PDA

View Full Version : How bad is MLB Setup/Scheduling?

Procision
10-13-2012, 01:22 AM
Anyone else think its awful? From 1 game play ins to the 2-3 format and now the yankees having to play 5 straight days in a row that will force them to use their 5 starter or have a starter come off short rest.

utl768
10-13-2012, 01:24 AM
selig strikes again

everything about that man is terrible

worst thing is games on sunday head to head with football

10-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Bad. Yanks have no starter that pitched in the ALDS ready to pitch on regular rest in game 2.

10-13-2012, 01:37 AM
I like the 2-3 format. It possibly led to all series going to 5 games. It'll be interesting how things shake out in the next couple years if they keep it.

There is nothing wrong with the Wild Card games. It was great to see the race for the 2nd Wild Card. I'd like to say I hate it because it let the Cardinals in but more teams were in the hunt later than they normally would have been which kept interest in more cities a bit longer.

Boo who for teams having to play 5 days in a row. They do it all season long and it forces teams to stay deep in the rotation to stay in it if they can't put a team away earlier in the previous series.

Playoff baseball always ends up being played on Sundays at some point. It's also on Saturdays head to head with college football. Would you rather they play baseball on Tuesday through Friday so it doesn't interfere with football? C'mon man. Oh wait, now they'd have to skip Thursday night too because there's football.

Procision
10-13-2012, 01:40 AM
I like the 2-3 format. It possibly led to all series going to 5 games. It'll be interesting how things shake out in the next couple years if they keep it.

There is nothing wrong with the Wild Card games. It was great to see the race for the 2nd Wild Card. I'd like to say I hate it because it let the Cardinals in but more teams were in the hunt later than they normally would have been which kept interest in more cities a bit longer.

Boo who for teams having to play 5 days in a row. They do it all season long and it forces teams to stay deep in the rotation to stay in it if they can't put a team away earlier in the previous series.

Playoff baseball always ends up being played on Sundays at some point. It's also on Saturdays head to head with college football. Would you rather they play baseball on Tuesday through Friday so it doesn't interfere with football? C'mon man. Oh wait, now they'd have to skip Thursday night too because there's football.

I can see arguments for people that liek the play in or the 2-3 format but the 5 days in a row is totally unfair to the Yankees. Both teams had to go 5 games to win their 1st round series and only the Yankees are going to be punished for that.

10-13-2012, 01:49 AM
I can see arguments for people that liek the play in or the 2-3 format but the 5 days in a row is totally unfair to the Yankees. Both teams had to go 5 games to win their 1st round series and only the Yankees are going to be punished for that.
If you truly are the best team that shouldn't matter. They were also the #1 team playing a team that already burned a game of one of their pitchers. Like I said, you play 5+ games in a row all season long so it's a true test of that. This year the Yankees happen to get bit by and it maybe another team will next year. It's the nature of the beast, but if you're the best, it doesn't matter how many days in a row you play.

Jeffy25
10-13-2012, 01:53 AM
This is the only year this is like this

TrueYankee
10-13-2012, 01:56 AM
It sucks. Even I was unaware of the quick turn around. I have a hot date tomorrow night, and I think I rather watch my team.

Jeffy25
10-13-2012, 01:58 AM
if it's not the girl in your sig, it isn't a hot date.

getfoul
10-13-2012, 08:34 AM
If you truly are the best team that shouldn't matter. They were also the #1 team playing a team that already burned a game of one of their pitchers. Like I said, you play 5+ games in a row all season long so it's a true test of that. This year the Yankees happen to get bit by and it maybe another team will next year. It's the nature of the beast, but if you're the best, it doesn't matter how many days in a row you play.

That's just a ridiculous argument. If one team has to play 5 days in a row during the postseason, and another team does not, obviously it's a huge advantage to the team that does not.

Verlander can start twice on regular rest, and Sabathia has to pitch on short rest at least once in order to get two starts during a 7-game ALCS. That's unfair to the Yankees, and it's not "boo hoo, just win". It's just unfair. Period.

nyyfan555
10-13-2012, 09:39 AM
This was mostly in response to 2009. Too many people b***hed about the yankees having it easy with all the rest. Of course when someone complains about the yankees changes have to be made. This is why I get pissed when people mention the money thing. Sure they spend a lot, but because of it they take a lot of crap.

mn1170
10-13-2012, 10:03 AM
That's just a ridiculous argument. If one team has to play 5 days in a row during the postseason, and another team does not, obviously it's a huge advantage to the team that does not.

Verlander can start twice on regular rest, and Sabathia has to pitch on short rest at least once in order to get two starts during a 7-game ALCS. That's unfair to the Yankees, and it's not "boo hoo, just win". It's just unfair. Period.

Give me a break. They are pro players making millions. You know why Verlander can start twice on regular rest, because the Tigers put away Oakland in 4 games instead of five. They got to sit and wait for the Yankees to play out their series. If ya want to complain, complain about your Yankees not putting away Baltimore. I guess its also not fair to the Cardinals either right?

getfoul
10-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Give me a break. They are pro players making millions. You know why Verlander can start twice on regular rest, because the Tigers put away Oakland in 4 games instead of five. They got to sit and wait for the Yankees to play out their series. If ya want to complain, complain about your Yankees not putting away Baltimore. I guess its also not fair to the Cardinals either right?

Uh, no. The Tigers won in five games.

The schedule was set up to be unfair to the AL 1-seed if that series went 5 games. Period. End of story. It makes no difference who that team was, or how much money they make. And I'm not a Yankees fan or feel sorry for them, but it's just a flaw in the scheduling this year.

And the Cardinals start the NLCS Sunday. They aren't in the same position as the Yankees having to play five days in a row.

Young2Kinsler
10-13-2012, 10:20 AM
This is the only year this is like this

But knowing this, why not delay it one season and start when you can actually plan for it properly? The scheduling was a joke, no doubt about it.

Young2Kinsler
10-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Aaaaaand you're wrong. Congrats

7chuck7
10-13-2012, 10:53 AM
It sucks. Even I was unaware of the quick turn around. I have a hot date tomorrow night, and I think I rather watch my team.

I'm sure you will get stood up and be home in plenty of time.

MelanconMadness
10-13-2012, 12:48 PM
It's one year guys. Even as a Yankee game I'll accept the one year scheduling mishap just to have seen the competitive baseball that happened down the stretch. Not to mention, teams play upwards of 20 games during the season with no break, and any team good enough to overcome it

Side note, Melky Cabrera is 4 wins away from giving his team homefield advantage in the World series. Doping or not.

Young2Kinsler
10-13-2012, 12:55 PM
It's one year guys. Even as a Yankee game I'll accept the one year scheduling mishap just to have seen the competitive baseball that happened down the stretch. Not to mention, teams play upwards of 20 games during the season with no break, and any team good enough to overcome it

Side note, Melky Cabrera is 4 wins away from giving his team homefield advantage in the World series. Doping or not.

What bet did you lose to have to put that in your sig?

seikou8
10-13-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm sure you will get stood up and be home in plenty of time.

oh ****

Public Enemy #1
10-13-2012, 01:35 PM

Your side note shows that you have no idea what you're talking about... Hate people who talk **** about stuff they clearly have no idea about. Giants played better once Melky left. Records, stats, games all show it. Get over yourself bro.

Sucks for the Yanks but I really don't feel sorry for them because I dislike them so much :laugh:

10-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Your side note shows that you have no idea what you're talking about... Hate people who talk **** about stuff they clearly have no idea about. Giants played better once Melky left. Records, stats, games all show it. Get over yourself bro.

Sucks for the Yanks but I really don't feel sorry for them because I dislike them so much :laugh:

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the ASG. Melky had a big hand in that.

Public Enemy #1
10-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure he is talking about the ASG. Melky had a big hand in that.

He had a home run. Pablo had 3 RBI's off of Verlander... Cain got the win. I beg to differ even though he ended up winning the MVP. Either way, NL destroyed the AL and would have won without Melky playing.

MetsFanatic19
10-13-2012, 01:48 PM
The worst.

Lloyd Christmas
10-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah the Yankees got hosed with the setup which is surprising. I would have thought MLB would do everything in their power to keep them around given the ratings boost the Yankees give them.

Lloyd Christmas
10-13-2012, 02:30 PM
But then again when they schedule games at the same time as NFL games they must not really care about ratings.

LOOTERX9
10-13-2012, 06:05 PM
But then again when they schedule games at the same time as NFL games they must not really care about ratings.

Yeah these mlb playoff games have been slaughtered by the NFL games head to head by as much as 3 times in the viewership. To know this and continue to schedule the games head to head with NFL games is pure suicidal of MLB. I think they are putting the yankee game on in NY at same time as GIANTS VS 49ers game, smh..

FortDetroit
10-13-2012, 06:08 PM
they should have had both AL division series and both NL division series play on the same days so that when the next round comes around everyone is on the same schedule. unfair to the yankees.

Texas Holders
10-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Imagine if the O's and A's won. O's would of had to play consecutive nights in New York and Oakland.

ReJo
10-13-2012, 07:17 PM
I really wish it were more like the NBA or NHL playoffs. 8 teams from each league make it and every series would be 7 games. It's a long process but fair and the wild card teams would really have to earn it if they were to make it to the WS.
But it'll never happen with the weather getting colder you can't play baseball games into December and January in the northern states. So they need to try different things

lavell12
10-13-2012, 09:35 PM
I picked the Tigers over the Yanks in the series b/c of the schedule. Verlander will get two starts on full rest and CC will just get one.

nr19
10-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Having the Yankees play 3 games in between the Giants last game of round one and first of round two is a total joke and completely unfair. Why should the Yankees be punished for going to game 5 when all 4 first rounds did? It has screwed up their pitching and forced them to use their bullpen in a way they wouldn't normally do and it cost them two tack on runs tonight.

I mean two night games in a row and then a day game tomorrow... insane.

mn1170
10-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Uh, no. The Tigers won in five games.

The schedule was set up to be unfair to the AL 1-seed if that series went 5 games. Period. End of story. It makes no difference who that team was, or how much money they make. And I'm not a Yankees fan or feel sorry for them, but it's just a flaw in the scheduling this year.

And the Cardinals start the NLCS Sunday. They aren't in the same position as the Yankees having to play five days in a row.

Oh yeah didnt realize that...lol..Well that really proves my point. Both teams went 5 and if the Yankees wanted a day off they should have put the Os away in 3 or 4. If they dont like it, give the slot to Tampa Bay then, I am sure they wouldnt complain.

mgsports
10-14-2012, 07:36 PM
If Crisp made that play A's could have moved on so could have Baltimore if they had walk Ibanez and to Nats if they had a walked a Cardinal and also last night Jeter not got Injured if the Tigers had walked Ichro and Ibanez in the bottom of the 9th last night.

giants73756
10-14-2012, 07:38 PM
If Crisp made that play A's could have moved on so could have Baltimore if they had walk Ibanez and to Nats if they had a walked a Cardinal and also last night Jeter not got Injured if the Tigers had walked Ichro and Ibanez in the bottom of the 9th last night.

Good idea. Teams should walk guys instead of giving up home runs. That way, they'll never give up another home run again!

HowFit
10-14-2012, 08:23 PM
The whole postseason setup is terrible...one game playoff???

OpenAvalin
10-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Very very very very bad

Pinstripe pride
10-15-2012, 09:06 AM
the post season scehdule is absolutley ******** this year. the yankees are no disadvantaged going into the ALCS becuase they had the better record, despite both the yankee and tigers sereis going 5 games each

S.P.
10-15-2012, 12:57 PM
And the best part is that there's a very good chance that for the first time in history (minus strike or war shortened seasons) that two sub-90 win teams are going to meet in the World Series.

Please Bud, expand the playoffs to 16 so we can one day see two .500 teams go at it!

getfoul
10-15-2012, 01:41 PM
And the best part is that there's a very good chance that for the first time in history (minus strike or war shortened seasons) that two sub-90 win teams are going to meet in the World Series.

Please Bud, expand the playoffs to 16 so we can one day see two .500 teams go at it!

Please, Bud. Cut the ******** with divisions- eliminate them, play a balanced schedule, send the top 3 teams to the playoffs and let the real 4th and 5th best teams play the one-game play-in game.

mgsports
10-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Makesher from Game 1 of LCS'S that TBS and FOX have their Studio Crews live from the Stadium or Dome and also ESPN to like Karl/John/Curt at Yankees/Tigers and Steve/Barry/Nomar or Aaron at Cardinals/Giants and MLB Network maybe Greg/Dan and somebody else at Tigers/Yankees.

long ball
10-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Yes the scheduling was super ****ed up because they just had to add the 2nd WC this season.
But, I think it's funny how much people complain about Selig. He's pretty easily the best commissioner in the 4 major sports leagues in the US.

10-15-2012, 09:35 PM
The current commissioners are probably the worst ever in their sports though...

Texas Holders
10-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Please, Bud. Cut the ******** with divisions- eliminate them, play a balanced schedule, send the top 3 teams to the playoffs and let the real 4th and 5th best teams play the one-game play-in game.

Well, the NL wouldn't change in that scenario.

getfoul
10-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Well, the NL wouldn't change in that scenario.

Are you referring to this season with the Braves and Cardinals?

Maybe they would have been the same two teams in the Play-In Game, but that's not really the point. The Braves should have had the opportunity to compete with the Giants for the 3-seed...assuming they would have similar records under a balanced schedule.

Also, the Cardinals went 21-11 against the Cubs and Astros. How do we know that under a more balanced schedule the Dodgers would have won the 5-seed? We'll never know how it would have turned out, but I'd rather see all 15 AL teams and all 15 NL teams play a more similar schedule and seed the teams in the right order.

And with a 1-game playoff, let's make sure it's between the 4th and 5th best teams over 162, and not give a team that's in a certain part of the country a free pass just because they won an arbitrary geographic division.

The 7th best AL team got a bye, and is about to win the AL pennant. That just ain't right. And I'm a White Sox, but I can guarantee you if they won the crappy AL Central, I'd be saying the same thing. I hate divisions. Especially now with the 5th team in. There's just no need for them.

Pinstripe pride
10-18-2012, 10:19 AM

Maybe they would have been the same two teams in the Play-In Game, but that's not really the point. The Braves should have had the opportunity to compete with the Giants for the 3-seed...assuming they would have similar records under a balanced schedule.

Also, the Cardinals went 21-11 against the Cubs and Astros. How do we know that under a more balanced schedule the Dodgers would have won the 5-seed? We'll never know how it would have turned out, but I'd rather see all 15 AL teams and all 15 NL teams play a more similar schedule and seed the teams in the right order.

And with a 1-game playoff, let's make sure it's between the 4th and 5th best teams over 162, and not give a team that's in a certain part of the country a free pass just because they won an arbitrary geographic division.

The 7th best AL team got a bye, and is about to win the AL pennant. That just ain't right. And I'm a White Sox, but I can guarantee you if they won the crappy AL Central, I'd be saying the same thing. I hate divisions. Especially now with the 5th team in. There's just no need for them.

what they should do is just not have the 5th playoff team. it was fine the way it was before

getfoul
10-18-2012, 10:29 AM
what they should do is just not have the 5th playoff team. it was fine the way it was before

It did seem better when there wasn't the extra team. Yes, the same thing could have happened, but it was 3 division winners, and the next best team made it in, and they went right to the best-of-5.

Now that there's a one-game elimination game, it just isn't right that the Tigers won 88 games from a bad division while two teams better than them over 162 missed the playoffs, and two more better teams than them had to play a one-game elimination game.

It isn't as simple as saying, "Win your division and you don't have to worry about it". It's a flawed system, and it makes baseball look stupid. They have the time and the resources to play a close-to-balanced league schedule, and that's what they should do once Bud goes away. Hopefully we'll see more examples like the Tigers over the next few years, and they'll finally come to their senses and end divisions.

Faabs89
10-18-2012, 10:31 AM
I really wish it were more like the NBA or NHL playoffs. 8 teams from each league make it and every series would be 7 games. It's a long process but fair and the wild card teams would really have to earn it if they were to make it to the WS.
But it'll never happen with the weather getting colder you can't play baseball games into December and January in the northern states. So they need to try different things

Why not use the NFL format... top two teams get byes and have three wild card teams versus the worst ranked division champ. Gives more teams a chance to make it. First round 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5 - 3 or 5 game series. Second round 1 vs winner of 1 series, 2nd vs same thing 5 game series. LCS series 7 games and so on... it's not that difficult.

Sincerely a Jays fan :)

Faabs89
10-18-2012, 10:41 AM

It all comes down to travel man. I agree with you completely but it just doesn't make economical sense for the western teams to play the eastern teams as many times as they ply each other. It would just cost teams so much money. That's the reason there are divisions.

getfoul
10-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Why not use the NFL format... top two teams get byes and have three wild card teams versus the worst ranked division champ. Gives more teams a chance to make it. First round 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5 - 3 or 5 game series. Second round 1 vs winner of 1 series, 2nd vs same thing 5 game series. LCS series 7 games and so on... it's not that difficult.

It would probably work and penalize a team like the Tigers this year, even though they would get to host the game.

But I think 5 of 15 for baseball is perfect. It's better to have more teams chasing the 5th spot, not just giving more spots. If they add a 6th team, almost every team over .500 would qualify for the postseason. At that point, the 162-game schedule would be less important and lead to less compelling races. In baseball, it's supposed to be hard to make the playoffs. That's what makes it better than other sports.

getfoul
10-18-2012, 10:52 AM
It all comes down to travel man. I agree with you completely but it just doesn't make economical sense for the western teams to play the eastern teams as many times as they ply each other. It would just cost teams so much money. That's the reason there are divisions.

I know that's the line they use, but it just isn't good enough for me. The Mariners will always have an awful travel schedule...that's just the way it is.

If they went to a balanced league schedule, but focused the 9 road interleague games more regionally, it's not that much different than what they have now.

getfoul
10-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Just looking at the AL teams that play in the pacific time zone, this is what they have next year for travel, by time zone:

Angels--
West: 7 series, 22 games
Central: 11 series, 34 games
East: 8 series, 25 games

A's--
West: 7 series, 20 games
Central: 10 series, 32 games
East: 9 series, 29 games

Mariners--
West: 7 series, 21 games
Central: 10 series, 32 games
East: 9 series, 28 games

Under my plan, the Astros go back to NL. The Rockies or Dbacks move to the AL, so both leagues are equal by time zone- 7 east, 4 central, 4 pac/mtn.

Then it's this for all 8 teams in the west, with at least two of the three road interleague series in the west time zones:
West: 9/26 or 8/23
Central: 7/22 or 6/19
East: 11/36 or 12/39

It's more road games in the East time zone, but it's also more games within their own time zone. To me, the trade off is worth it for a more balanced schedule. Plus they could do a better job scheduling road trips that make sense, with off days around cross-country trips.

Plus with 5 NL teams in the west time zones currently, it would even it up for the NL East teams, plus Pirates and Reds going out west more than the AL teams in the east that only have to go to 3 locations.

Pinstripe pride
10-18-2012, 01:54 PM
It did seem better when there wasn't the extra team. Yes, the same thing could have happened, but it was 3 division winners, and the next best team made it in, and they went right to the best-of-5.

Now that there's a one-game elimination game, it just isn't right that the Tigers won 88 games from a bad division while two teams better than them over 162 missed the playoffs, and two more better teams than them had to play a one-game elimination game.

It isn't as simple as saying, "Win your division and you don't have to worry about it". It's a flawed system, and it makes baseball look stupid. They have the time and the resources to play a close-to-balanced league schedule, and that's what they should do once Bud goes away. Hopefully we'll see more examples like the Tigers over the next few years, and they'll finally come to their senses and end divisions.

a one game elimination at all is not right, regardless of who plays in it

Pinstripe pride
10-18-2012, 01:54 PM

time off doesn't help in basbeall, it actually hurts

getfoul
10-18-2012, 02:01 PM
a one game elimination at all is not right, regardless of who plays in it

It's more palatable if you know it's the 4th and 5th best teams over 162 games.

getfoul
10-18-2012, 02:03 PM

I hate to use the word "narrative", but that's what it is. I think it can hurt some players/teams, but it can also help some players and teams. To me, it's an excuse after the fact.

We'll see how the Tigers do if they get 6 days off.

Pinstripe pride
10-18-2012, 02:25 PM
I hate to use the word "narrative", but that's what it is. I think it can hurt some players/teams, but it can also help some players and teams. To me, it's an excuse after the fact.

We'll see how the Tigers do if they get 6 days off.

lets put it this way, the best team should not have to worry about whether a week off will hurt their players

Faabs89
10-18-2012, 02:48 PM

I agree, but 5 is dumb imo. 162 games just to play one more to see whether all those games were worth it. By adding extra teams it gives lower market teams a chance to succeed and win by going on a run late in the season and so maybe teams like NYY, STL, SF, Detroit, Texas, Boston etc from always making the LCS games. I mean i'm biased because my team hasn't made the playoffs in 19 years but still. And it wouldnt be like the team would be resting a lot. The first series of 3v6 and 4v5 would be a 3 game series so 4 days max. Usually the teams being 1 and 2 in their respective leagues would have won that spot by mid September meaning they've most liekly been resting their starters since then anyways.. What is an extra 4 days before they start the LDS. I don't know, it's not going to happen anytime soon but it would be nice to see some more teams playing playoff type games.

I think being a hockey fan has made me realize that it's so often a lower seed can sneak into the playoffs and make a run at the title. I don't see why this can't happen for baseball either