PDA

View Full Version : Will the Shaq/Dwight comparison end up looking like the Jordan/Kobe comparison?

Bruno
10-23-2012, 11:22 PM
In terms of constant comparison? Both accolades and stats. Shaq and Dwight have similar peak gaps as Jordan and Kobe do. The Laker connection, shaq/dwight feud, title hunt ect. Shaq and Dwight have 13-14 age gap, Jordan and Kobe have a 15 year gap; both pairs played against each other while one player was late in their career, one player early in their career.

D12 fan
10-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Nobody has compared Dwight to Shaq,the media is just blowing up their hate for each other over the Superman nickname.

Shaq>>>Dwight not even a discussion close thread.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-23-2012, 11:32 PM
No. Dwight doesn't even come close enough to Shaq.

PatsSoxKnicks
10-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Well seeing as how Dwight still has a lot of his career in front of him, I think he's got a better shot at approaching Shaq (which I don't think he will at all) then Kobe has of approaching MJ, which at this point is impossible.

Greedy22
10-23-2012, 11:34 PM
It possibly could, Howard is not as dominant scoring, but I feel he makes it up on the defensive end of the floor.

C'mon D12 fan, it's a legit and interesting discussion. He never compared them skill/talent wise.

Andrew32
10-23-2012, 11:46 PM
No.

I can say with almost 100% certainty that the gap between Shaq / Dwight will be much larger then the gap between Jordan / Kobe when all four are retired.

Obviously we cant predict the future and maybe Dwight will improve incredibly over the years but based on what I have seen so far that is my opinion.

Dwight is a great player though. I enjoy watching him play.

LakeShowRaider
10-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Well seeing as how Dwight still has a lot of his career in front of him, I think he's got a better shot at approaching Shaq (which I don't think he will at all) then Kobe has of approaching MJ, which at this point is impossible.

5 rings and top 5 scoring all time. I'd say he's pretty damn close.

Andrew32
10-23-2012, 11:57 PM

His performances and impact over his best 1, 3, 5, 7, 10 and 13 years really pale in comparison to Jordans.

Maybe in terms of Rings he is close... maybe he will even get 6 Rings like Jordan.

However I think "Rings" are less important then performances.
Performances or Production / intangibles & Impact are more individual based then Rings which are a team accomplishment.

Karl Malone has more pts then MJ and yet he isn't Top 10.

WickedBadMan
10-23-2012, 11:57 PM
If by similar you mean in that everyone knows Kobe is inferior to Jordan, then yes, they are similar situations.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Kobe is compared to Michael because of the similar skills, game, physical and mental approach to the game, and Kobe has always looked up to Michael, emulated a great portion of his game after the GOAT and Kobe has always given the indications that he wanted to be like Mike but yet shows the respect toward Michael (wearing his Bulls #23 jersey in the lockerrom right after the champagne bath following the Lakers 3 peat in 2002 against the Nets).

Dwight has looked up to Shaq in some ways but he hasn't tried to emulate or mirror his game after him nor have you seen Dwight wearing an O'Neal 34 Lakers jersey or O'Neal 32 Magic jersey. Dwight has never brought upon the comparisons with Shaq besides the slam dunk contest when he got out of the phone booth with a superman cape on. Shaq is lights ahead of Dwight offensively, but defensively, Dwight is something that us Laker fans wanted Shaq to do but was too lazy or out of shape to do in consistently rebounding the ball, protecting the paint (not just when he wanted to when he felt involved in the offense) etc.

RipCity32
10-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Shaq was averaging around 30pts 14rebs 3blks at Dwights age now

Andrew32
10-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Dwight is something that us Laker fans wanted Shaq to do but was too lazy or out of shape to do in consistently rebounding the ball, protecting the paint.
Shaq is #3 All-Time in playoff rebounds after only Wilt and Russell.
He was consistently dominant on the boards from 99-04.

Shaq is Top 10 in All-Time playoff Defensive WShares.

He was never seriously out of shape and the only year he was even slightly out of shape was in 2003 and even then he had one of the most dominant seasons of his career.
Also that was because of injury.

Shaq was a better paint/rim defender then Dwight has ever been and a better m2m defender also.
His defensive anchoring was a big reason behind the success of those Laker teams.

Shaq wasn't lazy during the season in terms of his oncourt play.
He always went 100% on both ends of the floor especially in the playoffs.

Shaq always played hard and was always trying to kill his opponent.

My point is your implication that Shaq didn't guard the paint well or rebound well is asinine.
If you want to say Dwight does it better that is one thing but don't take it so far and disrespect my boy.

ldawg
10-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Shaq massive size give him a huge advantage over even the most skilled big man. Howard got a few defensive player of the year award something Shaq never won. Howard still got ways to go but it will come down to how many rings. They have some what similar style of play. But at Shaq size the game came easier and it shows in his stats. Kobe would never have been in Jordan air if it was not for those rings.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Shaq is #3 All-Time in playoff rebounds after only Wilt and Russell.
He was consistently dominant on the boards from 99-04.

Shaq is Top 10 in All-Time playoff Defensive WShares.

He was never seriously out of shape and the only year he was even slightly out of shape was in 2003 and even then he had one of the most dominant seasons of his career.
Also that was because of injury.

Shaq was a better paint/rim defender then Dwight has ever been and a better m2m defender also.
His defensive anchoring was a big reason behind the success of those Laker teams.

Shaq wasn't lazy during the season in terms of his oncourt play.
He always went 100% on both ends of the floor especially in the playoffs.

Shaq always played hard and was always trying to kill his opponent.

My point is your implication that Shaq didn't guard the paint well or rebound well is asinine.
If you want to say Dwight does it better that is one thing but don't take it so far and disrespect my boy.

When did I say that? I say he didn't do it consistently in that he only did when he felt involved in the offense. He was physically massive and got the job done, but his main focus and passion was on the offensive end (He and Bynum in that regard have the same mentality at that center position).

He's made statements before in saying if you don't feed me the ball in the paint, I won't protect the paint going the other way.

Now if you really want me to critique Shaq's defense....he was inconsistent as hell in showing on pick and rolls.

JNA17
10-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Shaq>Dwight, and chances are, it will probably be that way when it's all said and done. The comparisons for Shaq and Dwight is much less...well...comparable then MJ and Kobe. Plus, Dwight and Shaq play totally different games.

Dwight is a defensive juggernaut while Shaq was an offensive beast. The only similar style they have going for them is free throws, and Dwight is BARELY better then Shaq at that.

Dade County
10-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Who would compare Jordan & Kobe :confused:

Shaq & Howard are to totally different players... They play the Center position too differently to even compare the both of them against each other.

But I can say this, Shaq could never play defense like Howard; and Howard still has years in-front of him to develop his scoring game.

Andrew32
10-24-2012, 12:32 AM
I say he didn't do it consistently in that he only did when he felt involved in the offense.

He's made statements before in saying if you don't feed me the ball in the paint, I won't protect the paint going the other way.

Now if you really want me to critique Shaq's defense....he was inconsistent as hell in showing on pick and rolls.
I disagree whole heartedly.
Sure Shaq was better offensively then defensively but he took pride in being a two way player.

He was a defensive nightmare at times for opposing teams in the early 00's.
Him getting 4-5 blocks a night was a normal occurrence back then and with his size he was really good at nerfing most offensive C's he guarded.

That statement you are talking about is twisted and changed all the time.
The real statement is not that bad and either way it was said out of anger and frustration.
He never actually refused to play defense that is absurd. :facepalm:

Dwight is a better help defender then Shaq but in terms of controlling the paint and protecting the rim Shaq was much better at his Peak and same go's for m2m defense.

Shaq was imo a more capable defensive anchor then Dwight due to size and court awareness.

Dwight is relied upon less to score and more of a defensive minded player but still...

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Who would compare Jordan & Kobe :confused:

Shaq & Howard are to totally different players... They play the Center position too differently to even compare the both of them against each other.

But I can say this, Shaq could never play defense like Howard; and Howard still has years in-front of him to develop his scoring game.

Incorrect, he had all the capabilities (physically), but mentally and attitude wise, that's where he lacked. He was always offensively motivated and if he didn't feel involved offensively, he wouldn't give it his all on the other end.

If he put in even a little more effort and mentally energy in defending the P&R and going up and average 14-15+ rebounds a season, right now, we would be saying that Shaquille O'Neal is the unquestioned greatest center of all time.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 12:36 AM
I disagree whole heartedly.
Sure Shaq was better offensively then defensively but he took pride in being a two way player.

He was a defensive nightmare at times for opposing teams in the early 00's.
Him getting 4-5 blocks a night was a normal occurrence back then and with his size he was really good at nerfing most offensive C's he guarded.

That statement you are talking about is twisted and changed all the time.
The real statement is not that bad and either way it was said out of anger and frustration.
He never actually refused to play defense that is absurd. :facepalm:

Dwight is a better help defender then Shaq but in terms of controlling the paint and protecting the rim Shaq was much better at his Peak and same go's for m2m defense.

Shaq was imo a more capable defensive anchor then Dwight due to size and court awareness.

Dwight is relied upon less to score and more of a defensive minded player but still...

First of all dude, please refrain from using facepalms as it doesn't strengthen your case here or make you look cool.

This is legitimately one of the first threads that I am interested in discussing with you; it's a great topic as you and I both admire Shaq.

SInce you claim yourself as Shaq's good buddy, honestly, tell me, do you not think if Shaq gave it more on the defensive side of the ball and consistently defended the P&R, would he not be the greatest center in history today?

obie
10-24-2012, 12:40 AM
no ****ing way!!! Shaq was a beast. the only comparison is post Laker Shaq and current Dwight MAYBE...or maybe post Heat Shaq...haha...Shaq was a ****ing monster

Andrew32
10-24-2012, 12:41 AM
SInce you claim yourself as Shaq's good buddy, honestly, tell me, do you not think if Shaq gave it more on the defensive side of the ball and consistently defended the P&R, would he not be the greatest center in history today?

Eh... I think Shaq generally played his hardest on both ends during the playoffs.
Maybe around 03 or 04 his defensive effort went down slightly but I don't remember that being the case.

It's easy to just assume things...

I think the only thing Shaq could have done better is take more pride in his off season conditioning after the 00 season.

If he did that he might have prevented some injuries and sustained his dominance longer.

That was his Achilles heal imo.
He was such a physical freak in terms of raw athleticism
Even in 03 when he was overweight he didn't even appear to lose much athleticism.

Eventually though as he got older his natural athletic ability wasn't enough anymore and he started to decline.

Also he should have worked harder on his FT's... he had them good in 02 and 03 but then they went to **** again.

So yeah I do think Shaq underachieved in a sense but not by an incredible amount the way some think.

Dade County
10-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Incorrect, he had all the capabilities (physically), but mentally and attitude wise, that's where he lacked. He was always offensively motivated and if he didn't feel involved offensively, he wouldn't give it his all on the other end.

But you can feel that way, but he never proved it year in and year out, so your claims fall on death ears.

Howard has proven it and he will continue to prove it, on the defensive side of the ball.

Shaq was a lazy defender, thats his problem, I am not going to sit here and say, that if Shaq tried harder he would be on Howard's level on defense... NO!!!

Shaq should have proven it through out his career.

If he put in even a little more effort and mentally energy in defending the P&R and going up and average 14-15+ rebounds a season, right now, we would be saying that Shaquille O'Neal is the unquestioned greatest center of all time.

I see it like this, all the other Centers that people would try to name in-front of Shaq, those centers couldn't guard Shaq in his Prime, even if those centers are in their prime.

Shaq was awesome.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Eh... I think Shaq generally played his hardest on both ends during the playoffs.
Maybe around 03 or 04 his defensive effort went down slightly but I don't remember that being the case.

It's easy to just assume things...

I think the only thing Shaq could have done better is take more pride in his off season conditioning after the 00 season.

If he did that he might have prevented some injuries and sustained his dominance longer.

That was his Achilles heal imo.
He was such a physical freak in terms of raw athleticism
Even in 03 when he was overweight he didn't even appear to lose much athleticism.

Eventually though as he got older his natural athletic ability wasn't enough anymore and he started to decline.

Also he should have worked harder on his FT's... he had them good in 02 and 03 but then they went to **** again.

So yeah I do think Shaq underachieved in a sense but not by an incredible amount the way some think.

All good points, totally agree, especially the fact that Shaq's lack of conditioning led a lot to those injuries.

Seriously dude, not only did Shaq have the ability to be the GCOAT, he could have seriously challenged to become the absolute GOAT, even better than MJ. That's how dominant he was.

If only...

justinnum1
10-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Nobody has compared Dwight to Shaq,the media is just blowing up their hate for each other over the Superman nickname.

Shaq>>>Dwight not even a discussion close thread.

we actually agree on something :speechless:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-24-2012, 12:48 AM

Lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :laugh:

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-24-2012, 12:48 AM
This thread is getting me all nostalgic and making me think of those 8 glorious yrs of him as a Laker.

Can't wait for April 2nd when he get it's jersey retired. I will cry like a little ***** that night! :cry:

Andrew32
10-24-2012, 12:56 AM
This thread is getting me all nostalgic and making me think of those 8 glorious yrs of him as a Laker.

Can't wait for April 2nd when he get it's jersey retired. I will cry like a little ***** that night! :cry:

:cheers:

Bravo95
10-24-2012, 01:09 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=onealsh01&y1=2000&p2=howardw01&y2=2012

Hmmm...

Bravo95
10-24-2012, 01:09 AM
Incorrect, he had all the capabilities (physically), but mentally and attitude wise, that's where he lacked. He was always offensively motivated and if he didn't feel involved offensively, he wouldn't give it his all on the other end..
Didn't he do an interview and respond to a question about shots with something like "If the big dog don't eat, the house won't get guarded?"

:laugh2:

Corey
10-24-2012, 01:11 AM
Shaq was one of the most DOMINANT players on both sides of the ball in his prime.

Dwight is never going to peak the way Shaq did.

Kevj77
10-24-2012, 02:54 AM
No Dwight doesn't have the ability to dominate the game like Shaq did. Shaq never put in the effort defensively that Howard has and will continue to do. If Shaq would have had the work ethic of a MJ or Kobe he would have been the GOAT.

Shaq was a freak of nature like Lebron James.

Chronz
10-24-2012, 11:44 AM

Seriously?

KnickaBocka.44
10-24-2012, 12:04 PM
It won't. It will be one of those comparisons that lets you know that the person you are talking to doesn't really know what they are talking about. Dwight's a better defensive player and Shaq was a MUCH better offensive player. The fact that they are both centers that were leaps and bounds ahead of their competition in the aspect of pure strength and power that went from Orlando to L.A is where the comparison should end.

JordansBulls
10-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Accolade wise it may be closer for Shaq/Dwight as Shaq only won 1 mvp.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-24-2012, 12:24 PM

Do you fan girls ever use common sense?

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-24-2012, 12:27 PM
And yes they will end just like how Kobe/MJ comparison did. Dwight is 27 not 23. This is his prime.

He won't get better than what he will show us in the next 2-3 years.
Shaq not only was the most dominant big man, he also is one of the top 3 playoff performances EVER.(Jordan and bron are the other 2).

Dwight is a beast defensively but I wonder how good his defense would have been with the competition shaq and other legendary big men has to go through..

AIRMAR72
10-24-2012, 12:44 PM
There is NO comparison Dwight Howard is a well built modern day Antonio Davis former pacer bigman except Davis is a OFFENSIVE player with a better IQ FOR THE GAME

D12 fan
10-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Kobe is compared to Michael because of the similar skills, game, physical and mental approach to the game, and Kobe has always looked up to Michael, emulated a great portion of his game after the GOAT and Kobe has always given the indications that he wanted to be like Mike but yet shows the respect toward Michael (wearing his Bulls #23 jersey in the lockerrom right after the champagne bath following the Lakers 3 peat in 2002 against the Nets).

Dwight has looked up to Shaq in some ways but he hasn't tried to emulate or mirror his game after him nor have you seen Dwight wearing an O'Neal 34 Lakers jersey or O'Neal 32 Magic jersey. Dwight has never brought upon the comparisons with Shaq besides the slam dunk contest when he got out of the phone booth with a superman cape on. Shaq is lights ahead of Dwight offensively, but defensively, Dwight is something that us Laker fans wanted Shaq to do but was too lazy or out of shape to do in consistently rebounding the ball, protecting the paint (not just when he wanted to when he felt involved in the offense) etc.

Agree with this 100%.:clap:

Lake_Show2416
10-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Dwight & Shaq have really different playing styles & strength to there game, Kobe's & MJ's play looks very similar to each other

Hawkeye15
10-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Will Dwight be looked at as a poor man's version of Shaq? Probably.

D12 fan
10-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Will Dwight be looked at as a poor man's version of Shaq? Probably.

No because Dwight and Shaq game is totally different,Shaq was a unstoppable force in the post.Dwight is more of a defensive minded center and may go down as the best pick and roll center in NBA history.

Dwight is more like Mourning/Mutombo/Russell type bigman.

CityofTreez
10-24-2012, 04:34 PM
there is no comparison dwight howard is a well built modern day antonio davis former pacer bigman except davis is a offensive player with a better iq for the game

no because dwight and shaq game is totally different,shaq was a unstoppable force in the post.dwight is more of a defensive minded center and may go down as the best pick and roll center in nba history.

Dwight is more like mourning/mutombo/russell type bigman.

Good posts....

SteveNash
10-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Don't really see it, Kobe, Jordan, and Shaq were there own men.

Dwight seems to be chasing after Shaq, stealing his nickname and following Shaq's career path, while not doing a very good job emulating Shaq's dominant game.

JasonJohnHorn
10-24-2012, 06:52 PM
nobody compares these two players, they are completely different! They only comment on hte fued between them.

Kobe imitates Jordan's game. He plays the same position, he's won multiple championships and scoring titles, so it's natural for people to compare, but, FOR THE RECORD, the only people who think Kobe really compares to Jordan, are people who did't see Jordan play. When it comes to Kobe vs. Jordan, Kobe is essentially Jordan light. He does everything Jordan did, just not as well. Jordan was the better scorer, better rebounder, better passer, better defender, better shooter, better post up player, better everything. Anything Kobe does, Jordan did better. Kobe is the next cloest thing to Jordan, but he's not even in the conversation with Kobe.

As for Shaq vs. Dwight... They were both monster rebounders, Shaq was unstoppable on offense, and Dwight is a beast on defence. The focus of their respective games is very different. Shaq was more about offensive dominance, and Howard is about defensive dominance. Yin and Yang.

Hawkeye15
10-24-2012, 06:54 PM
No because Dwight and Shaq game is totally different,Shaq was a unstoppable force in the post.Dwight is more of a defensive minded center and may go down as the best pick and roll center in NBA history.

Dwight is more like Mourning/Mutombo/Russell type bigman.

fair enough.

Lakersfanla24
10-24-2012, 07:15 PM
nobody compares these two players, they are completely different! They only comment on hte fued between them.

Kobe imitates Jordan's game. He plays the same position, he's won multiple championships and scoring titles, so it's natural for people to compare, but, FOR THE RECORD, the only people who think Kobe really compares to Jordan, are people who did't see Jordan play. When it comes to Kobe vs. Jordan, Kobe is essentially Jordan light. He does everything Jordan did, just not as well. Jordan was the better scorer, better rebounder, better passer, better defender, better shooter, better post up player, better everything. Anything Kobe does, Jordan did better. Kobe is the next cloest thing to Jordan, but he's not even in the conversation with Kobe.

As for Shaq vs. Dwight... They were both monster rebounders, Shaq was unstoppable on offense, and Dwight is a beast on defence. The focus of their respective games is very different. Shaq was more about offensive dominance, and Howard is about defensive dominance. Yin and Yang.

This:clap:

Andrew32
10-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Accolade wise it may be closer for Shaq/Dwight as Shaq only won 1 mvp.

Yeah but Shaq is what... Top 5-6 All-Time in MVP Shares?
He should have many more but injuries / media bias cost him many votes/shares.

tapajafri
10-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Shaq > Dwight

Shaq could lead. Dwight is nothing but a follower and it will always be that way.

xcrisisx
10-25-2012, 03:54 AM
shaq had kobe as second fiddle
kobe has dwight as second fiddle

so I'd say dwight is a poor man's shaq

Andrew32
10-25-2012, 04:21 AM
shaq had kobe as second fiddle
kobe has dwight as second fiddle

so I'd say dwight is a poor man's shaq

Dwight is the best player on the Lakers right now. I wouldn't call him a second fiddle.

seikou8
10-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Dwight is the best player on the Lakers right now. I wouldn't call him a second fiddle.

yeah but its is kobe team we all know 5 mins left tie game in playoffs wewill know if kobe is really going to give this team up or play hero ball like he does over and over again

naps
10-25-2012, 06:05 AM
Similar in terms of big gaps and ridiculousness of the comparisons. People always look for next Jordan and next Shaq but they will probably never find another.

YoungOne
10-25-2012, 06:25 AM
shaq >>>>> howard
jordan> kobe

thats my conclusion ;)

dh144498
10-25-2012, 01:52 PM

not a better shooter.

5ass
10-25-2012, 02:02 PM
yeah but its is kobe team we all know 5 mins left tie game in playoffs wewill know if kobe is really going to give this team up or play hero ball like he does over and over again

U think shaq used to take the final shot on the lakers?