PDA

View Full Version : Changes at ESPN - Bucher out, Woj not interested

bholly
10-26-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't know if anyone cares, but I was surprised when I saw this and couldn't find it anywhere else on the forum, so it seemed worth posting.

Ric Bucher Has Left ESPN, and to Replace Him, ESPN Tried to Hire Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski

Quietly, ESPN and longtime NBA reporter Ric Bucher parted ways last month. A fixture on Sportscenter, and ESPN.com for much of the last decade (and ESPN the Magazine, to a much lesser extent), Bucher’s contract ended recently and his new gig is as a radio host on 95.7 The Game in San Francisco.

It’s been a busy few weeks for ESPN on the NBA front. The network revamped its NBA show, ESPN Countdown, and sources also say ESPN tried to hire Yahoo NBA columnist Adrian Wojnarowski to beef up its basketball reporting. (He’s not the first Yahoo writer ESPN has tried to acquire – 11 months ago, the WWL nearly poached Charles Robinson.) A source says Wojnarowski decided to stay at Yahoo. The Executive Editor of Yahoo Sports, Bob Condor, didn’t return a call seeking comment.

This is just conjecture, but the departure of Bucher probably makes shifting Chris Broussard back to being an “information guy” much easier. He was on NBA Countdown during the NBA Finals.

Earlier this month, Bucher announced he was joining a social media training firm in Portland. In a brief phone conversation with Bucher, he said there’s a chance he could return to ESPN as an independent contractor beginning January 1.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/10/24/ric-bucher-has-left-espn-and-to-replace-him-espn-tried-to-hire-yahoos-adrian-wojnarowski/

Bucher effectively confirmed it on his twitter today:

Ric Bucher ‏@RicBucher
For those who care (and thank you for that): plan to announce next week how I'm covering the NBA and for whom. Just know that I still will.
His twitter profile confirms that he's doing the radio hosting mentioned in the article, so it will be interesting to see what else he's announcing - whether it's something national or what.

I would've preferred Broussard go, and would've loved for Woj to go to ESPN (and still hope both those things happen), but I thought this was interesting anyway.

Vikes_Fan04
10-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Woj's sources are to legit. He wouldn't be good for ESPN.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Woj joining ESPN is like LeBron joining Miami.

Woj refrained from going to the evil empire that is ESPN. Props to him. :clap:

JNA17
10-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Woj is too good for ESPN. Bucer sucks so this is all good news too me. Next is John Hollinger.

flea
10-26-2012, 06:57 PM
All you need for NBA analysts are gossip queens. ESPN has enough of them, it was nice to see a real journalist reject them.

rocket
10-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Who cares. **** em all

Bravo95
10-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Wojnarowski's latest article on Stern's retirement was hilarious. The dude gives zero *****.

tapajafri
10-26-2012, 07:14 PM

More like Howard going to the lakers. So Props to Woj for not pulling a Howard and going to the evil empire known as the lakers. The only difference is Woj is too good for ESPN whereas Howard isn't worthy to be on the lakers. Lakers are all about legends and leaders, therefore Howard shouldn't be there. "

He's nothing but a follower and will always be a follower."

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-26-2012, 07:15 PM
More like Howard going to the lakers. So Props to Woj for not pulling a Howard and going to the evil empire known as the lakers

lol u mad brah?

Lakers are America's team. Live with it. :smoking:

leprechaun5
10-26-2012, 07:19 PM
ric bucher is a moron ,glad he's out .

Hawkeye15
10-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Not a huge Bucher fan, and I really can't stand Woj, simply because he always has something negative to say about my team. Yeah, that's right. I hold grudges..

Aust
10-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Props to Woj, and Bucher is terrible. Glad to see him stay and glad to see him go

Sixerlover
10-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Good for Woj, hope yahoo shows how much they appreciate him keeping their basketball section relevant.

Yeah, after Dwight going to LA, the whole Lebron, Miami thing doesn't hold much weight anymore lol

Sixerlover
10-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Not a huge Bucher fan, and I really can't stand Woj, simply because he always has something negative to say about my team. Yeah, that's right. I hold grudges..

I mean, there haven't been many positives about the T-Wolves in the last half decade :p

Hawkeye15
10-26-2012, 07:32 PM
I mean, there haven't been many positives about the T-Wolves in the last half decade :p

right, but you can be constructive, without being childish, something Woj was over the previous 2 years.

flea
10-26-2012, 07:35 PM
If you want to talk about T-Wolves and childish, look no further than Bill Simmons's continued butthurt over not getting the GM job and his antipathy for Kahn. What a sad little man.

Aust
10-26-2012, 07:36 PM
right, but you can be constructive, without being childish, something Woj was over the previous 2 years.

Actually, you're right on that one. He has been negative about the TWolves

Hawkeye15
10-26-2012, 07:37 PM
If you want to talk about T-Wolves and childish, look no further than Bill Simmons's continued butthurt over not getting the GM job and his antipathy for Kahn. What a sad little man.

yep. But, he is hilarious, and even now he has problems going after anything on the roster but Kahn. He did act like a baby though.

DoMeFavors
10-26-2012, 07:39 PM
ESPN misses when people actually thought they broke storys

DoMeFavors
10-26-2012, 07:39 PM

thats probably why you dont like me either, Woj and Me great minds think alike.

LAKERMANIA
10-26-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm happy Bucher's gone.. He should have been fired years ago

PraiseJesus
10-26-2012, 07:41 PM
to the OP: Yer right I dont care about this

BKLYNpigeon
10-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Woj. is too classy, smart and respected to be associated with the Puppets on ESPN.

Hawkeye15
10-26-2012, 07:44 PM

I have no problem with either of you personally. I do respect Woj's ability to be on top of everything, he is usually the one breaking early news. But I was so annoyed by him for two years. You really don't annoy me in the slightest.

Akagaminosteven
10-26-2012, 07:45 PM
yep. But, he is hilarious, and even now he has problems going after anything on the roster but Kahn. He did act like a baby though.

I was surprised when Simmons had Kahn on his podcast and how civil they were with each other.

bluefire7002
WOJ is a boss!

KB-Pau-DH2012
Yeah, after Dwight going to LA, the whole Lebron, Miami thing doesn't hold much weight anymore lol

What's ironic is that your team got Andrew Bynum and moved the dominos of that 4 team traded that helped Dwight reach LA. :laugh2:

ACanadian
10-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I have no problem with either of you personally. I do respect Woj's ability to be on top of everything, he is usually the one breaking early news. But I was so annoyed by him for two years. You really don't annoy me in the slightest.

I think you just broke his heart with that last sentence LOL

Cano4prez
10-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Great news :clap:

DoMeFavors
10-26-2012, 08:00 PM

As you shouldnt we are just speaking the truth when it comes to the Twolves, they are nothing but a fantasy teams dream. They love their stats. Maybe they will win the lottery this year and make the playoffs next yr.

Hawkeye15
10-26-2012, 08:25 PM
As you shouldnt we are just speaking the truth when it comes to the Twolves, they are nothing but a fantasy teams dream. They love their stats. Maybe they will win the lottery this year and make the playoffs next yr.

oh no, I meant I have no problem with you, I don't respect your knowledge of the game, so why would what you say bother me?

justinnum1
10-26-2012, 09:00 PM
bucker out?

:dance:

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-26-2012, 09:05 PM
bucker out?

:dance:

I started developing a soft spot for him during the summertime. :(

Sactown
10-26-2012, 09:33 PM

LOL :clap: Well in his defense, the T-WOLVES haven't exactly been dominating the league...

Just sayin

JNoel
10-26-2012, 09:36 PM
lol u mad brah?

Lol I hope your drunk again...

DR_1
10-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Props to Woj, ESPN doesn't deserve him.

Next they got to get rid of Broussard, Hollinger, and Magic.

Greedy22
10-26-2012, 09:48 PM

:laugh2:

Anyone who speaks ill of the wolves is a jerk.

Greedy22
10-26-2012, 09:50 PM

:laugh:

Woj actually has knowledge....you? not so much.

Chronz
10-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Thank goodness, on both counts. Both are scum

shep33
10-26-2012, 10:01 PM
ESPN has had a good offseason:

Out: Jon Barry, Chris Broussard, Ric Bucher

In: Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose

One guy I worry about is Bill Simmons. I'm a huge Simmons fan, despite his hate for the Lakeshow, but I worry about ESPN restricting his opinions. Simmons isn't afraid of saying things that other guys wouldn't go near (outside of maybe Barkley).

Dade County
10-26-2012, 10:17 PM
I don't know if anyone cares, but I was surprised when I saw this and couldn't find it anywhere else on the forum, so it seemed worth posting.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/10/24/ric-bucher-has-left-espn-and-to-replace-him-espn-tried-to-hire-yahoos-adrian-wojnarowski/

Bucher effectively confirmed it on his twitter today:

His twitter profile confirms that he's doing the radio hosting mentioned in the article, so it will be interesting to see what else he's announcing - whether it's something national or what.

I would've preferred Broussard go, and would've loved for Woj to go to ESPN (and still hope both those things happen), but I thought this was interesting anyway.

:facepalm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOYSmufqtbg&feature=related

JNoel
10-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Simmons is miles better than Broussard imo, he brings a great personality to the show.

C-Style
10-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Wojnarowski's latest article on Stern's retirement was hilarious. The dude gives zero *****.

IMO thats why he did not join ESPN, they control everything and won't allow that

JNoel
10-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Whoops wrong thread.

Bravo95
10-26-2012, 11:05 PM
One guy I worry about is Bill Simmons. I'm a huge Simmons fan, despite his hate for the Lakeshow, but I worry about ESPN restricting his opinions. Simmons isn't afraid of saying things that other guys wouldn't go near (outside of maybe Barkley).
Doubt they will, he carries a lot of weight over there. They helped him launch Grantland, 30 for 30, etc.

Sadds The Gr8
10-26-2012, 11:10 PM
good riddance. Bucher sucks ***

bholly
10-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Thank goodness, on both counts. Both are scum

Why the Woj hate?

Quinnsanity
10-26-2012, 11:32 PM
As mixed as my feelings are on Bucher, is there a single person who prefers Broussard?

ColtsSpursTerps
10-26-2012, 11:41 PM
good ric bucher's a little wacko in the head

JordansBulls
10-27-2012, 09:33 AM

:laugh2:

theheatles
10-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Bucher was the worst, good riddance.

Broussard had no business being on countdown but I think he does well as a sideline reporter getting good insider information

RLundi
10-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Would've much rather seen Broussard get the ax. He is the absolute worst.

mgsports
10-27-2012, 02:17 PM
NBATV needs Rich and bring back Chris Sheridan fulltime and use Chard Ford more often. JA Adande has replaced Rick on the West Coast.

tapajafri
10-27-2012, 03:41 PM
lol u mad brah?

lol there is no such thing as an america's team when it comes to basketball since people watch football and baseball more. but yeah, lakers are one of the most popular and legendary teams, which is why a mooching follower like howard is not worthy of playing for an organization like the lakers. the lakers have too much of a legendary history to be letting a cowardly follower like howard play for them.

Hawkeye15
10-27-2012, 04:25 PM
LOL :clap: Well in his defense, the T-WOLVES haven't exactly been dominating the league...

Just sayin

nah, like I said, you can do it in a constructive way, versus acting like a child. Woj would go out of his way to attack them anytime he could. Never saw him do it with the Kings, who were in a similar mess.