PDA

View Full Version : Shaq vs. Dwight: Whose side you on?

JasonJohnHorn
10-05-2012, 03:15 PM
I, like many of you, am fascinated by the Shaq/Dwight rivalry. Shaq has, in my mind at least, made himself look like a fool with his comments recently. Claiming Brook Lopez is better than Dwight? Saying Dwight has no back-to-the-basket game? Comparing Lopez to Duncan? I mean... Lopez can't rebound or defend. These are both things that Duncan has been very good at, and that Dwight has proved he is the BEST at. Shaq's creditbility as an analyst is a zero for me right now. His hate-on for Howard has put blinders on him.

This is a great clip that Shaq needs to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slOlB_LfB-o
the first bit actually has Howard posting up on, and showing his BACK to SHAQ and scoring.... obviously Shaq has a short memory.

This video show Howard working on his back-to-the-basket moves with Hakeem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NmzOG7r_Mg&feature=related

Dwight though, is the cuase of the Dwightmare that has been the Orlando Magic for the past year and a half, and I know a lot of fans think Dwight is imature and likely share Shaq's hate-on with Dwight.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Neither.

They're grown *** men who are completely immature.

Slug3
10-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Would have been nice if they were both in their primes when they played each other.

nickdymez
10-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Howard didnt do anything to Shaq i dont think.

seikou8
10-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Would have been nice if they were both in their primes when they played each other.

prime shaq>> Howard prime and this how it is career wise too

Raps18-19 Champ
10-05-2012, 03:25 PM

Howard would get abused.

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 03:29 PM
There is no rivalry.

Shaq is a Top 5 All-Time player and is a Top 1-2 C.

Dwight probably won't even crack the Top 20 and he will be lucky to get into the Top 10 All-Time C list.

Dwight is no threat to Shaq's legacy.

Shaq is just having fun in his new role as media guy.
He said on First Take that he'd actually take Dwight over Bynum.

You guys are making something out of nothing.
Dwight isn't taking this seriously and neither is O'neal.

Chill_Will_24
10-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Dwight never did anything to Shaq. Shaq is frankly just jealous. Jealous that he cannot play anymore. Jealous that "Father Time" caught up with him. Jealous that ORL crowned Dwight their new Superman and also jealous that Dwight has been so embraced by the Lakers. Shaq is a diva.

Dwight has done nothing to him.

SteBO
10-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Both are babies, but if we're strictly talking about what's been said, then I'll lean Dwight Howard's way. Shaq is an attention-whore.

SteBO
10-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Dwight never did anything to Shaq. Shaq is frankly just jealous. Jealous that he cannot play anymore. Jealous that "Father Time" caught up with him. Jealous that ORL crowned Dwight their new Superman and also jealous that Dwight has been so embraced by the Lakers. Shaq is a diva.

Dwight handled his situation very poorly, but it's time to move on and he didn't do or say anything disrespectful towards Shaq. Your post is spot on sir.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-05-2012, 03:36 PM
I would put in a choice for "I don't give a ****" but I don't want to abuse my mod powers lol.

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Shaq has never really said anything "mean" to Dwight and its clear some of his statements have been in jest.

As I said before he is just having fun in his new media role and he is obviously not trying to be the serious analyst and for better or worse I guess that means he doesn't really take the job that seriously.

Shaq had all the things Dwight had so I don't see why he'd be jealous.
He was a better C then Dwight was when they both played for Orlando and I doubt he'll be mimicking his level of play or success for LAL.

Chill_Will_24
10-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Shaq has never really said anything "mean" to Dwight and its clear some of his statements have been in jest.

As I said before he is just having fun in his new media role and he is obviously not trying to be the serious analyst and for better or worse I guess that means he doesn't really take the job that seriously.

Shaq had all the things Dwight had so I don't see why he'd be jealous.
He was a better C then Dwight was when they both played for Orlando and I doubt he'll be mimicking his level of play or success for LAL.

Dwight may be an idiot and immature but he has done well to keep out of verbal sparring matches with Shaq. See its like Chris Rock would say. Dwight could not win an argument with Shaq because Shaq doesn't have an inherent need to make sense with his arguments.

I mean c'mon. The man put Brook Lopez in the same breath as Duncan and couldn't remember Brook's name! :laugh2:

Shaq is bitter and jealous. Not because of accomplishments but because some guys have that issue which prevents them from moving on and passing the torch to young guys. Dwight is right; Shaq should be mentoring these young guys like Cousins, Lopez, Gasol, Drummond, Favors etc. as oposed to sitting behind a deck talking trash.

It's pointless. You got old and now it's someone else turn. Move on.

Shaq is too much of a diva.

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Dwight may be an idiot and immature but he has done well to keep out of verbal sparring matches with Shaq.

I agree with you on this.
Dwight has handled himself excellently in this situation.

As for Shaq really being jealous/upset and acting like a diva... not really 100% with you there.

I think people sometimes take things too seriously.
People say stupid things in the media all the time but because its Shaq its blown up into this.

Gibby23
10-05-2012, 03:50 PM

As for Shaq really being jealous/upset and acting like a diva... not really 100% with you there.

People say stupid things in the media all the time but because its Shaq its blown up into this.

Shaq needs to drop it now, he has been on Howard for about 2 years now. Howard is a laker now and it isn't a good idea for Shaq to keep talking unless he want to hear boos from Laker fans when they retire his number. That wouldn't look too good for the big guy.

Vinny642
10-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Biggest babies in the world right here

RaiderLakersA's
10-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Shaq is right. He had the Superman moniker first. He is the most physically dominant center of all time.

But he is dead wrong for the way that he's going about safeguarding his legacy. The fact is, it needs no safeguarding. It speaks for itself.

He should take a page from MJ. Either MJ. When people start trying to compare other players to you, don't respond. Let the facts bear themselves out. Let time work the case. Let the performances -- and reality -- settle it. You don't have to sue every little pissant mom & pop for infringement when you're the hegemon. Maybe in the business world, but not in the sports world. The game speaks for itself.

Chill_Will_24
10-05-2012, 03:55 PM

I would agree with you if this was a one time occurrence. Shaq has been taking shots at Dwight for years now and it does not stop. He gets visibly worked up when anything Dwight related is brought up. He has been coming up with 1001 reasons to dislike Dwight and most of them stupid:

-The nickname
-Dwight has not earned his stripes because he has no competition
-Dwight has no skills in the post (false)
-Dwight doesn't want to win
-Dwight is not serious enough
-Dwight is copying his mannerisms
-Dwight is just a flashy player with no skills

It does on and on and on and its obvious to everyone at this point that it is personal. Like i said if this was a one time thing then yes it would probably be a non-story and a joke. However Shaq is ALWAYS taking jabs at Dwight.

smith&wesson
10-05-2012, 03:57 PM
if shaq in his prime played vs howard in his prime, shaq would take a huge duece on howards face.

in regards to their little beef. i think they are both acting like a couple of*****es :catfight:

Chill_Will_24
10-05-2012, 04:03 PM
if shaq in his prime played vs howard in his prime, shaq would take a huge duece on howards face.

in regards to their little beef. i think they are both acting like a couple of*****es :catfight:

Tell me what Dwight did. Just find me one quote where Dwight dissed Shaq in any way. Shaq is the one always taking jabs at him and always some stupid reprter goes to Dwight and asks him "his opinion on Shaq's comments" and what is Dwight supposed to say?

I agree that Shaq in his prime would make Dwight cry for his momma. Shaq was a beast.

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Tell me what Dwight did. Just find me one quote where Dwight dissed Shaq in any way. Shaq is the one always taking jabs at him and always some stupid reprter goes to Dwight and asks him "his opinion on Shaq's comments" and what is Dwight supposed to say?

I agree that Shaq in his prime would make Dwight cry for his momma. Shaq was a beast.

Howard implied that he will surpass Shaq because he is the newer generation.

JK, lol.

RaiderLakersA's
10-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Remember the days when Shaq used to treat Kobe like he was his whipping boy? Now Shaq only speaks with the highest regard for Kobe.

Well, Dwight, you better win some rings. Otherwise Shaq will NEVER shut up. :D :D :D

nickdymez
10-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Shaq needs to drop it now, he has been on Howard for about 2 years now. Howard is a laker now and it isn't a good idea for Shaq to keep talking unless he want to hear boos from Laker fans when they retire his number. That wouldn't look too good for the big guy.

There is no way anyone would Boo Shaq at the ceromony. I would beat them up if I were there.. lol

Lake_Show2416
10-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Howard has shy'd away from saying anything negative about Shaq, while Shaq continues to talk out his ***, most of the time sounding bitter & jealous that he himself is no longer able to play on the NBA level

Victimize
10-05-2012, 04:46 PM
I just dont understand how Shaq can feel that Lopez is a better C, attention whore or not that statement makes him look like a moron. Its pretty important to be able to rebound and defend as a C, both things Lopez struggles with. His label by some as the softest player in the league is for a reason.

Lopez isnt even a top 5 center at this point and wont be until he improves defensively.

49erGiantLaker
10-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Neither.

shep33
10-05-2012, 05:05 PM
This is Shaq being Shaq. Dwight handled his situation in the summer poorly... but Shaq loves attention, he needs attention because he's a 40 year old 350lb child.

I used to love Shaq, but certain events in LA made me lose a ton of a respect for the guy.

He's always been this way, he loves to start drama, he hates when somebody else may become more popular than him. He always needs to be #1. Which is fine, but don't make an *** out of yourself and throw people under the bus.

Hawkeye15
10-05-2012, 05:26 PM
they are both babies. I choose that option. But Shaq is being a bitter old man with this vendetta against the Lakers and Howard.

JasonJohnHorn
10-05-2012, 06:12 PM
I would put in a choice for "I don't give a ****" but I don't want to abuse my mod powers lol.

I would be happy to add that option if I could... lol. I frankly should have thought of that!

King Drew
10-05-2012, 06:31 PM
theres no way howard is gonna be as dominant as shaq was

Ebbs
10-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Can't I hate both equally?

Hawkeye15
10-05-2012, 06:40 PM
yeah, Howard is never going to be the player Shaq was, but that isn't important. The Lakers have enough right now. Even their older players have rarely missed time due to injury, so its not hard to imagine Kobe, Gasol, and Nash playing 75 games or more.

Mr_Jones
10-05-2012, 06:46 PM
There is no rivalry.

Shaq is a Top 5 All-Time player and is a Top 1-2 C.

Dwight probably won't even crack the Top 20 and he will be lucky to get into the Top 10 All-Time C list.

Dwight is no threat to Shaq's legacy.

Shaq is just having fun in his new role as media guy.
He said on First Take that he'd actually take Dwight over Bynum.

You guys are making something out of nothing.
Dwight isn't taking this seriously and neither is O'neal.

Your mother must have drank a lot when you were in her womb, yes?

You constantly say Shaq is "just having fun" and "he's playing around", yet, it's pretty blatantly obvious he has an issue with Dwight when Dwight never really did anything wrong.

And what kind of name is Andrew, anyway? That's a girl's name.

shep33
10-05-2012, 06:50 PM
theres no way howard is gonna be as dominant as shaq was

Offensively, without question your right. Defensively, Howard is better than Shaq ever was.

jerellh528
10-05-2012, 07:00 PM
I dont get why shaq is hating so much on dwight lately. Is it jealousy, motivation, stupidity? I just don't know.

championships
10-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Snaq is just talking some bull **** here. Hard to even take him serious after that.

Hawkeye15
10-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I dont get why shaq is hating so much on dwight lately. Is it jealousy, motivation, stupidity? I just don't know.

It seems to me he just has a major resentment towards the Lakers organization at this point for shelling him off in 2004. Whatever, time to move on Shaq.

LakersSaintsLSU
10-05-2012, 07:11 PM

Gotta love D12 is with the lakers....but prime shaq destroys ANY center that steps on the court EASY!

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Snaq is just talking some bull **** here. Hard to even take him serious after that.
What kind of Laker fan disrespects Shaq (Snaq) like this after he resurrected your franchise and was the driving force behind 3 banners.

Pathetic man... :eyebrow:

Just saying all real Laker fans show Shaq respect.

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Offensively, without question your right. Defensively, Howard is better than Shaq ever was.
Uhh no.

Prime Shaq was a way better post and m2m defender then Dwight is and a better deterrent in the paint.

Dwight is only better at help defense which imo is not enough to make him the better defensive anchor.

LINsation
10-05-2012, 07:15 PM

Dwight would get smacked. Not even close

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 07:17 PM
You constantly say Shaq is "just having fun" and "he's playing around", yet, it's pretty blatantly obvious he has an issue with Dwight when Dwight never really did anything wrong.

And what kind of name is Andrew, anyway? That's a girl's name.
Shaq has never really said anything hateful against Dwight.
He said Bynum was arguably better and more skilled offensively... that isn't really that far off base and he eventually ended up saying he would take Dwight over Bynum on TV.

The Lopez comment was stupid but people in the media say stupid things all the times.
This is only blown up because Shaq said it and he has lots of haters like yourself and because Dwight is a Laker now.

Andrew is a girls name?
I dunno what girls you date but mine don't have dicks in their panties.

5ass
10-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Im on Gustavo Ayon's side.

heyman321
10-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Who cares Lebron is winning the ship this year

jerellh528
10-05-2012, 07:42 PM
It seems to me he just has a major resentment towards the Lakers organization at this point for shelling him off in 2004. Whatever, time to move on Shaq.

If he hasn't moved on since then thats sad, he's won a ring in miami and getting his jersey retired in LA this year. def time to move on.

smiddy012
10-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Shaq is either:

A - Using reverse psychology to light a fire under DH's @$$.

or

B - Displaying that his maturity is that of a 5th grader.

I would go with A.

I think Shaq sees the same stupid young self in DH that prevented him from reaching his full/true potential as a player, this is why Shaq resents DH. When you think about it, there isn't another person in the world who understands what DH has been going through more than Shaq. I wouldn't be surprised if DH reminds Shaq of himself, and is simply doing/saying what he thinks would light a fire under his @$$ when he was a young player.

And I don't think Shaq is that incredibly stupid to really think that DH isn't a top 2 center.

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Shaq is either:

A - Using reverse psychology to light a fire under DH's @$$.

or

B - Displaying that his maturity is that of a 5th grader.

I would go with A.

I think Shaq sees the same stupid young self in DH that prevented him from reaching his full/true potential as a player, this is why Shaq resents DH. When you think about there isn't another person in the world who understands what DH has been going through more than Shaq. I wouldn't be surprised if DH reminds Shaq of himself, and is simply doing/saying what he thinks would light a fire under his @$$ when he was a young player.

And I don't think Shaq is that incredibly stupid to really think that DH isn't a top 2 center.

:clap:

KnicksorBust
10-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Shaq can say what he wants. He and Barkley just spout nonsense. Get headlines. Piss off fans. Then we wait around, watch them on TNT, and let them get a rise out of us everytime. I'm not a Dwight fan either but I have no problem with him having an honest reaction and not trying to be diplomatic.

championships
10-05-2012, 08:18 PM
What kind of Laker fan disrespects Shaq (Snaq) like this after he resurrected your franchise and was the driving force behind 3 banners.

Pathetic man... :eyebrow:

Just saying all real Laker fans show Shaq respect.What would you know about REAL fans!?!. Shaq didn't do much for the purple n gold till Phil came to town, what 3-4 years later?. Yes I loved the three peat but after Shaq left (on a sour note) he didn't matter to me. He played for 4 other teams after the Lakers including the frickin Celtics!!.

I am a Lakers fan first. When Snaq left he bashed the Lakers and Dr Buss and now even that they're still retiring his number, he talks trash about their new center. Now what REAL fan can respect that?

Avenged
10-05-2012, 08:33 PM
What would you know about REAL fans!?!. Shaq didn't do much for the purple n gold till Phil came to town, what 3-4 years later?. Yes I loved the three peat but after Shaq left (on a sour note) he didn't matter to me. He played for 4 other teams after the Lakers including the frickin Celtics!!.

I am a Lakers fan first. When Snaq left he bashed the Lakers and Dr Buss and now even that they're still retiring his number, he talks trash about their new center. Now what REAL fan can respect that?

Yep. Shaq left on a bad note, bad mouthed Kobe, bad mouthed the franchise, and now is bad mouthing another Laker player in Dwight. Oh but nooo, we just have to bend over for this guy :rolleyes:

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 08:35 PM
I am a Lakers fan first.

Then you should respect him enough to call him by his real name.
He did alot for the Lakers franchise which you claim to be a fan of.

C'mon man... just show him some respect it isn't asking much.

Shaq was not in the right when it came to some things he said but neither was Mr. Buss and the franchise in terms of some things they did to Shaq.
Believe it or not they were also in the wrong.

Let bygones be bygones.
Shaq had only said nice things about LAL and Kobe for awhile now.

Sure he fu* with Dwight occasionally (which pple take too seriously) but Dwight just became a Laker so you can't pretend its related.

ink
10-05-2012, 08:36 PM

I'd select that option if it was there. lol.

ink
10-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Yep. Shaq left on a bad note, bad mouthed Kobe, bad mouthed the franchise, and now is bad mouthing another Laker player in Dwight. Oh but nooo, we just have to bend over for this guy :rolleyes:

Or sadly, just ignore him. Sadly, because he's a great player but he never knew when to shut up.

Dwight's not much better.

Just put it down to Cs who want to leave ORL for LA. They're both jack-*****.

tshwhhh
10-05-2012, 08:58 PM
i think shaq is still bitter that lakers choose to dump him over kobe, somehow this is bleading over into this. i think shaq wanted obviously to end his career here but it didnt happen, he was still talking crap about kobe until rescently. Now somehow he is threatend by dwight being here and having a chance to have a longer career here than shaq did. its gonna be sooo akward when shaq's number gets retired, wonder how the crowd will respond, even if the crowd behaves it will be with a bad taste in their mouths. oh and by the way shaq is no where close to being an analyst, he is just an entertainer just like chuck, they just say stuff to sock people, like shock jocks, i doubt they beleive half the stuff they say.

JordansBulls
10-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Neither