PDA

View Full Version : What is Stern talking about?

NYSpirit1
10-08-2012, 02:59 PM
MILAN - For all that the NBA is known for, league commissioner David Stern generally gets the credit as well as the criticism.

But if the league begins to allow advertising on jerseys, it won't be because of any lobbying efforts on Stern's part.

"It's something that's being discussed by the NBA Board of Governors," said Stern who was in attendance at Boston's 105-75 win over EA7 Emporio Armani. "This is the one forum that understands that advertising on team jerseys has gone on for decades, both in football and in basketball, virtually every other sport."

And while he recognizes the upside of such a decision - increased revenue - Stern likes the league's jerseys as they are now.

"As a personal matter, I am not in favor of it, but I'm not standing in the way of it," Stern said. "If my board wants to do it, we'll do it."

It is clear that Stern's opposition to having ads on jerseys has more to do with tradition than anything else.

"Of all the leagues in the world, the NBA is the only one that has its own logo on it," Stern said. "No information of the manufacturer and no sponsor, and that is something that I have worked hard to preserve for many decades. But I understand that the team may have to come to consider it. So we're going to let the Board of Governors decide what to do."

Here are a couple other topics discussed by Stern:

Stern on having an NBA team In Europe: "I don't think having a single team in Europe is practical. I never have. What I've said is if we're going to have an NBA presence here in terms of the league, it should be five teams. I'm safe to say that there aren't enough buildings, there aren't adequate TV arrangements, we don't have owners, and I'm not sure we could charge the prices that would be necessary. I don't think our fans are that avid yet.

Stern on the league's new "anti-flopping" rule: "Since I happen to think basketball players are the greatest athletes in the world, I think they should play basketball rather than act. I think we will eventually find a way to remove flopping from our game."

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Stern-not-standing-in-way-of-jersey-adve?blockID=785633&feedID=3352

The MLB, NFL and NHL do not have advertising on their jerseys. None of the major American sports leagues do, sans MLS. I don't know why Stern said they do. It's just European soccer that have it on their jerseys. This would be incredibly dumb to adopt and would ruin the tradition of our league.

JasonJohnHorn
10-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Not a fan of ads on jerseys, but I'll still watch if they are there. I thought they had already agreed on it though that they woudl have small add for the 13/14 season?

As for a 'team' in Europe... I don't think that is practical either, BUT a sister league would be great, but the best way to go about it would be to recruit the already existing teams/leagues to merge into one, and include the middle easrtern and chinese leagues, and have them run a parallel season so that the champs from Europe could play the champs from the US.

A team in Mexico would be cool though.

superkegger
10-08-2012, 03:16 PM
The MLB, NFL and NHL do not have advertising on their jerseys. None of the major American sports leagues do, sans MLS. I don't know why Stern said they do. It's just European soccer that have it on their jerseys. This would be incredibly dumb to adopt and would ruin the tradition of our league.

The NFL and MLB have the logo of the company that makes their jeresys on the jersey. Nike or Adidas. The only logo on NBA jerseys is the NBA Logo and the team name. Around the world, almost all jerseys have advertisements on them. It's going to happen, get accustomed to the idea.

IndyRealist
10-08-2012, 03:25 PM
NFL jerseys have a Nike logo on the front, bottom left. along with a few others I can't make out.

topdog
10-08-2012, 03:25 PM
"Of all the leagues in the world, the NBA is the only one that has its own logo on it," Stern said. "No information of the manufacturer and no sponsor, and that is something that I have worked hard to preserve for many decades. But I understand that the team may have to come to consider it. So we're going to let the Board of Governors decide what to do."

You have to read Stern's words carefully. First, "all the leagues of the world" likely refers to basketball leagues. Second, Stern also mentions manufacturer i.e. I believe MLB jerseys have a Majestic patch on them.

As for ads, I don't like them and I'm surprised that Stern feels the same way.

jericho
10-08-2012, 03:35 PM
other companies would pay the teams for them to wear their logos on the shirts so its reallybound to happen they would make money out of that

Hellcrooner
10-08-2012, 03:44 PM
i dont like ads on jerseys, but it is what is it EVERY team of EVERY sport here in europe has ads, and its not only the pros, th elower ranks also have ads, i used to feel ashamed when i played , one year we had a Milk brand ad, the next year a Fertilizer product, then one year we had a restaurants name across the chest.

The thing is, some teams are having trouble, finantial trouble in the league, well go figure, being able to choose wich brand ( that would pay them) does make their jerseys, and add their logo + comertial brands paying the teams for sporting their name on the chest woudl indeed make those teams profitable, hence never again needing to Move the franchise somwhere else or to dissapear.

Its sad, but its unavoidable, jerseys will have ads sooner than later, and once nba does it first and works, hockecy will be next, and once they see it works, nfl and Mlb will do it too.

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 05:40 PM
The NFL and MLB have the logo of the company that makes their jeresys on the jersey. Nike or Adidas. The only logo on NBA jerseys is the NBA Logo and the team name. Around the world, almost all jerseys have advertisements on them. It's going to happen, get accustomed to the idea.

:clap: