PDA

View Full Version : Coaches that have cost their teams...

Chronz
10-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Can anyone think of coaches that have cost their teams? It could be a single game, a playoff series, even a championship in your mind.

I can think of a few recent examples, like when SVG held Wade out of a final play in the playoffs. When Dunleavy put in an inexperienced player to defend a final play vs the Suns in the playoffs that cost us dearly. Mike Brown vs Boston/Orlando.

The real challenge of this thread is to see if you can find a worse example than Butch Von Breda Kolff. No other coach has ever totally dropped the ball the way he did with LA in 1969. Before we even get to his infamous, if ballsy call to bench his star with the Final game of the year in the balance, focus on the mans basketball IQ.

When LA created the first Big-3, expectations were through the roof. Its true that the stars were aging but Butch didn't know which players were actually declining on the court. The perimeter attack was logically centered around West, he just needed to figure out where the interior scoring would come from. That left the other 2 stars. Elgin's preferred area to score was the baseline drive, exactly where Wilt had been at his most effective. For his interior scoring he would have to decide on prioritizing either the incumbent Baylor or Wilt ****ing Chamberlain.

Now ask yourself this question, if you need to get past the Celtics and your team brings in the only other superstar to have actually beaten these Celtics. Would you make use of that weapon? Or relegate him the third option behind a 34 year old who shoots a low %?
As you can tell from his Finals performance, Butch didn't much care for featuring Wilt. He was posting career lows in scoring and the media began overstating his decline, when Wilt caught wind of it he responded with two 60-pt games averaging +30 for the next few weeks. Till Butch put an end to it citing a horrible looking offense.

Elgin went on to shoot below 39% in the playoffs. As a result the Lakers were a team that could have accomplished a higher level of play if the coach had properly utilized his talent and built a different identity. It cost Butch the respect of his players and his job, the immediate action upon replacing Butch was to once again prioritize Wilt Chamberlain.

You will never top that level of ignorance in the coaching ranks but feel free to try.

Quinnsanity
10-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Still mad at Brooks for not trying more zone against Miami last year. Dallas had so much success with it.

TheNumber37
10-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Mike Brown, every game.

b@llhog24
10-27-2012, 12:05 AM
SVG playing Jameer in 09.

Cracka2HI!
10-27-2012, 12:05 AM
I think it will be Del Negro this season.

JNoel
10-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Laker fans lovee Mike Browny

Ezio
10-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Scott Brooks, Vinny Del Negro... Imagine if we had Thibs in that C's series :drool:

Baller1
10-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Scott Brooks.

TO Rapz
10-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Sam Mitchell.

mvb815
10-27-2012, 12:52 AM
thibs for tearing rose's acl

edit: probably the only mistake he's ever made

Chronz
10-27-2012, 01:35 AM
Sam Mitchell.

What did he do ?

b@llhog24
10-27-2012, 01:41 AM
What did he do ?

Lol allow a player to go off for 81 points? :p

Bravo95
10-27-2012, 01:44 AM
Larry Drew in that final huddle during last season's elimination game in Boston.

rocket
10-27-2012, 01:46 AM
Not a coach but **** your Robet Horry

DreamShaker
10-27-2012, 01:59 AM
Lol allow a player to go off for 81 points? :p

It was interesting hearing Jalen Rose talk about it. That game was pretty close most of the way, and Rose suggested that Mitchell refused to make any adjustments.

Fnom11
10-27-2012, 02:18 AM
Spolestra, 2011

JasonJohnHorn
10-27-2012, 01:56 PM
I'll go with Mike Brown, just because I believe Cleveland should have been able to win one while James was still there. I do believe they had enough talent, but offesnviely, he just was out of his element. I mean, how many isolation plays can you run in one game? He just put all the work onLBJ's shoulders.

And I'd say the same for LA. I mean, they had Bynum and Gasol in the post, how did they even manage to lose a game in the playoffs? That was the best front court pairing in the league last year, and they have Kobe to boot? I think that team could have done more.

I know some folks are going to go with Scott Brooks, but in my mind, he did a really good job take a very young team to the finals. And Del Negro might get a few votes, but he did get the Clippers into the second round.

JasonJohnHorn
10-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Spolestra, 2011

I think Spo could be better. I think he has relied on convential line-ups too much, when he doesn't have conventional players. Wade and James bring hte ball up, so there is no need to have a traditional PG on the floor. He should have been starting Mike Miller at SG and Wade at PG, and this year, I think he should have Ray Allen in the starting line up. I also think the team would have done better starting Haslem at center, but hey, that's just me. I don't think he cost them the title in 2011 though. I think the Mavs were just that good.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Mike Brown in Cleveland(hasn't done anything notoriously bad yet in LA), Scott Brooks in the Finals, Del Negro's 2nd season with the Bulls, Flip Saunders with the Pistons wasn't really the best, Spolestra in 2011, Woodson in the playoffs to name a few as of late.

IDunknown
10-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Pat Riley not benching John Starks in the 1994 finals when he was ice cold.

Fnom11
10-27-2012, 02:47 PM
I think Spo could be better. I think he has relied on convential line-ups too much, when he doesn't have conventional players. Wade and James bring hte ball up, so there is no need to have a traditional PG on the floor. He should have been starting Mike Miller at SG and Wade at PG, and this year, I think he should have Ray Allen in the starting line up. I also think the team would have done better starting Haslem at center, but hey, that's just me. I don't think he cost them the title in 2011 though. I think the Mavs were just that good.

I kind of tried to forget all about the 2011 season but from what I can remember he was making a lot of questionable decisions regarding lineups in the Finals for sure. Plenty of people claimed he was out-coached and I agree. I think a few other coaches would've help them win that year.

For the record, I'm not hating on Spo. I respect him but I still believe he cost the Heat the chip in 2011

Evolution23
10-27-2012, 03:25 PM
The heat win inspite of Spo not because of him.

HiphopRelated
10-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Spolestra, 2011
Nah, Lebron cost us in 2011 Finals, unless you advise benching him.

Didn't score or defend

I Rock Shaqs
10-27-2012, 03:50 PM

OMG that made me soo mad lol, Rafer and AJ were doing more than fine then he fudged everything up, and that Courtney Lee missing the game winning layup.... GRR!

LAKERS 24/7
10-27-2012, 04:06 PM
http://halestormsports.com/2012/06/21/the-11-most-significant-injuries-in-modern-nba-playoff-history/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-11-most-significant-injuries-in-modern-nba-playoff-history

The Lakers, in quest for a 3-peat, were 11-0 in the playoffs, stomping through the Western Conference like Death Row records in the mid 90’s. Unfortunately, while the Pistons were battling it out in the tougher Eastern conference, the Lakers had a week off to prepare for the NBA finals. That gave Pat Riley time for 4 hour practices aimed on keeping his team sharp, but what it really did was overwork his starting backcourt. Byron Scott strained a hamstring in practice and missed the entire finals. The worst was yet to come however.

In a close physical game one, Magic, obviously the Lakers leader, on court coach, and every other cliché you want to use, strained his hamstring, rendering him useless the rest of the series. My Pistons would go on to sweep the short handed Lakers in just 4 games.

Pat RIley cost the Lakers a ring in 89'

JasonJohnHorn
10-27-2012, 04:38 PM
http://halestormsports.com/2012/06/21/the-11-most-significant-injuries-in-modern-nba-playoff-history/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-11-most-significant-injuries-in-modern-nba-playoff-history

Pat RIley cost the Lakers a ring in 89'

You can't blame a pulled hamstring on a coach. That makes no sense. The Lakers only one in 88 because of a injury to one of Detroit's starting backcourt players. Magic even said after the series he didn't know how they won that series, because Detroit beat them in every statistical catagory over 7 games.

The Pistons were the better team that year, and the fact they swept the Lakers illustrates how one-sided that series was.

Now, Thibs leaving Rose in when they were up by almost 29 on the other hand...

LAKERS 24/7
10-27-2012, 10:00 PM
You can't blame a pulled hamstring on a coach. That makes no sense. The Lakers only one in 88 because of a injury to one of Detroit's starting backcourt players. Magic even said after the series he didn't know how they won that series, because Detroit beat them in every statistical catagory over 7 games.

The Pistons were the better team that year, and the fact they swept the Lakers illustrates how one-sided that series was.

Now, Thibs leaving Rose in when they were up by almost 29 on the other hand...

Really? So you don't think that Pat Riley holding 2-a-day sessions and working them as hard as he would during training camp didn't contribute to their pulled hamstrings? It was right before the finals, and its no coincidence. Whether or not they still would have won the series is a different discussion entirely. If you look up hamstring injuries, they can easily occur because of overwork.

Laker players half-jokingly call Riley's practices during long playoff breaks torturous. Michael Cooper called Riley "Coach Hitler" on the eve of the team's departure, and Mychal Thompson termed Riley's practices in Santa Barbara "sadistic."

barreleffact
10-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Scott Brooks. He didn't play zone often, he switched Harden onto Lebron after game 1 which had so much success and the victory due to thabo sefolosha, He won one game with Thabo guarding him and lost 4 by allowing Harden to be abused. worst decision and end to a finals in a few years IMO

SportsFanatic10
10-28-2012, 12:47 AM

Didn't score or defend

lebron was a big part of it. but starting bibby up untill game 5 or 6 (can't remember for sure) of the finals instead of chalmers was pretty bad on spo's part. bibby was absolute garbage. spo even admitted in a recent interview that he wishes that he could go back and not go with the conventional lineups he went with. now with bosh at center miami doesn't have to play 4 on 5 on the offensive end anymore. he also said he put lebron in a box and that was the worst thing he could of done.

Fnom11
10-28-2012, 01:09 AM

Didn't score or defend

Lebron certainly didn't help but ultimately Spolestra was a huge failure in that series.

N3TS
10-28-2012, 05:51 AM

I agree, I thought Rafer should have stayed the starter in the Finals.

Cromedome
10-28-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm going with Pat Riley in '94 for not benching John Starks.

....but who would he have put in instead? Rolondo Blackmon? He wasn't getting it done in New York and I think it might have been because his shorts were too tight.