PDA

View Full Version : Making the All-Star team

JasonJohnHorn
10-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Since there has been recent changes to the All-Star balloting, it came to my mind how fans voting for All-Stars sometimes spoils the game, because they simply pick the wrong players. I think we can all agree that as great as Kobe became, he really didn't deserve a starting spot on the All-Star team in 98, and perhaps 99 as well. Fans voted him in, essentially because he gained popularity for winning the dunk contest. Likewise we saw Yao Ming get the starting spot ahead of Shaq, who, I think at least, was more deserving. McGrady almost made it on the All-Star team one year despite not even playing! And VC has perhaps been voted on for seasons which the coaches likely would have chosen another player.

So me question is; What would mean more to you, being voted on the All-Star team by the fans? Or being voted onto the All-Star team by the coaches?

LakersIn5
10-25-2012, 08:39 AM
the asg is for the fans. let the deserving players be named in the all nba teams.

Quinnsanity
10-25-2012, 08:52 AM
You know what I hate about people saying the All Star games are for fans? Aren't all games supposed to be for the fans? I mean without fans no games happen right?

thenaj17
10-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Surprising to hear a Spurs fan (you are Spurs right?) say this. Duncan has been on the team the last few years when more deserving were on there (Aldridge, M Gasol thankfully did this last year)

Anyway, i'd agree with you that fans do vote some bad ones. Iverson made it the 1 year when he was barely a role player, Yao was automatic when he shouldn't have been etc.

Not that cocahes make perfect decisions - Paul Pierce got in just because Celtics were a top team, same with Pistons years before, Mo Williams, Rashard Lewis etc..

xcrisisx
10-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Not that cocahes make perfect decisions - Paul Pierce got in just because Celtics were a top team, same with Pistons years before, Mo Williams, Rashard Lewis etc..

whatever man, it's not like players 9 through 12 play any minutes...

thenaj17
10-25-2012, 10:01 AM
whatever man, it's not like players 9 through 12 play any minutes...

Everyone plays some minutes but it's not the minutes that matter, it's the fact some people pride themselves on being called an allstar. It's the all round recognition that players get when they are neither a superstar or championship contender.

kduce
10-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Everyone plays some minutes but it's not the minutes that matter, it's the fact some people pride themselves on being called an allstar. It's the all round recognition that players get when they are neither a superstar or championship contender.

Couldn't have said that better myself.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-25-2012, 10:40 AM
coaches, lets take the homerism out of the voting process, however, coaches tend to go by reputation and name rather than production sometimes, so both sides have their negatives and positives. hmm

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-25-2012, 10:40 AM
id rather trust the media, at least they go by production..

kdspurman
10-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Surprising to hear a Spurs fan (you are Spurs right?) say this. Duncan has been on the team the last few years when more deserving were on there (Aldridge, M Gasol thankfully did this last year)

Anyway, i'd agree with you that fans do vote some bad ones. Iverson made it the 1 year when he was barely a role player, Yao was automatic when he shouldn't have been etc.

I don't disagree he got on cause of reputation but last year he did not make the team, & I think he was by far more deserving to get on than Dirk was. Just the way it goes don sometimes.

Fortunately as you said those other guys made it, but that's what happens when you play in smaller markets. Plenty of deserving guys over the years never made it or didn't make it as much as they, or their fan bases thought they should.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-25-2012, 11:27 AM
So this is what like the 50th thread this month you've made to someway somehow bash Kobe Bryant.

In all of your incompetent nonsensical threads (Half of them get moved to the Classic NBA Forum since you have a hard-on with hall of fame threads) you someway somehow always same something negative about Kobe Bryant in your opening post. Someway, somehow you always try to fit him in there.

The '98 ASG in MSG was perfect for Kobe to start as it was MJ's final ASG (as a Bull) and all the media hype of Kobe vs MJ started there, and both guys had exciting regular season head to head meetings leading up to that moment in 1998 ASG.

Please, the All-Star game is boring most of those times, atleast that one had probably the most excitement out of all the recent all-star games we've seen the last 10-12 yrs due to the storyline.

JJH, get off of Kobe's genitalia, they're pretty sore right about now.

PS: you don't even know your history when you said "as well as 99" for kObe getting selected. Guess what little kid, there was no 1999 All-Star game because of the Lockout that led to a 50-game season. :facepalm: