PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Romero 2012 - Worst meltdown ever?

Vixious
10-19-2012, 02:15 AM
Now I'm talking completely and strictly from a wins and losses perspective. I know that W-L is a terrible, horrid stat and I hate its use in discussions such as those made for Cy Young candidates, but regardless of all of that, this is still very curious to me.

From the start of the season till June 22 Ricky Romero's W-L Record:

8 Wins, 1 Loss (0.889 Win-%)

Then he met the Red Sox on June 27, five days later. His record from then till the end of the season:

1 Win, 13 Losses (0.071 Win-%)

Talking from a strictly traditional stat perspective, and more specifically wins and losses, is this the biggest meltdown ever? Has anyone ever done so good to start and done so horrendous to finish? Has it ever been done in reverse (terrible start, amazing finish)? Again, I'm talking strictly in terms of wins and losses here.

Oh and in-before someone only reads the word "meltdown" in the title and goes straight to mentioning Tim Lincecum :laugh2:

Farsight
10-19-2012, 02:28 AM
Even before his "meltdown" he was have a subpar season to begin with. His K rate was down from 7 to 6 from the previous season, his BB% was a little higher, and than he imploded.

To answer your question though, it was a huge meltdown. Talk about confidence? Worst part was, he was still acting cocky and arrogant. He had this sense of entitlement even when he was pitching soooooooooo poorly. Some days i just wanted John Farrell to run out to the mound and close line him.

Vixious
10-19-2012, 02:45 AM
No, I agree. In terms of pure numbers, I personally think he's been doing horribly since 2011. 2010 is starting to look like an outlier from which he has shown huge decline in each of the past two years. I'm still curious though if something like this has ever happened before. It's remarkable to me, especially given the fact that the Jays had a top 3 offense going a long way into the season. I know wins and losses are horrible methods of measurement but I've never seen one player hit such opposite extremes in one season.

JLynn943
10-19-2012, 02:53 AM
It's not as bad (W-L wise at least) but Mike Pelfrey did something similar in 2010. He started 9-1 and finished 15-9. He was having an All-Star caliber season if I remember correctly and then just totally fell apart. I'm on my phone, otherwise i'd check his stats, but I remember there being a big difference.

Halladay
10-19-2012, 03:04 AM
Ricky was awful across the board. He got less press then he would in other years due to record injuries the team had.

jrap2
10-19-2012, 03:04 AM
daaaaaaaaaaamn i knew he had a bad 2nd half but not that bad

rockbottom2010
10-19-2012, 03:18 AM
u forgot to bring up john lester...and josh beckett..and tim lincecum.....

Halladay
10-19-2012, 03:24 AM
daaaaaaaaaaamn i knew he had a bad 2nd half but not that bad
Not a bad second half, he was bad all year. The only reason people thought he was doing alright in the first half is because his record was 8-1 or something along those lines in the first half...with the second best offense in the AL behind him.

u forgot to bring up john lester...and josh beckett..and tim lincecum.....
They're there too. Not sure about Beckett though, in recent years his numbers all over the board like a pen arm.

Nomar
10-19-2012, 10:21 AM
His SIERA and xFIP were good in both 2010 and 2011, granted they were best in 2010. It's way too soon to ride him off.

And i dont really think he was being cocky this year but i bet he didnt want to seem like he was self conscious and worried. He most likely was trying to stay positive. They shouldve shut him down in the second half and phantom DL'ed him, and i think they wouldve if it werent for all the SP injuries for Toronto this season.

miller74
10-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Ricky needs to delete his twitter account because clearly he cant help but react to negative comments like an adult and a professional.

Huge meltdown and its all between the ears

StayOnBoard
10-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Ricky needs to delete his twitter account because clearly he cant help but react to negative comments like an adult and a professional.

Huge meltdown and its all between the ears

Agreed. I hope he can rebound, wouldn't even be shocked to see the Jays try and trade him.

Jamiecballer
10-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Now I'm talking completely and strictly from a wins and losses perspective. I know that W-L is a terrible, horrid stat and I hate its use in discussions such as those made for Cy Young candidates, but regardless of all of that, this is still very curious to me.

From the start of the season till June 22 Ricky Romero's W-L Record:

8 Wins, 1 Loss (0.889 Win-%)

Then he met the Red Sox on June 27, five days later. His record from then till the end of the season:

1 Win, 13 Losses (0.071 Win-%)

Talking from a strictly traditional stat perspective, and more specifically wins and losses, is this the biggest meltdown ever? Has anyone ever done so good to start and done so horrendous to finish? Has it ever been done in reverse (terrible start, amazing finish)? Again, I'm talking strictly in terms of wins and losses here.

Oh and in-before someone only reads the word "meltdown" in the title and goes straight to mentioning Tim Lincecum :laugh2:

what's the point in looking at the w-l record and ignoring how well he was pitching?

miller74
10-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Agreed. I hope he can rebound, wouldn't even be shocked to see the Jays try and trade him.

can't imagine AA trades him when his value is at its all time low, i think he rebounds next year

jon32
10-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Ya......he just plain ol suck dick this past season. Ya know hes a good pitcher, so hopefully its just one of those years. I dont think he lost velocity or anything ? just seemed like horrible pitch selection and bad command .

Vixious
10-19-2012, 12:30 PM
what's the point in looking at the w-l record and ignoring how well he was pitching?

I was curious to know if this has ever happened before, it seems extraordinary for all the wrong reasons. And how "well he was pitching"? What? Are we talking about the same guy here?

sexicano31
10-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Holy **** look at his months

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=romerri01&year=2012&t=p#month_extra

Vixious
10-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Yup it's ridiculous. That's what I was going off of.

jonnydanger1
10-19-2012, 02:57 PM
I haven't been here all that long, but I know if you try to analyze a pitchers performance solely wins/losses you are going to get **** and rightfully so.

Jays Claw
10-19-2012, 04:40 PM
No, I agree. In terms of pure numbers, I personally think he's been doing horribly since 2011. 2010 is starting to look like an outlier from which he has shown huge decline in each of the past two years. I'm still curious though if something like this has ever happened before. It's remarkable to me, especially given the fact that the Jays had a top 3 offense going a long way into the season. I know wins and losses are horrible methods of measurement but I've never seen one player hit such opposite extremes in one season.

I'm not sure why you think that as Romero had an outstanding 2011 season. He had a respectable 7.12 K/9, 3.80 xFIP, crazy good LD% of 14.2% and GB/FB of 1.76. That season (and the year prior) pretty much cemented him as the staff ace going into 2012. No one really knows what happened to him stuff-wise and mechanically as it seemed it was all there. All his issues were without question located in his head. He had zero confidence, and wasn't really communicating with anyone during games in the dugout which resulted in his numbers blowing up - specifically his LD% (20.1%), GB/FB (2.03), & LOB% (67.4% from the near 80% he had in 2011).

He's definitely no ace IMO. If AA manages to bring in a couple of front-line SP's this winter, it would allow Romero to be pushed back into being the #4 SP of the staff (where he belongs).

Rivera
10-19-2012, 04:47 PM
see jon lester from last season to this season

but wow damn romero

tp13baby
10-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Nothing comes close to Ubaldo Jimenez during the 2010 campaign. He pitched well the previous year. In his first 12 starts
11-0 with a .93 ERA

15-1 2.20 era

19-8 2.88 era Missed out on the playoffs. Honestly it was worse then the stats entailed.

dballss
10-20-2012, 05:27 AM
closer went down, jose went down, 3 starters went down with 2 having season ending injuries...he had a lot to carry, but ya he had a horrible meltdown

Jamiecballer
10-20-2012, 02:56 PM
I was curious to know if this has ever happened before, it seems extraordinary for all the wrong reasons. And how "well he was pitching"? What? Are we talking about the same guy here?

no, same guy. he wasn't pitching particularly well when he was 8-1 either.

Victimize
10-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Although not purely based upon W/L's, James McDonald is a candidate this season

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=mcdonja03&year=&t=p#month

Looked like an ace the first half, and second half below average at best.

Vixious
10-21-2012, 11:55 AM
no, same guy. he wasn't pitching particularly well when he was 8-1 either.

Right, I misunderstood your post to think you said he was pitching well, when he very much was not.