PDA

View Full Version : Dirk and Cuban MAD over new Anti-Flopping Rules

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 12:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8461735/dallas-mavericks-mark-cuban-dirk-nowitzki-discusses-new-flopping-rule

Count Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki and owner Mark Cuban among those who believe the NBA's new plan to fine repeated floppers could be, well, a flop.

The plan calls for players to get a warning the first time the league determines they flop in an attempt to influence a foul call, then be fined $5,000 for a second violation. The fines increase to $10,000 for a third offense, $15,000 for a fourth and $30,000 for the fifth. Six or more could lead to a suspension.

"I never looked at myself as a big flopper," Nowitzki told the Dallas Morning News while the Mavericks are practicing in Germany. "If you play me physical then, obviously, I've got to sell the call and get to the (free throw) line. That's just part of the game. We'll have to see how they enforce that.

"I think it's a bunch of crap to be honest with you. Are they going to come back after a game and fine you for flopping? That's tough to do, to me."

Cuban, an often vocal critic of NBA officiating over the years, believes the league's new plan to fine repeated floppers could have "unintended consequences."

"It depends on whether or not it changes how flopping in game is called," Cuban replied to ESPNDallas.com in an email from Berlin. "If it just causes the refs to give floppers the benefit of the doubt knowing the league can deal with it after the fact, it could have some unintended consequences.

"A big question is going to be how much depth of explanation is going to be given when a fine is [assessed] and whether or not the league will enforce teams paying the fines for the players who get caught flopping."

Cuban considers the probability of incessant questioning from the media about the flopping issue -- such as soliciting postgame opinions from players and coaches about specific plays and follow-ups in the ensuing days about whether the league has made a ruling -- to be the "biggest downside" to the fine system.

"Hey, sometimes they put in new rules, and you look and you say, 'Hey, this rule really helped our sport,'" Nowitzki told the Morning News. "And some rules don't and they get thrown out pretty quick because they're not enforceable.

"We'll see how it goes and how guys adjust. I don't think it's a big deal. We'll just play the regular game like we always have. I'm not really worried about anything. I'm just going to go out there like I always play."

Cuban also has some advice for officials on the telltale signs of a flop intended to draw a charge.

"The one thing the NBA should do, but of course it won't, is to make it so an offensive foul is NOT called if a guy falls on his butt," Cuban wrote in his email. "The biomechanics of force and resistance don't cause you to fall flat on your butt on contact, unless the defender intends to fall on his butt upon contact.

"So if you see charges called because a guy lands on his ***, you know nothing has really changed. If the 'look at me, I'm on the floor' gets you nothing but a smirk, you know the rules are working."

SteBO
10-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Wade is more of a verbal flopper. He actually gets fouled a **** ton but the refs don't call it often because he complains way too much. In the end, Wade, Dirk and Pierce will be fine.

I get why Dirk and Cuban are upset, but in all honesty something had to be done. I'm well aware that my favorite team has gotten the benefit of the doubt on flops at certain times of certain games, but then again so does every other team in the league and it takes away from the aggression of the sport. But flopping has always been part of the game, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.....I'm not expecting much though.

Cal827
10-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Kobe Flops... Come at me Laker fans!

:D

LOL

Honestly though, I don't really got anything against trying to sell a call where you are already fouled, it's instances where basically nothing happens and they draw a foul that annoys me... obviously the funny one I can think of right now was the Boozer-Bosh interaction from a few years back.

Some guys do stuff like that constantly though lol

Chronz
10-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Really limited? Rly now?

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Kobe Flops... Come at me Laker fans!

:D

:dance:

Cal827
10-05-2012, 12:54 PM
:dance:

:laugh: and that's why you are the lovable Laker homer on this site. :clap:

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Really limited? Rly now?

Are you really here to antagonize every one of my posts?

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 12:57 PM
:laugh: and that's why you are the lovable Laker homer on this site. :clap:

llullz, thanks Cal.

Chronz
10-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Are you really here to antagonize every one of my posts?
I question any odd post from anyone.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I question any odd post from anyone.

I took that part out of them getting limited. But their ability to get to the free throw line will be decreased in some ways, don't you think?

Young2Kinsler
10-05-2012, 01:13 PM
There have been tons of guys around the league speak out about this...

I Rock Shaqs
10-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Agree with Mark Cuban 100% and i usually do, except the whole Deron Williams thing he was butt hurt.

Slug3
10-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Honestly how IS this going to be called. I mean if a guy gets hit very lightly on the arm and they fall down like they got shot but no foul was called. Is that a flop? I mean in the rule book its a foul but nothing was called.

I honestly feel like this is for the people trying to take charges with no contact and fly back or when they get screened and jump into the stands acting like they got sumo pushed.

IndyRealist
10-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Cuban's example is flawed. What he is saying is that if you stand in front of a player to take a charge, you're not allowed to catch yourself to keep from getting hurt. Just because you know contact is coming doesn't make it a flop.

Gram
10-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Lol Dirk.

Hawkeye15
10-05-2012, 05:19 PM
I took that part out of them getting limited. But their ability to get to the free throw line will be decreased in some ways, don't you think?

Stars won't be affected by this rule change. They will always get the calls. I really think the only ones that will be affected are the Varajeo's and Barea's of the world. The non-stars who really sell with acting.

I do think its funny how all these flop threads turn into fanbases going to war on which stars from other teams flop. Um, every team in the NBA has floppers.

topdog
10-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Cuban's example is flawed. What he is saying is that if you stand in front of a player to take a charge, you're not allowed to catch yourself to keep from getting hurt. Just because you know contact is coming doesn't make it a flop.

I think we agree on this because I don't see an issue with a defensive player going to the floor once contact is made. You're protecting yourself but also taking yourself out of the play if there is no call. The issue I have is with flailing or falling pre-contact or sliding back about 10ft.

YungDaSensai
10-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Cp3 and Blake get your checkbooks ready

Sssmush
10-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Flopping can actually be really dangerous. When players throw themselves on the ground, they can potentially injure the legs of other players.

Therefore, regardless of the competitive argument for fining floppers, which is strong, just in terms of player safety these situations should be reviewed in the same way helmet contact in the NFL is reviewed.

JordansBulls
10-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Why would Dirk get mad, he hardly ever flops.

BALKIS2K12
10-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Stars won't be affected by this rule change. They will always get the calls. I really think the only ones that will be affected are the Varajeo's and Barea's of the world. The non-stars who really sell with acting.

I do think its funny how all these flop threads turn into fanbases going to war on which stars from other teams flop. Um, every team in the NBA has floppers.

nah your wrong jj wont be affected bc barea is one of the most smartest players in the league according to james n wade who rule the league.

JordansBulls
10-06-2012, 01:45 PM

In the playoffs is where some stars won't be getting the calls. See Durant in the finals last season.

Losoway
10-06-2012, 01:48 PM
kobe doesnt ever flop . but lmao @ nowtixvzi being mad

he is TOP 3 GREATEST FLOPPERS because he actually believes he is getting fouled

DR_1
10-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Balkis is back! The GOAT!!! :laugh2: