PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith Will Not Sign Extension With Hawks This Season

JNA17
10-17-2012, 11:23 PM
The last year of Josh Smith’s contract is coming up, but don’t expect the Hawks forward and his team to be talking extension details over the course of ’12-13. According to the Daily News, Smith is planning on working out his following deal next summer: “Josh Smith has told the Hawks that he isn’t going to sign an extension during the season. He’d rather wait to become a free agent, when he can get a five-year deal. An extension would limit him to a three-year deal, according to the new CBA rules. New GM Danny Ferry has upwards of 10 players who could be free agents at season’s end.”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/10/josh-smith-wont-sign-extension-with-hawks-this-season/

There is no way he's resigning with Atlanta. Hawks better trade this guy before the deadline.

Guppyfighter
10-17-2012, 11:24 PM
He won't sign during the season because it would only be for three years. If he waits, he will get five years from them.

ugafan
10-17-2012, 11:25 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/10/josh-smith-wont-sign-extension-with-hawks-this-season/

There is no way he's resigning with Atlanta. Hawks better trade this guy before the deadline.

You have no idea what you're talking about. He's waiting for a longer deal. Not re-signing during the season ≠not re-signing.

JerseysFinest
10-17-2012, 11:26 PM
It's more beneficial for him to wait and sign an extension in the summer.

Makes no sense for him to leave Atlanta. He's the star now that Joe Johnson plays for Brooklyn, and that's what he wanted. Plus he's from Atlanta, he's putting on for his city every night. I'd really be shocked if he didn't re-sign with the Hawks.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-17-2012, 11:26 PM
If Pau Gasol plays like crap the way he has the last 2 yrs, and the Lakers are not where they would like to be mid-season, I would not be surprised for the Hawks and Lakers to re-visit that JSmoove for Pau deal at the trade deadline.

mdm692
10-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Interesting to see where he will end up. I think ATL will try to sign a real center this off-season to pair with Horford.

JNA17
10-17-2012, 11:28 PM
It's more beneficial for him to wait and sign an extension in the summer.

Makes no sense for him to leave Atlanta. He's the star now that Joe Johnson plays for Brooklyn, and that's what he wanted. Plus he's from Atlanta, he's putting on for his city every night. I'd really be shocked if he didn't re-sign with the Hawks.

True about the benefits, but somehow I still don't see him resigning there.

Isn't Lebron from Cleveland? I'm not sure that even matters anymore lol.

tapajafri
10-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Probably because they told him they'll pay him more if he can actually hit the broad side of a barn from more than 5 feet out.

He obviously can't resign since he's incapable of doing that.

Dade County
I can see him signing with the 76ers or Boston next off season.

I can see him getting traded to Denver or the Lakers if things get shaky with Howard in L.A ( Howard and Smith are really good friends )

mdm692
If Pau Gasol plays like crap the way he has the last 2 yrs, and the Lakers are not where they would like to be mid-season, I would not be surprised for the Hawks and Lakers to re-visit that JSmoove for Pau deal at the trade deadline.

Do the LAL still got the amnesty clause??

Dade County
10-17-2012, 11:31 PM

This

Dade County
10-17-2012, 11:32 PM

I think so

JerseysFinest
10-17-2012, 11:33 PM
True about the benefits, but somehow I still don't see him resigning there.

Isn't Lebron from Cleveland? I'm not sure that even matters anymore lol.

I guess you have a point about LeBron :eyebrow:, but we all knew he was leaving the Cavaliers.

I think Josh truly wants to be a Hawk and really embraces being the face of the franchise. That's just my opinion though, maybe he'll leave if he wants.

LakersMaster24
10-17-2012, 11:37 PM

Yes.

DoMeFavors
10-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Joe is going to recruit him, have fun taking Humphries or you will lose him for nothing in free agency. Josh Smith will be a Net

JNA17
10-17-2012, 11:41 PM

Smith and Howard together 0_0. Might as well put a brick wall on the paint. :laugh:

Bravo95
10-17-2012, 11:42 PM
He won't be traded during the season, Post #4 outlined it.

However, some of your teams might be desperate for guards by the trade deadline and Danny Ferry would be happy to deal you one for the low low price of your 2013 first round pick. :cool:

Stunner
Boozer and picks for j smoove lets go

Bravo95
lol

hawks4
10-17-2012, 11:43 PM

Josh has said he likes what Danny Ferry has done with the team and is excited to see what direction the team goes in. He's the hometown hero in Atlanta. He even has the old "pac-man" logo tattooed on his arm. That speaks volumes to me.

I still don't think that's a good trade for the Hawks. Would be the first bad decision by Danny Ferry IMO.

ugafan
10-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Joe is going to recruit him, have fun taking Humphries or you will lose him for nothing in free agency. Josh Smith will be a Net

He doesn't even like Joe lol

MrfadeawayJB
10-17-2012, 11:53 PM
I think he will wait it out, get a crazy contract like the one ATL gave to Joe Johnson, then stay in atlanta

cuttydoesit6
10-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Lakers or Bulls

dark horse the sixers

L8ker4lyfe
10-18-2012, 12:16 AM
cuttydoesit6 said it Best "Lakers or Bulls"... thats if he wants to compete for a title

mdm692
10-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Yes.
Thought so but Gasols contract is UGLY I can see them try to make a trade for J-Smoove. Probably MWP and whatever picks they have left lol. Either way it wouldn't be the first time they raped a team for All Star talent. Whatever happens I just don't see Pau staying longer than this season.

PurpleJesus
10-18-2012, 12:32 AM
This is something the NBA should have tried to fix during the lockout...the guy can sign now, with the team who has him, but only for 3 years...yet, he can sign with another club for 5 years if he waits. It should be the other way around, so that teams have a higher chance of retaining their own players.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-18-2012, 12:34 AM

They do, but they can't use it until next summer. And I think championship or no championship, I do see the Lakers using it as the repeater tax will go into effect start next season.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-18-2012, 12:37 AM
I still don't think that's a good trade for the Hawks. Would be the first bad decision by Danny Ferry IMO.

I can see a 3rd team getting involved like Chicago who's been wanting to get Pau for like the last 2 yrs.

Lakers get: Josh Smith

Bulls get: Pau Gasol

Hawks get: Joakim Noah + Taj Gibson

Lakers Starting 5: Nash-Bryant-WorldPeace-Smith-Howard

Bulls Starting 5: Rose-Hamilton-Deng-Boozer-Gasol

Ebbs
10-18-2012, 12:38 AM

Ok if homer says so

ACanadian
10-18-2012, 12:38 AM

This guy man, don't you have a job or something

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Smith and Howard together 0_0. Might as well put a brick wall on the paint. :laugh:

Don't forget Metta World War.

ThunderousDemon
10-18-2012, 12:40 AM

Now where have I heard this before, hmmmmmm.........

PurpleJesus
10-18-2012, 12:42 AM
DoMeFavors gets in the way of good comments yet again.

Bulls_fan90
10-18-2012, 12:45 AM
I can see a 3rd team getting involved like Chicago who's been wanting to get Pau for like the last 2 yrs.

Lakers get: Josh Smith

Bulls get: Pau Gasol

Hawks get: Joakim Noah + Taj Gibson

Lakers Starting 5: Nash-Bryant-WorldPeace-Smith-Howard

Bulls Starting 5: Rose-Hamilton-Deng-Boozer-Gasol

Why in the world would the Bulls do that?

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Why in the world would the Bulls do that?

Why wouldn't they?

You're telling me that they wouldn't give up an injury prone Noah + a young Gibson for a perennial all-star and multiple time NBA Champion in Pau Gasol who can help the young Rose and his supporting cast to win now?

kblo247
10-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Why wouldn't they?

You're telling me that they wouldn't give up an injury prone Noah + a young Gibson for a perennial all-star and multiple time NBA Champion in Pau Gasol who can help the young Rose and his supporting cast to win now?

Pau and Boozer are eye rape on D though, and if they didnt get raped, Thibs would deserve a statue built for him. Pau for Amare has a better chance happening if Amare and Melo don't click than Pau for Smith IMO

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Pau and Boozer are eye rape on D though. Pau for Amare has a better chance happening if Amare and Melo don't click than Pau for Smith IMO

Pau for Amare is really possible especially if the Lakers want to see that Nash-Amare reunion, although I don't know if the Lakers want to get tied down with Amare's contract the next 3-4 yrs when they're expecting to make a big splash in free agency in 2 or 3 yrs to get that next superstar when Kobe retires and is off the books.

Bulls_fan90
10-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Why wouldn't they?

Absolutely I am. And any Bulls fan with any sense would agree with me.

Why would they trade two younger guys for an ageing Pau Gasol? Makes no sense. Add the fact that Rose might even sit out the year and it's a no brainer.

Super.
10-18-2012, 12:51 AM
J-Smoove gonna come to Boston and play with this homie Rondo

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Absolutely I am. And any Bulls fan with any sense would agree with me.

Why would they trade two younger guys for an ageing Pau Gasol? Makes no sense. Add the fact that Rose might even sit out the year and it's a no brainer.

To keep a current superstar in place with that franchise, that franchise has to entice him by getting another all-star player to pair him up. The injury prone Noah and the "potential" Gibson haven't shown to play near all-star level at all.

The Bulls need to get a semi-big time name to pair with D.Rose if they want D.Rose to stay in Chicago. Do everything you can to win now and entice DRose to stay in Chi-town for many years to come.

If Chicago doesn't start winning now with Miami taking the East by the throat year after year, Rose will leave the East and join a team out West. It'll be a Bosh, LeBron, Melo, Dwight, DWill, CP3 thing all over again.

ThunderousDemon
10-18-2012, 12:56 AM

J-Smoove gonna come to Los Angeles and play with his homie Dwight. :D

kblo247
10-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Pau for Amare is really possible especially if the Lakers want to see that Nash-Amare reunion, although I don't know if the Lakers want to get tied down with Amare's contract the next 3-4 yrs when they're expecting to make a big splash in free agency in 2 or 3 yrs to get that next superstar when Kobe retires and is off the books.

They could sell the star power of Amare though to TWC and Staples to raise prices. Plus Amare still is more of a natural floor spacing 4 than Pau who is a post up C. He'd be expiring when Nash's deal ends and they know Nash and him click. I'm just saying its the only Pau deal for a name that I can see as even the Knicks could see Pau fitting in playing off Melo sort of like Kobe, and he would have the paint to himself as Tyson doesn't even try to post up score just defend and rebound

Ebbs
10-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Who wants to spend max money on this guy though serious..

Baller1
10-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Who wants to spend max money on this guy though serious..

I don't know about the max, but I'd seriously consider giving him a very nice contract. I think Smith is a really, really good player.

D-Block21-Chito
10-18-2012, 01:22 AM
To keep a current superstar in place with that franchise, that franchise has to entice him by getting another all-star player to pair him up. The injury prone Noah and the "potential" Gibson haven't shown to play near all-star level at all.

The Bulls need to get a semi-big time name to pair with D.Rose if they want D.Rose to stay in Chicago. Do everything you can to win now and entice DRose to stay in Chi-town for many years to come.

If Chicago doesn't start winning now with Miami taking the East by the throat year after year, Rose will leave the East and join a team out West. It'll be a Bosh, LeBron, Melo, Dwight, DWill, CP3 thing all over again.

Dude you never know squat about anything. Bulls will only offer boozer for paus crappy old dumb looking euro trash. U think we give up Taj and Noah? Please get real...

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Dude you never know squat about anything. Bulls will only offer boozer for paus crappy old dumb looking euro trash. U think we give up Taj and Noah? Please get real...

:laugh:

Good luck with that!

:laugh:

You paid for Boozer, you keep him. You reap what you sow! :laugh:

xcrisisx
10-18-2012, 05:16 AM

no cap

JEDean89
10-18-2012, 05:47 AM
as a nuggets fan, i would love the idea of him coming to denver to play with lawson gallo and iggy. it would probably take 3 teams but a trade of Jordan Hamilton, Wilson Chandler, Timofey Mozgoz and maybe a 1st rounder or 2. I would consider trading McGee for him also. A lineup of Lawson, Iggy, Gallo, Smith, McGee or Koufus and bench that still has depth with miller, fournier, brewer, faried, and whichever other center they keep. denver would still have picks going forward, and still have youth. perfect fit if josh smith would be willing to extend in denver.

Bulls_fan90
10-18-2012, 05:48 AM

lol. I have nothing else to add. Please stick to talking about the Lakers. ;)

kobe4thewinbang
10-18-2012, 07:05 AM
LAKERS LAKERS LAKERS LAKERS LAKERS

We have cookies.

http://i.imgur.com/tYLw6.gif

I think he's tired of rotting in "the ATL."
And frankly, I'm tired of Artest being inconsistent.
He's not the 20+ ppg guy anymore. Let him go.

Send draft picks, whatever ATL wants. We need S'moove.

YoungOne
10-18-2012, 07:42 AM
we will trade for him :)

xcrisisx
10-18-2012, 08:49 AM
we will trade for him :)

what if he doesn't resign after this season?
he needs to guarantee that first!
besides he's not the only option ;)

HowFit
10-18-2012, 09:09 AM

I can't imagine...

TyrionLannister
10-18-2012, 09:16 AM

OK, first of all, Rose has signed an extension and is now under contract until 2018, so these "years to come" ain't gonna come for awhile.

Second of all, I don't think even Thibs can turn an aging Boozer and Gasol into a quality defensive frontcourt, especially with Asik gone and Noah and Taj departing in this trade of yours.

The Bulls will have plenty of time to reload as Boozer is amnestied/comes off the books LONG before Rose's second extension is supposed to roll around.

hawks4
10-18-2012, 11:16 AM
LAKERS LAKERS LAKERS LAKERS LAKERS

We have cookies.

http://i.imgur.com/tYLw6.gif

I think he's tired of rotting in "the ATL."
And frankly, I'm tired of Artest being inconsistent.
He's not the 20+ ppg guy anymore. Let him go.

Send draft picks, whatever ATL wants. We need S'moove.

You NEED him? You guys already have Kobe, Dwight, Nash, and Pau.

Stop.

Super.
10-18-2012, 11:24 AM
J-Smoove gonna come to Los Angeles and play with his homie Dwight. :D

As plausiable as these situations are, I don't think either team has the cap :p