PDA

View Full Version : Does boston still have a big 3 ???

smith&wesson
10-04-2012, 09:23 PM
alot of posters have boston as the number 2 or 3 seed in the east and consider them contenders. they are def deeper and that could be the reason why ppl have them so high but im curious to know if posters think they still have a big 3.

rondo could easily replace allen as one of the big 3 as he is one of the better pg's in the game and an elite player over all.

so the question is, can rondo, kg & pierce still be considered a big 3 ?

Avenged
10-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Nope.

They are ranked highly because they are well rounded.

IndyRealist
10-04-2012, 09:37 PM
I don't after the first year anyone considered it "the big 3" anymore. It was the "big 4" or 5 depending on how you felt about Perkins. Some people called him the best defensive center in the league at the time.

xxplayerxx23
10-04-2012, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't consider them a big3. I like them as a team overal. KG-Rondo-Pierce are a nice 3 but I wouldn't compare them to the big boy combos

Hustlenomics
10-04-2012, 09:39 PM
depends how Pierce and KG play because Rondo is going to carry the team again

JNoel
10-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Nope.

Spot on.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Seeing how loosely the term "Big 3" has been thrown around lately, then yes. If it wasn't, then no.

smith&wesson
10-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Seeing how loosely the term "Big 3" has been thrown around lately, then yes. If it wasn't, then no.

How many big 3's are there really though?

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Rondo, Garnett, Pierce.

And then you add Bradley, Terry and Lee to that, pretty good I must say.

topdog
10-05-2012, 02:14 AM
I don't after the first year anyone considered it "the big 3" anymore. It was the "big 4" or 5 depending on how you felt about Perkins. Some people called him the best defensive center in the league at the time.

Yeah, I don't think it's been accurate for awhile in any true sense. It was more of a media/marketing thing to call them the "big 3." Quite frankly, I think people are getting tired of that term.

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-05-2012, 02:19 AM
pierce is nowhere near being part of any big 3.

KJ and Hondo along with terry might have a case.

Lakers4life08
10-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Its Rondo team now,Pierce gamestyle is old fashion so he can play easy until 35 on top level,he never was fast or athletic,Garnnet also will be ok becouse he is hard worker and in today nba most of the center are quite poor...he is still class above players like M.Gasol and B.Lopez....so yes its still BIG 3.....and R.Allen last season looked like he is declining fastest of the Big 3

MetroMan
10-05-2012, 02:34 AM
does miami have a big 4 or 5?

FOXHOUND
10-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Well to me the "Big 3" last year was already Pierce, KG and Rondo, with Allen getting older and more phased out.

But, really, that depends on your definition on what qualifies as a "Big" player. To me, it's an All-Star, or a player of that caliber or pretty close to it.

Miami - LeBron, Wade, Bosh
Lakers - Kobe, Howard, Nash/Pau (whichever you prefer lol)
Thunder - Durant, Westbrook, Harden
Knicks- Melo, Chandler, Amare
Spurs - Parker, Duncan, Ginobili
Memphis - Gay, Randolph, Gasol

I think that's as far as you can stretch it, unless I forgot some team. To me, the Boston trio would come in above Memphis for sure, so I think that they are still a Big 3.

Hawkeye15
10-05-2012, 02:46 AM
No. Pierce is on the decline, KG as well offensively, and Rondo is not capable of leading a top offense without weapons. The Celtics should be a very good team due to their defense this year, thanks to the scheme and KG, but their offense will continue to drop efficiency wise.

PurpleJesus
10-05-2012, 02:48 AM

wait, Pierce cant be part of a big 3 anymore, but Terry can be? thats crazy talk.

FOXHOUND
10-05-2012, 02:50 AM
wait, Pierce cant be part of a big 3 anymore, but Terry can be? thats crazy talk.

Almost as crazy as the Celtics having Kevin Johnson, John Havlicek and Jason Terry.

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-05-2012, 02:58 AM

Havliceck coming out of retirement for Boston? :laugh2:

Kashmir13579
10-05-2012, 03:25 AM
Yes, absolutely. Until Pierce and KG are pushing up flowers so to speak. They've had a big 3 for the last few seasons and Ray Allen wasn't a part of it, imo.

SteBO
10-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Yes, absolutely. Until Pierce and KG are pushing up flowers so to speak. They've had a big 3 for the last few seasons and Ray Allen wasn't a part of it, imo.
Yup. My thoughts here as well. I think Rondo pushed Ray out of that group a couple years ago.

koreancabbage
10-05-2012, 09:11 AM
def a good team. good enough to win a championship? conference finals probably. Finals? na.

Andrew32
10-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Garnett, Pierce and Rondo are all considered stars I believe so I guess that could qualify as a big 3.

xcrisisx
10-05-2012, 09:58 AM
does miami have a big 4 or 5?

lol no:facepalm:

bagwell368
10-05-2012, 10:17 AM

Perkins defensive peak was in 2007-2010. But he only played about 27 minutes a game. No on "Big 5" for him. He also needed KG around. No on best defensive center - unless you mean in the paint only against Dwight Howard.

Rondo has been an influential player - and was borderline great 2008-2010. So in order to argue for him - define big 3?

To me Big 3 means 3 players that were routinely in the top 25 in the NBA in a given season and headed for the HOF.

This year, I'm not sure they will have anyone fit that bill - never mind 3. Rondo didn't crack the top 50 players last year (those shooting stats keep killing him), and Garnett and PP had fine years for their ages, but just made it into the #25-30 range on the year.

Nope. If they are going to win, it's like the other poster said - depth. You need to go back to the Sonics before you have a team that won with a balanced deep team with no super stars.

bagwell368
10-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Yup. My thoughts here as well. I think Rondo pushed Ray out of that group a couple years ago.

In 2009-2010 and 2011-2012 Rondo had better years then Ray

In 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2010-2011 Ray was better then Rondo.

bagwell368
10-05-2012, 10:22 AM
depends how Pierce and KG play because Rondo is going to carry the team again

Hahhahahha.

KG was the best player on the team last year, followed closely by Pierce.

Rondo was a good deal behind both and beat out Allen only because Allen was hurt.

You'll even diss better Celts to push your Rondo agenda.

Pathetic.

bagwell368
10-05-2012, 10:25 AM

Now or ever? Now I agree his top 20 player in the league days are over. But like it or not he's in the top 35 all time.

TheNumber37
10-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Well, Rondo is an all NBA defensive All Star who regularly gets triple doubles and plays extremely well in the playoffs in big games.
That's 1 plus KG and Pierce. Yes, I'd say that equals 3, with Rondo being the best player out of the 3 right now. Don't forget about Jason Terry, the C's finally have a 6th man of the year candidate, he's going to make it a big 4 bring 15ppg 5apg. of the bench.

LongIslandIcedZ
10-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Well Rondo is obviously better than Ray Allen, so I suppose in that sense they can keep their big three nickname. But the only "big 3" I see, is Wade/Lebron/Bosh. I think I would consider the Lakers a "big 4."

JasonJohnHorn
10-05-2012, 12:02 PM
I put yes, but in all honestly they've been more of a "team", even in the first season they ran with Pierce, Garnett and Allen. I mean, even then Rondo did most of the ball handling and Perkins was a big part fo the team on the defensive end. And as the years have gone on they've depended more and more on the supporting cast, like the Spurs Duncan/Manu/Pakrer depend on their supporting cast.

Corey
10-05-2012, 12:25 PM
They just have a well rounded roster with many options.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Yea. Rondo, KG and Pierce are still a top 8 trio in the league.

Corey
10-05-2012, 12:31 PM

How is Pierce 'nowhere near' being part of any big 3?

Rivera
10-05-2012, 12:33 PM
they were the big 3 last year in the playoffs: rondo, kg n pierce

Da Knicks
10-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Yes, Pierce is streaky but when the playoffs start his light goes on. Rondo plays great in the playoffs as well and Kg is still a monster on defense...

Patriotsfan97
10-05-2012, 01:13 PM
No. Pierce is on the decline, KG as well offensively, and Rondo is not capable of leading a top offense without weapons. The Celtics should be a very good team due to their defense this year, thanks to the scheme and KG, but their offense will continue to drop efficiency wise.

Did you watch KG in the playoffs? KG was unbelievable on offense.

But to answer the question, I don't think they are "Miami Big 3" worthy, but they are a better Big 3 than the other jokes in the NBA, like the Knicks, Grizzlies, etc. Big 3's need chemistry, and I don't think you can have better chemistry than how the Celts have it. From what I read, the whole "Ray Allen vs. Rondo" debacle was the only thing bringing the chemistry down. Now that that is gone, and we add in Terry, who has one of the biggest drives and wills to win on the team, and Lee, who has been a major contributor off the bench in Houston, who also knows what it means to be in a Celtic uni and has the drive to win it all. This Celtics team has so much passion to win the Championship I have seen in quite some time. I think this team is based on a "Big 15", where if everyone contributes to the potential they have, and all put in their work, they will win it all. Not have to have one player carry the team to the Finals. The Celtics will have the deepest bench in the NBA with:
Rondo Terry Smith
Lee Christmas
Pierce Green Joseph
Bass Sullinger Milicic
Garnett Wilcox Collins Melo
This is the opening day Roster. When Bradley comes back we will have Terry, Lee, Green, Sullinger, and Wilcox off the bench, which could honestly beat some NBA teams with just that lineup. Depth carries you deep into the playoffs, and this team has huge depth.

bagwell368
10-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Well, Rondo is an all NBA defensive All Star who regularly gets triple doubles and plays extremely well in the playoffs in big games.

Did you look at his percentage of triple doubles in games NOT on National TV? Very grim. Why can't he play hard every night?

smith&wesson
10-05-2012, 01:28 PM

But to answer the question, I don't think they are "Miami Big 3" worthy, but they are a better Big 3 than the other jokes in the NBA, like the Knicks, Grizzlies, etc. Big 3's need chemistry, and I don't think you can have better chemistry than how the Celts have it. From what I read, the whole "Ray Allen vs. Rondo" debacle was the only thing bringing the chemistry down. Now that that is gone, and we add in Terry, who has one of the biggest drives and wills to win on the team, and Lee, who has been a major contributor off the bench in Houston, who also knows what it means to be in a Celtic uni and has the drive to win it all. This Celtics team has so much passion to win the Championship I have seen in quite some time. I think this team is based on a "Big 15", where if everyone contributes to the potential they have, and all put in their work, they will win it all. Not have to have one player carry the team to the Finals. The Celtics will have the deepest bench in the NBA with:
Rondo Terry Smith
Lee Christmas
Pierce Green Joseph
Bass Sullinger Milicic
This is the opening day Roster. When Bradley comes back we will have Terry, Lee, Green, Sullinger, and Wilcox off the bench, which could honestly beat some NBA teams with just that lineup. Depth carries you deep into the playoffs, and this team has huge depth.

They took them to 7 games in the playoffs last season.

ray allen is gone, but terry and bradley & lee will easily replace him.

bagwell368
10-05-2012, 02:31 PM
They took them to 7 games in the playoffs last season.

ray allen is gone, but terry and bradley & lee will easily replace him.

And a meh Philly team took them to 7. And the Celts were lucky to miss the Bulls.

Terry, Bradley, and Lee will MORE than replace Allen. But who will replace the the declining Pierce and KG or make up for the woeful shortage of depth in Boston at the #4 and #5 slots?

IndyRealist
10-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I don't think it's been accurate for awhile in any true sense. It was more of a media/marketing thing to call them the "big 3." Quite frankly, I think people are getting tired of that term.

"Big 3" does have a sound basis though. It's the Pareto Principle: 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people. In the case of a 15 man NBA team, 3 players. That's why big 3's are so important. Can you have a big 4, or 5, or a balanced team? Yes. But it's not the easiest way to build.

Hawkeye15
10-05-2012, 06:48 PM

Rondo Terry Smith
Lee Christmas
Pierce Green Joseph
Bass Sullinger Milicic

I am speaking about their traditional Big 3, throughout a regular season and playoffs. Notice as Allen, Pierce, and KG got older, and were incapable of being the offensive players they were prior over the entire course of a season, Boston's offensive efficiency slowly dropped. As they asked more of Rondo on that end, the offense got worse. Period. Their defense is still amazing however, and as long as their offense doesn't fall off a cliff (they finished 27th last year), their defense will keep them elite in the east.

Meh, depth is more important in the regular season, when you need to whether injuries, and monitor minutes for the vets on that team. Come playoff time, depth only matters if one of the starters or main rotation guys is hurt. Rotations shorten come playoff time.

Bruno
10-05-2012, 06:50 PM
their big three still exists, they're just not a top three, big three anymore. so their impact as a big three isn't as explicit as the name would imply. but they have great depth and a great coach.

jerellh528
10-05-2012, 06:52 PM
they are getting creamed on NBA tv right now.

jk, but really i think not, a BIG # means all stars, imo pierce/ garnett are no longer all stars

Giraffes Rule
10-05-2012, 07:01 PM
I am speaking about their traditional Big 3, throughout a regular season and playoffs. Notice as Allen, Pierce, and KG got older, and were incapable of being the offensive players they were prior over the entire course of a season, Boston's offensive efficiency slowly dropped. As they asked more of Rondo on that end, the offense got worse. Period. Their defense is still amazing however, and as long as their offense doesn't fall off a cliff (they finished 27th last year), their defense will keep them elite in the east.

Meh, depth is more important in the regular season, when you need to whether injuries, and monitor minutes for the vets on that team. Come playoff time, depth only matters if one of the starters or main rotation guys is hurt. Rotations shorten come playoff time.
Pretty much this. What has depth done for the Nuggets, Pacers, or Spurs in the last couple of seasons? Even if those benches are being used the same way as in the regular season, they end up doing it against better players in the playoffs and not playing to the same level.

Kashmir13579
10-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Did you watch the pre-season game? Fab Melo has A LOT to learn, but as a Celtic fan you gotta love seeing a 7 footer with that kind of mobility.

b@llhog24
10-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Not really.

Corey
10-05-2012, 08:57 PM

Did you watch the pre-season game? Fab Melo has A LOT to learn, but as a Celtic fan you gotta love seeing a 7 footer with that kind of mobility.I, as well as many others, were much more impressed with Darko than Melo.

Melo runs the floor fine, but he has crap for hands and has a load of bad habits that you dont want a big man to have.

He will be in the NBDL this year.

Kashmir13579
10-05-2012, 09:21 PM
I, as well as many others, were much more impressed with Darko than Melo.

Melo runs the floor fine, but he has crap for hands and has a load of bad habits that you dont want a big man to have.

He will be in the NBDL this year.

Its a project. Gotta love his mobility if nothing else.

Kashmir13579
10-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Specifically his lateral movement. Crazy for a 7 footer.

JordansBulls
10-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Nope.

This. Also Rondo is the best player on the team now.

b@llhog24
10-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Nope.

How so?

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 05:34 PM
How so?

That Rondo is the best player on the team or that they are well rounded?

bagwell368
10-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Not by last year, he was firmly ensconced in 3rd, perhaps 4th if Ray hadn't been injured.

He gets the crown when he earns it.

dodie53
10-08-2012, 06:53 PM
still a big 3

mrblisterdundee
10-08-2012, 07:07 PM
It's really close. According to #NBARank, Rajon Rondo (11), Kevin Garnett (21) and Paul Pierce (29) are still ranked pretty high. The Spurs' Tony Parker (16), Manu Ginobili (25) and Tim Duncan (27) are a similar case.
I voted no. I don't think the core of the Celtics and Spurs have the concentrated talent any more to be big threes. They're just really cohesive teams that play great defense as a whole.
Realistically, only the Heat and Lakers can say they have a big three - the Thunder would also be considered, depending on where you put James Harden. Los Angeles and Miami both have at least three players in the top 20.

bagwell368
10-08-2012, 08:07 PM
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Any publication or poll which has Rondo 11th (or 12th) when I looked is garbage. Total and absolute.

He was at best #60 last year.

unwantedplayer
10-08-2012, 08:54 PM
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Any publication or poll which has Rondo 11th (or 12th) when I looked is garbage. Total and absolute.

I agree that its absurd to have Rondo at 11th/12th but at best 60th? I can't agree with that.

mrblisterdundee
10-08-2012, 09:21 PM
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Rondo is a very inept scorer. It's his greatness in other areas that keeps him so high.

CubsBullsBucs
10-08-2012, 09:38 PM
random question, but does anybody know when ESPN will update the fantasy rankings (top 150), cheat sheet, mock drafts, etc....?

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Not by last year, he was firmly ensconced in 3rd, perhaps 4th if Ray hadn't been injured.

He gets the crown when he earns it.

How would you rank the 3 of them?

Arch Stanton
10-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Yes

Steelers23_06
10-09-2012, 03:26 AM
i dont agree i dont think it was only about talent because rondo has established himself as an elite pg whereas i think you would have to make a case for any of the other to be an elite player at their position but it was the fact that they came together and how they did it. its more about the story. i listen to WEEI bostons sports radio and they never refer to the new team as the big 3 because its the end of the big 3 v2's era.

bagwell368
10-09-2012, 08:06 AM
How would you rank the 3 of them?

Last year:

KG

PP
Rondo

Allen
Bass

===========

This year, it's liable to be Rondo v KG. If KG is as healthy as last year, he's got a great shot to stay ahead. Dinged up? Then it would probably be Rondo.

I have this team winning 54-59 games. If they are healthy in the playoffs and get some big luck (key injuries to better teams they face) and win - they will probably go down as the most most balanced team to win since the Super Sonics all those years ago. But I have them at about 3.5-4% likely to win - so don't worry too much about them.

xcrisisx
10-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Did you look at his percentage of triple doubles in games NOT on National TV? Very grim. Why can't he play hard every night?

biased argument

Shytown
10-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Sullinger, Bradley & Rondo = The Next Era Big 3! bank it. lol
Wait or, Green, Sullinger & Rondo......

Yeah they still have a Big Three.

ManningToTyree
10-09-2012, 12:59 PM
If Pierce bounces back then yes. Rondo is clearly the star and KG is coming off a very impressive season for this stage of his career.