PDA

View Full Version : How I would think they would rig the NBA.

futureman
10-19-2012, 02:07 PM
If the NBA is rigged this is how I think that they do it. First off, they would want to maximize profit, David Sterns dream would be to see a sellout crowd for everygame. He would also want to havethe team with the largest fanbase win the championship as often as possible as long as they can make it believeable. The league didn't start out rigged but it became that way.

I think Lebron to LA is a done deal. They will be rebuilding in two years after kobe is gone and they can't afford to have a losing season it would mean losing too much money. They are beginning to hype it up. They would not spend so much time hyping it if it weren't going to happen.

These are the ways they control the outcome of the game in my opinion.

They predetermined which teams will have the top 3 selections in the draft. Look for the teams who lost the biggest star during the regular season to get the top pick. It has happened for the last 2 years. Orlando will get the 1st pick this year. There is no proof at all that an actual lottery takes place. They talk about it but they don't let cameras in the room when this happens. If a team like New orleans who lost the biggest star last year didin't get in the top 3 than nobody would come to their games. Its all about attendence. If another team like the Jazz who lost D-will who wasn't as good as Lebron, look for them to get in the top 3 as well. Are they going to really leave that up to chance with a n actual lottery? No way.

They declare players like Kawani Leonard, Harrison Barnes, Klay Thompson,Brook Lopez, Roy Hibbert, Kenneth Faried, Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone, and Perry Jones off limits to teams who should 've picked them long before and pick out their destinations for them. Perry Jones was a top 3 projected pick last year. there is no way in hell that he would slip down to 28. And look who picked him. Same with Kobe who shouldve gone long before 13. They told charlotte to pick him and trade him so it would look more real. This will backfire on them if the guy turns out to be a bust. I'm sure they are not the only ones and i'm sure it has failed before. You aren't any good if you can't score but more on that later. If no team has lost a superstar, it will probably go to the team that has the lowest attendance. Teams may end up getting somebody good unexpectatly like Darren Collison or Wesley Matthews, they will be on another team the next year if they don't fit into the leagues plans for that particular team.

The league absolutley 100% controls free agency. James Harden will be in phoenix next year. That is the reason why they gave the thunder perry jones. they still want the thunder to be good but they also want to sell tickets in phoenix. James Harden will do that for them. No player is really free to choose his destination. David Stern does that for them and he probably determines how much money they will be paid.

If they want a guy like Dwight Howard and CP3 off their teams, they start with the media reports that they are "disgruntled" and build up their departure from there so they can get the fanbase in those cities to want them gone. It's all a psyop.

The only time they would rig an actual game is if the team involved is the team they have picked to win a championship. But in order to make the stars on teams look good the players are probably instructed before hand to let a certain player score 45 on them. They will also instruct them to not play defense against them or look like they are playing defense against them. After the player scores 45, they may say they can play for real and try to win the game. I don't believe the games themselves are rigged in most cases but the amount of points they want to allow the opposing teams star players is. The playoffs are a different story where everygame is rigged. Of course they may have a talent player that the league wants to score big numbers so they can sell that teams fanbase but they can't score for some reason. The league can't controll that and i'm sure that has happened in the past. Adam Morrison John Wall, and Kwame Brown being a good example.

I have a theory as to why they moved the team out of seattle. They wanted a big Arena true, but why would they move from a big market to such a small market willingly? The league promised clay bennett even though he is from OKC. that if he moved the team there that they will let them have real good players in the draft and that they will have a finals appearance and maybe even more. But I would also think that the owners maybe frontmen appointed by the league and it's the league itself who is the true owner of each team.

The only reason the spurs win the championship even though they are the smallest market out there, is because they need to build the illusion that the game is fair and even the smallest market has a chance.

This is my theory on how they would rig the NBA. What would yours be?

Raps18-19 Champ
10-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Lolololol at people thinking the NBA is rigged.

DanG
10-19-2012, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't be so sure that Kobe will be gone in 2014 ;)

futureman
10-19-2012, 02:11 PM
I didn't say the NBA was rigged. I am saying how if it was rigged, how they would go about doing it.

koreancabbage
10-19-2012, 02:13 PM
the way the NBA would make money is if there is parity amongst all teams.

joeystats
10-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Um..... wow

futureman
10-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Again this is just my own personal theory. I don't even believe it. I just was thinking of how if the NBA was rigged and how they would do it without anybody even knowing it or a large majority from knowing it.

jmaest
10-19-2012, 02:21 PM
A couple of thoughts...to think the NBA, or all sports in general, are not "rigged" somewhere would be ignorant.

It's not a conspiracy theory, by the way, nor am I one of those who believes in conspiracies.

Having said that, there's ample evidence of "fishy" happenings in the NBA over the years. The Ewing draft, the Chris Paul trade, the shift to "superstar" calls on the court, this year's NBA draft, etc...

It's kind of hard to say that all of that, and more, is just a coincidence. Other than the Chris Paul trade none of those things have lead to a pre-determined outcome--but they've all definitely helped push things in 1 direction or another. And that is the very definition of "rigging".

Do I think Lebron will wind up in LA? Absolutely not. If that was the case, then CP3 would have wound up a Laker from jump.

BUT am I naive enough to think that some level of tampering isn't going on constantly? Of course not. There's a reason the NBA has that stigma and it's well deserved, IMO.

ThunderousDemon
10-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Conspiracy theorists. :laugh:

jon32
10-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Andrew Wiggins to Raptors then if its rigged ?

futureman
10-19-2012, 02:36 PM
A couple of thoughts...to think the NBA, or all sports in general, are not "rigged" somewhere would be ignorant.

It's not a conspiracy theory, by the way, nor am I one of those who believes in conspiracies.

Having said that, there's ample evidence of "fishy" happenings in the NBA over the years. The Ewing draft, the Chris Paul trade, the shift to "superstar" calls on the court, this year's NBA draft, etc...

It's kind of hard to say that all of that, and more, is just a coincidence. Other than the Chris Paul trade none of those things have lead to a pre-determined outcome--but they've all definitely helped push things in 1 direction or another. And that is the very definition of "rigging".

Do I think Lebron will wind up in LA? Absolutely not. If that was the case, then CP3 would have wound up a Laker from jump.

BUT am I naive enough to think that some level of tampering isn't going on constantly? Of course not. There's a reason the NBA has that stigma and it's well deserved, IMO.

With the Donaghy thing of course. I believe it didn't end with him. He was just the one that got caught.

jmaest
10-19-2012, 02:37 PM
I would love someone to defend atrocious officiating across the board for YEARS, the CP3 trade coupled with the Draft, and the fact that Brooke Lopez is still in the NBA if there's no tampering!!!

(couldn't resist the Brooke Lopez thing! :D)

jmaest
10-19-2012, 02:38 PM
With the Donaghy thing of course. I believe it didn't end with him. He was just the one that got caught.

Right. I didn't even go there but of course officiating is susceptible to tampering. To think "rigging" doesn't happen in professional sports is to be naive...

Dade County
10-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Yes... The league is 100% rigged.

Me and the OP might see it a little differently, in how they do what they do, but the outcome is the same.

Some Super star players and refs are in on it. I really don't no how fan basses of some teams can stand to watch the NBA, I'm born in Dade County so all south Florida teams are mine to cheer for.... So I am a fan of a team, that the higher ups have given the league too, so of course I am happy.

But what Lbj did in the Finals against Dallas is unforgivable.

Dade County
10-19-2012, 02:55 PM
double post...

C-Wick925
10-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Yes... The league is 100% rigged.

Me and the OP might see it a little differently, in how they do what they do, but the outcome is the same.

Some Super star players and refs are in on it. I really don't no how fan basses of some teams can stand to watch the NBA, I'm born in Dade County so all south Florida teams are mine to cheer for.... So I am a fan of a team, that the higher ups have given the league too, so of course I am happy.

But what Lbj did in the Finals against Dallas is unforgivable.

Yessir.... I quit watching basketball once i was old enough to realize this... Makes all the good times i enjoyed when i was younger seem alot less exciting..

superkegger
10-19-2012, 03:11 PM
The problem with things being rigged, is you have 30 owners who all want to make as much money as possible, but in most cases also want to win. Some will spend more to make that winning happen, but by and large the rigged theory is hard to support because then all the teams on the wrong side of it would have be getting paid off massively. Too much ego and money for there to be large scale rigging going on.

Slug3
10-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Again this is just my own personal theory. I don't even believe it. I just was thinking of how if the NBA was rigged and how they would do it without anybody even knowing it or a large majority from knowing it.

I am not even sure what to take from this. This is your theory but you don't believe it.

topdog
10-19-2012, 03:33 PM
I didn't say the NBA was rigged. I am saying how if it was rigged, how they would go about doing it.

The end of your first paragraph was:

The league didn't start out rigged but it became that way.

It's kind of hard to get into a mindset of "what if" or to think you don't believe the NBA is rigged when you have a line like that followed by "I believe LBJ to LA is a done deal."

Chill_Will_24
10-19-2012, 03:42 PM
I will admit to being a conspiracy theorist. Particularly when it comes to the draft. I mean Rose to CHI and Davis wearing that New Orleans hat weeks before the draft while the NBA was trying to find an owner for the franchise were clear flags.

As far as the actual games i do not think the league favors any team in particular for the title. No matter who would have won in the OKC-MIA Finals, the league would have profited greatly. I do think that the NBA likes to have its most marketable players in the playoffs as long as possible because the revenue generated by guys like Wade, Lebron, Durant, Westbrook etc. is insane.

I think that during the regular season the refs DO give star players the call more often than not only because it keeps them marketable. Casual fans read box scores. So having a guy like Wade read 28pts is enough for them. They do not care if most of that was via undeserved calls

However like i said i do not think the league cares one way or the other who actually wins the title as long as they generate as much revenue as possible by influencing the game in ways that allow their stars more exposure.

I agree with the OP about them influencing the draft but as for the Free Agency thing ehhh... The league could very well have Harden end up Chicago with Rose and Gibson and just give the Suns a high pick. I do not think the league influences Free Agency at all.

IndyRealist
10-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Is it really easier to believe the draft is rigged than to believe execs are just bad at drafting?

Chill_Will_24
10-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Stay consistent. Don't worry about being liked on here. If this is your theory don't come out talking about you do not believe it. Conspiracy theorists generally get looked down on in sports forums mostly because fans love the game so much the do not want to believe that their team is not in control of their own success. Its natural to want to reject any notion that prevents you from enjoying the sport you love.

So do not feel bad about your theories even if people mock you for it. I personally agree that the NBA is a very corrupt business. I do not agree with all your points but do agree with some.

Chill_Will_24
10-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Is it really easier to believe the draft is rigged than to believe execs are just bad at drafting?

It's both. Let's not act like the Spurs have the league on their side and that is why they always draft so well with crap picks. The Spurs are one of if not THE most well run organization in all of sports.

They are excellent at everything they do.

BIG worm
10-19-2012, 03:59 PM
i do believe the nba is rigged to a degree. theres just way too much money involved for the nba not to want to steer things in certain directions for monetary reasons. i mean ewing to ny, hometown boy lebron to the cavs, hometown boy rose to the bulls, davis to the hornets.....all the outrageous officiating and phantom calls that go on...i mean come on now.

P Harvy
10-19-2012, 04:02 PM

you specifically said "the league didn't start out rigged but it became that way"

seems to me you think the league is rigged

ChiTownPacerFan
10-19-2012, 04:09 PM
the way the NBA would make money is if there is parity amongst all teams.

Right, because the ad revenue from a Minnesota-Indiana finals would be the same as a Chicago-LA finals.

JNA17
10-19-2012, 04:20 PM
The NBA is rigged. I mean let's be honest, every year its the same thing with the officiating, only it's been getting worse and worse year by year. No sane person thats a ref in a sport are THIS bad every year.

The NFL and MLB are not great refs either, but most of the time, they at least don't determine the outcome of games as much as the refs do in the NBA. Add to the fact that David Stern is probably the most evil commish in sports history.

TyrionLannister
10-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Whether or not it actually is rigged, it is a lot more fun to have all these conspiracy theories fly around, no?

KrunchyGoodness
10-19-2012, 04:35 PM
It may be rigged but it probably isn't as big of a conspiracy as you think. It would be next to impossible to rig it at the player level. Someone would speak out. The players probably aren't playing any different, and they probably aren't told which team to sign with in free agency. That is all explainable in economics or psychological/basketball terms. If there is a conspiracy, it is much smaller. The only people in on it are the league office and some or all of the owners. The things that they are rigging are the draft and trades. I have a feeling that the Buss family isn't in on it (surprising I know) because of the rejected CP3 trade. I think that the league must have pre-planned he was going to the Clippers or another team, but someone forgot to tell the Hornets management.

There is probably a small ring of refs that is rigging games, but this may be a gambling ring and not related to the league conspiracy. I don't think they would risk letting so many people in on the conspiracy.

topdog
10-19-2012, 04:59 PM
I will admit to being a conspiracy theorist. Particularly when it comes to the draft. I mean Rose to CHI and Davis wearing that New Orleans hat weeks before the draft while the NBA was trying to find an owner for the franchise were clear flags.

As far as the actual games i do not think the league favors any team in particular for the title. No matter who would have won in the OKC-MIA Finals, the league would have profited greatly. I do think that the NBA likes to have its most marketable players in the playoffs as long as possible because the revenue generated by guys like Wade, Lebron, Durant, Westbrook etc. is insane.

I think that during the regular season the refs DO give star players the call more often than not only because it keeps them marketable. Casual fans read box scores. So having a guy like Wade read 28pts is enough for them. They do not care if most of that was via undeserved calls

However like i said i do not think the league cares one way or the other who actually wins the title as long as they generate as much revenue as possible by influencing the game in ways that allow their stars more exposure.

I agree with the OP about them influencing the draft but as for the Free Agency thing ehhh... The league could very well have Harden end up Chicago with Rose and Gibson and just give the Suns a high pick. I do not think the league influences Free Agency at all.

I will admit to being a draft conspiracy theorist. People can look back and see that I called Davis to NOLA.

Durant and Oden to Seattle and Portland seemed to be a response to other teams clearly tanking.

Rose goes to his hometown.

Washington gets sold and gets the #1 pick.

Cleveland wins the lottery after losing Lebron.

New Orleans gets sold and gets the #1 pick.

People suggest that other storylines could be made by conspiracy theorists if someone else had gotten the first pick. I don't buy it as the last few I have been able to anticipate ahead of time (before I didn't pay attention).

Chill_Will_24
10-19-2012, 05:32 PM
I will admit to being a draft conspiracy theorist. People can look back and see that I called Davis to NOLA.

Durant and Oden to Seattle and Portland seemed to be a response to other teams clearly tanking.

Rose goes to his hometown.

Washington gets sold and gets the #1 pick.

Cleveland wins the lottery after losing Lebron.

New Orleans gets sold and gets the #1 pick.

People suggest that other storylines could be made by conspiracy theorists if someone else had gotten the first pick. I don't buy it as the last few I have been able to anticipate ahead of time (before I didn't pay attention).

Eh that is David Stern's advantage. No matter who wins the lottery a case could be made that he wanted that team to win it.

Last year for example you had Brooklyn moving to a new arena. If they had won it they could have spun it as Stern wanting Brooklyn to be a success.

I am sure similar stories could be spun in favor of any team winning the rigged lottery so it didn't matter who won it, Stern was not going to be questioned.

The whole "Davis wearing the Hornets hat days before the lottery" situation seemed strange to me though and an obvious giveaway. That is the kind of thing they DO NOT want happening if they want the benefit of the doubt.

RLundi
10-19-2012, 05:34 PM
The NBA is rigged but not any of the other sports?

:rolleyes:

Hellcrooner
10-19-2012, 05:39 PM
after all the **** bout Lance Armstrong is comin to the public lite, i wouldnt bet on any sport on not being rigged.

Vampirate
10-19-2012, 05:44 PM
The NBA is rigged but not any of the other sports?

:rolleyes:

I would instead say tainted instead of rigged.

NBA, tainted because of the perception of it being rigged.

MLB it's PEDs

RLundi
10-19-2012, 05:54 PM
I would instead say tainted instead of rigged.

NBA, tainted because of the perception of it being rigged.

MLB it's PEDs

I just think it's silly how comical certain cynical individuals are with their relentless assertions. It's so easy to take any point or situation and apply a 'rigged' moniker to it.

"LeBron sucked in the Finals because the NBA rigged it!"

"The Hornets got the first pick in the draft because Stern rigged it!"

"Reggie Evans grabbed Kaman's balls because the league rigged it!"

I mean seriously, shut up already and stop living in a world of fantasy. The conspiracy theorists could have easily said that the league wanted LeBron to follow through on his "not 1, not 2" statement if the Heat would have won instead of Dallas. Or that Stern was trying to build up basketball in Brooklyn had the Nets won it. I'm not really sure about Kaman's balls though. What I am sure is that people who are over-thinking something as mindless as sports honestly need to get a life and just enjoy the damn game already.

The end.

Chill_Will_24
10-19-2012, 06:01 PM
I just think it's silly how comical certain cynical individuals are with their relentless assertions. It's so easy to take any point or situation and apply a 'rigged' moniker to it.

I mean seriously, shut up already and stop living in a world of fantasy. The conspiracy theorists could have easily said that the league wanted LeBron to follow through on his "not 1, not 2" statement if the Heat would have won instead of Dallas. Or that Stern was trying to build up basketball in Brooklyn had the Nets won it. I'm not really sure about Kaman's balls though. What I am sure is that people who are over-thinking something as mindless as sports honestly need to get a life and just enjoy the damn game already.

The end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMAnCgjeZ4Q

You're like the kid that refuses to believe that Santa is not real.

topdog
10-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Eh that is David Stern's advantage. No matter who wins the lottery a case could be made that he wanted that team to win it.

Last year for example you had Brooklyn moving to a new arena. If they had won it they could have spun it as Stern wanting Brooklyn to be a success.

I am sure similar stories could be spun in favor of any team winning the rigged lottery so it didn't matter who won it, Stern was not going to be questioned.

The whole "Davis wearing the Hornets hat days before the lottery" situation seemed strange to me though and an obvious giveaway. That is the kind of thing they DO NOT want happening if they want the benefit of the doubt.

Just the same, the hat could have been a coincidence. The NCAA Finals were played in NOLA so he could've just picked one up. Who knows?

It's so hard to prove, but I think it's a great reason to either have the lottery live or to replace it.

I just think a lot of the alternate theories people want to say could have been used are invalid. The Nets were moving to Brooklyn for the last decade it seems so what year would they get it? Picks going to new owners seem as though they could be part of negotiations. Hometown talent drives interest in sales in those markets in a way it wouldn't in others and when teams are obviously tanking, you don't want to support it.

Chronz
10-19-2012, 06:46 PM
I would find some dirt or threaten anyone with any semblance of power. Thats the main problem, you have several hundred workers that you have to find some way of shutting up.

Chronz
10-19-2012, 06:53 PM

How do you buy out a firm and keep all the visitors under wraps? Why would teams allow themselves to get screwed?

tapajafri
10-19-2012, 08:42 PM
The NBA is definitely rigged. It's so obvious, it's not even a conspiracy. The NBA just has the power to cover it up. No doubt that referees/Stern have affected the outcomes of games in the past, mainly important playoff games. Dick Bavetta is Stern's top puppet.

tapajafri
10-19-2012, 08:45 PM

The end.

I agree that some of these theories of the NBA being rigged are over the top. But there is some TRUTH to SOME of the extreme cases that happened in the past....such has Tim Donaghy rigging games. I think it's pretty safe to say that he wasn't the only ref that has rigged at least one game. Yeah, these number 1 pick scenarios or brooklyn team by stern or whatever these people say is a bit extreme and bogus. But there's no doubt that there have been cases where a few NBA games were rigged to affect the outcome. I'm talking about extreme cases, not the stuff that you listed because I agree, that stuff is just foolish. But in some extreme cases, it was probably rigged. The glaring example is Game 6 of 2002...which is pretty much where all the "NBA is rigged" talk started happening. It was THAT obvious that night.

P Harvy
10-19-2012, 08:48 PM
The NBA is definitely rigged. It's so obvious, it's not even a conspiracy. The NBA just has the power to cover it up. No doubt that referees/Stern have affected the outcomes of games in the past, mainly important playoff games. Dick Bavetta is Stern's top puppet.

Just a sad post man. Just a sad post.

I honestly feel bad for the people who said without a doubt that its rigged its just comical.

Could it be rigged? I'm sure it could be. Do I think it is? No I don't. But how can people say without a doubt that its rigged?

JeffG20
10-19-2012, 08:57 PM

to be fair it was a charlotte hornets hat, not new orleans

Chill_Will_24
10-19-2012, 09:01 PM
How do you buy out a firm and keep all the visitors under wraps? Why would teams allow themselves to get screwed?

I do not follow. I doubt any team is in on whatever Stern does during the lottery, hence why many GMs like Kahn have implied that they think the lottery is rigged.

I also do not think the NBA tries to influence individual games as much as people think. They DO want their most marketable guys and teams on national television and in the playoffs as much as possible but they are not blatant about it.

Shammyguy3
10-19-2012, 09:21 PM
You're simply rationalizing past events to support a theory, all of which is supported by 20/20 vision.

What if Harrison Barnes sucks it up the donkey dick, and the Magic draft the next Eddy Curry. What then? How come the New York Knicks sucked for so long, and still haven't become legit contenders? What about the Chicago Bulls sucking for 8+ years after Jordan retired. If the league was rigged, Phil would've been kept and Krause would've been fired, letting the dynasty continue. If the league was rigged, why did they let Jordan play baseball?

This is so stupid it's hilarious. Marc Cuban as a great example = if he thought the league was rigged, then there's no way in hell he'd "fake" purchase a team. Blahdy blah blah.

I don't believe in unicorns, but if i did they would appear in the sky but only over the atlantic ocean over the mystery, lost-land Atlantis because nobody would find them there.

But it's just a theory... what's your guys' theories on unicorns?

Chill_Will_24
10-19-2012, 09:31 PM
You're simply rationalizing past events to support a theory, all of which is supported by 20/20 vision.

What if Harrison Barnes sucks it up the donkey dick, and the Magic draft the next Eddy Curry. What then? How come the New York Knicks sucked for so long, and still haven't become legit contenders? What about the Chicago Bulls sucking for 8+ years after Jordan retired. If the league was rigged, Phil would've been kept and Krause would've been fired, letting the dynasty continue. If the league was rigged, why did they let Jordan play baseball?

This is so stupid it's hilarious. Marc Cuban as a great example = if he thought the league was rigged, then there's no way in hell he'd "fake" purchase a team. Blahdy blah blah.

I don't believe in unicorns, but if i did they would appear in the sky but only over the atlantic ocean over the mystery, lost-land Atlantis because nobody would find them there.

But it's just a theory... what's your guys' theories on unicorns?

I do not think the owners are in on anything. They might suspect that it is rigged but they cannot prove it.

Shammyguy3
10-19-2012, 09:41 PM
If i was owning a team, and was attempting to win every year by spending a lot of money and pay luxury tax, and if i had any inkling on the league being rigged, i would go to the lottery myself and make sure it is not rigged.

Another reason why it cannot be rigged anywhere near the level that this thread is suggesting is the fact that Lebron James signed in Miami instead of in New York, Chicago, or the Clippers. All bigger markets, more storied franchises that haven't won in a while.

Why did Dwight Howard opt-in with the Magic? If it was rigged, he'd be traded immediately or would hit free agency instead of going through a potential full year with the Magic (luckily for all he was traded).

There is no evidence of the league being rigged. The closest is that actual games were rigged, which is on a much much much smaller scale than having all of the agents, players', families, front offices, and european facets/scouts/college players/teams, etc etc all being funneled into a cash cow.

The league is a cash cow as is. And, if the league thought it best to cover their tracks and make it seem like they weren't fixing anything, San Antonio would have only won once. Yet, they had a dynasty. They continued to draft extremely well in Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, two picks that were nowhere near the 1st round.

whitesoxfan83
10-19-2012, 09:47 PM
I think it all goes off normally, fine, and fair until the playoffs... then it's just Stern and the officials colluding for ratings and money. I don't think it's all influenced I just think certain postseason situations are.

Shammyguy3
10-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Another thing, if the owners thought it was rigged at all, David Stern would be replaced. Simple as that. The owners trust him to run the league.

jbelmar4
10-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Yeah i'd say kobe would stick to his words and just retire, but in my opinion he could last until 39/40

og knick
10-19-2012, 09:52 PM
The league isn't totally rigged but is persuaded by a few outside forces... basically a reflection of American society.

- Big businesses who pay multi millions dollar deals to star players and also pay many millions to support the league will not allow there investments to fail.
It started with Jordan.. no doubt a good player but not so good that he could draw that many fouls.
how many huge nike contract guys have been flops?

- corrupt refs also influenced by betting.... nuff said here.

- and new owners who paid a lot of money to join the league that the original owners built... but then want an immediate payoff because they where promised a big pay off after paying so much to join the league.

- in the ends it's all entertainment and they give us what we want cause we keep supporting it... we don't demand parity we demand to be intertained .....soap operas sell too!!

Chill_Will_24
10-19-2012, 10:11 PM
If i was owning a team, and was attempting to win every year by spending a lot of money and pay luxury tax, and if i had any inkling on the league being rigged, i would go to the lottery myself and make sure it is not rigged.

Another reason why it cannot be rigged anywhere near the level that this thread is suggesting is the fact that Lebron James signed in Miami instead of in New York, Chicago, or the Clippers. All bigger markets, more storied franchises that haven't won in a while.

Why did Dwight Howard opt-in with the Magic? If it was rigged, he'd be traded immediately or would hit free agency instead of going through a potential full year with the Magic (luckily for all he was traded).

There is no evidence of the league being rigged. The closest is that actual games were rigged, which is on a much much much smaller scale than having all of the agents, players', families, front offices, and european facets/scouts/college players/teams, etc etc all being funneled into a cash cow.

The league is a cash cow as is. And, if the league thought it best to cover their tracks and make it seem like they weren't fixing anything, San Antonio would have only won once. Yet, they had a dynasty. They continued to draft extremely well in Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, two picks that were nowhere near the 1st round.

Players like Dwight and Lebron do not need to be in any particular market for the league to make money. Besides the fact that MIA is not a small market. It's not like he signed in Milwaukee

Chronz
10-19-2012, 10:21 PM
I do not follow.
Probably has to do with the fact that you dont know much about the lottery process. Rigging the lottery is implausible, literally impossible without an insane amount of money to keep all those involved hush hush, and even then why would a multi billion dollar company put its neck out for a much smaller entity in the NBA? How would you keep all those in the room from talking? Even if they somehow, someway managed to rig the lotto balls, why would they allowed another teams GM to keep the evidence(lotto balls)? Unless the GM's are in on it, in which case why would they willingly screw themselves.

I doubt any team is in on whatever Stern does during the lottery, hence why many GMs like Kahn have implied that they think the lottery is rigged.
Kahn said he was joking and no other GM has ever implied anything of the sort. I agree they aren't in on it, but thats because there is nothing to get into.

I also do not think the NBA tries to influence individual games as much as people think. They DO want their most marketable guys and teams on national television and in the playoffs as much as possible but they are not blatant about it.
Sounds like BS to me, if the NBA wanted to do that then they sure as hell do a poor job of it. I remember when Rocket fans were *****ing that the NBA rigged it so the Mavs would win, hilariously pointing to the lack of calls/no calls throughout the series. I couldn't understand the reasoning, why would Stern rig it so that his biggest international cash cow doesnt advance in favor of a team owned by the likes of Cuban?

I dont buy it

Shammyguy3
10-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Players like Dwight and Lebron do not need to be in any particular market for the league to make money. Besides the fact that MIA is not a small market. It's not like he signed in Milwaukee

Lebron in New York would've been the nearest thing since MJ was in Chicago (considering LA had both Kobe/Shaq i won't count either of them). It would've been ridiculous. Miami would've kept Wade & gotten one of Stat/Bosh/Boozer and been a contender, Chicago would've gotten one of Bosh/Boozer/Johnson (again, if the league tells players where to go Johnson should've ended up outside of Atlanta), and so on.

It makes no sense. None at all.

Chill_Will_24
10-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Lebron in New York would've been the nearest thing since MJ was in Chicago (considering LA had both Kobe/Shaq i won't count either of them). It would've been ridiculous. Miami would've kept Wade & gotten one of Stat/Bosh/Boozer and been a contender, Chicago would've gotten one of Bosh/Boozer/Johnson (again, if the league tells players where to go Johnson should've ended up outside of Atlanta), and so on.

It makes no sense. None at all.

Maybe but like i said, i do not think the NBA cares where players go. Players like Dwight and Lebron so marketable for them that it does not matter where they play

Chill_Will_24
10-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Probably has to do with the fact that you dont know much about the lottery process. Rigging the lottery is implausible, literally impossible without an insane amount of money to keep all those involved hush hush, and even then why would a multi billion dollar company put its neck out for a much smaller entity in the NBA? How would you keep all those in the room from talking? Even if they somehow, someway managed to rig the lotto balls, why would they allowed another teams GM to keep the evidence(lotto balls)? Unless the GM's are in on it, in which case why would they willingly screw themselves.

Kahn said he was joking and no other GM has ever implied anything of the sort. I agree they aren't in on it, but thats because there is nothing to get into.

Sounds like BS to me, if the NBA wanted to do that then they sure as hell do a poor job of it. I remember when Rocket fans were *****ing that the NBA rigged it so the Mavs would win, hilariously pointing to the lack of calls/no calls throughout the series. I couldn't understand the reasoning, why would Stern rig it so that his biggest international cash cow doesnt advance in favor of a team owned by the likes of Cuban?

I dont buy it

No i do not know much about it, i admit. yes, i guess it would be pretty hard to rig the NBA lottery if it is the way you say.

Do they check the balls and the machine? Like the weight and circumference? What are they made of? Plastic?

This is going way out there because as you said i am not familiar with the process, but wouldn't it be theoretically possible for them to make it look legit to the people in the room and when they check the machine and the balls everything might seem fine but maybe a tiny piece of tech in the machine and/or a particular ball could get them the result they want?

Not at all suggesting anything like this is happening because i realize how outlandish what i just wrote sounds.

I agree that it's a lot of mouths to keep shut though.

RLundi
10-19-2012, 11:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMAnCgjeZ4Q

You're like the kid that refuses to believe that Santa is not real.

And you're like the tool that believes the US government created AIDS. Very cute story on both accounts, but without presenting evidence, that's called mere SPECULATION and is immediately dismissed by sensible individuals.

RLundi
10-19-2012, 11:12 PM
No i do not know much about it, i admit. yes, i guess it would be pretty hard to rig the NBA lottery if it is the way you say.

Do they check the balls and the machine? Like the weight and circumference? What are they made of? Plastic?

This is going way out there because as you said i am not familiar with the process, but wouldn't it be theoretically possible for them to make it look legit to the people in the room and when they check the machine and the balls everything might seem fine but maybe a tiny piece of tech in the machine and/or a particular ball could get them the result they want?

Not at all suggesting anything like this is happening because i realize how outlandish what i just wrote sounds.

LOL priceless stuff. Whenever a claim or accusation is made (no matter how inane) the burden of proof falls on the accuser. So far all you've done is concede you have no idea what the hell you're talking about and then you reached and stretched to astronomical levels on hypotheticals.

Unbelievably convincing.

Chill_Will_24
10-19-2012, 11:15 PM
And you're like the tool that believes the US government created AIDS. Very cute story on both accounts, but without presenting evidence, that's called mere SPECULATION and is immediately dismissed by sensible individuals.

Yea right. It is one thing to be skeptical. Your sneering condescending attitude does nothing to convince anyone because you, like me, know absolutely nothing.

Chill_Will_24
10-19-2012, 11:19 PM
LOL priceless stuff. Whenever a claim or accusation is made (no matter how inane) the burden of proof falls on the accuser. So far all you've done is concede you have no idea what the hell you're talking about and then you reached and stretched to astronomical levels on hypotheticals.

Unbelievably convincing.

I am not trying to convince anyone or making any accusations. It's just a basketball game. I have nothing to gain either way. Why do you always get so butt hurt about everything and sneer at any opinion you disagree with? I simply gave my opinion to the OP. Disagree? Cool. Do not sit here and sneer at me like your opinion is any better than mine. You have no proof that the NBA Lottery is not rigged any more than i can prove it IS rigged.

Like i said... your condescending attitude does not impress anyone. Come in here with facts or your opinion is no better than anyone elses. It's that simple.

krazylegz
10-19-2012, 11:50 PM
i stopped watching the nba a number of years back for the same reason i stopped watching pro wrestling

Guppyfighter
10-19-2012, 11:56 PM

There are reasons to think the NBA was rigged (not currently) and the CP3 trade was not one of them. The Hornets were league owned so the owners all owned the team. 27 of the owners did not want the trade. It didn't go through.

Chill_Will_24
10-20-2012, 12:10 AM
There are reasons to think the NBA was rigged (not currently) and the CP3 trade was not one of them. The Hornets were league owned so the owners all owned the team. 27 of the owners did not want the trade. It didn't go through.

I don't think the NBA is rigged in that way at all. My issue is with the lottery mostly

Chronz
10-20-2012, 12:26 AM

I dont buy it

The only way to rig it (assuming you had enough money to buy off a multi billion dollar firm, and assuming it would somehow be worth the risk) would be to tinker with the balls weights. But again if your going to do this, you definitely don't hand over the evidence (the lotto balls) to the people your tricking.

Team reps in the draft room were even joking about stealing the balls and checking for consistency.

Chill_Will_24
10-20-2012, 01:03 AM
The only way to rig it (assuming you had enough money to buy off a multi billion dollar firm, and assuming it would somehow be worth the risk) would be to tinker with the balls weights. But again if your going to do this, you definitely don't hand over the evidence (the lotto balls) to the people your tricking.

Team reps in the draft room were even joking about stealing the balls and checking for consistency.

I guess we will never know and as you said, that is a lot of mouths to keep shut even for Stern and the NBA

RLundi
10-20-2012, 07:59 AM
I am not trying to convince anyone or making any accusations. It's just a basketball game. I have nothing to gain either way. Why do you always get so butt hurt about everything and sneer at any opinion you disagree with? I simply gave my opinion to the OP. Disagree? Cool. Do not sit here and sneer at me like your opinion is any better than mine. You have no proof that the NBA Lottery is not rigged any more than i can prove it IS rigged.

Like i said... your condescending attitude does not impress anyone. Come in here with facts or your opinion is no better than anyone elses. It's that simple.

'Trying to impress'? What grade are you in? I don't need to impress anyone, I'm not asking for anyone's hand in marriage. And this 'sneering' and 'condescension' you're accusing me of, it sounds like YOU'RE the one that's butthurt. I offered an opinion, you replied to it and I responded back. Don't like my commentary? Please feel free to put me on ignore.

Chill_Will_24
10-20-2012, 11:37 AM
'Trying to impress'? What grade are you in? I don't need to impress anyone, I'm not asking for anyone's hand in marriage. And this 'sneering' and 'condescension' you're accusing me of, it sounds like YOU'RE the one that's butthurt. I offered an opinion, you replied to it and I responded back. Don't like my commentary? Please feel free to put me on ignore.

It's the way you post. You seem angry at life. Dating back to the Dwight Howard fiasco your just so easy to tick off. I do not get mad on here. Ever. I laugh.

You can give an opinion without putting down another. It's a wonderful skill to have. Especially when your coming back with just a bunch of baseless opinion. Same as me. If you want to make someone feel silly for having an opinion on something you can start by stating facts as to why our opinion is better formed. Coming in here insulting anyone and providing nothing but your opinion is just comical.

Chill_Will_24
10-20-2012, 11:48 AM

The end.

This was your first reply and it was not to me. In this post you demonstrate the amazing ability to ridicule a few for their opinions, while condescendingly telling them what they should do and how they should think, aaaaaaand also looking like a huge douche in the process for failing to state any facts as to why your opinion is any better than the ones you just ridiculed.

Good job :clap:

whitemamba33
10-20-2012, 12:30 PM
#1 I don't see a logical reason for rigging the NBA, considering the HHHHUUUUGGGEEE penalties that would be enforced if anything credible was ever released about it, let alone how many fans would walk away from the game.

#2 The NBA doesn't need to be rigged, it rigs itself. You are always going to have the large markets competing for championships because the superstar players want to play for large markets. I didn't see the Bucks, the Thunder, or Utah on Dwight Howard's wish list. When Kobe came into the league he wanted to originally play for the Clippers. LeBron bolted for Miami instead of staying in Cleveland. You don't need to control free agency when the markets are doing it for you.

#3 There are a million story lines that can be created for just about every single team in contention for the #1 pick. As soon as that team wins the pick, that story line is pushed into the spotlight. The fact is, there is no guarantee. Just because a team has a higher probability of winning, doesn't mean it has to win or else the draft is rigged.

#4 Conspiracy theorists always talk about big market teams and big matchups in the finals, but there always such gaping holes. Cleveland vs San Antonio in the finals? LA losing to Detroit in the finals so easily? Again, you can make up all the story lines in the world to cover any of these, but at some point you have to ask yourself i you are trying too hard.

THE MTL
10-20-2012, 12:57 PM
I wonder if the NBA could afford to have a bad Lakers team?

KnicksR4Real
10-20-2012, 01:10 PM
crack kills