PDA

View Full Version : NBA Video Explaining Which Flops Will Be Penalized

MetroMan
10-05-2012, 09:47 PM
http://www.nba.com/official/

In an effort to curb the unsportsmanlike practice known as “flopping,” the NBA implemented an anti-flopping rule starting in the 2012-13 season.

A "flop" is an attempt to either fool referees into calling undeserved fouls or fool fans into thinking the referees missed a foul call by exaggerating the effect of contact with an opposing player.

The main factor in determining whether a player committed a flop is whether his physical reaction to contact with another player is inconsistent with what would have been expected given the force or direction of the contact. For example, a player will be considered to have committed a “flop" if he falls to the floor following minimal contact or lunges in a direction different from the direction of the contact.

The determination of whether a player has violated the flopping rule will be made by the League following video review of the play. (Game officials will not make determinations about flopping during games.)

The first time a player is determined to have committed a flop, he will be warned by the NBA. Thereafter, the following automatic penalties will apply:
Violation 2: $5,000 fine
Violation 3: $10,000 fine
Violation 4: $15,000 fine
Violation 5: $30,000 fine

For a sixth (or any subsequent) violation of the rule, the player will be subject to such discipline as the League determines is reasonable under the circumstances, including an increased fine and/or suspension.

Click the here to view several plays that illustrate how the rule will be administered during the season (i.e., what conduct will be considered a “flop” and what conduct will not).

^
I dont know how to post the direct link of the video. go to the url and click where it says what I bolded. The floppers consist of clipper players, memphis, and wade

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Not surprised that the very first clip example is a former Clipper, Reggie Evans. :laugh:

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 09:52 PM
D-Wade is the 3rd clip. :laugh2:

#incomeHeatfans

king4day
10-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Nice find. I love it. I can see some plays being questionable but the obvious ones are no question.

C-Style
10-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Can't see the 1st video..i have mac

MetroMan
10-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Can't see the 1st video..i have mac

i have an imac as well. did you go to the site than follow the click this link?

JNoel
10-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Over embellishment. Lol at the clippers violators.

topdog
10-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Pretty reasonable. I like it.

topdog
10-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Over embellishment. Lol at the clippers violators.

I literally laughed at Chris Paul's ridiculous airborne theatrics. He looks like a compete idiot.

heyman321
10-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Hahahha half of the "will be penalized clips" are Chris Paul and the Clippers. I hope CP360 gets his bank account destroyed this year.

king4day
10-05-2012, 10:10 PM
I am ok with players trying to appeal flops but when you watch the ones in that video that were deemed finable, how on earth will a player explained what happend?

Gallinari's flop was a bit questionable. Maybe he was faking getting hurt so bad but he was plausable.

Knowledge
10-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Love it.

MetroMan
10-05-2012, 10:29 PM
this new explanation will only make nba players more smarter at flopping

Romo2Bryant
10-05-2012, 10:32 PM
This video was basically meant for Clippers.

Dade County
10-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Hahahha half of the "will be penalized clips" are Chris Paul and the Clippers. I hope CP360 gets his bank account destroyed this year.

I love that nick name .... lmao

MrfadeawayJB
10-06-2012, 12:57 AM
seems very fair to me. Clips are in for a tough season

Supreme LA
10-06-2012, 01:04 AM
CP360, D-Wade, and Gallinari :facepalm:

DenButsu
10-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Ha, they got Gallo. He probably is the worst flopper on the Nuggets.

Ken Berger made an excellent point in his article (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/20390125/leagues-answer-to-floppers-might-run-foul-upon-further-review) on the new flopping rule:

Some will like the league's answer to flopping, and others will say it's not enough. And while I recognize the benefit of taking it out of the referees' hands, the new approach -- if adopted -- could open up a whole new can of worms in a sports environment that clearly does not tolerate officiating incompetence. Suppose LeBron James drives to the basket on the final possession of a playoff game, with the Miami Heat trailing by a point. He misses the shot, but dupes the official into calling a shooting foul by flopping. James sinks both free throws, the Heat win the game and advance to the next round. But what happens when the league fines James $25,000 the next morning for flopping on the play? What the league would be saying, essentially, is that James shouldn't have been awarded free throws and the Heat shouldn't have won. Chaos, would ensue, as it often does with these controversies -- be it a disputed Hail Mary in the end zone or a superstar call late in an NBA game.

Seems almost inevitable that this kind of conflict between a game outcome and a later flopping fine will happen. Maybe not (hopefully not) in a decisive game 7, but even so it really would be controversial.

heyman321
10-06-2012, 01:13 AM

Ken Berger made an excellent point in his article (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/20390125/leagues-answer-to-floppers-might-run-foul-upon-further-review) on the new flopping rule:

Seems almost inevitable that this kind of conflict between a game outcome and a later flopping fine will happen. Maybe not (hopefully not) in a decisive game 7, but even so it really would be controversial.

that wouldn't matter because it already happens. they often go back and say "yeah the referee was wrong", but now they just have an added post game review. people will be pissed either way. And to have a referee discern a flop or real foul in real time is too hard, unless it's extremely obvious. But even then, in actual game time everything looks real.

TRF929
10-06-2012, 01:17 AM
I wanted to see some Manu, but he must not flop that often.

I also wanted to see the flop of CP3 on the ref and the horrific Bosh flop

JNA17
10-06-2012, 01:33 AM
that wouldn't matter because it already happens. they often go back and say "yeah the referee was wrong", but now they just have an added post game review. people will be pissed either way. And to have a referee discern a flop or real foul in real time is too hard, unless it's extremely obvious. But even then, in actual game time everything looks real.

They could do two things with this.

1. Review the play after the game, and if that play was the deciding factor and it was indeed a flop, revert the result of the game.

2. Refs review crucial plays under 2 min of the game, have them also review for flops if it comes to it.

I don't see why any of these two options can't be done.

heyman321
10-06-2012, 01:55 AM

1. Review the play after the game, and if that play was the deciding factor and it was indeed a flop, revert the result of the game.

2. Refs review crucial plays under 2 min of the game, have them also review for flops if it comes to it.

They would never ever do #1 and change the outcome of the game.

But I definitely don't see why they can't do #2, if they do it for flagrants and out of bounds calls in the last 2 minutes. Some people will say "it takes momentum away from the game", but I'd rahter have that then a shoddy play.

Dade County
10-06-2012, 02:06 AM

You are completely ridicules on this one.

The league and the refs don't want to be put into this situation... Having to decide if a player flopped in a heated game... This is not going to happen.

Dade County
10-06-2012, 02:08 AM
They would never ever do #1 and change the outcome of the game.

But I definitely don't see why they can't do #2, if they do it for flagrants and out of bounds calls in the last 2 minutes. Some people will say "it takes momentum away from the game", but I'd rahter have that then a shoddy play.

Too subjective in a heated game... Home crowed can emotional influence the call.

Knowledge
10-06-2012, 02:46 AM

At least with this rule in place, after 5 offenses, you are subject to a possible suspension to go along with the fine.

It should cut down on flopping through the regular season and the playoffs, because with the amount of flopping that goes on now, getting to 4-5 violations should be easy for frequent floppers.

If someone makes it to game 7 and gets away with one, it would be unfortunate, but what can you do?

I suspect they will strengthen the penalties if they deem this not enough after this season.

JNA17
10-06-2012, 04:56 AM
Too subjective in a heated game... Home crowed can emotional influence the call.

Your just mad cuz you know Lebron and wade cant drive for the game winners anymore ;).

IndyRealist
10-06-2012, 08:03 AM
On #5 no foul was called and play continued. They are going to fine when the refs do not call a foul? That seems a bit excessive.

JordansBulls
10-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Good stuff