PDA

View Full Version : Where would a prime Scotte Pippen rank in the NBA today?

DanG
10-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Simple question.

Uncbball234
10-12-2012, 08:57 AM
I would only put Lebron and maybe KD ahead of him

GottaLoveCubs
10-12-2012, 09:02 AM

Seems about right. Especially when comparing all around game, not just scoring.

BklynKnicks3
10-12-2012, 09:10 AM
no chance he is top 5 top 20 maybe top 15

xcrisisx
10-12-2012, 09:15 AM
top 5 are you serious? he's only the 3th small forward in today's nba

meloman1592
10-12-2012, 09:15 AM
He'd be iguadala with a better shot. Top 10 player

I Rock Shaqs
10-12-2012, 09:24 AM

Im pretty sure that's 3rd.... What would 3th even sound like?

Uncbball234
10-12-2012, 09:28 AM
no chance he is top 5 top 20 maybe top 15

Please list 10 then

xcrisisx
10-12-2012, 09:28 AM

ya I'm not a native speaker, excuse me kiddo

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 09:33 AM

:laugh:

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 09:35 AM

Na he would be a rich man's Iggy doing everything better than he did with a higher IQ. I'd have him top 10 for sure but I can see why someone would see him as top 5 even.

C_Mund
10-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Take KD
Remove 5 ppg
Add 2 apg
Add 2 rpg
add the best defense in the league

I'd say he's like a bigger Chris Paul. Only Lebron is better in my opinion.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-12-2012, 09:43 AM
SF
1. LeBron
2. Pippen
3. KD

Which would basically mean, scottie would easily be a top 3 player in the nba currently.
end of discussion.

he's basically a better one on one defender than lebron, and can guard 1-3 easily. and hold his own against the 4.
tremendous versatility.. not a 30 ppg person, so that would hold him back from being the best sf or player in todays nba, but he is easily a top 5 player.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Lol, voted 30 by accident.

He's top 10 for sure, and possibly top 5.

LongWayFromHome
10-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Prime Pippen was 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th , 10th and 11th in MVP voting during the glory days of the 90's.

When Jordan was gone he avg 22, 6 AST and over 8 reb and 2.9stl with decent eff while being the best perimeter defender in the league and getting his team deep into the playoffs as the number 1 option. And his WS were always extremely high.

Raidaz4Life
10-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Lol, voted 30 by accident.

I'd agree with this. I'll give him top 5 though.

BklynKnicks3
10-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Please list 10 then

lebron Melo durant kobe dwight cp3 rose wade dirk rondo dwill. Pippen was great but without jordan iam pretty sure he has 0 rings and is far from atop 50 player without them. I dont see a team being successful with pippen as the number 1 option he doesnt have that kind of offensive game. I know they won 54 when jordan retired but that was a year where the whoel team had career years. Bj armstrong horce grant all stars and kokuc 6th man of the year. Another thing about pippen he was agreat defender back then but who did he shut down the only guy that was any threat to him for most his career was on his team. When guys that are 6'7 like penny hardaway came in the nba they torched pippen. No wu have alot of 6'7 6'8 guys that can handle the ball and beat u many ways. Pippen was a combo of granger and iggy

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Rajon Rondo better than Scottie Pippen yes ladies and gentlemen you just read that :laugh2:

JasonJohnHorn
10-12-2012, 11:11 AM
As a small forward I'd rank him 3rd... obviously Durant and LBJ are a head of him there. I'm not sure that he would crack my top five... I'd have to make room for CP3 in there, then there's Kobe... Dwight... Kevin Love... he'd be in my top ten for sure though.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-12-2012, 11:20 AM
lebron Melo durant kobe dwight cp3 rose wade dirk rondo dwill. Pippen was great but without jordan iam pretty sure he has 0 rings and is far from atop 50 player without them. I dont see a team being successful with pippen as the number 1 option he doesnt have that kind of offensive game. I know they won 54 when jordan retired but that was a year where the whoel team had career years. Bj armstrong horce grant all stars and kokuc 6th man of the year. Another thing about pippen he was agreat defender back then but who did he shut down the only guy that was any threat to him for most his career was on his team. When guys that are 6'7 like penny hardaway came in the nba they torched pippen. No wu have alot of 6'7 6'8 guys that can handle the ball and beat u many ways. Pippen was a combo of granger and iggy

Maybe you're new to the NBA, so let me help you with a few bs that you wrote down.
Pippen guarded the opponents best players majority of the time, and did so more during the Bulls second 3-peat.

Pippen: Charles Barkley, James Worthy, Dominique Wilkens, Anfernee Hardaway, Larry Nance, Glen Rice, Chris Mullin, Anthony Mason, Jamal Mashburn, Bryon Russell, Juwan Howard.

GAME 2 OF THE NBA FINALS IN 1991, WHERE HE CHANGED THE MOMENTUM OF THE SERIES BY SWITCHING ONTO MAGIC JOHNSON.

BklynKnicks3
10-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Maybe you're new to the NBA, so let me help you with a few bs that you wrote down.
Pippen guarded the opponents best players majority of the time, and did so more during the Bulls second 3-peat.

Pippen: Charles Barkley, James Worthy, Dominique Wilkens, Anfernee Hardaway, Larry Nance, Glen Rice, Chris Mullin, Anthony Mason, Jamal Mashburn, Bryon Russell, Juwan Howard.

GAME 2 OF THE NBA FINALS IN 1991, WHERE HE CHANGED THE MOMENTUM OF THE SERIES BY SWITCHING ONTO MAGIC JOHNSON.

lmao u are gonna teach me i been watching basketball since bulls vs lakers finals. Penny hardaway torched pippen and jordan his career number vs both them is 24.7 ppg on 48%. You just named byron russell as a tough guard smh,Juwan howard was decent played for avg team/Anthony mason is a avg player and iam a knick fan/ Mashburn was a good scorer on bad team/ Pippen actually guarded magic and worthy just to teach u. Larry nance was more of a pf. When did pippen play mullin on d in any important games glen rice was good not a special player. Wilkins was great so u really named 2 guys in the hwol league that where ellite. You are going to compare that to Lebron/Melo/Durant/primetmac/prime vince/wade/dirk/prime grant hill/ even iggy and granger are better then half the guys u named. Pierce can go on and on just stop befor ei own u even more

theheatles
10-12-2012, 11:33 AM
top 15

BklynKnicks3
10-12-2012, 11:35 AM
top 15 is about right like i said u can make a case for him from 11-15 but not higher

3baller9
10-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Not a month ago me and my buddies were watching every finals game from that Bulls team and Pippen impressed us all. The way he played.. he was not just great at defence but was also very good PG and one of the smartest players ever.

Top 5 in todays NBA and he was top 5 even when he played but didn't get the hype and we all know why.

DR_1
10-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Best player in the league

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 11:58 AM

That's false. (http://chasing23.com/did-scottie-pippen-always-guard-the-other-teams-best-player/) MJ was the one who was guarding the opposing team's best player.

C_Mund
10-12-2012, 12:14 PM

I can't agree with much of this at all. Dwill better than Pippen? Pip took his team to the conference finals after they'd just lost the best player of all time. People tend to forget that Pip's prime years coincided with Jordan's early prime.

Again, there's no way for me to state my opinion as fact, but I truly believe that had he 5-10 years as the alpha dog on his team he could have won a ring or two. He was a supreme 2-way player that was efficient and was pretty much the size and (nearly) the strength and athleticism as Lebron with a similar skill-set. Calling him a combo of two players that he was clearly better than is off base. The fact that people say Kobe is so much better is a moot point. Had Scottie been given the permanent reigns to the Bulls as he entered his prime (and also given other all-NBA players to play along side), there's no evidence to speak against him being a winner and finals MVP.

sfattahian
10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
2nd best defender in the league after Dwight. Taller and much longer than LeBron. Amazing dribble drive ability in his prime. Can do it all, top 3 player right now after LeBron and Dwight Howard. KD not well-rounded enough. Many better scorers than Scotty, but only 1 better all around player-LeBron. Dwight is a force so he'd be #2. That leaves Pippen (in his prime of course) as #3.

Chris Paul might be better too, so Pippen at #4.

Sly Guy
10-12-2012, 12:26 PM

pretty much this. I came into the thread about to comment saying that he'd be the only guy that might be capable of containing these two

ClearSoulForce
10-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Top 5. Scottie Take off Jordan and throw in a Drexler (still a superstar obviously) and the Bulls still win a chip behind Pippen.

abe_froman
10-12-2012, 12:31 PM
among sf? he'd be top 3
among all players? top 20(top 15 but that isnt an option)

dh144498
10-12-2012, 12:33 PM

we're not talking about legacy. We're talking about the best players in the league. Prime Pippen definitely has a case for top 5.
Based on 2012 season: only players who were better than Pippen for sure are Lebron, Durant and Dwight. Melo and Rose had no case over Pippen, absolutely not.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
top 10 for sure. Closer to top 5 but I think just on the outside.

Heediot
10-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Borderline top 5. Still behind James, Howard, Paul, Durant

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Not 5 or 10, maybe 15, 20 for sure...Melo who is arguably the one of the best scorers in the league is around the bottom of the top 10 imo, no way pippen who was just a better passer than him makes it in, the league is way more developed than it was when he played...although he would be a candidate for DPOY almost every yr

sfattahian
10-12-2012, 12:40 PM
People are drastically underrating Pippen. Did somebody really compare him to Iguodala? Lol Think Jordan would have had 2 three-peats with Iggi.

Pippens defense and athleticism at 6'9" with a 7'6 wingspan was and is unprecedented. If any of you have played basketball against somebody who is much longer and more athletic than you you will appreciate how disruptive it can be. How many guys at 6 foot nine with that length can run the fast-break like a point guard? And lock down 4 positions on defense.

Nobody has mentioned that after Jordan retired Pippen made it to the Eastern conference finals pretty much single-handedly. During that playoff run his dribble drive ability was phenomenal… He could get to the basket at will in a half-court situation.

He's in the top 50 players of all-time. There are maybe five active players in the NBA who will make the top 50 of all time, Kobe Bryant being one of them but he is way past his prime.

LeBron
Dwight
Paul
Pippen
Kobe
KD

People love Durrant but tell me one other thing he does well beside score? Rebound? Pass? Defend? Dribble? None of the above.

Kevin Love??? Maybe down the road but he hasn't even played a playoff game in his life. You can't project future greatness in this discussion. He racks up stats on a crappy team, he's very talented as a rebounder and scorer but hasn't proven he can win or lead a team.

Rose is 1-dimensional, not even top-3 point guards in the league.

Dirk is passed it as is KG.

dh144498
10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Not 5 or 10, maybe 15, 20 for sure...Melo who is arguably the one of the best scorers in the league is around the bottom of the top 10 imo, no way pippen who was just a better passer than him makes it in, the league is way more developed than it was when he played...although he would be a candidate for DPOY almost every yr

Pippen's defense alone is at least equal to Melo's inconsistent offense.
It's crazy how underrated Pippen gets. IDK if it's just the Jordan stans or what. Stating that Pippen is borderline top 20 in the league is just ridiculous....

Heediot
10-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Ain't pippen six seven?

abe_froman
10-12-2012, 12:52 PM
It's crazy how underrated Pippen gets. IDK if it's just the Jordan stans or what. Stating that Pippen is borderline top 20 in the league is just ridiculous....

he gets both underrated and overrated much of the time,he's just one of those guys that its hard to get "right"

but def agree with your post

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Indeed melo is inconsistent at times, but i can pretty much guarantee if you gave every gm in the league the option to chose between the two they would take melo over pippen...dont get me wrong he was amazing on defense but his offensive skill set would be mediocre at best as of RIGHT NOW, the league is way too developed, players are faster, stronger and more elusive than back when he played...that was the main reason why it was such a uproar with A.I. when he came in, which was pretty much around the time the nba started to evolve

freedas
10-12-2012, 12:54 PM

probaby sound like threeth

However, I think prime pippen would be around 7th or 8th.

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Indeed melo is inconsistent at times, but i can pretty much guarantee if you gave every gm in the league the option to chose between the two they would take melo over pippen...dont get me wrong he was amazing on defense but his offensive skill set would be mediocre at best as of RIGHT NOW, the league is way too developed, players are faster, stronger and more elusive than back when he played...that was the main reason why it was such a uproar with A.I. when he came in, which was pretty much around the time the nba started to evolve

That's just flat out wrong.

KingPosey
10-12-2012, 01:01 PM

He would be better than Iggy in every facet of the game really. He'd be a super Iggy.

C_Mund
10-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Did you know that Pip, at like 6'8 with a 7'5 wingspan at one time had a 48" vertical?

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 01:03 PM
That's just flat out wrong.

so your telling me if all 32 teams in the league were in the need of a sf they would take a prime pippen over a prime Melo? lol ok

KingPosey
10-12-2012, 01:04 PM

I completely disagree, there is not this huge chasm of distance between players that played this last generation vs the athleticism of players today like everyone claims. We arent talking about players from the 60s.

I hate when people act like the talent gap is anything tangible from guys who were playing in the 90s.

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 01:08 PM
so your telling me if all 32 teams in the league were in the need of a sf they would take a prime pippen over a prime Melo? lol ok

:eyebrow:

There is ONE thing that Melo does better than Pippen and he isn't even elite in that regard. Pippen's playmaking makes up for his lack of scoring compared to Melo. When we talk about defense, leadership, intangibles, IQ etc its not even a discussion.

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Did you know that Pip, at like 6'8 with a 7'5 wingspan at one time had a 48" vertical?

which is why i stated he would be a shoe in for DPOY almost every yr, but you have to understand this is an offensive driven league right now, even if "YOU" make a top 10 I can bet 4-5 players on your list dont play defense that well, but are extremely talented offensively

dh144498
10-12-2012, 01:12 PM
which is why i stated he would be a shoe in for DPOY almost every yr, but you have to understand this is an offensive driven league right now, even if "YOU" make a top 10 I can bet 4-5 players on your list dont play defense that well, but are extremely talented offensively

Look there are only 2 things Melo does better than pippen: freethrow shooting and closing games. Pippen does everything else better. So I won't say who the GMs are going to choose, but I disagree with what you said about that most of them would choose Melo over Pippen. At the very best (or worst) it's a wash. But I'd definitely take Pippen.

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I completely disagree, there is not this huge chasm of distance between players that played this last generation vs the athleticism of players today like everyone claims. We arent talking about players from the 60s.

I hate when people act like the talent gap is anything tangible from guys who were playing in the 90s.

you can disagree all you like thats your opinion, but when Iverson, vince carter, and kobe emerged in the league it was a new genre, nobody every seen quickness, crossovers and dunks like they did with them

10-12-2012, 01:16 PM
1. Lebron
2. Pippen
3. Durant

There's my top 3 in the NBA if Pippen was playing now.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Yea, actually, you are wrong.

Pippen's defensive, playmaking and other intangibles completely make up for Melo's overrated offensive skills.

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 01:19 PM
:eyebrow:

There is ONE thing that Melo does better than Pippen and he isn't even elite in that regard. Pippen's playmaking makes up for his lack of scoring compared to Melo. When we talk about defense, leadership, intangibles, IQ etc its not even a discussion.

well if that is the case can you explain how come rondo is always ranked lower than cp3, deron williams & westbrook? because clearly his defense, leadership, intangibles and basketball IQ surpasses them all, other than maybe cp3(leaderhip, IQ)

49ersLALSFGiant
10-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Top 5 without a doubt

Raps18-19 Champ
10-12-2012, 01:21 PM
well if that is the case can you explain how come rondo is always ranked lower than cp3, deron williams & westbrook? because clearly his defense, leadership, intangibles and basketball IQ surpasses them all, other than maybe cp3(leaderhip, IQ)

Because Rondo is completely **** on offense while the rest can be 20 and 10 players.

It's not even the same comparison because Pippen was still able to put up 20 PPG along with the defense, leadership and other stuff he brings.

C_Mund

Uh.... yeah. I'd take Pip over Melo in a heartbeat.

abe_froman

no it doesnt.this is the first i heard of rondo's leadership in a positive way and cp3 is better defensively

NYYCowboys
10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I can't believe in this thread that I've read that D-Will, and Melo are better players than Pippen :laugh: :facepalm:

nickdymez
10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
That's false. (http://chasing23.com/did-scottie-pippen-always-guard-the-other-teams-best-player/) MJ was the one who was guarding the opposing team's best player.

Thats false, Pippin was the teams lock down perimeter defender. Jordan would guard the players in certain situations.

DubbyDubbs
10-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Top 5 for sure. a good argument would be that only LBJ is ahead of him and I would agree. KD maybe.

jp611
10-12-2012, 01:29 PM
If he still played for the Bulls he'd be a bum... That's how PSD works

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Look there are only 2 things Melo does better than pippen: freethrow shooting and closing games. Pippen does everything else better. So I won't say who the GMs are going to choose, but I disagree with what you said about that most of them would choose Melo over Pippen. At the very best (or worst) it's a wash. But I'd definitely take Pippen.

Im looking at it from a perspective of a gm who Is looking for a player to build around, and maybe not all but a majority of the gm's are going to go for the player who can score, high freethrow %, and who can close games....

lets just take a look at some of the top players who fall in this category

Durant
Dirk
Love
cp3

just to name a few

Look not every player is kobe, or lebron who can put up outstanding numbers and play good defense as well, but your talking melo at his prime who is a scoring a machine from anywhere on the floor which is rare, you can find a good defensive player, but a scoorer at melo's level not too many

Raps18-19 Champ
10-12-2012, 01:30 PM
KD would be better than Pippen if both were in their prime IMO.

Durant is basically a modern day Larry Bird in a sense.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Im looking at it from a perspective of a gm who Is looking for a player to build around, and maybe not all but a majority of the gm's are going to go for the player who can score, high freethrow %, and who can close games....

Durant
Dirk
Love
cp3

just to name a few

Look not every player is kobe, or lebron who can put up outstanding numbers and play good defense as well, but your talking melo at his prime who is a scoring a machine from anywhere on the floor which is rare, you can find a good defensive player, but a scoorer at melo's level not too many

Wrong. They take the BPA. In this case, Pippen.

Da Knicks
10-12-2012, 01:35 PM
I guess it depends on the surroundings, Pippen would be good for a team that lacks defense. If they need scoring Durant, Bron, Melo would be better choices, defensively Pip would be better than all three. As far as leadership i think i still take the above mentioned over pippen, He was kind of a whiner. His ability to pass and slash to the basket make him a poor mans lebron with better defense because the lack of weight he carried. He would not be able to cover pf's as well as Bron but in todays league he would be able to do it for short periods of time. Imo he would be like a better Igoudala in todays game, would of loved to see him d up Durant though. I think Melo would destroy him with the post up game and now that Bron is developing one himself he too would take him down low. I think Pip for some reason would give Bron fits, same type of player imo except Lebron is just stronger...

Da Knicks
10-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Durant
Dirk
Love
cp3

just to name a few

x10:clap:

Andrew32
10-12-2012, 01:43 PM
3-7 range probably.

BIG worm
10-12-2012, 01:44 PM

rondo? dwill? melo?durant? are u ****ing serious??? did u watch 90s basketball? like at all?? melo???????

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Because Rondo is completely **** on offense while the rest can be 20 and 10 players.

It's not even the same comparison because Pippen was still able to put up 20 PPG along with the defense, leadership and other stuff he brings.

so what your saying is all of pippin defense abilities, basketball IQ and intangibles makes up for his 7-8 ppg difference between him and melo but Rondo's defense abilities, basketball IQ and intangibles doesnt make up for his 7-8 ppg difference between him, cp3, d-will and westbrook? ok

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Uh.... yeah. I'd take Pip over Melo in a heartbeat.

your opinion, not a GM's

BIG worm
10-12-2012, 01:50 PM
People are drastically underrating Pippen. Did somebody really compare him to Iguodala? Lol Think Jordan would have had 2 three-peats with Iggi.

Pippens defense and athleticism at 6'9" with a 7'6 wingspan was and is unprecedented. If any of you have played basketball against somebody who is much longer and more athletic than you you will appreciate how disruptive it can be. How many guys at 6 foot nine with that length can run the fast-break like a point guard? And lock down 4 positions on defense.

Nobody has mentioned that after Jordan retired Pippen made it to the Eastern conference finals pretty much single-handedly. During that playoff run his dribble drive ability was phenomenal… He could get to the basket at will in a half-court situation.

He's in the top 50 players of all-time. There are maybe five active players in the NBA who will make the top 50 of all time, Kobe Bryant being one of them but he is way past his prime.

LeBron
Dwight
Paul
Pippen
Kobe
KD

People love Durrant but tell me one other thing he does well beside score? Rebound? Pass? Defend? Dribble? None of the above.

Kevin Love??? Maybe down the road but he hasn't even played a playoff game in his life. You can't project future greatness in this discussion. He racks up stats on a crappy team, he's very talented as a rebounder and scorer but hasn't proven he can win or lead a team.

Rose is 1-dimensional, not even top-3 point guards in the league.

Dirk is passed it as is KG.

rose not top 3 pg in the league??? dont give me cp3 being better, rose consistantly murders cp3 in their match ups! dwill isnt better...who else u got???

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 01:50 PM
no it doesnt.this is the first i heard of rondo's leadership in a positive way and cp3 is better defensively

lol are you serious? you much dont watch much basketball

BIG worm
10-12-2012, 01:51 PM
your opinion, not a GM's

as are everyone elses on here. whats your point? you a gm?

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Thats false, Pippin was the teams lock down perimeter defender. Jordan would guard the players in certain situations.

Did you click on the link? Or did you just go off your opinion?

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 01:55 PM
keetyweedy said earlier that there were 32 teams in the league. Anyone with a brain knows that he has NO idea what an NBA GM would do. Doesn't even make sense taking him seriously.

Eg714
10-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Lebron
Kd
Dwight
Cp3
Pippin-Kobe

Those would be my top 6 with either Kobe or Pippin in the 5 spot. He would be the 3rd best defender and the 3rd best playmaker. He would also be the least best scorer out of those 6. Rebounding he would also be 3rd.

Pippin is getting underrated by a lot of people and also overrated by a few. He's top ten for sure in today's game and could make a case for top 5.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-12-2012, 01:57 PM

MJ guarded the opposing team's best player during the 1st 3 peat, the second 3 peat pippen started taking over the duties..

check out the article written on chasing23.com.

Pippen was younger, more versatile, etc.

so naturally he would guard the opposing team's best player, especially during the second 3 peat.

Andrew32
10-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Lebron
Kd
Dwight
Cp3
Pippin-Kobe

Those would be my top 6 with either Kobe or Pippin in the 5 spot. He would be the 3rd best defender and the 3rd best playmaker. He would also be the least best scorer out of those 6. Rebounding he would also be 3rd.

Pippin is getting underrated by a lot of people and also overrated by a few. He's top ten for sure in today's game and could make a case for top 5.

Wade >>> Kobe since 09.

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 02:01 PM
as are everyone elses on here. whats your point? you a gm?

no im not, i just stated that a majority of gm's would take melo over pippen and you replied you would take pippen over melo and I said your opinion not a gm's

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-12-2012, 02:01 PM
lmao u are gonna teach me i been watching basketball since bulls vs lakers finals. Penny hardaway torched pippen and jordan his career number vs both them is 24.7 ppg on 48%. You just named byron russell as a tough guard smh,Juwan howard was decent played for avg team/Anthony mason is a avg player and iam a knick fan/ Mashburn was a good scorer on bad team/ Pippen actually guarded magic and worthy just to teach u. Larry nance was more of a pf. When did pippen play mullin on d in any important games glen rice was good not a special player. Wilkins was great so u really named 2 guys in the hwol league that where ellite. You are going to compare that to Lebron/Melo/Durant/primetmac/prime vince/wade/dirk/prime grant hill/ even iggy and granger are better then half the guys u named. Pierce can go on and on just stop befor ei own u even more

?
1. I named the players he guarded that the bulls faced off against during the playoffs.

2. chris mullin 1998 vs the pacers.
Jordan guarded reggie, pippen guarded mullin.

3. http://chasing23.com/did-scottie-pippen-always-guard-the-other-teams-best-player/

^ check that website out for list of players pippen guarded and shut down.

4. pippen guarded all positions from 1-4, so i dont see why you're bringing up what positions any of the players i listed were playing? I'm confused..

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 02:03 PM
so what your saying is all of pippin defense abilities, basketball IQ and intangibles makes up for his 7-8 ppg difference between him and melo but Rondo's defense abilities, basketball IQ and intangibles doesnt make up for his 7-8 ppg difference between him, cp3, d-will and westbrook? ok

No Pippen's PLAYMAKING makes up for the points difference. He will hurt you in many ways than just putting the ball in the hoop about the only thing he does well.

Why is CP3 better than DRose despite not being as good a volume scorer?

Combine Pippen's playmaking and scoring and he accounts for a greater deal of his teams offense than Melo does with his playmaking AND scoring. Anyone with a brain would realize how dangerous Scottie was on offense and would know that offense isn't just about scoring.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Pippen was one of the best defenders in NBA history.
lol rondo isnt.

and from what i read from articles by analysts, they all say rondo plays the passing lane too much, and is an average 1 on 1 defender.

CP3's defense, 1 on 1, team, is better than rondo's imo.

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 02:09 PM
keetyweedy said earlier that there were 32 teams in the league. Anyone with a brain knows that he has NO idea what an NBA GM would do. Doesn't even make sense taking him seriously.

made a simple mistake and mixed it up with nfl i meant 30, and Im goin based off a majority of the gm's draft decision but dont mind me im just speaking hypothetically

Eg714
10-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Wade >>> Kobe since 09.

It's subjective but I feel like Kobe is still an all around better player.

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 02:13 PM
MJ guarded the opposing team's best player during the 1st 3 peat, the second 3 peat pippen started taking over the duties..

check out the article written on chasing23.com.

Pippen was younger, more versatile, etc.

so naturally he would guard the opposing team's best player, especially during the second 3 peat.

You said he guarded the best player the majority of the time I said that was false and posted the article as reference. The article disagrees with both parts of your argument actually.

Andrew32
10-12-2012, 02:14 PM
It's subjective but I feel like Kobe is still an all around better player.
What makes you think that?
Clearly Wade is a better playmaker/creator and he is far better defensively at this point.

Offensively Kobe has volume (ppg) over Wade while Wade destroys him in terms of efficiency/consistency.

I really don't see it being very close at all anymore and with Wade possibly returning to form after his knee surgery and Kobe being a year older I doubt Kobe will be equal or better then D-Wade next year.

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 02:17 PM
made a simple mistake and mixed it up with nfl i meant 30, and Im goin based off a majority of the gm's draft decision but dont mind me im just speaking hypothetically

What does the draft have to do with anything? So because Ben Wallace went undrafted do you think 30 GMs would take Kwame Brown over him? That argument makes absolutely NO sense in an argument of who was better than whom in their prime.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
You said he guarded the best player the majority of the time I said that was false and posted the article as reference. The article disagrees with both parts of your argument actually.

yeah i read the article where Jordan guarded best player 8 times
pippen guarded 7.

Throughout their championship run, and especially during the Bulls’ 2nd three-peat when Jordan started slowing down defensively in 97 and 98, Scottie Pippen took on more overall defensive responsibilities. In addition to assuming on-ball responsibilities for his own man, Pippen served as a roamer, a one man wrecking crew, and one of the greatest help defenders we have ever seen, thereby allowing an older MJ to preserve his energy on defense and focus more on offense. Those last 2 years have likely enhanced the false perceptions that I am challenging in my article today.

Scottie’s defensive versatility was unmatched. In sum, at one time or another, Pippen guarded 5 different positions during crucial moments in the playoffs. In 1993, he effectively guarded PF Charles Barkley during the late stages of games. In 1998, he effectively guarded PG Mark Jackson in an effort to disrupt the Pacers offense. In 1991, he effectively guarded Center Vlade Divac in key fourth quarters. Lastly, in 1996, he guarded SG Nick Anderson during key spurts to provide relief to Jordan and Harper.

In closing, if one wants to argue that Scottie Pippen was a better overall defender, a more versatile defender than Michael Jordan, or even assumed more overall defensive responsibilities, it remains a fair argument. Pippen excelled on the defensive end much the way that Jordan excelled on the offensive end. However, the notion that Scottie Pippen always guarded the opponent’s best perimeter player during those Bulls’ champions runs remains one of the great myths in NBA history.

thats basically what I think in a nutshell.
pippen didnt always guard the best perimeter player, but pippen was the better defender, i thought he guarded the best player majority of the time, but i do see that out of the 24 playoff series, jordan guarded the best player 13 and pippen the rest.

keetyweedy
10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
No Pippen's PLAYMAKING makes up for the points difference. He will hurt you in many ways than just putting the ball in the hoop about the only thing he does well.

Why is CP3 better than DRose despite not being as good a volume scorer?

Combine Pippen's playmaking and scoring and he accounts for a greater deal of his teams offense than Melo does with his playmaking AND scoring. Anyone with a brain would realize how dangerous Scottie was on offense and would know that offense isn't just about scoring.

oh excuse me I forgot to put in playmaking lol, Raps08-09 Champ knows what I was referring to, rondo has the same qualities better than cp3, D-will, and westbrook but he is always ranked lower, you would be contradicting yourself if you say that his playmaking abilites and intangibles makes up for pippen 7-8 ppg difference between him and melo, but it doesnt for rondo...

and cp3 is not better than D.rose, well imo he's not

Eg714
10-12-2012, 02:45 PM
What makes you think that?
Clearly Wade is a better playmaker/creator and he is far better defensively at this point.

Offensively Kobe has volume (ppg) over Wade while Wade destroys him in terms of efficiency/consistency.

I really don't see it being very close at all anymore and with Wade possibly returning to form after his knee surgery and Kobe being a year older I doubt Kobe will be equal or better then D-Wade next year.

I don't wanna go off topic but I still think Kobe's better than wade. Wade is the better weak side defender and gets more blocks but even though Kobe isn't a elite defender anymore I think he's still better than wade man to man.

Wade gets to run the fast break with the best player in the league for most the game so of course his numbers are gonna be super efficient. Kobe for the last couple years has had to run mostly half court sets through not 1 but 2 7footers.

Kobe is definitely the better playmaker and has a higher basketball IQ. Wade might see some rapid decline this season and might not have the athleticism that he use to,which would severely limit his game.

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 02:48 PM
yeah i read the article where Jordan guarded best player 8 times
pippen guarded 7.

thats basically what I think in a nutshell.
pippen didnt always guard the best perimeter player, but pippen was the better defender, i thought he guarded the best player majority of the time, but i do see that out of the 24 playoff series, jordan guarded the best player 13 and pippen the rest.

So basically you're agreeing with me?

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 02:51 PM
oh excuse me I forgot to put in playmaking lol, Raps08-09 Champ knows what I was referring to, rondo has the same qualities better than cp3, D-will, and westbrook but he is always ranked lower, you would be contradicting yourself if you say that his playmaking abilites and intangibles makes up for pippen 7-8 ppg difference between him and melo, but it doesnt for rondo...

and cp3 is not better than D.rose, well imo he's not

What? Rondo has the same qualities as whom? Dude please don't try to make this a comparison between Rondo and CP3. Pippen did way more as a scorer than Rondo could ever dream of doing. 20-8-6 on solid efficiency and all world calibre defense is nothing to sleep on. I am not contradicting myself you are confused.

JordansBulls
10-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-12-2012, 02:54 PM
So basically you're agreeing with me?

yes lol thats exactly what i said.

Shlumpledink
10-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Best perimeter defense in the league, plus playing the point forward with skill and athleticism? top 5 easily.

Swashcuff
10-12-2012, 02:59 PM

And this man is renowned by PSD as being a Pippen hater.

Dade County
10-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Simple question.

ARe you talking about, comparing him to other Sf or the entire league?

DanG
10-12-2012, 03:04 PM
ARe you talking about, comparing him to other Sf or the entire league?

entire league.

xxplayerxx23
10-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Top10

Dade County
10-12-2012, 03:37 PM
If you are going to start a team, and you had to choose ( Top 10 ) Would Pippen be in the top 10, lets see

( This list isn't in any order )

Lbj
KD
D wade ( If Healthy )
Kobe of right now, yes Prime Pippen would be better
Howard
Cp3
Rose

then you have Wild Wild West, k love, D Will, Rondo

I don't even know if Cavs fans would take a prime Pippen over Kyrie

( Pippen would be better then Kobe right now, but if kobe was in his prime, then of course Kobe would be better .)

I think a prime Pippen would be a top 7-15 player in todays league, but it really depends on the team that he is on to me.

Sorry for my random thoughts above!

Dade County
10-12-2012, 03:42 PM
And for the people that voted him Top 5 ( I have no problem with that ), but can you just list your Top 5.... Thanks.

Because to me you would be saying that you would take him over ( insert names here )

Bruno
10-12-2012, 03:51 PM
top eight.

C_Mund
10-12-2012, 04:14 PM
And for the people that voted him Top 5 ( I have no problem with that ), but can you just list your Top 5.... Thanks.

Because to me you would be saying that you would take him over ( insert names here )

Mine would be (as of current skill set)....

LBJ
Pippen
KD
Dwight
CP3

Pip and KD could go either way because we haven't seen Durant in his prime. As it stands now, I'd go with Pippen second but it's tough to drop KD.
In all honesty I feel like Pippen would be super effective on the perimeter in today's game, a bangin' big man isn't as important. Plus his playmaking puts him up higher.
I have no problem with those that say Pip is only a top-15, but I happen to be a big fan and I don't mind people saying I overrate him.

b@llhog24
10-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Bron
Paul
KD
Dwight
Possibly Love, Westy, Rose, Dirk

So defiantly top 10

Dade County
10-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Mine would be (as of current skill set)....

LBJ
Pippen
KD
Dwight
CP3

Pip and KD could go either way because we haven't seen Durant in his prime. As it stands now, I'd go with Pippen second but it's tough to drop KD.
In all honesty I feel like Pippen would be super effective on the perimeter in today's game, a bangin' big man isn't as important. Plus his playmaking puts him up higher.
I have no problem with those that say Pip is only a top-15, but I happen to be a big fan and I don't mind people saying I overrate him.

So if you had to built a team, you would choose Pippen over...

A healthy Rose & D Wade? And would you pick Pippen over Wild Wild West, k love, D Will & Rondo?

And I know Pippen was an amazing player, but I couldn't pick him over KD.

And by the way, I voted for Pippen in the top 10 too.

koberulesall
10-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Pip in his prime would KILL lebron

nuff said

Kevj77
10-13-2012, 02:50 AM
If he was playing today he would be a top 10-15 player. He was one of the best players in the NBA when he was playing with Jordan, but he didn't get the credit he deserved playing with the best player of all time. No team wins 6 championships without great talent. Jordan never won a ring without help. Same goes for Magic, Bird, Russell, KAJ, Kobe, Shaq, Hakeem and yes even Jordan.

That happens when you are great, but play with the GOAT. He was Robin to Batman.

KingPosey
10-14-2012, 12:04 PM
you can disagree all you like thats your opinion, but when Iverson, vince carter, and kobe emerged in the league it was a new genre, nobody every seen quickness, crossovers and dunks like they did with them

ya but thats the exception, not the line of margin. If everyone was that athletic, then those guys wouldnt have been special.

Pippen had the wing span of a center and had a 40+, an easy 40+ vertical. He was their physical pier any way you want to slice it.

Chronz
10-14-2012, 12:10 PM

I would love to get a definitive answer on this question but what makes you think this? You know how Swash provided the link that examines the question, how come no such link or any kind of proof came with your opinion?

thrice4
10-14-2012, 12:26 PM
He'd kill LeBron? Ugh no. Athletes today are much better.

IKnowHoops
10-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Ain't pippen six seven?

Yeah, but whats worse is the 7'6" wingspan claim

Steelers23_06
10-15-2012, 02:55 AM

nuff said

lets be real. you cant say that. if so you dont know basketball. forst off it depends what scheme he was in. no one player can stop lebron it is virtually impossible at this time. you have to contain him as a team. and only a few teams have successfully done this. 2 that come to mind are the mavs and the spurs i dont think its was because he was "afraid of the big stage". cuban said it best when talking to skip they locked him down as a team getting him out of his comfort zones putting a quick player in barea on him at the top of the key and have big bruisers down low for if he blows by him and lebron couldnt use his size because jj was getting calls left and right on lebron. so to prove my point if you just throw him on the bobcats then he gets dogged like every other player in the league. but if you stick him on a good team under a coach that knows defense like doc, pop or mike brown he would definitely bey a key piece in containing him

rocketfuel
10-15-2012, 03:03 AM
1. What do you think of Pippen's 3 point shooting?
2. Who's a better defender Scottie or Jordan?

naps
10-15-2012, 03:34 AM

nuff said

:facepalm:

DanG
10-15-2012, 08:03 AM

nuff said

Seriously? You say that because you are a Kobe fan and you hate LeBron.

bucketss
10-15-2012, 08:49 AM
i think he literally meant kill

TheLegend
10-15-2012, 12:39 PM
A prime PiP? Handsdown a Definite top 5 player in today's NBA.

TheLegend
10-15-2012, 12:42 PM

You obviously don't have a clue:facepalm:

You can't even write a complete sentence bro, so how can you expect someone to take you serious.

TheLegend
10-15-2012, 12:45 PM
As a small forward I'd rank him 3rd... obviously Durant and LBJ are a head of him there. I'm not sure that he would crack my top five... I'd have to make room for CP3 in there, then there's Kobe... Dwight... Kevin Love... he'd be in my top ten for sure though.

Kevin Love, current Kobe, and CP3 is not better than a prime time Scottie Pippen dude. In today's game, Pip would also be a better offensive player.

TheLegend
10-15-2012, 12:46 PM

Clueless:facepalm:

TheLegend
10-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Pippen over Melo all day long dude. All you kids do is look at scoring. How about running an offense, playing unselfish and PLAYING defense. Melo is ineffective if he can't score. Pip can score 8 pts and still be MVP of that game. How old are u? 15?

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-15-2012, 01:05 PM

Not better then Kobe,Dwight,love,rose,cp3 and a couple others he would be top 10-12 though

Swashcuff
10-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Clueless:facepalm:

Well give us a clue why don't you?

Vee-Rex
10-15-2012, 01:08 PM
I'd take a prime Pippen over a prime Melo any day.

Melo may be able to average 7ppg more but Pippen would have a way better overall game.

Better passer, defender, rebounder, IQ, etc...

The only 2 small forwards in today's game I'd take over a prime Pippen is LBJ and KD.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-15-2012, 01:09 PM
1. Lebron
2. Pippen
3. Durant

There's my top 3 in the NBA if Pippen was playing now.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Wade >>> Kobe since 09.

Lol so many heat fans and Kobe haters says this lol I don't see it, wade has never had a jumpshot whatsoever not as good as clutch gen and he wasn't winning championships Kobe>Wade

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-15-2012, 01:14 PM
If you are going to start a team, and you had to choose ( Top 10 ) Would Pippen be in the top 10, lets see

( This list isn't in any order )

Lbj
KD
D wade ( If Healthy )
Kobe of right now, yes Prime Pippen would be better
Howard
Cp3
Rose

then you have Wild Wild West, k love, D Will, Rondo

I don't even know if Cavs fans would take a prime Pippen over Kyrie

( Pippen would be better then Kobe right now, but if kobe was in his prime, then of course Kobe would be better .)

I think a prime Pippen would be a top 7-15 player in todays league, but it really depends on the team that he is on to me.

Sorry for my random thoughts above!
If prime pippen would be better then the Kobe of now then he for sure would be better then your injury prone wade as well

ManningToTyree
10-15-2012, 01:15 PM
top 10 no doubt

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-15-2012, 01:17 PM
My oh my people definitely overrating Scottie a bit sure he would be a top 10-12 player but no way in hell top 5! His defense and playmaking were great but offensively he was alright I doubt he would be a top 5 player in today's NBA!

cuttydoesit6
10-15-2012, 01:24 PM
hes easily top 3 in the league, nobody but bron n possibly kd could even come close

Dankster
10-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Top 15. He was a very good all around player, but he had many flaws to his game.

FOBolous
10-15-2012, 01:50 PM
here are the stats for Pippen's best year:

22 pts on 49% shooting, 9 reb, 6 assists, and 3 steals....rounded to the nearest whole number of course

not to mention he would be an elite defender and a great ball distrubutor. he was a "point forward" before being a point-forward was cool. i say he would be pretty good. him, durant, and lebron would be the 3 best forwards in the league. period.

now look at the current list of top 10 players according to ESPN and the players' stats:

1. Lebron James - 27 pts on 53% shooting, 8 reb, 6 ast, 2 stls,
2. Kevin Durant - 28 pts on 50% shooting, 8 reb, 4 ast, 1 stl
3. Dwight Howard - 21 pts on 57% shooting, 15 reb, 2 ast, 2 stl, 2 blk
4. Chris Paul - 20 pts on 48% shooting, 4 reb, 9 asts, 3 stls
5. Derrick Rose - 22 pts on 44% shooting, 3 reb, 8 asts, 1 stl
6. Kobe Bryant - 28 pts on 43% shooting, 5 reb, 5 asts, 1 stl
7. Kevin Love - 26 pts on 45% shooting, 13 reb, 2 ast. 1 stl, 1 blk
8. Dwayne Wade - 22 pts on 50% shooting, 5 reb, 5 ast, 2 stl
9. Russel Westbrook - 24 pts on 46% shooting, 5 reb, 6 ast, 2 stl
10. Deron Williams - 21 pts on 40% shooting, 3 reb, 9 ast, 1 stl

I personally would prefer to have Pippen over Chris Paul and Derrick Rose soooo i would say Pippen would be in the top 5

Dankster
10-15-2012, 01:51 PM
hes easily top 3 in the league, nobody but bron n possibly kd could even come close

Reading something like this makes me wonder if you ever watched him play for the Bulls. He was a star in my eyes, heck a perennial All star, but not a veritable superstar.

FOBolous
10-15-2012, 01:51 PM
My oh my people definitely overrating Scottie a bit sure he would be a top 10-12 player but no way in hell top 5! His defense and playmaking were great but offensively he was alright I doubt he would be a top 5 player in today's NBA!

lol he is more than "ok" offensively. not the best but definitely above average

TheNumber37
10-15-2012, 02:28 PM
top 5. he'd be defensive player of the year and averaging 22, 6 and 8. upgraded igoudala. consider that he could actually guard Kd and LeBron.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-15-2012, 02:44 PM
top 5. he'd be defensive player of the year and averaging 22, 6 and 8. upgraded igoudala. consider that he could actually guard Kd and LeBron.

He wouldn't get it over Dwight or any stud D center

TheLegend
10-15-2012, 04:58 PM

A prime Pippen is easily a 22ppg score in today's game.

Not saying you in particular but The issue I have with the majority of people on the forum is that u weren't even old enough to watch Pippen's career so u really just don't know.

I would only take a LBJ over a prime Pippen. And KD over pip would be a hard call. I'll only take KD over pip if I don't have another star on the team as I feel pip is better suited for the side kick role due to his all-around game.