PDA

View Full Version : I was wrong about Buster Posey.

natsbats
10-11-2012, 06:07 PM
I had an argument on here awhile ago that included Buster Posey and him deserving the MVP award.

I said, ignorantly, that he was one of the worst defensive catchers in the league. I just looked at his passed balls and stolen bases against and came to that conclusion.

I was wrong. I admit it.

I made it a point to focus on him throughout the last three weeks and into the playoffs....and he's about all you can ask for from a catcher. He gets stolen bases against him because his pitchers leave him out to dry almost every time, not even prime Pudge could throw out those runners with the jumps that they get.

He calls a magnificent game. He's just a leader and a thoroughbred.

He's got elite catchers traits, the arm, the athletic ability.... and then include his bat which is the best in the league at his position and I can very easily understand why this guy is arguably brings the most value to a team in the entire MLB.

Lloyd Christmas
10-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Truth!

lol, please
10-11-2012, 06:16 PM
http://www.vikingsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/eating_crow.jpg

Greedy22
10-11-2012, 06:16 PM
:clap: can't just look at passed balls and stolen bases against a catcher without seeing it for yourself, but it takes an honorable person to admit it! :)

rcs15
10-11-2012, 06:45 PM
I had an argument on here awhile ago that included Buster Posey and him deserving the MVP award.

I said, ignorantly, that he was one of the worst defensive catchers in the league. I just looked at his passed balls and stolen bases against and came to that conclusion.

I was wrong. I admit it.

I made it a point to focus on him throughout the last three weeks and into the playoffs....and he's about all you can ask for from a catcher. He gets stolen bases against him because his pitchers leave him out to dry almost every time, not even prime Pudge could throw out those runners with the jumps that they get.

He's got elite catchers traits, the arm, the athletic ability.... and then include his bat which is the best in the league at his position and I can very easily understand why this guy is arguably brings the most value to a team in the entire MLB.

Good post. I put no stock in any catcher related defensive metrics. If you don't watch Posey and just look at defensive stats he doesn't grade out very high, but watching him it's easy to see he is the total package.

gilly
10-11-2012, 06:54 PM
As a Dodger fan I must say I'm incredibly jealous.

d79cheese
10-11-2012, 06:57 PM
As a Dodger fan I must say I'm incredibly jealous.

I don't think you lose too much sleep knowing you have Kershaw and Kemp

MetsFanatic19
10-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks for being a great PSD poster and admitting your mistake!

Posey for MVP.

Vixious
10-11-2012, 07:09 PM
If his knees keep up, I can see him in the Hall of Fame someday. Fairly easily actually. Maybe it's because I don't know better but it seems to me that the youth in this game today is as good or better than it ever has been. It's amazing.

Ty Fast
10-11-2012, 07:50 PM
the voters will give it to him cuz his team made the playoffs. braun got it over kemp last year because of that and thats why (i think) verlander got it as well

Buckwheat
10-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Duh.

Alleyeson49
10-11-2012, 07:54 PM

I was wrong. I admit it.

Apology accepted :hi5:. Isn't it amazing what he's done after that tremendous injury too? This was technically his first full season in the big leagues (during his rookie year he was called up halfway through, and last year, well, we all know what happened). As a Giants fan you appreciate every little nuance of his game (his game calling skills, the powerful and accurate arm on base stealing, and the respect he gets from the rotation even being a young player). His offensive prowess is becoming amazing too. Now, all YOU have to do OP is change your name to "giantsstix", and we'll let you hop on the train ;) :clap:

lincecum=future
10-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Well if he throws such a good game then why don't 2 of our 5 starters not like him catching them !? (Should come as no surprise that those were our worst 2 starters this year Lincecum and Cy Zito)

sacgiants1213
10-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Hopefully the National Media understands your point of view. The people that see Buster every day understand what he does for this team on a daily basis.

dodgersuck
10-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Buster Posey ain't havin' your apology

Leandres_sf
10-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Buster Posey has to win MVP.

sacgiants1213
10-12-2012, 01:43 AM
Buster Posey ain't havin' your apology

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjtOsFRlo9A

thrice4
10-12-2012, 01:54 AM
Still not better than Braun...

Leandres_sf
10-12-2012, 01:56 AM
By what standard?

thrice4
10-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Ok he's a better catcher...

Leandres_sf
10-12-2012, 01:59 AM
What is Braun better at? Hitting HR in a bandbox? Posey has hit 6 HR in 7 games in that playground.

thrice4
10-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Playground? Are you high?Wait why the hell are you psd's Brandon Belt? What does that even mean?

Leandres_sf
10-12-2012, 02:05 AM
A playground. Meaning a little park, where kids would play.

Leandres_sf
10-12-2012, 02:05 AM
And I'm still waiting to hear where Braun is superior.

thrice4
10-12-2012, 02:09 AM
How do you compare a baseball park to a playground?

Leandres_sf
10-12-2012, 02:15 AM

It's a figure of speech, have you any concept of this? I'm sorry, I'll can the sarcasm. Miller Park plays small, many more HR are hit there than in SF.

Lakers + Giants
10-12-2012, 02:21 AM
His lawyers are superior.

I wish melky had those lawyers :(

theproof
10-12-2012, 02:29 AM

Nice dodge of the question....

natepro
10-12-2012, 02:46 AM
What is Braun better at? Hitting HR in a bandbox? Posey has hit 6 HR in 7 games in that playground.

Seven whole games?! :speechless:

Leandres_sf
10-12-2012, 02:53 AM
Seven whole games?! :speechless:

Yes, it's a SSS, but the fact remains that Braun's HR totals are affected by that park.

giants73756
10-12-2012, 04:09 AM
Posey and Braun had the same number of road home runs this year. The only categories Braun beat Posey in during road games were RBI and SB. Posey could very well have had 40 homers if he played in Miller Park for his home games. And it's not like Posey was bad at home. His OBP and AVG were a fair amount better at home.

Just so you all know, Braun had 24 home runs at home and 17 on the road. For Posey it was 7 and 17.

thrice4
10-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Yes, it's a SSS, but the fact remains that Braun's HR totals are affected by that park.

ESPN hit tracker. One or two homers would have missed. Still would be better than Posey.

slugger82685
10-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I saw this guy play in college and he is just a beast of an athlete. He is the kind of guy that can lift the team up and carry them on his back....def think he has a solid shot at MVP this year.

rockbottom2010
10-12-2012, 12:35 PM
beast!...i knew this from the beginning....not only that...i called gio as the best LHP in the game...and Jay Bruce as the best RF in the game

10-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Braun for MVP!

sfattahian
10-12-2012, 12:50 PM

I was wrong. I admit it.

Takes a big man to admit when they are wrong, I give you props. Everything you say is spot on. You have to watch him every day to fully appreciate what he brings to the table. Glad you got to see that. He can add "clutch hitter" to the resume as well

ATL#22
10-12-2012, 01:01 PM
To the OP: There is actually a theory that good offensive catchers (Posey, McCann, Montero) are perceived as bad defensive catchers until they prove otherwise but for the life of me I can't remember who the theory was named after.

The_Franchise13
10-12-2012, 01:12 PM
To the OP: There is actually a theory that good offensive catchers (Posey, McCann, Montero) are perceived as bad defensive catchers until they prove otherwise but for the life of me I can't remember who the theory was named after.

It's the same the other way too I think, see: Molina.

ATL#22
10-12-2012, 01:16 PM
^Yeah it works both ways

lol, please
10-12-2012, 01:49 PM
And I'm still waiting to hear where Braun is superior.

:clap:

Leandres_sf
10-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Braun for MVP!

What's the argument? I'm still waiting to hear from thrice4. So far, all we have are HR, which is a joke.

d79cheese
10-12-2012, 04:02 PM
ESPN hit tracker. One or two homers would have missed. Still would be better than Posey.

You can't just look at the hit tracker. Miller Park plays games with a closed roof, and when it's open the atmosphere does very little to kill fly balls. The marine layer around AT&T KILLS fly balls. Hit tracker shows very little about the two parks

d79cheese
10-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Good point. There is more going on than just the raw dimensions of any given field.

Yeah.. Coors field has some of the biggest power alley's in all of baseball, but yet is always a leader in HR's.

I believe AT&T still has the smallest distance from homeplate to right field foul pole in all of baseball, but continues to have one the worst HR park factors for LHB

RTL
10-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Exactly why stats need to be put in context

Nomar
10-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Braun and Posey have the same wRC+ which is adjusted so theyre equal in offensive production. Buster Posey is playing better defense while managing a great pitching staff at the most physically challenging position in baseball. Posey is the MVP.

SenorGato
10-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I was wrong with that whole "Molina is the top C" thing. It's not as far apart as you might think especially given Molina's durability at the position.

Public Enemy #1
10-12-2012, 09:30 PM
The dude on Braun's nuts has no idea what he is talking about. All he says is that Braun hit more home runs in a smaller ball park. He has no other argument. :laugh:

Greedy22
10-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Still not better than Braun...

Ok he's a better catcher...

Playground? Are you high?Wait why the hell are you psd's Brandon Belt? What does that even mean?

That's cute, dodging questions like you're so witty and using ESPN hit tracker as a reference :laugh:

Fly
10-12-2012, 10:52 PM
I've actually got Posey's autograph on a hat from when he went to FSU! :D

long ball
10-14-2012, 10:13 PM
I think Posey will and probably should win MVP.

I'm not impressed at all with his ability to receive pitches though.

natsbats
10-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Why? You can't defend that.

Tonight was a perfect example of Buster getting screwed over by his pitchers when it comes to stolen bases. Bumgarner has such a long delivery with runners on base.

long ball
10-14-2012, 10:19 PM
I think you're misunderstanding me. When I mean receiving pitches I'm talking about how he actually catches it. He moves a lot back there. When you compare him to a guy like Molina who is really good at it he's dipping his head and moving his shoulders a lot.

long ball
10-14-2012, 10:21 PM
I mean he's not as bad as a guy like Ryan Doumit, but he's certainly got quite a bit of room to grow.

natsbats
10-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Different styles, whatever gets the job done.

He only has 6 passed balls in over 2000 innings playing behind the plate. He has a much better rate than Yadier.

long ball
10-14-2012, 10:37 PM
has nothing to do with past balls.

Think about it. Why would it be advantageous to have a catcher be still back there?

They get more calls.

Halladay
10-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Buster Trout for MVP

Greedy22
10-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Posey is still pretty young at the catcher position. He moves quite a bit back there and was even tipping pitches off as a rookie quite often. Definitely improving back there though, his natural ability has made it a pretty easy transition back there for him.

rockbottom2010
10-16-2012, 02:52 PM
check the 2010 post season...u never did ur homework....ur terrible (creator of this thread)