PDA

View Full Version : Building a franchise

Ebbs
10-18-2012, 06:08 PM
If you were purchasing a team and starting from scratch what would be your natural progressions?

Lets say you get the #1 overall pick in a loaded draft class with a premium 2-way wing, elite two way traditional point guard, a hybrid point guard with a great scoring touch, an elite offensive four with a solid defensive/rebounding game, a physically dominant center with limited range.

Who do you take to be the face of your fresh franchise?

You have to hire a GM and a coach who are you looking to pick up/interview for the jobs.

What free agents would you be targetting this off season?

phlp_bj
10-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Depends on the team I buy I guess. I'm guessing I'll be purchasing a team that has been doing pretty bad in recent years with poor attendance records and really bad players in a poor market. I'll just use the Bobcats in my example since I assume they'll get the number 1 pick every year.

I buy the team. My first order of business would be to strip the entire front office + coaching staff. I personally would want a new regime in to create a new atmosphere. With that said though, I would conduct interviews to see who I can keep around in the front office. Would like some familiarity going forward. As Owner of the Bobcats, I would fire Dunlap and Cho automatically. GM candidates I would target would be: Donnie Walsh, Mike Zarren, or Tom Penn. Walsh for obvious reasons, but Zarren and Penn because they use advanced statistics. The league is slowly changing. Teams are using a lot of advanced stats nowdays. Zarren would be my top choice if Walsh declines.

Coach wise, I would go with an experienced coach that can attract FA's and bring in a win now mentality. The Bobcats have sucked and rebuilt for long enough. We are looking for a quick turnaround like the Celtics did when they acquired Ray and KG. Guys I have in mind for the job are: Jerry Sloan, Stan Van Gundy, Jeff Van Gundy, and Mike D'antoni. I am leaning towards the Van Gundy's or Sloan. These are big name coaches that will attract major FA's.

Draft. I would select the physically dominant center with the 1st pick. I want to build my team from the inside out. Dominant centers come by every now and then. Guys like Shaq/Dwight/Wilt don't come by everyday, so I want a guy who will be a force in the paint. I can always work with him on his inside game by finding someone to help him.

Free Agency: Since I have a win now mentality, I would try recruiting the following guys:
CP3, Harden, Iggy, Ellis, Marion, and Millsap. Realistically, I think we can land Ellis, and Iggy. Then I would just sign some quality bench guys.

Trade: With my win now mentality for a title, I will mortgage some of my future for older vets now. I would explore trade options for Josh Smith and James Harden. Both are viable candidates to be dealt this season and I'm sure we could nab one of them with some of our future 1sts and young guys.

Potential lineup on opening day:

PG: Chauncey Billups/Mo Williams
SG: Monta Ellis/Ben Gordon
SF: Andre Iguodala/Shawn Marion
PF: Josh Smith/Lamar Odom
C: 1st pick/Emeka Okafor

Why did I just do all this? I have a paper to write. Screw you ebbs.

JasonJohnHorn
10-19-2012, 12:17 AM
I need more details on the center and the power forward. It sounds like I would take the power forward though and just move him to center... lol... he's a solid defender and rebounder, and he can score... that's my guy. Tim Duncan.

*Silver&Black*
10-19-2012, 12:33 AM
I need more details on the center and the power forward. It sounds like I would take the power forward though and just move him to center... lol... he's a solid defender and rebounder, and he can score... that's my guy. Tim Duncan.

This. Either the PF or Center, depending on more info. "Elite" PF with solid defense and rebounding sounds like a Duncan type.

Dade County
10-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Whoever is Tim Duncan or LBJ/KD

And my 1st priority is to get that 2nd star... The year after.

Then I can start to build my team, and that 1st coach I hired to baby sit is gone too. I would hire Larry brown, Tom Thibodeau or Jerry" Sloan.

Then I would go to Nike and give them two hundred million dollars... Nike will in 1 years time, will offer contracts to my two stars, 100 million dollars each :)

Nike commercials will give the illusion that my two Super Stars have a Globel reach; from that point on all i have to do is wait for that phone call from Mr. Stern, and the rest is history.

4 finals appearances, my team wins two championships, 1 of the loses was legit and the other one... umm, lets just say, we do a Lbj.

Ebbs
10-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Depends on the team I buy I guess. I'm guessing I'll be purchasing a team that has been doing pretty bad in recent years with poor attendance records and really bad players in a poor market. I'll just use the Bobcats in my example since I assume they'll get the number 1 pick every year.

I buy the team. My first order of business would be to strip the entire front office + coaching staff. I personally would want a new regime in to create a new atmosphere. With that said though, I would conduct interviews to see who I can keep around in the front office. Would like some familiarity going forward. As Owner of the Bobcats, I would fire Dunlap and Cho automatically. GM candidates I would target would be: Donnie Walsh, Mike Zarren, or Tom Penn. Walsh for obvious reasons, but Zarren and Penn because they use advanced statistics. The league is slowly changing. Teams are using a lot of advanced stats nowdays. Zarren would be my top choice if Walsh declines.

Coach wise, I would go with an experienced coach that can attract FA's and bring in a win now mentality. The Bobcats have sucked and rebuilt for long enough. We are looking for a quick turnaround like the Celtics did when they acquired Ray and KG. Guys I have in mind for the job are: Jerry Sloan, Stan Van Gundy, Jeff Van Gundy, and Mike D'antoni. I am leaning towards the Van Gundy's or Sloan. These are big name coaches that will attract major FA's.

Draft. I would select the physically dominant center with the 1st pick. I want to build my team from the inside out. Dominant centers come by every now and then. Guys like Shaq/Dwight/Wilt don't come by everyday, so I want a guy who will be a force in the paint. I can always work with him on his inside game by finding someone to help him.

Free Agency: Since I have a win now mentality, I would try recruiting the following guys:
CP3, Harden, Iggy, Ellis, Marion, and Millsap. Realistically, I think we can land Ellis, and Iggy. Then I would just sign some quality bench guys.

Trade: With my win now mentality for a title, I will mortgage some of my future for older vets now. I would explore trade options for Josh Smith and James Harden. Both are viable candidates to be dealt this season and I'm sure we could nab one of them with some of our future 1sts and young guys.

Potential lineup on opening day:

PG: Chauncey Billups/Mo Williams
SG: Monta Ellis/Ben Gordon
SF: Andre Iguodala/Shawn Marion
PF: Josh Smith/Lamar Odom
C: 1st pick/Emeka Okafor

Why did I just do all this? I have a paper to write. Screw you ebbs.

Wow. Good for you. Thanks for taking the time.

I'm honestly surprised with lack of progress the cats have made since their inagural season. I'm also surprised Sloan is still jobless.

That's a damn good team assuming you could actually land all that. Although for a brand new team with probably limited support you have a big payroll now and essentially need to win soon as you would have stripped yourself of all forseeable future assets.

The Power forward would be something like Dirk ceiling, Webber iin the middle, Bosh as the floor hard to say as he is a rookie. He isn't going to dominate the rebounding department from day 1. He will be above average though. He will how ever be a capable #1 option on offense.

The center has a Shaq ceiling, Parish middle, and Zo basement. He will anchor a team he may never dominate the league or he might be the force everyone is talking about.

The hybrid guard is a Iverson, Westbrook, Steve Francis candidate.

The wing is a Tracy McGrady, Scottie Pippen, Grant Hill candidate.

The point guard is a Isaiah Thomas, Gary Payton, Deron Williams candidate.

This. Either the PF or Center, depending on more info. "Elite" PF with solid defense and rebounding sounds like a Duncan type.

Duncan was pretty near elite as a rebounder/defender. So you won't get a Duncan here.

Whoever is Tim Duncan or LBJ/KD

And my 1st priority is to get that 2nd star... The year after.

Then I can start to build my team, and that 1st coach I hired to baby sit is gone too. I would hire Larry brown, Tom Thibodeau or Jerry" Sloan.

Then I would go to Nike and give them two hundred million dollars... Nike will in 1 years time, will offer contracts to my two stars, 100 million dollars each :)

Nike commercials will give the illusion that my two Super Stars have a Globel reach; from that point on all i have to do is wait for that phone call from Mr. Stern, and the rest is history.

4 finals appearances, my team wins two championships, 1 of the loses was legit and the other one... umm, lets just say, we do a Lbj.

Lol well optimistic.