PDA

View Full Version : Could the Thunder have gotten more for Harden?

JasonJohnHorn
10-28-2012, 10:00 AM
It is hard to know just how things went down. I mean, the Thunder could have been shopping Harden all summer. But that said, it seemed more than a little rushed. Just hours after news had come out that Harden had turned down a huge contract offer, came the news that Harden had been traded. Were the Thunder in that much of a hurry to trade Harden? Or had they been working on a trade all summer? Who knows. What seems clear though is that while I believe (and I know many will disagree with me) the Thunder made out pretty well in this trade, there are likely teams that would have offered more. Do you think the Thunder could have gotten more on a deal for Harden? Where would you have liked to see him moved, and what peices would you have liked to see brought back to OKC.

Me personally, I'm very high on Klay Thompson, and as I mentioned in a pervious thread, I think move Harden for Thompson and some picks would have been great for OKC. Thompson has proved he can shoot at a high percentage, and that is ideally what the Thunder need out of their shooting guard. Lamb may turn out to be just as good or better than Thompson, but the fact that he hasn't played an NBA game yet (outside of pre-season) would make me nervous as a GM. but Kevin Martin is a quality SG and former all-star, and considering that Lamb did shoot a high percentage in college suggests he should be able to translate that to the NBA. Throw in a couple of picks from a lottery team... and that's a pretty good trade, especially considering how well OKC has been drafting the last few years.

What would you like to have seen done? And please... I am a Raptors fan myself, but if I hear one Raptros fan say they actually believe that OKC would have taken a deal featuring a SG who shoots 20% from behind the arc and 42% frm the field (yes, I am talking about deRozen), I'm just going to do a face palm.

So let's hear what kind of deals you all would have went for with Harden.

nycericanguy
10-28-2012, 10:06 AM
OKC got more for Harden then ORL got for Howard.

Lamb = lottery pick

TOR pick = guaranteed lottery pick

DAL pick = should be just outside the lottery

Martin = could easily net them another 1st rounder if need be.

I don't know if another team would give up more than that.

And why would GS be in such a hurry to trade Klay who makes next to nothing for the next 2-3 years in exchange for paying Harden $15m per? Not to mention you want them to throw in picks as well?

JasonJohnHorn
10-28-2012, 10:24 AM
And why would GS be in such a hurry to trade Klay who makes next to nothing for the next 2-3 years in exchange for paying Harden $15m per? Not to mention you want them to throw in picks as well?

I don't know that they would, but I think they might. It would be an interesting move at least. With Curry and Bogut and Harden, that would be a great core for that team, and a lot of GMs seem to be high on Harden.

StarvingKnick22
10-28-2012, 10:26 AM
I thought the deal was pretty leveled out. Both teams got exactly what they wanted.

nycericanguy
10-28-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't know that they would, but I think they might. It would be an interesting move at least. With Curry and Bogut and Harden, that would be a great core for that team, and a lot of GMs seem to be high on Harden.

I don't do that deal if I'm GS, it would be making a deal just for the sake of making a deal.

They have a good thing in Klay, he's young, very cheap, a big 6'7 2 guard, and under control for the next 4 years.

You trade him and then you have to pay Harden $15m and its not even a guarantee that he stays. Not to mention they have to pay Curry so if they pay Harden $15m then they are pretty much capped out with just Lee, Harden & Curry.

Klay @ $2m-3m > Harden at $15m.

rickshaw
10-28-2012, 10:34 AM
They trade one year of Harden for a lottery pick who has looked good, a stop-gap in Martin who can be used as offense off the bench, or be flipped for another pick/solid role player, Toronto's very likely lottery pick, and Dallas' possibly lottery pick. I'd much rather have what they got than Harden.

BALLER R
10-28-2012, 10:38 AM

Lamb = lottery pick

TOR pick = guaranteed lottery pick

DAL pick = should be just outside the lottery

Martin = could easily net them another 1st rounder if need be.

Not to mention they are pretty good with draft picks. So never know they might get another star player somewhere down the road.

nycericanguy
10-28-2012, 11:20 AM
They trade one year of Harden for a lottery pick who has looked good, a stop-gap in Martin who can be used as offense off the bench, or be flipped for another pick/solid role player, Toronto's very likely lottery pick, and Dallas' possibly lottery pick. I'd much rather have what they got than Harden.

from what I undestand the TOR pick is guaranteed lottery pick, meaning OKC doesn't get it until its in the lottery. via the lowry trade.

Baller1
10-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Knowing how good Presti is at drafting, it's actually an amazing trade for OKC in the grand scheme if things. The Thunder somehow managed to leave this years draft with PJ3 and Lamb, and now have a couple lottery picks to work with again in the next couple years...

The more I accept the fact that Harden was traded, the more I realize how well OKC made out.

MagicBucsSox
10-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Thunder should've addressed a post presence or a better center. Should've went after a al Jefferson millsap Noah David lee gortat etc. they're the damn team with same probs. no 3pt shooting nor perimeter D outside thabo.

sjoerdje
10-28-2012, 11:28 AM
This trade was like trading Pippen away after 1990 playoff failure.

North Yorker
10-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Fair trade, but OKC didnt fill its biggest need, which is a scoring bigman.

I dont see them winning a title until they get one, not in today's NBA

Eagles4Lyfe
10-28-2012, 11:31 AM
No way this was a realllly sexy package I mean they have so much high potential guys on the freaken bench

Baller1
10-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Thunder should've addressed a post presence or a better center. Should've went after a al Jefferson millsap Noah David lee gortat etc. they're the damn team with same probs. no 3pt shooting nor perimeter D outside thabo.

Durant, Martin, Thabo, Maynor for three point shooting. Durant, Westbrook, and Thabo are both elite/borderline elite perimeter defenders.

It remains to be seen what Lamb and PJ3 can add to the team.

mzgrizz
10-28-2012, 11:37 AM
I am shocked that they didn't keep Harden. I know they would have been over the cap, or I imagine so, but Harden saved their ***** too many times when Westbrook couldn't control his game . Wow.......

D Roses Bulls
10-28-2012, 11:41 AM
No way this was a realllly sexy package I mean they have so much high potential guys on the freaken bench

But what does high potential mean? I mean it doesn't guarantee wins or that they will turn out to be anything and draft picks really mean **** to me cause those are hits or misses. Not saying this is a horrible trade, but to me in away it's like the Thunder are basically saying, "we cant beat the Heat or Lakers now lets just wait until those teams are done". Now Kevin Martin might surprise me and be excellent coming off the bench, but I don't know......

IndyRealist
10-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Knowing how good Presti is at drafting, it's actually an amazing trade for OKC in the grand scheme if things. The Thunder somehow managed to leave this years draft with PJ3 and Lamb, and now have a couple lottery picks to work with again in the next couple years...

The more I accept the fact that Harden was traded, the more I realize how well OKC made out.

Is he good at drafting though? He had the #2 (Durant), #3 (Harden), and #4 (Westbrook). He didn't whiff on them, but it's not like they were diamonds in the rough, either. (Westbrook could have been Kevin Love, fyi.) Ibaka was a decent pick up at #24, but on another team he would have been cut because he can't score. And that pick could also have been used on Nic Batum or George Hill.

ackar
10-28-2012, 11:59 AM
I believe Houston overpaid for Harden. Could the trade even out if Harden becomes all world sure it could. But right now on paper the Rockets overpaid and by a lot. Houston did what other small franchises need to do trade for an almost establish star and throw the check book at him then build around him.

2-ONE-5
10-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Was listening to Mark Stein this morning he said OKC had been prepping to make this move for a little while assuming they couldnt get a deal done. He said most thought OKC would have waited a little closer to Wednesdays deadline tho. OKC expected him to be willing to take less then the max (around a mil or so) just like Westbrook an KD did (Miamis big 3 too). I like the deal a lot. I am not a big Lamb fan but paid him with PJ3 and there are 2 potential new building blocks then add in Martin who shouldnt have much trouble replacing Hardens scoring off the bench.

Baller1
10-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Is he good at drafting though? He had the #2 (Durant), #3 (Harden), and #4 (Westbrook). He didn't whiff on them, but it's not like they were diamonds in the rough, either. (Westbrook could have been Kevin Love, fyi.) Ibaka was a decent pick up at #24, but on another team he would have been cut because he can't score. And that pick could also have been used on Nic Batum or George Hill.

Harden and Westbrook were both considered stretches, especially Westbrook. Ibaka, the best shot blocker of this generation, would not be cut by any team in the league.

Then there's PJ3 who he got at #28.

His only bad picks were Mullens and Aldrich, and that's just the luck of the draw you take with drafting big men.

Chavacano
10-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Anything more and it would've been more than a rape.

Losoway
10-28-2012, 01:42 PM
The thunders should have went after a low post threat and a off the bench scorer . Someone like al jefferson would have beeen nasty on okc

kevin martin is washed up

MagicBucsSox
10-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Durant, Martin, Thabo, Maynor for three point shooting. Durant, Westbrook, and Thabo are both elite/borderline elite perimeter defenders.

It remains to be seen what Lamb and PJ3 can add to the team.

Thanks for restating what I've already said. Thabo is a good defender but I definately OUTSIDE OF HIM.

Those guys outside Durant aren't 3pt shooters, but game shooters

BHF
10-28-2012, 01:46 PM
okc got more for harden then orl got for howard.

Lamb = lottery pick

tor pick = guaranteed lottery pick

dal pick = should be just outside the lottery

martin = could easily net them another 1st rounder if need be.

And why would gs be in such a hurry to trade klay who makes next to nothing for the next 2-3 years in exchange for paying harden $15m per? Not to mention you want them to throw in picks as well?

ohh rly?

THE MTL
10-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Thunder did GREAT. If Martin can stay healthy, you have a bonafide shooter to murder defenses who collaspe on Durant/Westbrook. K Martin has proven himself to be a 20+ppg scorer too. So they got a good replacement.

And then they got an immense amount of draft picks/young prospects. OKC might find their James Harden 2.0 with those picks.

I think Houston did decent, because they had to get somebody. I just dont think James Harden is a franchise player

xnick5757
10-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Lamb might be a better fit than harden was for the thunder. He can shoot like harden but he also plays good defense, which is a huge benefit when the other wings are Durant and westy.

nycericanguy
10-28-2012, 02:10 PM
ohh rly?

yep... the pick is from the Lowry trade, its protected inside the lottery, meaning TOR keeps the pick if its not a lottery pick.

HOU made the trade that way because they wanted to make sure they got a lotto pick from TOR, so eventually OKC gets a guaranteed lotto pick from TOR.

blastmasta26
10-28-2012, 02:18 PM
It was an interesting approach with the trade. They actually added more youth and potential to the team, while bringing in Kevin Martin to be an instant scoring replacement for Harden. However, they will miss Harden's playmaking abilities and will need Westbrook and/or Durant to step up in that department to compensate.

Bigbadmoffo
10-28-2012, 02:25 PM
yep... the pick is from the Lowry trade, its protected inside the lottery, meaning TOR keeps the pick if its not a lottery pick.

HOU made the trade that way because they wanted to make sure they got a lotto pick from TOR, so eventually OKC gets a guaranteed lotto pick from TOR.

TOR has the pick protected as well. I think top 5 this year, top 3 next and then 1st over all for the rest of the years.

nycericanguy
10-28-2012, 02:26 PM
TOR has the pick protected as well. I think top 5 this year, top 3 next and then 1st over all for the rest of the years.

yea i believe it has to fall into the 4-14 range for OKC to get it, but they'll get it eventually, chances are this year.

abe_froman
10-28-2012, 02:28 PM
not really,harden wasnt locked up long term and though is a good shot to reup with hou,there's no guarantee that he will and with such uncertainty,your not going to get anything super great. and while loved on here and a really good player,harden isnt a superstar the likes of melo,dwight yet.i'm actually surprised okc got what they did

Hawkeye15
10-28-2012, 02:31 PM
from what I undestand the TOR pick is guaranteed lottery pick, meaning OKC doesn't get it until its in the lottery. via the lowry trade.

outside Toronto fans, does anyone think they are making the playoffs this season? They may be a sleeper, but they will still probably be in the higher part of the lottery, around 9-10.

ChiSox219
10-28-2012, 02:32 PM
not really,harden wasnt locked up long term and though is a good shot to reup with hou,there's no guarantee that he will and with such uncertainty,your not going to get anything super great. and while loved on here and a really good player,harden isnt a superstar the likes of melo,dwight yet.i'm actually surprised okc got what they did

He's a RFA so he's guaranteed to stay if HOU wants him which they obviously do.

abe_froman
10-28-2012, 02:33 PM
He's a RFA so he's guaranteed to stay if HOU wants him which they obviously do.
he could also wait a year and hit open market as ufa,rfa isnt an auto reup to long term contract

nycericanguy
10-28-2012, 02:35 PM
outside Toronto fans, does anyone think they are making the playoffs this season? They may be a sleeper, but they will still probably be in the higher part of the lottery, around 9-10.

I have them right around 9-11th, so OKC should see that pick this year

ChiSox219
10-28-2012, 02:42 PM
he could also wait a year and hit open market as ufa,rfa isnt an auto reup to long term contract

No one has ever turned down a max offer for a QO it makes no sense to do so. The handful of players that have gone that route wanted more money and their teams were unwilling to pay.

Swashcuff
10-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks for restating what I've already said. Thabo is a good defender but I definately OUTSIDE OF HIM.

:confused:

So you have 3 perimeter defenders who are among arguably the top 10 at their position and because Maynor (35.3% career 38.5% in his last full season), Kevin Martin (37% career but has never had the kind of support he has had in OKC so it won't be any surprise to see his %s go up) and Thabo (a MUCH improved 43.7% last season) aren't what you consider 3 point shooters but rather game shooters he restated your point? :confused:

theheatles
10-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Thunder could have lost him for nothing after the season

Baller1
10-28-2012, 04:32 PM

I didn't restate anything you said, what the ****? What are you even talking about?

Baller1
10-28-2012, 04:32 PM
:confused:

So you have 3 perimeter defenders who are among arguably the top 10 at their position and because Maynor (35.3% career 38.5% in his last full season), Kevin Martin (37% career but has never had the kind of support he has had in OKC so it won't be any surprise to see his %s go up) and Thabo (a MUCH improved 43.7% last season) aren't what you consider 3 point shooters but rather game shooters he restated your point? :confused:

Thank you.

Vinylman
10-28-2012, 04:40 PM

cmon man.... this is the nba ... that toronto pick is gonna end up being #1 overall

Sterns final gift :D

spreadeagle
10-28-2012, 04:48 PM

the pick is a lottery pick within 5 years, after that its whatever, it was a weird deal where toronto said you can have our lottery pick if we have one in the next 5 years, but they are protected top 2 or something

spreadeagle
10-28-2012, 04:48 PM
cmon man.... this is the nba ... that toronto pick is gonna end up being #1 overall

Sterns final gift :D

then we would keep it! its top 3 protected I think :D

Vinylman
10-28-2012, 04:52 PM
then we would keep it! its top 3 protected I think :D

that was my point ... not a gift for OKC... but a gift to the league by ****ing them over

it is top 3 protected this coming year... top 2 the following

mightybosstone
10-28-2012, 04:52 PM
As a Rockets fan, I personally thought Houston got off easy. Martin was complete trash last season and plays no defense whatsoever (trust me, I watched nearly every Rockets game last year). Lamb is a nice young player, but he's all potential this point and looked extremely raw in the preseason. And the two picks aren't nearly as sexy as they seem. The Mavs pick is, at best, in the early 20s, and the Toronto pick is likely going to be in the 8-12 range in a weak draft.

The fact that Houston got to keep Terrence Jones, Donatas Motiejunas and Patrick Patterson when OKC clearly needs frontcourt help is mind boggling to me. And the Rockets kept their first round pick this year.

topdog
10-28-2012, 04:59 PM
I think part of the timing is the package they got. OKC took advantage of Houston's desperation to get a "star" player. While neither is a 3rd pick, OKC made out of this year's deep draft with a top SG prospect and a top SF/PF prospect.

topdog
10-28-2012, 05:02 PM

I think they have a decent shot. New York is having some injury issues again, Atlanta downgraded for the future health of their championship aspirations, Orlando took themselves out and the Central Division is in the thick of re-build.

Toronto drastically improved their defense last year and now has a two-way center next to Bargs and a few good men at SG. I'll take them for the 8th seed assuming relative health.

Kashmir13579
10-28-2012, 05:04 PM
OKC won this trade hands down, imo. Jermey Lamb AND Kevin Martin??

JEDean89
10-28-2012, 05:05 PM
People need to understand something about what the CBA did to the value of lottery picks, especially high lotto picks. The Warriors trade never would have worked as mentioned earlier, no way GS pays Bogut a max, d-lee a near max, curry a near max and harden a max, that's just ridiculous. Lotto picks are probably the most valuable currency in the NBA right now. OKC can put guys like Perry Jones, Jeremy Lamb, and now 3 more 1st rounders next year around their core. If they draft a couple Centers (tall lanky mofo's who only play d and rebound) and a swingman, they will be great off. You will see a lot of picks being traded right now. Think about it, Demarcus Cousins for like 5 mil, or Dwight Howard for the Max. Thethunder got a package similar to what the Jazz got for D-Williams, only they got the return package to put around Durant, Westrbrook, Ibaka and Perkins.

spreadeagle
10-28-2012, 05:13 PM
I think they have a decent shot. New York is having some injury issues again, Atlanta downgraded for the future health of their championship aspirations, Orlando took themselves out and the Central Division is in the thick of re-build.

Toronto drastically improved their defense last year and now has a two-way center next to Bargs and a few good men at SG. I'll take them for the 8th seed assuming relative health.

it will be close, depends on how Bucks Pistons play....and depends how Chicago does without D Rose. if they stink it could open up a playoff spot

smith&wesson
10-28-2012, 05:15 PM

this.

JordansBulls
10-28-2012, 05:17 PM

:clap:

People act like Kevin Martin was some type of scrub. this guy has averaged 20 ppg the last 6 of 7 seasons. On the Thunder he just needs to be a Jason Terry type 6th man on the squad and he is paid far less.

Swashcuff
10-28-2012, 05:24 PM

People act like Kevin Martin was some type of scrub. this guy has averaged 20 ppg the last 6 of 7 seasons. On the Thunder he just needs to be a Jason Terry type 6th man on the squad and he is paid far less.

Yeah I think based on his no D, oft injured flopping rep Martin has really gotten underrated and disrespected on these forums. If he can some how return to health/form he's be a solid replacement in a bench capacity.

C-Style
10-28-2012, 05:24 PM
They should've got a interior offensive PF

mightybosstone
10-28-2012, 05:27 PM

Did you watch basically every game he played last season? Because I did. Without Adelman's system and with changes in officiating rules, he was a shell of himself offensively. I mean, he was flat out terrible to the point where I would have been fine if Houston had dealt him for a late first round pick and a six-pack of Bud Light.

Can he recover from that? Certainly. But I don't think officiating changes have done him any favors and I don't see him being a 20 ppg player in OKC whatsoever.

smith&wesson
10-28-2012, 05:34 PM

:facepalm: Worst place to be in the standings too. fak.

nycericanguy
10-28-2012, 05:49 PM

agreed, i was saying this in another thread so i'll paste it here.

People are talking about Martin like he's trash, I don't get it.

Even last year he averaged 17.1 ppg. He always gets to the FT alot and hits them at a nearly 90% clip, that combined with his stellar 3 point shooting will always make him an efficient scorer even with a lower FG%.

The guy averaged 23.4ppg on just 15 field goal attempts per game in 2011, how many NBA wingmen can do that?

He doesn't have the all around game that Harden does, but he's still a very good player, and playing alongside two guys that draw as much attention as Westbrook & Durant can only help him.

Then you add Lamb who looks like a very promising rookie.

Then you add in a top 10 or so pick from TOR.

And then a 1st from DAL that should be just outside the lottery.

Thats quite a haul for OKC.

nycericanguy
10-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Did you watch basically every game he played last season? Because I did. Without Adelman's system and with changes in officiating rules, he was a shell of himself offensively. I mean, he was flat out terrible to the point where I would have been fine if Houston had dealt him for a late first round pick and a six-pack of Bud Light.

Can he recover from that? Certainly. But I don't think officiating changes have done him any favors and I don't see him being a 20 ppg player in OKC whatsoever.

I watched almost every HOU preseason game and Martin was often the best player on the court.

Maybe he was bad last year, that i can't comment on first hand, the stats suggest it was not one of his better years, but I certainly didn't see a horrible player in preseason.

I actually posted in the NYK forum a few days ago that "watching Martin play in preseason, man I wish NY could get him"

mightybosstone
10-28-2012, 05:56 PM
I watched almost every HOU preseason game and Martin was often the best player on the court.

Maybe he was bad last year, that i can't comment on first hand, the stats suggest it was not one of his better years, but I certainly didn't see a horrible player in preseason.

I actually posted in the NYK forum a few days ago that "watching Martin play in preseason, man I wish NY could get him"

Yeah, good point. Because we all know that preseason play is 100 percent indicative of a player's talents. Also, consider Martin's age, that he's injury prone, that his contract is up after this season, that the NBA rule changes have seriously hurt his ability to get to the line and the fact that he doesn't play any defense.

I'm not saying that Martin is a terrible player, and he might very well be a solid No. 3 option in OKC. What I'm saying is that Martin isn't anywhere close to the player or the potential of James Harden.

nycericanguy
10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Yeah, good point. Because we all know that preseason play is 100 percent indicative of a player's talents. Also, consider Martin's age, that he's injury prone, that his contract is up after this season, that the NBA rule changes have seriously hurt his ability to get to the line and the fact that he doesn't play any defense.

I'm not saying that Martin is a terrible player, and he might very well be a solid No. 3 option in OKC. What I'm saying is that Martin isn't anywhere close to the player or the potential of James Harden.

It sure sounds like it.

Preseason or not, he was impressive.

The injury aspect of it is definitely a concern though I give you that. But I think overall you're being wayyyy too harsh on him. You'd think you were talking about Landry Fields or something.

RIGHT NOW, Harden is better, but he's not on another planet better. And it was far from a 1-1 swap. He has a better all around game, but offensively you guys would be stoked if Harden could do what Martin did in 2011. Think about that.

jchase3
10-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Harden is overrated. Kevin Martin isn't great but he can score, obviously isn't as good as Harden though. The key to the trade is Lamb. If he develops into a solid Rudy Gay type player then long-term OKC wins this trade hands down. But for the short-term, Houston wins because they got an all-star.

tht_one_guy
10-28-2012, 06:49 PM
this just in Harden has been traded to the HEAT for 7 chairs and 3 chocolate shakes

mrblisterdundee
10-28-2012, 06:50 PM
If you think Tyreke Evans and/or Marcus Thornton is/are more, then yes; the Thunder probably could have gotten more. The key is that Evans and Thornton are good, but not good enough for a max contract.
Here are some realistic offerings I could see for James Harden:
1. Sacramento: Marcus Thornton and/or Tyreke Evans.
2. Washington: Bradley Beal and Shawn Crawford
3. Golden State: Klay Thompson and Karl Jenkins