PDA

View Full Version : Miami Heat shooters complain they are "too open"

JerseyPalahniuk
10-15-2012, 12:14 AM
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-10-10/sports/sfl-miami-heat-ray-allen-s101012_1_heat-shooters-wade-and-chris-bosh-norris-cole

Rashard Lewis has a problem, something he didn't have to worry about much during his two seasons with the Washington Wizards.

The wide-open 3-point shot. The everyone-is-paying-attention-to-LeBron-Wade-Bosh shot. The shot that players work on endlessly in practice yet come to loathe in games.

"Got to get used to it," the veteran forward said as the Miami Heat continued training camp, "because that's the hardest shot in basketball. I may have to hold it for a couple of seconds, so I can get somebody closing out to me."

To a degree, it sounds preposterous, that in a league loaded with length, athleticism, speed, that an outside shooter would prefer defensive company before launching.

Yet it practically is a universal truth, one the Heat's shooters will have to deal with while LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh are attracting attention elsewhere.

"When you're playing a game, you're so used to playing instinctively," Heat forward Shane Battier said, as he snapped his fingers to mimic the typical split-second timing of NBA decisions. "When you get a wide-, wide-open three, you're naked. You have time to think and rationalize, and that's counterintuitive to how we normally play. We normally play instinctively -- time to think and time to react only. But when you have time to think in basketball, calculation often leads to miscalculation."

With so many scorers elsewhere on the court, there is plenty of time for calculation for the Heat's 3-point shooters. As a rookie last season, point guard Norris Cole couldn't believe how open he was at times.

"Sometimes you're surprised that you're that wide open," he said. "Normally, when you shoot shots, you just shoot in repetition. But in a game, when you find yourself just wide open, it kinds of shocks you."

At a time when some say widening the court would open up the game, the Heat created vast expanses for their shooters last season and are expected to so again.

But that also becomes a head game for a newcomer, with center Josh Harrellson, brought in to stretch defenses, admitting it's not always easy to take the 3-pointer with defenders staying home, often double-teaming James, Wade and Bosh.

"It becomes," Harrellson said, "a thought process. 'Oh, I'm this wide open, should I take a dribble for a layup? Should I take one dribble in for a jump shot?' There's a lot of thought that goes into it.

"If you're that wide open, you really don't know what you want to do. A lot of people might think, 'Why don't you shoot a layup, you were wide open?' So there's a lot of different thoughts that go through your head at that time."

For his part, Ray Allen, the NBA's all-time leader in 3-point conversions, has long gotten over such concerns.

"A shot is a shot, really, for me," the Heat's prime offseason acquisition said. "It's not really just the wide-open shot. It's just really how the ball's delivered to you."

Allen, in fact, said the toughest part of being left open might be the waiting game.

"I think if you're waiting on the 3-point line, that's probably the toughest shot," he said. "You're waiting, you're waiting, you're waiting, and then you have to kind of reposition your feet. That to me is probably the toughest shot, because there's not really a rhythm shot.

"When you catch in a rhythm, you're leaning forward. So if you don't get it, you got to make sure you kind of get your momentum going back into that shot."

Yet if you watch Battier, who is used to open shots having previously played with Yao Ming with the Houston Rockets, he consistenly positions himself in the corner in a leaning position, poised for both the wait and the open look.

"I still prefer a wide-open shot versus a contested shot every day of the week, so I'm different," he said. "But there is something to it.

"When you're so wide open, most guys catch the ball, they try to get the seams right, take a breath, and then shoot it. That's not what we practice. We practice catching . . . shooting. Catching . . . shooting."

ThunderousDemon
10-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Why was this thread created by a Nets fan and why isn't this in the Heat forum?

JNA17
10-15-2012, 12:21 AM

Stupid is as stupid does.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Lolololololololol. Too open?

Knick_Fever
10-15-2012, 12:25 AM
This is actually a pretty good thread. I mean, since when do you hear players complain about being too open?

Knick_Fever
10-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Rashard Lewis- "I shoot shots"

JNA17
10-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Rashard Lewis- "I shoot shots"

Turq - "Ball"

Zefflin
10-15-2012, 12:35 AM
haha god damn it miami...talking **** already...good

Avenged
I don't think they're complaining as much as they are boasting about their team. With all that talent, why wouldn't they.

KB-Pau-DH2012
I never really felt that letting your 3 pt guys just camp out there, sipping a latte and reading a newspaper while they wait for the ball to come to them is that effective.

It worked for Miami last yr during a shortened season, but in some ways, I still don't trust their offense against elite defenses.

I strongly believe a good offense is one where every guy should be able to take part in the offense and have a sense of accountability. I just think it's kinda of a cheap offense to have one or two guys do all the work with dribble dribble dribble, penetrate and kick out, and the recipient just camp out there without any sense of accountability of running the offense.

DoMeFavors
10-15-2012, 12:37 AM
I agree, its something you guys probably wouldnt understand. But as a basketball player myself when im WIDE open its a tough shot. Im used to having the ball though since im the got to.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-15-2012, 12:40 AM
I agree, its something you guys probably wouldnt understand. But as a basketball player myself when im WIDE open its a tough shot. Im used to having the ball though since im the got to.

:rimshot:

Bruno
10-15-2012, 12:42 AM
haha god damn it miami...talking **** already...good

love your sig.

cg_la00
10-15-2012, 12:43 AM
i guess i kind of understand what theyre saying. you really have to be in rhythm to make baskets, you cant just be in one place for too long

justinnum1
10-15-2012, 12:54 AM

Why would heat fans want this garbage in the heat forum?

Marlin234
10-15-2012, 01:05 AM
I'll tell you a player who doesn't have a problem with wide open shots. His name is Ray Allen ;)

Zefflin
10-15-2012, 01:09 AM
o god.... ^^ dudes sig is troll so hard...

Zefflin
10-15-2012, 01:11 AM
love your sig.

Thank you kind Bruno.

Marlin234
10-15-2012, 01:13 AM
o god.... ^^ dudes sig is troll so hard...

Ya? And?

P Harvy
10-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Coming from someone who used to play a lot of competitive basketball in my high school days I would have to agree with a lot of what their saying. I don't think they are complaining at all. They are just sharing how they particularly feel about that kind of play. When you get a shot and you're are so wide open you often can over think it and maybe hesitate and create a hitch in your shot, over shoot it or undershoot it all because you have the brief little hesitation.

It's a very valid point.

MrfadeawayJB
10-15-2012, 01:26 AM
they might leave rashard open cause who else would you leave open?

Wade?
James?
Allen?
Bosh?

I'd go with Rashard too lol

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-15-2012, 02:02 AM
lol dammit rashard. shut up and play lol

Bulls_fan90
10-15-2012, 02:09 AM
Maybe Rashard Lewis is just washed up?

ThunderousDemon
10-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Why would heat fans want this garbage in the heat forum?

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Steelers23_06
10-15-2012, 02:37 AM
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

yeah and thats your bench minus antawn :laugh2:

More-Than-Most
10-15-2012, 02:44 AM
Turq - "Ball"

:laugh:

This never gets old

Ebbs
10-15-2012, 02:56 AM

Lakers4life08
10-15-2012, 03:32 AM
Rashard you are garbage,thats why you miss,not becouse you too open

Hawkeye15
10-15-2012, 03:39 AM
as a player who was a shooter, there is something to be said about catching in stride, and catching and knowing you are so wide open you can take time. I prefer to catch it in stride.

Aleksandar
10-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Mike Bibby talked about this last year too..

I just love how Ray Allen responded: "I don't care really, I'm just a good shooter" hahah Boss!

Gram
10-15-2012, 08:56 AM

Everything in bold is wrong.

Alotta us play ball, or have played. Why is it only you would understand?

People leave you wide open because you're the Rashard Lewis of your team.

You're not the go to, if you were, you wouldn't be open.

Ill21
10-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Dumb

HiphopRelated
10-15-2012, 09:11 AM
good problems to have

Ill21
10-15-2012, 09:12 AM

For real. When I'm playing ball I would much rather take a wide open shot than a contested one.

Jagged QT
10-15-2012, 09:20 AM

Sig worthy.:facepalm:

NYKnickFanatic
10-15-2012, 09:44 AM

That was great. :clap:

LAKobeBryant
10-15-2012, 12:19 PM
he just looking for a excuse when he becomes so inconsistent like mike miller past 2 years.

abe_froman
10-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Maybe Rashard Lewis is just washed up?

i wouldnt say that.he sucked balls last year,but it one season(well half season)is it a trend or an aberration? i think he'll bounce back this year

SugeKnight
10-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Looking through the comments I can tell only 5% of you actually read the article

ThunderousDemon
10-15-2012, 01:51 PM

I'll remember that when the Lakers are holding the championship trophy, bandwagoner.

Jagged QT
10-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Looking through the comments I can tell only 5% of you actually read the article

Do what was the main idea?

mvb815
10-15-2012, 02:05 PM
what people don't understand is, it's the same amount of difficulty as if someone is running at you. a good basketball player just doesn't get nervous

in reality though, people look at it like you should be hitting wide open shots every time, and other people make a name for themselves by hitting the same shots with a hand in their face

Jamiecballer
10-15-2012, 02:24 PM
there is no complaining in this article. doesn't that make this thread close worthy? or do we leave this kind of crap open to provoke more hatred towards the heat. c'mon mods, do your job.

dtmagnet
10-15-2012, 04:14 PM

Playing on the basket on your driveway doesn't count.

justinnum1
10-15-2012, 04:26 PM

lmao!

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-15-2012, 04:35 PM
I'll remember that when the Lakers are holding the championship trophy, bandwagoner.

LOL that's hilarious coming from a Laker's fan. Haha

xxplayerxx23
10-15-2012, 04:43 PM
For me If I catch the ball in stride it doesn't matter to me. Id rather a wide open shot then a shot with a guy in my face but it makes sense the more open you are the more people expect you to knock down that shot. I'm a shooter so I like open shots :p

MintBerryCrunch
10-15-2012, 04:45 PM

...Just stop... Hahahahahaha.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Me too lol wide open it's going in. I guess it's the mentality. I'm pretty cool and calm when in game mode. So when I'm wide open, it goes in lol

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-15-2012, 04:47 PM
...Just stop... Hahahahahaha.

? Too real?

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-15-2012, 04:49 PM
I know this fool isn't trying to dictate that any fan base in the nba doesn't have more bandwagon fans than laker fans lol majority of them dot even live in la and never supported them Pre-gasol trade. Lol

Haha

ThunderousDemon
10-15-2012, 04:59 PM

Why is it that the majority of Heat fans joined PSD the same year that the heat assembled their big three?

2010 Heat Bandwagon

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Why is it that the majority of Heat fans joined the same year that the heat assembled their big three.

2010 Heat Bandwagon

LOLLLL. why is it that people like yourselves assume PSD join date dictates when a fan became a fan of that team? LOL.
I'm active in all Miami sports forums.

Have you even considered for once that I found out about psd after it became impossible to comment on ESPN heat games because f the amount of hate and low level iq discussions?
No of course not, because I'm getting called a bandwagoner by a fanbase filled with worse bandwagoners. LOL:clap:

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Oh and btw lebron joined on June 2010, June to November is 5 months.. And didn't they have a bad record in November? :)

Silly guy. Lol

xcrisisx
10-15-2012, 05:45 PM
I know this fool isn't trying to dictate that any fan base in the nba doesn't have more bandwagon fans than laker fans lol majority of them dot even live in la and never supported them Pre-gasol trade. Lol

Haha

the heat are an expansion team whose fanbase exploded worldwide in 2010 after lebron happened, so the majority of their fans don't live in miami either, let alone florida, let alone the US...
who supported them before lebron, during that 15 win season?
you don't have a valid point, just hating

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-15-2012, 05:56 PM
the heat are an expansion team whose fanbase exploded worldwide in 2010 after lebron happened, so the majority of their fans don't live in miami either, let alone florida, let alone the US...
who supported them before lebron, during that 15 win season?
you don't have a valid point, just hating

yet somehow their attendance has been better than the lakers since 2005. up until the gasol trade, in 2009-2010. than heat attendance went back up after the acquisition of lebron in 2010. but im sure your opinion should matter more than hardcore data.

any other suggestions?

I was referring to people in America when i referenced out of LA. people in Denver, Lousiana, etc.

I am not even factoring in international fans because they do not have teams from their hometown, so they are exempt.

JerseyPalahniuk
10-15-2012, 05:57 PM
there is no complaining in this article. doesn't that make this thread close worthy? or do we leave this kind of crap open to provoke more hatred towards the heat. c'mon mods, do your job.

That's not what the intent was. I was hoping for a discussion of this play working out, whether people actually experienced themselves, and because the title of the article was just funny haha.

faridk89
10-15-2012, 06:08 PM
This is actually a pretty good thread. I mean, since when do you hear players complain about being too open?

This explains why I shoot a lot better playing pick up games than when I'm messing around hahaha :clap:

TylerSL
10-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Why is it that the majority of Heat fans joined PSD the same year that the heat assembled their big three?

2010 Heat Bandwagon

Your join date suggets that you've been a Laker fan since December 2011. See how that works. I am not saying there are not bandwagon Heat fans or any fans for that matter. Just join date is such a terrible argument and anybody who uses it looks foolish.