PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams says Cuban not showing up to meeting was big reason he stayed with BKN

elonepb
10-08-2012, 02:32 PM
When D-Will met with Mavs over the summer, he wanted to ask some questions of Mark Cuban, who was absent because he was in Cali doing something for his TV show, "Shark Tank." D-Will met with coach Rick Carlisle and GM Donnie Nelson, but Cuban's absence ultimately hurt Mavs chances of signing Williams. "Of course," Williams said. "My top four when I was coming out of high Illinois, Georgia Tech, Tennessee and Maryland. Maryland told me they wanted me to come on a visit but Gary Williams wouldnít be there. So I told them, itís okay. Iíd rather not go. So that was that. Itís similar. ...."I think he would have been able a lot of the questions me and my agent have for him that really didnít get answered that day pertaining to the future. And I think if he was there he would have been able to answer those questions a little bit better. It maybe would have helped me."

http://sulia.com/channel/brooklyn-nets/f/1bb83462-a8f0-404f-8e86-0ae38b7bb724/

ewmania
10-08-2012, 02:33 PM
lol

Aleksandar
10-08-2012, 02:42 PM
God, the more I hear about Mark Cuban, more I dislike him..

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 02:43 PM
So Cuban blew it. Which is dumb when you are trying to get a star player.

netsgiantsyanks
10-08-2012, 02:44 PM
genius.

seikou8
10-08-2012, 02:50 PM
wow cuban but dallas is better without right:rolleyes:

C-Style
10-08-2012, 02:52 PM
That sucks. When u have the opportunity to sign a player u can build ur future around u need to set anything aside and show up.

elonepb
10-08-2012, 03:00 PM
That sucks. When u have the opportunity to sign a player u can build ur future around u need to set anything aside and show up.

Except when you have the opportunity to record an episode of Shark Tank!! You definitely pass up signing a superstar for your team when you can film a TV show barely anyone watches.

superior
10-08-2012, 03:00 PM
why is evrybody hatin on cuban??? its deron williams whos acting like a wittle baby, im mad because he didnt come talk to meeee waaaaahhhhhhhhh damn fruitcake....players are way too emotional these days

Lake_Show2416
10-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Shark Tank is way more important, than signing the next best thing to CP3, good job Cuban for wasting away the last years of ur aging superstar

wut I don't get is letting Tyson Chandler go to open up the opportunity to sign D.Will &/or Dwight in a domino effect & u don't even show up to the meeting, obviously a player will take note of that especially since Cuban is normally apart of every aspect of the team

Rockice_8
10-08-2012, 03:08 PM
why is evrybody hatin on cuban??? its deron williams whos acting like a wittle baby, im mad because he didnt come talk to meeee waaaaahhhhhhhhh damn fruitcake....players are way too emotional these days

Not really what I got out of that quote at all. Sounds like he wanted to know the direction of the team in the future. I guess he also wanted to be courted a bit by Cuban to make him feel wanted.

I guess if I was the top FA on the market and the guy who all summer talked about how much he wanted me the least he could do was show up to the meeting.

Even if D-Will wanted DAL Cuban would have probably shot him down anyway since he likes his new team better . . . :bs:

LongIslandIcedZ
10-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I like Shark Tank

StarvingKnick22
10-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Maybe something more important came up.

StarvingKnick22
10-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Maybe something more important came up.

This.

whitemamba33
10-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Cuban probably knew what everyone else did including Williams - he was never leaving BKN. Cuban has always stood by his players and is one of the most dedicated owners I know, so I have no reason to believe that if there was a legit chance of getting Williams he wouldn't have found a way to make it work.

Personally, this "I want to be pampered like a princess" attitude of these players is starting to make me sick. I didn't like the way he left Utah, I didn't like his attitude last season, and I didn't like his approach to free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if Cuban felt the same.

Ebbs
10-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Little dissapointed hearing this. And I never second guess the Cubes

UPRock
10-08-2012, 03:21 PM
WTF is Shark Tank?

Ill21
10-08-2012, 03:21 PM
This.

Why did you quote your self?

b_russ
10-08-2012, 03:24 PM
I think you guys are downplaying how big of a deal Shark Tank is. No, actually you're not. Way to go Cuban.

MU and UW Fan
10-08-2012, 03:27 PM

So because he wanted to meet with the head boss who writes the players checks and have a face to face conversation, getting all of his questions answered, he's acting like a baby? Sounds like Deron is a mature man to me.

whitemamba33
10-08-2012, 03:28 PM
I think you guys are downplaying how big of a deal Shark Tank is. No, actually you're not. Way to go Cuban.

It's basically a show where people come TO him and pitch him investment opportunities instead of him having to chase them across the world. I'm sure he'll make a few hundred million without breaking a sweat...so it's hard to "downplay" that if you are Mark Cuban.

king4day
10-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Title is misleading. He said, "And I think if he was there he would have been able to answer those questions a little bit better. It maybe would have helped me."

That doesn't mean it was a big reason why he didn't stay. Just indicates it was a contributing factor.

Cromedome
10-08-2012, 03:49 PM
There's no business like show business!

WarriorNation
10-08-2012, 03:52 PM
WTF is Shark Tank?

It's a tv show on ABC that "features a panel of entrepreneurs and business executives called "Sharks" who consider offers from other entrepreneurs seeking investments for their business or product."

Cuban is one of the "sharks" on the panel

It's a great show, those of you who never heard of it should check it out. If you're into business or law you can appreciate it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_Tank_(TV_series)

mballa22191
10-08-2012, 03:55 PM
There's no business like show business!

and there's no business like hoe business

allvalleychamp
10-08-2012, 03:55 PM
So because he wanted to meet with the head boss who writes the players checks and have a face to face conversation, getting all of his questions answered, he's acting like a baby? Sounds like Deron is a mature man to me.

If it was that important to him he could have worked with Cuban and found a time that worked for both of them, perhaps recheduled his Mavs meeting. It's not hard as professionals to make a meeting happen.

MetroMan
10-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Cuban not on his game no more. He ruins a championship team than ruins a chance to sign d-will

elonepb
10-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Video of it is here: http://www.nba.com/nets/video/2012/10/08/1290038MOV-2241785

Makes the comparison to his college recruiting.

elonepb
10-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Cuban not on his game no more. He ruins a championship team than ruins a chance to sign d-will

Plus, he ruined his championship team for a SHOT at D-Will, and then didn't even show up. Maybe he thought Deron was staying in Brooklyn, but don't you at least give it a SHOT?

I mean even the Clippers met with Lebron.

tr3ymill3r
10-08-2012, 04:07 PM
WTF is Shark Tank? I think that says enough as it is.

Lakerhead4ever
10-08-2012, 04:35 PM
It's a tv show on ABC that "features a panel of entrepreneurs and business executives called "Sharks" who consider offers from other entrepreneurs seeking investments for their business or product."

It's a great show, those of you who never heard of it should check it out. If you're into business or law you can appreciate it

i thought it was a show about sharks

GiantsSwaGG
10-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Cuban is a dumbass

tbone2171
10-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Shark Tank rules!

D.O.N.
10-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Thank You Mr. Cuban.

You're now My 2nd fav owner :)

Let's go Brooklyn!!

Spurred1
10-08-2012, 05:01 PM
I think Deron honestly had no intention of going to Dallas. The Mavs had essentially gutted the team in the hopes of getting him or some other star to play alongside Dirk-but Dirk is closer to the end of his years and there wasn't another guy for Deron to rely on in case Dirk got injured. He'd already tried to carry the Nets as the only star and it didn't work. The Nets were able to get Johnson (overrated, but can score and is considered a star) who is younger, retain Wallace(although injury prone, is excellent when healthy) and they could promise more money to Deron(reports that the Mavs offered the max seem to vary depending on the source.)
The location, money, endorsements, and potential of getting the Nets somewhere in the post season probably had settled the decision for Deron before he ever met with the Mavs. His wife likely also played a huge part in his decision.
That said, Cuban's tendency to stick in nose in every factor of the Mavs' business and not follow this through is uncharacteristic of him.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Mark Cu-llullz

BigBlueCrew
10-08-2012, 05:10 PM

this x 1000000

who ****ing cares if Cuban didnt meet with him personally. DWill is just making a media play trying to pull the good guy/bad guy ploy.

SINCESTARBURY25
10-08-2012, 05:18 PM
He would have stayed in BK reguardless

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-08-2012, 05:21 PM
He would have stayed in BK reguardless

How do you know that?

TyrionLannister
10-08-2012, 05:23 PM
I love Shark Tank. :shrug:

But yeah, it's funny that he let Chandler walk to create cap space to grab a player like Williams, only to miss the pitch because of a contractual obligation to a reality-TV show.

Sucks for the Mavs fans.

elonepb
10-08-2012, 05:24 PM
this x 1000000

who ****ing cares if Cuban didnt meet with him personally. DWill is just making a media play trying to pull the good guy/bad guy ploy.

If you watch the video, he very clearly wants to meet with the top people to get an understanding of the system and strategy for the team.

He noted his recruiting out of HS, he had 4 teams he narrowed it down to. Maryland came out and visited, but the coach didn't. He told them no thanks.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-08-2012, 05:25 PM
I'd be fairly disappointed if I didn't get a chance to meet my boss during an important hiring like that.

jmoney85
10-08-2012, 05:25 PM
I think Deron honestly had no intention of going to Dallas. The Mavs had essentially gutted the team in the hopes of getting him or some other star to play alongside Dirk-but Dirk is closer to the end of his years and there wasn't another guy for Deron to rely on in case Dirk got injured. He'd already tried to carry the Nets as the only star and it didn't work. The Nets were able to get Johnson (overrated, but can score and is considered a star) who is younger, retain Wallace(although injury prone, is excellent when healthy) and they could promise more money to Deron(reports that the Mavs offered the max seem to vary depending on the source.)
The location, money, endorsements, and potential of getting the Nets somewhere in the post season probably had settled the decision for Deron before he ever met with the Mavs. His wife likely also played a huge part in his decision.
That said, Cuban's tendency to stick in nose in every factor of the Mavs' business and not follow this through is uncharacteristic of him.

how is JJ overrated when everybody thinks hes overrated.... doesnt that mean everybody just thinks he isnt good? lol

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I'd be fairly disappointed if I didn't get a chance to meet my boss during an important hiring like that.

Yeah tell me about it.

2_Trill
10-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Great job cubes! You blew a chance to repeat for chance to sign a big free agent then you pull a no show. Good luck explaining that one to dirk

BigBlueCrew
10-08-2012, 05:35 PM
If you watch the video, he very clearly wants to meet with the top people to get an understanding of the system and strategy for the team.

He noted his recruiting out of HS, he had 4 teams he narrowed it down to. Maryland came out and visited, but the coach didn't. He told them no thanks.

Then fire the general manager

KingPosey
10-08-2012, 05:46 PM

You guys keep saying that. But I doubt any of you are meeting the head stock holder of Google, or the President of Macy's, wherever the **** you work. You meet your direct hiring supervisor, and maybe their boss.

Spurred1
10-08-2012, 05:51 PM
In school districts, the principals do the hiring-not the ultimate bosses, the superintendents. The principals are the ones who will be involved on a day to day basis and deal with issues that arise.
In this case, the GM and perhaps the coach should have been able to answer and address any concerns Deron may have had because they are the ones who ideally handle daily matters and personnel issues.
But then again, Cuban is more involved than typical owners, and Deron probably already had his mind made up prior to meeting with the Mavs.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-08-2012, 05:53 PM
You guys keep saying that. But I doubt any of you are meeting the head stock holder of Google, or the President of Macy's, wherever the **** you work. You meet your direct hiring supervisor, and maybe their boss.

If I was being hired to be a janitor at Google, then I don't have to meet up with them.

If I was a person in demand and irreplaceable in a company, I'd expect a lot more.

WVNowitzki
10-08-2012, 07:06 PM
The way you people let the media dictate your opinion for you is very scary.

SINCESTARBURY25
10-08-2012, 07:07 PM
How do you know that?

I don't I just feel like he fits there.

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 10:24 PM
If I was being hired to be a janitor at Google, then I don't have to meet up with them.

If I was a person in demand and irreplaceable in a company, I'd expect a lot more.

:speechless:

jam
10-08-2012, 11:06 PM
DWil made the right decision. He's on a talented young squad. I've never thought very highly of D as a character guy, but you can't question the fact that Bklyn can make some noise in a very diluted EC.

USMCLaker
10-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Even though I already think that Cuban is a douche I don't know why DWill's decision would be impacted by Cuban's showing up or not. I mean really who cares he is not going to win a title with Brooklyn or the Mavs and Cuban coming to tell you otherwise is not going to make a difference.

xcrisisx
10-09-2012, 08:39 AM
I like Shark Tank

:facepalm:

thenaj17
10-09-2012, 09:28 AM

Or Dragon's Den in England, quite a few good investments have come from it so i imagine Cuban could have made a lot of money when scaled up in America. Still, are those investments worth as much as putting bums in seats to watch Deron? Maybe not.

elonepb
10-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Cuban's response: “I’m even more surprised that he didn’t say something to the effect of, ‘I am so excited about what the Nets did this summer. It wouldn’t have mattered what Cuban did.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/sports/basketball/deron-williams-chose-nets-over-mavs-partly-because-of-mark-cuban.html

DanG
10-09-2012, 09:50 AM
D-Will, Dirk, Kaman, Marion, Carter :drool:

Mr.ATLHawks
10-09-2012, 09:56 AM
I personally am not a Mavs fan but I think they dodged a bullett. Deron is good but is he a superstar. I mean sure he had few good seasons but what has he done lately. He statistics from the last few years arent very elite, and yes I know the Nets havent had much but isnt that when superstars are supposed to shine bright? Deron didnt look very good in the Olympics either playing with other great stars. I think the Mavs did well to get Mayo and Collison to balance that lineup out. I dont think D Will Carter Marion Dirk and Kaman would have been a very decent starting 5 IMO. If they can go after CP3 or Dwight this summer all will be forgotten.

basketfan4life
10-09-2012, 10:17 AM
how is JJ overrated when everybody thinks hes overrated.... doesnt that mean everybody just thinks he isnt good? lol

Man, you got me thinking :)

The goods
10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Williams was never going to leave Brooklyn, once they made that Joe Johnson deal his mind was made up.

Thegame187
10-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Was Shark tank the show Denno (aka "Big Dogg") from Curb your enthus was producing?

"You never give up a cupboard Larry"

D-Leethal
10-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Dismantle your entire championship team and 'tank' (relatively) for a season to create cap for this guy and you can't even make the meeting? This **** was over a year in the making, clear your ****ing calendar.