PDA

View Full Version : Fringe All Star or Fan favorite in for a losing team?

Ebbs
10-20-2012, 12:38 AM
If your team was sucky and lottery bound let's say a projected top 5 pick. Would you rather keep your best player, a fringe all star; the guy I have in mind is Iggy who would make you a little better but would not be the difference in a post season appearance. Or would you rather trade him for someone who would put fans in the stands? A guy who could play maybe a veteran near the end of his career that was hanging on but would sell tickets, jerseys etc. . . (Thinking like a Orlando Magic Vince Carter?)

EDIT: Both players would be free agents after the season that you may or may not be able to retain.

Chronz
10-20-2012, 12:41 AM
If I was Iggy, I would be insulted by the title you have bestowed upon me. Fringe All-Star? I swear this guy is really underrated.

But to answer your Q, I would take the better asset. Iggy can nab me a guy like Bynum, whereas Vince will fetch me Hedo.

Sadds The Gr8
10-20-2012, 12:44 AM
I think he's a fringe all-star...he doesn't have a chance to make the West team this year imo.

I would rather keep him to answer the OP's question though.

b@llhog24
10-20-2012, 12:44 AM
If your team was sucky and lottery bound let's say a projected top 5 pick. Would you rather keep your best player, a fringe all star; the guy I have in mind is Iggy who would make you a little better but would not be the difference in a post season appearance. Or would you rather trade him for someone who would put fans in the stands? A guy who could play maybe a veteran near the end of his career that was hanging on but would sell tickets, jerseys etc. . . (Thinking like a Orlando Magic Vince Carter?)

EDIT: Both players would be free agents after the season that you may or may not be able to retain.

The thing about that is, I would actually like to keep Iggy to pair him with the future top 5 pick. Vince Carter on the other hand? Not so much.

seikou8
10-20-2012, 12:45 AM
iggy=beast carter=bald

Ebbs
10-20-2012, 12:46 AM
If I was Iggy, I would be insulted by the title you have bestowed upon me. Fringe All-Star? I swear this guy is really underrated.

But to answer your Q, I would take the better asset. Iggy can nab me a guy like Bynum, whereas Vince will fetch me Hedo.

Chronz he has 1 all star appearance. And he won't make it over Durant/Dirk/Love/Pau/Aldridge/Gay etc. .. this year who are more popular.

I think he's a fringe all-star...he doesn't have a chance to make the West team this year imo.

I think it was fair. He is a debatable all star talent but he has only made the team once.

The thing about that is, I would actually like to keep Iggy to pair him with the future top 5 pick. Vince Carter on the other hand? Not so much.

Yea but paying a guy a big contract while your team sucks and forcing your lotto odds down is a negative to a rebuilding teams.,

b@llhog24
10-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Yea but paying a guy a big contract while your team sucks and forcing your lotto odds down is a negative to a rebuilding teams.,

I'm more of an on court chemistry guy rather than a salary person, so it wouldn't really bother me. Plus a guy like Iggy should theoretically be able to put butts in the seats. I can't imagine Vince being a bigger draw than Iggy now. As for the second part, aren't we guaranteed a top 5 pick in the scenario or am I reading this wrong?

Sadds The Gr8
10-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Chronz he has 1 all star appearance. And he won't make it over Durant/Dirk/Love/Pau/Aldridge/Gay etc. .. this year who are more popular.

I think he'll be listed as a guard since Gallo will be the Forward, but even so, Parker, Nash, Kobe, Westbrook, CP3

I think it was fair. He is a debatable all star talent but he has only made the team once.

yea I agree

Ebbs
10-20-2012, 12:52 AM
I'm more of an on court chemistry guy rather than a salary person, so it wouldn't really bother me. Plus a guy like Iggy should theoretically be able to put butts in the seats. I can't imagine Vince being a bigger draw than Iggy now. As for the second part, aren't we guaranteed a top 5 pick in the scenario or am I reading this wrong?

Yea but this isn't Vince now. This a capable 20 point scorer Vince who still had some hops.

Chronz
10-20-2012, 03:16 AM

I dont base whos an All-Star by them making the team. Otherwise I wouldn't have considered Deron Williams an All-Star all those years he was missing the cut.

DreamShaker
10-20-2012, 03:49 AM
The Rockets accidently are in that situation, sorta. They traded Lowery and got Lin. Lin brings interest to the team KL never could, but is not the better player. Ownership obviously wants the sideshow. The draw. Kevin Martin, Scola, and the PG platoon spelled mediocrity and apathy. Lin brings jersey/merch sales, international marketing, and a face to put on billboards. That stuff is important. After Yao retired, nobody really cared about us. That's why they were willing to gut the team for Howard and overpaid for Linsanity, who is worse than Lowery AND Dragic. My opinion as a fan: mixed emotions. I loved Linsanity, but know he is a band-aid for a botched offseason. Im actually much more excited about the 4 rookies that were supposed to be Howard-bait, but might actually be good. I guess potential is more exciting than assured mediocrity.

Ebbs
10-20-2012, 05:16 AM
The rockets example is a good one. I would take Lin over Lowry for the marketing if I knew I couldn't compete.z

jbelmar4
10-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Yeah iggy is a fringe all star, idk he could make the all star team as a member of the nuggets at least, if he were on a weaker team he would've been the leading scorer and possibly make it, but in the west you can't make an all star team with just 15ppg like you can in the east

John Walls Era
10-20-2012, 08:39 AM
The rockets example is a good one. I would take Lin over Lowry for the marketing if I knew I couldn't compete.z

They couldn't compete WITH Lowry.

sixer04fan
10-20-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm sorry. Did someone actually make a thread debating if a team would rather have Iggy or Vince Carter?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Ebbs
10-20-2012, 01:17 PM
The premise of the thread flew right over your head. That's ok though.^