PDA

View Full Version : Kobe still believes 2013-2014 season will be his last!

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-08-2012, 06:27 PM
http://basketball.******.com/wiretap/223882/Kobe_Continues_To_Expect_13_14_To_Be_Final_Season

Kobe Bryant continues to believe that the 13-14 NBA season will be his last.

Bryant is signed with the Lakers through that season, which will be his 18th in the NBA.

"It's just that three more years seems like a really long time to continue to stay at a high, high level of training and preparation and health," Bryant said. "That's a lot of years. For a guard? That's a lot of years."

Bryant played 39 minutes per game last season after having an offseason procedure on his knee in Germany.

"It's not about health necessarily," he said. "It's about 'Do I want to do it? Do I have that hunger to continue to prepare at a high level?' "

Read more: http://basketball.******.com/wiretap/223882/Kobe_Continues_To_Expect_13_14_To_Be_Final_Season# ixzz28kVrRkUK

Spurred1
10-08-2012, 06:29 PM
I would think that despite his hunger, the body will win out. Brandon Roy had the hunger, but his knees decided something else.
His knees are going to make the decision for him, I think. If he's hobbling up and down the court, he'll know that he's not helping himself or the team. His mind and heart can't make up for that.

Cal827
10-08-2012, 06:31 PM
I'll have to see it to believe it. I see him as someone who's heart would make the decision to last a season or 2 after that.

Andrew32
10-08-2012, 06:32 PM
This would make me very sad. :(
I hope Kobe continues to play after the 2014 season.

P Harvy
10-08-2012, 06:33 PM
I sure hope so.

Hawkeye15
10-08-2012, 06:43 PM
I will have to see it to believe it. Kobe's desire and work ethic are what make him so special imho. Guys like him, the fire never dies. But, we will see I suppose.

dodie53
10-08-2012, 06:47 PM
he'll play.
he's that competitive

meloman1592
10-08-2012, 06:47 PM
As much as i DONT like Kobe, I just can't see basketball without him

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-08-2012, 06:49 PM
This would make me very sad. :(
I hope Kobe continues to play after the 2014 season.

Just so that you, Chronz and everyone else has more years and more time to make threads on how much of a chucker Kobe is and how horrible his TS%, Win Shares and PER are? :)

DoMeFavors
10-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah the lakers are a great franchise with great managment but if Lakers dont win a title the next 2 years probably Artest, Kobe,Gasol, Jamison, Nash will be gone. What players will Lakers get for Howard?

Dwight will be a Net where he ACTUALLY wanted to go once Joe, Brook,Geralds contracts run up in 4 years. Then those guys will resign with Nets.

Zefflin
10-08-2012, 06:54 PM
He's just hyping you *****es up.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Yeah the lakers are a great franchise with great managment but if Lakers dont win a title the next 2 years probably Artest, Kobe,Gasol, Jamison, Nash will be gone. What players will Lakers get for Howard?

Dwight will be a Net where he ACTUALLY wanted to go once Joe, Brook,Geralds contracts run up in 4 years. Then those guys will resign with Nets.

:rimshot:

naps
10-08-2012, 07:15 PM
He's just hyping you *****es up.

This.
I don't believe it for a second.

Hawkeye15
10-08-2012, 07:15 PM

Let me see. If I had to choose who had the better front office going forward, and which team would be more successful over the next 10 years.........

Lakers. 10/10 times. I will take the front office with proven pedigree over the market that continually throws hundreds of millions of dollars around hoping something sticks...

Jesse2272
10-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Let me see. If I had to choose who had the better front office going forward, and which team would be more successful over the next 10 years.........

Lakers. 10/10 times. I will take the front office with proven pedigree over the market that continually throws hundreds of millions of dollars around hoping something sticks...

Your just a Nets hater bro:D

Lakers + Giants
10-08-2012, 07:22 PM
I believe kobe. Hopefully he gets at least 1 more ring.

Andrew32
10-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I believe kobe. Hopefully he gets at least 1 more ring.

That would mean beating Lebron.

Greedy22
10-08-2012, 07:30 PM

:laugh:

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-08-2012, 07:32 PM

And?

Lakers + Giants

No, it would mean beating the heat.

DoMeFavors
Your just a Nets hater bro:D

He is, he has made it known for some time that he doesnt like Nets, Knicks and other confident fans. If you are on PSD and you are confident he starts to hate your team.

BKLYNpigeon
10-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I could see him signing a 1-2 year contract after that with LA.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-08-2012, 07:38 PM
I could see him signing a 1-2 year contract after that with LA.

Not too sure, I think Lakers brass would rather get that next young superstar in the summer of 2014 (Kobe, Pau and Metta off the books) or even 2015 (when Nash is off the books) to pair up with Dwight for the next 5-7 yrs. Kobe and Pau may be on the outside looking in depending on how these next 2 yrs go, and as a result, Pau is still young enough where he can go to another team and help them and still get paid 12+M and help that team while Kobe would just retire.

John Walls Era
10-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Can't see him retiring before he has the most points in nba history.

Lakers + Giants
10-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Can't see him retiring before he has the most points in nba history.

he's not gonna finish 1st. he's gonna finish 3rd.

Jesse2272
10-08-2012, 07:41 PM
He is, he has made it known for some time that he doesnt like Nets, Knicks and other confident fans. If you are on PSD and you are confident he starts to hate your team.

I was joking

Im thinking more along the lines that he just shuts down irrational posts from over the top fan boys/girls

Lakeshow24KB
10-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Never speak again.

Andrew32
10-08-2012, 07:44 PM
And?

Do you really think Lebron would allow that? ;)
It'd be like losing to your grandpa.

His career would be ruined.

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 09:50 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/20512645/future-of-lakers-is-now-for-kobe-as-16year-veteran-mulls-retirement

aking with CBSSports.com in a quiet moment after practice, Bryant conceded that, in all likelihood, the finish line and the conclusion of his current contract will be one in the same. Bryant has two years left, and though he was careful to point out, "One can never be too sure," he made it clear in the next breath it's almost unfathomable he would play beyond 2013-14, which would be his 18th season.

"It's just that three more years seems like a really long time to continue to stay at a high, high level of training and preparation and health," Bryant said. "That's a lot of years. For a guard? That's a lot of years."

Even after visiting the fountain of youth in the form of a knee procedure in Germany that allowed him to average nearly 39 minutes per game last season, Bryant senses that the end is near -- and not only for his knees, wrist, ankles or other body parts, but also for his incomparably competitive mind. The window, he is ready to acknowledge, is two years. Two more chances to catch Jordan.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-08-2012, 09:52 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=768173

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks. Lock it up.

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Not the biggest Kobe supporter, but I will be sad as well when he hangs em up. You can't ask for more of a guy who gave his all to the sport.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Do you really think Lebron would allow that? ;)
It'd be like losing to your grandpa.

His career would be ruined.

LeBron allowed a French guy and a German guy to beat him in his 2 Finals losses and let them get MVPs.

I thought Euro players from overseas were supposed to be soft. :rolleyes:

teamLAKERS24
10-08-2012, 10:01 PM

get over it man... :facepalm:

Bruno
10-08-2012, 10:08 PM
i just heard him say he'd consider a third year. although i hope he's smart enough to go out on top if he has the opportunity. media and legacy loves a good ending.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I can see it. I doubt anyone is going to give him the contract he'd want to continue playing. And it's not like he has any incentive to take a smaller contract to win when he's achieved so much already.

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 10:27 PM
i just heard him say he'd consider a third year. although i hope he's smart enough to go out on top if he has the opportunity. media and legacy loves a good ending.

You think he will stay 3 more years?

MintBerryCrunch
10-08-2012, 10:30 PM
The Lakers will not be the same for years after Kobe's gone, I can guarantee that. Not
Talking about talent wise, it will just be weird w/o Kobe.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-08-2012, 10:31 PM
I think Kobe needs to retire so Andrew32, Chronz, naps, el hidalgo and everyone else can have a good night's sleep. Obviously neither of those guys haven't had a goodnite's sleep for the last 16 yrs (or less, if any of them are even above the age of 16).

RaiderLakersA's
10-08-2012, 11:37 PM
The Lakers will not be the same for years after Kobe's gone, I can guarantee that. Not
Talking about talent wise, it will just be weird w/o Kobe.

I still remember how it felt when Magic had to retire. The only thing greater than the shock was the emptiness and uncertainty.

At least with Kobe I'll be braced for it. I honestly believe that he will retire after his contract is up. I have a 1996 bottle of Roederer that I'll open up. I'm not a drinking man, but I'll be a drinking man that day. Cheers to one of the greatest players, let alone Lakers player, to ever play the game.

jam
10-08-2012, 11:43 PM
I really enjoyed watching Kobe and Shaq play together, even though I usually rooted against them (except when they played the superbly dull Spurs in the playoffs).

But I felt like both Kobe and the Lakers lost their way once they dumped Shaq. Kobe became an imperious chucker, wanting to do it on his own, and alienating most everyone in the process.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-08-2012, 11:48 PM
I really enjoyed watching Kobe and Shaq play together, even though I usually rooted against them (except when they played the superbly dull Spurs in the playoffs).

But I felt like both Kobe and the Lakers lost their way once they dumped Shaq. Kobe became an imperious chucker, wanting to do it on his own, and alienating most everyone in the process.

And then he grew up, started trusting teammates, got Pau, and went to 3 straight finals and 2 straight titles.

If anything, I would have to say just the ups and downs of his career and whole personal saga and the evolution of a player and a person, Kobe Bryant has one of the most storied chronicled and interesting career of any basketball athlete to have ever existed.

jerellh528
10-08-2012, 11:53 PM
I still remember how it felt when Magic had to retire. The only thing greater than the shock was the emptiness and uncertainty.

At least with Kobe I'll be braced for it. I honestly believe that he will retire after his contract is up. I have a 1996 bottle of Roederer that I'll open up. I'm not a drinking man, but I'll be a drinking man that day. Cheers to one of the greatest players, let alone Lakers player, to ever play the game.

this makes me sad :cry:

jam
10-09-2012, 12:29 AM
And then he grew up, started trusting teammates, got Pau, and went to 3 straight finals and 2 straight titles.

If anything, I would have to say just the ups and downs of his career and whole personal saga and the evolution of a player and a person, Kobe Bryant has one of the most storied chronicled and interesting career of any basketball athlete to have ever existed.

Actually, he was accused of rape (2003), an allegation which is not often taken as a sign of maturity. He subsequently apologized and paid off his alleged victim in a civil suit, bringing stress, scandal and disgrace to himself and to his employer, not to mention his family.

I really doubt that he "trusted" his teammates. Just this past season, he averaged 23 shots a game, and shot 43% despite having two of the best bigs in the game in Pau and Bynum, who are career 52% and 57% shooters.

Add to that the fact that Kobe is a career 40% shooter in the finals.

I don't see how being "interesting" is a career accomplishment or distinction.

C-Style
10-09-2012, 12:58 AM

Tears will shed

Steelers23_06
10-09-2012, 01:52 AM
i could honestly see kobe pulling a MJ and coming out. he lives for this. the grass looks greener on the other side til 3 years rolls by and your tired of playing golf and vacationing. u miss the people chanting your name you go from being a super hero to a celebrity...its not the same. especially if he goes out with 5 rings. i feel he would want that 1 last and if the option came knocking where a team/player needed him as that last piece and offered him starting quality minutes but the ability to rest in needed why not. especially too pad his stats a little. hes already all but guaranteed 3rd all time in total points why not push it to 2nd knock malon to 3rd and give himself some space for the ballers who started young like KD and LeBron who are going to be knocking at the door when they are his age.

Bruno
10-09-2012, 01:56 AM
You think he will stay 3 more years?

no. i think 2014-2015 will be it.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-09-2012, 01:57 AM
i could honestly see kobe pulling a MJ and coming out. he lives for this. the grass looks greener on the other side til 3 years rolls by and your tired of playing golf and vacationing. u miss the people chanting your name you go from being a super hero to a celebrity...its not the same. especially if he goes out with 5 rings. i feel he would want that 1 last and if the option came knocking where a team/player needed him as that last piece and offered him starting quality minutes but the ability to rest in needed why not. especially too pad his stats a little. hes already all but guaranteed 3rd all time in total points why not push it to 2nd knock malon to 3rd and give himself some space for the ballers who started young like KD and LeBron who are going to be knocking at the door when they are his age.

Damn I hope the Lakers and Heat meet up in the finals to shut your guys' trap once and for all. :pity:

Steelers23_06
10-09-2012, 02:00 AM
Damn I hope the Lakers and Heat meet up in the finals to shut your guys' trap once and for all. :pity:

lmao buddy not trying to start a ring debate its going to be a good finals if we meet up thats all im going to say til then...btw notice i said if in my last post. and on that note i feel if he did get 6 he would want number 7 that much more to separate himself from mj. so whats your point?

MetroMan
10-09-2012, 02:02 AM
I cant imagine basketball with out kobe. by than kobe and duncan will be gone. the best of the last 12 years.

im not looking forward to a lebron hugging league that will follow. hopefully they will at least call fouls that durant endures so much. he been fouled so much and never got the call. stern knows that duncan and kobe are out the door and they formed there new product this year, and that is, lebron

Steelers23_06
10-09-2012, 02:14 AM
I cant imagine basketball with out kobe. by than kobe and duncan will be gone. the best of the last 12 years.

im not looking forward to a lebron hugging league that will follow. hopefully they will at least call fouls that durant endures so much. he been fouled so much and never got the call. stern knows that duncan and kobe are out the door and they formed there new product this year, and that is, lebron

how is it a lebron hugging league? just because hes friends with certain players? im pretty sure when they play the celtics they arent going to be going clubbing together after. i think people overplay the "friendships" of these players. just because they are friends doesnt mean they dont live for this game. im pretty sure anyone in the NBA including durant, lebron, melo etc would choose a ring over a friendship. hell lebron dissed his homestate for some bling. when that tip happens your not friends until that clock strikes zero. look at shaq and chuck. fought mid game and went out to eat after because they were friends but at the heat of the moment you dont care about all that you care about getting that W. your out of your mind if you think is pissed looking at lebron posting instagram pics of him getting sized for his ring and winning it at his home court on top of it! seeing my friend get all this would make me envious and want what he had and bust my @$$ off to get it.

and i agree by then all the players i grew up with will be gone tmac, ai, kg, the truth, shaq, nash...the list goes on but man oh man this is going to be hard time for me :(. still got lebron though :D

tapajafri
10-09-2012, 02:29 AM
he'll play.
he's that competitive

It takes more than just being really competitive. He needs to think about his health, kids, family, life.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-09-2012, 02:30 AM
lmao buddy not trying to start a ring debate its going to be a good finals if we meet up thats all im going to say til then...btw notice i said if in my last post. and on that note i feel if he did get 6 he would want number 7 that much more to separate himself from mj. so whats your point?

If Lakers and Heat meet in the finals, PSD will blow up into pieces!

I honestly think it just might be highest rated finals in the NBA on ABC era (if we both make it).

tapajafri
10-09-2012, 02:31 AM

lol you just cant accept the fact that lebron is better.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-09-2012, 02:34 AM
lol you just cant accept the fact that lebron is better.

Well of course he's been better, nobody is denying that.

As far as LeBron getting the spotlight, I mean really both guys were getting the spotlight until the Decision happened, which took basically 80% of the attention off of Kobe and onto LeBron.

The Decision was that huge, it will still be the most talked about segment 20 yrs down the line, I guarantee it.

Steelers23_06
10-09-2012, 02:38 AM
If Lakers and Heat meet in the finals, PSD will blow up into pieces!

I honestly think it just might be highest rated finals in the NBA on ABC era (if we both make it).

i agree. IF this happens ratings will be through the roof! me and you will be fighting on every thread lol and we might even get too see a return of the MVPuppets as well lol. as the wise man bart scott once said "CANT WAIT!!!"

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-09-2012, 02:41 AM
i agree. IF this happens ratings will be through the roof! me and you will be fighting on every thread lol and we might even get too see a return of the MVPuppets as well lol. as the wise man bart scott once said "CANT WAIT!!!"

I'll be fighting with every Heat fan, it'll be a bloodbath for sure.

YOu guys don't realize how much I absolutely hate hate hate hate hate everything about the Heat.

We have to dispatch OKC and you guys have to dispatch a revamped Celtics squad in order for this to happen.

Steelers23_06
10-09-2012, 02:51 AM
Well of course he's been better, nobody is denying that.

As far as LeBron getting the spotlight, I mean really both guys were getting the spotlight until the Decision happened, which took basically 80% of the attention off of Kobe and onto LeBron.

The Decision was that huge, it will still be the most talked about segment 20 yrs down the line, I guarantee it.

we will remember that moment forever! honestly prob the biggest sports interview of all time. i can only think of one bigger moment in sports honestly and that was those two words spoken on that podium in CHI and that was "I'm Back" by none other then MJ. and if he does indeed go down as the greatest player in the NBA that will go down as the most monumental move in history. that interview could possibly have been the opening chapter of a dynasty. never in the history of sports could you see the power and shine instantly switch to one team. i honestly think it was great for the NBA at first it looked like it could be horrible from the outside looking in but i think it made the NBA better, made front offices have to step up their game and players training that much harder because they know they have a team in south beach that is ready for anything. no longer could you have your star playing his butt off with 4 bums standing around him and make the playoffs. in a sense that interview revolutionized the NBA and shifted it from that "the man" taste in our mouths that MJ left (although he did have a GREAT team imo) to a more team approach making the games a lot more interesting then a glorified one-on-one match up that we had before. making the fan have to key in on what their teams strengths and weaknesses are instead of being like ____ is amazing and his teammates suck. u have to be like this guy dosnt box out, or this guy is setting perfect screens which makes him valuable. a lot of us always valued that because we love sports why do you think we talk about it in our off time to complete strangers? but to the average fan i dont think they understood that as much until the teams stepped up their game to match the decision.

Steelers23_06
10-09-2012, 02:57 AM
I'll be fighting with every Heat fan, it'll be a bloodbath for sure.

YOu guys don't realize how much I absolutely hate hate hate hate hate everything about the Heat.

We have to dispatch OKC and you guys have to dispatch a revamped Celtics squad in order for this to happen.

yea wont be easy by any means a lot of teams improved. and yea a lot of fingers will be blistered by the end of that series and prob for months after haha. and na i dont hate the Lakers i cant, used to but then i figured out i was just being a hater lol. KOBE IS A BEAST! lol hands down monster. i dont like the way dwight handles the media. its godawful. he got money he needs to hire someone off obamas pr team or something lol. some of things he says makes him come off as a complete douche but when it come to defensive low post thats your man. i have always respected nash as a person. and they all ball their butt off and i love ball...so i cant hate something i love. and i honestly dont care if they or any other team for that matter wins or loses unless their playing MIA!

RaiderLakersA's
10-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Tears will shed

Nah, no reason for tears. It will be a celebration.

Remember when Kareem retired? Every city the Lakers visited during Kareem's last and final season showered him with gifts and well-wishes.

I doubt Kobe's departure will rise to that same level, but fans everywhere -- yes, even the ones that hate him -- will applaud respectfully and resoundingly when he leaves their floor for the last time.

Whether people loved him or hated him, when he walks away it will be bittersweet and the NBA won't be the same.

xcrisisx
10-10-2012, 05:47 AM
i could honestly see kobe pulling a MJ and coming out.

and win another 3-peat? play for the wolves cause they promised him the gm job?

Chavacano
10-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Tears will shed

Nah, no reason for tears. It will be a celebration.

Remember when Kareem retired? Every city the Lakers visited during Kareem's last and final season showered him with gifts and well-wishes.

I doubt Kobe's departure will rise to that same level, but fans everywhere -- yes, even the ones that hate him -- will applaud respectfully and resoundingly when he leaves their floor for the last time.

Whether people loved him or hated him, when he walks away it will be bittersweet and the NBA won't be the same.

^^ Tears of joy then? :p

dh144498
10-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Actually, he was accused of rape (2003), an allegation which is not often taken as a sign of maturity. He subsequently apologized and paid off his alleged victim in a civil suit, bringing stress, scandal and disgrace to himself and to his employer, not to mention his family.

I really doubt that he "trusted" his teammates. Just this past season, he averaged 23 shots a game, and shot 43% despite having two of the best bigs in the game in Pau and Bynum, who are career 52% and 57% shooters.

Add to that the fact that Kobe is a career 40% shooter in the finals.

I don't see how being "interesting" is a career accomplishment or distinction.

How old are you? The rape case was dropped and he was never found guilty. 10 years later you kids are still talking about it like it really happened. It was also clearly stated that no money was paid off to that woman. He cheated on his wife, big deal. MJ cheated as well and got his dad killed from his gambling debts and no one talks about that. But kids like you are here talking about it everyday like Kobe is the only one doing it. Grow up.