PDA

View Full Version : Shaq compares Brook Lopez to Duncan, Says he is #2 Center

waveycrockett
10-05-2012, 08:19 AM
“What we have now are centers that are going to the European style, which is a lot of pick-and-roll,” O’Neal said. “Dwight Howard, who’s a pick-and-roll player, some people say he’s the best center in the league. But me being an old-school center, I’m going to go with” Lopez and Bynum, he said, “because they play with their back to the basket.”

“Listen to what I’m saying,” O’Neal said. “I’m not talking about dunking — I’m talking about playing like a big man with the moves. My man, before he had the foot injury, was putting up nice, solid big-man numbers.”

Lopez is one of the few centers who are just as effective around the basket as from a distance, mixing post moves with faceup jumpers. In his last full season, Lopez made 62.6 percent of his shots at the rim and 47 percent from between 3 and 9 feet, according to HoopData.com.

Lopez gets downgraded for his rebounding (5.9 per game in 2010-11) and defense. But he remains critical to the Nets’ playoff hopes.

“There are very few centers in the N.B.A. that can do what he can do on the floor, especially offensively,” Coach Avery Johnson said. “He can pass, he can score inside, he’s got a good jump shot, finishes inside, runs the break.”

"Reminds me of ... I'm going to go with Tim Duncan," O'Neal said. "Classy guy. You'll never hear about him getting in trouble. Great moves, great composure, and you're really not going to faze him. A couple guys will probably try to rough him up, but that's not going to faze him. Good player. Good player."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/04/shaquille-oneal-brook-lopez-robin-lopez-dwight-howard/1612807/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/sports/basketball/shaqs-top-2-nba-centers-brook-lopez-and-andrew-bynum.html?_r=0

Say whatever negative thing you want about Lopez rebounding but offensively he clearly patterned his offensive game after Duncans. If he has gotten stronger he is going to be a problem with all these weapons around him he hasn't had since he was a rookie.

JNoel
10-05-2012, 08:35 AM
I like Shaq but he is starting to get old real quickly. Brook Lopez is never going to be any where near the top 5 as for centers, don't see his fascination with him.

waveycrockett
10-05-2012, 08:36 AM
I like Shaq but he is starting to get old real quickly. Brook Lopez is never going to be any where near the top 5 as for centers, don't see his fascination with him.

2 years ago when he was allstar snubbed he was labeled as around 4 or 5.

Gram
10-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Lol Shaq.

oak2455
10-05-2012, 08:45 AM
So Lopez is better than when we last seen him ? This is going to be a fun year.......can't wait .... I like Shaq and all but STFU already

koreancabbage
10-05-2012, 08:46 AM

yea times have changed. lol thats how much the last 2-3 years have changed in terms of drafts and quality of big men

sixer04fan
10-05-2012, 08:54 AM
The Nash-Dwight pick and roll is going to be flat out unstoppable. Who cares if he can't play with his back to the basket?

Evolution23
10-05-2012, 08:56 AM
he did it for the lulz, but people are luling at shaq now.

Evolution23
10-05-2012, 08:57 AM

Are you saying Lopez is better than Dwight?

JNoel
10-05-2012, 08:58 AM

He basically had his own team then, and now with lesser touches on offense, we will see his points take a dive. He's also a bad rebounder.

TheNumber37
10-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Duncan without defense? pass.

PC
10-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Duncan without defense? pass.

And rebounding...

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 09:11 AM
I love Shaq but no.
He actually is a very wise basketball mind but the media guys are telling him to say stupid **** I think.

#2 will be either Dwight or Bynum... most likely Bynum.

waveycrockett
10-05-2012, 09:12 AM
yea times have changed. lol thats how much the last 2-3 years have changed in terms of drafts and quality of big men

True but I'm just saying to say he never sniffed top-5 is in correct. He has top-5 talent for sure if he improves his defense and rebounding.

Rockice_8
10-05-2012, 09:13 AM

Really cause like 2 years ago he was widely regarded as a top 5 guy before guys like Gasol, Bynum and Chandler broke out.

This year I have a really good feeling that he's going to get back into the top 5 and pass the likes of guys like Gasol/Hibbert. He's miles better offensively then both of them and if he can just get back to his 8 rbs he'll easily be top 5.

waveycrockett
10-05-2012, 09:15 AM
He basically had his own team then, and now with lesser touches on offense, we will see his points take a dive. He's also a bad rebounder.

Lopez career offensive numbers all go UP when he and DWILL are on the court compared to Farmar/Gaines and DWILL has said himself he is not going to be shooting much this year.

Rockice_8
10-05-2012, 09:20 AM

If anyone's points are going to dive it's D-Will's both JJ and Lopez will be right around 20 ppg.

I don't think Lopez will ever surpass Dwight or Bynum but these next tier guys are flawed just like Brook.

If he can put up 20/8 with around 2 blocks (not completely outrageous stats) that will clearly put him in the top 5 centers.

koreancabbage
10-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Lopez career offensive numbers all go UP when he and DWILL are on the court compared to Farmar/Gaines and DWILL has said himself he is not going to be shooting much this year.

u have JJ on this team and as well as Marshon Brooks.

and then you have DWill who himself is one of the best offensive guards in the league.

and crash will get his.

his numbers will go down. Dwill, JJ, Wallace and Humphries are good rebounders for their position. Still good but i don't see him averaging 20 pts (17-18) or even 6 rebounds. i'm guessing 17, under 6 rebounds, 2+ assists.

his assists could go up since there are many more weapons than he has ever had in a Nets team

waveycrockett
10-05-2012, 09:26 AM
u have JJ on this team and as well as Marshon Brooks.

and then you have DWill who himself is one of the best offensive guards in the league.

and crash will get his.

his numbers will go down. Dwill, JJ, Wallace and Humphries are good rebounders for their position. Still good but i don't see him averaging 20 pts (17-18) or even 6 rebounds. i'm guessing 17, under 6 rebounds, 2+ assists.

his assists could go up since there are many more weapons than he has ever had in a Nets team

You think Dwights numbers are going down with Nash, Kobe and Pau?

knicksfan42
10-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Did anyone notice how all the Nets trolls posted the same thread? DMF, Jmoney, wavey.

JNoel
10-05-2012, 09:32 AM

Though D Will wont be shooting as much, you still got to divide the touches players get. Joe Johnson will be taking at least 12 shots per game, Crash will get about 8-10 shots a night. The point is that he won't be taking shots like he has been the last couple of seasons. Humphries will have a career season rebounding imo, Lopez rebounding numbers will also decrease.

JNoel
10-05-2012, 09:40 AM
If anyone's points are going to dive it's D-Will's both JJ and Lopez will be right around 20 ppg.

I don't think Lopez will ever surpass Dwight or Bynum but these next tier guys are flawed just like Brook.

If he can put up 20/8 with around 2 blocks (not completely outrageous stats) that will clearly put him in the top 5 centers.

He'll average somewhere in the neighborhood of 14/7 imo. I wouldn't even consider him a center if he has another poor rebounding season, which i do think he's headed for.

2-ONE-5
10-05-2012, 09:47 AM
theres already a theead on this

waveycrockett
10-05-2012, 10:20 AM
He'll average somewhere in the neighborhood of 14/7 imo. I wouldn't even consider him a center if he has another poor rebounding season, which i do think he's headed for.

The offense will probably run through him no way he averages only 14.

I Rock Shaqs
10-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Does anybody really care what Shaq says, like seriously I like him but it's obvious he has no idea what he is talking about.

Bravo95
10-05-2012, 12:32 PM
He said Dwight's "a pick and roll player" like it's a bad thing.

Guess that means Karl Malone or these other one-trick ponies are overrated.

DoMeFavors
10-05-2012, 12:36 PM
You guys mad? That its the truth what ive been saying. None of you have ever watched Brook Lopez so you have no idea about him.

Shaq is one of the best players of all time and his opinion means more than you guys who dont even watch him play.

waveycrockett
10-05-2012, 12:45 PM
He said Dwight's "a pick and roll player" like it's a bad thing.

Guess that means Karl Malone or these other one-trick ponies are overrated.

It is a bad thing. You see what happens to pick and roll guys after they lose their explosion. See Amar'e Stoudemire and K-Mart.

And comparing them to Karl Malone is just dumb. Yea he did ALOT of Pick and Roll but That guy never missed from 10-15 feet either and had a slick post game.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Lopez >>>>> Howard

Lopez >>>>> Bynum

There, happy OP?

Now can we please close this thread... Please? :)

2-ONE-5
10-05-2012, 12:49 PM
You guys mad? That its the truth what ive been saying. None of you have ever watched Brook Lopez so you have no idea about him.

Shaq is one of the best players of all time and his opinion means more than you guys who dont even watch him play.

no but Shaq clearly is mad. Playing and evalutating talent are two compeltley different things

Bravo95
10-05-2012, 12:53 PM
The problem with the argument is that every Nets' fan was ready to trade Brook and nearly anyone else on their roster to get Dwight, just like every other fan base. But I mean, if you guys want to re-write history, that's fine.

waveycrockett
10-05-2012, 12:57 PM
The problem with the argument is that every Nets' fan was ready to trade Brook and nearly anyone else on their roster to get Dwight, just like every other fan base. But I mean, if you guys want to re-write history, that's fine.

Nobody said Shaq was right about Lopez being #2 over Dwight. I just agree with the positives he pointed out.

DoMeFavors
10-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Now that I think about it, Brook is the better player to have on the roster. Defense is overated and Brook has the best post game in the NBA.

I only wanted Dwight because of his defense when Nets already had Deron and Joe. But I agree with Shaq that Brook is the better player.

waveycrockett
10-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Now that I think about it, Brook is the better player to have on the roster. Defense is overated and Brook has the best post game in the NBA.

I only wanted Dwight because of his defense when Nets already had Deron and Joe. But I agree with Shaq that Brook is the better player.

I stand corrected lol

bluefire7002
10-05-2012, 01:04 PM

... Sorry defense is underrated if that. If you guys are trying to just stroke your ego now that you know you did end up with Lopez thats fine.. But he is not the better player.

if you seriously dont think Howard>>>> Bynum >>>> Lopez
your lying to yourself

DoMeFavors
10-05-2012, 01:06 PM
... Sorry defense is underrated if that

Its the most overated thing on this forum, if you are a good defender to these people you are a top 5 player lol...pathetic

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 01:06 PM

No, defense wins championships.

And no, Brook Lopez is not the best post player in the NBA. That title still belongs to Mr. Pau Gasol.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Its the most overated thing on this forum, if you are a good defender to these people you are a top 5 player lol...pathetic

Rebounding is a part of defense.

Brook Lopez is not good at rebounding for his size and position, thus, his defense sucks.

You're Welcome.

rapjuicer06
10-05-2012, 01:08 PM
How can Lopez be compared to Duncan when Duncan had that nice 15 footer that he made on a consistant basis? That's like saying Donte Green is like Lebron James, he can dunk just like him...just can't play defense, pass, shoot, rebound, ball handle like him. But he's like Lebron

I Rock Shaqs
10-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Talk about underrated Mr. Underrated aka Al Jefferson has the best post game in the NBA right now.

waveycrockett
Rebounding is a part of defense.

Brook Lopez is not good at rebounding for his size and position, thus, his defense sucks.

You're Welcome.

WTF somebody needs to tell that to Carlos Boozer haters lol.

rapjuicer06

And no, Brook Lopez is not the best post player in the NBA. That title still belongs to Mr. Pau Gasol.

Actually it belongs to a guy named Al Jefferson

waveycrockett
10-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Talk about underrated Mr. Underrated aka Al Jefferson has the best post game in the NBA right now.

I hate his game.

rapjuicer06
10-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Boozer sucks on defense too.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Actually it belongs to a guy named Al Jefferson

Al Jefferson has a nice beautiful jump hook no doubt, but he's not as versatile as Pau.

To me, having a post-game doesn't simply mean shooting the basketball, it also means being able to initiate plays and part of the offense from that position as well and reading defenses, double teams, and finding open shooters and cutters/slashers and not stagnating the offense.

There is no one better who finds open cutters, passes the ball well out of the post and is basically a PG out of the post along with his myriad of moves than Pau Gasol. His versatility, unselfishness, skill, high IQ and passing ability make him the best post player in the NBA today.

rapjuicer06
10-05-2012, 01:12 PM
I hate his game.

Why? His offensive game is awesome. He can do it all.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 01:13 PM

Well, one thing you can take solace in is that Lopez is on the rise while Boozer is vastly on the decline, and that Boozer is an overpaid bum who should get amnestied. Just a terrible signing by the Bulls 2 yrs ago. :pity:

JerseysFinest
10-05-2012, 01:13 PM
In Lopez's defense, the man has been injured for quite honestly the past two years, that's when people started labeling him as soft and a bad player. Brook Lopez is not a top 2 center, and not a top 5 center, and as a Nets fan, I'm perfectly fine with that. This year, as long as he stays healthy, I believe he'll surprise a lot of people with his play.

rapjuicer06
10-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Al Jefferson has a nice beautiful jump hook no doubt, but he's not as versatile as Pau.

To me, having a post-game doesn't simply mean shooting the basketball, it also means being able to initiate plays and part of the offense from that position as well and reading defenses, double teams, and finding open shooters and cutters/slashers and not stagnating the offense.

There is no one better who finds open cutters, passes the ball well out of the post and is basically a PG out of the post along with his myriad of moves than Pau Gasol. His versatility, unselfishness, skill, high IQ and passing ability make him the best post player in the NBA today.

Naw, Jefferson's post game is damn good. He can pass out of the post and his post moves are better than anyones in the game right now. I'm a HUGE fan of this guy. I really wish I could see more of his games.

JerseysFinest
10-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Not sure if serious.

Dwight Howard is a once in a generation talent that will probably go down as one of the best centers in NBA history. Not sure I can say the same for Brook, even though I believe he can be very good. And I'm not sure if you're serious with that defense comment.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Naw, Jefferson's post game is damn good. He can pass out of the post and his post moves are better than anyones in the game right now. I'm a HUGE fan of this guy. I really wish I could see more of his games.

I'm a huge fan of his too, maybe he will be the better post player down the line as Pau is sort of on the decline. Al J is only going to get better.

Al J and Gordon Hayward are actually my 2 favorite players on the Jazz. :drool:

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Not sure if serious.

Dwight Howard is a once in a generation talent that will probably go down as one of the best centers in NBA history. Not sure I can say the same for Brook, even though I believe he can be very good. And I'm not sure if you're serious with that defense comment.

That jersey you have in your sig, is that an actually jersey BKN will be wearing this season or is it graphic-designed?

Raph12
10-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Dwight's a better defensive and offensive player than Brook as well... Give me 20-23ppg on 57-60% shooting over 17-20ppg on 48-50% shooting any day of the week; give me post dominance over post versatility any day of the week; and give me unrivalled finishing ability over average-to-above average finishing ability any day of the week.

Dwight does everything better than Lopez, aside from shooting the basketball. Oh and if anyone wants a good laugh, here is the h2h between the two players:

Dwight Howard 10Ws 1L 35.1mpg 20.5ppg 14.5rpg 1.8apg 1.4spg 3.0bpg on 61.1fg%
Brook Lopez 1W 10Ls 31.5mpg 13.7ppg 6.4rpg 0.9apg 0.8spg 1.5bpg on 44.2fg%

Shaq's right, I'd want Brook too :eyebrow:

JerseysFinest
10-05-2012, 01:22 PM
That jersey you have in your sig, is that an actually jersey BKN will be wearing this season or is it graphic-designed?

No, it was designed by a designer named Will Fry, and he basically just wanted to make an art piece out of the jersey. Will never be released though since it's "plagiarizing".

http://hoopeduponline.com/2012/10/03/freshly-dipped-givenchy-brooklyn-nets-deron-williams-jersey/

DoMeFavors
10-05-2012, 01:27 PM

Offense and defense win championships, and one player doesnt make the difference its about team defense. One player isnt an entire defense.

Lakers4life08
10-05-2012, 01:29 PM
A lot of player can look good on **** teams,so if Lopez so good why his team sucks so bad??

JerseysFinest
10-05-2012, 01:30 PM
The moral of the story is, Brook Lopez is never touching Dwight Howard in terms of talent. But as long as he stays healthy, he should in time improve as a rebounder and defender. The offensive talent is there, but he has to improve getting in position down in the post and grab boards, improve his low post/interior defense, and learn how to pass out of double teams. Hopefully he's motivated to prove hiss critics wrong, and I believe he'll turn some heads this season. But at this point in time in the league today..
Dwight Howard is unquestionably the #1 center in the league, and Bynum is right behind him.

/thread.

koreancabbage
10-05-2012, 01:31 PM
You think Dwights numbers are going down with Nash, Kobe and Pau?

rebounding numbers might go down.

scoring might go up b/c of Nash, hence FG% might go up too. more pick and rolls, more high lows b/w Pau and Howard (scary combination cuz Howard might very well be/ is much more dominant downlow than Bynum was), and he won't be the center of attention anymore. (quite literally).

Dwight Howard will get his numbers quietly compared to previous seasons and it might be the easiest in his career in getting those scores.

I believe Nash is probably one of the best in finding teammates. Kobe Nash and Gasol will have fun finding Howard for the dunk all game long. but like I said, his rebounding numbers will go down.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Not sure if serious.

Offense and defense win championships, and one player doesnt make the difference its about team defense. One player isnt an entire defense.

But having your center as the anchor guy on defense makes life a whole lot easier for everyone else on the team, doesn't it?

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 01:32 PM
No, it was designed by a designer named Will Fry, and he basically just wanted to make an art piece out of the jersey. Will never be released though since it's "plagiarizing".

http://hoopeduponline.com/2012/10/03/freshly-dipped-givenchy-brooklyn-nets-deron-williams-jersey/

It actually looks pretty cool.

DoMeFavors
10-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Not sure if serious.

Once in a generation? Have you seen the 90s and early 2000s? the entire league was full of great centers half better than Dwight. Alonzo, Dikembe, Hakeem, Ewing, Shaq.

DoMeFavors
10-05-2012, 01:37 PM
But having your center as the anchor guy on defense makes life a whole lot easier for everyone else on the team, doesn't it?

Thee Anchor? What are you talking about...

That stat was made up by freakin ESPN lol....

There is no anchor its about team. No championship teams have anchors...

ldawg
10-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Did shaq had any game 2 feet away from the basket? He better be glad the NBA bent the rules or he would have fouled out every game.

ldawg
10-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Once in a generation? Have you seen the 90s and early 2000s? the entire league was full of great centers half better than Dwight. Alonzo, Dikembe, Hakeem, Ewing, Shaq.

Good center are rear in todays game they are mostly power fowards.

koreancabbage
10-05-2012, 01:54 PM

kinda puts it into perspective where Brook Lopez is huh?

DoMeFavors
10-05-2012, 02:12 PM
kinda puts it into perspective where Brook Lopez is huh?

Brook is an old school player he has the offense and foot work and dedication to hit free throws unlike some. Brook in my opinion is the best center in the league.

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Did shaq had any game 2 feet away from the basket? He better be glad the NBA bent the rules or he would have fouled out every game.

You're a fool man. :facepalm:
Don't disrespect Shaq like this.

Shaq had one of the most beautiful basic post games of All-Time.
His footwork was always a joy to watch along with his countless spin moves, fakes and counter moves in the post.

He also had a very smooth jumphook that was accurate out to 8-12 feet which he had almost fully developed by 95.

Shaq is one of the most skilled C's of All-Time you don't dominate the way he did just by being big and strong.

KnickaBocka.44
10-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Brook is an old school player he has the offense and foot work and dedication to hit free throws unlike some. Brook in my opinion is the best center in the league.

This is why you're a homer. No rational person would ever say that.

DoMeFavors
10-05-2012, 02:27 PM
This is why you're a homer. No rational person would ever say that.

define rational

maddBat
10-05-2012, 02:31 PM
brook lopez is a top center. a top offensive center that is. his weakness is his d and rebounding which are important qualities of an elite big. he hasnt showed any improvement in those aspects (yet) which is y he is frowned upon in this forum with evidence of him not making top 10 centers by poll.

in order for him to be considered among the elite he needs to prove this season he can rebound and play d. but his offensive repitoire/iq alone makes me believe he can be elite. he has good foot work and has range from just inside the 3 pt line. the only person i think that can consistently stop him is dwight n may b tchandler.

hes not elite (yet) but he has the tools to help him- the best team hes ever played with since joining the nba.

but this shouldnt even b a topic of dicsussion since he hasnt even stepped on the court yet since his injury. hes unproven.

xxplayerxx23
10-05-2012, 02:32 PM
:laugh2: He isn't even the best offensive center in the game let alone the 2nd best overal center in the game. Yeah Lopez is like Duncan minus the rebounding and defense, oh and Duncan had a better post game but besides that Lopez is just like Duncan.

KnickaBocka.44
10-05-2012, 02:50 PM
define rational

Rational: (adj.) having reason or understanding

There is no reason why Brook Lopez is the best center in the league and you seem to have trouble understanding that just because he plays on your favorite team and is skilled in one area of the game does not make him a better player than others at his position.

JasonJohnHorn
10-05-2012, 02:50 PM
The Nash-Dwight pick and roll is going to be flat out unstoppable. Who cares if he can't play with his back to the basket?

But Dwight CAN play with his back to the basket:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slOlB_LfB-o

Shaq needs to watch this video, a video that actually has DWIGHT POSTING UP ON SHAQ WITH HIS BACK TO THE BASKET and then he needs to STFU!

And comparing Lopez to Duncan? Duncan is one of the best defensive players in the history of the game. Lopez doesn't know what defence is. Duncan is also one of the best rebounders of his generation. Lopez... dude gets out rebounded by PGs. Ok, Lopez can hit a jumper, doesn't mean you can compare him to Duncan.

FAWK! Shaq get dumber by the day.

Captain Moroni
10-05-2012, 02:54 PM

Funny, wasnt it Shaq that said the Knicks were better then the Nets? The all seeing prophet that Shaq is?

Captain Moroni
10-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Brooke Lopez top 5 center? Nope. Not even close.

JasonJohnHorn
10-05-2012, 03:03 PM

You are right, there were a lot of centers better than Howard. Dikembe though? He and Howard were both great on defence and rebounding (maybe Dikembe was a litte better at each), but Howard's offensive game blows Mutumbo out of the water.

Hakeem and Robinson were the best centers of that generation in my eyes. And as they entered the twilight of their careers it became Shaq's generation, and Shaq is obviously more dominant than Howard. Ewing was a better offensive player than Dwight, but Dwight is the better rebounder and defender. I wouldn't say half the league was better than Dwight, but I will agree that Dwight wouldn't have made an All-NBA team.

As for Mourning, whose career was obviously cut short by the kindey issues he had, if you look at Mournings numbers from his rookie season up to the age of 29, which is when I believe the kidnet issues started, his numbers arent too different from Howard. Mourning was clearly the better shot blocker, but Howard is clearly the better rebounder, and their offensive out put was about equal.

Howard would still be a top-five center in the league if he had come into the league with Shaq and Mourning... by his fifth or sixth season he would would have been top five anyways... but, as deep as that league was, there is no way that half the centers were better than Howard. Maybe five or six, and more likely 3 or 4, but not half the league.

GiantsSwaGG
10-05-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm not surprise a homer started this thread!

JordansBulls
10-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Brook plays nothing like Duncan

Chill_Will_24
10-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Brook Lopez should not be in any conversation with Dwight, Bynum, Duncan, or even Marc Gasol at this point

Vampirate
10-05-2012, 03:37 PM
In just scoring maybe.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 03:37 PM

ESPN stats?

I'm talking about how the center is your last line of defense, and if you have a strong last line of defense (like the Lakers have with Dwight), it helps with your perimeter defense as you're able to funnel guys to go towards one direction where they'll hit the wall when they get to that point.

Vampirate
10-05-2012, 03:42 PM
The simple reason why Brook isn't the second best centre is, and i'm putting this basically.

a Centre does 3 things mainly.

Brook is a good scorer, but rebounding and defence other centres beat him

Other centres have 2 basic areas over him while he only has 1 over them.

Simply, if other Centres do 2 things better than you while you only do 1 thing better than them, they have more of an impact to winning.

Chill_Will_24
10-05-2012, 03:46 PM
He has some sweet shot fakes to draw fouls and some nifty moves for a guy his size bt to compare him to the greatest PF to play the game :pity: If i was Duncan i would be offended.

Vampirate
10-05-2012, 03:50 PM
He has some sweet shot fakes to draw fouls and some nifty moves for a guy his size bt to compare him to the greatest PF to play the game :pity: If i was Duncan i would be offended.

Why be offended, if I was Duncan i'd look at my fingers, count my rings, then phone Barkely, laugh and ask if he had too much booze when he said this.

Chill_Will_24
10-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Why be offended, if I was Duncan i'd look at my fingers, count my rings, then phone Barkely, laugh and ask if he had too much booze when he said this.

It wasn't Barkley who said this nonsense, it was Shaq. However you are right so i will take it back; Duncan should not be offended. He should be amused and in hysterics.

koreancabbage
10-05-2012, 04:15 PM

being old school means nothing. Yes he has good footwork and dedication but he is so crappy everywhere else, he's a lame duck on defence (which includes rebounding) that whatever. He's slow and a liability on defence.

imo, he's not the best center. heck all of PSD didn't even put him ahead of 10 other centres in voting.

Lopez =/= Duncan.

you compared him to a future HOF? Lopez wouldn't even touch a ballet for the HOF when his career is done.

Bruno
10-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Lopez has lots of potential offensively. lots of weapons. true.

but defense and rebounding make this a non-debate. especially rebounding. he averaged six rebounds per game over 82 games in 2011! that just can't happen if you're a seven footer, it's embarrassing. I'd be embarrassed about that if I were him.

jmaest
10-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Ewing was a better offensive player than Dwight, but Dwight is the better rebounder and defender. I wouldn't say half the league was better than Dwight, but I will agree that Dwight wouldn't have made an All-NBA team.

I'm a Bulls fan and I couldn't disagree with you more. Ewing was a much more complete player than Howard is and he was a better defender and rebounder. Ewing's rebounding numbers may not reflect it but that's only because Ewing always played with a good rebounding front court. More rebounders together will equate to less individual numbers for any of them.

Also, Ewing defended big Centers every game. In this thread people have mentioned all the stars BUT they haven't mentioned all the Centers. In Ewing's day it wasn't just Hakeem or Robinson but there was a slew of Centers who had to be respected and had a better fundamental game than most of today's players. Rik Smits is one that immediately comes to mind. That guy could score on anyone.

I digress, Howard covers a true Center once every so often--and he doesn't do all that great a job of it if we're being honest. There's only 4 of them in the league that I can think of: Duncan, Bynum, Hibbard, and Lopez himself. There are others who play Center but those 3 are the only ones I would consider "true" Centers. (But that's just my opinion.)

Howard is a defensive presence in the middle, as was Ewing, but individually I would be much more comfortable with Ewing covering an opposing Center over Howard.

I'm not trying to kill Howard, by the way. He's this generations best Center. But is Howard a "great" Center? No, I don't think he is. I think Bynum has a much better fundamental base than Howard does and, if I were the Lakers, I might not have made the trade. (Bynum being a head case and all that left aside for purposes of just a discussion around talent.)

As far as this discussion goes, Lopez is definitely a better post player and better from a distance but I wouldn't say Lopez is better. He's more complete and solid fundamentally. But again, I wouldn't say Lopez is better than Howard.

I would bet that's the point Shaq was trying to make but he's a meathead and couldn't speak right. Lopez is more complete and has better fundamentals. Howard's athleticism and ability to move without the basketball just makes him more of a "force" for lack of a better word.

Gibby23
10-05-2012, 04:38 PM

but defense and rebounding make this a non-debate. especially rebounding. he averaged six rebounds per game over 82 games in 2011! that just can't happen if you're a seven footer, it's embarrassing. I'd be embarrassed about that if I were him.

I think Brook is such a poor rebounder because he has played with his brother his entire life. Robin is the better rebounder and defender, but brook has always been the polished offensive guy and star on the teams they were on.

2-ONE-5
10-05-2012, 04:46 PM

then what was Ben Wallace and Mutumbo?

they were the ANCHORS!

DoMeFavors
10-05-2012, 04:58 PM
then what was Ben Wallace and Mutumbo?

they were the ANCHORS!

Yeah and how many championships combined?

Most championship teams have an offensive big man

ee
10-05-2012, 05:10 PM
another one of the same thread.....until lopez plays, he'll get laughed at.... so stop making these threads and wait for the games to start...

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Nets fans must be happy with their boy getting all this praise.

2-ONE-5
10-05-2012, 05:27 PM

how many does Lopez have?

outside of Wallace any team with a good big man had one who played on both ends of the floor. How many ends does Lopez play on?

KnickaBocka.44
10-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Really? So why didn't Dirk win a championship until Tyson, a defensive Center went to Dallas?

Tim Duncan and Shaq, although he could have been a better defender, could both impact the game on both ends of the floor, not just on offense.

seikou8
10-05-2012, 05:39 PM
domefavors him and mr la are biggest homers

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Really? So why didn't Dirk win a championship until Tyson, a defensive Center went to Dallas?

Tim Duncan and Shaq, although he could have been a better defender, could both impact the game on both ends of the floor, not just on offense.

Agree with you here.
Both Duncan (and yes Shaq) were excellent defensive anchors.

More-Than-Most
10-05-2012, 05:54 PM

:facepalm:

I rarely say this about any poster but why do people even respond to this? Shaq hates dwight and is doing his normal BS... DoMeFavors does not comprehend defense and the impact of defense and rebounding and thus he overrates his players...So why keep going at him? Its just pointless

This is going to turn into one big cluster **** of people trying to prove him/her wrong while he continues to say the same thing.

Bruno
10-05-2012, 06:12 PM
I think Brook is such a poor rebounder because he has played with his brother his entire life. Robin is the better rebounder and defender, but brook has always been the polished offensive guy and star on the teams they were on.

makes sense I guess, and I remember that because I live up the street from where they went to high-school. but still, he's been in the league for several years. you have to want to be a good rebounder.

Vinylman
10-05-2012, 06:19 PM
What is so funny is how everybody has overlooked the fact that Shaq is doing the same thing to Duncan that he is doing to Howard because he doesn't respect tim either...

it is no secret that tim and shaq never cared for one another (which is putting it mildly)

Shaq is trolling HARD

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 06:34 PM
What is so funny is how everybody has overlooked the fact that Shaq is doing the same thing to Duncan that he is doing to Howard because he doesn't respect tim either...

it is no secret that tim and shaq never cared for one another (which is putting it mildly)

Shaq is trolling HARD
No you are trolling hard.
Shaq and Tim are good friends and have always said kind things about eachother.

Shaq has always shown the utmost respect to Duncan and has praised him countless times.

Just because O'neal made an off hand comparison to Lopez's game that it is quiet but effective like Duncans
(which was meant as compliment).
You'd have to be an idiot or trolling to think that was a shot at Duncan. You choose.

Quit spewing bulls***.
Did Shaq and your mother have a relationship or something?

:o

xxplayerxx23
10-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Lopez>Duncan hate on, That was for you DMF I GOT YOUR BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smiddy012
10-05-2012, 07:49 PM
-

Aleksandar
10-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Shaq's comments are starting to be awkward..

KnicksR4Real
10-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Well, he still isn't worse than Barkley

jmoney85
10-05-2012, 09:05 PM
lopez > wilt

JordansBulls
10-05-2012, 10:12 PM

Yeah 6 rpg for a Center is terrible. Guards get that.