PDA

View Full Version : With Tmac and Yao now retired from the NBA ....

JordansBulls
10-10-2012, 11:49 PM
With Tmac and Yao now retired from the NBA why didn't that combo work out better? They were together for 4 years with each year both players being superstars but yet never got out of round 1. What was the primary reason?

Htownballa1622
10-11-2012, 12:29 AM
health/sorry role players. the end.

aman_13
10-11-2012, 12:29 AM

Yup.

rhino17
10-11-2012, 12:30 AM

bingo

DoMeFavors
10-11-2012, 12:35 AM
Tmac retired from NBA?

And because Tmac wasnt the Tmac from Orlando and Yao was never that good.

I think they could have had a chance in 09 if Yao and Tmac were fully healthy with Shane and Artest there.

Corey
10-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Tmac retired from NBA?

I think they could have had a chance in 09 if Yao and Tmac were fully healthy with Shane and Artest there.

Yao was never good?

Please explain.

ClearSoulForce
10-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Tmac retired from NBA?

Yao isn't half the player Lopez is though. And prime T-Mac has nothing on Joe Johnson!

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Lopez > Yao

PleaseBeNice
10-11-2012, 12:46 AM
HOW ABOUT THIS.

Now that T Mac isn't in the NBA anymore, no more threads about him

heyman321
10-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Tmac retired from NBA?

Agreed Brook Lopez is way better than Yao. He has him over in post moves, rebounding, shooting, blocks, marketability -- think of all the latinos the NBA could sell jerseys to.

JasonJohnHorn
10-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Yao was a gret ambassador for the game. He was a genuinely good person who cared about the betterment of all the people in the world. That said, he just wasn't that good. He was an all-star player, but let's face it, the dude should have been pulling down 14 boards a game and blocking 5 shots per game.. Good offensive game, great even, but just not as much of a presence inside.

That, coupled with the fact that he and McGrady had so many injuries.... part of me thingks that Houston would have actually been better off hanging onto Steve Francais. He ran the pick and roll so well with Yao...

I think Francis could have gotten more out of Yao than Mcgrady did.

aman_13
10-11-2012, 12:54 AM
[QUOTE=PleaseBeNice;23905189]HOW ABOUT THIS.

Now that T Mac isn't in the NBA anymore, no more threads about him[/QUOTE

Don't like the thread, ignore it. It's that simple.

Chronz
10-11-2012, 01:22 AM
I think Francis could have gotten more out of Yao than Mcgrady did.

LMFAO Dude wouldnt even last longer than Tmac, and he had 2 shots at trying to involve his bigman with both Dwight and Yao, both teams ditched him to make the bigmen a bigger priority.

And no, he didn't run the PnR better than Tmac and in no way would the Rox have been better off. Tmac was actually a better PG than Francis ever was.

Ebbs
10-11-2012, 01:29 AM
It was obvious that the main factor was keeping them both on the floor.

People forget how good the West was as well. Kings, Mavericks, Suns, Lakers, Spurs, we're all battling back then.

John Walls Era
10-11-2012, 01:45 AM
They made it past the first without Tmac.

Odominator
10-11-2012, 01:48 AM
It was obvious that the main factor was keeping them both on the floor.

People forget how good the West was as well. Kings, Mavericks, Suns, Lakers, Spurs, we're all battling back then.

Bingo!

Deep conference kept the often injured Rockets down.

And whoever said Yao wasn't that good? Yao was only second to Shaq in an era where dominated teh Western Conference. Duncan, KG, CWebb, Divacs, Nowitzki, Shaq, Sheed...

tht_one_guy
10-11-2012, 02:27 AM
health problems kept tht team from reaching their potential the rockets were injured before the blazers made it popular

tapajafri
10-11-2012, 02:34 AM

I loved Yao and Tmac. I always rooted for the Rockets. But I wouldnt say the role players were so sorry to where they couldn't get out of the 1st round. They had some decent role players some years. Jim Jackson, Bonzi, Sura, Battier, Juwaun Howard, etc.

RC3
10-11-2012, 03:20 AM
They blew it in 2007 when they had a 2-0 lead against the jazz. I think both of them were healthy.

looka09
10-11-2012, 04:47 AM
When was that season when they had 22 consecutive wins? 08/09?

xcrisisx
10-11-2012, 08:59 AM
the combo looked nice on 2K, but it's just didn't work on the court, not even when they were both healthy. the rockets weren't a team, more like the sum of some parts.
It wasn't even close, they once lost a game 7 by like 40 points, and the only time they advanced was without t-mac :facepalm: and in the second round they went to game 7 without yao... biased team I'm very disapointed

BK-TY
10-11-2012, 09:44 AM
...prime T-Mac has nothing on Joe Johnson!

A mind is a terrible thing to waste! Leave them drugs alone son.

JordansBulls
10-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Lopez > Yao

No need for this my friend.

tnewkirk
10-11-2012, 10:11 AM

this plus great competition.

tnewkirk
10-11-2012, 10:12 AM
tmac had so much potential but injuries and never fully maturing imo held him back. had he gone to college for a couple years i think his attitude could have been different.

TaylorMays
10-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Because someone on the Jazz pulled out one of the most embarrassing flops in league history that negated a game winning 3 from Bobby Jackson

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-11-2012, 10:47 AM
just when they were gettin good, tmac or yao were never healthy. they never experienced a healthy squad, last time they were ok, was with aaron brooks, yao, and co and they took the lakers to 6 or 7 games, i forgot.. (yao was injured for the playoffs)

but that was yao's final season, well he played a couple of games in the next 2 years, but his injury started than.

lvlheaded
10-11-2012, 11:02 AM
If they could have stayed healthy the year they had Artest and Battier, they could have done damage.

Like every one already said, Health and Lack of role players killed them

Chronz
10-11-2012, 11:07 AM
I loved Yao and Tmac. I always rooted for the Rockets. But I wouldnt say the role players were so sorry to where they couldn't get out of the 1st round. They had some decent role players some years. Jim Jackson, Bonzi, Sura, Battier, Juwaun Howard, etc.

Jim Jackson was traded mid-season, Sura lasted 1 season, Bonzi showed up to camp fat and angry about losing all that money, Juwan Howard sucked or was injured for the playoffs. The only guy you mentioned that was worth a damn was Battier, sadly his primary function was as a defensive stopper, with no Iso-wing to check in the Utah series, he was basically outplayed by Utahs 7-8thman (Matt Harpring).

That team sucked without Tmac for the lonest time, by the time they finally had a championship caliber support, Tmac ceased being a championship caliber superstar

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-11-2012, 11:12 AM
yup, and don't forget Yao was skinny as hell, until he packed a few pounds, to help him pounding down low.

but by his second last fully healthy season, tmac started to decline, otherwise this rockets team would have easily been a top 3 team in the west.

its a shame really.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-11-2012, 11:14 AM
well sorry, he didnt start to decline, he just got injured, played like maybe 30 games, and than just missed the next season..

than yao got injured, and thats the downfall of the Ming Dynasty with the rockets.

RaiderLakersA's
10-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Ahhhh, I remember it well, all of the hype and speculation around those two players.

Yao was supposed to supplant Shaq as the best center in the game.

T-Mac (according to many here at PSD still) was (is) better than Kobe.

Rubbish!!!

This is why you play the game. Adversity matters. The champions outlast the adversity. But the rest of the players are caught in a downward spiraling whirlpool of "what ifs" and "if onlys." Sure, you can speculate on the whys and wherefores, but please flush and close the lid when you're done.

(And yes, I'm extremely disappointed that T-Mac left to play ball in China.)

theheatles
10-11-2012, 12:11 PM
too fragile

AWC713
10-11-2012, 12:21 PM
agreed brook lopez is way better than yao. He has him over in post moves, rebounding, shooting, blocks, marketability -- think of all the latinos the nba could sell jerseys to.

lopez averaged 4 rebounds a game

Stunner
10-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Yao > Lopez T-Mac Houston / Magic > Joe Johnson

KnicksR4Real
10-11-2012, 01:23 PM
lmfao at the lopez is better than yao statement

Kashmir13579
10-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Health and bad luck imo

Kashmir13579
10-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Yao > Lopez T-Mac Houston / Magic > Joe Johnson

My head almost exploded when i saw this. No BS.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-11-2012, 02:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-8FksMVAdU

Hawkeye15
10-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Well, health had a lot to do with it. But in reality, Houston's role players were just terrible when McGrady was still at an all-NBA level. When the roster was finally stable and stronger, McGrady wasn't that caliber of player anymore. The one series they should have won, against Utah, Yao also decided to let Boozer look like Reggie Evans on the boards, which was odd.

JordansBulls
10-21-2012, 06:47 PM
lmfao at the lopez is better than yao statement

Yeah that is insane.

LAKobeBryant
10-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Agreed Brook Lopez is way better than Yao. He has him over in post moves, rebounding, shooting, blocks, marketability -- think of all the latinos the NBA could sell jerseys to.

Chinese popular makes up half the worlds population

NoahH
10-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Yao isn't half the player Lopez is though. And prime T-Mac has nothing on Joe Johnson!

Excuse me???

DreamShaker
10-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Well, many reasons:

1. Injuries.
2. Lack of depth. Rafer Alston, Bobby Sura, old Mark Jackson, and Mike James were the PG's. Ryan Bowen and Clarence Wheatherspoon both started playoff games for them. 40 year old Mutombo was hands down the best reserve they had. The year they had Artest, Mac and Yao had season ending injuries.
3. Lack of leadership. I don't think either star really had the leadership needed to be "The Guy" on a team. They were never mentally strong in pressure situations when it mattered the most. They collapsed up 2-0 twice.

DreamShaker
10-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Well, health had a lot to do with it. But in reality, Houston's role players were just terrible when McGrady was still at an all-NBA level. When the roster was finally stable and stronger, McGrady wasn't that caliber of player anymore. The one series they should have won, against Utah, Yao also decided to let Boozer look like Reggie Evans on the boards, which was odd.

I think Yao just wore down. His duties to the Chinese team and his huge body just sucked the life out of him. He had very little energy left come playoff time.

Losoway
10-22-2012, 09:23 PM
tmac and yao ming was incredible

but they had a terrrrrible bench

JordansBulls
10-26-2012, 12:48 AM
tmac and yao ming was incredible

but they had a terrrrrible bench

Bench was terrible in that one year the coach didn't let Wells play and the next they didn't allow Francis to play.

JayW_1023
10-27-2012, 05:47 AM
People rating Lopez over Yao obviously haven't seen Yao play.

YoungOne
10-27-2012, 06:44 AM
is that a rhetorical question??

YoungOne
10-27-2012, 06:45 AM

its just trolling ;)

dodie53
10-27-2012, 07:26 AM
injuries.

mightybosstone
10-27-2012, 12:05 PM
It's obviously a combination of health an poor front office decisions which led to poor role players and no legit third scorer. I love Shane Battier, but when you consider he was the best No. 3 they could provide for the duo for most of their prime together, that's pathetic. And by the time Morey came along and gave them an excellent core group of players (Artest, Brooks, Scola, Landry), McGrady was already in rapid decline and Yao was never the same after the injury in the Lakers series.

I honestly believe that if the Rockets had had that core group of players together and healthy for two or three seasons, that they would have won at least one ring together. As a Rockets fan, it was really tough to watch Yao and T-Mac struggle and it will go down as one of the greatest "what ifs" in franchise history, right up there with "What if Ralph Sampson had been healthy and cocaine hadn't destroyed the 86 team?" and "What if they had drafted Drexler and Hakeem instead of Sampson and Hakeem?"

JordansBulls
10-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Bad example. You can easily figure out who the better player is if you want. Just like I don't need to have seen Babe Ruth play to know he was better than Frank Thomas.