PDA

View Full Version : I think Braves will win the protest...

TrueYankee
10-05-2012, 08:26 PM
It was a blatant, ridiculous, fking stupid call by the ump in left field. Whoever the hell that moron is should get stampeded by bulls.

Rule 4.19 Comment: Whenever a manager protests a game because of alleged misapplication of the rules the protest will not be recognized unless the umpires are notified at the time the play under protest occurs and before the next pitch, play or attempted play. A protest arising on a game-ending play may be filed until 12 noon the following day with the league office.

I think Braves will win it. We will find out tomorrow.

Vinny642
10-05-2012, 08:28 PM
No we wont, the MLB doesn't ever do what they should.

gauth25
10-05-2012, 08:28 PM
He has to be camped under that ball for it to be an infield fly and he clearly wasn't.

RaiderKid318
10-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Soooo what would happen if we did win?

Marques24kobe
10-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Ask the Packers about getting jobbed! Sad thing is these guys are the real umps. Horrendous call!

Marques24kobe
10-05-2012, 08:36 PM
And my question is, doesn't it have to be in infield?

Marques24kobe
10-05-2012, 08:37 PM
If that's an infield fly then every ball a OF has lost in the lights or sun is too

RaiderKid318
10-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I would not be mad of the braves boycotted if this call isn't fixed.

More-Than-Most
10-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Bad call... Braves still have nobody to blame but themselves with the way they played in this game. That being said enter my rant against how the braves should never had to play this game with this ****ed up system

lol, please
10-05-2012, 08:40 PM
It was a blatant, ridiculous, fking stupid call by the ump in left field. Whoever the hell that moron is should get stampeded by bulls.

Rule 4.19 Comment: Whenever a manager protests a game because of alleged misapplication of the rules the protest will not be recognized unless the umpires are notified at the time the play under protest occurs and before the next pitch, play or attempted play. A protest arising on a game-ending play may be filed until 12 noon the following day with the league office.

I think Braves will win it. We will find out tomorrow.Braves win the appeal ams beat the cards in the replay. Its been written in stone that they lose later in the postseason to the Giants!

mark1125
10-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Bad call... Braves still have nobody to blame but themselves with the way they played in this game. That being said enter my rant against how the braves should never had to play this game with this ****ed up system

Ths, but Braves fans will cling to the umps as the only reason they lost.

Vinny642
10-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Ths, but Braves fans will cling to the umps as the only reason they lost.

Nope you are just ignorant, and just talk to talk, because you don't like the Braves. That call was HORRIBLE, point blank period, did it dampen our chances to rally, hell yeah, it stopped us from making a comeback, our defense didn't put us in a good spot either though.

mark1125
10-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Nope you are just ignorant, and just talk to talk, because you don't like the Braves. That call was HORRIBLE, point blank period, did it dampen our chances to rally, hell yeah, it stopped us from making a comeback, our defense didn't put us in a good spot either though.

Actually, I am indifferent towards the Braves. The fans however.....

Yes......the call sucked, but they played like ****. That is why the lost.

Vinny642
10-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Actually, I am indifferent towards the Braves. The fans however.....

Yes......the call sucked, but they played like ****. That is why the lost.

The call ruined any chance of us coming back, that didn't help us at all... it cost us a chance at a come back, it helped us lose the game.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Ruling on protest will be made tonight.

Nice to get it over with ASAP.

TrueYankee
10-05-2012, 08:49 PM

Yes

LeFtY182
10-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Braves got screwed. What happens if they win protest though?

mark1125
10-05-2012, 08:51 PM

I would be absolutely shocked if Selig did anything. No way he does anything. he may admonsih the umps behind closed doors, but that is about it.

grandsalami
10-05-2012, 08:51 PM
protest already denied according to tweeeeeeeeter

Skippy15
10-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Protest denied via jayson stark twitter

TrueYankee
10-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Yea denied. Close thread. Sad day for Braves fans

mikekhelxD
10-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Not surprise one bit.

HowFit
10-05-2012, 09:13 PM
That's MLB alright....

gocubs2118
10-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Yea denied. Close thread. Sad day for Braves fans

MLB hasn't ruled on it yet.

Skippy15
10-05-2012, 09:17 PM

The braves manager and jayson stark are just spreading rumors that they denied it?

Vinny642
10-05-2012, 09:21 PM
The MLB are little *****es, they wont admit their mistakes

Skippy15
10-05-2012, 09:22 PM
The MLB are little *****es, they wont admit their mistakes

Chill buddy, your gonna have a heart attack lol

Mr Costanza
10-05-2012, 09:27 PM

Jon Heyman says now officially denied.

Skippy15
10-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Protest officially denied

MetsFanatic19
10-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Professional sports in general are just becoming a joke. No replay or sensible umps in MLB, NHL lockout, NFL replacement ref debacle, and the NBA just being the way it is, it's ridiculous.

salto
10-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Don't agree with the call, but from what I can tell it was actually called correctly.I only question the judgement of applying it then. Kozma was under it and clearly waving his arm to call for it. Whether or not it is in the infield or outfield does not factor into the ruling.

In my Cardinal colored glasses, I question the granting of time out to Ross in the 2nd when Lohse had started his motion. Ross swung through the pitch but was granted a time-out anyway. He then hit a two run homer when the inning should have been over. Score should have been 6-1, so even a grand slam in the 8th doesn't get the job done.

Chipper even said in the post game that it was the errors that cost them the game not the call.

natepro
10-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Out of curiosity, what would've happened if they didn't deny it?

10-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Don't agree with the call, but from what I can tell it was actually called correctly.I only question the judgement of applying it then. Kozma was under it and clearly waving his arm to call for it. Whether or not it is in the infield or outfield does not factor into the ruling.

In my Cardinal colored glasses, I question the granting of time out to Ross in the 2nd when Lohse had started his motion. Ross swung through the pitch but was granted a time-out anyway. He then hit a two run homer when the inning should have been over. Score should have been 6-1, so even a grand slam in the 8th doesn't get the job done.

Chipper even said in the post game that it was the errors that cost them the game not the call.

Official rule:

Umpires will not call “Time” at the request of the batter or any member of his team once the pitcher has started his windup or has come to a set position even though the batter claims “dust in his eyes,” “steamed glasses,” “didn’t get the sign” or for any other cause.

To me it looked like time was granted late.

JoeDirt05
10-05-2012, 09:35 PM
It was denied already

Buckwheat
10-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Out of curiosity, what would've happened if they didn't deny it?

Pretty sure they would correct the call and restart the game from that point.

philsphan123
10-05-2012, 09:37 PM
The umpire could come out and say he was a cardinals fan and mlb would still deny the appeal..they are morons!

philsphan123
10-05-2012, 09:38 PM
PS as my name might indicate I hate the braves but the call was horrible and the game could bee totally different because of it

-Lavigne43-
10-05-2012, 09:39 PM
MLB will never rule in favor of a protest. I don't think that has ever happened

natepro
10-05-2012, 09:41 PM
The umpire could come out and say he was a cardinals fan and mlb would still deny the appeal..they are morons! And the home plate ump is a Braves fan that gave Ross an extra strike? Stop being ridiculous.

Skippy15
10-05-2012, 09:41 PM
MLB will never rule in favor of a protest. I don't think that has ever happened

Yankees-royals- pine tar game

MetsFanatic19
10-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Yankees-royals- pine tar game

And we all know how that turned out.

JoeDirt05
10-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Jon Heyman

@JonHeymanCBS
Torre said he disallowed protest because its a "judgment call"

76ersai0309
10-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Jon Heyman

@JonHeymanCBS

And because the MLB is too ***** to ever do it.

natepro
10-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Jon Heyman

@JonHeymanCBS

And because the MLB is too ***** to ever do it. What, exactly, did you want them to do?

JoeDirt05
10-05-2012, 09:54 PM
And because the MLB is too ***** to ever do it.

or because baseball has come down to judgment calls since it was created

10-05-2012, 09:55 PM
What, exactly, did you want them to do?

Restart it from the 2nd inning before Ross was granted time late.

76ersai0309
10-05-2012, 09:55 PM

Well lets see. The Braves protested the call, so Ill let you go find out what the Braves wanted to do... Then that will be your answer.

natepro
10-05-2012, 09:56 PM

Well lets see. The Braves protested the call, so Ill let you go find out what the Braves wanted to do... Then that will be your answer. I didn't think you'd have an answer. You're just making yourself look ridiculous.

Skippy15
10-05-2012, 09:57 PM
And we all know how that turned out.

2 different situations.

Judgement call vs we have a guys bat with more than to much pine tar.

Judgement calls never will be and never should be won via a protest.

Will we start protesting strike 3s to end a game if its 1 inch below the strike zone? There's just to many possible judgement calls. We'd have protests every week

Skippy15
10-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Restart it from the 2nd inning before Ross was granted time late.

I notice braves fans don't have much to say on that.

76ersai0309
10-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I didn't think you'd have an answer. You're just making yourself look ridiculous.

The obvious answer is to restart with bases loaded one out. With Mac up.

Duh.

Swift n Sil3nt
10-05-2012, 09:59 PM
This is no different than the Monday Night Football game that we just had. It is purely a judgement call and cannot be reviewed. As a Cardinals fan, the call was blown. You cannot argue that it was an infield fly rule for 3 reasons:
1. The ball was not in the infield. This would usually not matter, but the play was by no means deemed an easy out or routine play, which is a requirement.
2. Kozma was still backtracking when the call was made and no angle made me thing otherwise.
3. Little advantage was to be had whether the ball dropped or had been caught. Meaning, if the ball dropped the bases are loaded. If it does not drop you have runners on first and second. Would have been different if the trickery by Kozma causes a double play opportunity, but given the depth and trajectory of the ball, not likely.

People will forget about Ross's timeout call. Both were bad calls. The eight inning had more of an impact. It was a terrible call and should not have been made. It will not be reversed for the RIGHT reasons. It is sad this game went down this way.

Swift n Sil3nt
10-05-2012, 10:01 PM

Duh.

Which you cannot do. You cannot assume the ball would not have been caught since the Ump motioned for the infield fly rule. You would have to restart from the pitch count per MLB's rules.

Duh

StayOnBoard
10-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Definitely the worst blown call I've seen since the "non perfect game" but much worse because it was a 1 game playoff game. Bases could have been loaded with 1 out and the whole dynamics change....

Absolutely brutal, I feel bad for the Braves fans :(

philsphan123
10-05-2012, 10:04 PM
The umpire could come out and say he was a cardinals fan and mlb would still deny the appeal..they are morons! And the home plate ump is a Braves fan that gave Ross an extra strike? Stop being ridiculous.
It was supposed to be ridiculous genius...it was a knock on mlb not the cards or the braves...

natepro
10-05-2012, 10:06 PM
I didn't think you'd have an answer. You're just making yourself look ridiculous.

Duh. And that's why you're being ridiculous. You can't just magically erase those pitches from Motte's arm. Same with Kimbrel. Multiple other plays happened that actually matter. You just want to erase those, because you didn't like the call. I assume you weren't outraged when a time out gave your team an extra strike, that turned into a two-run HR? Why don't they restart it before that call instead, since you're happily waving your no-pitch wand around? :rolleyes:

natepro
10-05-2012, 10:07 PM
It was supposed to be ridiculous genius...it was a knock on mlb not the cards or the braves... And it was a dumb one, champ.

thomass
10-05-2012, 10:09 PM
This is no different than the Monday Night Football game that we just had. It is purely a judgement call and cannot be reviewed. As a Cardinals fan, the call was blown. You cannot argue that it was an infield fly rule for 3 reasons:
1. The ball was not in the infield. This would usually not matter, but the play was by no means deemed an easy out or routine play, which is a requirement.
2. Kozma was still backtracking when the call was made and no angle made me thing otherwise.
3. Little advantage was to be had whether the ball dropped or had been caught. Meaning, if the ball dropped the bases are loaded. If it does not drop you have runners on first and second. Would have been different if the trickery by Kozma causes a double play opportunity, but given the depth and trajectory of the ball, not likely.

People will forget about Ross's timeout call. Both were bad calls. The eight inning had more of an impact. It was a terrible call and should not have been made. It will not be reversed for the RIGHT reasons. It is sad this game went down this way.

And to add, the bases were loaded after he dropped it. So there was no possiblity of any double play being turned or even an out being made. But the issue is not whether or not it was a bad judgement call... as it clearly was. The issue is whether or not it was enforced properly. And it was not. So if the mlb is not going to allow this protest, then they'll never allow a protest ever.

JoeDirt05
10-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Well lets see. The Braves protested the call, so Ill let you go find out what the Braves wanted to do... Then that will be your answer.

the braves gm withdrew his protest

More-Than-Most
10-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Definitely the worst blown call I've seen since the "non perfect game" but much worse because it was a 1 game playoff game. Bases could have been loaded with 1 out and the whole dynamics change....

Absolutely brutal, I feel bad for the Braves fans :(

Um after seeing it again the right call was made....The call is not bad its how late the call was made... How was the call wrong exactly? Like I stated in the other thread if they let that go and the guy drops it on purpose and they double the braves up people would *****....The fly rule makes the ruling on the field correct...The only thing anyone can have issues with is how late the call was made.

JoeDirt05
10-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Um after seeing it again the right call was made....The call is not bad its how late the call was made... How was the call wrong exactly? Like I stated in the other thread if they let that go and the guy drops it on purpose and they double the braves up people would *****....The fly rule makes the ruling on the field correct...The only thing anyone can have issues with is how late the call was made.

this

76ersai0309
10-05-2012, 10:13 PM
And that's why you're being ridiculous. You can't just magically erase those pitches from Motte's arm. Same with Kimbrel. Multiple other plays happened that actually matter. You just want to erase those, because you didn't like the call. I assume you weren't outraged when a time out gave your team an extra strike, that turned into a two-run HR? Why don't they restart it before that call instead, since you're happily waving your no-pitch wand around? :rolleyes:

Umm I would happily restart it before the HR?

Lets see 0-0 with 7 innings to go, or down 3 with 2?

JoeDirt05
10-05-2012, 10:15 PM

Lets see 0-0 with 7 innings to go, or down 3 with 2?

or since we have a magical wand how bout the game ends 6-3 and the cardinals advance to the NLDS oh wait that one actually happend my bad

thomass
10-05-2012, 10:16 PM

except the bases were loaded after he dropped it. all runners advanced safely after the drop. And honestly dude, if you think that was a good call... then WOW. That's all I have to say. But let's assume you're right. The call was still enforced incorrectly as you have pointed out. The call has to made IMMEDIATELY so that the runners know if they have to potentially run or not. The rule was not enforced correctly.

ichitownclowni
10-05-2012, 10:16 PM

If you would have played better there would have been no need for a comeback....................................

natepro
10-05-2012, 10:18 PM
And that's why you're being ridiculous. You can't just magically erase those pitches from Motte's arm. Same with Kimbrel. Multiple other plays happened that actually matter. You just want to erase those, because you didn't like the call. I assume you weren't outraged when a time out gave your team an extra strike, that turned into a two-run HR? Why don't they restart it before that call instead, since you're happily waving your no-pitch wand around? :rolleyes:

Lets see 0-0 with 7 innings to go, or down 3 with 2? Excellent! How many more errors do you think they could make with those extra innings you're happy to give them?

MooseWithFleas
10-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Protests almost never work. Phils had a game a few years ago where there was a game ending double play where Carlos Lee was out by about a full step. It would have ended the game with a Phils 2-1 victory. Instead they called him safe and it went to extra innings. It was clear as day and a game ending play but still it was upheld.

Rush
10-05-2012, 11:11 PM
MLB denied the Braves' protest.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8467263&city=chicago

raidersrock99
10-06-2012, 01:01 AM
The call ruined any chance of us coming back, that didn't help us at all... it cost us a chance at a come back, it helped us lose the game.

whose us? your sig says lets go nats

Dugmet
10-06-2012, 01:18 AM

I think Braves will win it. We will find out tomorrow.

It seems you dont understand the rule. If an IFer can make the catch with ordinary effort, it can be called an IF fly. I think the call was fringy because of the distance, but the SS went back and was in position with ordinary effort.

shizzle09
10-06-2012, 01:21 AM

i think the call was late because of the way the shortstop looked like he had it then just bailed. the ump has to wait and determine if the shortstop can actually get to the ball. you always see shortstops/infielders call it only to peel off for the outfielders.

Dugmet
10-06-2012, 01:22 AM

You dont know when the call was first made. You only know when the fielder heard the call. It could have been made repeatedly. Still the umpire could not make it until he was sure of the position of the ball himself and the fielder's path to the ball. It can take an extra moment to assess the situation properly.

ChiTownPacerFan
10-06-2012, 01:23 AM

There is no way on God's green Earth that either Kozma or Holliday could have let the ball drop, picked it up from 40 feet deep into the outfield, thrown out the runner at third, and still left time for Freese to get the ball to Discalso to turn two. NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER!

That's my problem with the call. It exists specifically to prevent that from happening, and that wasn't in play. It was 100% the wrong call.

6cadi6
10-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Nice.. Torre f'd the Braves. Ex Cardinal and beat them as a manager. Well played sir.

D-Will4Prez
10-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Joe Torre made the call to axe the protest...Yeah, why would he possibly rule in favor of the Cards? #****inrigged :rolleyes:

metswon69
10-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Nice.. Torre f'd the Braves. Ex Cardinal and beat them as a manager. Well played sir.

You do know Torre's first 9 seasons in the big leagues was in a Brave's uniform right?

masTOR_shake1
10-06-2012, 01:45 AM
ummm, no. tough break but the braves got some big time calls too. let it be, mlb.

Texas Holders
10-06-2012, 03:15 AM

He was also a player and manager of the Braves...

ciaban
10-06-2012, 03:16 AM
Braves win the appeal ams beat the cards in the replay. Its been written in stone that they lose later in the postseason to the Giants!

but wouldn't they have had to get through the nats, and you would have to get through he reds, i wouldn't put money on either.

Dugmet
10-06-2012, 11:46 AM
There is no way on God's green Earth that either Kozma or Holliday could have let the ball drop, picked it up from 40 feet deep into the outfield, thrown out the runner at third, and still left time for Freese to get the ball to Discalso to turn two. NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER!

Does not matter. Reread the rule. The rule comes down to an IFer's ability to catch the ball with ordinary effort. That's it.

The Major League rulebook clearly states the circumstances of the infield fly rule: "An infield fly is a fair fly ball...which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out," says Rule 2.00 in the definition of terms.

A further comment on that official rule spells out the complexity of making the call: "The umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder -- not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines," it says. "The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire's judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire's judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately."

2-ONE-5
10-06-2012, 12:01 PM
they lost the appeal immediately after the game ended. it was a judgement call not a rule miss

yankkiller
10-06-2012, 12:32 PM
im guessing that ball that Jeter dove into the stands should have been an infield fly sense jeter had to travel a shorter distance that what happened in that game yesterday

Jeffy25
10-06-2012, 03:23 PM
The protest was not over-turned.

So I'm closing this thread