PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Top 5 factors for winning NBA title

bbfan99
10-14-2012, 05:02 PM
I am curious as to what people think are the most important factors in winning an NBA championship, so I have a created a poll.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Star player(s), Competent supporting cast, Proper coaching, Proper Management, Match ups.

Ebbs
10-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Don't see the poll. But if I had to break it into 5 aspects:

1) a #1 reliabel offensive option who can get his shot off.
2) a tough defense that plays well on and off the ball.
3) Leadership
4) rebounding well both ends
5) coaching.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Top 5 factors for Winning an NBA Title:

1) Steve Nash
2) Kobe Bryant
3) Metta World Peace
4) Pau Gasol
5) Dwight Howard

You're Welcome. :)

JasonJohnHorn
10-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Biggest things; Rebound and defence, follow by good passing. If you can control the boards, play strong defence and protect the basketball while facilitating ball movement, it's going to be hard to lose.

Good big man: Don't need it. It helps, A LOT. But ask NY fans how the Pat Ewing generation turned out. MJ proved, by playing in the era with the deepest center postion in the history of the game, that you do not need a big man to win.
Good guard: ???? You need at least one good guard, but you can get buy with average guards as long as they can shoot and defend.

Good coach: You need a good coach, but not a great one. Spo doesn't have enough experience to be a 'great' coach, and Rudy T was a good coach, but not a 'great' coach. It's hard to have good defence without good coaching, but you don't need a great coach.

Good passing game: YES! It's in my top three. So many games are decided by a margin that is equal to less than half the fast break points caused by turnover. Protecting the ball is half the game.

Good three point game: You need a diverse offensive game. If you don't have shooters, defence will collapse on your post players and drivers, so you need spot up shooters. This ranks high, but not the highest.

Clutch shooter: Overrate. If you dominate the boards, play great D and don't turn the ball over, you won't be putting yourself in a position where you need clutch shooter.

Good team defense: FAWK YEAH!

Good chemistry: Yes. Aboslutely. You can't have good defense without good chemistry. This is in part about players and attitudes and part about coaching. There have been a lot of great teams who were great on paper, I am reminded of the GSW of 93:
PG: Hardaway
SG: Speewell/Marciulionis
SF: Mullen/Owens
PF: Gatling
C: Tyrone Hill

They weren't deep in the front court, but this team should have been in the playoffs, isntead they only won 34 games

Experience: It helps, but some players come in the league ready: Russell, Bird Magic.

Team morale: That will go up if you are doing everything else right.

Work ethic: This is the starting point. if you don't have the players willing to put this in, you can't get the rebound and defense you need to win.

Momentum: Nope... don't think you need this. It can help.

Good fast break game: This is one of those things that help, but you can't build a team around this. They might be great for the highlight reel, but bottom line is, the fast break game is a product of good defence, and if you don't have that, the fast break game isn't very important. And teams that are built around this don't usually win (though there are obvious exceptions: Showtime Lakers).
Good training facilities: This helps... but, I mean, everybody and their dog knows that Phoenix has the best in the league and they still haven't won a championship.

KnicksorBust
10-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Biggest things; Rebound

Word. Top rebounding teams from last season:
Bulls
Lakers
Jazz
Nuggets
Thunder
Heat

Nuff said.

and defence, follow by good passing. If you can control the boards, play strong defence and protect the basketball while facilitating ball movement, it's going to be hard to lose.

I'm down with this.

Good big man: Don't need it. It helps, A LOT. But ask NY fans how the Pat Ewing generation turned out. MJ proved, by playing in the era with the deepest center postion in the history of the game, that you do not need a big man to win.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Ewing also had like no help so that example is trash. But with the way the game is changing you almost don't "need" anything except superior talent.

Good guard: ???? You need at least one good guard, but you can get buy with average guards as long as they can shoot and defend.

Not much of a statement. So I'll just agree.

Good coach: You need a good coach, but not a great one. Spo doesn't have enough experience to be a 'great' coach, and Rudy T was a good coach, but not a 'great' coach. It's hard to have good defence without good coaching, but you don't need a great coach.

I say this without attempting to bait or troll a fanbase. There are a good 50 coaches that would have won at least 1 title if they had coached the Heat the past two seasons.

Good passing game: YES! It's in my top three. So many games are decided by a margin that is equal to less than half the fast break points caused by turnover. Protecting the ball is half the game.

Explanation of Lakers dynasty?

Good three point game: You need a diverse offensive game. If you don't have shooters, defence will collapse on your post players and drivers, so you need spot up shooters. This ranks high, but not the highest.

Agreed.

Clutch shooter: Overrate. If you dominate the boards, play great D and don't turn the ball over, you won't be putting yourself in a position where you need clutch shooter.

Name a title team that didn't have a clutch player.

Good team defense: FAWK YEAH!

Good chemistry: Yes. Aboslutely. You can't have good defense without good chemistry. This is in part about players and attitudes and part about coaching. There have been a lot of great teams who were great on paper, I am reminded of the GSW of 93:
PG: Hardaway
SG: Speewell/Marciulionis
SF: Mullen/Owens
PF: Gatling
C: Tyrone Hill
Experience 4 50.00%
Team morale 1 12.50%
Work ethic 5 62.50%
Momentum 1 12.50%
Good fast break game 0 0%
Good training facilities

I don't understand your Warriors reference at all. Are you saying that team could have won a title? With that frontcourt?

xxplayerxx23
10-14-2012, 08:24 PM
1.Health
2.Defense
3.Key scorer
4.Shooters
5.Star that can take over
6. Coaching
7.Expierence

Cal827
10-14-2012, 08:32 PM
1. David Stern
2. Referees
3. Star Power
4. Market
5. Do Me Favors

pacersfan1967
10-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Word. Top rebounding teams from last season:
Bulls
Lakers
Jazz
Nuggets
Thunder
Heat

Nuff said.

I'm down with this.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Ewing also had like no help so that example is trash. But with the way the game is changing you almost don't "need" anything except superior talent.

Not much of a statement. So I'll just agree.

I say this without attempting to bait or troll a fanbase. There are a good 50 coaches that would have won at least 1 title if they had coached the Heat the past two seasons.

Explanation of Lakers dynasty?

Agreed.

Name a title team that didn't have a clutch player.

I don't understand your Warriors reference at all. Are you saying that team could have won a title? With that frontcourt? I seen where the pacers was the 4 best robouding team..