PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper and Mike Trout's Next Big Contracts

rockbottom2010
10-19-2012, 04:50 AM
How much do you think Bryce Harper and Mike Trout will be worth once they are eligible for free agency? They are the most talent players in baseball with promising years to come. A-Rod is the highest paid baseball player all-time and he became an all-star at the age of 20 years and 11 months in his 2nd season. Both Harper and Trout became the youngest players ever to play an all star game at the ages of 19 years & 9 months, and 20 years and 10 months respectively. How much do you think they will be paid annually and what will be their contacts like once it's all said and done? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_paid_Major_League_Baseball_players

My Predictions
Bryce Harper - 10 years - 320 Million
I think Harper will get 35 million as his highest annually

Mike Trout - 10 Years - 350 million
I think Trout will get 40 Million and will be the first player ever to get paid that much in one year

Jeffy25
10-19-2012, 04:54 AM
I don't think either will get that much, the new luxury tax really does incitivize teams to keep thins limited.

But each player will be free agents at such young ages.

I am basing this off of really nothing.

But I gather the impression that Harper will go to the highest bidder that is a good team. So he is more likely to chase that 200 million plus deal.

Maybe a 8-10 deal, worth 225-275 million if he continues on the pace that is hoped for him.

As for Trout

I gather that he likes LA, and will remain there regardless of the teams situation. I envision a lifer, and after his first arb year, he will sign a 7-8 deal, worth maybe 200 million at that time.

Again, this is assuming each player lives up to their full potentials.

rockbottom2010
10-19-2012, 04:59 AM
remember these guys are just babies in the league already showing some serious talent....if a-rod can hit 300 mill
they will get higher....remember hamilton is being predicted to be paid 30 mill/ year...these two will have massive contact w/o doubt

SenorGato
10-19-2012, 05:57 AM
One will be a Cub if they are willing to be patient and wait for the next year. Both could hit FA just a few years before the Cubs plan to put a competent team on the field from what Im told to understand.

MetsFanatic19
10-19-2012, 06:11 AM
I don't think either will get that much, the new luxury tax really does incitivize teams to keep thins limited.

But I gather the impression that Harper will go to the highest bidder that is a good team. So he is more likely to chase that 200 million plus deal.

Maybe a 8-10 deal, worth 225-275 million if he continues on the pace that is hoped for him.

As for Trout

I gather that he likes LA, and will remain there regardless of the teams situation. I envision a lifer, and after his first arb year, he will sign a 7-8 deal, worth maybe 200 million at that time.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

idrinkpepsi
10-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Way too early.

mikekhelxD
10-19-2012, 06:41 AM
It's just too damn early to even come up with a figure. The earliest we'll see any clue is how much they'll win for their first arb hearing, which they will most likely qualify as early as super 2.

HowFit
10-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Way too early.

Ditto! This season could possibly be a fluke to one or both of them...

Peace Walker
10-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Harper Is likely to leave washington by that time.
I predict a 10yr 275Mil

Trout Is Really hard to predict.

quinnjack
10-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Harper is a Yankees fan, he makes no qualms about it. He'll be a free agent, assuming his contract years play out consecutively, in 2018.

So he'll be, what, 25-26?

I would not be the least bit surprised, and I mean it, to see him sign something like a 10-11-12 year deal w/NYY for an AAV around $30MM.

Amaradio15
10-19-2012, 08:14 AM
These numbers are absurd. Harper getting 10 years at $32M per season? Trout getting 10 years at $35M per season? One player can't win a championship and unless you have money like the Yankess (and even the Yankees wouldn't pay this much; lesson learned from ARod) these values are too high. I can see both, during the prime of their career, getting $22-$25M per season. Yes, they are extremely talented but paying them $30M+ a season will make their respective team uncompetitive because they won't be able to surround them with enough talent.

yankeesown69
10-19-2012, 09:11 AM
wow calm down buddy lol

Nomar
10-19-2012, 10:17 AM

As for Trout

x2

Ill21
10-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I will bet a lot of money that Harper ends up on the Yankees and Trout ends up in the Phillies. I work with trouts uncle and he said trout is a huge phillies fan growing up in south jersey and said he always wanted to play for them.

Nomar
10-19-2012, 10:24 AM
I will bet a lot of money that Harper ends up on the Yankees and Trout ends up in the Phillies. I work with trouts uncle and he said trout is a huge phillies fan growing up in south jersey and said he always wanted to play for them.

I could totally see Harper in NY abusing that weak *** right field fence lol.

The LA fans are insanely in love with Trout. I think by the time he is a FA hes going to realize how much he loves the life he has there. If the Angels and Nats are smart they will extend these guys if they play well next year. If Trout has another 6+ WAR season i would give him a 10 year deal.

thawv
10-19-2012, 12:03 PM
I'd like to say that neither will become free agents. If these teams had any sense, they would stop that in their first year of arby. You know.....buy out those years and reward them handsomely. I think that will happen with Trout. Harper is a different story. Scott Boras will never allow that. Therefore, he will probably go elsewhere.

As far as dollar amounts? The way teams are getting burned with long, no trade contracts, it's really hard to say what the mentality is going to be at that time.

sexicano31
10-19-2012, 12:46 PM
I will stick by my prediction that Harper will be the first $300mil baseball player

YanksNats1987
10-19-2012, 01:23 PM
They will make more money than I ever will. And probably already have. :sigh:

Vixious
10-19-2012, 02:12 PM
I could totally see Harper in NY abusing that weak *** right field fence lol.

The LA fans are insanely in love with Trout. I think by the time he is a FA hes going to realize how much he loves the life he has there. If the Angels and Nats are smart they will extend these guys if they play well next year. If Trout has another 6+ WAR season i would give him a 10 year deal.

I know its a different situation, but if it can happen to Pujols, it can happen to Trout. Speaking of which, the Angels will still have Pujols' horrendous contract on the books, if Trout decides to wait and the bids come in, it's not guaranteed that the Angels will be able to afford him.

Jeffy25
10-19-2012, 02:33 PM
remember these guys are just babies in the league already showing some serious talent....if a-rod can hit 300 mill
they will get higher....remember hamilton is being predicted to be paid 30 mill/ year...these two will have massive contact w/o doubt

Only A-Rod got that money was because Tom Hicks was an idiot.

They are scheduled for free agency at 25/26, so yeah, a 10 year deal sounds great. But 300+ is a reach no matter who

Jeffy25
10-19-2012, 02:34 PM
What's funny is that the year that A-Rod becomes a free agent, is the same year that Harper does too

Bankees

Nomar
10-19-2012, 03:52 PM
I know its a different situation, but if it can happen to Pujols, it can happen to Trout. Speaking of which, the Angels will still have Pujols' horrendous contract on the books, if Trout decides to wait and the bids come in, it's not guaranteed that the Angels will be able to afford him.

Good point

natepro
10-19-2012, 03:58 PM
No way DiPo lets Trout leave the Angels when he's first eligible for FA, unless he severely tanks. He is the face of the franchise now, and that's with Jered Weaver already on the team and loved by the fans, and Pujols signing in the off-season. That's not an easy thing to do.

Nomar
10-19-2012, 04:07 PM
What's funny is that the year that A-Rod becomes a free agent, is the same year that Harper does too

Bankees

Grew up a Yankees fan too. It's gonna happen.

CarniifeX

Trout grew up a huge Yankees fan.

ciaban

As for Trout

you are assuming a lot about each player, how do you know that harper will just leave for the top dollar, or that Trout loves LA the problem is that they are on the wrong coast trout is from NJ which is a lot closer to D.C. and harper is from Vegas, which is a lot closer to LA than it is to D.C.

One will be a Cub if they are willing to be patient and wait for the next year. Both could hit FA just a few years before the Cubs plan to put a competent team on the field from what Im told to understand.
they are going to be the most coveted talent to hit the market in years, they have game changing talent, why would they want to wait? and Chicago isn't close to either of their homes or families.

Harper is a Yankees fan, he makes no qualms about it. He'll be a free agent, assuming his contract years play out consecutively, in 2018.

So he'll be, what, 25-26?

I would not be the least bit surprised, and I mean it, to see him sign something like a 10-11-12 year deal w/NYY for an AAV around $30MM.

he is also from Las Vegas, which is where his family resides, and the dodgers/angels are a whole hell of lot closer than the Yankees, and he has stated that he would love for a chance to play in the same outfield with Mike Trout, him in RF and Mike in Center.

ciaban
10-19-2012, 04:08 PM

no he didn't, he is a big Jeter Fan, but he grew up a Big Phillie fan.

ciaban
10-19-2012, 04:12 PM
yeah but every other big contract will be off the books by that point.

i don't know if the phillies will offer him the money the Angels or Yankees will.

No way DiPo lets Trout leave the Angels when he's first eligible for FA, unless he severely tanks. He is the face of the franchise now, and that's with Jered Weaver already on the team and loved by the fans, and Pujols signing in the off-season. That's not an easy thing to do.
and weaver is a local product, born and raised in the LA area and went to college at Long Beach State.

GA16Angels
10-19-2012, 04:16 PM
As for Trout

I think he'd go to the Yankees the first chance he got. He grew up a Yankee fan and Derek Jeter was his favorite player growing up. That's why we have to lock that down sooner rather than later.

GA16Angels
10-19-2012, 04:24 PM
you are assuming a lot about each player, how do you know that harper will just leave for the top dollar, or that Trout loves LA the problem is that they are on the wrong coast trout is from NJ which is a lot closer to D.C. and harper is from Vegas, which is a lot closer to LA than it is to D.C.

they are going to be the most coveted talent to hit the market in years, they have game changing talent, why would they want to wait? and Chicago isn't close to either of their homes or families.

he is also from Las Vegas, which is where his family resides, and the dodgers/angels are a whole hell of lot closer than the Yankees, and he has stated that he would love for a chance to play in the same outfield with Mike Trout, him in RF and Mike in Center.

I don't think most players base where they sign on proximity to where they grew up. Some, like CJ Wilson, might, but most probably don't think about that too much. If all baseball players tried to play close to their homes, all the California, Texas, and Florida franchises would be the top choice of like 80% of the players and that's simply not the case.

natepro
10-19-2012, 04:25 PM
and weaver is a local product, born and raised in the LA area and went to college at Long Beach State.

Okay.

But I don't really think that has much to do with much. A lot of kids ended up playing for teams other than the ones they were big fans of growing up. That's why you hear about guys like David Freese who are playing for the teams they were big fans of, because it's fairly rare.

Rush
10-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Love his ideas.

rockbottom2010
10-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Only A-Rod got that money was because Tom Hicks was an idiot.

They are scheduled for free agency at 25/26, so yeah, a 10 year deal sounds great. But 300+ is a reach no matter who

you forgot the whole game...hicks gave him 10 years 252 million
steinbrenner gave a-rod 10 years 275 million...and if he breaks the HR record...he can get paid up to 300 mill

rockbottom2010
10-19-2012, 04:55 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if either one of them hit the 400 mill mark....the yankees, angels, dodgers, phillies, nationals, and possibly the tigers and red sox will all go on a bidding war with those guys...

Ill21
10-19-2012, 05:14 PM

From what his uncle said he was a huge jeter fan but always loved the phillies

catman
10-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Way too early.
this

ciaban
10-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I think he'd go to the Yankees the first chance he got. He grew up a Yankee fan and Derek Jeter was his favorite player growing up. That's why we have to lock that down sooner rather than later.
he grew up a phillies fan, he just also really loved Derek Jeter, and what are the odds that Derek will still be a starting player on the Yankees at 43? i think he retires before anyone hits free agency.

I don't think most players base where they sign on proximity to where they grew up. Some, like CJ Wilson, might, but most probably don't think about that too much. If all baseball players tried to play close to their homes, all the California, Texas, and Florida franchises would be the top choice of like 80% of the players and that's simply not the case.
really, then why did nolan ryan leave the angels to go play in texas, why is it that despite having a better and longer career with the angels he is wearing a rangers hat on his plaque? CC wanted to play in California, he is from the bay area. However at the time he was a free agent he only had one good offer from the brewers and one great offer from the yankees, obviously it's within reason, but a lot of players either get comfortable where they are, or they want to go home. Also, most people grow up a fan of their local team, so the argument of a player going to play for the team he grew up loveing is usually intertwined with the going home argument. BTW so growing up a Yankee fan means we should start tailoring the pinstripes for him now, but being close to friends and family, and people who share his faith, that isn't a big deal.

Okay.

But I don't really think that has much to do with much. A lot of kids ended up playing for teams other than the ones they were big fans of growing up. That's why you hear about guys like David Freese who are playing for the teams they were big fans of, because it's fairly rare.
no no no, u misunderstand, i know just how popular he is, i am agreeing with you, he is more popular than the local guy born and raised in LA, who went to a local school and has had a lot of success with this team, that's how amazing trout is that he can out shine that guy.

ciaban
10-19-2012, 05:25 PM
the other thing to consider is if they have families of their own, if these guys meet and marry a local girl, their wife might not want to move cross country because one team offered 2 million more dollars total, best advice i have ever received is happy wife happy life.

Fly
10-19-2012, 05:29 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if either one of them hit the 400 mill mark....the yankees, angels, dodgers, phillies, nationals, and possibly the tigers and red sox will all go on a bidding war with those guys...

I think you're clueless as to how much money $400 million is..

Rush
10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
So how much is Mark Appel going to get in 2020?

DodgerB24
10-19-2012, 06:12 PM

http://youtu.be/cf7uJDhVZIE

SenorGato
10-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Considering his uppity attitude he'll be lucky to have Matt Harrington's job at Costco, amirite or amirite!?!?

rockbottom2010
10-19-2012, 06:34 PM
I think you're clueless as to how much money $400 million is..

i know how much 400 million is.......i don't know if its possible however at the same it could happen.....if u look back 20 years ago how much players were making....now it has come down to 9 figures......baseball revenues always increases no matter what....not only that.....remember how 1994 ended....

Fly
10-19-2012, 06:56 PM
i know how much 400 million is.......i don't know if its possible however at the same it could happen.....if u look back 20 years ago how much players were making....now it has come down to 9 figures......baseball revenues always increases no matter what....not only that.....remember how 1994 ended....

No player has ever even gotten $300 million! There's no way baseball salaries will inflate by that much over the course of half a decade to the point where a $200 million deal would be half as much as the largest contract in baseball..

ciaban
10-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Considering his uppity attitude he'll be lucky to have Matt Harrington's job at Costco, amirite or amirite!?!?

matt harrington skipped a full ride to arizona state so he could enter the draft the next year, and didn't even bother going to community college, Mark Appel on the other hand is going to get a degree from STANFORD, and maybe he will some day go back to get a graduate degree from there if baseball falls through, also, he is a lot more polished than Matt Harrington who had only pitched in High School.

in summary to answer your question, no...you are not amirite!

fadedmario
10-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Trout would look good in a Tigers uniform.

Utd7
10-19-2012, 08:15 PM
As much as I'd like to see Harper in pinstripes, if he does become the first 300 million player I want no part of him. Hope we learn our mistake on the A-Rod deal.

rockbottom2010
10-19-2012, 08:28 PM
No player has ever even gotten $300 million! There's no way baseball salaries will inflate by that much over the course of half a decade to the point where a $200 million deal would be half as much as the largest contract in baseball..

did u forget....a-rod actually has a chance of hitting 300 million......both of these guys are gonna be free agents at a real young age...and trust me...its bound to happen......pujols would have easily surpass the 300 million mark however his age made a big factor...and still at the age of 32 he ended up getting 240 plus mill

SenorGato
10-19-2012, 09:18 PM
matt harrington skipped a full ride to arizona state so he could enter the draft the next year, and didn't even bother going to community college, Mark Appel on the other hand is going to get a degree from STANFORD, and maybe he will some day go back to get a graduate degree from there if baseball falls through, also, he is a lot more polished than Matt Harrington who had only pitched in High School.

in summary to answer your question, no...you are not amirite!

Yeah but he has no leverage and stuff.

rockbottom2010
10-19-2012, 09:21 PM

not only that....the first 7 teams in the draft never really saw any potential in him...he was projected first pick....

SenorGato
10-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Yeah the rumor was that he was arguably the worst top pitching prospect in maybe a decade.

ccugrad1
10-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Way too early to talk numbers with either.

MetsFanatic19
10-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Trout would look good in a Tigers uniform.

I day dream of him coming to Queens.

:pray:

rockbottom2010
10-19-2012, 09:46 PM
we're gonna talk about this topic in the years to come...mite as well start it......anything can happen

Utd7
10-19-2012, 09:48 PM
When are both even eligible?

rockbottom2010
10-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Yeah the rumor was that he was arguably the worst top pitching prospect in maybe a decade.

we will never know the future of pitching...we can only predict 2 all-stars that will rise into bigger heights...mike trout and bryce harper

rockbottom2010
10-19-2012, 09:54 PM
When are both even eligible?

after 2017 season

SenorGato
10-19-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm actually think that players should get paid like us normal folk. What I mean is that after the season is done they are paid a certain amount of money based on their level of production.

nickster16301
10-19-2012, 10:15 PM
this is why we need a cap...these guys salaries are going to be stupid

WOwolfOL
10-19-2012, 11:06 PM
If those teams were smart they would lock up the decade-deals when they are 24 and not 26. That way you're not paying a 35-36 year-old 30M. You have a much better chance of getting the production to merit the amount.

natepro
10-20-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm actually think that players should get paid like us normal folk. What I mean is that after the season is done they are paid a certain amount of money based on their level of production. Who on earth gets paid like this? No one is evaluated on their job at the end of the week and paid based on that amount.

"Sorry honey, the kids won't be able to eat this week. I just didn't make enough widgets!"

this is why we need a cap...these guys salaries are going to be stupid

Utter nonsense. Does a cap stop other sports from having dyanistic teams? Of course not. Does it stop players from getting huge contracts? Nope. The economy of baseball will dictate the limits of contracts, there's no reason the league should arbitrarily do it because you can handle a guy make $100MM over the life of his contract, but not $250MM.

utl768
10-20-2012, 12:57 AM
theyll both be yankees in 6 years

ciaban
10-20-2012, 01:16 AM
unless he gets hurt or has a major drop in production, he will have leverage, because he can always sign with an independent league like luke hochevar, and this is also a really weak draft. plus idk if he was red shirted his freshman year, so he might be able to go back one more year. BTW he is getting an engineering degree, and there is no shortage of jobs for engineers here in the bay area

Who on earth gets paid like this? No one is evaluated on their job at the end of the week and paid based on that amount.

"Sorry honey, the kids won't be able to eat this week. I just didn't make enough widgets!"

Utter nonsense. Does a cap stop other sports from having dyanistic teams? Of course not. Does it stop players from getting huge contracts? Nope. The economy of baseball will dictate the limits of contracts, there's no reason the league should arbitrarily do it because you can handle a guy make $100MM over the life of his contract, but not $250MM.
this was really really funny,in fairness though, many people who work on commission get paid like this.

theyll both be yankees in 6 years
the yankees are going to have 2 OF making 200-250 million plus all the other money they will throw at other people.

ciaban
10-20-2012, 01:17 AM
a name some of you guys are forgetting is Manny Machado, he is the same age and can put up numbers as good or better, plus he is an infielder which caries more value.

Fly
10-20-2012, 01:18 AM
a name some of you guys are forgetting is Manny Machado, he is the same age and can put up numbers as good or better, plus he is an infielder which caries more value.

reference to my sig for my reaction to the bolded.

ciaban
10-20-2012, 01:55 AM
reference to my sig for my reaction to the bolded.

you don't think he can be great with the bat? or with the glove? or both?

odiz
10-20-2012, 02:47 AM
If Harper plays to his potential over the next 4 years he is going to get a huge contract. He will have just turned 25 when he hits FA. I could definitely see him getting more years and more money annually then A-Rods deal.

Edit: Actually hell only be 24 when he hits FA.

Carlznerson
10-20-2012, 03:19 AM
Harper will be in Washington lol. We have the money.

ciaban
10-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Harper will be in Washington lol. We have the money.

there are 2 things,

1)if he wants to be closer to his friends and family on the west coast. which is something you can't control, or if he really really wants to play for the yankees, something else you can't control.

2)What if he wants stupid money, like a-rod or pujols money? do you have that kind of stupid money?

Edit: i just remembered that you gave a 7 years deal to Jason Wearth lol you do have stupid money.

Texas Holders
10-20-2012, 03:43 AM
the yankees are going to have 2 OF making 200-250 million plus all the other money they will throw at other people.

It wouldn't be unheard of, they currently have two infielders with contracts combing to $450M.

rockbottom2010
10-20-2012, 10:39 AM
check this out.....this was a-rod's second year in the big league...i want to see where mike trout ends up in mvp voting.....http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_1996.shtml#ALmvp...
6 of the 7 guys were steroid users....the only clean guy in that list is griffey.....

Norieaga
10-20-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm willing to bet Washington already has Harper's future contract in the books. They're going to pay him. Their owner is wealthy and they now have a popular--and successful--team. He's the face of the franchise.

He's staying. If not, he can come play for us in Boston! :)

ciaban
10-20-2012, 02:04 PM
jason wearths contract will be up by the time harper becomes a free agent.

rockbottom2010
10-20-2012, 08:50 PM

only time will tell for machado if hes capable of having numbers like harper or trout...remember the name of brett lawrie...he was in a similar situation as machado....but hasn't shown any capability yet...we will see

Fly
10-20-2012, 11:04 PM
only time will tell for machado if hes capable of having numbers like harper or trout...remember the name of brett lawrie...he was in a similar situation as machado....but hasn't shown any capability yet...we will see

What are you talking about? A .407 wOBA last year in the majors wasn't capability? Or are you ready to discard that and some great years in the minors simply because of a sophomore slump?

natsbats
10-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Anyone thinking Harper won't be a 30 million dollar man is kidding themselves. This isn't a guy who you will be signing with worries of an A-Rod situation where you're overpaying for his services drmatically in the last numerous years of the contract - you're getting a 24 years old who will serve out his prime and semi-prime for you.

rockbottom2010
10-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Anyone thinking Harper won't be a 30 million dollar man is kidding themselves. This isn't a guy who you will be signing with worries of an A-Rod situation where you're overpaying for his services drmatically in the last numerous years of the contract - you're getting a 24 years old who will serve out his prime and semi-prime for you.

he will be in his pre-prime years once he hits free agency...thats why hes going to get a boat load of money