PDA

View Full Version : Was Julius Erving underrated in the NBA?

JordansBulls
10-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Was Julius Erving underrated in the NBA?

He finished top 3 in MVP voting 3 times, won league mvp, was all nba 1st team 5 times and 2nd team twice. Won 2 allstar game MVP honors including 1983 in LA. Led the league in PER once, led in win shares per 48 minutes twice.

Many try to say he was exposed when he came to the league, but that was not the case.

asandhu23
10-24-2012, 12:08 PM
uh.... you are telling me a player considered to be one of the best at his position all time was underrated?

AsfanSince99
10-24-2012, 12:54 PM
He was not underrated by any means. It's a shame that the NBA doesn't recognize his ABA stats. The talent was near equal in both leagues.

JordansBulls
10-24-2012, 01:00 PM
uh.... you are telling me a player considered to be one of the best at his position all time was underrated?

Yes, people act like he was exposed in the NBA.

Hellcrooner
10-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Way Before Space Jam there was The fish that Saved Pittsburgh.
He was one of the first Basketball players to get media exposure and be used as image for different kind of goods, ( alongisde the alien from Lovetron).

When Nba wasnt still showed on tv in spain, i had heard/read of him as some kind of mithical god of basketball.

Definetly not underated.

If the 80s and 90s 00s had gone in a different fashion, and 20 d different teams had won rings he would have still be considered a top 5 player of all time.

But Kareem, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Duncan, Kobe happened, all of them with multipe rings wich have taken his prestige a few steps down in the all time lists.

thrice4
10-24-2012, 02:31 PM
These underrated threads are getting annoying

JiffyMix88
10-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Way Before Space Jam there was The fish that Saved Pittsburgh.
He was one of the first Basketball players to get media exposure and be used as image for different kind of goods, ( alongisde the alien from Lovetron).

When Nba wasnt still showed on tv in spain, i had heard/read of him as some kind of mithical god of basketball.

Definetly not underated.

If the 80s and 90s 00s had gone in a different fashion, and 20 d different teams had won rings he would have still be considered a top 5 player of all time.

But Kareem, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Duncan, Kobe happened, all of them with multipe rings wich have taken his prestige a few steps down in the all time lists.

Your first non racist post congratulations :clap:

P Harvy
10-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Can I get an orange julius?

Hawkeye15
10-24-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't think he is underrated at all. If anything overrated. He was a great player, but he is not in the class of the truly elte players like Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, etc. He is somewhere in the 16-20 range of all timers, but was talked about back in the day as an unreal player.

Hellcrooner
10-24-2012, 03:17 PM
:confused:
Your first non racist post congratulations :clap:

Wtf are you talking about

Lakersfan2483
10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't consider him underrated at all. He's just not a top 10 player of all time. He's a top 15 player though, which is good.

asandhu23
10-24-2012, 04:33 PM
:confused:

Wtf are you talking about

I think he mistook you for Macfitz92

StarvingKnick22
10-24-2012, 04:51 PM
He was old. Look at Kobe now, you'll understand.

bagwell368
10-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Was Julius Erving underrated in the NBA?

He finished top 3 in MVP voting 3 times, won league mvp, was all nba 1st team 5 times and 2nd team twice. Won 2 allstar game MVP honors including 1983 in LA. Led the league in PER once, led in win shares per 48 minutes twice.

Many try to say he was exposed when he came to the league, but that was not the case.

No. He was an 85% full bore myth before he played his first NBA game. His reputation started to jump through the roof while HS, then at U. Mass, and then the ABA. He was along with Jabbar easily the most legendary players after Wilt, and before the Magic/Bird/Jordan trioka.

He was an exciting and very very fine player. A deserving HOF. But he's not as high up the pyramid as his pumped up ABA stats would place him. I'd say he's between 25 and 30.

JasonJohnHorn
10-24-2012, 06:41 PM
He is rated, for those who see him as a SF, as top 3 at his position by most, and top five by just about everybody, and for those who consider him a SG, he gets pretty much the same consideration. So, being rated that high, you have to be pretty fawking good to be underrated at that level... Was be better than Bird or LBJ? Englin Baylor? Was he better than Jordan? West? I mean, these are the players he's put alongside of.

He generally isn't rated as top ten all-time, and I understand that, because a lot of people ranks power players (C and PF) pretty high because they get the high scoring averages AND the high rebounding averages, so it takes a pretty special player to get ranked ahead of guys like Wilt, Kareem, and Hakeem.

I think he's top 5 at his positon, and top 15-20 over all, and I think most people have him in tha range. I don't think that underrated. His ABA stats make him look a little better than he was because he was a monster rebounder in a league that was sorely lacking big men (Moses was in there, but he was one of very few great big men in the ABA). When he got into the NBA his numbers came down to a more relaistic level. Still, he was an amazing rebounder for his position and obviously one of the best scorers the league has ever seen, and I think most people would rank him a little higher had he won more titles, but not much. He did get an MVP award at a time when the league was VERY deep with legit MVP candidates, and that in and of itself is VERY impressive.

But no, I don't think he's underrated at all. I mean, it's not like he's better than Jordan? Right? Or maybe I'm wrong.

xcrisisx
10-25-2012, 03:40 AM
cause he played in the nba and during the dark ages (the seventies) ;)

Chronz
10-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Was he too nice for his own good?

bagwell368
10-25-2012, 12:40 PM

Most of the time. But that day he took a poke at Bird he wasn't. It was also the admission that he was going downhillllll....

JordansBulls
10-26-2012, 12:43 AM

What you mean?

Chronz
10-26-2012, 12:05 PM
What you mean?

He took too much of a back seat to talented but inferior teammates

ManRam
10-26-2012, 12:37 PM
How many times did he lose with HCA?

THE MTL
10-26-2012, 01:10 PM
I think he's underrated. People never put him in conversation for top 10 and I hardly hear his name in the top 15 either. Its because his career achievements (while great), arent as vast as the Bird, Magic, Hakeem, Shaq, etc.

People dont include his ABA career which is the reason why he's underrated. If he had been in the NBA from the start. He probi would have even more achievements and probi another championship too.

JordansBulls
10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
How many times did he lose with HCA?

1977, 1982, 1984 off hand.