PDA

View Full Version : Storm Brewing in the Bronx?

jagsox32
10-12-2012, 04:46 PM
I have no source or site reference to serve as a starting point for the thread, but does anyone else get the feeling the Yankees are due to implode? The average age of Yankee starters has to be easily be the highest in the league. There is not one starter in tonight's lineup below the age of 29. Arod and Jeter are 37, Swisher is a fa, Tex is on decline and 32, Cano is going to get an outrageous contract, Ichiro is almost 40 and a fa, Kuorda and Pettite are 40, CC is 32 and locked in a massive contract, Soraino will opt out and Rivera is 43 coming off a torn ACL, and the farm leaves much to be desired. Their best player is Raul Ibanez who is close to over the hill as well. The Yankees had always had that Yankee way of turning whatever hand they're dealt with into gold but with these massive sunk costs and them already showing signs of deterioration (A-Rod not starting in the playoffs) I cannot help but wonder if they will soon have to blow things up the way the Red Sox have had to do.

mzg32
10-12-2012, 06:21 PM
I think that's due to happen soon. The only thing is that probably they'll get deeper into the hole singing more veterans and expensive FAs. I hope this scenario hits them hard soon and that it'll take a lot of time to get out of it

Nomar
10-12-2012, 06:38 PM
They have a stopper/ace in Sabathia. Williams, Austin, Sanchez, and Heathcott look like solid players in their farm. They get Pineda back next year even though im skeptical of him. Hughes is also improving.

Resigning Granderson may put them in a hole, but besides the A-Rod deal they dont seem like they are set up to have a season this bad.

bigpapi3438
10-12-2012, 07:18 PM
They are getting old but you lost all credibility when you said their best player is Raul Ibanez..is that a joke? Cano is definitely their best player and Ibanez, despite recent heroics isn't even a starter for them

Super.
10-12-2012, 07:41 PM
They are getting old but you lost all credibility when you said their best player is Raul Ibanez..is that a joke? Cano is definitely their best player and Ibanez, despite recent heroics isn't even a starter for them

Yeah....this....

GrkGawdofWalkz
10-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I have no source or site reference to serve as a starting point for the thread, but does anyone else get the feeling the Yankees are due to implode? The average age of Yankee starters has to be easily be the highest in the league. There is not one starter in tonight's lineup below the age of 29. Arod and Jeter are 37, Swisher is a fa, Tex is on decline and 32, Cano is going to get an outrageous contract, Ichiro is almost 40 and a fa, Kuorda and Pettite are 40, CC is 32 and locked in a massive contract, Soraino will opt out and Rivera is 43 coming off a torn ACL, and the farm leaves much to be desired. Their best player is Raul Ibanez who is close to over the hill as well. The Yankees had always had that Yankee way of turning whatever hand they're dealt with into gold but with these massive sunk costs and them already showing signs of deterioration (A-Rod not starting in the playoffs) I cannot help but wonder if they will soon have to blow things up the way the Red Sox have had to do.

Derek Jeter, Robinson Cano, CC Sabathia, Curtis Granderson, and others beg to differ. Woah woah woah. They are older than most teams and cash strapped due to large contracts but at the same time where are they imploding. I'm not being a Yankees fan in disguise, but they've been semi consistent. Aside from blowing leads. That being said, I doubt they blow anything up. They don't have a way to get out of Alex Rodriguez's deal or Teixeira's likely. Getting back to the Red Sox lets go MIKE MADDUX for Manager!

SirHizz
10-12-2012, 08:29 PM
They have a stopper/ace in Sabathia. Williams, Austin, Sanchez, and Heathcott look like solid players in their farm. They get Pineda back next year even though im skeptical of him. Hughes is also improving.

Resigning Granderson may put them in a hole, but besides the A-Rod deal they dont seem like they are set up to have a season this bad.

Agreed. CC is a lock, a bonafide ace. Pineda is a gamble at this point. This was a fishy deal to begin with. Why would the M's trade a young starter of his caliber? Didn't make sense, even for a guy like Montero.
Kuroda's return is questionable, Dodgers could take him back to his beloved WC.

Age is definitely gonna catch up to them and if they are serious about the 189 mark, they won't have any flexbility over the next years besides re-signing Cano for over 200+ million.

I expect the Yanks to have at least one mediocre (.500) season at some point, but you gotta give them credit. No doubt, their payroll is and has basically always been huge, but even those teams miss the playoffs at some point (look no further than us and the Phillies). They are just spending their money wiser.
Yanks needed an ace --> CC (is he really much more expensive than Beckett and Lackey)
Yanks needed a 1B --> Teixeira (while I think Adrian is the better player, Teix is no slouch and didn't cost the Yanks any prospects at all)

We basically refused to go after any ace over the past few years. Not even in the running for CC and Lee (+ unable to get Halladay and Gio)

Again, how is that much different to the millions wasted for the likes of Lackey, Crawford, Beckett and Cameron? We just went after the wrong FA's over the past years.

bagwell368
10-12-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm basically fixated on AROD for now. I expect that Yanks to try to buy him out of his contract for 2014. AROD has a lot of pride and if he keeps falling off he's not going to want to endure the boos.

Jeter is aging, and hopefully for them he leaves when his current contract is up.

They will be as usual be fine through all of this.

Station 13
10-12-2012, 09:33 PM
They only need to get under 189M for 1 year to reset the refund for them, they'll be back to spending to replenish their roster. They missed the 2008 playoff, spent almost $500M that offseason. They're the MFY and will give Felix Hernandez a huge contract if he hits FA.

AI
10-13-2012, 02:31 AM
They will always be fine.

Reversed86Curse
10-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Yankees= money, money= big name free agents

Doubt they dive, maybe one "rebuilding year" w 85 wins or something

Vintage
10-13-2012, 02:38 PM
And yet they won...

Clean slate now against the Tigers.

Its amazing how 5 games (where they came out the victor!) can cause such an over reactionary thread like this.

Not to mention they won 95 games during the regular season.

This is not an attempt to troll by any means. Just stating the facts.

bagwell368
10-13-2012, 10:25 PM
And yet they won...

Clean slate now against the Tigers.

Its amazing how 5 games (where they came out the victor!) can cause such an over reactionary thread like this.

Not to mention they won 95 games during the regular season.

This is not an attempt to troll by any means. Just stating the facts.

The facts you want, here you go:

AROD will be 37 mid way through next year: his OPS+ & games played since 2007:

176 - 158
150 - 138
138 - 124
123 - 137
119 - 099
112 - 122

Money owed not including bonuses through 2017:

13:$28M
14:$25M
15:$21M
16:$20M
17:$20M

I would call that a serious issue for the Yankees:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Teixera:

2013-16:$22.5M annually

OPS+ since 2008:

Teixera has gone from a top 10 AL hitter to just a bit above average for a 1B. They owe him $90M the next 4 years.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Petitte will be 41 in June, is he coming back, if so what does he have in the tank?

Jeter is 39 in June. His defense is awful, and as nice a year as he had batting, he still fell off badly in May, June, and September. Owe him $17M in 2013 and an option/buyout thereafter. Then what? Let him chase Rose?

The only two good starters they had were Kuroda (who is a FA), and Sabathia who is a 315 lb blob, who had his worst year since 2008. Hughes was league average and Nova was a replacement level player.

Cano is going to be looking for a $160+M contract.

Swisher is gone.

Granderson hit .232 with a .319 OBP. He'll be 32 in March. What's he got left in the tank?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As usual the Yankees will come up with some clever options. But to think this roster and the state of the team isn't a major concern is asinine.

Nomar
10-14-2012, 12:14 PM
If theyre smart they let Granderson walk next year

bagwell368
10-14-2012, 01:21 PM
If theyre smart they let Granderson walk next year

And sign Ellsbury - which I've been saying for almost 3 years.

-Lavigne43-
10-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Signing Ellsbury wouldn't be smart.

bagwell368
10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Signing Ellsbury wouldn't be smart.

I agree. I want a 6 year $132M contract given too Ellsbury. Too bad he didn't repeat '11, he would have gotten 175 for 7.....

BackyardRounder
10-14-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't see what this has to do with the Red Sox and it seems like someone suggests this every year.

jagsox32
10-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the numbers Bagwell, and for whoever thought I was serious about Raul Ibanez being the Yanks best player welp.... You don't see how this has to do with the Red Sox? The Yankees Red Sox rivalry is the biggest in sports and they have been the thorn in our side since uh forever so I think it would be advantageous for us if the implode... If people haven't noticed, spending big in fa is not the way to build a Championship team anymore, those days are in the past. How did the Dodgers, Angels, and Phillies end up doing this year?

Yes, the Yankees have an ace who is not getting younger, but after that they are relying on two 40 year old pitchers. The best pitcher in fa this year is Kyle Lohse... teams are locking up their cornerstone players and fa will never be what it once was. The point is, the Sox have a solid farm which is only going to get stronger through this year's draft while the Yankees are simply getting older and more expensive. You can't buy 20 year old draft picks... Don't get me wrong, the Yanks will always remain competitive because of management but no longer are the days you can buy a championship team. I think the current series with the Tigers serves as a possible indication for things to come.

JobaRules26
10-15-2012, 03:02 PM
They need to blow up their line up. Let Swisher and Granderson walk. Trade Cano if possible. Call the Dodgers to see if they are interested in Arod. I'd have no problem with them rebuilding just like the Red Sox. You guys will be in great shape, the latest, 2 years. Honestly, this team had no business beating Baltimore. They play with no heart and need a makeover in the worst way.

MiamiBoy77
10-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Is anyone else loving the Yankees get embarrassed right now?

ne3xchamps
10-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Is anyone else loving the Yankees get embarrassed right now?

oh yeah, amen to that.