PDA

View Full Version : Which is the worst draft-day team in the NBA?

mrblisterdundee
10-09-2012, 10:43 PM
There are some teams that get it right, like the Spurs, and some teams that have a penchant for messing it all up.
Who are the biggest draft-day screw-ups?
My vote goes to my favorite team, Portland. Drafting Sam Bowie first in 1984 is as bad as it gets, considering that year was the most talented NBA class ever.
And many people overlook 2005. Portland traded down from the third to the sixth pick, taking Martell Webster instead of Chris Paul, Deron Williams and a host of other much better players.
I don't think drafting Brandon Roy was a mistake, although giving him that contract was.

JNoel
10-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Heat have never been good drafters except for D Wade. Beasley never fit into the culture and failed to play any defense whatsoever. Just look at the past 10 years or so and you'll see that apart from Chalmers, Caron Butler, Marcus Thornton, Wade, and even out on a limb Cole, they're just horrible drafters.

On a side note Heat did draft a guy with the first name Stanko which pretty much sums up how they draft.

NYKalltheway
10-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Portland by far

DR_1
10-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Toronto. Been a terribly run organization as long as I can remember.

NoahH
10-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Oden

Matrix3132
10-09-2012, 11:27 PM
There are some teams that get it right, like the Spurs, and some teams that have a penchant for messing it all up.
My vote goes to my favorite team, Portland. Drafting Sam Bowie first in 1984 is as bad as it gets, considering that year was the most talented NBA class ever.
And many people overlook 2005. Portland traded down from the third to the sixth pick, taking Martell Webster instead of Chris Paul, Deron Williams and a host of other much better players.
I don't think drafting Brandon Roy was a mistake, although giving him that contract was.

Bowie averaged 11 pts 8 boards or something over his career, a bit better than kwame's 7 and 5 imo...

AntiG
10-09-2012, 11:29 PM
^ imagine though, Jordan at SG and Drexler at SF; Porter, Cliff Robinson and Sabonis. What a team that would have been!

TheSource
10-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Raptors!

j-bay
10-09-2012, 11:40 PM
^ imagine though, Jordan at SG and Drexler at SF; Porter, Cliff Robinson and Sabonis. What a team that would have been!

don't forget Kersey

spreadeagle
10-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Raptors!

Toronto is not great but at least they have drafted Stoudamire, Camby, McGrady,Carter, Bosh, Valanciunas "who looks pretty good" so while they screw up a lot I wouldnt say worst

Cal827
10-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Finally! A contest that my Raptors will win! :D... Oh wait...

But easily Toronto

Bosh over Wade (although this one isn't exactly bad, since Bosh can be a perennial all-star if he isn't a third option)
Araujo over Igoudala
Joey Graham over Granger
Charlie V over Bynum and I think Jefferson
Bargnani over Roy (again, not so terrible since Roy has had the knee injuries), Rondo (a reach)

We could have had a line-up (before Bargs) of:

Calderon
Igoudala
Granger
Bosh
Bynum

Calderon would have a field day setting up that team, and also, our pick in 2006 would probably be in the mid-20 range, which would mean we might have had a shot to grab Rondo as well:

Rondo/Calderon
Igoudala
Granger
Bosh
Bynum

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

**** YOU ROB BABCOCK AND BRYAN COLANGELO :mad:

j-bay
10-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Toronto is not great but at least they have drafted Stoudamire, Camby, McGrady,Carter, Bosh, Valanciunas "who looks pretty good" so while they screw up a lot I wouldnt say worst

He was drafted by the Warriors then traded to the Raptors

Cal827
10-09-2012, 11:46 PM

Pre Rob Babcock lol.

Also, not a shot on Camby who was a very good defensive center for years, but with some of the guys who went behind him (Kobe, Abdurahim, Walker, Allen, Peja) in that loaded draft... Kinda sucked that we actually won that draft lottery, but with Stern making that rule that expansion teams couldn't pick first for a few years, it kind screwed us.

Actually maybe not, with Mighty Mouse and AI, I think we would have the smallest back-court...ever :laugh2:

Twinsfan24
10-10-2012, 12:00 AM

Just wanted to point out that Minnesota actually drafted Roy and traded him for Randy Foye. (which in it's own right was a bad trade.)

Also just throwing it out there but Portland also drafted Oden over Durant... May have not been bad if he would have stayed healthy. But it has turned out to be a terrible decision.

PacersForLife
10-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Portland by far

I think Portland actually drafts pretty well. The players they pick just end up getting injured.

KnickaBocka.44
10-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Just wanted to point out that Minnesota actually drafted Roy and traded him for Randy Foye. (which in it's own right was a bad trade.)

Also just throwing it out there but Portland also drafted Oden over Durant... May have not been bad if he would have stayed healthy. But it has turned out to be a terrible decision.

Can't really fault them for this one though. Durant has turned out to be amazing but Oden would have been great also and great big men are rare and more valuable.

thechom80
10-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Drafting Jesus Shuttlesworth and trading him for Marbury. Drafting BRoy and trading him for Foye. Drafting Ndudi Ebi and then watching Kendrick Perkins, Barbosa and Josh Howard go the next three picks.

The worst one was drafting Mayo and then trading him for Love. WHYYYY WOULD YOU DO THAT!!!?!?!? ;)

Cromedome
10-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Wow.

Vampirate
10-10-2012, 01:18 AM

But easily Toronto

Bosh over Wade (although this one isn't exactly bad, since Bosh can be a perennial all-star if he isn't a third option)
Araujo over Igoudala
Joey Graham over Granger
Bargnani over Roy (again, not so terrible since Roy has had the knee injuries), Rondo (a reach)

Calderon
Igoudala
Granger
Bosh
Bynum

Calderon would have a field day setting up that team, and also, our pick in 2006 would probably be in the mid-20 range, which would mean we might have had a shot to grab Rondo as well:

Rondo/Calderon
Igoudala
Granger
Bosh
Bynum

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Umm yeah, who was that guy that Detroid drafed?

Or how bout that guy the Wizards took at no 1 overall?

Raptors fans are blowing things out of poportion here.

marvILLous
10-10-2012, 01:30 AM

Raps were gonna take him anyway.. The warriors were the ones who wanted to do the deal to make sure they got Jamison. Just so u know ur facts ;)

Raps haven't been that bad. Had some moments but don't think they are the worst lol...

Manimal
10-10-2012, 04:28 AM
Atlanta Hawks, drafted a grand total of one all star in the last 20 years.

xcrisisx
10-10-2012, 05:34 AM

they drafted pau gasol so make that 2:clap:
traded pau for shareef adur-rahim on draft day
but either way, they both made the all-star team at some point, so 2 it is
but I agree that's still pretty bad
especially the marvin williams, shelden williams and josh childress drafts:facepalm:

Oefarmy2005
10-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Probably the LA Clippers...

Sly Guy
10-10-2012, 03:57 PM

Agreed. The raps have done reasonably well come draft day. Portland gets my vote.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Portland taking Bowie over Jordan, and Oden over Durant are really bad. That being said, they couldn't have forseen the injuries to those guys. It makes it extra bad that the 2 players they passed up on were the GOAT, and one of the best natural scorers I have ever seen just entering his prime now.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Probably the LA Clippers...

Griffin may save them, like KG did us, but they have been given more than ample opportunities at the first pick in the draft, and messed them up all but once.

topdog
10-10-2012, 04:27 PM

especially the marvin williams, shelden williams and josh childress drafts:facepalm:

Throw in Acie Law as well...

They may be the worst simply because they've reached so much with their picks and in the process missed out on some combination of Paul/Williams, Roy/Gay, and Deng/Iggy to pair with Smith and Horford. Imagine a sensible drafting of:

Paul
Roy
Iggy
Smith
Horford

mrblisterdundee
10-20-2012, 03:49 PM

I put it in there as it was a draft-day trade, pick for pick.

Ebbs
10-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Charlotte isn't very good.

2004 Emeka Okafor missed Dwight by 1, passed on Devin Harris, Iggy, Deng, Al Jeff, Kevin Martin

2005 Felton, Sean Mayne Bynum, Granger, David Lee and numerous other role players who would have been better than Mayne.

2006 Morrison Anyone would have been better lol. But Roy, Gay, Rondo all were passed on.

2007 Brandan Wright, and Dudley. Wright one pick before Noah, Dudley before Aflalo ad Marc Gasol.

It goes on and on. Gerald Henderson, D.J. Augustin, Kemba Walker.

MKG is a good prospect but super young hard to say where he will be.

Bravo95
10-20-2012, 05:35 PM
:sigh:

Greedy22
10-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Surprised I haven't seen the warriors on here yet, but they will definitely be in the running for most dysfunctional organization easily.

topdog
10-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Charlotte isn't very good.

2004 Emeka Okafor missed Dwight by 1, passed on Devin Harris, Iggy, Deng, Al Jeff, Kevin Martin

2005 Felton, Sean Mayne Bynum, Granger, David Lee and numerous other role players who would have been better than Mayne.

2006 Morrison Anyone would have been better lol. But Roy, Gay, Rondo all were passed on.

2007 Brandan Wright, and Dudley. Wright one pick before Noah, Dudley before Aflalo ad Marc Gasol.

It goes on and on. Gerald Henderson, D.J. Augustin, Kemba Walker.

MKG is a good prospect but super young hard to say where he will be.

I don't think you can fault them for taking the concensus #2 pick in '04. That's more of a matter of the contract extension they gave him afterwards.

The '05 draft was pretty weak, but who looks at Sean May and says "that's my franchise center"?

In '06, I was praying that McHale pick anyone but Morrison and luckily the silly Bobcats took him. What a relief that was :)

Again, '07 was pretty weak and Wright was one of those "high potential" picks. Trading his rights for Jason Richardson was the issue imo. As a UCLA fan during those days, shame on everyone who passed on Aflalo!

The most recent ones are the most disturbing though because there were much better drafts '08-'12.

2008: joined the Bucks in passing on Brook Lopez and Roy Hibbert (as well as Ryan Anderson, Serge Ibaka, Nic Batum, ect.) to take Augustin :confused:

2009: perhaps because they had just drafted Augustin, they passed on Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson and Darren Collison among others for Henderson.

2010: No pick. Perhaps their best draft :p but oh wait! They traded away their pick in '08 to pass on Serge Ibaka, Ryan Anderson and Nic Batum a 2nd time as they grabbed Alexis Ajinca.

2011: after more-or-less admitting defeat on their pick of Augustin, the Bobcats select backup PG Kemba Walker over highly rated (top 5 in some mocks) Kawhi Leonard as well as Klay Thompson, MarShon Brooks and Kenneth Faried after choosing an interesting project in Biyombo over Brandon Knight.

2012: trying to build a defensive culture, the Bobcats select MKG. Maybe it will all work out and he'll be great, but I'd wager future re-drafts will place him out of the top 5.

mike_noodles
10-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Okay, so replace him with Twan Jamison then. I don't think they're the worst either. If we're going through the history of the draft, then you gotta look at teams like Atlanta (Marvin Williams and Shelden Williams specifically), Portland, Charlotte and Golden State (they've been better recently and were good in the late 80's and early 90's but there was a 15-20 year stretch of ugly drafting).

spreadeagle
10-20-2012, 06:57 PM

wow...thats rough lol

Bravo95
10-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Our tragic history of GMs aside, the difference between the Thunder and Hawks has been that one lottery spot. I've got love for Horford, but if Atlanta gets #2 instead of #3 back in '07 and takes Durant.... man.

M.Bibby - T.Lue
Prime J.Johnson - S.Stoudemire
K.Durant - J.Childress
J.Smith - M.Williams
Pachulia - '07 #11 pick (maybe Marc Gasol if they had better scouting)

Ugh nevermind, Billy Knight probably would have screwed up that draft too.

TomahawkChop 10
10-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Portland by far. Drafted a no-name ahead of the greatest of all time, traded away the pick that would have netted them CP3 or DWill, and taking Greg Oden over KD. My Hawks aren't the best (also passing up CP3 & DWill to draft Marvin Williams) either, but the Trailblazers are certainly the worst.

JasonJohnHorn
10-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Toronto, at least since Coangelo took over... that guys needs to get fired.

LanceUpperCut
10-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Toronto, at least since Coangelo took over... that guys needs to get fired.

Your suck a BC hater it's ********. Who are these horrible picks BC made.

He drafted Bargnani at #1, Hibbert #17, Derozan #9, Davis #13, JV #5 and Ross at #8. Where's the bad pick? Some could say Bargs which might not be the best but it's by no means a bust.

Manimal
10-21-2012, 09:21 AM
He didn't draft Hibbert, the pick was traded to Indiana. Larry Bird drafted Hibbert. But I agree Colangelo hasn't done too bad a job. He got the number 1 pick in arguably the weakest draft in the last decade.

gwrighter
10-21-2012, 09:33 AM

Agreed, they're trying to get cheap laughs.

Raps definitely aren't the worst, take hindsight out of the argument.

Damon Stoudamire
T-Mac
Marcus Camby
Antawn Jamison
Chris Bosh
Bargnani (hindsight out of the equation)
Hibbert
Valanciunas(early but optimistic)

That's only in 18 seasons.

I'd go with Portland.

LanceUpperCut
10-21-2012, 09:44 AM
He didn't draft Hibbert, the pick was traded to Indiana. Larry Bird drafted Hibbert. But I agree Colangelo hasn't done too bad a job. He got the number 1 pick in arguably the weakest draft in the last decade.

Are you sure about that. I'm pretty sure the Raps drafted Hibbert and traded the rights to Indy. I just looked at the board from 08 and it show it as the Raptors pick. But the answer is Atl hands to down to me.

waveycrockett
10-21-2012, 09:45 AM
The Bobacts haven't drafted 1 starting caliber player in their existence and they've had a lottery pick every year but 1. Think about that. Thats hard to to.

Portland has had some great drafts.

Sabonis
Jermaine O'Neal
Drexler
Terry Porter
Brandon Roy
Nic Batum
Aldridge
Lillard will be a stud

Stress
10-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Agreed, they're trying to get cheap laughs.

Raps definitely aren't the worst, take hindsight out of the argument.

Damon Stoudamire
T-Mac
Marcus Camby
Antawn Jamison
Chris Bosh
Bargnani (hindsight out of the equation)
Hibbert
Valanciunas(early but optimistic)

That's only in 18 seasons.

I'd go with Portland.

Recently, the Raptors have had very little success in the draft.

1st Round picks since 2003:
Bosh - could've drafted wade.
Araujo
Charlie Villanueva
Joey Graham
Andrea Bargnani - not going to argue this much because of the weak draft pool. but he isn't #1 pick material for sure.
Roy Hibbert - Indiana essentially drafted him. he's even said the Raptors had no interest in him.
DeMar DeRozan
Ed Davis
Jonas Valanciunas - he has the potential to be good. definitely far from being NBA ready.
Terrence Ross - not projected to be drafted as high as he was. there was better talent available. maybe they didn't want to play in Toronto.

netsgiantsyanks
10-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Portland by far. Drafted a no-name ahead of the greatest of all time, traded away the pick that would have netted them CP3 or DWill, and taking Greg Oden over KD. My Hawks aren't the best (also passing up CP3 & DWill to draft Marvin Williams) either, but the Trailblazers are certainly the worst.

hindsight is 20/20 my good friend.

Manimal
10-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Are you sure about that. I'm pretty sure the Raps drafted Hibbert and traded the rights to Indy. I just looked at the board from 08 and it show it as the Raptors pick. But the answer is Atl hands to down to me.

It's because of the leagues stupid rule that trades can't be finalized until a week after the draft. If you look at the board from this year it shows Cleveland selected Cunningham, Crowder and James. But they were selected by Dallas.

Same for 2011 where it shows that the Bucks selected Jimmer, but the pick was already traded and the Kings selected Jimmer.

KnicksorBust
10-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Bobcats and Hawks.

Should have been a poll.

bringinwood
10-21-2012, 11:51 AM
I think Portland actually drafts pretty well. The players they pick just end up getting injured.

Thank you for pointing that out for our less educated posters...

Oden was considered more talented than D12 coming out of Ohio state...

He was considered more dominate than Durant...

Roy a mistake ??? You guys are halarious....

They are are the most unlucky, but they are a very well run organization...

goose14741
10-21-2012, 11:59 AM

But easily Toronto

Araujo over Igoudala
Joey Graham over Granger

Calderon
Igoudala
Granger
Bosh
Bynum

Rondo/Calderon
Igoudala
Granger
Bosh
Bynum

90 mil just to the starters lol

todu82
10-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Portland. Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan and Greg Oden over Kevin Durant are notable blunders.