PDA

View Full Version : An All-Longevity Team

Chronz
10-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Make an All-NBA Team (or 2 if you have the IQ) based on 5 players who have impressed you the most with their longevity. However you define that is up to you.

Kashmir13579
10-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Really quickly

Jason Kidd
Reggie Miller
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan

KnicksorBust
10-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Stockton
Kobe
Havlicek
Malone
Kareem

2nd team
Kidd
Oscar
Nique
Duncan
Parish

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-13-2012, 06:03 PM
All-Time

PG: John Stockton
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: John Hondo Havliceck or Rick Barry
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

leprechaun5
10-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Steve Nash
Ray Allen
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan

Raps18-19 Champ
10-13-2012, 06:16 PM
C-Kareem
PF-Malone
SF-Wilkins
SG-Kobe
PG-Stockton

KnicksorBust
10-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Stockton
Kobe
Havlicek
Malone
Kareem

All-Time

PG: John Stockton
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: John Hondo Havliceck or Rick Barry
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

:rolleyes:

Bruno
10-13-2012, 06:26 PM
First Team:
John Stockton
Reggie Miller
John Havlicek
Karl Malone
Robert Parish

Second Team:
Gary Payton
Kobe Bryant
Scottie Pippen
Clifford Robinson
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-13-2012, 06:28 PM
:rolleyes:

:confused:

We had PF different, and I think Rick Barry could be an equal or not better candidate than Hondo

KnicksorBust
10-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Oscar Robertson not getting enough love...

shep33
10-13-2012, 06:35 PM
I might get burnt for this, but Andre Miller is a freak of nature when it comes to longevity. Dude does not miss games ever, and is still pretty darn good. But in terms of star players still going hard today I'd go:

Nash
Kobe
KG
Dirk
Ray Allen/Paul Pierce

Kashmir13579
10-13-2012, 07:02 PM
I might get burnt for this, but Andre Miller is a freak of nature when it comes to longevity. Dude does not miss games ever, and is still pretty darn good. But in terms of star players still going hard today I'd go:

60th alltime in minutes played
87th in games played (several seasons of 82 games played)
10th alltime in assists

I think he's still has a few more years in him.

b@llhog24
10-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Stockton
Reggie
Hondo
Malone
KAJ

b@llhog24
10-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Anybody thinks Andre is a HOF?

carnage101
10-13-2012, 07:08 PM
greg oden
stephen curry
eddy curry
jeff foster
peja

carnage101
10-13-2012, 07:08 PM

no i don't not even close

Kashmir13579
10-13-2012, 07:14 PM

I think there is a good chance.

shep33
10-13-2012, 07:14 PM
60th alltime in minutes played
87th in games played (several seasons of 82 games played)
10th alltime in assists

I think he's still has a few more years in him.

Definitely, dude is a freak when it comes to health, I don't know if we've seen anything like it in the modern NBA, for guards especially. I mean Stockton is the other guy who never missed games ever, but since Stockton retired, Andre has kinda taken over that mantle as the NBA's iron-man for guards.

PurpleJesus
10-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Jay Williams
Jesus Shuttlesworth
Darius Miles
Eddie Griffen
Greg Oden

Practitioner
John Stockton
Reggie Miller
Grant Hill
Garnett
Robert Parish/Hakeem

carnage101
Definitely, dude is a freak when it comes to health, I don't know if we've seen anything like it in the modern NBA, for guards especially. I mean Stockton is the other guy who never missed games ever, but since Stockton retired, Andre has kinda taken over that mantle as the NBA's iron-man for guards.

i don't think longevity would make up for the fact that he was never the best pg in the league at any point in terms of team success and personal success.

shep33
10-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Just some more stats about Miller:

He's played 82 games 8 times in his career. Played every game last year in a shortened season

He's played 80 or more games in 11 of his seasons

The guy has averaged 34 mpg in his career, so it's not like he isn't playing limited minutes

Talk about consistency at a ridiculous level.

SeoulBeatz
10-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Kidd
Kobe
Pippen
Malone
Olajuwon

b@llhog24
10-13-2012, 07:22 PM
no i don't not even close

See i could take a simple no but you're exaggeration.

I think there is a good chance.

I believe so, well he may not get in per say but I believe he's had HOF caliber career. Dude doesn't miss games, is very consistent, most coaches credit him as being a great locker room influence. He's quietly put together a nice career imo. But maybe it's just my man crush for him talking.

b@llhog24
10-13-2012, 07:23 PM
i don't think longevity would make up for the fact that he was never the best pg in the league at any point in terms of team success and personal success.

If that's all that matter then plenty of guys aren't getting in the HOF.

JasonJohnHorn
10-13-2012, 07:24 PM
PG: Stockton/Nash/Kidd
SG: Jordan/Kobe/Miller/West
SF: Hondo/Baylor/Big O/Pippen
PF: Karl Malone/KG/Duncan
C: Kareem/Moses/Wilt (36 years old posted a rebonding average that has yet to be matched since)

A few of these guys, West, Baylor and Wilt, all retired around 35 or so, which was considered old back when they did it, but each were still playing at a very high level...

Kobe... perhaps I should wait a couple of years, but judging from his on court performance and conditioning, i expect him to be on this list for sure.

Stockton is the obvious first choice for PG, with Nash a close second and Kidd right behind (Kidd has dropped off more than Nash), but Mark Jackson deserves honourable mention here.

shep33
10-13-2012, 07:25 PM

I agree with you, but his longevity still is impressive. We're talking about a guy who is going to be top 9th in assists pretty soon. Great career, and really his longevity is what made his career. Also he did lead the league in assists one year, and has never really played with quality talent when he was younger. The best player he ever played with when he was younger was Melo when he was still a pretty fresh in the league.

Again though, for current star players I'd go with these guys:

KG
Dirk
Kobe
Ray
Nash
Pierce

I mean Ray can still start for a lot of teams in the NBA. Maybe not a star now, but defintely was for a long long time

Andrew32
10-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Stockton / Nash
Jordan / Reggie
Havilchek / Pippen
Malone / KG
Kareem / Shaq / Moses / Parish

Raidaz4Life
10-13-2012, 07:33 PM
1st Team

John Stockton
Kobe
Julius Erving
Karl Malone
Kareem Abdul Jabbar

2nd Team

Jason Kidd
Reggie Miller
Scottie Pippen
Moses Malone
Hakeem Olajuwon

Andrew32
10-13-2012, 07:38 PM
2nd Team

Jason Kidd
Reggie Miller
Scottie Pippen
Moses Malone
Hakeem Olajuwon

Moses was never a PF.

xILLN355
10-13-2012, 07:41 PM
eddy curry > all

Raidaz4Life
10-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Moses was never a PF.

Most places list him as a Center/Forward.

Lakers + Giants
10-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Stockton
Kobe
Dantley
Malone
Kareem

raiderposting
10-13-2012, 08:34 PM
john stockton
Brandon Roy
John Havlicek
karl malone
Greg oden

carnage101
10-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I agree with you, but his longevity still is impressive. We're talking about a guy who is going to be top 9th in assists pretty soon. Great career, and really his longevity is what made his career. Also he did lead the league in assists one year, and has never really played with quality talent when he was younger. The best player he ever played with when he was younger was Melo when he was still a pretty fresh in the league.

Again though, for current star players I'd go with these guys:

KG
Dirk
Kobe
Ray
Nash
Pierce

I mean Ray can still start for a lot of teams in the NBA. Maybe not a star now, but defintely was for a long long time
does longevity make mark jackson a HOFer? i don't think he's any better than jax and he's got way better assist numbers

TheSource
10-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Nash / Kidd / Stockton
Kobe / Reggie
Pippen
Duncan / Garnett
Olajuwon / Shaq

mrblisterdundee
10-13-2012, 09:02 PM
PG - John Stockton, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd
SG - Reggie Miller, John Havlicek, Terry Porter
SF - Elvin Hayes, Buck Williams, Dale Ellis
PF - Moses Malone, Karl Malone, Clifford Robinson
C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Robert Parish, Kevin Willis

This is a hard one, because big men dominate the NBA in longevity. I had to pass on so many HOF post players to get a team with real guards.

jerellh528
10-13-2012, 09:59 PM

He's played 82 games 8 times in his career. Played every game last year in a shortened season

The guy has averaged 34 mpg in his career, so it's not like he isn't playing limited minutes

A product of riverside poly high school. :cool:

Swashcuff
10-13-2012, 11:03 PM
PG - John Stockton, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd
SG - Reggie Miller, John Havlicek, Terry Porter
SF - Elvin Hayes, Buck Williams, Dale Ellis
PF - Moses Malone, Karl Malone, Clifford Robinson
C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Robert Parish, Kevin Willis

This is a hard one, because big men dominate the NBA in longevity. I had to pass on so many HOF post players to get a team with real guards.

MintBerryCrunch
10-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe

U mad ???

Chronz
10-14-2012, 01:24 PM
I didn't expec to see an Uncle Cliffy reference

KnicksorBust
10-14-2012, 01:47 PM

Yes but you also have to weigh in level of play over those years. Miller never had a season that put him ahead of his contemporaries. In his whole career he never made an All-NBA 1st team or EVEN an All-NBA 2nd team. He made three All-NBA 3rd teams and 5 All-Star games.

Is that more impressive than Oscar Robertson making 9 straight All-NBA 1st teams? That's HIGH PRODUCTION consistency at a ridiculous level.

Chronz
10-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Yes but you also have to weigh in level of play over those years. Miller never had a season that put him ahead of his contemporaries. In his whole career he never made an All-NBA 1st team or EVEN an All-NBA 2nd team. He made three All-NBA 3rd teams and 5 All-Star games.

Is that more impressive than Oscar Robertson making 9 straight All-NBA 1st teams? That's HIGH PRODUCTION consistency at a ridiculous level.

I thought he was talking about Andre Miller

KnicksorBust
10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
I thought he was talking about Andre Miller

Oh you are right! Shucks. In that case though it's even more lopsided than Reggie.

mrblisterdundee
10-14-2012, 03:30 PM

We're creating an all-longevity team. Hayes and Williams are in the top-20 for NBA games played. And they were very productive late into their careers.
If you're wondering about their positions, I know Williams and Hayes usually played the power forward-center position, but I switched them - they're the right size for small forward-power forward combos these days.

mrblisterdundee
10-14-2012, 03:37 PM
I didn't expec to see an Uncle Cliffy reference

"Ucle Cliffy" played forever, meaning he had a high degree of longevity. He's currently played the seventh most games of any NBA player.

tapajafri
10-14-2012, 03:41 PM
greg oden
stephen curry
eddy curry
jeff foster
peja

hahahhahahhahaha

Chronz
10-14-2012, 04:02 PM
they're the right size for small forward-power forward combos these days.

What do you mean?

mrblisterdundee
10-20-2012, 03:40 PM
What do you mean?

I meant that Williams and Hayes usually played the power forward-center position during their careers, but I switched them because at their size, they'd be decent small forward-power forward combos these days - really rugged options. I think I made pretty wise choices with my all-longevity team.

Chronz
10-20-2012, 03:49 PM
I meant that Williams and Hayes usually played the power forward-center position during their careers, but I switched them because at their size, they'd be decent small forward-power forward combos these days - really rugged options. I think I made pretty wise choices with my all-longevity team.

I got that, but can you be more specific? I mean I know Hayes had perimeter skills but hes strictly a 4 who could play some 5 and even less 3 IMO. And they would be alot more than just decent.