PDA

View Full Version : Do players care about public perception?

Chronz
10-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Thread inspired from this snippet from a Grantland article on Antawn.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8514767/examining-career-antawn-jamison-unc-nba

A great athlete creates two legacies: the one owned by the public and the one that flickers in his own mind. The first inevitably bleeds into the second. Antawn Jamison is chasing a championship in his twilight years because he does not want to be defined by individual accomplishment and team disappointment, two concepts created by those of us who do not play the game, the same people who will turn around and dismiss him as "a big-time scorer on a bad team," who will later reclassify his late-career championship as "Dwight's championship," and who might cordon off his legacy to only those things that happened in Chapel Hill.

The athlete never wins when he engages with these abstract achievements. He has no control over his public narrative, and the more we, the jury, watch him try to become memorable, the quicker we cast him off into our mean, little dungeons
Antawn:
"Man, I deserve it. I want one bad. I envision it all. I envision holding that trophy up, I envision going to that parade, I envision getting that ring. It's the only thing that keeps me motivated, having my name associated with a champion. I just deserve it."

Do you think players care about how they are remembered? Antawn is an interesting case study because he had so many paths he could have gone.

He came into the league putting up numbers on bad teams then Dallas saved him and made him the 6th Man of the year. He was finally on a contending team only to ask to be traded so he could become a full time starter again. And is now embracing another 6TH man role. Why the constant changing of priorities?

Ebbs
10-20-2012, 04:49 PM
I think most players care yea. Especially as the years go by, they get paid, live the good life and realize after they're done playing than what? I think it starts to sink in years 8+ on like oh I'm halfway if not more in my career what have I achieved, what legacy am I leaving.

Zefflin
10-20-2012, 05:08 PM
I really really, really like Twan, always have. I was even jealous when he went to bron...

Evolution23
10-20-2012, 05:20 PM
I think most players do care about their image, but some players just don't make the right decisions.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-20-2012, 05:28 PM
I made the Ray Allen thread, Chronz gets annoyed and wants to be the Heat apologist on PSD (like always), and makes a thread purposely of a Laker by the name of Antawn Jamison.

Chronz, I give you ammo and ideas for basically half of the threads you create on PSD.

You're Welcome.

Ebbs
10-20-2012, 05:29 PM
You're delusional^.

abe_froman
10-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Thread inspired from this snippet from a Grantland article on Antawn.

Antawn:
"Man, I deserve it. I want one bad. I envision it all. I envision holding that trophy up, I envision going to that parade, I envision getting that ring. It's the only thing that keeps me motivated, having my name associated with a champion. I just deserve it."

Do you think players care about how they are remembered? Antawn is an interesting case study because he had so many paths he could have gone.

He came into the league putting up numbers on bad teams then Dallas saved him and made him the 6th Man of the year. He was finally on a contending team only to ask to be traded so he could become a full time starter again. And is now embracing another 6TH man role. Why the constant changing of priorities?
because he's ring chasing,really your smart enough to know that.i know your better than to ask such questions and i know that you know that players care about perception.

someone like lebron did it because of that,his handlers miscalculated the backlash but he knew he needed a ring to be remembered/thought of better

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-20-2012, 05:38 PM
because he's ring chasing,really your smart enough to know that.i know your better than to ask such questions and i know that you know that players care about perception.

someone like lebron did it because of that,his handlers miscalculated the backlash but he knew he needed a ring to be remembered/thought of better

Of course Chronz the "PSD veteran" knows this, but he'll still make a thread like this because he felt bad about my Ray Allen thread and some of the points I made (you'll note that he dissected my post in that thread and only responded to me and no one else).

A poster like me is a nightmare for Chronz. I'm his kryptonite. :)

HesterJordan23
10-20-2012, 05:45 PM
yes and no

Chronz
10-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I made the Ray Allen thread, Chronz gets annoyed and wants to be the Heat apologist on PSD (like always), and makes a thread purposely of a Laker by the name of Antawn Jamison.

Chronz, I give you ammo and ideas for basically half of the threads you create on PSD.

You're Welcome.
How does talking about Antawn make anyone a Heat apologist? I think you grossly overrate that percentage, but you have churned a few ideas out of me, this aint one of them.

Why not ring chase earlier in his career? I was actually going to make this thread about whether society would value a 6th man of the year/champion more highly than a high scorer on mediocre teams. Thats basically the decision Antawn was dealing with a few times in his career.

I thought about it, is Bron doing it because he wants to win or because athletes today have the need to live up to prior successes and have to win at all cost. Him wanting to be in their company is the same thing as worrying about what the public says.

Seems like no matter what you can argue the player won/loss.

Chronz
10-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Of course Chronz the "PSD veteran" knows this, but he'll still make a thread like this because he felt bad about my Ray Allen thread and some of the points I made (you'll note that he dissected my post in that thread and only responded to me and no one else).

A poster like me is a nightmare for Chronz. I'm his kryptonite. :)

Literally nothing you said was true.

I responded to Corey in that same thread with a pro-Celtic comment. Yet Im a Heat apologist? No I just see both sides of the fence and the reason I quoted you was because I found it interesting that you diminished his prophetic claims as "BS".

envymamba24
10-20-2012, 06:17 PM
some of you guys should get off your high horse. you're no more intelligent than any of the rest of us. that being said, some of your are very humble and actually keep me returning to this site

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-20-2012, 06:19 PM
some of you guys should get off your high horse. you're no more intelligent than any of the rest of us. that being said, some of your are very humble and actually keep me returning to this site

I like to clown, I don't even take myself seriously sometimes. :laugh2:

IndyRealist
10-20-2012, 10:26 PM
I like Jamison, and he spent the prime of his career being loyal to a bad, poorly run team. Your top tier guys go into the NBA thinking they're going to get ring after ring, only to find out that there's so many things out of your control, and everything has to break just right for you to even have a shot at one. I don't think it's a question of public image, it has to do with his own self image. He's accomplished everything else he's wanted to do. What else is there to motivate a 30-something athlete who can't get much more than the vet's minimum now?

bal_ravens
10-20-2012, 10:44 PM
I miss Jamison. He is the only reason I want the Lakers to win this year. Put up solid numbers in Washington, goes to Cleveland and still puts up solid numbers when healthy, yet "Lebron had no help".

Chronz
10-20-2012, 11:14 PM
I miss Jamison. He is the only reason I want the Lakers to win this year. Put up solid numbers in Washington, goes to Cleveland and still puts up solid numbers when healthy, yet "Lebron had no help".

Lets not overrate him now. He was abused by KG in the playoffs and his production was average. Its not all his fault, Browns ineptitude hurt him on the defensive end.

Sadds The Gr8
10-20-2012, 11:48 PM
I like to clown, I don't even take myself seriously sometimes. :laugh2:

i dont ever...