a year before he becomes a free agent

Jeffy25
10-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Gotta assume Dickey is going to be extended as well if this happens

Jeffy25
10-09-2012, 06:37 PM
NM

It's Jon Heyman :p

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/20525462/mets-expected-to-offer-about-100m-to-start-as-they-try-to-make-david-wright-a-met-for-life

Not that it doesn't mean it's true. Just Heyman is completely unreliable.

sexicano31
10-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Heyman typically has good sources. Hes just a ****** when it comes to analysis

MetsFanatic19
10-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Gotta assume Dickey is going to be extended as well if this happens

Dickey's expected to get an Oliver Perez like deal. 36MM, 3 years.

LakersA's49ers
10-09-2012, 07:00 PM
i think the mets would be better off flipping him for a nice crop of prospects

Yankees90.
10-09-2012, 07:00 PM
About damn time....lock him up already!

pacofunk64
10-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Sorry but some wonder why the Mets are the Mets and this is the reason why.

Vinny642
10-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Spend all that $$$ on him, I don't mind, IDK if he is really worth it though/

sexicano31
10-09-2012, 07:05 PM

And that reason is locking up a star player??

metswon69
10-09-2012, 07:08 PM
I don't know if that's gonna get it done but it's a good starting off point.

It's market value for a guy of his caliber, age, and production related to his position.

Either way, they have to get this deal done otherwise they need to trade him before he hits FA and not let this situation end up like the Reye's one.

Jeffy25
10-09-2012, 07:12 PM
You gotta think Zim's extension is the base point here

metswon69
10-09-2012, 07:16 PM
http://metsblog.com/metsblog/mets-expected-to-offer-about-100m-to-start-for-david-wright/

Yeah it looks like you said to be somewhere near Zimmerman but they are going to start 100 million dollars and play the offer-counter offer game.

They better get it done, because it's without question if they don't, he will walk at the end of next season.

utl768
10-10-2012, 03:50 AM
no way thats get it done

zimmerman got 126 and is half the player wright is

Method28
10-10-2012, 04:07 AM

I think he means that the Mets won't be in contention any time soon yet they are signing a player to a Mega deal. Wright is great and all but I agree that they might be better off in the long run dealing him for specs.

IBleedPurple
10-10-2012, 04:13 AM

This.

HowFit
10-10-2012, 04:24 AM
I think he means that the Mets won't be in contention any time soon yet they are signing a player to a Mega deal. Wright is great and all but I agree that they might be better off in the long run dealing him for specs.

I agree...

ciaban
10-10-2012, 05:01 AM
locking up a star player who is about to leave his prime with no complimentary pieces around him and none coming anytime soon

this exactly

metswon69
10-10-2012, 05:40 AM
locking up a star player who is about to leave his prime with no complimentary pieces around him and none coming anytime soon

this exactly

The Mets aren't that far away from competing if they start to invest correctly.

2014 is a big year for them with 50 million dollars coming off their payroll and basically 3 players under contract in Niese, Dickey, and Wright.

Everyone else is pre-arbitration or arbitration eligible, they should have money to spend and have the makings of a very good rotation with Wheeler coming (Harvey being already up and looking very impressive)

It's about improving the bullpen which we all know bullpens don't take major tweaking year to year considering how bi-polar relief pitching is and getting an OF and a C.

If they have the money to address those issues next offseason, they have the core to compete with Ike, Niese, Harvey, Wheeler, Wright, Dickey, etc etc.

ciaban
10-10-2012, 06:41 AM
The Mets aren't that far away from competing if they start to invest correctly.

2014 is a big year for them with 50 million dollars coming off their payroll and basically 3 players under contract in Niese, Dickey, and Wright.

Everyone else is pre-arbitration or arbitration eligible, they should have money to spend and have the makings of a very good rotation with Wheeler coming (Harvey being already up and looking very impressive)

It's about improving the bullpen which we all know bullpens don't take major tweaking year to year considering how bi-polar relief pitching is and getting an OF and a C.

If they have the money to address those issues next offseason, they have the core to compete with Ike, Niese, Harvey, Wheeler, Wright, Dickey, etc etc.

i don't trust the wilpons to do this.

also, they are going to need to throw a lot of that money at 2 of those guys (wright and dickey) and the other thing is even if they have the money to address the offensive problems, who is hitting free agency that will help? i mean sure if you keep wright that's good, but who else is going to help offensively in the mean time or when the team finally does get around to competing? the market is sparse and the wilpons are cheap.

metswon69
10-10-2012, 06:44 AM
i don't trust the wilpons to do this.

also, they are going to need to throw a lot of that money at those 2 of those guys, and the other thing is even if they have the money to adress the offensive problems, who is hitting free agency that will help? i mean sure if you keep wright that's good, but who else is going to help offensively in the mean time or when the team finally does get around to competing? the market is sparse and the wilpons are cheap.

It's not about 2013, and even if they sign Wright and Dickey you are still talking a 40-45 million dollar payroll before they patrol the FA market in 2014.

Yes, they are cheap but the Madoff thing is behind them and they can't keep throwing out a 70-75 win ballclub with a small market mentality and expect people to show up.

Met fans aren't stupid, eventually the Wilpons are going to have to invest in this product otherwise that ballpark will be emptier than one of those old western ghost towns.

I expect them to be aggressive in FA and the trade market in 2014, especially with those cornerstone pieces I mentioned.

ciaban
10-10-2012, 07:16 AM
It's not about 2013, and even if they sign Wright and Dickey you are still talking a 40-45 million dollar payroll before they patrol the FA market in 2014.

Yes, they are cheap but the Madoff thing is behind them and they can't keep throwing out a 70-75 win ballclub with a small market mentality and expect people to show up.

Met fans aren't stupid, eventually the Wilpons are going to have to invest in this product otherwise that ballpark will be emptier than one of those old western ghost towns.

I expect them to be aggressive in FA and the trade market in 2014, especially with those cornerstone pieces I mentioned.

im talking 2014 too though, there really isn't a lot, i guess there is hanley rameriez, so maybe you guy will let him stay at ss even though i think 2nd base is a more natural position. the only guy i can really think of that would be usefull for the mets situation (OF) would be justin upton i guess, but idk if they have the money for that.

metswon69
10-10-2012, 07:25 AM
im talking 2014 too though, there really isn't a lot, i guess there is hanley rameriez, so maybe you guy will let him stay at ss even though i think 2nd base is a more natural position. the only guy i can really think of that would be usefull for the mets situation (OF) would be justin upton i guess, but idk if they have the money for that.

Well there is also the trade market, and the crop of 2014 FA isn't bad.

Michael Morse, Chris Young, Jacoby Ellsbury, David Murphy, Corey Hart, Martin Prado could all help the Mets.

There should be guys available.

oak2455
10-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Good move

ciaban
10-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Well there is also the trade market, and the crop of 2014 FA isn't bad.

Michael Morse, Chris Young, Jacoby Ellsbury, David Murphy, Corey Hart, Martin Prado could all help the Mets.

There should be guys available.
well who knows about morse he will be 32, both chris young and justin upton are totally inconsistent, they are either hot or cold, corey hart hits free agency next year i thought, Jacoby Ellsbury has really only had that one great year, and im not the biggest Prado fan personally but he all right i see what your saying, those 2 years from now who knows which guys will be locked up, if you look at the 2006 rookie class it really was something special, but practically all the guys in that class have been locked up long term or wont be hitting free agency for another couple of years like hanley and billingsly, so some of these guys may not even reach free agency. Though i do understand where your coming from, however, 2 years from now David Wright will be entering his age 33 season and dickey will be like 40, so even if they do spend, how long will this competitive window be open?

metswon69
10-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Though i do understand where your coming from, however, 2 years from now David Wright will be entering his age 33 season and dickey will be like 40, so even if they do spend, how long will this competitive window be open?

Wright will be 31 in 2014, and with Dickey i don't know how much of it has to do with age when he accomplished most of his success post 35 years of age with a knuckleball that seems to get better and better.

Call me crazy, but even if Dickey regresses (which he most likely will) he still should be good for 15 wins or so the next 2 years.

And remember the Mets have 3 cornerstone SPs they will be building around in Harvey, Wheeler, and Niese.

I am talking next year's crop of FA for the 2014 season btw, that's when the Mets lose Jason Bay, Johan Santana, and Frank Francisco off their payroll.

Pinstripe pride
10-10-2012, 08:55 AM
makes sense

Webslinger
10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
If I was Wright or Dickey, I'd run like the wind. The last thing you want is to be stuck on a team like the Mets.

metswon69
10-10-2012, 12:47 PM
If I was Wright or Dickey, I'd run like the wind. The last thing you want is to be stuck on a team like the Mets.

The team will have money next year, their cheap ways over the past 2 seasons and this year won't continue forever.

Wright grew up a Met's fan and is very loyal to the team, he'll be back if they pay him market value.

Dickey is a different case, they may choose to trade him because his value is never going to be as high as it is now.

fingerbang
10-10-2012, 01:10 PM
They need to trade him for prospects and spread that cash out on an outfield. Wright's not taking that current team anywhere in the next 5 years unless they get a lot better real fast.

Beltrans Mole
10-10-2012, 01:25 PM
They need to trade him for prospects and spread that cash out on an outfield. Wright's not taking that current team anywhere in the next 5 years unless they get a lot better real fast.

If they don't sign Wright then who will they sign long-term? The guy is the face of the franchise and is still in his prime. They can still build around Wright if they draft well and get another OF bat.

ciaban
10-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Wright will be 31 in 2014, and with Dickey i don't know how much of it has to do with age when he accomplished most of his success post 35 years of age with a knuckleball that seems to get better and better.

Call me crazy, but even if Dickey regresses (which he most likely will) he still should be good for 15 wins or so the next 2 years.

And remember the Mets have 3 cornerstone SPs they will be building around in Harvey, Wheeler, and Niese.

I am talking next year's crop of FA for the 2014 season btw, that's when the Mets lose Jason Bay, Johan Santana, and Frank Francisco off their payroll.
ok im sorry i thought we were discussing the free agents after the 2014 season, yeah this stuff gets confusing sometime no big deal,

the young pitchers are pretty good, but there is no guarantee that they develop right away in that first year

and yes loosing these contracts will be a big boost,

The team will have money next year, their cheap ways over the past 2 seasons and this year won't continue forever.

Wright grew up a Met's fan and is very loyal to the team, he'll be back if they pay him market value.

Dickey is a different case, they may choose to trade him because his value is never going to be as high as it is now.
isn't he from virgina? i didn't know that it was such a hot bed for mets fans, he might just be saying that, a lot of players do, if clayton kershaw leaves for detriot as a free agent he will talk about how he always loved them growing up, when in reality they could have just offered the most money.

which isn't to say that he doesn't love the team now, and sports are a business, no player is THAT loyal to a team, and vice versa. Not saying that he will for a fact leave, but i hate the loyalty argument, because fans get their hearts broken a lot.

gilly
10-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Dodgers.

metswon69
10-10-2012, 01:46 PM
isn't he from virgina? i didn't know that it was such a hot bed for mets fans, he might just be saying that, a lot of players do, if clayton kershaw leaves for detriot as a free agent he will talk about how he always loved them growing up, when in reality they could have just offered the most money.

Yeah it used to be before the Nationals came there, but yeah David was a big Mets fan growing up in Chesapeake Virginia (he talks about a lot on WFAN over here)

He said it had to do with the Norfolk Tide being not to far from there and he used to go to a lot of their games (which was the AAA for Mets for several years)

But don't get me wrong, like you said his loyalty only goes so far and he wouldn't even think about re-signing if the Mets didn't offer him market value.

I get the impression from everything that comes out of David's mouth he wants to retire a Met if the Mets are willing to commit to him and i think the Wilpons are smart enough to understand his importance to the franchise to make sure he is brought back.

There only other option is to deal him before he hits FA, but i dont see that happening.

metswon69
10-10-2012, 01:54 PM
the young pitchers are pretty good, but there is no guarantee that they develop right away in that first year

Niese established himself this year as being a solid #3 and next year i think he will take steps towards being a #2.

Harvey was excellent in albeit a small sample size but the kid has lights out stuff with 3 plus pitches (sometimes 4 when that changeup is working) and Wheeler is a top 10 prospect according to most.

If Harvey was this good, i can't wait to see Wheeler.

Beltrans Mole
10-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Niese established himself this year as being a solid #3 and next year i think he will take steps towards being a #2.

Harvey was excellent in albeit a small sample size but the kid has lights out stuff with 3 plus pitches (sometimes 4 when that changeup is working) and Wheeler is a top 10 prospect according to most.

If Harvey was this good, i can't wait to see Wheeler.

1. Dickey
2. Santana (assuming he can come back strong next season)
3. Niese
4. Harvey
5. Gee

Not to mention that we have guys like Young and Hefner who can make spot starts...and Wheeler should be ready to come up by mid-season. Despite all of the Mets issue with offense and bullpen, the starters have been great and will continue to get better. Just need an OF bat and an everyday catcher IMO and we can contend for a playoff spot in '13.

fingerbang
10-10-2012, 02:53 PM
If they don't sign Wright then who will they sign long-term? The guy is the face of the franchise and is still in his prime. They can still build around Wright if they draft well and get another OF bat.

I'd rather try to build the team around the prospect and then use the 100 million elsewhere to maximize the lineup. I think you need as many solid young players as possible to compete. Realistically, Wright's about 32 years old by the time this team is a playoff contender again. Not too old, but not a big window either.

ManningToTyree
10-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Good starting point, but I have no faith in the Wilpons shelling out enough to convince David to fore go FA. this is a guy who grew up a Mets fan and has been the face of the franchise for nearly a decade and they still won't do what is required to keep him. I hpe I am wrong because I would like my team to do something right for a change.

rockbottom2010
10-10-2012, 08:36 PM
no way thats get it done

ryan Z is more consistent than wright....not only that hes younger

acousticmike80
10-11-2012, 11:47 AM
ryan Z is more consistent than wright....

???

ciaban
10-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Dodgers.

noooo, hanley is our 3b, though i think 2nd base would be a more natural position, and Ellis contract is up that year too, but still i don't think that it will happen.

Jeffy25
10-11-2012, 01:13 PM
no way thats get it done

Zimmerman is an extremely good comp for Wright

Plus Wright is older, in this extension.

Wright getting the exact same deal makes a lot of sense actually. He might surpass it, but he probably shouldn't.