PDA

View Full Version : What if they did away with all international signings? strictly draft

TRUTH-TELLER
10-28-2012, 04:40 AM
not sure if this was brought up before

MLB teams can no longer sign whoever they want internationally. Every eligible player when they turn 16,17, or 18 (pick an age) must be subject to the draft. No more of the guess my age latin players (no legit birth certificate can't enter the draft) or the 30 million dollar bid fees for asian ball players. Say the Pirates had a shot at drafting Felix or cano.

on the cuban players it would be done similar to the NHL went they drafted the rights to Soviet players in the 80's and had to wait for them to escape and seek asylum

it would be interesting, level the playing field a little more and would cut a lot of corruption out

whats everyones opinion?

AI
10-28-2012, 06:59 AM
I think we'll ultimately have an international draft.

Jeffy25
10-28-2012, 04:52 PM
We are heading that way, there will be an international draft relatively soon. But they have to get the age issues under control first.

But it's coming

odiz
10-28-2012, 05:21 PM
No more of the guess my age latin players (no legit birth certificate can't enter the draft)

I agree with everything except for this. Age issues for Latin American players will always be a problem. There is no way to stamp it out. You cant just ban players because record keeping in their country isnt up to scratch.

MetsFanatic19
10-28-2012, 08:38 PM
I think we'll ultimately have an international draft.

This is what it should be. Teams with crappy records do get the higher, and better, draft picks, but ultimately, it's the big market teams with the money who get the really promising international free agents.