PDA

View Full Version : No more C's in the all-star ballot.

mdm692
10-23-2012, 11:24 PM
http://www.nba.com/2012/news/10/23/all-star-centers-ballot/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt6a

:(

Raps18-19 Champ
10-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Good.

Hope that this rule follows when picking backups. It's stupid to have deserving players sit on the bench because they don't start at C while less deserving players get to start.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Well, it really doesn't matter in the West as Dwight is a lock to be a front court player, and the next 2 following him will most likely be Durant and Griffin for yrs to come. The 3 West forwards probably won't change for the next 8-10 yrs.

But this does in some ways have an effect on the Eastern Conference forward votings.

Corey
10-23-2012, 11:28 PM
I like it a lot.

LAKERS 24/7
10-23-2012, 11:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/2012/news/10/23/all-star-centers-ballot/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt6a

:(

why are you sad?

Jeff559
10-23-2012, 11:45 PM
I like it.

GunFactor187
10-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Another step to the NBA looking more and more like college ball...

PC
10-23-2012, 11:50 PM
There just aren't many legit centers in the league anymore. This definitely makes sense

mdm692
10-23-2012, 11:52 PM
why are you sad?

C's are now a luxury instead of need.

meloman1592
10-23-2012, 11:53 PM
well that officially takes tyson chandler out of the all star game

Raps18-19 Champ
10-23-2012, 11:53 PM
C-Garnett
F-Lebron
F-Carmelo
G-Wade
G-Rondo

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-23-2012, 11:56 PM
well that officially takes tyson chandler out of the all star game

You really think Tyson Chandler was going to get voted in as East Starter over Andrew Bynum? :laugh2:

Bynum is the 2nd best C in the league, not to mention all the Sixers fans would be voting for him, and add on to the fact that Laker fans really have nothing against the dude and are thankful for his contributions to 2 championships, and so therefore, the huge Laker fan base would vote for Bynum as a starter and would love to see Dwight vs Drew (hopefully healthy this time and not play just 3 minutes in the all star game) go at it.

No one wants to see Dwight vs Tyson Chandler! :laugh2:

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 12:00 AM
C-Garnett
F-Lebron
F-Carmelo
G-Wade
G-Rondo

Although he won't be playing until mid-March if at all, fan popularity will still vote Derrick Rose in as a starter, and then the coaches will have to pick someone from that bench to replace him while the league handpicks a wildcard addition to the bench. Depending on who that coach will be (if it's Doc, he'll pick Rondo, if it's any other coach, they make pick DWill over Rondo depending on who is having the better season up to that point).

Raps18-19 Champ
10-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Although he won't be playing until mid-March if at all, fan popularity will still vote Derrick Rose in as a starter, and then the coaches will have to pick someone from that bench to replace him while the league handpicks a wildcard addition to the bench. Depending on who that coach will be (if it's Doc, he'll pick Rondo, if it's any other coach, they make pick DWill over Rondo depending on who is having the better season up to that point).

Rondo will most likely get it though. The head coach will probably start Rondo because the Celtics will have a higher record.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Rondo will most likely get it though. The head coach will probably start Rondo because the Celtics will have a higher record.

Good point.

TeamSeattle
10-24-2012, 12:15 AM
This ******* is dumb as hell. Let the real centers who put in hard work represent their teams. Just because something sounds like a good idea doesn't always mean it should be implemented. The NBA is turning into some dang high school league with undersized players and superteams smh.

JNA17
10-24-2012, 12:16 AM
I understand why this is done, but I'm sort of conflicted by this.

While CURRENTLY (key word there) there aren't many quality centers besides Howard and...the rest, there are some young stud centers that might make a huge impact in the future. Young guys like Cousins, Drummond, Anthony Davis, etc.

Add that and the fact that there is CURRENTLY an overload of star PFs that this might make future centers miss their chances at their all star games.

IDK maybe it's a good idea and something that needed to be done now, but later...I don't know, I think this might have been too soon for this to happen.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-24-2012, 12:18 AM
This ******* is dumb as hell. Let the real centers who put in hard work represent their teams. Just because something sounds like a good idea doesn't always mean it should be implemented. The NBA is turning into some dang high school league with undersized players and superteams smh.

So we should let them in even though other people deserve it? Gotcha.

meloman1592
10-24-2012, 12:21 AM
You really think Tyson Chandler was going to get voted in as East Starter over Andrew Bynum? :laugh2:

Bynum is the 2nd best C in the league, not to mention all the Sixers fans would be voting for him, and add on to the fact that Laker fans really have nothing against the dude and are thankful for his contributions to 2 championships, and so therefore, the huge Laker fan base would vote for Bynum as a starter and would love to see Dwight vs Drew (hopefully healthy this time and not play just 3 minutes in the all star game) go at it.

because there's a guarantee bynum will be healthy for all star break right? I know he's the 2nd best big but he isn't anywhere near durable. What if Tyson is 2nd in all star center votes after bynum? Then what..

JNA17
10-24-2012, 12:23 AM
because there's a guarantee bynum will be healthy for all star break right? I know he's the 2nd best big but he isn't anywhere near durable. What if Tyson is 2nd in all star center votes after bynum? Then what..

The only reason Bynum even had those injuries in the first place is because of 2 freak accidents. Bynum is actually quite durable and he showed it last year when he didn't have players colliding on his ankles like a cannon ball.

ayuntalo
10-24-2012, 12:29 AM

why laugh when your Dwight Howard did nothing against Chandler 1on1 last year??:confused:

THE MTL
10-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Finally! This has been LONG overdue.

Lakers + Giants
10-24-2012, 12:37 AM

:nod:

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 12:42 AM
why laugh when your Dwight Howard did nothing against Chandler 1on1 last year??:confused:

That was bipolar Magic Dwight

This is a new and improved Champion Laker Dwight. :)

:superman: :win:

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 12:43 AM

Then I will give Tyson Chandler his due and objectively look at his season up to that point and vote for him.

JNA17
10-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Finally! This has been LONG overdue.

I'm surprised a Knicks fan would be for this. This rule basically has guys like Tyson Chandler having no chance at the all star games. :laugh2:

HuRRiCaNeS324
10-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Well, it really doesn't matter in the West as Dwight is a lock to be a front court player, and the next 2 following him will most likely be Durant and Griffin for yrs to come. The 3 West forwards probably won't change for the next 8-10 yrs.

But this does in some ways have an effect on the Eastern Conference forward votings.

8-10 yrs.... wow. You are oblivious if you think that will happen.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 12:54 AM
8-10 yrs.... wow. You are oblivious if you think that will happen.

Well, Dwight and Durant are locks. If Griffin keeps up his entertainment and he gets better, and he stays with the Clippers in LA, how can he not get chosen for yrs to come.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Well, Dwight and Durant are locks. If Griffin keeps up his entertainment and he gets better, and he stays with the Clippers in LA, how can he not get chosen for yrs to come.

Because there are young players out there who have the potential to be just as good, or better than Durant, Griffin or Dwight.

JNA17
10-24-2012, 01:01 AM

Dat Kevin Love guy.

SportsFanatic10
10-24-2012, 01:02 AM
makes sense to me. 2 back court players and 3 front court players is better than 2 guards 2 forwards and a C. why should the center be the only position locked in by itself when there are only a handful of true centers in the league anyways? and it solves the confusion with guys like duncan/garnett/bosh/horford etc...

P Harvy
10-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Its unfortunate Love will probably never start an all star game

Chronz
10-24-2012, 01:04 AM
Good, now all they need to do is separate swings from pgs and bigs

odiz
10-24-2012, 01:06 AM
This makes perfect sense. Why should a player get to start just because he plays Center when there are plenty of forwards having better years. In reality though i dont think it will have any effect in the near future. Id say Bynum and Howard are starters for at least the next 5 years. I guess it would allow a 2nd center to be a starter if there numbers were good enough.

bholly
10-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Good, now all they need to do is separate swings from pgs and bigs

This was my thought, too.
The problem is you then get a similar problem with whether you categorize a combo-guard as a PG or a wing, but I guess with the abundance of PGs relative to Cs it might not be as big of an issue.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 01:18 AM
Dat Kevin Love guy.

His game isn't that flashy and he's in a small market in Minnesota. That goes against him when it comes to all-star voting.

Trueblue2
10-24-2012, 01:30 AM
The only reason Bynum even had those injuries in the first place is because of 2 freak accidents. Bynum is actually quite durable and he showed it last year when he didn't have players colliding on his ankles like a cannon ball.

Lol he's not a laker anymore, you can stop making that excuse. Yea his injuries weren't wear and tear, but that doesn't mean he's not injury prone. It takes him noticeably longer to recover than most other people and he gets hurt more frequently and severely than other non injury prone players. You don't think there are players that take awkward falls or get landed on that are fine afterward? Not to mention that because he was injured before it makes him much more likely to reinjure something, regardless of the cause of the initial injury. AND he's been dealing with injuries since high school. Dudes the definition of injury prone.

topdog
10-24-2012, 01:44 AM
It was either this or breaking the ballot down further to include a PG so I like it.

JNA17
10-24-2012, 01:44 AM
His game isn't that flashy and he's in a small market in Minnesota. That goes against him when it comes to all-star voting.

Tim Duncan isn't flashy nor is Dirk really and in their primes and early careers they started their All Star games.

I know Blake Griffen is getting that media love, but still, if the league recognizes Love as the best PF in the game, I'm sure the voting will turn to his favor then.

JNA17
10-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Lol he's not a laker anymore, you can stop making that excuse. Yea his injuries weren't wear and tear, but that doesn't mean he's not injury prone. It takes him noticeably longer to recover than most other people and he gets hurt more frequently and severely than other non injury prone players. You don't think there are players that take awkward falls or get landed on that are fine afterward? Not to mention that because he was injured before it makes him much more likely to reinjure something, regardless of the cause of the initial injury. AND he's been dealing with injuries since high school. Dudes the definition of injury prone.

:confused: Well I'm not bias (well I try to avoid being bias anyway :p), so I don't believe I am making any excuses for anybody. Bynum not being a Laker anymore means nothing, he's still not injury prone.

The medical staff is not exactly...well the greatest in LA to put it simply. If Bynum were in Pheonix, the guy would have steel legs. I think recover time is not really an issue for Bynum, especially when you compare him to other guys say...Rose, or Amare.

I don't believe that at all. There are many players in sports that have had big injuries and come back strong just as much as players that have had less successful careers from them. Currently, Blake Griffen is an example of this.

I think your confusing Bynum with Greg Oden on the injured since High School. I have never seen such reports of him being like that in high school.

No, not even close to the definition of injury prone. Current players like Greg Oden, Steph Curry, Andrew Bogut (both on the Warriors, ouch), are injury prone players. You even admitted yourself that Bynum doesn't get wear and tear injuries, which IS basically the definition of injury prone.

I have yet to see proof that Bynum is injury prone. Having two freak accidents does not make him so.

NoahH
10-24-2012, 02:15 AM
Makes sense....

airforceones25
10-24-2012, 02:19 AM
CP3
Kobe
Durant
Griffin
Howard

Westbrook, Parker
(Final guard goes to Nash, Harden or Ginobli) - My guess is Laker thing will play a huge factor in the voting

Dirk, Love, LMA (Final big goes to M. Gasol, P. Gasol, Duncan or outside and unlikely possibility Odom)

JNA17
10-24-2012, 02:20 AM
I want to see:

Nash
Kobe
Durant
Gasol
Howard

just for the lulz.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 02:30 AM
Tim Duncan isn't flashy nor is Dirk really and in their primes and early careers they started their All Star games.

I know Blake Griffen is getting that media love, but still, if the league recognizes Love as the best PF in the game, I'm sure the voting will turn to his favor then.

But Tim Duncan growing up in this league was a monster from day 1 on both ends of the floor (KLove has excelled on the offensive end, hasn't shown that dominance defensively). Tim Duncan wins championships, I'd like to see KLove make the playoffs first.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 02:31 AM
I want to see:

Nash
Kobe
Durant
Gasol
Howard

just for the lulz.

If Mike Brown is the head coach of the West, I guarantee we will see that lineup more than once instance during the ASG.

STL Don
10-24-2012, 02:37 AM
East:
Deron Williams/Rajon Rondo
Dwayne Wade/Joe Johnson
Carmelo Anthony/Paul Pierce
LeBron James/Amare
Kevin Garnet/Chris Bosh

Others possibilities -
Kyrie Irving/John Wall
Monta Ellis
Luol Deng/Danny Granger
Andrew Bynum/Tyson Chandler

West -
Chris Paul/Russell Westbrook
Kobe Bryant/Andre Iguodala
Kevin Durant/Rudy Gay
Blake Griffin/Kevin Love/Dirk Nowitzki
Dwight Howard/Tim Duncan/LeMarcus Aldridge

Other possibilities-
Steve Nash/Tony Parker
Eric Gordon/James Harden
Pau Gasol/Anthony Davis

naps
10-24-2012, 02:39 AM
This should have been done long ago. Now everyone has equal chance. If a center deserves a spot he'll still get it. For example, Howard won't be affected by this because he's the best center and will deserve a spot if he stays healthy. On the other hand, now someone like Bynum/Tyson is not a lock in the east. Players like Garnett and Bosh can be voted as a starter if they have a better season than Bynum. Very good move indeed.

JNA17
10-24-2012, 02:40 AM
If Mike Brown is the head coach of the West, I guarantee we will see that lineup more than once instance during the ASG.

oh god I hope not.

I wonder if the league should also have coach voting as part of the all star game, and only put up a certain amount of coaches that deserve it, and the fans vote from there.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 02:48 AM
oh god I hope not.

I wonder if the league should also have coach voting as part of the all star game, and only put up a certain amount of coaches that deserve it, and the fans vote from there.

:laugh2: Now that'd be something

PraiseJesus
10-24-2012, 02:55 AM
i dont get it.

this is like mlb taking Catchers out of the all star game because most of them suck

you cant erase a position...

Wait - Stern can do anything I almost forgot

Guppyfighter
10-24-2012, 03:12 AM
i dont get it.

this is like mlb taking Catchers out of the all star game because most of them suck

You are missing the point, methinks.

PraiseJesus
10-24-2012, 03:15 AM
You are missing the point, methinks.

whats the point that im missing

abe_froman
10-24-2012, 03:17 AM
i dont get it.

not really.you can still play basketball without a defined/true center,you cant play baseball without someone to play catcher

JNA17
10-24-2012, 03:17 AM
i dont get it.

That's different.

Each position in the MLB has a clear and specific role you have to do, and not many positions in baseball are interchangeable.

Basketball on the other hand, especially today, don't necessarily have a clear role, and each role is pretty similar. Hell, we use to call point guard and shooting guard just guard, and Small Forwards and Power Forwards just Forward lol.

Think about it, is there really a clear difference with a center and power forward? Both need to rebound, both need to defend in the paint most of the time (especially on zone defense), and both positions have them scoring mostly from mid-shot to close shot. Also, both guys need to be big if not tall to play this position.

Many PFs in the NBA can play center as well if need be, while not many players in the MLB can play catcher.

PraiseJesus
10-24-2012, 03:21 AM
Allstar Center Candidates:

West - Dwight, Ibaka, Marc Gasol, Bogut

East- Bynum, Greg Monroe, Hibbert

That seems like a nice batch to pick from...

PraiseJesus
10-24-2012, 03:22 AM
not really.you can still play basketball without a defined/true center,you cant play baseball without someone to play catcher

Why don't all power forwards play center then???

It's because it requires a different skill set as well as size

abe_froman
10-24-2012, 03:23 AM
Why don't all power forwards play center then???

It's because it requires a different skill set as well as size

not all but many of them do and all can.no it really doesnt .there's no skill set definition for what a center is,it can be anyone woith any skill set ,at any height.might want to brush up on the rules

PraiseJesus
10-24-2012, 03:27 AM
not all but many of them do and all can.no it really doesnt .there's no skill set definition for what a center is,it can be anyone woith any skill set ,at any height.might want to brush up on the rules

shortstops can play 1b if they feel like it - lets get rid of 1b in ASG...

if I gave a crap about the ASG i might be outraged but I don't

Guppyfighter
10-24-2012, 03:55 AM
shortstops can play 1b if they feel like it - lets get rid of 1b in ASG...

if I gave a crap about the ASG i might be outraged but I don't

Still not getting it.

PraiseJesus
10-24-2012, 04:40 AM
Still not getting it.

you arent getting it

xcrisisx
10-24-2012, 06:32 AM
whatever. the centers weren't doing anything anyway. even dwight howard is a joke in the allstar game. his niche is defence, which they don't play. all he does in the all star game is dunk a ball or 3 and maybe voleyball a block in the 3d row...

Daunter
10-24-2012, 08:18 AM
I ferl like its a permanent solution to a short term problem.More centers are coming like Drummond,Davis,Cousins,Hibbert,Jonas,Pekovic and mcgee.

Those are all still growing and can become really good

JordansBulls
10-24-2012, 08:59 AM
That just makes it so that Bynum doesn't start. So in the East you probably have Lebron, Melo and who would be the other forward? Probably Amare or something.

He115ing
10-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Yes! No more Celtics in the allstar ballot!... oh wait.

mekedubs
10-24-2012, 09:23 AM
And while they're at it, the NBA should eliminate the "3 second" paint rule since no one really plays in the paint anymore! There are no more Kareem's, Shaq's, Olajuwon's, Wilt's etc.... To me this just shows again how soft the league has gotten...:sigh:

C_Mund
10-24-2012, 09:27 AM
And while they're at it, the NBA should eliminate the "3 second" paint rule since no one really plays in the paint anymore! There are no more Kareem's, Shaq's, Olajuwon's, Wilt's etc.... To me this just shows again how soft the league has gotten...:sigh:

Me too, this is definitely an effect of the problem more so than the cause but I miss the days of having a big man with good post moves. Any 7-footer out there should be able to put up at least a couple shots that are un-blockable and go in 50% of the time.

theheatles
10-24-2012, 09:30 AM
#MiamiHeatEffect

Gram
10-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Good. Now Joel Anthony won't have a higher vote total than Greg Monroe. :facepalm:

Six-8-TheWizard
10-24-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't like it at all. To me it just seems wrong to make a change like this

Gram
10-24-2012, 10:14 AM
I don't like it at all. To me it just seems wrong to make a change like this

Don't worry, Valancuinas will still be on the ballot.

phlp_bj
10-24-2012, 10:22 AM
I guess the loser out of all this is Bynum

Cromedome
10-24-2012, 10:24 AM
So no more Roy Hibbert in the All Star game? Works for me.

sixer04fan
10-24-2012, 11:06 AM
That just makes it so that Bynum doesn't start. So in the East you probably have Lebron, Melo and who would be the other forward? Probably Amare or something.

I'd say LBJ and Melo are locks. After that, the 3rd and final spot will probably come down to one of Bynum, Pierce, KG, Amare, or Bosh.

Swashcuff
10-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Because there are young players out there who have the potential to be just as good, or better than Durant, Griffin or Dwight.

Don't see it

Swashcuff
10-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Allstar Center Candidates:

West - Dwight, Ibaka, Marc Gasol, Bogut

East- Bynum, Greg Monroe, Hibbert

That seems like a nice batch to pick from...

Ibaka and Monroe are PFs, Bogut isn't a certainty. Try again.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-24-2012, 12:45 PM
With pf playing centers, I don't mind this move.
Change it all to forwards.

DrDre94
10-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Honestly, at first I thought you were talking about the Celtics lol

Seriously though, this is a great decision.

KnickaBocka.44
10-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Should have gone with a PG, 2 Wings and 2 Bigs

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-24-2012, 12:59 PM

i think front court classifies as bigs.

JordansBulls
10-24-2012, 01:01 PM

Pretty much.

Ill21
10-24-2012, 01:12 PM

I know, because Tyson would shut Dwight down like he did all last year

Chronz
10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
i think front court classifies as bigs.

Nope

JordansBulls
10-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Nope

Frontcourt is just SF,PF,C Which is what the Celtics frontcourt of the 80's is always called the greatest with Bird, Mchale and Parish.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-24-2012, 01:37 PM

If he produces, he'll still be off the bench.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-24-2012, 01:37 PM

This.

Captain Moroni
10-24-2012, 02:02 PM
do people still watch the NBA allstar/no contact or defense game?

Chronz
10-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Frontcourt is just SF,PF,C Which is what the Celtics frontcourt of the 80's is always called the greatest with Bird, Mchale and Parish.
Point? It sounds like your agreeing with me but Im not sure with you anymore.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-24-2012, 02:07 PM
this would be interesting to see the selection process..

Bravo95
10-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Kinda prefer they just take the 5 with most votes in each conference, regardless of position.

Nomar
10-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Damn, thought Darko had a chance this year...

Lake_Show2416
10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
:laugh2: Bynum

Hawkeye15
10-24-2012, 03:45 PM
I like it honestly. How many times did the NBA have to throw in a PF at the backup center anyways over the past number of years. At least they are recognizing that the PF/C position isn't nearly as defined as it once was.

JordansBulls
10-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Point? It sounds like your agreeing with me but Im not sure with you anymore.

What do you mean?

LakersKB24
10-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Stupid rule. I hope two Centers get voted into the starting 5 on the same team. That would be funny as hell

Hawkeye15
10-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Stupid rule. I hope two Centers get voted into the starting 5 on the same team. That would be funny as hell

why is it stupid? Dwight and Bynum will be voted in as starters, and should be. After that, sorry, there are PF's that should be getting in over the #3-4 centers. Furthermore, Duncan has been getting in at PF for years, when he has been a center since the early part of the decade. This helps alleviate that.

heyman321
10-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Thank god, I was getting sick of the Celtics making it every year.

dtmagnet
10-24-2012, 04:04 PM
I think its good, prevents years like having Magloire or Ilgauskas start for the AS team.

97NYer
10-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Hey genius, he didn't say anything about Chandler starting over Bynum. He was probably the most likely to be the backup if the Knicks have a good year, his competition being Hibbert, Lopez and Horford.

xcrisisx
10-25-2012, 04:28 AM
Thank god, I was getting sick of the Celtics making it every year.

funny man you
but not really

xxcubs22xx
10-25-2012, 04:48 AM
If the all star game starting job really means that much to you, COME ON. We all know that all star game starters still do sit on the bench. It boils down to production.

Aust
10-25-2012, 05:30 AM
I think it's beyond lame

BALLER R
10-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Let's be real the All star game will basically be LA and OKC against Miami, Boston and New york. Think about it..

JasonJohnHorn
10-25-2012, 06:45 AM
I'm not sure what to make of this. Are big men that scarce now? Or do they just have a different skill set? Are big men more fluid, and agile, or is the true big man (and by big man I mean center) a dying bread. Will we having nothing but forwards left?

This is an odd choice, because while it allows more forwards to make the team, it also inversely may cause deserving big men to miss out on the all-star team. We could end up with NO centers on the team at all.

And by the same token, might the NBA also consider combining the SF and SG position on the ballot? Since the two positions share so much in common? Or would they just alagamate the PG and SG?

Oh how I long for Hakeem and Robinson.

JasonJohnHorn
10-25-2012, 06:46 AM
I think its good, prevents years like having Magloire or Ilgauskas start for the AS team.

I agree that Magloire perhaps should have never made an All-Star team,but Ilgauskas? He was a great player.