PDA

View Full Version : NBA GM Survey Results Released

Corey
10-22-2012, 12:08 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/2012-13-gm-survey/index.html

There's a TON of categories, but here are some highlights, per HoopsRumors:

70% of respondents believe the Heat will repeat as NBA champs, while 96.7% think Miami will win the Eastern Conference. Since GMs aren't allowed to vote for their own teams, that means the rest of the league's 29 GMs picked the Heat to come out of the East.

The Lakers are the favorites to come out of the West, earning 60% of the votes. The Thunder (36.7%) and Nuggets (3.3%) were the only other teams mentioned.

LeBron James is the player most GMs would start a franchise with, earning 80% of the votes.

86.2% of GMs believe the Lakers made the best offseason moves, with Dwight Howard (70%) and Steve Nash (20%) earning the most votes for the summer addition who will make the biggest impact. Los Angeles' sign-and-trade for Nash was also voted the summer's most surprising move.

Besides the Lakers, the other teams receiving votes for the best offseason roster moves were the Nets, Hawks, and Warriors.

The Nets (62.1%) ran away with the votes on which team will be most improved, while Andre Iguodala (16.7%) topped the choices for most underrated acquisition -- the Celtics' duo of Jason Terry and Courtney Lee also received support in that category.

Anthony Davis (76.7%) and Gregg Popovich (80%) were the runaway picks for rookie of the year and the NBA's best coach, respectively.

Thoughts?

yaswaggin
10-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Agree with everything except that the thunder IMO are too quick for the lakers and there's no way Nash is gonna cover westbrook and if Howard goes into foul trouble which is likely with durant, Westbrook, and harden slashing then the lakers would be done for.

So I'd put the thunder over the lakers for now.

AndyfromNeptune
10-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Agree with everything except that the thunder IMO are too quick for the lakers and there's no way Nash is gonna cover westbrook and if Howard goes into foul trouble which is likely with durant, Westbrook, and harden slashing then the lakers would be done for.

Kobe guards Westbrook.

Nash will be on Thabo.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Good good, I was waiting for the GM surveys.
Thanks Corey.

Corey
10-22-2012, 12:27 PM

Works both ways, though.

What happens when the Thunder have to cover Nash, Kobe, Pau and Dwight at the same time?

The Lakers can just as well slow it to a slowed-down, half court game which doesn't benefit the Thunder as much as a faced paced game.

OKC
10-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Kobe guards Westbrook.

Nash will be on Thabo.

well what happens when we play westy harden and durant together? is nash gonna go to bench and guard thabeet?

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-22-2012, 12:29 PM
The celtics duo IMO is the most underrated move.

OKC
10-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Works both ways, though.

What happens when the Thunder have to cover Nash, Kobe, Pau and Dwight at the same time?

The Lakers can just as well slow it to a slowed-down, half court game which doesn't benefit the Thunder as much as a faced paced game.

well thats not the same.
westbrook is an above average defender.
durant did a great job guarding kobe in the western semi finals.
ibaka is very good defensivly and can hold his own against pau.
perkins probably the third best player to guard howard in the league besides chandler and howard himself.
so whats your point?

Corey
10-22-2012, 12:51 PM
My point is, the Lakers have more high end talent.

Nash, Kobe, Gasol, Dwight > Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Ibaka.

I like the Thunder more, and I'd rather see them come out of the West, but the Laker's level of talent can't be denied.

yaswaggin
10-22-2012, 01:56 PM

Kobe guards Westbrook.

Nash will be on Thabo.

Kobe got schooled by Westbrook in playoffs last year. And when harden goes in Steve Nash has to guard Westbrook :laugh2:

Artest couldn't stop durant

Harden did struggle though, I expect him to bounce back though as Kobe is now a step slower and harden is a year more experienced

Ibaka can handle pau, really the only big mismatch is Dwight on Perkins and Perkins is solid defensively

Ebbs
10-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Agreed I hate the Lakers but they will be playing the Heat in the finals.

Corey
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Kobe got schooled by Westbrook in playoffs last year. And when harden goes in Steve Nash has to guard Westbrook :laugh2:

Harden did struggle though, I expect him to bounce back though as Kobe is now a step slower and harden is a year more experienced

Ibaka can handle pau, really the only big mismatch is Dwight on Perkins and Perkins is solid defensively

Perkins blew in the playoffs and much of last season.

spreadeagle
10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
i always find these player and gm polls interesting

Rivera
10-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Perkins blew in the playoffs and much of last season.

i agree with your premise and this statement is 100% true but your not factoring in how well perkins has played against dwight in the past and taking away the fact that OKC doesnt have to double Dwight because of Perk. Perk may not shut dwight down but in the past in basically almost every matchup they had perk has held his own defensivley against the offense of dwight.

i agree lakers have the higher end talent and its going to be fun to watch i just think your soley looking at numbers of perk and his decline without factoring in the history perk has had with dwight and not factoring how dwight gets bothered by bigger bodies which is why jason collins (yes jason collins) has had some success on defense against dwight (see playoffs when ATL swept Orlando or won in 5 whatever that resul was) because collins is a big body and bigger bodies bother dwight

when those two go head to head there is some interesting matchups that i want to see that i dont have an answer for until I see them play. We can speculate but until we see these two play on the floor we wont really know the answer.

what to watch for when OKC plays the Lakers

1) the offense rythm of the Lakers. if its clicking and the parts work this is going to be a scary scary team to watch

2) who will Nash guard and how OKC is able to take advantage of whoever Nash Guards

3) can kobe duplicate his success v Harden/Sefelosha 1 year older

4) MWP factor against Durnat. Can he bother him with his strength which he has had some success? Or will Durant do his best to keep his distance and kill MWP from the outside

5) Can Durant handle better handle the toughness of MWP a year later?

6) Gasols offense v Ibakas Man 2 Man D....iblockas man to man D is pretty suspect in my eyes and hes an amazing help defender but will Pau get enough touches to exploit this matchup

7) Russell Westbrook or Russell Westbrick? Which one shows up?

8) Does Hardens Contract and will he stay will he go have an effect on OKCs players and locker room?

9) How much did OKC learn from last years playoffs and how willl they continue to grow together with one more year of expirience?

im sure im missing some but theres alot more questions in an OKC v LAL matchup than answers in the offseason. but one things for sure i cant wait to watch these 2 teams go at it, it will be fun to watch.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Lebron getting votes for best PF lol..

And I'm glad the gms agree with me that tony Allen is the best perimeter defender in the league follows by bron.

And according to gms fav to win DPOY

1. Howard
2. Bron
3. Ibaka

Interesting.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Lol they have Lebron as the 2nd best defender in the league lol hell no he is versatile and good but not top 5 good let alone second best

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM

Lets be real for a second Kobe got schooled by Westbrook besides that one sick crossover he gave Kobe I don't see where Kobe got schooled Kobe made him shoot jumpers and half the games he wasn't making squat

Yes artest couldn't stop Durant but he was injured and out of shape, artest looks like a man possessed this preseason

Ibaka can not handle Pau he's a good defender but if Pau is on his a game it's over

And did I just here you say Kobe is a step slower? Lol if anything he looks faster and more athletic then last year

Perkins may be solid defensively but Nash gasol and Kobe will attack the lane which will result in easy dunk and baskets for Dwight Howard and don't worry DH won't be in foul trouble, there's a reason he's the best defender in the league

JasonJohnHorn
10-22-2012, 03:30 PM
There are a lot of GMs that frankly don't know how to do their job, so while it is interesting to see what they say, I don't put a lot of stock in it. I would be more curious to hear what players and coaches had to say.

Frankly, these guys seem to pick the most obvious answers. LA or OKV takes the West? WOW!!! Miami takes the East? Really? Somebody had some balls and picked the Denver to take the west. Anthony Davis probably got the most votes because he was hte first pick, while there are some very talented young players in the draft who will be called upon to play big minutes for bad teams that will likely put up numbers just as good or better than Davis. Howard the best off season aquisition? No brainer. James for MVP? Only two GMs would start a team with Dwight Howard? Even those James and Durant are better players, Dwight is still the first player i would take to build around.

Obvious answers for the most part. What I'd be more curious to hear is their reasons for each pick.

I still got Indy coming out of the East (though I'm curious to see what NY and BKL play like), and as for the West, I have to see how LAL plays together... for me it's OKC, but there's a lot of if's in the west

JordansBulls
10-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Lol they have Lebron as the 2nd best defender in the league lol hell no he is versatile and good but not top 5 good let alone second best

This. Especially when a guy at your own position outscores you in the finals and another guy scores as much as you in the first round.

heyman321
10-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Awww yeah- Valanciunas will break out in his rookie year

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Toughest players in the NBA

1. Black Mamba
2. Metta World Psycho

:clap:

seikou8
10-22-2012, 06:53 PM
This. Especially when a guy at your own position outscores you in the finals and another guy scores as much as you in the first round.

:facepalm: do read what you type melo shot 41 percent and melo shot 30 percent with lebron on him.

Blitzbolt
10-22-2012, 06:53 PM
That's the only one I don't get why is Kobe the toughest?

yaswaggin
10-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Lets be real for a second Kobe got schooled by Westbrook besides that one sick crossover he gave Kobe I don't see where Kobe got schooled Kobe made him shoot jumpers and half the games he wasn't making squat

Yes artest couldn't stop Durant but he was injured and out of shape, artest looks like a man possessed this preseason

Ibaka can not handle Pau he's a good defender but if Pau is on his a game it's over

And did I just here you say Kobe is a step slower? Lol if anything he looks faster and more athletic then last year

Perkins may be solid defensively but Nash gasol and Kobe will attack the lane which will result in easy dunk and baskets for Dwight Howard and don't worry DH won't be in foul trouble, there's a reason he's the best defender in the league

1. He shot 48% from the floor in the LA series and after that 10-15 game one where kobe mainly guarded westbrook, they let sessions d up on westbrook and he did a great job, but in a long series westbrook overcame that. Now this year he goes up against kobe and nash, two guys hes much quicker then.

2. artest looks like a man possessed? let's see what he does on the court, but last year he actually had a pretty decent second half of the season after a putrid first half. he just couldnt stop durant to save his life, like every other player in the league not named tony allen.

3. Ibaka cannot handle pau? Pau shot 45.4% from the floor against the thunder, down from 50% in the regular season. Not a big dropoff, and i expect pau to bounce back after a bad postseason, but pau is not a gamebreaker like you say he is.

4. faster and more athletic? that's why he said hes retiring in 2 years uh huh. hes physically declining and if mike brown was smart he wouldnt overuse him in the regular season like last year, keep him fresh for the playoffs.

5. not gonna disagree with that, but like someone else said, perkins has done pretty well versus howard in past seasons.

yaswaggin
10-22-2012, 09:23 PM

give me your list then.

individually lebron isnt the best, agreed. guys like iggy and tony allen are better perimeter defenders.

however, lebron's help d is amazing.

in terms of overall defense (team, man-to-man, zone, help, playing passing lanes, going around screens, fastbreak defense, and being able to guard positions 1-4 effectively), lebron imo is top 3.

JNA17
10-22-2012, 09:25 PM

:facepalm: at the people who think Nash guards Westbrook or Lakers playing man to man. And of course keeps forgetting that 3 time DPOY guy at the paint.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-22-2012, 10:26 PM
That's the only one I don't get why is Kobe the toughest?

Why wouldn't he be? He plays through injury and is the mentally toughest guy in the league.

LakersIn5
10-22-2012, 10:26 PM

you are right because ur opinion has more weigght than the Gms

Guppyfighter
10-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Why would they build around Lebron? Instant contender for four to five years, building around Durant makes more sense because he is younger and has proven a loyalty. If you are excluding loyalty building around Dwight and Durant makes more sense long term wise.

heyman321
10-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Why would they build around Lebron? Instant contender for four to five years, building around Durant makes more sense because he is younger and has proven a loyalty. If you are excluding loyalty building around Dwight and Durant makes more sense long term wise.

Cause he is way better than both.

Guppyfighter
10-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Cause he is way better than both.

Be that as that may, Durant is younger and gives your team a larger window.

LongWayFromHome
10-23-2012, 03:18 AM
Whichever gm voted Tyreke Evans as the "Best Finisher" in the league should be fired right now.

P Harvy
10-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Whoever voted the Hawks winning the division over the Heat should be fired right now.

If I was a GM though I'd get high and fill these things out. Do it for the straight LuLZ

Greedy22
10-23-2012, 03:31 AM

Because he's the best 2 way player in the NBA just entering his prime? His overall game is 2nd to none and has been for a few years now.

Guppyfighter
10-23-2012, 03:41 AM
Because he's the best 2 way player in the NBA just entering his prime? His overall game is 2nd to none and has been for a few years now.

Yes, but he is 29. When you build around a player you have to think longevity. The second best player at the age of 23 will give you a longer title window. Lebron may be a great piece for 5-6 more years. Durant will be a great piece for at least 10-12 more years.

N3TS
10-23-2012, 03:59 AM
This is the stat that surprised me the most, that 29 out of 30 GM's believe the Lakers will win the Division. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with how they voted, I'm just surprised by the overwhelming majority.

Which team will win the Pacific Division?

1. L.A. Lakers -- 96.7%
2. L.A. Clippers -- 3.3%

Last year: L.A. Lakers -- 77.8%

N3TS
10-23-2012, 04:02 AM
No brainer especially if your just taking into consideration regular season record.

Which team will be most improved in 2012-13?

1. Brooklyn -- 62.1%
2. L.A. Lakers, Minnesota -- 10.3%
4. New Orleans -- 6.9%

Also receiving votes: Denver, Golden State, Milwaukee

Last year: L.A. Clippers -- 66.7%

Greedy22
10-23-2012, 04:33 AM
Yes, but he is 29. When you build around a player you have to think longevity. The second best player at the age of 23 will give you a longer title window. Lebron may be a great piece for 5-6 more years. Durant will be a great piece for at least 10-12 more years.

Lebron is only 27, he turns 28 this year. It's much easier to build around a player with an all around game compared to a scorer. I see what you're saying about longevity and agree to an extent, but Lebron is clearly the choice here. Look at what he did with that roster in Cleveland, I doubt Durant does the same.

Greedy22
10-23-2012, 04:34 AM
This is the stat that surprised me the most, that 29 out of 30 GM's believe the Lakers will win the Division. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with how they voted, I'm just surprised by the overwhelming majority.

The lakers are easily the better team here, it's a pretty easy choice.

Guppyfighter
10-23-2012, 04:39 AM
Lebron is only 27, he turns 28 this year. It's much easier to build around a player with an all around game compared to a scorer. I see what you're saying about longevity and agree to an extent, but Lebron is clearly the choice here. Look at what he did with that roster in Cleveland, I doubt Durant does the same.

Oh, for some reason I thought he was 29.

Greedy22
10-23-2012, 04:49 AM
Oh, for some reason I thought he was 29.

A year off lol, not much of a difference since he turns 28 here shortly.

BklynKnicks3
10-23-2012, 09:07 AM
melo got a mvp vote from a gm top 3 lets go meloooooo

xcrisisx
10-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Whichever gm voted Tyreke Evans as the "Best Finisher" in the league should be fired right now.

indeed I've never even seen him finish with the left hand,
let alone the left side of the hoop:facepalm:

Cal827
10-23-2012, 11:41 AM
So, who's **** did ATL's GM have to suck in order to get them to vote for Atlanta to win that division? lol

Also, Melo gets the last shot. I may not like the guy, but in the crunch, he's amazing.

dhopisthename
10-23-2012, 11:53 AM
So, who's **** did ATL's GM have to suck in order to get them to vote for Atlanta to win that division? lol

Also, Melo gets the last shot. I may not like the guy, but in the crunch, he's amazing.

only thing I can think of is that the heat have to vote and can't vote for themselves or some team really doesn't like the heat

KingPosey
10-23-2012, 12:22 PM
i agree with your premise and this statement is 100% true but your not factoring in how well perkins has played against dwight in the past and taking away the fact that OKC doesnt have to double Dwight because of Perk. Perk may not shut dwight down but in the past in basically almost every matchup they had perk has held his own defensivley against the offense of dwight.

i agree lakers have the higher end talent and its going to be fun to watch i just think your soley looking at numbers of perk and his decline without factoring in the history perk has had with dwight and not factoring how dwight gets bothered by bigger bodies which is why jason collins (yes jason collins) has had some success on defense against dwight (see playoffs when ATL swept Orlando or won in 5 whatever that resul was) because collins is a big body and bigger bodies bother dwight

when those two go head to head there is some interesting matchups that i want to see that i dont have an answer for until I see them play. We can speculate but until we see these two play on the floor we wont really know the answer.

what to watch for when OKC plays the Lakers

1) the offense rythm of the Lakers. if its clicking and the parts work this is going to be a scary scary team to watch

2) who will Nash guard and how OKC is able to take advantage of whoever Nash Guards

3) can kobe duplicate his success v Harden/Sefelosha 1 year older

4) MWP factor against Durnat. Can he bother him with his strength which he has had some success? Or will Durant do his best to keep his distance and kill MWP from the outside

5) Can Durant handle better handle the toughness of MWP a year later?

6) Gasols offense v Ibakas Man 2 Man D....iblockas man to man D is pretty suspect in my eyes and hes an amazing help defender but will Pau get enough touches to exploit this matchup

7) Russell Westbrook or Russell Westbrick? Which one shows up?

8) Does Hardens Contract and will he stay will he go have an effect on OKCs players and locker room?

9) How much did OKC learn from last years playoffs and how willl they continue to grow together with one more year of expirience?

im sure im missing some but theres alot more questions in an OKC v LAL matchup than answers in the offseason. but one things for sure i cant wait to watch these 2 teams go at it, it will be fun to watch.
I just looked at their head to head, and Perk has had a couple nice games as a stopper, but for the most part Dwight ***** on him and is a hundred times more productive.

C_Mund
10-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Haha, you can't vote for your own team, so Riley had to vote for somebody. It's the same reason that, what, 97.3% said that the Heat would win their division and the East

Cal827
10-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Haha, you can't vote for your own team, so Riley had to vote for somebody. It's the same reason that, what, 97.3% said that the Heat would win their division and the East

Lol oh ok, that makes sense. I just wish that he picked the bobcats for the llullz

Greedy22
10-23-2012, 02:24 PM
You know Gilbert had his GM pick against the Heat too, I'm sure :laugh2: