PDA

View Full Version : Where do You Rank Atlanta?

StarvingKnick22
10-08-2012, 07:14 PM
This is a very stacked team. Why we underate it? I don't know.
Their starting lineup already seems great itself:
Point Gaurd Jeff Teague (http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/09/22/00/slideshow_1002299195_121211hawks_dt15.JPG)- A young, proven guard who can produce big numbers each night, with great big men in the paint, he is bound to do easily spread the ball more, getting better with assists each year, I have much faith in him this season. Plus he is born on my birthday ;).

Anthony Morrow (http://www.nba.com/media/act_anthony_morrow.jpg)/Lou Williams (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Louis_Williams_76ers_vs_Wizards.jpg/220px-Louis_Williams_76ers_vs_Wizards.jpg)- Morrow, is an absolute bomb from three point land, a great spot-up shooter who could help them in the clutch. Lou Williams cannot go unnoticed. what he can do for a team off the bench is nothing short of amazing. he can play both PG and SG for this team, and was arguably one of the biggest off season pick-ups.

Kyle Korver (http://theredshirtchrislehman.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/kyle-korver1.jpg)-A great three point shooter, whom can not be left open.

Josh Smith (http://thebostonjam.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/joshsmith.jpg)- One of the most athletic big men in the game today. A fan favorite. What he brings on the defensive end can do wonders for any team. Though short for the Power foward position, his vertical leaping ability shows that he can play this position. His height also helps at the Offensive end, moving quicker than his defender. He is widely considered a future DPOY.

Al Horford (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fh8Akv1CGdU/UCPj6BqlRyI/AAAAAAAAGPs/beLPlw1xSV0/s1600/al_horford_hawks-32.jpg)- Though short for the Center position, Horford is a great player all around, a young player. His high feild goal percentage is a coach's dream. Capable of getting +12 boards every night. He works well with other players, and with the new squad, he will fit well.

So this team overall is just good. Where do you rank them? I think 3rd Seed. They are also rumored to getting Chris Paul,if not staying in L.A.

Fly
10-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Why GD?

StarvingKnick22
10-08-2012, 07:16 PM
oops! wrong forum. lolool

Buckwheat
10-08-2012, 07:17 PM
4 seed

PleaseBeNice
10-08-2012, 07:21 PM
treadmill team

Lakers + Giants
10-08-2012, 07:42 PM
They show no passion. Can't respect the hawks.

DoMeFavors
10-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I like their team I think they will be a playoff team

ichitownclowni
10-08-2012, 07:48 PM
They show no passion. Can't respect the hawks.

This

xnick5757
10-08-2012, 07:51 PM
This is a very stacked team. Why we underate it? I don't know.
Their starting lineup already seems great itself:
Point Gaurd Jeff Teague (http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/09/22/00/slideshow_1002299195_121211hawks_dt15.JPG)- A young, proven guard who can produce big numbers each night, with great big men in the paint, he is bound to do easily spread the ball more, getting better with assists each year, I have much faith in him this season. Plus he is born on my birthday ;).

Anthony Morrow (http://www.nba.com/media/act_anthony_morrow.jpg)/Lou Williams (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Louis_Williams_76ers_vs_Wizards.jpg/220px-Louis_Williams_76ers_vs_Wizards.jpg)- Morrow, is an absolute bomb from three point land, a great spot-up shooter who could help them in the clutch. Lou Williams cannot go unnoticed. what he can do for a team off the bench is nothing short of amazing. he can play both PG and SG for this team, and was arguably one of the biggest off season pick-ups.

Kyle Korver (http://theredshirtchrislehman.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/kyle-korver1.jpg)-A great three point shooter, whom can not be left open.

Josh Smith (http://thebostonjam.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/joshsmith.jpg)- One of the most athletic big men in the game today. A fan favorite. What he brings on the defensive end can do wonders for any team. Though short for the Power foward position, his vertical leaping ability shows that he can play this position. His height also helps at the Offensive end, moving quicker than his defender. He is widely considered a future DPOY.

Al Horford (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fh8Akv1CGdU/UCPj6BqlRyI/AAAAAAAAGPs/beLPlw1xSV0/s1600/al_horford_hawks-32.jpg)- Though short for the Center position, Horford is a great player all around, a young player. His high feild goal percentage is a coach's dream. Capable of getting +12 boards every night. He works well with other players, and with the new squad, he will fit well.

So this team overall is just good. Where do you rank them? I think 3rd Seed. They are also rumored to getting Chris Paul,if not staying in L.A.

there you have it folks

SINCESTARBURY25
10-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Being from Georgia I always want the Hawks to be good but they wont be.

xxplayerxx23
10-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Highest I see them is an 8 seed.

Corey
10-08-2012, 08:07 PM
I dont have them in the playoffs right now.

I love Al Horford though.

JNoel
10-08-2012, 08:19 PM
40 wins.

Hawkeye15
10-08-2012, 08:21 PM
9th seed in the east right now for me. Look for Ferry to continue to shell of deals, meaning Smith is traded before the deadline, and Atlanta enters rebuild.

thrice4
10-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Atlanta I hope will destroy Brooklyn.

thrice4
10-08-2012, 08:47 PM

nets took Joe away hahaha. Nets are crap

29$JerZ
10-08-2012, 08:50 PM
It's still the East so they can sneak into the playoffs imo as a 7th/8th seed.
As long as they keep the Smith/Horford combo.

DoMeFavors
10-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Atlanta I hope will destroy Brooklyn.

I see that as a sign of respect, you hate us because we are that good.

mrblisterdundee
10-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I just took both Josh Smith and Al Horford in my fantasy draft. That's how confident I am that they'll combine for a great front court again. I'd say they're even weaker now at small forward than they were with Marvin Williams, and they will have problems with ball movement.
I'd say they can squeak into the eighth seed for the playoffs. If only all those wonderful wings the last few years in Atlanta had a good point guard, Atlanta would have been a serious contender.

thrice4
10-08-2012, 09:08 PM

hahaha you are the funniest dude on here!

thrice4
10-08-2012, 09:10 PM
but anyways. I see Teague having his best year and Lou helping them out. I think they will make the playoffs. Josh is getting better and Al is still really good. That Korver signing was a good one.

Blitzbolt
10-08-2012, 09:13 PM

Al Horford is the key it all depends in how he plays.

xxplayerxx23
10-08-2012, 09:13 PM
If horford stays healthy then they have a shot.

xxplayerxx23
10-08-2012, 09:14 PM

:laugh2:

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 10:17 PM
7th or 8th seed at best with no Joe Johnson.

topdog
10-08-2012, 10:39 PM
9th seed in the east right now for me. Look for Ferry to continue to shell of deals, meaning Smith is traded before the deadline, and Atlanta enters rebuild.

I think Ferry will wait for the off-season to part with Smith unless there is an indication that D12 will for sure re-sign with LA. It's a shot worth taking.

I agree with 9th seed though which means they potentially could fight for a playoff spot imo.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-08-2012, 10:45 PM
8th to 10th seed.

Al Horford will be a 19 and 11 guy this year.

JLynn943
10-08-2012, 10:48 PM
OP's assessment of Teague is ridiculous. He isn't bad, but that post made him sound like a star.

Anyway, the East isn't as good as people apparently think it is. Hawks will be around the 7th seed if they stay healthy.

HotMayo
10-08-2012, 10:50 PM
they should start williams and play his 35 mpg

Ill21
10-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Maybe 7-8 seed. Wouldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs though

SINCESTARBURY25
10-09-2012, 12:08 AM

Seeing Joe Johnson perform on the Hawks every game I think that Louis Williams can do what he did. Joe doesn't have a winning attitude just so all the BK fans can know. He never seemed interested in the playoffs. Kind of like how Melo is sometimes. Doesn't mean he isn't good just means he isn't 100 percent commited.

Hawkeye15
10-09-2012, 12:12 AM
I think Ferry will wait for the off-season to part with Smith unless there is an indication that D12 will for sure re-sign with LA. It's a shot worth taking.

I agree with 9th seed though which means they potentially could fight for a playoff spot imo.

mm, yeah, I guess that makes sense. I still think he came in with the goal to shell of the contracts if he can get value that is deemed fair.

Hawkeye15
10-09-2012, 12:13 AM

He wasn't even remotely their best player. That being said, they will fall due to Ferry obviously being given the directive to shell every bad or long deal off that doesn't include Horford (imo).

Phenomenonsense
10-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Not in the playoffs.

mdm692
10-09-2012, 12:37 AM
ATL will have a down year, best case for them is 6-8 seed. Josh Smith will leave them and they will finally sign a C to let Horford play his natural position, PF, then he will be the best PF in the league.

douglas
10-09-2012, 12:41 AM
I see the Atlanta Hawks as somewhere between the teams that are better than them and the teams that are not better than them.

ugafan
10-09-2012, 12:49 AM
We didn't have Horford last year. Lost Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams, added Horford, Korver, Lou Williams, Devin Harris, Anthony Morrow. We'll make the playoffs fairly easily, 6 seed IMO.

popo85
10-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Lower playoff seed. Toronto/NJ improved in the offseason and if it wasn't for Wall's injury they would be in fighting for a lower seed as well.

Ebbs
10-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Heat
Knicks
Celtics
Nets
Pacers
Sixers

All are better in my mind.

Hawkeye15
10-09-2012, 03:34 AM
We didn't have Horford last year. Lost Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams, added Horford, Korver, Lou Williams, Devin Harris, Anthony Morrow. We'll make the playoffs fairly easily, 6 seed IMO.

My prediction of Atlanta missing is based off continued injury concerns, and the movement of Josh Smith for rebuild purpose. If they stay healthy, and keep Smith for now, yes, I think they squeak into the playoffs to be the sac-lamb of Miami.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 08:27 AM

How so?
Heat
Celtics
indy
knicks
Philly
Bulls
Nets
out of the 7 who are you better then? Horford needs to stay healthy for you even to fight for that 8 seed.

xcrisisx
10-09-2012, 08:31 AM
I see the Atlanta Hawks as somewhere between the teams that are better than them and the teams that are not better than them.

almost prophetic words

D-Block21-Chito
10-09-2012, 09:20 AM

This

mike44
10-09-2012, 09:32 AM
The Hawks didnt have their best player in Horford last year and still were the 5 seed. They lose Joe but Lou basically does what Joe does, they added some the best 3 pt shooters in Morrow, Korver, and Jenkins. I think they are around the 6 seed if everyone stays healthy.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 10:20 AM
The Hawks didnt have their best player in Horford last year and still were the 5 seed. They lose Joe but Lou basically does what Joe does, they added some the best 3 pt shooters in Morrow, Korver, and Jenkins. I think they are around the 6 seed if everyone stays healthy.

Wait what?? Lou is a chucker. Joe wasn't great but don't say Lou does what Joe did.
Please tell me which playoff team there over??
Heat, Celtics,Indy,Knicks,Philly,Nets,Bulls??? They will be fighting for the 8 seed./

I Rock Shaqs
10-09-2012, 10:34 AM
9th, to 12th.

nycericanguy
10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Joe Johnson wasn't that good last year. Lou Williams alone put up similiar numbers in much less playing time and had a much higher PER. JJ at this point in his career is a volume scorer who rarely gets to the FT line.

Lou attempted 4.6 FT PG in just 26mpg, JJ only 3.1 in 36mpg. And LOU actually scored more PPG per 36m.

Then they added Morrow & Korver, two of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA.

Devin Harris will be one of the best backup PG's and Teague keeps getting better.

Hortford is back too.

If they keep the team together they can be a 5-8th seed.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Lou is a chucker :laugh: No way they are better then the 7 teams I named unless one of those teams get hurt. Or maybe Im too big of a beliver in the bulls being a playoff team?

nycericanguy
10-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Lou is a chucker :laugh: No way they are better then the 7 teams I named unless one of those teams get hurt. Or maybe Im too big of a beliver in the bulls being a playoff team?

I think the east is pretty wide open after MIA. Especially 3-6th seeds.

Losing JJ hurt ATL, but I don't think they'll take a HUGE step back... JJ is more of a name at this point than a real star.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I think the east is pretty wide open after MIA. Especially 3-6th seeds.

Losing JJ hurt ATL, but I don't think they'll take a HUGE step back... JJ is more of a name at this point than a real star.

I disagree. He is still very good, not great but still a huge loss. Williams is a chucker and Korver starting at SF is that right? IMO there are 7 teams in the east better,

nycericanguy
10-09-2012, 11:05 AM
I disagree. He is still very good, not great but still a huge loss. Williams is a chucker and Korver starting at SF is that right? IMO there are 7 teams in the east better,

he's a very good player yes, but if you replace a very good SG and an average SF in Marvin with Lou, Morrow, Korver & Harris you shouldn't just fall off the face of the earth.

ATL when healthy was a 50+ win team. I don't think losing JJ = going from 50 wins to out of the playoffs. They should still win around 45 games which could be good enough for around a 6th seed.

mike44
10-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Wait what?? Lou is a chucker. Joe wasn't great but don't say Lou does what Joe did.
Heat, Celtics,Indy,Knicks,Philly,Nets,Bulls??? They will be fighting for the 8 seed./

They score at about the same rate, because Lou actually drives and gets to the foul line. He's obviously not as good as Joe but he will score about 15 pts as opposed to the 18 joe was giving, they are both scorers and score at similar rates. I think after the top 3 seeds it could really go in any order. I mean the Hawks were the 5th seed last year without their best player.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Come on man, Yeah Lou scores but at an inefficent rate. Im sorry but the Knicks, Nets, Philly, all improved. Bulls are the only team I see the hawks being close to better then.

nycericanguy
10-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Come on man, Yeah Lou scores but at an inefficent rate. Im sorry but the Knicks, Nets, Philly, all improved. Bulls are the only team I see the hawks being close to better then.

they pretty much scored at the same rate last year. Actually Lou averaged more points per shot attempt.

Like the other poster said, JJ might shooter better but he never gets to the FT line. Lou drives alot and scores more at the FT line.

Lou had a higher PER and scored more per 36.

Again JJ is better, but its not like they lost a superstar. Getting Hortford back will help them alot.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
they pretty much scored at the same rate last year. Actually Lou averaged more points per shot attempt.

Like the other poster said, JJ might shooter better but he never gets to the FT line. Lou drives alot and scores more at the FT line.

Lou had a higher PER and scored more per 36.

Again JJ is better, but its not like they lost a superstar. Getting Hortford back will help them alot.

I don't trust Lou but alright. I just don't see them being better then any of the 7 teams I named.

Shytown
10-09-2012, 12:45 PM
I see them getting slipped out of the playoffs but they are in the EAST, so they can be a #8 seed.

The top 6 teams in no order will most likely be, Celtics, Heat, Pacers, Nets, Knicks.... Bulls.
With the East, it's much easier than the West.
Magic will most likely be one of the worst teams next season. So anyone can get #7 and #8. 76ers might make it as well, I gotta way to see that team play. I have no idea what to expect from them.

ugafan
10-09-2012, 01:30 PM
My prediction of Atlanta missing is based off continued injury concerns, and the movement of Josh Smith for rebuild purpose. If they stay healthy, and keep Smith for now, yes, I think they squeak into the playoffs to be the sac-lamb of Miami.

Ferry made it pretty clear that we're keeping Smith and Smith has expressed intrest in staying in ATL.

ugafan
10-09-2012, 01:32 PM
How so?
Heat
Celtics
indy
knicks
Philly
Bulls
Nets
out of the 7 who are you better then? Horford needs to stay healthy for you even to fight for that 8 seed.
I think we're better than the Knicks and the 76ers. Obviously not a popular opinion but only time will tell. I'd like to think of myself as a fairly impartial poster and I truly believe we're better than those two teams.

But again, only time will tell.

Stinkyoutsider
10-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I think the talent on the team is good. And, they'll be getting away from isolation basketball now that Joe Johnson is gone from the team. Lots of shooting with Morrow and Korver. Actually, I think they've got to get someone on the team who's going to draw doubles now that they've got plenty of good shooters. Can Horford be this guy?

I honestly think Smith will probably be traded soon and this will allow Horford to move to his natural position at PF. Not too many PFs in the league who could match his talent and athleticisim.

I always would have liked to see Smith become the 6th man with him bringing energy and defense off the bench. Horford would be the starter. Those 2 play together all the time anyway, so why not get Horford some time at his natural position.

ugafan
10-09-2012, 01:34 PM

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2012/10/1/3441510/hawks-media-day-2012-josh-smith-danny-ferry

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/07/25/hawks-ferry-doesnt-see-josh-smith-going-anywhere/

ugafan
10-09-2012, 01:35 PM
I think the talent on the team is good. And, they'll be getting away from isolation basketball now that Joe Johnson is gone from the team. Lots of shooting with Morrow and Korver. Actually, I think they've got to get someone on the team who's going to draw doubles now that they've got plenty of good shooters. Can Horford be this guy?

I honestly think Smith will probably be traded soon and this will allow Horford to move to his natural position at PF. Not too many PFs in the league who could match his talent and athleticisim.

I always would have liked to see Smith become the 6th man with him bringing energy and defense off the bench. Horford would be the starter. Those 2 play together all the time anyway, so why not get Horford some time at his natural position.

Because we have no starting caliber center. Every Hawks fan would love to see Horford at PF but we just don't have the personnel to do that. And having Smith come off the bench is the worst idea I've heard in years, I'm sorry. Now that we have some great shooters, he'll hopefully stop taking so many jumpers.

Bravo95
10-09-2012, 01:54 PM
4th best record in the East last season without Horford and plenty of other injuries (Zaza, T-Mac, RadMan, Hinrich, etc)

Top 5 in 3PT % last season... and added Korver, Morrow, Jenkins, and Harris.

Headed for Salary Cap hell with a declining Joe Johnson... added Lou Williams, who is younger and put up comparable numbers, for 1/4th the cost.

Oh and.... Ivan Johnson.

As Bernard Hopkins once said: "Do da maff!" :laugh2:

Hawkeye15
10-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Ferry made it pretty clear that we're keeping Smith and Smith has expressed intrest in staying in ATL.

We will see what happens though. Smith will be chased hard by teams that are on the cusp, and if Ferry can get some young talent and picks for him, wouldn't you pull the trigger? I would. Atlanta has been stuck in the worst area for a long time. That "2 steps below elite, but not bad enough to ever get a good pick" area. You have Horford, and some young pieces. Smith is forcing your best player to play out of position. Time to shell him off and get something shiny in return.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I think we're better than the Knicks and the 76ers. Obviously not a popular opinion but only time will tell. I'd like to think of myself as a fairly impartial poster and I truly believe we're better than those two teams.

But again, only time will tell.

Explain how? Im not the type to discount anybodys opinion but how in the world is Atlanta better then the Knicks and Philly?

mike44
10-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Explain how? Im not the type to discount anybodys opinion but how in the world is Atlanta better then the Knicks and Philly?

Well Atlanta was 4 games better than NY and 5 games better than Philly last year ( shortened season), and that was without their best player. This year they will get Horford back but lose Joe who is probably their 3rd best player, but added some good pieces and good shooters. Knicks added Brewer, Felton and some vets, while losing Lin (and shump for part of the year). Philly got Bynum but lost Iggy and Lou. Im not saying Hawks will definitely be better then these teams, but its not ridiculous to suggest it.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Well Atlanta was 4 games better than NY and 5 games better than Philly last year ( shortened season), and that was without their best player. This year they will get Horford back but lose Joe who is probably their 3rd best player, but added some good pieces and good shooters. Knicks added Brewer, Felton and some vets, while losing Lin (and shump for part of the year). Philly got Bynum but lost Iggy and Lou. Im not saying Hawks will definitely be better then these teams, but its not ridiculous to suggest it.

IMO it is. According to ESPN site I looked at is it true that this is the starting Lineup?
Teague
Morrow
Korver
Smith
Horford?
Yes lou will is a solid bench player and the same with Harris but come on your wings are terrible. Who is going to guard Melo? IMO the Hawks are a 40-42 win team and they will be fighting for an 8 seed.

Hawkeye15
10-09-2012, 03:28 PM
safe to say, Atlanta would be my dark horse in the east. If they are indeed a near 50 win team, it validates my stance on Joe Johnson being entirely overrated.

JLynn943
10-09-2012, 03:35 PM
IMO it is. According to ESPN site I looked at is it true that this is the starting Lineup?
Teague
Morrow
Korver
Smith
Horford?
Yes lou will is a solid bench player and the same with Harris but come on your wings are terrible. Who is going to guard Melo? IMO the Hawks are a 40-42 win team and they will be fighting for an 8 seed.

I'd imagine they could move some things around and have Smith on Melo :shrug: It's not like Chandler is such an offensive force that they couldn't afford to throw their other centers in, move Horford down to PF and Smith to SF against the Knicks.

I'm another person who thinks the Hawks (if healthy) are better than the Knicks though. Knicks have to prove that they can play together and capitalize on their talent before I believe in them.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I'd imagine they could move some things around and have Smith on Melo :shrug: It's not like Chandler is such an offensive force that they couldn't afford to throw their other centers in, move Horford down to PF and Smith to SF against the Knicks.

I'm another person who thinks the Hawks (if healthy) are better than the Knicks though. Knicks have to prove that they can play together and capitalize on their talent before I believe in them.

Im sorry but I don't think so. Smith isn't quick enough to stay in front of melo. We have seen that before. Chandler still runs the pick and roll so you have to stay at least honest. I just don't see it at all.

mike44
10-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Teague
Morrow
Korver
Smith
Horford?

I dont know what the starting lineup will be (if Lou will be in there or off the bench) doesnt really matter the team has tons of talent. Two of the best 3 pt shooters in the legaue and they drafted the best shooter in the draft in John Jenkins. Teague should only improve and is already one of the best defensive pgs in the league. Horford and Smith (if he finally makes it) should be All-Stars.
If it is ridiculous to suggest how were the Hawks that much better then the Knicks last year when the Hawks didnt even have their best player?

JLynn943
10-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Im sorry but I don't think so. Smith isn't quick enough to stay in front of melo. We have seen that before. Chandler still runs the pick and roll so you have to stay at least honest. I just don't see it at all.

Well, I'm not going to pretend that I've watched many Hawks-Knicks games. I just know Smith is an athletic player and a good defender. Regardless, I haven't seen enough from the Knicks to think they can surpass a healthy Hawks team.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 03:50 PM
I dont know what the starting lineup will be (if Lou will be in there or off the bench) doesnt really matter the team has tons of talent. Two of the best 3 pt shooters in the legaue and they drafted the best shooter in the draft in John Jenkins. Teague should only improve and is already one of the best defensive pgs in the league. Horford and Smith (if he finally makes it) should be All-Stars.
If it is ridiculous to suggest how were the Hawks that much better then the Knicks last year when the Hawks didnt even have their best player?

What you don't understand is Joe is still a big time player, yes he is overrated but he is still a loss.
Much better then the Knicks? Please I wish we would of had the Hawks in round 1 :sigh: Anyway you have two top 3 point shooters but thats all they are. Neither should start and according to ESPN depth chart is both are. Im sorry Horford Smith is nice but besides that im not impressed. I like Teague but meh overall.

Bravo95
10-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Josh will play some SF this year, depending on the matchup, Larry Drew already confirmed that.

Personally, I wouldn't project any lineups because I believe it's going to change frequently, with Drew riding the hot hand/best matchups. Might see Lou starting some nights, 6th man on others. Same for other key players.

Also, consider that they have more depth with their bigs. Last year, they filled Horford's absence with guys who shouldn't even be in the league like Jason Collins and Erick Dampier. WTF.

JLynn943
10-09-2012, 03:56 PM
What you don't understand is Joe is still a big time player, yes he is overrated but he is still a loss.
Much better then the Knicks? Please I wish we would of had the Hawks in round 1 :sigh: Anyway you have two top 3 point shooters but thats all they are. Neither should start and according to ESPN depth chart is both are. Im sorry Horford Smith is nice but besides that im not impressed. I like Teague but meh overall.

The Hawks are obviously limited and not a championship team, but this is just a matter of what you're comparing it to, and I've seen nothing from the Knicks to make me think that they are better than the Hawks are. :shrug:

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 03:58 PM
The Hawks are obviously limited and not a championship team, but this is just a matter of what you're comparing it to, and I've seen nothing from the Knicks to make me think that they are better than the Hawks are. :shrug:

But what have you seen from the new look Hawks that makes you think they are better then the Newlook Knicks? Wow I confused myself with this post lol

ugafan
10-09-2012, 03:59 PM
We will see what happens though. Smith will be chased hard by teams that are on the cusp, and if Ferry can get some young talent and picks for him, wouldn't you pull the trigger? I would. Atlanta has been stuck in the worst area for a long time. That "2 steps below elite, but not bad enough to ever get a good pick" area. You have Horford, and some young pieces. Smith is forcing your best player to play out of position. Time to shell him off and get something shiny in return.
I respect your opinion but I disagree. I've been following the situation fairly closely and I think Ferry's gonna try and resign Smoove and sign somebody next offseason to go with him and Horford(CP3, Dwight, Harden, etc.) or maybe even more than one. We have the most cap room in the NBA after this season.

We've been stuck in the "2 steps below elite, but not bad enough to ever get a good pick" area, nobody is denying that. But we just shook up our roster considerably and I think we have a lot of room to grow especially considering our cap situation. I'm not totally against trading Josh Smith but I just don't see it happening unless we underperform significantly for some reason.

JLynn943
10-09-2012, 04:02 PM
But what have you seen from the new look Hawks that makes you think they are better then the Newlook Knicks? Wow I confused myself with this post lol
Yeah, that was confusing :laugh2:

For me it's mostly that the Hawks have their 2 best players still and that those players have played well together in the past. Plus Teague isn't new to his role either. Meanwhile Melo and Amare, while unquestionably very talented, haven't really put it all together yet imo. Both teams have talent, I guess I just think the Hawks are more cohesive.

HowFit
10-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Joe Johnson wasn't that good last year. Lou Williams alone put up similiar numbers in much less playing time and had a much higher PER. JJ at this point in his career is a volume scorer who rarely gets to the FT line.

Lou attempted 4.6 FT PG in just 26mpg, JJ only 3.1 in 36mpg. And LOU actually scored more PPG per 36m.

Then they added Morrow & Korver, two of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA.

Devin Harris will be one of the best backup PG's and Teague keeps getting better.

Hortford is back too.

If they keep the team together they can be a 5-8th seed.

This...

ugafan
10-09-2012, 04:04 PM

The new look Knicks? The Knicks really aren't much different than they were last year and with the loss of Lin, I would say that they're only slightly better than last year's team(when healthy).

I think the Hawks have a better roster top to bottom than they did last year.

mike44
10-09-2012, 04:05 PM

The fact is the Hawks were better than the Knicks last year without their best player. I understand Joe is good but its really not that big of a loss because it will give Horford more shots and it allowed them to add Lou. But it doesnt really matter what we think it will all get settled on the court.

ugafan
10-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Also, FWIW, Basketball Prospectus has the Hawks as the 2 seed this year.

Hawkeye15
10-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I respect your opinion but I disagree. I've been following the situation fairly closely and I think Ferry's gonna try and resign Smoove and sign somebody next offseason to go with him and Horford(CP3, Dwight, Harden, etc.) or maybe even more than one. We have the most cap room in the NBA after this season.

We've been stuck in the "2 steps below elite, but not bad enough to ever get a good pick" area, nobody is denying that. But we just shook up our roster considerably and I think we have a lot of room to grow especially considering our cap situation. I'm not totally against trading Josh Smith but I just don't see it happening unless we underperform significantly for some reason.

I will say, if the Smith/Horford combination works out well, and they are on pace for a 4-7 seed, they will probably stick with it.

I guess I am playing GM here. I just don't see the point in having Smith at that money when I could trade him for youth and picks, along with cap relief, and slide Horford to PF, and chase Harden, CP3 or Dwight next offseason.

God why didn't you guys take Paul to being with????? Ugh.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Yeah, that was confusing :laugh2:

For me it's mostly that the Hawks have their 2 best players still and that those players have played well together in the past. Plus Teague isn't new to his role either. Meanwhile Melo and Amare, while unquestionably very talented, haven't really put it all together yet imo. Both teams have talent, I guess I just think the Hawks are more cohesive.

Yeah I can agree with the Question marks. They are very much still there as a Knick fan I know that they have to mesh to be sucessful. But we are a very good defensive group and I think Melo is going to take a step foward this year. Maybe its just me Im just not that impressed with the Hawks even though I like them. Teague-Smith-Horford is nice but I just have to see a step from Teague to make me think they will overtake NY. Maybe Im wrong and the Hawks take the bulls or nets spot (Id be so happy lol).

Hawkeye15
10-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Also, FWIW, Basketball Prospectus has the Hawks as the 2 seed this year.

They have the Wolves as a top 3 seed out west dude.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 04:11 PM
The new look Knicks? The Knicks really aren't much different than they were last year and with the loss of Lin, I would say that they're only slightly better than last year's team(when healthy).

I think the Hawks have a better roster top to bottom than they did last year.

We have some new faces :shrug: Not saying we much better but a full TC, and some nice vets, I think we improved a lot and it will show in the win Colum.

ugafan
10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
They have the Wolves as a top 3 seed out west dude.
:hi5:

:p

We have some new faces :shrug: Not saying we much better but a full TC, and some nice vets, I think we improved a lot and it will show in the win Colum.

Yeah, you guys definitely improved. I love the additions of Camby and Brewer but I just think the Hawks improved more. :shrug:

JJ really isn't that great and Lou Williams is more than capable of stepping in(as pointed out by somebody else a while ago) and we get our best player back. We added Korver and Morrow, two of the best shooters in the league and Devin Harris is solid depth as well.

But once again, there's no way to know what will actually happen until the season so until then, good luck to your Knicks. :cheers:

Bravo95
10-09-2012, 04:20 PM
God why didn't you guys take Paul to being with????? Ugh.
Billy Knight said he was "too short." :pity:

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 04:21 PM
:hi5:

:p

Yeah, you guys definitely improved. I love the additions of Camby and Brewer but I just think the Hawks improved more. :shrug:

JJ really isn't that great and Lou Williams is more than capable of stepping in(as pointed out by somebody else a while ago) and we get our best player back. We added Korver and Morrow, two of the best shooters in the league and Devin Harris is solid depth as well.

But once again, there's no way to know what will actually happen until the season so until then, good luck to your Knicks. :cheers:

Yeah I guess. I just think the loss of JJ is big maybe Im wrong. Hopefully you leap ahead of the nets and bulls :p. Same to the Hawks man :cheers:

Bravo95
Plus Teague isn't new to his role either.
And entering a contract year.

mngopher35
I have them fighting for that last playoff spot right now. I think horford and smith might be enough for them to sneak in the east. Im not sure they will have the same roster at the deadline though, they could go many different ways depending on how they are playing...

WhoAmI-
10-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Atlanta > BK.

The nets aren't going to jump up that high in one year... I never knew getting an overpaid scorer will make your team a top 5 team in the league.

ugafan
10-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Atlanta > BK.

The nets aren't going to jump up that high in one year... I never knew getting an overpaid scorer will make your team a top 5 team in the league.

If Lopez can stay healthy, I think they'll be pretty damn good.

Hawkeye15
10-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Billy Knight said he was "too short." :pity:

I mean, I get pissed about some of the Wolves mistakes, but Knight's infatuation with long combo forwards during that time span would have driven me nuts.

Gram
10-09-2012, 04:53 PM
They're pretty sick still.

Bravo95
10-09-2012, 05:08 PM
I mean, I get pissed about some of the Wolves mistakes, but Knight's infatuation with long combo forwards during that time span would have driven me nuts.
The best part was reading/listening to him constantly talking up Sheldon Williams like they just drafted Bill Russell. As if the rest of us had never seen Duke play.

And all this was going on while one of our owners was suing the others. Fun times.

MintBerryCrunch
10-09-2012, 05:23 PM

The troll gives himself away once again

xcrisisx
10-09-2012, 05:46 PM
The best part was reading/listening to him constantly talking up Sheldon Williams like they just drafted Bill Russell. As if the rest of us had never seen Duke play.

And all this was going on while one of our owners was suing the others. Fun times.

the best part was trading sheldon for mike bibby 2 years after that speach

Hawkeye15
10-09-2012, 06:52 PM

hahahaha, no ****. Sorry man, I am sure that was beyond annoying.

StarvingKnick22
10-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Lou averaged +20 off the bench. He isnt a chucker.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Lou averaged +20 off the bench. He isnt a chucker.

Oh yeah his 40 percent shooting says otherwise.

StarvingKnick22
10-09-2012, 08:39 PM
But he only plays for 26 minutes.

Raidaz4Life
10-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Atlanta needs to do everything they can to trade Smith for Pau.... Pau and Horford would be such a sick front court.

xxplayerxx23
10-09-2012, 09:23 PM
But he only plays for 26 minutes.

Proves my point even more. Scores near 15 on 12.6 shots and shoots 40 percent. He is a chucker

Ill21
10-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Wrong thread

ugafan
12-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Highest I see them is an 8 seed.

I dont have them in the playoffs right now.

I love Al Horford though.

8th to 10th seed.

Al Horford will be a 19 and 11 guy this year.

Maybe 7-8 seed. Wouldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs though

Not in the playoffs.

The Hawks are 12-5 and just beat the team with the best record in the league. They also have wins over OKC, LAC, and DEN.

Where do you see them finishing now that we've seen what they're capable of?

xxplayerxx23
12-09-2012, 12:47 AM
The Hawks are 12-5 and just beat the team with the best record in the league. They also have wins over OKC, LAC, and DEN.

Where do you see them finishing now that we've seen what they're capable of?

They have played, well and Im a big Horford fan, I can see them being solid but Idk not sold on them tbh at least not yet.

*Silver&Black*
12-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Well seeing that everyone thought we would drop without JJ (except for Hawks fans), I'm not surprised where the Hawks are at right now. It was obvious for our team's core to be successful (Smith/Horford), we didn't need a SG that needed the ball and offense to run through him at all times. Getting rid of Joe and Marvin, replacing them with pure shooters (Korver/Morrow), a very good 6th man (Lou Williams), a good defender (Stevenson) and capable back-up PG (Harris) made us a more balanced team (instead of vet min players just to fill out a roster). On top of all of that, the ball movement has been the best since Smith was drafted, very unselfish.

With or without Joe though, every off-season PSD undervalues the Hawks (in terms of standings. Last year posters didn't even have them in the playoffs, we turned in the 3rd best record in the East I believe). There are always alot of posts that excludes them from playoff seedings (more due to the fact that they then replace them with their favorite team, who never ends up making it), so this year wasn't any different to me.

c.c.
12-09-2012, 04:45 AM
Eliminated 1st round after barely making the playoffs then losing Josh Smith to the Rockets in the Free Agency

shep33
12-09-2012, 04:46 AM
They're solid. Smith has been playing a lot better lately.

Guppyfighter
12-09-2012, 04:47 AM
I don't know why a lot of people had them missing the playoffs? I had them penciled in as the sixth seed during preseason. And if you look at the East, it's worse than we all thought. After the top nine teams, it's a train wreck. A horrifying train wreck.

You see the top eight teams in the East right now? Those are all the playoff teams.

HowFit
12-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Atlanta needs to do everything they can to trade Smith for Pau.... Pau and Horford would be such a sick front court.

Why would they do that? Trade a young, healthy fella for an old, injured prone one?

ldawg
12-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Atlanta has been a good team for decades but could never make the next step and the fan in Atl dont support them. Like right now they can play with the best of them but they are just a warm up team. After a little success Hawks will make a huge mistake andl over pay Josh Smith. They should not he is not a franchise player. He will be like JJ all over again. The last thing they need is another bad contract they just got rid of. IMO they should trade for the ending contract of Pau and team him up with Al and make a real push for the title. Similar to what Miami did when they traded for Shaq.

ldawg
12-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Sometimes you need to let go of that young player that is good but not great. Pau can help Hawks come out the East now. Or they should make a run for Derrick williams if they are looking long term a cheaper player to Josh Smith. But the way the Hawk sell tickets it would be stupid to over spend for Josh.

Heediot
12-09-2012, 08:00 AM
4-6 seed.

Iron24th
12-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Hawks are boring

ldawg
12-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Petrovic, Derrick williams, and a 2nd round pick for Josh.

waveycrockett
12-09-2012, 09:48 AM
DoMeFavors is looking like a genius right now lololol....not many predicted this!