PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sport: Top Ten Centers

JasonJohnHorn
10-20-2012, 08:46 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/lists/top-10-centers-dwight-howard-andrew-bynum-marc-gasol-tyson-chandler-092712#tab=photo-title=Dwight+Howard%252C+LA+Lakers&photo=31330453

10. Hibbert
9. Brook Lopez
8. DMC
7. Greg Monroe
6. Al Jefferson
5. Noah
4. Chandler
3. Marc Gasol
2. Bynum
1. Howard

Another interesting list. The were kinder to Monroe and Jefferson than we PSD voters were in our top-ten centers list, and Hibbert, despite getting the nod on the All-Star team this season, barely cracked the top ten. McGee did not make the list, Gortat is also missing from the list, depsite some very impressive numbers last season (he got more blocks rebounds and had a higher FG5 than Monroe, and got just about as many points). Gortat is the one guy I would have put on the list that isn't there, and I don't think Noah would have landed as high on my list. I see also that Fox has ignored Shaq's input and placed Brook Lopez at 9, and NOT 1.

KnicksTape
10-20-2012, 08:49 PM
I don't think cousins would or should be that low -_-

Killerjug
10-20-2012, 08:49 PM
i would maybe drop noah behind jefferson otherwise rather solid list

Guppyfighter
10-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Lopez should not be on the list. Hibbert should be higher and Bogut should take the place of Lopez.

xxplayerxx23
10-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Noah is way too high, Horford should be on the list.

BradHolt4CYoung
10-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Do any teams have their entire starting 5 in these lists? The Nets have 4.

PurpleJesus
10-20-2012, 09:02 PM
PG and SG ones were easy...it gets a lot more difficult when ranking the big men. And regarding DeMarcus Cousins, I dont understand the infatuation with him...he plays in the post, yet shoots a terrible percentage.

Killerjug
10-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Noah is way too high, Horford should be on the list.

ah yes forgot him he should definitely be on here

Stuckey#3
10-20-2012, 09:06 PM
How does Hibbert, a 2011-12 all star selection and arguably the best player on the second best team in the east, #9? That sh1t cra-

Hellcrooner
10-20-2012, 09:19 PM
arguably right.

I miss bogut tough, but he was injured.

asandhu23
10-20-2012, 09:19 PM
In before Cousinevansduo or the other Kings guy...

Ebbs
10-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Noah to high flip him and DMC

albertajaysfan
10-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Gortat needs to have a solid season without Nash before he gets considered elite. McGee needs to put his potential together before he gets on that list.

I would argue however that they are damn close to being included. Horford not being on that list is ridiculous though.

MagicBucsSox
10-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Lmao Cousins averaged same stats bynum

PurpleJesus
10-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Lmao Cousins averaged same stats bynum

But Bynum was much more efficient with his scoring.

Bynum's TS% = .600
Cousins = .491

I think Cousins is extremely talented, but I think he needs to get his shooting percentage up before I would put him in the top ten...top ten talent, not a top ten game.

jmoney85
10-20-2012, 09:46 PM

Bynum's TS% = .600
Cousins = .491

I think Cousins is extremely talented, but I think he needs to get his shooting percentage up before I would put him in the top ten...top ten talent, not a top ten game.

cousins was basically 50%...not that much of a difference

Andrew32
10-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Switch Lopez with Dwight and Chandler with Marc and the list is perfect.

PurpleJesus
10-20-2012, 09:53 PM
cousins was basically 50%...not that much of a difference

Quite a big difference between .491 and .600...

Looking at their FG%, Bynum shoots 56% from the field, and Cousins shoots 45% from the field..

So per 100 shots, Bynum is getting around 22 points more than Cousins...quite a big difference.

fadedmario
10-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Drummond will be top 5 next year. BEAST

PurpleJesus
10-20-2012, 09:56 PM

I loved him going into the draft, as he kept falling, I kept hoping Kahn (Wolves GM), would find a way to trade back into the draft and take him...It unfortunately didnt happen.

Regardless, I am looking forward to following this guys career.

Kyben36
10-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Chandler is way to high and arguably noah as well. Chandler does nothing but play defense and rebound. his only offensive game came from getting dunks from CP3. he isnt that good.

JerseysFinest
10-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Solid overall list, Noah is ranked a bit too high imo.

PurpleJesus
10-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Chandler is way to high and arguably noah as well. Chandler does nothing but play defense and rebound. his only offensive game came from getting dunks from CP3. he isnt that good.

You have to be a great scorer to be good? He is the best defensive center in the league, one of the best offensive rebounders in the league, and he shot a crazy 68% from the field last year. Great defense...and regarding his offense, there is more to offense than just scoring points.

mdm692
10-20-2012, 10:02 PM
No Gortat is a joke. He was one of only 3, count them 1. . .2. . .3, players to average at least 15ppg 10rpg and 1.5bpg. Who are the other 2 you ask? Dwight and Bynum. Im not asking put him at #3 but EASILY he is top 10. In addition all 3 guys on that list finished in the top 6 in FG% for he entire league, Gortat was #6 but still the facts back him up. And don't come at me with this "all because of Nash" ********". Nash had Hakim Warrick, Channing Frye, Robin Lopez, Hedo Turkoglu(although SF) among others playing PF and C but none of them could even sniff those numbers. Yes being spoon fed by Nash is nice but you still have got to finish the play.

fadedmario
10-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I loved him going into the draft, as he kept falling, I kept hoping Kahn (Wolves GM), would find a way to trade back into the draft and take him...It unfortunately didnt happen.

Regardless, I am looking forward to following this guys career.

I cant believe how good he looks. Dumars is a lucky SOB. Some teams that passed on him are going to look like fools. If he doesn't start right away, the Pistons are fools too.

jmoney85
10-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Quite a big difference between .491 and .600...

Looking at their FG%, Bynum shoots 56% from the field, and Cousins shoots 45% from the field..

So per 100 shots, Bynum is getting around 22 points more than Cousins...quite a big difference.

yea nevermind.... cant argue with a 45% FG lol

Hawkeye15
10-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Noah WAY too high, and I don't like Jefferson that high as well, but he is top 10. If he is indeed a center (Utah starts 3 forwards, but I get that a scorecard needs all 5 positions).

jmoney85
10-20-2012, 10:06 PM

well according to PSD thats all you need to do as a center is rebound and play defense

TomahawkChop 10
10-20-2012, 10:06 PM
10. Lopez
9. Cousins
8. Hibbert
7. Monroe
6. Al Jefferson
5. Chandler
4. Horford
3. Noah
2. Bynum
1. Howard

There's your top 10 list

Hawkeye15
10-20-2012, 10:07 PM
PG and SG ones were easy...it gets a lot more difficult when ranking the big men. And regarding DeMarcus Cousins, I dont understand the infatuation with him...he plays in the post, yet shoots a terrible percentage.

Because he is force fed the ball late in clock situations by Sac's design, and takes way too many 17 footers with 2 seconds on the clock. He is for sure a top 10 center.

Seriously, he is asked to take 3-4 attempts a game that are basically saying, "sorry dude, our offense blows, do something to bail us out".

Hawkeye15
10-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I cant believe how good he looks. Dumars is a lucky SOB. Some teams that passed on him are going to look like fools. If he doesn't start right away, the Pistons are fools too.

Is Dumars possibly going to redeem his Darko pick with the last couple of bigs he selected?

I for sure will be watching as many Detroit games as possible to check it out (well, I already do..).

jmoney85
10-20-2012, 10:09 PM

with as much talent as drummond might have... I cant see him going from an OK college player to top 5 nba center in 1 full season

PurpleJesus
10-20-2012, 10:10 PM
well according to PSD thats all you need to do as a center is rebound and play defense

well, when you are the best defensive player in the league for your position, and one of the best offensive rebounders in the game, then you should be ranked pretty high in the positional rankings. His offense by the way, isnt that bad, its just one dimensional, and he takes the easy buckets, rather than forcing hard ones...it helps outweigh Carmelo's atrocious shot selection.

Hawkeye15
10-20-2012, 10:12 PM
well, when you are the best defensive player in the league for your position, and one of the best offensive rebounders in the game, then you should be ranked pretty high in the positional rankings. His offense by the way, isnt that bad, its just one dimensional, and he takes the easy buckets, rather than forcing hard ones...it helps outweigh Carmelo's atrocious shot selection.

Doesn't hurt to lead the league in TS% and Offensive rating, while also being a demon on defending the pick and roll, the paint, isolations, close outs, and also rebounding at an elite level.

You know, being a really good center. Give me a dominant rebounder/defender who needs 6 shots to score 12 points anyday over a 18 ppg scorer who is allergic to rebounding and defense.

TomahawkChop 10
10-20-2012, 10:14 PM
10. Cousins
9. Hibbert
8. Jefferson
7. Chandler
6. Jefferson
5. Gasol
4. Horford
3. Noah
2. Bynum
1. Howard

There's your top 10 list

fadedmario
10-20-2012, 10:16 PM
with as much talent as drummond might have... I cant see him going from an OK college player to top 5 nba center in 1 full season

Lol... I hear ya, wait until you see him play. He can't shoot a free throw for ****, but around the rim - he looks like ****ing Shaq. Sometimes college doesn't translate to the Nba. His main knock was his motor. Watch him play and then get back to me on his motor. This kid should have went #2.

Hawkeye15
10-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Lol... I hear ya, wait until you see him play. He can't shoot a free throw for ****, but around the rim - he looks like ****ing Shaq. Sometimes college doesn't translate to the Nba. His main knock was his motor. Watch him play and then get back to me on his motor. This kid should have went #2.

remember when Monroe's biggest knock was his motor at G-Town? I watched him play, and said, "wtf are they talking about".

PurpleJesus
10-20-2012, 10:19 PM

If the NBA still allowed highschool players to enter the draft, he would have went #1 overall last year (assuming Irving would have entered the draft the previous year as a highschooler). When he went to school, he hurt his draft status...the zone defense that is so popular in college, may have had an impact on his game. I dont think he will be dominating the league for a couple more years, but he will be a rising star until he eventually does become a top 5-10 center in the league.

fadedmario
10-20-2012, 10:26 PM
remember when Monroe's biggest knock was his motor at G-Town? I watched him play, and said, "wtf are they talking about".

Yup. Dumars had both these guys fall in his lap. Stop into the Pistons forum sometime hawkeye. I know you follow us a bit. You know I like Minny too.

fadedmario
10-20-2012, 10:28 PM
If the NBA still allowed highschool players to enter the draft, he would have went #1 overall last year (assuming Irving would have entered the draft the previous year as a highschooler). When he went to school, he hurt his draft status...the zone defense that is so popular in college, may have had an impact on his game. I dont think he will be dominating the league for a couple more years, but he will be a rising star until he eventually does become a top 5-10 center in the league.

I agree bro. He's still raw, but he sure is fun to watch.

jmoney85
10-20-2012, 10:29 PM

ehhh I have no idea what you guys were even talking about lol ... I was just stating a fact about PSD and centers

Hawkeye15
10-20-2012, 10:33 PM
ehhh I have no idea what you guys were even talking about lol ... I was just stating a fact about PSD and centers

I honestly feel bad for Lopez. There are a few posters here who have turned PSD against him and the Nets. I actually like watching the dude, and think if he picks up his rebounding numbers and starts giving consistent effort in getting the **** back in transition and maybe showing on a PnR, he can be a top 5 center easy.

The question is, will he?

Hawkeye15
10-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Yup. Dumars had both these guys fall in his lap. Stop into the Pistons forum sometime hawkeye. I know you follow us a bit. You know I like Minny too.

We took Flynn over Monroe dude. Yes, that reads right.

:facepalm:

minnesotaloyal
10-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Pek is knocking on the top ten...

tp13baby
10-20-2012, 10:39 PM
I think Noah is too high. Hibbert is too low. Where is Horford? I think Hibbert should be 5-6.

tp13baby
10-20-2012, 10:41 PM
As a Nuggets fan. I would take Brook Lopez over Tyson Chandler. I know im a minority though. I like Brook and can't wait to see him be a border line allstar this year.

Fly
10-20-2012, 10:43 PM
As a Nuggets fan. I would take Brook Lopez over Tyson Chandler. I know im a minority though. I like Brook and can't wait to see him be a border line allstar this year.

Tyson's defense is just too good, though.

PurpleJesus
10-20-2012, 10:46 PM

yeah, one full season of him starting will surely put him in the top ten...When he became the Wolves starting center, and played more than 30 minutes per game, he average
19 points
10.5 rebounds
5 offensive rebounds (friggen 5 offensive rebounds!)
55% from the field

Those numbers are absurd.

20 game sample size by the way if anyone is wondering.

Bravo95
10-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Horford's Top 10. Efficient offense, passing, defense, rebounding, runs the floor, etc.

Lake_Show2416
10-20-2012, 10:48 PM
1. Howard
2. Bynum
3. Marc Gasol
4. DMC
5. Al Jefferson
6. Hibbert
7. Horford
8. Chandler
9. Noah
10. Greg Monroe

Honorable mention
11. Brook Lopez

jmoney85
10-20-2012, 10:49 PM
I honestly feel bad for Lopez. There are a few posters here who have turned PSD against him and the Nets. I actually like watching the dude, and think if he picks up his rebounding numbers and starts giving consistent effort in getting the **** back in transition and maybe showing on a PnR, he can be a top 5 center easy.

The question is, will he?

I really think he needs to be taught these things.... obviously he lacks some qualities that will never make him a dwight howard or tyson chandler when it comes to athletic ability but I think earlier in his career they didnt really give a **** because they could care less if they won or lost... especially the frank/vanderweigh era

fadedmario
10-20-2012, 10:50 PM

Flynn's on our team right now.. You were right, he's so bad man. I am shocked at how bad he is. He does nothing well.

JesusWears24
10-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Do any teams have their entire starting 5 in these lists? The Nets have 4.
This...:clap:

Andrew32
10-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Many teams would LOVE to have Chandler.

He is the official Dwight stopper.

Don't undervalue his defense.

He also is more skilled offensively then you'd think.
I've seen him make some very skilled moves on the offensive end before.

Bravo95
10-20-2012, 10:58 PM
1. Howard
2. Bynum
3. Marc
4. Chandler

PurpleJesus
10-20-2012, 11:07 PM
For about a decade now, the center position in the NBA has been considered very weak...what this list shows me, is that is about to change, or may have already. Everyone on that list except Tyson Chandler, are still just in there 20's. Then, some good centers who are also in their 20's that didnt make the list, include the likes of Nikola Pekovic, Al Horford, and Marcin Gortat...and all of a sudden, the C position doesnt seem so weak anymore.

BigEric
10-20-2012, 11:19 PM
I am a Kings fan but I really don't get why we nitpick and attack Cousins?

Ok obviously he shot a bad %, that negates his other stats? Does Brook Lopez 2 rpg negate his? No. Does Dwights low FT% negate his? No. Chandler because his offensive game is and always be just dunking? No.

Cousins didn't take the best shots which led to his poor %, these things are fixable. I have no problem with the list, besides Noah being a tad too high. Hibberts too low. Roy is a beast.

PacersForLife
10-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Call me a homer, but Hibbert is too low.

PurpleJesus
10-20-2012, 11:28 PM

Ok obviously he shot a bad %, that negates his other stats? Does Brook Lopez 2 rpg negate his? No. Does Dwights low FT% negate his? No. Chandler because his offensive game is and always be just dunking? No.

Cousins didn't take the best shots which led to his poor %, these things are fixable. I have no problem with the list, besides Noah being a tad too high. Hibberts too low. Roy is a beast.

yeah, but they arent fixed yet, which is why I consider him a top ten talent, but not a top ten center.

Greedy22
10-20-2012, 11:44 PM

Pretty sure Flynn was 09 draft and Monroe was 10, I remember thinking the wolves would get Curry that year :facepalm:

yankeefan54
10-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Brook lopez is so terrible in nba 2k13.

Chill_Will_24
10-21-2012, 02:06 AM

I think Pek should be up there already

Chill_Will_24
10-21-2012, 02:08 AM

As a Nets fan you are wrong lol I love Brook but i would gladly take what Chandler brings over what Lopez brings

Chill_Will_24
10-21-2012, 02:09 AM
I really think he needs to be taught these things.... obviously he lacks some qualities that will never make him a dwight howard or tyson chandler when it comes to athletic ability but I think earlier in his career they didnt really give a **** because they could care less if they won or lost... especially the frank/vanderweigh era

That is a good point.

Does little to change the fact that he lacks the physical tools to improve much

Chill_Will_24
10-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Call me a homer, but Hibbert is too low.

You're a homer :D

Pakman
10-21-2012, 02:18 AM
Andrew32 is the official laker hater. Get a new hobby.

Raph12
10-21-2012, 02:19 AM
IMO, when healthy:

1. Dwight
2. Bynum
3. Bogut
4. MGasol
5. Big Al
6-10. Monroe
6-10. DMC
6-10. Hibbert
6-10. BLopez
6-10. Chandler

Phenomenonsense
10-21-2012, 03:05 AM
IMO, when healthy:

1. Dwight
2. Bynum
3. Bogut
4. MGasol
5. Big Al
6-10. Monroe
6-10. DMC
6-10. Hibbert
6-10. BLopez
6-10. Chandler

I'd switch Bogut and Gasol, but this is roughly the best list.

Evolution23
10-21-2012, 03:13 AM
Al Horford any one?

Phenomenonsense
10-21-2012, 03:16 AM
Al Horford any one?

I consider him a PF myself.

Evolution23
10-21-2012, 03:16 AM
How does the reigning defensive player of the year not crack the top 5? I get the fact that he lacks offensive ability, but his defense is so great, that it makes up for his lack of offense.

Evolution23
10-21-2012, 03:17 AM
I consider him a PF myself.

He has shown that he can play Center and he does it well. He can score in the post and he plays incredible defense.

MagicBucsSox
10-21-2012, 10:52 AM

Bynum's TS% = .600
Cousins = .491

Efficiency for Bynum is playing with Kobe Gasol

Who takes pressure off Cousins? Nobody

MagicBucsSox
10-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Howard
Horford
Cousins
Bynum
Gasol
Lopez
Noah
Bogut
Chandler

M.Bibby2.0
10-21-2012, 11:12 AM

What's concerning is that Cousins actually has a pretty bad % at the rim (usually a good shot), a lot of his offensive boards come off of his own misses. I'm not saying the system doesn't carry some blame for putting him in that position but he also needs to improve his own efficiency. He also fouls a lot and turns the ball over.

That being said I don't think he gets enough credit for his defense, he gets over a steal and a block per game, and led the league in charges drawn last year.

But he has all the tools to crack the top 3.

Horford should be on this list, maybe he was snubbed because games missed last season? Then again Lopez was pretty much in the same boat...

Baller1
10-21-2012, 11:46 AM
No Gortat is a joke, in my opinion.

Baller1
10-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Efficiency for Bynum is playing with Kobe Gasol

Who takes pressure off Cousins? Nobody

That doesn't excuse him for having a horrible ts%.

chi-townlove1
10-21-2012, 12:21 PM
The bulls hate is just outrageous now a days. All you see is Noah is too high. No reasons. Just the same posters that talk out of their *** every day because they love to degrade him. Noah is fine at 5. Get over it. Name me 3 centers that play better defense than him. Hustle more than him. Pass as well as him. And do all the intangibles that he does. Yeah scoring is an iffy with him, but is that all that matters to you people?

Nick O
10-21-2012, 12:24 PM
loooool Noah a top 5 !! ahahahahah ya right,,..

waveycrockett
10-21-2012, 12:26 PM
The bulls hate is just outrageous now a days. All you see is Noah is too high. No reasons. Just the same posters that talk out of their *** every day because they love to degrade him. Noah is fine at 5. Get over it. Name me 3 centers that play better defense than him. Hustle more than him. Pass as well as him. And do all the intangibles that he does. Yeah scoring is an iffy with him, but is that all that matters to you people?

Noah is the same player as Anderson Varajeo he just gets a ton more hype. And I like Noah but Bulls fans overrate him like crazy.

Nick O
10-21-2012, 12:26 PM

his defense is overated... his game consists of him screaming like a tool, using his huge *** to rebound, looking like a dead animal and missing easy baskets... he's not that good...

Daunter
10-21-2012, 01:49 PM
I would take Jefferson over Noah the guy is the best post player in the league imo

KnicksR4Real
10-21-2012, 02:04 PM
pretty solid to me

ugafan
10-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Al Horford is better than a lot of these guys.