PDA

View Full Version : Sabathia Headed to James Andrews, Elbow Surgery Likely

BackyardRounder
10-20-2012, 11:51 PM
New York Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia will visit with Dr. James Andrews soon to have his left elbow examined, general manager Brian Cashman confirmed Saturday.

"We are going to have his elbow checked out," Cashman said.

Sabathia has had a bone spur in his elbow since his days with the Cleveland Indians, a source said, and likely just needs the spur cleaned out.

Sabathia had his elbow checked in August after he experienced stiffness and was placed on the disabled list. All of his ligaments were fine then, the source said, so the expectation is this is not a serious issue.

However, Sabathia told reporters outside Yankee Stadium on Saturday that he's "a little bit" concerned.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8529333/cc-sabathia-new-york-yankees-sore-elbow-checked-dr-james-andrews

Fly
10-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Damn, that's unheard of for CC with how much of a workhorse he's been in his career. His body and all those innings are catching up to him I guess..

MetsFanatic19
10-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Damn, that's unheard of for CC with how much of a workhorse he's been in his career. His body and all those innings are catching up to him I guess..

This. It seems like surgery for pitchers is just becoming a normal thing now, though.

Guppyfighter
10-21-2012, 12:00 AM
This. It seems like surgery for pitchers is just becoming a normal thing now, though.

Probably because they are getting less risky over time.

seikou8
10-21-2012, 12:08 AM
hopefully its is nothing serious :(:(:(:(

TheIlladelph16
10-21-2012, 12:11 AM
I love CC as a player and it really sucks to see a guy have to deal with this if he does in fact need Tommy John. At least science has improved to the point that its almost beneficial for some of these guys to get the surgery.

On the other hand, I really do hate the Yankees so seeing them lose an ace for the whole year would be mildly amusing. A little torn on this one tbh.

yankeefan54
10-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Most reports ive read have said he has bone spurs. Hope thats it

waveycrockett
10-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Thats terrible but his workload is insane even for such a big guy. They gotta scale that back.

Yankee Clipper
10-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Most reports ive read have said he has bone spurs. Hope thats it

Yup. Hopefully it's just that and he will have the offseason to fully recover.

SenorGato
10-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Its really funny how it seems that every 5 years the Yankees are old and unhealthy, but also have roster flexibility somewhere that gets them a little younger here or there.

For instance, they have some pretty nice trade chips in Mason Williams, Angel Gumbs, Tyler Austin, and so on....Pineda will be in the rotation next year and will be what...24?...they have about 40 million or so to spend on FAs...

sexicano31
10-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Inb4 someone comes in here claiming that its just a way to coverup why he lost in the ALCS

metswon69
10-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Its really funny how it seems that every 5 years the Yankees are old and unhealthy, but also have roster flexibility somewhere that gets them a little younger here or there.

For instance, they have some pretty nice trade chips in Mason Williams, Angel Gumbs, Tyler Austin, and so on....Pineda will be in the rotation next year and will be what...24?...they have about 40 million or so to spend on FAs...

Yeah hoping that lower level prospects pan out was not the Yankee way, maybe it's becoming that way more now that George is dead but i still need to see it to believe it. (Not to forget Gary Sanchez too)

The still look like trade bait to me honestly but i digress.

Either way the Yankees won't have 40 million to spend this offseason when they are going to re-sign Rivera and Pettitte (if he doesnt retire). Not to mention the decision they need to make on Kuroda.

Their payroll was at 198 million this year, if they want to stay under the luxury tax they aren't going to have a whole lot of money to spend.

They are only most likely going to lose Swisher, Martin, maybe Kuroda as big money FA (that's 27.5 million dollars but they also have other backup position players to make decisions on).

Either way don't expect them to have that much wiggle room with their payroll probably already being 170+ million dollars going into next season if they re-sign Kuroda, Rivera, and Pettitte (the last 2 they certainly will)

SenorGato
10-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Right now their payroll is ~150 for next year.

metswon69
10-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Right now their payroll is ~150 for next year.

How?

When they will most likely re-sign Pettitte at a raise, Rivera at 15+million, Kuroda at nearly 10 (if they do re-sign him), and Ichiro?

They are only guaranteed to lose Martin, Swisher, Feliciano, and Soriano who make 33 million between them?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/05/2013-contract-issues-new-york-yankees.html

And Baseball prospectus's contracts have their payroll at closer to 210 million with AJ Burnett still on the books for 2013

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dEt3NklTNjQzc1lRQUJZcnBHMHBfTHc&output=html

Their major bench players like Ibanez, Jones, Chavez only make 4 million between them.

SenorGato
10-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Ah, so the luxury tax of 189 is for 2014...even better for them. Youre also adding payroll that isnt there right now, which assumes a whole lot. You realize the those links say they have ~120 committed for next year? Plenty of room to work and no superstars to hand a mega contract to except maaaaaaybe Hamilton.

RenegadeRiot36
10-21-2012, 01:45 PM
How?

When they will most likely re-sign Pettitte at a raise, Rivera at 15+million, Kuroda at nearly 10 (if they do re-sign him), and Ichiro?

They are only guaranteed to lose Martin, Swisher, Feliciano, and Soriano who make 33 million between them?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/05/2013-contract-issues-new-york-yankees.html

And Baseball prospectus's contracts have their payroll at closer to 210 million with AJ Burnett still on the books for 2013

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dEt3NklTNjQzc1lRQUJZcnBHMHBfTHc&output=html

Their major bench players like Ibanez, Jones, Chavez only make 4 million between them.

Rivera will make anywhere up to 8. 10 will be the inconceivable max.

metswon69
10-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Rivera will make anywhere up to 8. 10 will be the inconceivable max.

I don't see Rivera taking that type of cut in pay even coming off injury and Soriano opting out.

metswon69
10-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Ah, so the luxury tax of 189 is for 2014...even better for them. Youre also adding payroll that isnt there right now, which assumes a whole lot. You realize the those links say they have ~120 committed for next year? Plenty of room to work and no superstars to hand a mega contract to except maaaaaaybe Hamilton.

Again if the Yankees weren't most likely to re-sign four of those big money FAs, yeah they would have more flexibility.

But the truth is there is also a possibility they bring back Martin if they take the conservative approach at catcher.

A lot of their other guys are arbitration eligible and due for raises, that's a lot of the reason why committed payroll is only at 119 million.

You also have to take into account if they have any intentions of re-signing Cano that lessens their flexibility to a certain extent too because his next contract is gonna cost 20+ million a season.

SenorGato
10-21-2012, 02:27 PM
They dont need to overhaul the roster to field a good team in 2013. Resign Petttitte, 'who wont come significantly more expensive than the 2.5 he just made. Resign Rivera, who isnt going to cost 15 million. Resign Kuroda, who might get a raise to 12-15 million. Resigning Ichiro would not break the bank either, and theyd still have money to play with to add whatever 'they feel needs to be added. Were still talking a significant amount of money they have to work with here.

Resigning Cano is about the biggest spending theyll do this offseason if they do that, but theres more ways to spend money than just handing out major contracts.

metswon69
10-21-2012, 02:32 PM
They dont need to overhaul the roster to field a good team in 2013. Resign Petttitte, 'who wont come significantly more expensive than the 2.5 he just made. Resign Rivera, who isnt going to cost 15 million. Resign Kuroda, who might get a raise to 12-15 million. Resigning Ichiro would not break the bank either, and theyd still have money to play with to add whatever 'they feel needs to be added. Were still talking a significant amount of money they have to work with here.

Resigning Cano is about the biggest spending theyll do this offseason if they do that, but theres more ways to spend money than just handing out major contracts.

I disagree about Pettitte and Rivera, i think Pettitte see's a significant raise maybe 5-6 million and Rivera doesn't budge much from 15 million.

All i am saying is that if you factor that in plus the idea that they want to stay under the 189 million dollar mark, it's not nearly as much flexibility as it's perceived to be.

Conservatively speaking 25 million goes quickly especially if they are in the market for a Mike Napoli and replacements for other positions.

Chucky Woods
10-21-2012, 04:11 PM
The Yankees are falling apart.

Good

BackyardRounder
10-21-2012, 05:29 PM

The Yankees currently only have $120 committed for next year because they currently only have 8 players under contract for the 2013 season.

metswon69
10-21-2012, 05:33 PM
The Yankees currently only have $120 committed for next year because they currently only have 8 players under contract for the 2013 season.

Yep good luck having flexibility when you have 17 other roster spots and guys that are due for raises.

BackyardRounder
10-21-2012, 06:03 PM
That $120 figure only includes the buyout figures for Granderson and Cano as well ($2 million each). Once they pick up those options, they'll have $145 million committed to 8 players.

Bray991
10-21-2012, 06:05 PM
All I have to say is Joe Nathan, Twins fans if you remember about 3 years ago Nathan had get a bone chip removed from his elbow, because of the surgery he had to get Tommy John..

Nomar
10-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Not saying that he needs it, but many players come back from TJ surgery and are perfectly fine. Some have even been able to become better pitchers post TJ. It will be too bad if he misses some time next year, but im sure CC will come back and be the same old CC.

SenorGato
10-21-2012, 09:02 PM
I don't think this is TJ surgery, but I guess in this day and age its an understandable leap to take.

Pinstripe pride
10-22-2012, 10:09 AM
doesnt sound like tommy jon surgury is needed, so im not to worried. although it's never comfortable seieng andrews name in regards to one on my teams players

theslick1
10-22-2012, 10:49 AM
I disagree about Pettitte and Rivera, i think Pettitte see's a significant raise maybe 5-6 million and Rivera doesn't budge much from 15 million.

All i am saying is that if you factor that in plus the idea that they want to stay under the 189 million dollar mark, it's not nearly as much flexibility as it's perceived to be.

Conservatively speaking 25 million goes quickly especially if they are in the market for a Mike Napoli and replacements for other positions.

They have no use for Mike Napoli.

Agree that Pettitte gets more and Rivera gets his 15M. Kuroda probably gets offered a 2 year deal. I would hope they offer Ichiro a 1 yr deal (9-10M).

Nomar
10-22-2012, 11:41 AM
TJ is barely even risky anymore. It seems like more and more pitchers are having it done, and they end up being fine.

Pinstripe pride
10-23-2012, 08:59 AM
TJ is barely even risky anymore. It seems like more and more pitchers are having it done, and they end up being fine.

its more not ahving the pitcher for the year than the risk of them not returning

metswon69
10-23-2012, 11:00 AM
They have no use for Mike Napoli.

I know they have Romine coming (even though he didn't hit in AAA) and Sanchez sooner than later but i really doubt they bring back Martin.

I could see them looking for a catcher with those type of power numbers to possibly replace losing Granderson after next season.

SenorGato
10-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Id rather they bring back Martin than pay the biggest name over 30 C/1B/DH on the FA market. That seems unnecessary and Martin has been both productive and underrated as heck for them.

Why would they want a C to reproduce the numbers Granderson produces for them?

metswon69
10-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Id rather they bring back Martin than pay the biggest name over 30 C/1B/DH on the FA market. That seems unnecessary and Martin has been both productive and underrated as heck for them.

Why would they want a C to reproduce the numbers Granderson produces for them?

They don't need Napoli to play catcher all the time either, he can DH and play 1st base when Tex needs a day off.

I don't think you can consider a guy who was hitting below the Mendoza line for most of the season underrated.

Most Yankee fans wanted him out of town before he got hot at the end of the season going into the playoffs.

SenorGato
10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Oh thats good...a C who isnt really a C is probably high up on their list after dealing w'ith late career Posada. Sounds ideal, especially with the drop in defense they would get.

I think getting a guy who started 250 games in two years at C for them giving them 4 bWAR and 5.2 fWAR over that span, with 39 HRs and a .320 wOBA, for less than 12 million is a pretty damn good deal, yes. Sorry the batting average is not pretty enough.

Dont really care what most Yankee fans have to say on the issue. Russell at his FA price is probably a better deal than Napoli at his FA price.

theslick1
10-23-2012, 12:56 PM
I know they have Romine coming (even though he didn't hit in AAA) and Sanchez sooner than later but i really doubt they bring back Martin.

I could see them looking for a catcher with those type of power numbers to possibly replace losing Granderson after next season.

I think they will bring back Martin. He's a better hitter than he showed this year and they like his catching.

There is no way they have any interest in Napoli as a catcher. He's barely a catcher anymore. He's never caught more than 96 games in any season and he hasn't caught more than 72 games a season in the past 3 years.

Havoc Wreaker
10-23-2012, 01:03 PM
This is an excuse for how he failed in the NLCS

In reference to SexiCano

metswon69
10-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Oh thats good...a C who isnt really a C is probably high up on their list after dealing w'ith late career Posada. Sounds ideal, especially with the drop in defense they would get.

I think getting a guy who started 250 games in two years at C for them giving them 4 bWAR and 5.2 fWAR over that span, with 39 HRs and a .320 wOBA, for less than 12 million is a pretty damn good deal, yes. Sorry the batting average is not pretty enough.

Dont really care what most Yankee fans have to say on the issue. Russell at his FA price is probably a better deal than Napoli at his FA price.

Mike Napoli is only 31, not 39 like when Posada retired.

Not to mention Posada was still productive with the bat till he was 37 years old even if he didn't catch as often.

I mean you are talking about a guy who was coming off in 2011 a 5 rWAR season. Granted he regressed this year but that should lower his FA demands.

There is not much difference in salary between the two, i mean Russell Martin made 7.5 million and Napoli 9.4. Whatever it's gonna take to bring back Martin will probably cost you similar amount in average salary.

We will have to see how many years Napoli gets but i wouldn't expect it to be 4-5 years.

Nomar
10-23-2012, 01:19 PM
its more not ahving the pitcher for the year than the risk of them not returning

Agreed

LakersA's49ers
10-23-2012, 01:26 PM
I like CC. He came from the bay area and did a lot for the bay, including vallejo obviously. Would be a major blow to their rotation w/o CC, and even Pineda until june perhaps

Vintage
10-23-2012, 01:28 PM
AJ Pierzynski was born in New York. He'd be the best fit for them on a 2-3 year deal until Sanchez is ready

He plays with a lot of passion too. The Yankees need someone with fire and an improvement offensively at C

Martin did great down the stretch but I want to see someone else. Pierzynski's power #'s will improve at YS

agureghian
10-23-2012, 02:45 PM
surprised...
next thing we know, verlander, another workhorse has to go see Dr James Andrews.

numba1CHANGsta
10-23-2012, 02:59 PM
It dont look good for the Yankees next season, they should blow up that team, their only reliable player is Cano and maybe Granderson

Yankee Clipper
10-23-2012, 03:06 PM
It dont look good for the Yankees next season, they should blow up that team, their only reliable player is Cano and maybe Granderson

Blow up a team that won 95 games? Wow.

SenorGato
10-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Mike Napoli is only 31, not 39 like when Posada retired.

At 31 Posada was in the middle of catching 130+ games a year. At 37 he caught 100 games. Last year at age 30 Napoli caught 72 games.

Not to mention Posada was still productive with the bat till he was 37 years old even if he didn't catch as often.

And theyll be l'ooking for a catcher, not another potential 1B/DH backup.

There is not much difference in salary between the two, i mean Russell Martin made 7.5 million and Napoli 9.4. Whatever it's gonna take to bring back Martin will probably cost you similar amount in average salary.

Ignoring that Martin is cheaper and will most likely remain cheaper, one of them can actually handle the duties of being a starting major league catcher. It is not Napoli.

We will have to see how many years Napoli gets but i wouldn't expect it to be 4-5 years.

Either way, hes a platoon catcher at best for a team that has little use for him otherwise.

SenorGato
10-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Blow up a team that won 95 games? Wow.

Sure they won 95 games, but how many of those players were really young? Where does your farm system rank according to the experts? Your payroll i's h'igh!

Yankee Clipper
10-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Sure they won 95 games, but how many of those players were really young? Where does your farm system rank according to the experts? Your payroll i's h'igh!

I'm not saying make some adjustments, but blowing up the team sounds a little bit over the top.

Nomar
10-23-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm not saying make some adjustments, but blowing up the team sounds a little bit over the top.

Agreed. And idk how you blow up a team with so many old players without getting rid of younger talent too. Some youth is going to important, but blowing up the team... thats a stretch.

We had to get rid of AGon to ditch Beckett and Crawford.

scottythegreat1
10-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Its always a bad sign for a team if theyre taking a pitcher to see Dr. James Andrews...Its as if every team has at least ONE pitcher going to see him a year.

Sabathia could miss the whole 2013 season, as that is the typical "Dr. Andrews" case.

I know a lot of people are suggesting the Yankees blow up the team, age is a concern, but you have to consider the economics of baseball contracts. If You want THIS many superstars on your team, youre going to have them locked up in these 7/8 year contracts and youre going to pay a premium for them because other teams will want those players too and youre going to have to beat them out, and in New York, youre going to have to perform and win the world series every year or its a bad year.

Anyways, TOO MANY long term deals on ONE TEAM are a disaster, and this is a lesson to learn for the New York Yankees. Superstars are nice, but you need to have the right mix of superstars and young guys.....

SenorGato
10-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Sabathia could miss the whole 2013 season, as that is the typical "Dr. Andrews" case.

Thats the typical Andrews case factually speaking or just something to be thrown out and maybe taken seriously?

Pinstripe pride
10-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Its always a bad sign for a team if theyre taking a pitcher to see Dr. James Andrews...Its as if every team has at least ONE pitcher going to see him a year.

I know a lot of people are suggesting the Yankees blow up the team, age is a concern, but you have to consider the economics of baseball contracts. If You want THIS many superstars on your team, youre going to have them locked up in these 7/8 year contracts and youre going to pay a premium for them because other teams will want those players too and youre going to have to beat them out, and in New York, youre going to have to perform and win the world series every year or its a bad year.

Anyways, TOO MANY long term deals on ONE TEAM are a disaster, and this is a lesson to learn for the New York Yankees. Superstars are nice, but you need to have the right mix of superstars and young guys.....

here's a picture of dr. andrews:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/11/110035/2500084-dr_doom.jpg