PDA

View Full Version : Hoopshype: Ranking All 30 NBA Coaches

xabial
10-22-2012, 07:28 PM
30. Mike Dunlap (Charlotte): It's always extremely difficult for a college coach to gain the confidence of NBA players. His buddy-buddy approach during the summer league won’t work with hardened veterans over the long haul.

29. Jacque Vaughn (Orlando): In way over his head, but the absence of Dwight Howard will provide an excuse for a disappointing season.

28. Mark Jackson (Golden State): Confused. Inept. Should have put in his time learning his craft as an assistant coach.

27. Randy Wittman (Washington): Never came close to having a winning season. Nice guy but a proven loser.

26. Alvin Gentry (Phoenix): Personable, but lacks two things – the necessary charisma and Steve Nash.

25. Vinny Del Negro (LA Clippers): Obstinate. Combative. Lucky to have coached two great point guards (Derrick Rose and Chris Paul) to run the show.

24. Larry Drew (Atlanta): His teams lack discipline.

23. Byron Scott (Cleveland): Arrogant. Takes too much credit for his part as a player in Lakers’ dynasty. Had success in New Jersey only because Jason Kidd made most of the on-court decisions.

22. Mike Brown (LA Lakers): Makes poor in-game adjustments. Caters to his star players. Has been fortunate to coach Kobe Bryant and LeBron James. Known around the NBA as the most overrated coach in the league.

21. Kevin McHale (Houston): Can’t hide his cynical attitude. Not thoroughly committed to coaching.

20. Dwane Casey (Toronto): Has never been trusted to coach a good team. Lacks the requisite dynamic personality.

19. Terry Stotts (Portland): His coaching game plan matches what he did as a player: Good offense, bad defense. A perfect assistant coach.

18. Mike Woodson (New York): Preaches slow-down, iso game. Lacks flexibility. Solidly mediocre.

17. Scott Brooks (Oklahoma City): Has great talent at his disposal, but his X’s and O’s acumen remains unproven.

16. Monty Williams (New Orleans): One of the league’s best young coaches. Still learning his trade.

15. Tyrone Corbin (Utah): Runs Jerry Sloan’s system with admirable consistency. But needs to open up offense.

14. Frank Vogel (Indiana): The Pacers always play hard. Rarely gets caught on the negative side of matchups. Makes terrific use of his bench.

13. Keith Smart (Sacramento): Improves every year by leaps and bounds. Open to learning. Has helped DeMarcus Cousins develop.

12. Lionell Hollins (Memphis): Solid in every respect. Diligent, knowledgeable, terrific motivator.

11. Lawrence Frank (Detroit): Works as hard as any of his peers. Feisty. Master of strategy. Deserves a better position than coaching the nowhere Pistons.

10. Avery Johnson (Brooklyn): Has controlled his habitual manic intensity that alienates his players. Leads the league in assistants with seven. Will be blamed when Nets fail to achieve the unreachable expectations established by the local media.

9. Scott Skiles (Milwaukee): Abrasive. Demanding. The Billy Martin of the NBA. But his teams always play hard.

8. Erik Spoelstra (Miami): Very good X’s and O’s. Did a great job managing the team’s gigantic egos. Perhaps the most underrated coach in the league.

7. Doug Collins (Philadelphia): Has greatly matured since Chicago. Has an outstanding basketball IQ.

6. Rick Adelman (Minnesota): Adjusts his system to fit the talents of his roster and gets his players to execute. A winner.

5. George Karl (Denver): Still innovating after all these years – mostly on offense. Has an uptempo style that players enjoy.

4. Rick Carlisle (Dallas): Can roar at refs. Otherwise has a calm demeanor that promotes stability.

3. Doc Rivers (Boston): Has total commitment to his team and to his job. Better X-and-0 coach than given credit for.

2. Tom Thibodeau (Chicago): Excellent strategist. Best defensive coach in the NBA. Leads his peers with .757 lifetime winning percentage (albeit after only two seasons). His genius will be sorely tested sans Rose.

1. Gregg Popovich (San Antonio): Great motivator and disciplinarian. Refreshingly honest at all times. Doing a wonderful job of integrating new players (like Kawhi Leonard) into the mix. As core players begin to show their age, managing to keep the Spurs competitive while rebuilding.

Some of these make you scratch your head, but overall nice work put in to give us an analysis on Ranking all 30 NBA Coaches.

Thoughts?

NoahH
10-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Lawrence Frank at all :bs:? Other than that, seems bang on. I wouldn't say Mark Jackson is confused tho.

xabial
10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Lawrence Frank at all :bs:? Other than that, seems bang on. I wouldn't say Mark Jackson is confused tho.

or Scott Skiles (Milwaukee) at 9? Lol

JNoel
Lawrence Frank at 11? Keith Smart at 13? Monty Williams at 16? Wow

Hawkeye15
Monty Williams needs to move up, and Whittman should forever be last.

P Harvy
10-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Randy Wittman even on a list :facepalm:

JNoel
10-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Monty Williams needs to move up, and Whittman should forever be last.

Williams move up? He only took the Hornets to 46 wins with Paul on the team, and 21 wins last season...

JNA17
10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Mike Brown should be 30. They give him too much love here at 22.

Hawkeye15
10-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Williams move up? He only took the Hornets to 46 wins with Paul on the team, and 21 wins last season...

Look at what he had to work with. Specifically last year, how on earth did the Hornets win 21? Its because they bought in. I think he is one of the brighter young coaches in the NBA, and will be elite in the next few years.

Cal827
10-22-2012, 07:41 PM
For what the team has done, Avery Johnson is way to ****ing high.

Frank is a little high also.

JNoel
10-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Look at what he had to work with. Specifically last year, how on earth did the Hornets win 21? Its because they bought in. I think he is one of the brighter young coaches in the NBA, and will be elite in the next few years.

I guess he'll prove his worth this upcoming season with actual good pieces on his team...

justinnum1
10-22-2012, 07:42 PM
looks good. Wonder how much higher spo moves up if miami wins it again this season.

Hawkeye15
10-22-2012, 07:45 PM
I guess he'll prove his worth this upcoming season with actual good pieces on his team...

better pieces haha. I do love the Anderson/Gordon acquisitions, and Davis is a beast. I think they will win around 35-38 games this year.

LakersA's49ers
10-22-2012, 07:48 PM
never understood why the dubs hired mark jackson instead of just keeping smart. Smart>>>Jackson

Baller1
10-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Scott Brooks not in the bottom 10 at the very least... Fail.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Coach Spo in the top 10?

SteBO
10-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Scott Brooks not in the bottom 10 at the very least... Fail.
This is the first semi-complimentary thing I've seen you post about Brooks :laugh2:

SteBO
10-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Coach Spo in the top 10?
I think 8 might be a bit of a stretch. I personally have him just outside the top 10, but I won't complain.

Mr. Baller
10-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Coach Spo in the top 10?

Deservingly so.

Baller1
10-22-2012, 08:00 PM
This is the first semi-complimentary thing I've seen you post about Brooks :laugh2:

Haha, I was going to say he deserves to be last... But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Being overwhelmingly generous, 20th is the highest I'd give him.

Bravo95
10-22-2012, 08:02 PM
24. Larry Drew (Atlanta): His teams lack discipline.
They kept it nice and short, although Woodson deserves a lot of blame for this.

5ass
10-22-2012, 08:04 PM
How do u rank a rookie coach. Thats just stupid

TyrionLannister
10-22-2012, 08:17 PM
As long as Pops is #1...

topdog
10-22-2012, 08:33 PM
I think it's a fairly good list with fair comments. I think Gentry could stand to move up (we'll see post-Nash). Carlisle is perhaps slightly too high.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Deservingly so.

Just because you coach the team that wins the title, doesn't make you a top 10 coach. This guy is possibly just another Mike Brown type of player who only has a good record because of star players.

likemystylez
10-22-2012, 08:39 PM

he gaurenteed the playoffs when he got the job at golden state- with a roster that had very little chance of making the playoffs.

LOL Then in the same season- Most of the league recognized his entire carreer as one of the most obvious tank jobs in recent history.

Still- Nobody has any idea what mark jackson wants to accomplish with the warriors or what identity they will have.... and hes been the coach for over a year. I have no idea what is objectives are- and i follow the warriors as close as anybody I know.

likemystylez
10-22-2012, 08:41 PM
never understood why the dubs hired mark jackson instead of just keeping smart. Smart>>>Jackson

this-

Ironically they also hired Mike malone as an assistant.... and hes probably better than Smart or Jackson.

StarvingKnick22
10-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Woodson underrated.

Eagles4Lyfe
10-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Tom Thibodeau is 2nd but Dwayne Casey is 20th and the negative on him is he's never been asked to coach a good team?? Huh??

Defensive coach that helped beat the Miami heat while stopping LBJ and CO not good enough?? lol Both are practically defensive strategists but one is 18 spots higher than the other is messed.

The goods
10-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Mike brown is to high. Lol

Bulls_fan90
10-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Tom Thibodeau is 2nd but Dwayne Casey is 20th and the negative on him is he's never been asked to coach a good team?? Huh??

Defensive coach that helped beat the Miami heat while stopping LBJ and CO not good enough?? lol Both are practically defensive strategists but one is 18 spots higher than the other is messed.

Thibs and Casey shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. It's not even remotely close, Thibs is the far better coach.

KnicksR4Real
10-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Scott Brooks should be much higher

eternal slumber
10-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Brown should be at least be listed 25 below.

LanceUpperCut
10-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Thibs and Casey shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. It's not even remotely close, Thibs is the far better coach.

I'm not saying Thibs isn't better but do you know anything about Casey and his coaching. I can guarantee Casey will not be looked at as the 20th best coach after this year.

Bulls_fan90
10-22-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm not saying Thibs isn't better but do you know anything about Casey and his coaching. I can guarantee Casey will not be looked at as the 20th best coach after this year.

I understand Casey is also a very defensive minded coach and don't really agree with his ranking BUT there is still no comparison to what Thibs has achieved with his teams defensively.

I'm all for ranking Casey higher but he's not in the same league as Thibs (defensively) yet.

Guppyfighter
10-22-2012, 10:47 PM

Because Smart sucks and has horrible rotations.

Mark Jackson was fine last year and will be this year. Unless you want to think he sucks for having to use three d-leaguers last year as starters with David Lee and Richard Jefferson being his best players for the second half.

jerellh528
10-22-2012, 10:53 PM
mike brown too high...

Guppyfighter
10-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Pacers coach is too low. Suns coach is too low. Keith Smart is too high. Mike Woodson is too high. Brooks is too high. Spoelestra way too high. Top five is correct.

Baller1
10-23-2012, 02:50 AM
Scott Brooks should be much higher

No way.

N3TS
10-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Dwayne Casey is a better coach than he is being credited for in this ranking. He took the worst defensive team and moved them up to 9th in a year.

Chronz
10-23-2012, 09:02 AM
LOL what makes them think Adelman adapts his system to cater to his talent when hes always felt the need to have some sort of pull on which players management brings him, specifically so that he can get players to fit his Princeton O? If a coach is constantly hiring, trading for the same guys to come play, thats a sign that hes a system coach IMO.

xcrisisx
10-23-2012, 09:04 AM
spoelstra at 8 what a joke... he should be 20+

theheatles
10-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Spo ranked 8 yet they STILL say he's the most underrated, LOVE IT!

Chronz
10-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Spo is a good coach, nothing wrong here

DoMeFavors
10-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Tom Thib is so overated, especially for a guy who has never played the game in his life.

xcrisisx
10-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Woodson underrated.

what has he accomplished?

Robbw241
10-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Is this a bad list, or is there really that many worse coaches out there than Avery?

Davidgta1
10-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Doc is the best coach in the league

Deception
10-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Thibs over Rivers? I truly think that Rivers is one of the greatest to coach a team, Pops is definitely #1, but Rivers is #2 easily.

corky831
10-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Thibs did learn under Rivers.....Spo is a joke to be at 8.....he's a product of all the Superstars they gave him

valade16
10-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Spo is a good coach, nothing wrong here

Does good equal Top 10?

I guess the appropriate question to whether you think Spo is a Top 10 coach or not is:

How many coaches in the league would've won the Title last year with the Heat, and subsequently, how many could've won the year before as well.

If you think more than 20 coaches could've done the first, or more than 10 could've done the 2nd, he's not a Top 10 coach.

tapajafri
10-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Rick Adelman should be higher

BHF
10-23-2012, 02:36 PM
8. Erik Spoelstra
20. Dwane Casey
jokes right?

Jamiecballer
10-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Tom Thib is so overated, especially for a guy who has never played the game in his life.

oh wow, what a gem this quote is. i've never actually used someone elses quote in my sig but you are making me strongly consider

Da Knicks
10-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Karl way to high imo, offensively his good but on defense his teams lack. He is more of a D'antoni with more personality.

PacersForLife
10-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Vogel should be top 10 at least.

smith&wesson
10-23-2012, 03:10 PM
insane to me how stan van does not have a job in the nba right now. he could easily be in the top 5 on that list.

cg_la00
10-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Mike Brown should be 30. They give him too much love here at 22.

psshh they should have an assistant coach ahead of brown. brown shouldnt even be ranked lol

Bravo95
10-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Can't hate on Karl. He coached 3 different (small market) teams to a Conference Finals, respected among his peers.

Daunter
10-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Thibs is the best defensive coach in the league and has done great with all the injuries he's dealt with.The only thing i dont like about him is how he manages his players minutes.

BHF
10-23-2012, 03:38 PM
I understand Casey is also a very defensive minded coach and don't really agree with his ranking BUT there is still no comparison to what Thibs has achieved with his teams defensively.

I'm all for ranking Casey higher but he's not in the same league as Thibs (defensively) yet.

yes he is

naps
10-23-2012, 03:46 PM
I, personally, would take Doc Rivers over Tom Thibodeau any day of the week. Thib is the better defensive coach but Doc is the better allround coach, a better in-game adjuster, and much better vocal leader/motivator.

DR_1
10-23-2012, 03:51 PM

OK so where was this great defensive coach when the postseason was going on.

amos1er
10-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Imagine, if we had gotten Adelman instead of Brown. Don't know what Jim Buss was thinking. :facepalm:

JasonJohnHorn
10-23-2012, 04:52 PM
I think it's hard to rank coaches. Obviously guys like Thibs and Pop and Doc are going to be high on the list, but it's harder to rank other guys, because they are sometimes in bad situtions. Lawrence Frank did good in NJ and hasn't had a good team to work with since. Then you get Byron Scott, who also had some good times in NJ and I thought he did a good job building NO up... now he's got to do the same with Cleveland. He's ranked kind of low I think. He seems to ahve done a good job with what he had to work with over the years. I mean, let's be frank, Phil Jackson, as great a coach as he is, was also VERY lucky. He was handed a championship team, and did no better with it his first season than Doug Collins had done the year before. Doug Collins, I think, is likely as good a coach as Jackson, or certainyl nearly as good, but he was no where as lucky. After winn 6 rings with Jordan, he got to hand picked his next job because everybody wanted him. But you take a guy like Doc Rivers, who took a job in Orlando, turned the team around, and then got fired because he could win with what little talent he had, then he takes the first job he can get (Boston, which was a lottery team at the time) and helps them win. People respect Doc a lot now, but had ainge not been able to pull off the Allen and Garnett trades, Doc likely would have been out of a job by now, like Byron Scott was, and onto another project. Likewise, guys like Mark Jackson and Avery Johnson had to take on projects in GS and NJ respectively.

It is as much about the personalities you have and the talent you have. Pop was very lucky because he was almost fired and Tim Ducan backed him up and the Spurs stayed with Pop. Lenny Wilkens, who is just as good a coach as anybody had a losing streak in TO and they fired him because Vince Carter was expressing that he was unhappy with Wilkens at the time, when he was even playing because of injury. Now had Carter been a stand up guy like Duncan, and put out 100% on the floor for Wilkens and backed him up, Wilkens and Carter would have done a lot more together in Toronto. But we all know how these player/coach conflicts usually work out, and more often than not it's the immature player who runs a good coach out of town. And talk about good luck, look at Spo. He did pay his dues as an assistant, but his first job? WOW!!! He landed Bosh James and Wade... prety lucky. I think Byron Scott, or Avery Johnson or Lawrence Frank would have as much success with that roster as Spo has had though. And had Pat Riley stuck with SVG, or Howard had backed SVG, he's also not be unemployed right now. Anywho... I'm rambling now.

So yeah... I think it is clear who is at the top of the food chain, but it's unclear where the rest of the coaches fall in line.

DR_1
10-23-2012, 05:15 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

He's still played more defense than Brook Lopez.

Ezio
10-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Wait so only guys who have play the game can be good coaches? Then why isn't Vinny higher?

kduce
10-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Lawrence Frank at 11? Keith Smart at 13? Monty Williams at 16? Wow

I'm not trying to be a homer, but being from Detroit I have more of an insite on Lawrence Frank then most people do. If you look at how terrible the Pistons have been and all of the insubordination they had (not showing up for practice, not trying, refusing to come into games) he has really made an impact.

I'll admit they got off to a really rough start, but Frank found the right line up in time and his guys really work hard for him. He has changed the culture here in Detroit and will be leading our team into the playoffs very soon.

All that said, I'm not saying he is the best coach in the NBA by any means, but based on his roster and what he has had to work with... he deserves to be in the top 50% of this list easily.

Then again, that's my opinion. :)

theheatles
10-23-2012, 07:15 PM
There is nothing more fascinating to me NBA related than ppl ranking Doc Rivers above Erik Spoelstra, their success and circumstances are mirror images but Spo has been better, yet the disparity in rankings among posters is just laughable

P.S. Spo 2-1 vs Doc in post season

theheatles
10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Doc and Thibs alone are good coaches but nothing special...each have a gift and together they form a great coaching staff with Thibs X's and O's and defensive schemes along with Docs player management and player relations, they form a lethal combination. Unfortunately, Doc and Thibs will never get to the promise land alone. Spo will continue to rise and surpass them both greatly since he is the total package of an NBA head coach.

Utd7
10-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Pop and Doc are kind of in a class of their own right now. Pop and Doc 1 and 1A IMO.

xcrisisx
10-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Doc and Thibs alone are good coaches but nothing special...each have a gift and together they form a great coaching staff with Thibs X's and O's and defensive schemes along with Docs player management and player relations, they form a lethal combination. Unfortunately, Doc and Thibs will never get to the promise land alone. Spo will continue to rise and surpass them both greatly since he is the total package of an NBA head coach.

trolling

cdnsportsfan
10-24-2012, 01:32 AM
OK so where was this great defensive coach when the postseason was going on.

Yeah, take THAT anyone defending Dwayne Casey! I mean sure he was a first time head coach last season on a weak team actively trying to tank to get a high draft pick, and he was a coach who managed to take his team from 30th to 9th in the league defensively his first season, but his team didn't play in the playoffs! Man He's LUCKY to be ranked 20th at all! :cool:

Agree with the Top 5 coaches listed, there are some interchangeable rankings in there but they all deserve the credit. And Pop deserves to be on top as well no question!

Also agree Spo is a product of superstars more than coaching skill and Casey should be a few spots higher than he is - but let's be realistic people he's coached one season, he has to actually prove himself and consistently before he's a top ranked coach in the league. Give him a few years at minimum!

Also agree that the league is seriously missing the Van Gundy brothers and a number of teams would be in much better situations with either Jeff or Stan.