PDA

View Full Version : Should players be required to earn a degree before going pro?

mrblisterdundee
10-27-2012, 02:51 PM
I always think we're sending the wrong message to society by having guys go straight from high school - or take a one-year detour into college - into the NBA. It makes it seem as if sports is more important than an education, which you'd have to be pretty short-sighted to believe.
Should players be required to earn a degree before going pro? And if so, what kind of degree?
A lot of people go for two-year technical degrees, and I think either that or an associate's degree would be a good benchmark. I know people like sports, but these athletes are role models, and they need to at least pretend their education is important.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Nope. And to be honest, athletes shouldn't have to be role models. If you're a parent and you're expecting your kid growing up to base his morals and life ethics off a guy putting a ball through a hoop or hitting a ball with a stick, then there's something really wrong with you.

xxplayerxx23
10-27-2012, 03:05 PM
No degree needed for me. I never liked that they made kids go to college for 1 year, they should of kept it where hs kids can declare if they felt they were ready.

SugeKnight
10-27-2012, 03:08 PM
College isn't for everyone. Why do we have to make athletes go through it, even for just 1 year?

jakedajewler
10-27-2012, 03:08 PM
No one should be forced to do a university degree, I have one but i know many people who don't have one and they make more money then me. This making guys to to univeristy is a scam by the NCAA

Guppyfighter
10-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Why should we force people to do what they don't want to?

Mr_Jones
10-27-2012, 03:15 PM
You can't force them to.. But I wish there was a way to have less dumbasses who can't properly speak, though.

Guppyfighter
10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
You can't force them to.. But I wish there was a way to have less dumbasses who can't properly speak, though.

Perfect dismount off your high horse.

idrinkpepsi
10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
No, although it would be good for them to get their degree in case their basketball career falls through.

raiderposting
10-27-2012, 03:18 PM
why would they need a degree? if a player comes in to the league young, makes millions, makes smart investments he's set for life. if he gambles it away and spends it on private jets and is broke when he retires its his fault. Role models should be people that are actually in the kids life.

Bravo95
10-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Absolutely not, especially since colleges don't pay them (well, some).

mrblisterdundee
10-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Nope. And to be honest, athletes shouldn't have to be role models. If you're a parent and you're expecting your kid growing up to base his morals and life ethics off a guy putting a ball through a hoop or hitting a ball with a stick, then there's something really wrong with you.

Professional athletes are role models by default, because they're celebrities. They're being broadcast across the world, all the time. And there are a lot of bad parents out there. I'm just broaching the possibility of professional athletes trying to set a good example.
And some sort of education beyond high school is important for almost everyone. It's certainly more important that one or two extra seasons professionally.
As it stands, we have a lot of professional athletes showing that it's okay to be dumb in America. And America doesn't need any extra help looking dumb.

cbs9889
10-27-2012, 03:32 PM
they don't get paid to be smart and i really don't think they should even have to go to college but they should have to take a money management class instead

TheLegend
10-27-2012, 03:34 PM
dumb thread.

Perhaps a degree should be required to get online and post in a forum because obviously some of you have a really ******'d up way of thinking.

RaiderLakersA's
10-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Yes, make it a professional standard of consideration. If you cannot complete at least two years of college work at a junior college or technical school you don't deserve to play pro ball. Or put another way, if you lack the discipline and long range strategic endgame planning to willingly sacrifice 1.5 to 2 years of your life in order to ensure that the next 10 - 30 years you'll be on easy street, then you're too (BLEEP)ing stupid to earn an NBA salary.

Guppyfighter
10-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Professional athletes are role models by default, because they're celebrities. They're being broadcast across the world, all the time. And there are a lot of bad parents out there. I'm just broaching the possibility of professional athletes trying to set a good example.
And some sort of education beyond high school is important for almost everyone. It's certainly more important that one or two extra seasons professionally.
As it stands, we have a lot of professional athletes showing that it's okay to be dumb in America. And America doesn't need any extra help looking dumb.

So ****ing what? People should not be forced to change their behavior because some snotty little kid might punch a fire extinguisher just like them.

Bruno
10-27-2012, 03:41 PM
no. BAs have two purposes, to create middle managers, or to serve as a bridge to graduate work. nothing wrong with being a middle manager, but NBA players just don't need that skill set. self education is most important. you can lead a horse to water...

mrblisterdundee
10-27-2012, 04:13 PM
no. BAs have two purposes, to create middle managers, or to serve as a bridge to graduate work. nothing wrong with being a middle manager, but NBA players just don't need that skill set. self education is most important. you can lead a horse to water...

That's why I gave the option of an associate's or career technical degree. Some sort of education after high school is important for almost all people. And no; bachelor's do not just serve as a bridge to graduate work or middle management; that's a very narrow and ill-informed view on your part.

KnickaBocka.44
10-27-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm a big proponent of players having to go to school before they go to the NBA simply because it makes the NBA, and NCAA, product better.

JasonJohnHorn
10-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Players would lose literally millions of dollars. Doesn't seem fair, especially since the colleges would be making money hand over fist if guys were forced to play all four years. I think they should let them come straight out of highschool.

I mean, take a guy like Oden. If he'd had to stay in school four years he wouldn't have even been drafted with all the injuries he had during that time span.

Hawkeye15
10-27-2012, 04:43 PM
no way. I do think they should let you either go straight from high school, or you have to stay a minimum of 2-3 years in college. The NCAA game is so watered down now compared to years ago, I can barely watch it.

ChiSox219
10-27-2012, 04:51 PM
no way. I do think they should let you either go straight from high school, or you have to stay a minimum of 2-3 years in college. The NCAA game is so watered down now compared to years ago, I can barely watch it.

I've always struggled to watch NCAA ball, i dont understand though, how the one year rule waters down the NCAA when they get top flight prospects that otherwise wouldve turned pro.

abe_froman
10-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Professional athletes are role models by default, because they're celebrities. They're being broadcast across the world, all the time.
this argument only holds up if you also think other celebs (actors,musicians, authors,ect.) should also be forced to get a degree before being able to do their craft.so do you? i'm guess you dont

they don't get paid to be smart and i really don't think they should even have to go to college but they should have to take a money management class instead
this(well except the last part.make it available to them ,but if they want to go broke than thats they're own business).

theheatles
10-27-2012, 05:09 PM
just the mere suggestion of this blinds me with rage, but I'm just going to go with a No.

DreamShaker
10-27-2012, 05:16 PM
No one should be forced to do a university degree, I have one but i know many people who don't have one and they make more money then me. This making guys to to univeristy is a scam by the NCAA

Same with me. Job market is tough. A good portion of these kids come from middle class to poor homes, and that money can go towards providing for their families. If a kid is qualified for a job to make millions of dollars in this market...they should be able to go for it. The reasons athletes go broke in these sad stories is because they stupidly blow it. If I was able to make 50 million in the next 5 years, that would last me forever.

CavsYanksDuke
10-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I've always thought they should handle it like baseball but with some changes. You can go straight out of HS or you go to 3 years of college with mandatory financial management courses. I'm so sick of hearing about players going broke and UK capitalizing on a broken system. Let the kid go straight to work or prepare them for life at college. Immaturity is at an all time high in the NBA and you have the majority of one and done athletes to blame for it.

Don't tell me that a semester of underwater basket weaving fully prepares a man who will be worth millions of dollars.

lpdunks8
10-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Should Paul Allen, Bill Gates, Michael Dell, etc. be required to have a college degree? :)

Paul Allen owns the Blazers (and the NFL's Seahawks). I'm pretty sure he'd vote against the idea; unless he's a hypocrite.

To those speaking on athletes' command of the English language; I know plenty of BAs and MBAs who don't know how to use your/you're and there/their/they're.

CavsYanksDuke
10-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Right, but the NBA is consistently last in IQ testing across all sports. That's because most other athletes attend full schooling. There is scientific evidence to support the need for further education of basketball players.

THE MTL
10-27-2012, 06:19 PM
I always think we're sending the wrong message to society by having guys go straight from high school - or take a one-year detour into college - into the NBA. It makes it seem as if sports is more important than an education, which you'd have to be pretty short-sighted to believe.
Should players be required to earn a degree before going pro? And if so, what kind of degree?
A lot of people go for two-year technical degrees, and I think either that or an associate's degree would be a good benchmark. I know people like sports, but these athletes are role models, and they need to at least pretend their education is important.

You're falling for the social stigma that ppl have to go to college to be successful, which is totally UNTRUE. Why should they have to get a degree that is pointless.

And btw, to an athlete.....sports is more important than an education and nothing is wrong with that. Athletes work just as hard as book majors, its just that their hardwork comes from conditioning, training, practicing etc.

Athletes are role models and they should show that thru HARDWORK and DEDICATION you can succeed at anything you want. Its ppl like you who undermine the immense amount of wrk that an athlete does. To say a piece a paper (just for face), means anything is ignorance.

THE MTL
10-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Right, but the NBA is consistently last in IQ testing across all sports. That's because most other athletes attend full schooling. There is scientific evidence to support the need for further education of basketball players.

I would like you to back up this statement with facts. Just dont say it if u have no evidence.

Hawkeye15
10-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I've always struggled to watch NCAA ball, i dont understand though, how the one year rule waters down the NCAA when they get top flight prospects that otherwise wouldve turned pro.

I am 37. I watched the top flight prospects play 3-4 years of college throughout the 80's, and early 90's. The quality of play in the NCAA's was simply FAR stronger when I was younger, versus the late 90's, and especially the last decade.

Supreme LA
10-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Yes, make it a professional standard of consideration. If you cannot complete at least two years of college work at a junior college or technical school you don't deserve to play pro ball. Or put another way, if you lack the discipline and long range strategic endgame planning to willingly sacrifice 1.5 to 2 years of your life in order to ensure that the next 10 - 30 years you'll be on easy street, then you're too (BLEEP)ing stupid to earn an NBA salary.

:facepalm:

ChiSox219
10-27-2012, 06:36 PM
I am 37. I watched the top flight prospects play 3-4 years of college throughout the 80's, and early 90's. The quality of play in the NCAA's was simply FAR stronger when I was younger, versus the late 90's, and especially the last decade.

Imagine last year, with the following, just an example:

UCLA: Love, Holiday, Westbrook
Kentucky: Wall, Cousins, Davis

should I go on?

Did not realize you talking that far back.

Spurred1
10-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Some of these athletes come from schools where the quality of education is incredibly low. They may get into college based on their sport, but when it comes to actually earning a degree, they may not have the basic education to finish the program and they'll be so busy with their athletics, they don't have time for anything else.
They'd lose millions if they stayed in college also-they need to seize the moment and start when they are young and healthy.
If you want athletes to earn degrees because kids look up to them, then you should require this from all people who enter entertainment fields. (Although this requirement wouldn't work with the Kardashians or the Human Thumb(Soup reference) because they haven't actually finished junior high.)

SLY WILLIAMS
10-27-2012, 06:49 PM
A degree has almost nothing to do with their ability to shoot a ball. If you make an age minimum that might make more sense but a basket weaving degree will be meaningless if a guy is just putting in his time not caring about his education. He could get injured in those 2 years and miss out on more money than they will ever make in a lifetime. I'm somebody that appreciates freedom so I do not like this idea but if determine to go a route like this I would only consider making it mandatory for a team that drafts a player under 20 years of age to set aside $40,000 (of the players contract) for the players college education if they decide to go to school after they leave the NBA.

Hawkeye15
10-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Did not realize you talking that far back.

haha, sorry, should have made my old man claims earlier. I just remember watching Glenn Robinson, Laettner, Hill, Mashburn, Cheaney, Hurley, the Running Rebels, and all these players stick around a while. It was the norm, and the quality of basketball was simply better.

Lake_Show2416
10-27-2012, 06:52 PM
getting a degree wasnt mean you'll be a successful person, there are many innovators that are college drop outs & they've done fine. For example Steve Jobs, Bill Gates

KnickaBocka.44
10-27-2012, 06:53 PM
getting a degree wasnt mean you'll be a successful person, there are many innovators that are college drop outs & they've done fine. For example Steve Jobs, Bill Gates

They are the exception, not the rule. Plus, this really has little to do with the issue here.

DJiC
10-27-2012, 07:12 PM
you shouldn't have to force them too...its pretty lame to make people go to college for a year...it's wasting the schools time and money and wasting the players time...look at people who have not gone to college in the NBA...kobe, lebron, garnett, jermaine o'neal, mcgrady....all those guys skipped college and have made more than enough to last them a lifetime....just cause you go to college then turn pro doesn't guarantee you to be set for life...let them go pro it's their lives why are we interfering with their livelihood? not to mention some of these kids might not get a full ride through college and might not be able to afford college at all so turning pro is their only solution

Vinylman
10-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Young people have been so brain washed on the importance of a degree ... not to mention the BS about the opportunity to GO TO COLLEGE...

There is a reason Tuition is spiraling out of control right now... to much goverment money being loaned to people who should never see a college classroom...

simple supply and demand.... just wait and see what happens to medical access once obamacare kicks in....

KnicksorBust
10-27-2012, 07:26 PM
My only radical belief about IQ requirements would be for voting.

devastator72
10-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Let me ask you a question. Do race car drivers have to have a degree before they can compete in races? Another question.. do tennis players have to earn a degree before they turn pro and make millions of dollars before the age of 21 in some cases. How about professional golf players. Same question. I ask you these questions because it seems to me you have a thing against pro basketball players.. am I wrong? Hmmm.. I wonder why that is !!
:facepalm: :eyebrow:

Quinnsanity
10-27-2012, 07:55 PM
It kind of bothers me that athletes are role models or are even expected to be. For the most part these guys were just lucky enough to hit the jackpot genetically and now we're supposed to look up to them? I understand some of these guys being role models. Wes Welker physically has no business being a pro athlete, but he's a star because of hard work. He's a role model, Those are values you want to instill in children. Torrey Smith raised six siblings, worked a part time job and was an awesome student. That's a role model. Ron Artest is criminally insane and the only reason he's still on the street is because he plays basketball. He is NOT a role model. If these guys are legitimate role models then great, let's look up to them. If not let's not expect these guys to be anything more than they are. They're entertainers, I don't care what else they do.

InRoseWeTrust
10-27-2012, 07:58 PM
I don't think a degree should be required. And I went to grad school, so I'm not just saying this at the opposite end of the spectrum. Outside of my belief that college isn't for everyone, I think 1 and done is just a dumb rule. NCAA basketball is a joke.

Hawkeye15
10-27-2012, 08:20 PM
My only radical belief about IQ requirements would be for voting.

I actually have said many times amongst my friends, that there should be a short quiz when you attempt to vote. I mean something easy, like:

Who is the current Vice President?
A- Nancy Reagan
B- Joe Biden
C- Walter Mondale
D- none of the above

Have 3 questions similar to this. If you get one of them wrong, it will not allow you to vote, and a mechanical hand comes out and backhands you, and the machine says, "Thank you for trying, please leave the voting up to those who actually have a vested interest in the country's direction".

John Walls Era
10-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Hell no. What kind of degree do you think some of them can get? Probably Arts (Not even journalism, talking about general). Its bad for the other students and for the player. If they don't care about an education, can't force them to get one (despite them being privileged to recieve a free education on sports scholarships).

John Walls Era
10-27-2012, 08:47 PM
JR Smith would never make the NBA...

NBAfan4life
10-27-2012, 08:47 PM
The answer is no.