PDA

View Full Version : Bj Upton vs Delmon Young

Rain City
10-19-2012, 12:17 PM
who is going to get a bigger contract... i woulda said Upton by a fairly decent margin but delmon's playoff performance is closing the gap a bit right? (more playoff teams will show interest)

what do their deals look like?

sexicano31
10-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Upton has actually shown the ability to play baseball well

Zander 77
10-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Delmon will get 100m from the Yankees just so he can't beat them in the playoffs again next year.

Vixious
10-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Delmon will get 100m from the Yankees just so he can't beat them in the playoffs again next year.

:laugh2: :clap:

LionsFan..LOL
10-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Up until this Yankees series DY was crap. I still can't wait until he is gone, even if he has big World Series.

ahoda
10-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Who would think that giving Delmon a long term deal with lots of money is a good idea? He's awful.

theslick1
10-19-2012, 12:50 PM
It's funny when you watch a guy only when he plays against your team and he does well, you have a much different opinion of him than fans of his team do. I wouldn't give Young a huge deal, but if he's cheaper than Swisher, he might be an option. I think there are better options out there though.

Burkey3472
10-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Anyone who gives Delmon Young a big contract off of a couple of good games in a series is just plain dumb. He has been at best an average player over his career.

Rain City
10-19-2012, 01:08 PM
It's funny when you watch a guy only when he plays against your team and he does well, you have a much different opinion of him than fans of his team do. I wouldn't give Young a huge deal, but if he's cheaper than Swisher, he might be an option. I think there are better options out there though.

i was thinking ALCS could make NY a bidder which bumps his value... i know hes been an average player for the most part but he did have a 100RBI season, hes 27 and a former #1 overall.... WS stage gives him another opportunity to cash in...

Ms need a bat but hes too much of a free-swinger, he needs to be in a protected lineup.

popo85
10-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Dy

HotMayo
10-19-2012, 01:39 PM
It makes no sense for people to bad mouth delmon young. Its all about post season and he performs well when it MATTERS!!!!!!!!!! jesus

sexicano31
10-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Sure he had a 100 RBI season, but that was his best season and it wasnt even that good of a season. His career high OPS is .826. Hes average

sexicano31
10-19-2012, 01:40 PM
It makes no sense for people to bad mouth delmon young. Its all about post season and he performs well when it MATTERS!!!!!!!!!! jesus

Playoff stats:

.250/.310/.522

He has a high slugging but still sucks. hes not good

ReJo
10-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Upton might get the biggest position contract this free agency season possibly even bigger than Hamilton and Bourne. Delmon will be lucky to get a multi year deal

HowFit
10-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Upton might get the biggest position contract this free agency season possibly even bigger than Hamilton and Bourne. Delmon will be lucky to get a multi year deal

:facepalm:

theslick1
10-19-2012, 02:14 PM
i was thinking ALCS could make NY a bidder which bumps his value... i know hes been an average player for the most part but he did have a 100RBI season, hes 27 and a former #1 overall.... WS stage gives him another opportunity to cash in...

Ms need a bat but hes too much of a free-swinger, he needs to be in a protected lineup.

He's probably on the Yankee radar but honestly I don't think they will go after him. The Yankees typically look for disciplined hitters and, since George died, they have stayed away from guys with off field issues (I'm referring to Young's arrest earlier this year in NYC).

ReJo
10-19-2012, 02:29 PM
:facepalm:

It's true I would not be surprised to see Upton get a monster deal this off season. I'm not saying he's better than Hamilton or Bourne right now but is a better investment.
Hamilton is 32 and has the past drug issues that may shy some teams away from too big and long of a deal.
Bourne is approaching 30 and is almost solely reliant on his speed which is usually the first to decline over power.

Upton is a 5 tool stud of a player that is still only 28 and hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential yet.

sexicano31
10-19-2012, 02:34 PM
It's true I would not be surprised to see Upton get a monster deal this off season. I'm not saying he's better than Hamilton or Bourne right now but is a better investment.
Hamilton is 32 and has the past drug issues that may shy some teams away from too big and long of a deal.
Bourne is approaching 30 and is almost solely reliant on his speed which is usually the first to decline over power.

Upton is a 5 tool stud of a player that is still only 28 and hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential yet.

Ummm...

albertajaysfan
10-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Ummm...

I second that. Considering the playing time he has been given he should have 'scratched' the surface of his potential by now.

rocket
10-19-2012, 03:02 PM

what

levignjw
10-19-2012, 03:28 PM

He's playing out of his mind right now, no doubt. But if we resign him for next year I'll castrate myself. For realz.

MetsFanatic19
10-19-2012, 03:34 PM

Upton puts in as much effort as a pot smoking hipster in gym class.

Nomar
10-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Delmon Young doesnt deserve to be a starter, Upton is a valuable player een if he doesnt live up to his full potential. Theres no contest.

Procision
10-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Not sure if serious thread.

fadedmario
10-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Delmon never has any patience at the plate.

I will support him, but I highly doubt the Tigers offer him a contract with Garcia and Castellanos waiting to take his spot.

He also can't field for ****.

Upton all day.

SenorGato
10-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Upton's a really good player with probably some room to get a little better into his prime. Young has alot of room to improve to be worth any significant commitment.

Yankees90.
10-19-2012, 07:42 PM
BJ Upton.....Delmon Young blows in the regular season, then wakes up (to say the least) in the postseason. Weird, but oh well. Upton, I believe will get a bigger contract because I would assume he has more OF range, speed, and has shown he can play regular season ball, despite a slightly low average and a slightly high K rate. I think in terms of biggest offseason contracts for OF'ers...

1. Hamilton
2. Bourn
3. Upton
4. Young

I can see Young getting a Jason Bay type of deal

MetsFanatic19
10-19-2012, 07:54 PM
BJ Upton.....Delmon Young blows in the regular season, then wakes up (to say the least) in the postseason. Weird, but oh well. Upton, I believe will get a bigger contract because I would assume he has more OF range, speed, and has shown he can play regular season ball, despite a slightly low average and a slightly high K rate. I think in terms of biggest offseason contracts for OF'ers...

1. Hamilton
2. Bourn
3. Upton
4. Young

:badidea:

SenorGato
10-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Bourn's another guy I don't want to give a long term deal to. He has a little more power than him, but otherwise I see him as a Juan Pierre type who is more likely to decline than remain the same or get better under his money contract.

Yankees90.
10-19-2012, 08:15 PM
:badidea:

:laugh2:

Lol well I hope production wise, it's not the same deal, but I think in terms of years and money it is fair. At least you know you're getting yourself a postseason performer.

onlythisfar41
10-19-2012, 08:31 PM

You seem not to know a lot about Upton apparently. Were not talking about Justin from Az were talking about BJ from Tampa. He had one solid year, not good but solid, and aside from that he has been very average.

Yes he has all the physical tools to be a dominant player, but he has not put it together. Hes been in the league more than long enough to have reached his potential already. He doesnt hit for enough power, he doesnt hit for a good enough average and he just gives off an aura of lazy. He will probably get a decent deal from someone because hes in his prime and like I said before he does physically have the tools and someone will take a chance that he puts it together. However at this point I think what you see is what you get.

As for deciding between the two, I would still go for Upton just because he has the potential to be much greater if he put everything together.

rockbottom2010
10-19-2012, 08:46 PM
rangers, yankees, phillies, indians, orioles, and possibly the red sox are going to go after upton

SenorGato
10-19-2012, 08:54 PM
You don't have to be a dominant player to be useful to a winning team. Upton's consistently been a productive offensive player on a playoff team hitting FA during the meat of his prime. Pretty much any team worth their salt will be in on Upton and he's arguably the best buy on the OF FA market.

ReJo
10-19-2012, 09:19 PM

1. Hamilton
2. Bourn
3. Upton
4. Young

I'd put Pagan, Swisher and Victorino all ahead of Young as well.

I think Hamilton will get $100+ million and Bourne and Upton will get close to what Torii Hunter got when he left Minny for the Angels 5/$90 M

Rain City
10-19-2012, 09:21 PM
i dont see how u can consider upton 5 tool when hes had 4 straight seasons sub .250, hes a lazy OFer, his SBs are likely going to keep going down...

but it is kinda stupid to think delmon will make as much $..., if he kills in the WS he might make as much $ per, but I cant see anybody giving him more than 3 years... upton will get at least 4, as many as 6...

when i think about these guys i wonder if they are going to mail it in after they get pd... but in actuality it seems like they have been mailing it in for a few years and upton has been pretty good and so has delmon in spurts. lol... kinda guys you offer incentives to.

odiz
10-19-2012, 10:26 PM

Except Juan Pierre was a above average defensive CF with one of the worst arms of any player ever to play in the Majors and he couldnt take a walk. Bourn is a very patient hitter, is the best defensive OF in baseball and he has a good arm. I agree that whoever gives Bourn a multiyear deal will probably come to regret it seeing as his game is based around speed, but hes a much better player then Pierre ever was.

EDIT: Woops i quoted the wrong post, it was supposed to be the one comparing Bourn to Pierre.

Bravo95
10-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Bourn is a very patient hitter, is the best defensive OF in baseball and he has a good arm.
Nah. A lot of strikeouts and a weak arm. Great fielder and stolen base threat though.

sexicano31
10-19-2012, 11:56 PM
i dont see how u can consider upton 5 tool when hes had 4 straight seasons sub .250, hes a lazy OFer, his SBs are likely going to keep going down...

but it is kinda stupid to think delmon will make as much $..., if he kills in the WS he might make as much $ per, but I cant see anybody giving him more than 3 years... upton will get at least 4, as many as 6...

when i think about these guys i wonder if they are going to mail it in after they get pd... but in actuality it seems like they have been mailing it in for a few years and upton has been pretty good and so has delmon in spurts. lol... kinda guys you offer incentives to.

Upton is a borderline 5 tool player.

WOwolfOL
10-20-2012, 03:24 AM
It's rare nowadays that players who steal 50+ bases also walk at above-average clips. Bourne had 70 walks this year for 10%, and generally takes a decent amount. I think he will be pretty damn good still for another 3 years, but even when he loses a step, at least he will keep a pretty nice OBP.

I am a Michael Bourne fan.

WOwolfOL
10-20-2012, 03:28 AM
Upton is a borderline 5 tool player.

Unfortunately one of those tools is 'ability to hit for contact' and it's about as definitive as can be that that is not a tool he possesses.

SenorGato
10-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Batting average is hardly the most important offensive skill to have. Ill take the patience, power, and speed and find a way to survive.

SenorGato
10-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Except Juan Pierre was a above average defensive CF with one of the worst arms of any player ever to play in the Majors and he couldnt take a walk. Bourn is a very patient hitter, is the best defensive OF in baseball and he has a good arm. I agree that whoever gives Bourn a multiyear deal will probably come to regret it seeing as his game is based around speed, but hes a much better player then Pierre ever was.

Didnt say he wasnt, its not that hard, but hes still got fewer skills than given credit for. He also doesnt have a good arm, though in comparison to Pierre sure. The Pierre comp was more of a general comp based around a game with no power, which I dont think transfers well into the 30s.

WOwolfOL
10-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Batting average is hardly the most important offensive skill to have. Ill take the patience, power, and speed and find a way to survive.

Even so, the antiquated definition of the tool hasn't changed. He has 4 of the tools and I don't think we can stretch to credit the fifth. Its not a big deal anyways, its semantics.

sexicano31
10-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately one of those tools is 'ability to hit for contact' and it's about as definitive as can be that that is not a tool he possesses.

Ergo, "borderline"