PDA

View Full Version : Celtics sign Leandro Barbosa

69centers
10-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Link (http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21234591/source-cs-reach-agreement-barbosa)

The Celtics have reached agreement on a one-year deal with free agent guard Leandro Barbosa, a source confirmed to WEEI. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! was the first to report the news.

Barbosa split his time last season between the Raptors and Pacers, appearing in 22 games with Indiana and the playoffs. He had his best years in Phoenix playing alongside Steve Nash when he averaged 18.1 points per game in the 2006-07 season.

The Celtics made room for the Brazilian veteran by waiving Jamar Smith and Dionte Christmas on Tuesday. Barbosa has played both guard positions and is known for providing instant offense.

celtics 34
10-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Why did the other threads get deleted?

69centers
10-17-2012, 08:36 PM
No idea. I had to post the thread twice in the C's forum, as the first one disappeared.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Celtics have a really talented bench and all around team, watch out Miami.

Hoopsadvocate
10-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Clippers have a really talents bench and all around team. Watch out Lakers.

Wes_Craven
10-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Why?

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Clippers have a really talents bench and all around team. Watch out Lakers.

llullz butt sore Heat fans, I made just one comment as the Celtics are getting to become a stronger rival to Miami as they add these type of pieces.

You scurreeedd??

xxplayerxx23
10-17-2012, 08:43 PM
He isn't a heat fan. But yeah Great depth move for the C's but they have a ton of Guards where is he going to get PT?

DoMeFavors
10-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Celtics have looked horrid in pre season, I am starting to think they might be 3rd or 4th in the division

ThunderousDemon
10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Celtics have looked horrid in pre season, I am starting to think they might be 3rd or 4th in the division

:rolleyes:

xxplayerxx23
Preseason :laugh:

KB-Pau-DH2012

#DMFsystem

69centers
10-17-2012, 08:54 PM

They haven't even put out a full roster in one of those games yet. They are right there in the first half, and always closed all preseason games with rookies. These games prove nothing.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-17-2012, 08:55 PM
As much as I absolutely hate those icky green leprechauns, gotta tip your hat off to Danny Ainge.

Lose Ray Allen, Steismma, Pietrus and JO

Bring in Terry, Lee, Jason Collins, Darko and Barbosa.

69centers
10-17-2012, 08:57 PM
96 minutes for PG and SG per game could be something like:

Rondo 36 (60)
Terry 27 (34)
Lee 22 (12)
Barbosa 12

They'll be some decreased minutes for somebody when Bradley gets back into action by January, though.

MrfadeawayJB
10-17-2012, 08:58 PM
good move i guess

Corey
10-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Depth city!

tuki274
10-17-2012, 09:13 PM

guess the lakers are screwed...they are 0-4 in the pre-season

seikou8
10-17-2012, 09:14 PM
wow nice signing and dmf is a lost cause

godolphins
10-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Celtics have a really talented bench and all around team, watch out Miami.

IraHeatBeat: Based on Leandro Barbosa's performance in the playoffs, the Heat should be, well, happy he's signing with the Celtics

ZachLowe_NBA: Barbosa is a nice pick-up as the 12th man, but that's it. Indiana essentially couldn't play him against Miami in the post-season last year.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-17-2012, 09:30 PM
IraHeatBeat: Based on Leandro Barbosa's performance in the playoffs, the Heat should be, well, happy he's signing with the Celtics

ZachLowe_NBA: Barbosa is a nice pick-up as the 12th man, but that's it. Indiana essentially couldn't play him against Miami in the post-season last year.

His performance in the playoffs as he was a mid-season acquisition and a veteran lost among young boys?

And why are all these Heat beat writers even commenting on Barbosa on their twitter feeds unless they're actually a teeny tiny bit worrisome about the signing?

JasonJohnHorn
10-17-2012, 09:35 PM
This guy is a fawking ball hog.

Chronz
10-17-2012, 09:54 PM

His performance in the playoffs as he was a mid-season acquisition and a veteran lost among young boys?

And why are all these Heat beat writers even commenting on Barbosa on their twitter feeds unless they're actually a teeny tiny bit worrisome about the signing?
They mean cuz Wade was eating his lunch but yeah they underrate him

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-17-2012, 09:56 PM
They mean cuz Wade was eating his lunch but yeah they underrate him

He's just adds more fire punch to the Celtics. He was expected to be a scoring spark for the Pacers, who at times had trouble scoring the ball. I really think Doc will utilize Barbosa really well.

JNA17
10-17-2012, 09:59 PM
very pointless signing by the celtics. They have what? 4 or 5 guards? Where is Barbosa gonna find the playing time?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-17-2012, 10:02 PM
very pointless signing by the celtics. They have what? 4 or 5 guards? Where is Barbosa gonna find the playing time?

Backup point. Bradley's injured right now and this gives them the option to play small ball if they want as well.

PacersForLife
10-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Good signing for depth, Barbosa can get out of control sometimes, though. Beware Celtics fans.

letsgobrownies7
10-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Depth city!

love it

JNA17
10-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Backup point. Bradley's injured right now and this gives them the option to play small ball if they want as well.

Ah I didn't know that.

But what happens when Bradly gets back? :p

C-Style
10-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Is it enough to get them over the Heat?

balla4life22
10-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Ah I didn't know that.

But what happens when Bradly gets back? :p

I think doc is planning on running a lot. Rondo's always wanted some athletic wings to run with, he's finally got some with lee, green, bradley and now barbosa. This adds a whole new dimension to the celtics they never had with allen. My guess is doc going to have his guards go all out and cycle them as they get tired.

unwantedplayer
10-18-2012, 12:28 AM

I will make a bet with you that they don't. Loser leaves the site forever.

kblo247
10-18-2012, 12:43 AM
They can run a 10 man rotation to not wear their guys out and with the east being weaker with no Dwight and Rose missing it won't hurt them

Rondo Terry Pierce Bass KG
Barbosa Bradley Lee Green Darko

Good offseason and since you can have 13 active guys this year you can keep the two rook bigs and Collins on the bench and dressed just in case. I don't like Boston but got to respect what Ainge did depth wise

Chronz
10-18-2012, 12:52 AM
He's just adds more fire punch to the Celtics. He was expected to be a scoring spark for the Pacers, who at times had trouble scoring the ball. I really think Doc will utilize Barbosa really well.
Nah he did fine in Indy, he was actually asked to score less in Indy than he was in Toronto, not much changed from him individually. He struggled vs Miami but I dont think that makes him someone to discount.

But how do you prevent him from having to defend Wade is my question and the point they were making. He will be a fine regular season addition, but how does he match up vs Miami on defense is his biggest problem.

NFLNBA
10-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Im surprised Barbosa went this direction. Celtics have a lot of perimeter players and wont get much time. He could have went to the Lakers for same money and gotn double the playing time on a contender. I understand the west is a lot deeper and a harder road but i would think getting more playing time with same money AND playing with Nash again would have been 1st choice. Tells me Lakers are really okay with the bench right now and they will regret that decision. Lakers need a scoring guard off the bench. Meeks is just a great spot up shooter, they need a guy who can break you down and get the the cup.

Celtics and Clippers both have to many good guards lol how they get minutes will be interesting to see., but thats def a good problem to have!

I think the Celtics matchup great with the Heat. Both teams are small. Bosh and Garnett at the center spots. I like Garnett there! Battier is so undersized at PF so Celtics need Green to use that size and win that matchup. Celtics also have a elite PG and the Heat dont have that. Cant wait to see that matchup.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Nah he did fine in Indy, he was actually asked to score less in Indy than he was in Toronto, not much changed from him individually. He struggled vs Miami but I dont think that makes him someone to discount.

But how do you prevent him from having to defend Wade is my question and the point they were making. He will be a fine regular season addition, but how does he match up vs Miami on defense is his biggest problem.

Well, the Celtics are more team defensive oriented, so Doc will get Leandrinho in those spots defensively. If you play for Doc, you better work hard, move your feet, and contest shots.

C_Mund
10-18-2012, 01:10 AM

Very good points. I have a feeling he'll be used as his shots falll in both regular and post-season. if he's hitting he's a true game changer, if not he's always worth a shot otherwise pare his minutes down

C_Mund
10-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Well, the Celtics are more team defensive oriented, so Doc will get Leandrinho in those spots defensively. If you play for Doc, you better work hard, move your feet, and contest shots.

In a perfect world, yo! He's there to put up 9 points in 8 minutes when the rest of your team is struggling.

DitchDat
10-18-2012, 02:31 AM
**** yes! the Blur!

xcrisisx
10-18-2012, 04:47 AM
Im surprised Barbosa went this direction. Celtics have a lot of perimeter players and wont get much time. He could have went to the Lakers for same money and gotn double the playing time on a contender

the celtics are a contender...
they took it to 7 games, so it's not like the heat had a laugh over them
if you discard that fact, than only the heat and lakers are contenders and we should play the finals straight away.

besides the lakers are allready paying over 100 mil in salaries, they should stop overspending and screwing the league at some point...

Sly Guy
10-18-2012, 09:43 AM
this is exactly what Boston needed. A nice, speedy, instant offense guy coming off the bench. Barbosa is a great signing.

Rockice_8
10-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Meh, not impressed really. Good depth but just another undersized SG added to a backcourt full of them.

torocan
10-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Decent pick up for the C's.

Not a game changer, but adding a scorer like Barbosa on the roster never hurts.

SwaggaIke
10-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Laughable pick up. Bradley, Lee & Terry do EVERYTHING better than Barbosa. Average shooter & below average defender. Where does he play? Point guard w/ no point guard skills or ability to quarterback a functioning 2nd unit? Or 2 guard where he gets pushed around regularly by larger guards? He won't even bring the decent energy & locker room presence that Dooling brought to Boston last year. I Love Boston's revamped roster but I don't buy this pickup.

Corey
10-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Laughable pick up. Bradley, Lee & Terry do EVERYTHING better than Barbosa. Average shooter & below average defender. Where does he play? Point guard w/ no point guard skills or ability to quarterback a functioning 2nd unit? Or 2 guard where he gets pushed around regularly by larger guards? He won't even bring the decent energy & locker room presence that Dooling brought to Boston last year. I Love Boston's revamped roster but I don't buy this pickup.

Bradley's out until December/January.

They needed an additional guard.

kenzo400
10-18-2012, 12:30 PM

Lee is a way worse offensive player than Barbosa and Terry will be turning 34. I don't think he's going to be playing 35 minutes a game. I would give him a maximum of 28-30 minutes. Barbosa can fill an important role here, as long as they leave Lee out of the rotation seeing as how other than the fact that he is a decent defender, he's a pretty pointless player.

Corey
10-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Lee is a way worse offensive player than Barbosa and Terry will be turning 34. I don't think he's going to be playing 35 minutes a game. I would give him a maximum of 28-30 minutes. Barbosa can fill an important role here, as long as they leave Lee out of the rotation seeing as how other than the fact that he is a decent defender, he's a pretty pointless player.
Adding you to the list of people that clearly haven't watched Courtney Lee play basketball.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-18-2012, 01:17 PM
lol courtney lee is a very good defender, and a lights out 3 point shooter.

its actually scary to think of good him and rondo will be on court together. add jason terry to the mix and its very scary..

however im confused about this signing, wouldnt barbosa just take away shots from other players.. he is a volume shooter that sometimes takes ill advised shots. im curious to see how he will fit in.

anyways boston looks stacked and primed to keep their core healthy.

cant wait for bos vs mia

SwaggaIke
10-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Bradley's out until December/January.

They needed an additional guard.

I'm well aware of Bradley's shoulder problems, but what does Barbosa bring to a disciplined ball club like the Celtics? How many backcourt mins are there? Rondo needs maybe one blow a game? Lee is the resident stopper at 2 positions (until Avery returns) & he's a knockdown shooter. Terry is proven & WILL QB the 2nd unit. Don't get me wrong, Barbosa was once effective. But what is his NBA skill as a role player on a championship caliber roster? Or is he just a warm body to used during the season. I'm sure Doc will find the best way to utilize him, I just don't know what the hell Barbosa does well at this point.

P Harvy
10-18-2012, 03:09 PM
I can't wait until the Heat run all over these guys.

Not only are they the defending champs, not only are they going to be healthier but they added the deadliest three point shooter in the league. Ray Allen is going to have more open three point shots than he knows what to do with. If you're gonna stop Wade or LeBron coming down the lane then you leave Ray wide open. If you're gonna stay at home on Ray that's fine cause LeBron will take it to the hole every time.

This heat team is scary good

slickback24
10-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Ok first off, CELTICS VS LAKERS 2013.........but am I the only one curious to see how this can work, as far as Barbosa goes. If I remember he had a problem playing second fiddle to Hill and Collison, and that was why he didnt sign back to Indy (oh and veterans minimum)? How will he feel when avery gets back, Terry already sixth man, and Courtney Lee already promised a starting role???

Byronicle
10-18-2012, 03:45 PM
damn great pickup

Corey
10-18-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm well aware of Bradley's shoulder problems, but what does Barbosa bring to a disciplined ball club like the Celtics?Depth, an extra ball handler while Bradley is injured.

He'll be the fifth guard behind Rondo, Terry, Bradley and Lee when everyone's healthy. If someone gets injured, he's great insurance.

How many backcourt mins are there?A lot until Bradley comes back.
Rondo needs maybe one blow a game? Lee is the resident stopper at 2 positions (until Avery returns) & he's a knockdown shooter. Terry is proven & WILL QB the 2nd unit. Don't get me wrong, Barbosa was once effective. But what is his NBA skill as a role player on a championship caliber roster? Depth.

Tumstock
10-18-2012, 06:34 PM

Not only are they the defending champs, not only are they going to be healthier but they added the deadliest three point shooter in the league. Ray Allen is going to have more open three point shots than he knows what to do with. If you're gonna stop Wade or LeBron coming down the lane then you leave Ray wide open. If you're gonna stay at home on Ray that's fine cause LeBron will take it to the hole every time.

You just felt like you needed to add that?

kenzo400
10-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Adding you to the list of people that clearly haven't watched Courtney Lee play basketball.

Fair enough, and i'll add you to the list of people that obviously haven't watched Barbosa play.

Corey
10-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Which would be inaccurate.

He has upside as a reserve. He's going to be fifth on our guard depth chart with Bradley healthy.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about having a deep team with players that are capable of playing increased minutes if there is an injury. Deal with it.

69centers
10-18-2012, 11:01 PM

If you don't play defense for Doc, you won't see minutes in the playoffs. Just ask Sam Cassell, Nate Robinson, Steph Marbury, and Michael Finley.

xcrisisx
10-19-2012, 12:42 PM

interesting!

Lakersfanla24
10-19-2012, 01:41 PM
:mad: first lee then barbosa..... Celtics have quietly put together a nice offseason, I see them as the second or third seed in the east with their depth.

HowFit
10-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Good pickup!

koreancabbage
10-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Boston recovered nicely after losing Allen.

probably a better team now

jbelmar4
10-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Celtics are still a competitive team, but not championship worthy, Leandro will help them but they can't matchup against the Heat and the upcoming sixers nets and pacers

letsgobrownies7
10-20-2012, 03:48 AM
Celtics are still a competitive team, but not championship worthy, Leandro will help them but they can't matchup against the Heat and the upcoming sixers nets and pacers

:laugh2: derp.

Davidgta1
10-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Damn

Lakersfan2483
10-22-2012, 04:58 AM
Great pickup for Boston. They are a deep team.

xcrisisx
10-22-2012, 05:47 AM

what did I just read