PDA

View Full Version : OPOY Year Award

ewmania
10-26-2012, 02:44 AM
so i was discussing basketball with a friend of mine and we were talking about players who would be a drift in the wind without the DPOY award giving out every year and it allowed guys like Ben Wallace, Camby, Chandler to actually get rewarded for things that are underrated in basketball

then we got to thinking about OPOY (Offensive Player Of The Tear Award)

nothing like the scoring title seeing as you can shoot 41% from the field but aslong as you AVG 30pts that season you will eventually win it

But this could be for guys who don't take alot of shots but are very good at scoring in all elements.. guys like steph curry, steve nash, dang , etc

guys who most likely won't win MVP or scoring champion but they are very effective in scoring, shooting good percentages from mid-range, FT, post, 3pt, etc. and who helped they team offensively doing so. maybe they team can be in the top offensive teams because of it, etc

so what do you guys think?

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-26-2012, 02:47 AM
Carmelo should win it...every single year.

No but seriously, Melo and Durant would be in the running for it every yr if they did have such an award.

Zefflin
10-26-2012, 02:47 AM
Scoring Leader? ... but... I get where you're coming from..

ewmania
10-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Scoring Leader? ... but... I get where you're coming from..

not like scoring leader... but yea durant would probably win because his % is so high every where on the floor

but melo probably not because he shot really bad from FT this year

Phenomenonsense
10-26-2012, 03:07 AM
You want to make a "KLOY" award? (Kevin Love of the Year)

Chill_Will_24
10-26-2012, 03:12 AM
Durant no question

D.O.N.
10-26-2012, 03:39 AM
Interesting idea.

There is so many parts of offence Scoring, shooting %, OReb, Passing, not to mention screens you set...

It would deserve an own award just like DPOY

D.O.N.
10-26-2012, 03:40 AM
You want to make a "KLOY" award? (Kevin Love of the Year)

LOL that's a good one :)

asandhu23
10-26-2012, 03:42 AM
Metta World Peace. Offends the hell out of everyone.

DreamShaker
10-26-2012, 04:04 AM
I think it would end up being overkill. Good idea, but it would be too many awards and would drive defensive coaches insane.

tapajafri
10-26-2012, 04:51 AM
Lebron. Scoring ability combined with the passing ability puts him above Durant and Melo. It isn't just about scoring folks. Passing is considered offense too.

ewmania
10-26-2012, 05:01 AM
Lebron. Scoring ability combined with the passing ability puts him above Durant and Melo. It isn't just about scoring folks. Passing is considered offense too.

good point... another good point for the guy who pointed out offensive boards and screens

I wouldn't think an award like this would kill any other award. I just feel the gortat's out there need some love also lol

and I believe kevin love have the ability to become a future MVP btw

FOBolous
10-26-2012, 05:09 AM
I like the idea. an award to give to effecient scorers vs volume scorers.there should br conditions for this award...conditions like a player must make at least 47% of their shots, shoots at least 35% from the 3, and average at least 5 assists. and from all the players that meet that criteria, you select the player that average the most points.

Gram
10-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Sure.

LAKERS 24/7
10-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Too subjective

theheatles
10-26-2012, 10:44 AM

No but seriously, Melo and Durant would be in the running for it every yr if they did have such an award.

if there was such an award Melo would not have finished in the top 3 at any point in his career

bucketss
10-26-2012, 11:09 AM

how the hell would melo win if not only hes inefficient he also doesn't have a high points per game and his iso game kill the offense a lot.

IndyRealist
10-26-2012, 11:13 AM
95% of the time it'd be the same as MVP voting, because that's what voters value.

BALLER R
10-26-2012, 11:13 AM
so this award would be based on offensive efficiency right?

JasonJohnHorn
10-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Somebody brought this up a few months ago and everybody was like; Durant would win it e ery year, but I suggested that assists count toward, because assists are part of offence. It might be hard to wiegh in FG% and assist-to-turnover ratio, but.. certainly adding up the averages for assists (counting as at least two point obviously) and points shouldn't be too hard.

b@llhog24
10-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Durant no question

Except for the fact that Chris Paul plays in the Nba.

ManRam
10-26-2012, 02:45 PM

You hear all the time how Melo is "the best pure scorer in basketball". But I don't get it. Dude is wildly inefficient at times.

I get the perception of Melo, and he's a great offensive player, but I'd take a good 5-10 players over him offensively right now.

Also, I don't think the award is needed.

b@llhog24
10-26-2012, 02:46 PM
You hear all the time how Melo is "the best pure scorer in basketball". But I don't get it. Dude is wildly inefficient at times.

I get the perception of Melo, and he's a great offensive player, but I'd take a good 5-10 players over him offensively right now.

If it's not too much trouble I'd like to see those players.

I'll spot you:

Bron
Durant
Paul
Love
Dirk
Wade

ManRam
10-26-2012, 03:01 PM
That might be it. I know what "offense" means, but it's kinda hard to judge.

Why is Melo considered such a vastly better offensive player, for instance, that Russy? Russy might not shoot it quite as well from three (32% vs 34% isn't a huge gap), but Westbrook is a bit more efficient overall. He's as explosive, can score from many spots on the court, had WAY mor offensive winshares, but why is Melo held to such high esteem? Maybe compared to their positions it's people who believe that PGs must be pass-first all the time that knock RWB's offense. I think the old ways of defining positions are silly.

There are some others who I think an argument could be made. I can't really look anything up right now so I won't say any names off the top of my head just to protect me from looking like an idiot.

Melo is top 10, but he's incredibly far away from top 1. There's a top tier, and he doesn't SNIFF it.

CavsYanksDuke
10-26-2012, 03:21 PM
This thread's title is hilarious.

I Rock Shaqs
10-26-2012, 03:33 PM
so i was discussing basketball with a friend of mine and we were talking about players who would be a drift in the wind without the DPOY award giving out every year and it allowed guys like Ben Wallace, Camby, Chandler to actually get rewarded for things that are underrated in basketball

then we got to thinking about OPOY (Offensive Player Of The Tear Award)

nothing like the scoring title seeing as you can shoot 41% from the field but aslong as you AVG 30pts that season you will eventually win it

But this could be for guys who don't take alot of shots but are very good at scoring in all elements.. guys like steph curry, steve nash, dang , etc

guys who most likely won't win MVP or scoring champion but they are very effective in scoring, shooting good percentages from mid-range, FT, post, 3pt, etc. and who helped they team offensively doing so. maybe they team can be in the top offensive teams because of it, etc

so what do you guys think?

Same guy who said the 4 point play thing with your dad?

THE MTL
10-26-2012, 03:35 PM
I do like the concept, but I feel DPOY was created just because it was VASTLY underrated in the game and doesnt show up on the stats sheet in gaudy numbers like pts, assists, rebounds.

Offense is already GREATLY weighted in all the other awards such as MIP, MVP, and All-NBA teams. definitely more taken into account than the defense. Heck, offense is even taken into account in the all-defensive team selections (ie. Kobe and Howard- being 1st team over Chandler)

dtmagnet
10-26-2012, 04:09 PM
This is basically what the MVP award already is.

ewmania
10-26-2012, 05:25 PM
This is basically what the MVP award already is.

not really... the MVP is based on not only you're performance but your teams record

DPOY is based on how great of a defender you are and how your team benefits from it

its tons of teams that are great offensive teams (nuggets) but arent MVP material

guys like steph curry is a perfect example of who could get nominated for the award if there was one

Baller1
10-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Any of Harden, Westbrook, or Durant could easily win this. As well as Lebron, CP3, Love, Rose, D-Will, Wade and Nash.

b@llhog24
10-26-2012, 06:30 PM
That might be it. I know what "offense" means, but it's kinda hard to judge.

Why is Melo considered such a vastly better offensive player, for instance, that Russy? Russy might not shoot it quite as well from three (32% vs 34% isn't a huge gap), but Westbrook is a bit more efficient overall. He's as explosive, can score from many spots on the court, had WAY mor offensive winshares, but why is Melo held to such high esteem? Maybe compared to their positions it's people who believe that PGs must be pass-first all the time that knock RWB's offense. I think the old ways of defining positions are silly.

There are some others who I think an argument could be made. I can't really look anything up right now so I won't say any names off the top of my head just to protect me from looking like an idiot.

Melo is top 10, but he's incredibly far away from top 1. There's a top tier, and he doesn't SNIFF it.

I could live with that.

Chill_Will_24
10-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Except for the fact that Chris Paul plays in the Nba.

I am confused. Is not the OP referring to scoring? If we are taking into account assists and efficiency etc then Lebron would win this award hands down.

I guess it depends

ManRam
10-26-2012, 07:55 PM
I am confused. Is not the OP referring to scoring? If we are taking into account assists and efficiency etc then Lebron would win this award hands down.

I guess it depends

"Offense" only includes scoring? That's news to me, if that's true...