PDA

View Full Version : What Put Teams Off on McGrady?

JasonJohnHorn
10-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Ok... I have always respected McGrady's game, but I will admit that I've seen him as a bit of a ball-hog and don't really like him, partly for leaving Toronto when he did because we would have had something really special had he stayed, but that said, I think this guy still has game. He provided a strong veteran presence with the Pistons and contributed quality minutes to a playoff team in Atlanta last year, and I really don't see why he had such a hard time finding a job in the NBA this season.

I do not expect him to return to his glory days. But that said, I think it's fair to expect much of what he brought to Detroit and Atlanta, and I think that is something. He seems to be more humble now, and more of a team player, and I think he could have added a lot of value to a number of teams.

McGrady can play any position from PG to SF, so he is a great guy to have as your 12th man, because he can fill in for so many positions. NY could have used him BK, LAL, LAC, Dallas, OKC, SA. I wouldn't expect that he'd get a ton of minutes on these teams, or even break the rotation, but having a guy with his experience on the bench is better than having some rookie or sophpomore who has no experience and is liable to fawked things up. When you get a guy in foul trouble and you have to dig deep into your bench, being able to pull up a guy like McGrady is a good thing.

And there are a lot of lottery teams that could have used him, if for nothing else at least a veteran presence in the locker room. Charlotte, Washington. GS, the Bucks... I mean, Altanta could have re-signed him even. He wasn't bad for them.

Even Jerry Stackhouse (who was also on ATL and got less minutes and worse %s than McGrady... and he's even OLDER than McGrady) managed to secure a roster spot this season?!?!?!?

I just don't get it?

What put teams off to picking up McGrady for the vet min? Was it the first-round curse? Or was it his level of play? Or is there something else I'm totally missing?

Il Mago50
10-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Logically think about it...

Most of those young teams have a veteran or two already in their locker room, many of whom don't even need minutes off of the bench or very few.

Mcgrady, however great of an influence he could be, would demand 10-15 MPG at the minimum which could be going to your young players who are not only the future of your team but also what's putting money in the pockets of the owners long term.

As for the contenders, I think it just came down to all the slots being filled and no one really needing what Mcgrady would bring them. It's sad but it's true, unless T-mac goes and gets the Kobe treatment and gets his back healthy (which is impossible as any person with back issues can tell you), I doubt he's gonna be a rotation player ever again in the NBA.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Money.

Majority of times it's a contract issue.
Length of time + incentives + guaranteed money.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Job security is probably the reason. Doubt it's a talent issue.

TheNumber37
10-10-2012, 07:43 PM
he worked out for teams and no one offered a contract. maybe they saw that he.didn't have much left.

Cal827
10-10-2012, 07:45 PM
First Round Virgin.

JordansBulls
10-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Honestly think the Bulls didnt go for him because he burned us in 2000