PDA

View Full Version : A year later. What should the wolves do with Derrick Williams?

spreadeagle
10-13-2012, 04:25 PM
This guy doesnt get talked about much for a recent #2 pick, but like the article says I think he could flourish on a few other teams.

At some point, I think this team is just going to have to face the facts: Williams is a guy who could potentially be a pretty good power forward, on a team that has absolutely no minutes available at power forward.

It’s not like the Wolves are oblivious to this sort of thing. The reason we got Cunningham in the first place is because the team saw it had a need for a hustler/defender in the post and no minutes available for Wayne Ellington on the wings.

I like Williams, and I think he’ll have a good career as a valuable player, but I don’t see how it will happen here. He’s a stretch 4, on a team that already has one of the best, if not the best, stretch 4s in the league. With Kirilenko and Cunningham filling in the gaps around Love, how is Williams going to find space?

via What to do with Williams – Canis Hoopus.

When the Wolves landed the No.2 pick in the lottery for 2011, it was manna from heaven. Another star young player to add to their core. They were already going to be better with Ricky Rubio joining Kevin Love and later, Rick Adelman. But the problem was that the draft was considered a particularly weak one, and big-heavy at the top outside of Kyrie Irving. Picks 2-7 were all bigs, it would turn out, if you consider Williams a big.

We’re not playing revisionist history, here. This is not some “it didn’t make sense in retrospect.” At the time, everyone said ‘They have to trade the pick, right? Right?” There was rampant speculation they would move out of the lottery, and the Wolves were involved in talks repeatedly for Williams, included a speculated trade with the Lakers. But in the end, nothing developed, and the Wolves simply took the No.2 guy, Derrick Williams.

Here’s the crazy part. They drafted a good player who wound up having a decent rookie season. He didn’t blow anyone away, he didn’t establish himself outright, but then again, he was playing out of position on a team that was gunning for a playoff spot until Rubio’s injury. In maybe the most Timberwolves thing ever, they drafted a good player and still wound up making a mistake. Do you know how hard that is?

So now Williams continues to drift between two worlds, trying to establish himself, playing out of position, and not even filling the needs of the position in terms of who the Wolves are.

The Timberwolves have made a ton of good moves over the past two years, and David Kahn deserves a lot of credit for that. The Wolves are not only respectable but could be a playoff team for the first time since KG left, and that takes some doing. They’ve managed the cap and their roster well. But Williams remains the oddest situation where they drafted the best player in his range (consider that Klay Thompson and Kawhi Leonard weren’t even top ten), and isn’t a bust, and yet it was a poor pick. Here’s hoping the Wolves can move him for an upgrade at a position of need and that he gets a chance to develop in a more natural setting. It’s not that he’s not good and not developing. It’s that things could be so much better for him elsewhere.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/13/a-year-later-the-wolves-drafting-williams-still-doesnt-make-sense-for-anyone/

Hawkeye15
10-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Well, his value couldn't be any lower right now, so the Wolves did what they should have. Held on to him and ask him to improve, which Adelman claims he has. However, the proof will be in the play this coming season. He is in a lot better condition, and his hitch in his shot appears to have relaxed. Hopefully he can find minutes.

He may be moved down the line, or they may hold onto him in case Love leaves in 3 years. We will see what happens.

el hidalgo
10-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Hawkeye, can he play SF defensively at all?

Sadds The Gr8
10-13-2012, 04:36 PM
trade him to the Raptors.

P Harvy
10-13-2012, 04:39 PM
I expect him to show that he can be a solid role player this year.

Hawkeye15
10-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Hawkeye, can he play SF defensively at all?

we will see this season. He is down around 13-15 lbs, in much better shape, with Kirilenko working with him defensively. I have my doubts Williams can play SF long term, but he can for the next few years, while he is young.

nickdymez
10-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Tell him to go **** himself

Chronz
10-13-2012, 04:44 PM
They should have traded him while his stock was high and he was a virtual unknown.

mdm692
10-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Trade him to the Raptors for Demar DeRozan or to the Rockets for Kevin Martin.

bucketss
10-13-2012, 05:02 PM

no.

PurpleJesus
10-13-2012, 05:19 PM
He is probably the Wolves best trade asset right now, that the team would be willing to part with. Expect heavy rumors surrounding him when the trade deadline approaches. In the mean time, I expect him to get get quite a bit of minutes off a bench that doesnt have much of an offensive threat outside of him.

AddiX
10-13-2012, 05:27 PM
What an awfully written article, that goes absolutely no where.

mngopher35
10-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Right now we cant trade him because his value dropped from last year. There has been alot of talk from camp and adelman that he looks much improved (last year adelman wasnt speaking highly of him). My guess is hes on the team until the deadline and could potentially be moved once he improves his trade value and if the right deal comes along.

mdm692
10-13-2012, 05:29 PM
no.

Why not. They got Fields and drafted that Ross kid. Throw some picks or find a way to make it work they need a SG.

Rubio-DeRozan(or Martin)-Budinger-Love-Peko.

KnickaBocka.44
10-13-2012, 05:30 PM
They should package him and Barea and send them to Detroit for Rodney Stuckey...or someone like that who can score from the wing.

Stunner
Trade him to the Hornets for Aminun, Henry and a pick

To the Raps for Derozan

The Kings for Marcus Thornton

JNoel
Derrick Williams, Rubio, Jose Juan Pablo Carlos Paco Alejandro Estaban Diego Cesar Barea for Chris Paul.

KnickaBocka.44
10-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Why not. They got Fields and drafted that Ross kid. Throw some picks or find a way to make it work they need a SG.

Fields is going to play the 3 which is probably his natural position.

KnickaBocka.44
10-13-2012, 05:32 PM

To the Raps for Derozan

This actually crossed my mind too.

Stunner
10-13-2012, 05:36 PM
I would have said the Suns , but they have Beasley and Williams would have prob loved going back to Arizona

mdm692
10-13-2012, 05:38 PM

To the Raps for Derozan

^^^Basically thats it just add Houston to the list.

Lakers4life08
10-13-2012, 05:39 PM
well he doing really good in preseason,but he is not fast enough for 3 position and at PF he sucks at everything....and this mug was saying he is better that Irving.......

PurpleJesus
10-13-2012, 05:41 PM
All the Wolves moves this season, have been to win now. They have not made moves for the future. If they were to trade Williams, it would be for an established veteran, rather than someone like Derozan.

WSU Tony
10-13-2012, 05:57 PM
An extended Martin would be unbelievable for Williams. It wouldn't happen, though. Man, the Wolves roster would be awesome if that trade some how went down.

topdog
10-13-2012, 06:02 PM
I don't know exactly what this writer is talking about:

1. Williams didn't play out of position last year. Adelman refused to put him at the 3 because he thought the transition to the NBA would be hard enough.

2. Williams has been playing the 3 so far in pre-season with fairly good results: http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400400490

Per game (2): 25.5MIN, 17PTS, 50% FG, 50% 3PT%, 4REB, 2STL, 1AST, 0.5BLK

3. Williams is a viable 6th man at the moment with AK in the starting lineup and Kiralenko's contract will be up before Williams' if he needs to be a starter. He's looking like he'll fit so far this year (last year was a question).

KnicksorBust
10-13-2012, 06:13 PM
To be honest, I think the Orlando Magic should be banging down their door. The potential is there and the Magic have plenty of proven pieces for the Twolves to balance out their young rotation. In particular, guys like Afflalo and Reddick make a lot of sense for the Wolves...

5ass
10-13-2012, 06:21 PM
To be honest, I think the Orlando Magic should be banging down their door. The potential is there and the Magic have plenty of proven pieces for the Twolves to balance out their young rotation. In particular, guys like Afflalo and Reddick make a lot of sense for the Wolves...

Good thinking.
Rubio
Afflalo
Kirilenko
Love
Pekovic

Would be a very well balanced starting 5.

KnicksorBust
10-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Good thinking.
Rubio
Afflalo
Kirilenko
Love
Pekovic

Would be a very well balanced starting 5.

Bingo. :)

Showtime Steve
10-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Lakers for ebanks and blake/duhon lol

Hawkeye15
10-13-2012, 06:36 PM
He is also insurance in case Love or Kirilenko get hurt, we don't have much in the backup area, starter wise. Williams will get his minutes this year, and if is as assertive as he has been early in camp and in games 1-2 (had 25 the other night), he will raise his trade value quite a bit.

KnicksorBust
10-13-2012, 06:38 PM
He is also insurance in case Love or Kirilenko get hurt, we don't have much in the backup area, starter wise. Williams will get his minutes this year, and if is as assertive as he has been early in camp and in games 1-2 (had 25 the other night), he will raise his trade value quite a bit.

I hate this answer. You don't draft players 2nd overall to be insurance policies.

Hawkeye15
10-13-2012, 06:39 PM

I imagine at the trade deadline something like that may be visited.

SINCESTARBURY25
10-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Ill give them Rasheed Wallace and a coney island hot dog?

Hawkeye15
10-13-2012, 06:40 PM
I hate this answer. You don't draft players 2nd overall to be insurance policies.

Nope. They become them if they don't prove to be worthy of starting. Like I said, he is said to be having a great camp, looked good last night, so it will be interesting to see where his development goes. Kahn tried to trade down, or trade for a player, but got nothing worthy in return. The whole league knew we had Love, and Williams is a PF. You still don't pass on the consensus #2 talent when you are a 17 win team.

KnicksorBust
10-13-2012, 06:44 PM
But you also run the risk of stunting their growth. Do we already forget the failed Durant at SG experiment with Jeff Green at the 3?

nico916
10-13-2012, 06:48 PM
trade him at the deadline his value will be much higher by then by some team trying to make a move. maybe gortat strait up?

Hawkeye15
10-13-2012, 06:48 PM
But you also run the risk of stunting their growth. Do we already forget the failed Durant at SG experiment with Jeff Green at the 3?

Williams will get playing time. He was wildly inconsistent, had extra weight from when Zona asked him to get bigger, and was not in good enough shape. His skill level was not the question. However, he will be given a real role this season, and unless he just ***** the bed, Adelman will keep him in a 25-27 mpg role. Remember, Roy isn't getting more than 26 mpg (meaning Budinger will get a ton at SG), Love needs to have his minutes dropped from 38 to around 33 imo, and Kirilenko is 31, and will need some rest. When Pekovic sits, also look for a lot of AK-Williams-Love frontcourts.

He is being developed. He will get the minutes.

KnicksorBust
10-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Fair enough. :) I wish you a happy healthy Rubio.

Kobe420
10-13-2012, 06:50 PM
gotta ship him out for a vet. maybe atlanta will ifnally part with j smoove? maybe memphis will let someone go?

topdog
10-13-2012, 06:53 PM

So far (and it's only a couple games of pre-season), it doesn't seem like Williams' growth has been stunted at all. He looks much better than last year as he took criticisms to heart and: 1.lost weight/got surgery on his septum 2.worked on finishing drives 3.worked on free throws 4.worked on his defense 5.worked the hitch out of his shot

That Durant thing never made sense especially since they could have drafted any number of other players behind Durant including Jo Noah. There is a reason PJ is no longer their head coach just like there is a reason Kurt Rambis is no longer the Wolves' head coach.

Hawkeye15
10-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Fair enough. :) I wish you a happy healthy Rubio.

Thanks bro. One other thing to consider. Would you rather have Williams be developed with a locker next to Beasley, Randolph, and Darko, or Kirilenko, Budinger, and Roy?

PurpleJesus
10-13-2012, 07:09 PM
gotta ship him out for a vet. maybe atlanta will ifnally part with j smoove? maybe memphis will let someone go?

Why do they gotta do that? But yes, I would jump all over Josh Smith if they were willing to give him up for Williams, which I dont think they would.

OKC
10-13-2012, 07:27 PM
An extended Martin would be unbelievable for Williams. It wouldn't happen, though. Man, the Wolves roster would be awesome if that trade some how went down.

yes because what the rockets need right now is a young tweener, they dont have 7 of those.

Ebbs
10-13-2012, 07:29 PM
I don't understand the panic to ship out a guy who has played one year in the NBA. He showed flashes. He can continue to develop while the Wolves have other options. Wht trade him when he will net you nothing.

mngopher35
10-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Why do they gotta do that? But yes, I would jump all over Josh Smith if they were willing to give him up for Williams, which I dont think they would.

Ya i highly doubt we could get smith for williams. Im not sure if this is what you were saying, but i think your implying its not necessary to trade williams? If so I completely agree with you. He is a versatile 6th man with scoring ability off the bench (not as good but possibly could be similar to bringing harden off the bench? Now im not saying hes a great fit with what we have but hes a second year player and I think we have even past this year (if a solid deal isnt out there) to decide what we have in him. When we had the pick I wanted us to trade it/him, but at this point trading him would mean we sold really low.

mdm692
10-13-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't understand the panic to ship out a guy who has played one year in the NBA. He showed flashes. He can continue to develop while the Wolves have other options. Wht trade him when he will net you nothing.

That's what happens man either you make a name right away or else people will label you a bust.

Ebbs
10-13-2012, 07:55 PM
That's what happens man either you make a name right away or else people will label you a bust.

I guess I think way differently.

I still haven't given up on Mayo and Beasley as future all stars let alone Derrick Williams lol.

mdm692
10-13-2012, 08:14 PM
I guess I think way differently.

I still haven't given up on Mayo and Beasley as future all stars let alone Derrick Williams lol.

Amen not everybody can develop and accept their role the same way. Some take more time than others. Although **** OJ Mayo for taking shots at PHX :p. Now Wes Johnson might surprise some people. M.I.P. candidate and could be one of the league leaders in 3pt fg made and 3pt fg %.

smith&wesson
10-13-2012, 08:27 PM

no thank you.

mrblisterdundee
10-13-2012, 09:03 PM
I think they should flip him for a solid shooting guard or small forward.

oaktown09
10-13-2012, 09:34 PM
With Kevin love, pekovic, louis Amundsen, Andre kirelenko that gives them a lot of different options. Guards barea, ridinour, Ricky Rubio and Brandon Roy. Seems like a group destined for a bottom western confence playoff team

thechom80
10-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Amen not everybody can develop and accept their role the same way. Some take more time than others. Although **** OJ Mayo for taking shots at PHX :p. Now Wes Johnson might surprise some people. M.I.P. candidate and could be one of the league leaders in 3pt fg made and 3pt fg %.

Just call him "Rock God."

Aleksandar
10-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Why would we do anything with him? He's fine here, the team is developing under Adelman. We'll see what happens as the time goes on.

I would love Afflalo though, but it would be a stupid move by Orlando.

mrblisterdundee
10-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Why would we do anything with him? He's fine here, the team is developing under Adelman. We'll see what happens as the time goes on.

I would love Afflalo though, but it would be a stupid move by Orlando.

I don't know if it would be a dumb move. Derrick Williams could really shine as the starting power forward in Orlando. He'd have more of an impact there than Arron Afflalo would in Minnesota. I think it would be a net gain for Orlando.

Hawkeye15
10-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Can't do anything with him until at least the trade deadline now with Love's hand.

We can re-visit this at that time I suppose.

C_Mund
10-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Why would the raps trade their starting sg for a backup pf when we already have 4 on the roster? Toronto's trying to make the playoffs this year, they're not a pick-your-part for the rest of the NBA

THE MTL
10-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Well, since Kevin Love is out for the first month or two......they can finally give him minutes, increase his value as much as possible and trade him. He can be pretty good on the right team. I think he should go to Phoenix

HotMayo
10-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Man it sucks to get the number two pick and hes a bust. Trade him to pistons for stuckey :clap:

thrice4
10-20-2012, 05:07 PM
If the bucks didn't have so many PF's I would say Ellis for him. Plus there would have to be salary fillers. Bucks also need more guard depth so it might not make sense there.

KnicksR4Real
10-20-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm just gonna put it out there if he's traded, he's gonna be a Brooklyn Net.

FarOutIos
10-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Am I missing something here? Why would Houston trade for a combo forward when their team is obsurdly loaded with combo forwards?

That makes no sense...

topdog
10-20-2012, 05:53 PM
He needs to work on his fumbling and watch some Al Harrington videos to fill out his game and the way he should play.

hugepatsfan
10-20-2012, 05:57 PM
He needs to work on his fumbling and watch some Al Harrington videos to fill out his game and the way he should play.

said no one ever...

AddiX
10-20-2012, 06:05 PM
said no one ever...

Crazy part is I actually agree w him.

topdog
10-20-2012, 06:20 PM
said no one ever...

It sounds ridiculous, but it's a matter of focusing on abilities rather than personalities. Harrington's abilities are a model for how athletic tweeners can be effective without a true position. His personality is that of a chucker.