on the game.

Giants27
10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
And when he wins ROTY dont be surprised. Kid can play