PDA

View Full Version : Would Yao had lasted longer in the NBA had he played in the Eastern Conference?

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Would Yao had lasted longer in the NBA had he played in the Eastern Conference?

And that is mainly because it is more of a grind it out game, half court teams.

JordansBulls
10-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Also the freaking Olympics ruined Yao as well.

Gibby23
10-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Also the freaking Olympics ruined Yao as well.

Make a thread and ask if Yao would have lasted longer had he played in the Special Olympics.

Max.This
10-09-2012, 01:04 PM
He played w/ heart. He didn't flop like most people did when Shaq took it to them in the paint. Well, atleast thats what shaq said about Yao. He would've gone out no matter what conference he was in because thats just how he plays

Raps18-19 Champ
10-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Maybe.

The West was flooded with star big men more than the East. Then again, if he went to the East, he would've had to face against Dwight and Shaq 4 times a year.

N3TS
10-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't think so, especially like the OP metioned his activity in the Olympics and other international games had their part on the wear and tear of Yao's body.

jam
10-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Yao has 500 grams of hardware in his left foot and ankle. He's suffered serious injuries ever since he was a teen.

The grind of pro ball, combined with playing for the national team every summer, on top of old injuries that were never allowed to heal and new injuries stacked on top of old injuries, and well, you get the picture....

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/sports/2011-07/17/c_13990885.htm

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-09-2012, 02:58 PM
At the end of the day, no matter where you play, you are the player that you are. If you're made of glass, it doesn't matter what division, conference etc. you play in. That's my feeling.

Hawkeye15
10-09-2012, 02:59 PM
China was his undoing. Forcing a 320 pound man to play basketball for 12 months a year, year after year, will eventually cause a physical breakdown.

naps
10-09-2012, 03:06 PM
at the end of the day, no matter where you play, you are the player that you are. If you're made of glass, it doesn't matter what division, conference etc. You play in. That's my feeling.

this.

b@llhog24
10-09-2012, 03:17 PM
China was his undoing. Forcing a 320 pound man to play basketball for 12 months a year, year after year, will eventually cause a physical breakdown.
This.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-09-2012, 04:11 PM
? wtf

do you guys not realize the deal the rockets had with the chinese basketball association?

the deal was after the nba season, yao ming had to return to china either to participate in goodwill trip, or participate for the country.

he had absolutely no time to rest or recover during the offseason. hence, why he never really broadened his game and eventually he broke his foot.

it is what it is.. for the rockets to have permission to bring yao to the states, those were the requirements.

jam
10-09-2012, 04:15 PM
At the end of the day, no matter where you play, you are the player that you are. If you're made of glass, it doesn't matter what division, conference etc. you play in. That's my feeling.

Incorrect assumption about Yao. Yao's injuries were never allowed to fully heal in his teens playing professionally, setting up a never ending chain of injuries for a player who never had any downtime.

jam
10-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Correct. Yao was never allowed to fully recover even before playing in the nba.

? wtf

do you guys not realize the deal the rockets had with the chinese basketball association?

the deal was after the nba season, yao ming had to return to china either to participate in goodwill trip, or participate for the country.

he had absolutely no time to rest or recover during the offseason. hence, why he never really broadened his game and eventually he broke his foot.

it is what it is.. for the rockets to have permission to bring yao to the states, those were the requirements.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Incorrect assumption about Yao. Yao's injuries were never allowed to fully heal in his teens playing professionally, setting up a never ending chain of injuries for a player who never had any downtime.

its a shame really, cos yao could have easily been the top center in the nba currently if he had a proper nba career.

poor guy. his career fizzled due to politics.

thanks china!

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-09-2012, 04:22 PM

I was referring to the conference question, not necessarily what happened pre-NBA. Whatever play Yao was entering the NBA, that was the player you were going to get regardless.

The whole Pre-NBA thing about Yao should be viewed as a different topic.

jam
10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
I was referring to the conference question, not necessarily what happened pre-NBA. Whatever play Yao was entering the NBA, that was the player you were going to get regardless.

The whole Pre-NBA thing about Yao should be viewed as a different topic.

It's not really possible to separate out Yao's injuries while in the nba with his injuries prior. He was not allowed to heal fully from early ankle injuries, setting the stage for an inevitable cycle of injuries in the future. The lack of recovery time as well as his size were huge factors as well, no pun intended.

Many big guys have problems with their wheels; Shaq however played nearly 20 seasons, despite weighing nearly 400 lbs towards the end of his laker tenure because he was astute and/or lazy enough to insist on adequate maybe even more than adequate recovery time.

Il Mago50
10-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Yao got his career shortened purely because of the Chinese government and whoever else handled his contracts with them. The man, at 7'6 300+ lbs was made via contractual agreement to play every summer for China...think about that...he'd basically be in full season mode for 9-10 months of the year with very little time to recuperate.

Chronz
10-09-2012, 07:12 PM
I think grind out games are more grueling, hence the term grind it out, but thats just me.

JordansBulls
10-21-2012, 06:50 PM
I think grind out games are more grueling, hence the term grind it out, but thats just me.

Yes it is overall but for a guy like Yao those are the games he does better in.

kobe4thewinbang
10-21-2012, 09:33 PM
His body was just too large and too tall for NBA caliber basketball.

JordansBulls
10-26-2012, 12:51 AM
His body was just too large and too tall for NBA caliber basketball.

What about Shaq? He was huge as well and weighed more as well.

John Walls Era
10-26-2012, 01:16 AM

They created him. He is forever indebt to them or is at least owned by them.

Korman12
10-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Yeah, like the others said, it had nothing to do with where he played in the states, it was the stipulations China had, plus his obscene size.

king4day
10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Yao was fragile. He was going to be a broken player no matter who he played for.

superkegger
10-26-2012, 01:55 PM
What about Shaq? He was huge as well and weighed more as well.

Yao was six inches taller still.

Yao had foot problems that never seemed to go away. Pace of the game wouldn't have mattered, his foot problems wouldn't go away because of the conference.

TheLegend
10-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Yup, his career would've lasted longer had he played in the East. In the East, Yao would've ran up and down the court not as hard. :facepalm:

sep11ie
10-26-2012, 03:06 PM
China makes a reliable clock radio, but basketball players...not so much.

Supa
10-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Yao would had last longer if China didn't over used him so much for "National Pride".

---