PDA

View Full Version : Teams with cap space for 2013-14

Manimal
10-18-2012, 09:58 AM
http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/rockets.jsp

As you can see in the above link the Rockets have a lot of cap space for next season. I see them making a run at Harden and Josh Smith. A line-up of

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Smith
Asik

That's a playoff team.

Gram
10-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Detroit will have a lotta room, even more if they amnesty CV.

Manimal
10-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Detroit will have a lotta room, even more if they amnesty CV.

It will depend on the Stuckey and Villanueva contracts.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/pistons.jsp

Their contracts next year have some kinda options. I can't tell what options they are though. I am color blind.

DoMeFavors
10-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Harden doesnt make a team a playoff team..he cant even start on his team

Manimal
10-18-2012, 10:07 AM

James Harden and Josh Smith with a good supporting cast = Playoff team.

Aleksandar
10-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Projecting a starting lineup in a few years is a long shot.

Some of the projected starters will turn out to be busts, some of the underrated will emerge as starters.

king4day
10-18-2012, 10:11 AM

That's by design at this point. He's going to get a max deal if he reaches free agency and will be the piece teams build around.
He doesn't start but he plays starters minutes.

Manimal
10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Yeah, but still. I'd rather do what if's with future scenarios.

Gram
10-18-2012, 10:14 AM

:facepalm:

king4day
10-18-2012, 10:16 AM

As you can see in the above link the Rockets have a lot of cap space for next season. I see them making a run at Harden and Josh Smith. A line-up of

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Smith
Asik

That's a playoff team.

Suns fans are interested in the same players. We don't have the same cap space though. Harden would get the max. Smith, if he has a really good year, will too. Your team could be pretty fun to watch though.

Manimal
10-18-2012, 10:18 AM
http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

Another interesting scenario is the Spurs, Ginobli and Jackson's contracts are up. Ginobili has hinted at retiring too. Could Spur's make a run at Ginobli II(Harden)?

Manimal
10-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Suns fans are interested in the same players. We don't have the same cap space though. Harden would get the max. Smith, if he has a really good year, will too. Your team could be pretty fun to watch though.

Oh, I'm not a Rockets fan. I am just bored and looking at scenarios. I root for the Nuggets.

mike44
10-18-2012, 10:24 AM
It'll be hard to get Smith since the Hawks will have the most cap space in the league I think. Unless they dont want him anymore or go for different players.

NYKnickFanatic
10-18-2012, 10:26 AM

I can't ever tell if you're being serious or not.

Manimal
10-18-2012, 10:29 AM
It'll be hard to get Smith since the Hawks will have the most cap space in the league I think. Unless they dont want him anymore or go for different players.

It will be hard, Hawks have the advantage of offering a 5 year deal. But Houston has enough assets to make a sign and trade deal. With Danny Ferry looking to reboot and build a Spurs/OKC style franchise.

Ebbs
10-18-2012, 10:46 AM

I can't ever tell if you're being serious or not.

This. We should just stop replying. I feel he is just trolling. I think Harden is hella overrated but he is more than good enough to push a competitive team to a playoff squad.

DoMeFavors
10-18-2012, 10:49 AM
That's by design at this point. He's going to get a max deal if he reaches free agency and will be the piece teams build around.
He doesn't start but he plays starters minutes.

star players dont come off the bench its simple as that, Harden will probably get a big deal but he doesnt deserve it. He isnt a go to guy. He isnt the best player on a playoff team. He plays with a top 3 player and a top guard.
Harden is another guy that PSD is in love with but he is very overated.

Ill21
10-18-2012, 11:09 AM

Harden is the 3rd best sg in the Nba behind wade and Kobe

DoMeFavors
10-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Harden is the 3rd best sg in the Nba behind wade and Kobe

What makes him good?

Ill21
10-18-2012, 11:21 AM
What makes him good?

Ability to shoot the 3 and drive to the basket. Also an average defender and a good passer.

Cal827
10-18-2012, 11:23 AM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

DoMeFavors
10-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Ability to shoot the 3 and drive to the basket. Also an average defender and a good passer.

And Joe Johnson doesnt do that? So what makes Harden better than Joe?

Ill21
10-18-2012, 11:30 AM

Harden is more consistent

SteBO
10-18-2012, 11:31 AM
....and efficient. I'm not sure where the debate is here.

DoMeFavors
10-18-2012, 11:32 AM

Joes been dominating for years, he is a better passer. Harden has been a good player for like a year. You cant put Harden on the Hawks and them be a playoff team like Joe did.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Harden > any sg on your team. And mine for that matter

DoMeFavors
10-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Harden > any sg on your team. And mine for that matter

Obviously your team but not mine.

Can Harden post up like Joe? Can Harden shoot off the dribble like Joe? Can Harden make the all star team? Can Harden start games?

I Rock Shaqs
10-18-2012, 11:38 AM

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Smith
Asik

That's a playoff team.

I didn't know a 5 man roster could get you into the playoffs.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Obviously your team but not mine.

Can Harden post up like Joe? Can Harden shoot off the dribble like Joe? Can Harden make the all star team? Can Harden start games?

So I guess Manu was trash too lol. JJ has done nothing that harden won't do in his future years and is already off to a better start if u compare careers .

Aleksandar
10-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Wow! I didn't realize Spurs have cap space, I wonder what they do with it. I'm guessing their management will pull off a good move..

MrfadeawayJB
10-18-2012, 11:54 AM

ignorance at its finest :facepalm:

Bravo95
10-18-2012, 12:08 PM
You cant put Harden on the Hawks and them be a playoff team like Joe did.
Same results.

Joe at his peak was maybe a Top 15 player, which was like 5 years ago when the East was down.

DoMeFavors
10-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Harden could have a similar career like Joe.

Harden is a SG on one of the best teams in the league the OKC.
Joe was a SG on one of the best teams in the league the Suns.

Harden will probably get an offer to another team similar to Joe with the Hawks. We will see if Harden can do what Joe did.

albertajaysfan
10-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Harden could have a similar career like Joe.

Harden is a SG on one of the best teams in the league the OKC.
Joe was a SG on one of the best teams in the league the Suns.

Harden will probably get an offer to another team similar to Joe with the Hawks. We will see if Harden can do what Joe did.

What exactly did Joe do? Get a fairly solid team to the second round every year?

It will be interesting to see how the Hawks do this year. That will show just how valuable Joe was to them.

Most of the time the stuff you say I just laugh at. The odd time you make a valid point. I agree Harden is overrated on PSD but you are the ultimate homer which is why most people on here treat you like you are 12.

Stop being such a homer and be objective about other players in the rest of the league and people might listen to you.

Manimal
10-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Wow way to turn this into Harden vs JJ.

Bravo95
10-18-2012, 12:36 PM
What exactly did Joe do? Get a fairly solid team to the second round every year?

It will be interesting to see how the Hawks do this year. That will show just how valuable Joe was to them.
Considering all the teams that can't get out of the first round or currently have a ECSF ceiling, he (and the team) deserve a little more credit than that. Still, it doesn't make much sense to judge the deal by the performance of this year's team. It's basically an entirely new roster, with many of the players in the final year of their contracts, including Josh and coach Drew. The season is kind of a wash regardless. If they make another playoff run, cool. If not, oh well, I'll take the better picks and be glad they're finally out of Cap Hell so Ferry can hit the reset button.

ManRam
10-18-2012, 01:48 PM
The Magic could have as little as 29 million dollars in contracts. They could very well move Harrington, Baby or Afflalo too, freeing up parts of another 6-7.5 million.

I'd imagine they sign Chris Paul, James Harden and Dwight Howard.

Manimal
10-18-2012, 01:54 PM
The Magic could have as little as 29 million dollars in contracts. They could very well move Harrington, Baby or Afflalo too, freeing up parts of another 6-7.5 million.

I'd imagine they sign Chris Paul, James Harden and Dwight Howard.

Here's the thing, they can't offer Howard a 5 year deal. Advantage Lakers.

I am not sure whether the Clippers can offer CP3 a 5 year deal anymore since they used it on Blake Griffin. Or is that only for players coming off rookie scale contracts? I'll need to look this over. If they can't offer a 5 year deal, the CP3 should be in play in this FA market.

Harden is a free for all, since it's well known that OKC can't offer him a 5 year deal nor can they afford to match if someone else offer's the max.

ManRam
10-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Here's the thing, they can't offer Howard a 5 year deal. Advantage Lakers.

I am not sure whether the Clippers can offer CP3 a 5 year deal anymore since they used it on Blake Griffin. Or is that only for players coming off rookie scale contracts? I'll need to look this over. If they can't offer a 5 year deal, the CP3 should be in play in this FA market.

Harden is a free for all, since it's well known that OKC can't offer him a 5 year deal nor can they afford to match if someone else offer's the max.

I was being completely serious. /sarcasm

No star is coming to Orlando via FA any time soon.

smith&wesson
10-18-2012, 02:03 PM
i dont see lin taking a team far but thats just me.

harden+smith would be nice on any team.

Manimal
10-18-2012, 02:04 PM
I was being completely serious. /sarcasm

No star is coming to Orlando via FA any time soon.

I got your point about Orlando, but you did bring the CP situation to my awareness. I will have to look this up.

Also money talks man. A tax free state offering big money with not so demanding fans would always be attractive to free agents.

Manimal
10-18-2012, 02:05 PM
i dont see lin taking a team far but thats just me.

harden+smith would be nice on any team.

Harden + Smith + Lin, not good enough?

Hawkeye15
10-18-2012, 02:23 PM

Harden is a better player than Joe Johnson. More efficient, better isolation player, better ball handler, and doesn't shrink the second the playoffs start.

Stinkyoutsider
10-18-2012, 02:32 PM
I don't think the Rockets will necessarily be a playoff team with that lineup (especially with Asik as your starter) but they may be in the running.

Right now, until I see Harden play better defensively, I wouldn't build my entire team around him (with him getting a max deal). He's worth $10+ a year, but I'm not about to break the bank on him just yet.

I don't think Smith is really a player to build an entire team around right now either? Very good on both sides of the ball but he should continue to improve on his jumpshot. Other phases of his game are outstanding right now.

I would rather go the way of the Pistons (core of Hamilton, Billups, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Prince...). They should spend less than the max to get Harden, get Smith, and get another player or 2 who can create their own shot. I would focus on finding a player who could draw a double team.

If all this happens and Asik improves a great deal (very good defensively but that's it), then I'd be ready to say that the Rockets can make a run in the West (even if the West continues to be as strong as it is).

Manimal
10-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Harden is a better player than Joe Johnson. More efficient, better isolation player, better ball handler, and doesn't shrink the second the playoffs start.

Here's the thing, Harden never commanded a double team like Joe Johnson did in Atlanta. The double is always on Durant or Westbrook.

It's easier when you are the third option on a team as compared to the main man.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Here's the thing, Harden never commanded a double team like Joe Johnson did in Atlanta. The double is always on Durant or Westbrook.

It's easier when you are the third option on a team as compared to the main man.

So, Harden suffers in your eyes because he two complete beasts on his team, where Joe didn't? Besides, I watched Atlanta plenty, Johnson got no more attention that Harden does, you just can't send help at Harden that hard, or you get killed by Durant and Westy. This is probably why the Thunder are far superior to anything the Hawks had the last 6 years.

More efficient, better scorer, better rebounder, higher offensive rating by a lot, better ballhandler. The one thing I give JJ is his outside shooting, and his ability to limit turnovers. Other than that, Harden wins virtually every battle. Harden, while we don't have a ton of evidence yet, also doesn't see his game fall off a cliff when the playoffs start, outside the Miami series, who game planned very well for the 22 year old. Harden's PER in the playoffs is 19.1, Johnson's 13.8. Harden's TS% come playoff time is 61.4, Johnson's 49.5. Harden's offensive rating come playoff time is 120, Johnson's 101.

Even if you don't see a big difference in their regular season games (I do see a difference), come playoff time, the comparison dies.

Manimal
10-18-2012, 04:05 PM
I am not arguing the statistics. All I'm making a case for is "Can Harden do it as the main man?"

Joe Johnson couldn't get it done at Atlanta, but Harden is yet to be put to that test.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2012, 04:14 PM
I am not arguing the statistics. All I'm making a case for is "Can Harden do it as the main man?"

Joe Johnson couldn't get it done at Atlanta, but Harden is yet to be put to that test.

Fair enough. I am interested to see that as well, though I doubt it happens anytime soon. I would also argue that Johnson has not been his teams best player for a while however.

29$JerZ
10-18-2012, 04:17 PM
If the Nets had Harden instead of Joe J they'd have a legit shot at being a top 3 team in the East.

Joe J is barely top 5 at his own position.

I don't know if Thunder will really let him go. They should hold on to him at all cost.
Houston has a shot to be really good if someone slips to them.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2012, 04:19 PM
If the Nets had Harden instead of Joe J they'd have a legit shot at being a top 3 team in the East.

Joe J is barely top 5 at his own position.

did you read that insider article on "Where have all the good SG's gone"?

In reality, Johnson probably is a top 5 SG, but its such a weak position now. Again though, his complete disappearing act every time the playoffs start is concerning. You can't trust him at all.

Bravo95
10-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Fair enough. I am interested to see that as well, though I doubt it happens anytime soon. I would also argue that Johnson has not been his teams best player for a while however.
IMO, Al and Josh both passed him around that '09-'10 season.

29$JerZ
10-18-2012, 04:28 PM
did you read that insider article on "Where have all the good SG's gone"?

In reality, Johnson probably is a top 5 SG, but its such a weak position now. Again though, his complete disappearing act every time the playoffs start is concerning. You can't trust him at all.

Don't you have to be an insider to read those? I haven't read it.

My gripe with Joe J is despite it being the weakest position in the NBA he still isn't a Top 3 SG in my eyes.

You had Brandon Roy who was clearly > Joe J done with his injury and Joe J still isn't an obvious top 3-4 SG.

He is #5 for me, I still think Wade, Kobe, Manu and Harden are better. I'd even argue Eric Gordon is on par with Joe J if he can play an entire season healthy.

I think he's a good player but for his contract and all the stats I don't see how people view him as a Top 3 player at his position.

Manimal
10-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Ok Eric Gordon is pushing it. And don't even bring up the contract thing. Have you seen Gordon's new contract? For a guy that played 9 games last season?

And I'm seriously beginning to feel Joe Johnson is underrated. I agree that Wade, Kobe, Manu and Roy when fit are better. I'll make a homer pick in Iguodala. There is a case for Harden too. But Eric Gordon? Now you're just clowning Joe Johnson.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Ok Eric Gordon is pushing it. And don't even bring up the contract thing. Have you seen Gordon's new contract? For a guy that played 9 games last season?

And I'm seriously beginning to feel Joe Johnson is underrated. I agree that Wade, Kobe, Manu and Roy when fit are better. I'll make a homer pick in Iguodala. There is a case for Harden too. But Eric Gordon? Now you're just clowning Joe Johnson.

I just can't get past his monster fall off come playoffs man. I can't. Johnson literally regresses into an average player in the playoffs, outside a year in Phoenix.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2012, 05:16 PM

Yeah, Gordon needs to prove he even belongs in the conversation of elite SG's to begin with. I mean, he didn't even play last year really.

Wade
Kobe
Manu
Harden
Iggy

I would take these 5 over Johnson, and I won't touch on Roy until we see what those knees look like, and how he plays.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2012, 05:17 PM
IMO, Al and Josh both passed him around that '09-'10 season.

yep.

Manimal
10-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Did I call this or what?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-28-2012, 05:48 AM
Did I call this or what?

u said next season

N3TS
10-28-2012, 05:57 AM
They will have room to sign a free agent, but Harden is going to get the Max if Houston wants to keep him. I don't see them really being a force even if they get Josh Smith. The team has question marks all over it, Harden is the main focus on offense now, he doesn't have the luxury of playing with Westbrook or Durant and I haven't seen enough of Lin or Asik to convince me that they are worth the salaries they were give in the offseason.

Guppyfighter
10-28-2012, 06:33 AM
They will have room to sign a free agent, but Harden is going to get the Max if Houston wants to keep him. I don't see them really being a force even if they get Josh Smith. The team has question marks all over it, Harden is the main focus on offense now, he doesn't have the luxury of playing with Westbrook or Durant and I haven't seen enough of Lin or Asik to convince me that they are worth the salaries they were give in the offseason.

The Rockets will be fine. They will be a slightly below average team this year and they will continue improving.

Heediot
10-28-2012, 06:56 AM

Learn some basketball dynamics.

The Thunder already have 2 dominant perimeter scorers starting and lack perimeter scoring off the bench if Harden starts. It was a luxury to have him come off the bench. It's nothing against his ability. It was better for the team especially with two volume scorers starting.

Heediot
10-28-2012, 06:59 AM
star players dont come off the bench its simple as that, Harden will probably get a big deal but he doesnt deserve it. He isnt a go to guy. He isnt the best player on a playoff team. He plays with a top 3 player and a top guard.
Harden is another guy that PSD is in love with but he is very overated.

So he makes the USA team, how bad can he be?

Heediot
10-28-2012, 07:00 AM
What makes him good?

Court vision, handle, his ability to take it to the hole and get to the line. He can shoot the ball. Has good stats and advanced stats if you want to do some research.